New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Banned

Default Re: Kill la Kill: The first life fiber is what?!

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Okay, I think Terra's going a little overboard here, but I'm also pretty sure the show doesn't really have anything outstandingly good about it. Action, not the best, story, dystopian settings are a dime a dozen. Normally, it would be a good action show, but when you combine that with the controversy of how the show handles its themes, it's hard to recommend it over the other numerous action anime out there.
    I'm specifically referring to as it relates to said themes. While it's true that I don't think the show is very good even beyond them, I also think it's irrelevant to the discussion and not really a position I've bothered to argue. Because, yes, I'll readily admit that I appear to be in the minority on that topic.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Firbolg in the Playground

Okay, I think Terra's going a little overboard here, but I'm also pretty sure the show doesn't really have anything outstandingly good about it. Action, not the best, story, dystopian settings are a dime a dozen. Normally, it would be a good action show, but when you combine that with the controversy of how the show handles its themes, it's hard to recommend it over the other numerous action anime out there.
    That's really something of an understatement. Half the time I don't know if I'm hallucinating or if she's being serious, or if this is somehow a big, elaborate joke being played on me. I mean Poison Fish tried to seperate this thread from Straw Feminism but that's kind of hard to do when literally every trick in the book is being pulled out in rapid succession by someone right here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    something something Jayngfet experience.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Thank you for proving you're just as crazy as her by completely ignoring my argument, instead preferring to take any hold you can get to try and pry the opposing argument open.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2014-02-09 at 06:12 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

4. - Top - End - #244

Thank you for proving you're just as crazy as her by completely ignoring my argument, instead preferring to take any hold you can get to try and pry the opposing argument open.
    Hey, I already said at length why it was supposed to be good in those regards. I didn't feel like repeating myself.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Banned

That's really something of an understatement. Half the time I don't know if I'm hallucinating or if she's being serious, or if this is somehow a big, elaborate joke being played on me. I mean Poison Fish tried to seperate this thread from Straw Feminism but that's kind of hard to do when literally every trick in the book is being pulled out in rapid succession by someone right here.
    You mean apart from the violence, the ridiculously male outfits, the literal shouting, the death threats, the hysteria breaking sentences into fragments, the gender essentialism, the insistence that all men are rapists...I could go on, but the latter is interesting, so I'll stop to elaborate on that one. I've repeatedly said that the behavior I consider sexual harassment is something most men don't do, while Soras and Draconus have said they're intrinsic to male sexuality. So, really, aren't they closer than me to being the ones to make that claim?

I've pretty consistently argued that men are capable of self-control, restraint and having a sexuality that doesn't involve cat calling women, after all. Which is kind of the opposite of calling all men rapists.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Colossus in the Playground

...you people are making me want to actually watch the show just to know what this is all about.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

7. - Top - End - #247

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    ...you people are making me want to actually watch the show just to know what this is all about.
    Do, it's a good show

But yeah, I'm a lady who watches anime, and I think you're taking this REALLY seriously, which is cool, but probably also excessive.

At any rate, I'm quite excited for the next episode

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree with Terraoblivion here. I'm rather shocked at the views expressed by Jayngfet and others stating that they're stunned and horrified by her views, as they seem rather reasonable to me. I'm afraid I haven't watched the anime, but judging from what's said here, I don't see this anime as being particularly good with a woman-friendly message.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

Well if you want to spend your time on it, good for you, you can make an informed opinion on it.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

10. - Top - End - #250
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

I keep trying to come up with plot threads that we could follow that could eat up the next 8 or so episodes before the series ends but the show keeps throwing in curveballs that completely changes the overall focus in nearly every episode.

11. - Top - End - #251

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    I agree with Terraoblivion here. I'm rather shocked at the views expressed by Jayngfet and others stating that they're stunned and horrified by her views, as they seem rather reasonable to me. I'm afraid I haven't watched the anime, but judging from what's said here, I don't see this anime as being particularly good with a woman-friendly message.
    It's a cartoon.

I mean, I get it, I like anime and I love reading into it and stuff, but not everything is presenting a message. It's just...it's just telling a story guys. You're taking things way to seriously

12. - Top - End - #252

Terraoblivion and others devolved into personal attacks, name calling, and cheap tactics. How in the world am I supposed to support that?

Yes, everyone else did too, but if you've actually been paying attention I've been coming down on them just as hard elsewhere.

To put it bluntly, I'm a terrible person, you're all terrible people, and this thread is terrible.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    It's a cartoon.

