New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE! A Community World-Building Tale of People & Discovery II

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    That said... How do we go about increasing our populations? My long term plans involve westward expansion into The Unknown, and I'm rather concerned about how much control I can exert over those lands without emptying half of Ashenia.
    Population increase happens every few rounds as part of events. I intend to do that next round, looking at food imports, satisfied import necessities, troubling circumstances and so on.

Most regions can be pretty easily controlled with just two military units, at least until you've done the Diplomacy 5 Special Action. Rebellion is still a possibility prior to the Special Action, and if it was a player's last region and they turn Rebel Lady/Lord, they are the only way in which a rebellion can pop up even after doing the Diplomacy 5 Special Action.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dragon View Post
    *snip*
    To throw you for a further loop, I never use blue text for what it is commonly used for here.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Population increase happens every few rounds as part of events. I intend to do that next round, looking at food imports, satisfied import necessities, troubling circumstances and so on.
    So will the number of units of food matter or just the types?

To throw you for a further loop, I never use blue text for what it is commonly used for here.
    Now you're just gonna confuse people.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Ahah! I made satisfying my import a priority.

See, I edited out my taking your joke seriously on purpose because by now I should've learned from experience in person that that is a bad idea. It's apparently very hard to tell if I'm joking or not.
    I go by they/them/their or he/him/his pronouns

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

Most regions can be pretty easily controlled with just two military units, at least until you've done the Diplomacy 5 Special Action. Rebellion is still a possibility prior to the Special Action, and if it was a player's last region and they turn Rebel Lady/Lord, they are the only way in which a rebellion can pop up even after doing the Diplomacy 5 Special Action.
    Good to know.

Except in this case, I'm not conquering but colonising. As far as I am aware, region twenty-eight is uninhabited, the settlers will be reliant on the homeland for support, and thus, there should be no need for a substantial military presence or a diplomacy special action.
    What I was more concerned with was the low population of the newly colonised region causing my claims to not be recognised and others deciding to colonise it simultaneously in secret or something. That, and such a large area with so few people will be bound to have all manner of economic difficulties. Basically, I'm expecting a degree of lawlessness and slow economic growth, both of which should be tempered by an increasing population, not full blown rebellion!
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Good to know.

Except in this case, I'm not conquering but colonising. As far as I am aware, region twenty-eight is uninhabited, the settlers will be reliant on the homeland for support, and thus, there should be no need for a substantial military presence or a diplomacy special action.
    What I was more concerned with was the low population of the newly colonised region causing my claims to not be recognised and others deciding to colonise it simultaneously in secret or something. That, and such a large area with so few people will be bound to have all manner of economic difficulties. Basically, I'm expecting a degree of lawlessness and slow economic growth, both of which should be tempered by an increasing population, not full blown rebellion!
    It's a little strange to expect nobody to live anywhere you can walk to though. I mean, we populated the whole earth by the end of the ice age pretty much. If nothing else I imagine Morph will throw an NPC nation in there.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, Elemental, the colony could become a colony of the Union as a whole, instead of just an Ashenian colony. That way, Blade, Percy and I could send settlers as well. Or anything else you can think of.
    Last edited by Lord_Burch; 2014-02-11 at 09:11 AM.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zabbarot View Post
    It's a little strange to expect nobody to live anywhere you can walk to though. I mean, we populated the whole earth by the end of the ice age pretty much. If nothing else I imagine Morph will throw an NPC nation in there.
    Morph hasn't yet, and my exploratory expedition reported no traces of civilisation.
    As to whether or not people have moved there, it's worth noting that this isn't the Earth. Numerous events impossible in the real world could have transpired to make the region inaccessible or uninhabitable until now. Who knows? I might even find some ruins. A city like Iram, once prosperous and mighty, long since abandoned and buried by the sands.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Burch View Post
    Well, Elemental, the colony could become a colony of the Union as a whole, instead of just an Ashenian colony. That way, Blade, Percy and I could send settlers as well. Or anything else you can think of.
    I'm open to allowing settlers from the rest of the Union, but I'm going to be selfish and keep the land for myself. I want to form a Great Kingdom at some point, and colonisation is the easiest way for me to do that.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)

Dragons!

8. - Top - End - #158

Morph hasn't yet, and my exploratory expedition reported no traces of civilisation.
    As to whether or not people have moved there, it's worth noting that this isn't the Earth. Numerous events impossible in the real world could have transpired to make the region inaccessible or uninhabitable until now. Who knows? I might even find some ruins. A city like Iram, once prosperous and mighty, long since abandoned and buried by the sands.

I'm open to allowing settlers from the rest of the Union, but I'm going to be selfish and keep the land for myself. I want to form a Great Kingdom at some point, and colonisation is the easiest way for me to do that.
    Sure, the land can be yours, but I'd send some colonists in exchange for some economic rights. Such as, one resource of my choice appears in the region, as long as it makes sense.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

Sure, the land can be yours, but I'd send some colonists in exchange for some economic rights. Such as, one resource of my choice appears in the region, as long as it makes sense.
    'Cept, I can't make new resources appear there without the expenditure of a curiosity five action as I'm not a new player.
    Though I do plan on developing resources in the region in a few monarch's time.

Dragons!

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

'Cept, I can't make new resources appear there without the expenditure of a curiosity five action as I'm not a new player.
    At least Curiosity 5 is fairly simple to get to.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground

Now it's going to be a race to see who conquors their first region!

In one corner, we've got the DoomKhan attacking Aloren. In another we've got Kasumor attempting to settle a Goblin filled Zargrim. In yet another we've got Elemental trying to settle region 28. And in the final, we've got The Sympolemou trying to expand SOMEWHERE.

Who will win?

---

Still working on the second post....

What kinds of things would you folks be interested in having listed for the regions?
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    What kinds of things would you folks be interested in having listed for the regions?
    I don't think there's much to add yet. Maybe marriages, but it doesn't sound especially useful and is covered under family tree anyway.

Though if anyone has time and wants to, I noticed Morph was doing a history of Telluris post in the last thread. It would be quite some work though.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't think there's much to add yet. Maybe marriages, but it doesn't sound especially useful and is covered under family tree anyway.

Though if anyone has time and wants to, I noticed Morph was doing a history of Telluris post in the last thread. It would be quite some work though.
    It would be... but it'd be epic to read.
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

14. - Top - End - #164

Sure you can, you get two extra resources when you fully colonize a region, as per the colonization rules.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

Is there an established ratio of infantry vs. archers vs. cavalry etc.? I know the basic military unit is