I mean, I get it, I like anime and I love reading into it and stuff, but not everything is presenting a message. It's just...it's just telling a story guys. You're taking things way to seriously
    Cartoons are important, man. They're not totally harmless. They affect how you and I think when we watch 'em. Maybe not drastically, but it does have an effect.

Terraoblivion and others devolved into personal attacks, name calling, and cheap tactics. How in the world am I supposed to support that?

Yes, everyone else did too, but if you've actually been paying attention I've been coming down on them just as hard elsewhere.

To put it bluntly, I'm a terrible person, you're all terrible people, and this thread is terrible.
    I wasn't really talking about the name calling or cheap tactics, just what was being said. About the sexism and junk? I think the show sounds pretty awful with that. But, y'know, whatevs, man. Y'all can enjoy whatever you want to.
    Last edited by Tectonic Robot; 2014-02-09 at 06:38 PM.

14. - Top - End - #254

I wasn't really talking about the name calling or cheap tactics, just what was being said. About the sexism and junk? I think the show sounds pretty awful with that. But, y'know, whatevs, man. Y'all can enjoy whatever you want to.
    Of course, as I keep saying, the show is obviously going somewhere with this.

You're free to say it is or isn't a good place, but please, wait until it actually gets there.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

Excellent soundtrack? Large amounts of ham and dramatic speeches and declarations? As far as I'm concerned, it excels at all the things that make it a fun spectacle for me to look forward every week.

Go for it!
    High School Harem Comedy, my original game system!

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

Of course, as I keep saying, the show is obviously going somewhere with this.

You're free to say it is or isn't a good place, but please, wait until it actually gets there.
    Fair enough. I'd like to say that the messages presented so far, assuming what Terraoblivion has been complaining about has been correct, have been rather harmful, but it'd be best to wait to see what kind of conclusion they make of it before passing final judgment.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    It's a cartoon.

Not everything has a deliberate message, yes. However stories display assumptions and world views and their content is influenced by what is viewed as acceptable and what as unacceptable. Things happening in them echo cultural memes. That doesn't change because it's a cartoon. *shrugs*

Anyway cartoon fits something I have been thinking when watching the first episodes. It reminded me a bit of a western cartoon (not in all aspects of course), though I can't quite remember what inspired the feeling... Did others have that association too?

18. - Top - End - #258

Fair enough. I'd like to say that the messages presented so far, assuming what Terraoblivion has been complaining about has been correct, have been rather harmful, but it'd be best to wait to see what kind of conclusion they make of it before passing final judgment.
    Honestly, I only became convinced they were going somewhere over the last few weeks, but things have obviously been building and building to something major. As we've seen, most of the old assumptions about what the show is "about" have been largely incorrect and nobody really know where it'll end up at this point.

It doesn't need to be particularly deep, but even one inch counts as depth and I want to see where that inch goes before I try to step into it.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    Anyway cartoon fits something I have been thinking when watching the first episodes. It reminded me a bit of a western cartoon (not in all aspects of course), though I can't quite remember what inspired the feeling... Did others have that association too?
    The writer and director love American cartoons. It was more pronounced in Panty and Stocking, but it's certainly here as well, yes.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

Honestly, I only became convinced they were going somewhere over the last few weeks, but things have obviously been building and building to something major. As we've seen, most of the old assumptions about what the show is "about" have been largely incorrect and nobody really know where it'll end up at this point.

It doesn't need to be particularly deep, but even one inch counts as depth and I want to see where that inch goes before I try to step into it.
    Yeah, I can totes respect that opinion. I hope it ends up well for ya.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, having just finished up to episode 4, Terra sounds like she’s been right so far. I mean, yeah, I can see how someone can get a body-positivity message out of “you have to be comfortable in your own skin to unlock the full power of a Kamui” but it sort of gets ruined by
    • The sheer amount of skin that the Kamui shows, and this the wearer has to be comfortable with showing
    • All the men in-universe that are watching the fight leering and nosebleeding over the main character while she is expositing about how she figured out how the Kamui works
    • The fact that the two other girls who have been able to unlock the full power of a Kamui are (self-proclaimed, mind you) shameless and uncaring about how they look as long as they can become powerful.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

22. - Top - End - #262

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    Yeah, having just finished up to episode 4, Terra sounds like she’s been right so far. I mean, yeah, I can see how someone can get a body-positivity message out of “you have to be comfortable in your own skin to unlock the full power of a Kamui” but it sort of gets ruined by
    • The sheer amount of skin that the Kamui shows, and this the wearer has to be comfortable with showing
    • All the men in-universe that are watching the fight leering and nosebleeding over the main character while she is expositing about how she figured out how the Kamui works
    • The fact that the two other girls who have been able to unlock the full power of a Kamui are (self-proclaimed, mind you) shameless and uncaring about how they look as long as they can become powerful.
    Which is a fair assessment, for episode four. You need to get into the teens to get into most of the stuff I've actually mentioned. Most of the formula established up to that point winds up being quickly abandoned anyway. Kill la Kill is a totally different game after a few episodes more, and a different game after that a few episodes later, then after that, then so on...

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sigh View Post
    I keep trying to come up with plot threads that we could follow that could eat up the next 8 or so episodes before the series ends but the show keeps throwing in curveballs that completely changes the overall focus in nearly every episode.
    Clearly it will end with Ryuko and Satsuki teaming up while standing ontop universes (plural) fighting when it turns out Life Fibers are.... string theory.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Banned

Which is a fair assessment, for episode four. You need to get into the teens to get into most of the stuff I've actually mentioned. Most of the formula established up to that point winds up being quickly abandoned anyway. Kill la Kill is a totally different game after a few episodes more, and a different game after that a few episodes later, then after that, then so on...
    Not really. It's still the same bold lines, heavily expressionistic visuals, shouting, hard-edged line delivery, fights based around still poses and flashing lights in the background, the same quantity and type of jokes, the same very skimpy outfits and so on. It only really changes on the level of plot and maybe with a slight pick-up of pacing.
    Last edited by Terraoblivion; 2014-02-09 at 07:09 PM.

25. - Top - End - #265

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    Not really. It's still the same bold lines, heavily expressionistic visuals, shouting, hard-edged line delivery, fights based around still poses and flashing lights in the background, the same quantity and type of jokes, the same very skimpy outfits and so on. It only really changes on the level of plot and maybe with a slight pick-up of pacing.
    You know, about a year ago I swapped from liberal arts to animation and I'm hoping to specialize in character design eventually.

I still think that this statement is entirely laughable.

"It doesn't change, except in terms of the plot."

I mean really lady, really?

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Clearly it will end with Ryuko and Satsuki teaming up while standing ontop universes (plural) fighting when it turns out Life Fibers are.... string theory.
    I all but promise you someone's going to at the very least have a string theory themed powerset or make the correlation to life fibers being the fiber of the universe.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Banned

You know, about a year ago I swapped from liberal arts to animation and I'm hoping to specialize in character design eventually.

I still think that this statement is entirely laughable.

"It doesn't change, except in terms of the plot."

I mean really lady, really?
    Okay, true, new outfits for characters who hadn't gotten to show them off before show up. They're...roughly the same style as the outfits as before.

Also, I thought it had been pointed out before that simply throwing credentials that nobody can check around isn't a very productive pursuit. Nor is appealing to self-evidence, for that matter.

In any case, don't expect things to change completely Herpestidae. There isn't really anything backing that up.

28. - Top - End - #268

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    Okay, true, new outfits for characters who hadn't gotten to show them off before show up. They're...roughly the same style as the outfits as before.
    ...what? The new outfits are largely in totally different styles and characters like the elite four have gotten multiple costumes over the last few episodes. Some off which were wildly different to serve different purposes.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

I think he's more mocking the fact that you're being so dismissive of such a "tiny" thing as the plot changing, which it has much more than just a bit.

And yes if we don't get some kind of joke about String Theory at some point then heads will roll.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Banned

...what? The new outfits are largely in totally different styles and characters like the elite four have gotten multiple costumes over the last few episodes. Some off which were wildly different to serve different purposes.
    On a very superficial level. They hardly represent an artstyle overhaul, nor a change in cinematography, character direction or narrative themes. They're also keeping with the sense of exaggeration that previous outfits have gone with, rather than either naturalistic portrayals, underplayed, minimalistic or anything else that would clash with the existing visual style.

Also, I fail to see how new outfits mean a significant change in any case. Especially in a show where clothes are the source of power and which follows the formula of a shounen action show with frequent fights and the hero getting stronger. It's absolutely what you'd expect.

And, Sigh, the plot is absolutely insignificant compared to directorial style, visual style, themes, pacing, character direction, use of music and sound effects and all those other aspects of craft that go into the show. If the themes stay the same, then changes in who is fighting who and where they're doing it is irrelevant unless it has something to say about the themes. And the plot changes so far have either been irrelevant window dressing or a direct continuation of what was set up at the start, to the point where they don't do anything other than reinforce the pre-existing themes.
    Last edited by Terraoblivion; 2014-02-09 at 07:36 PM.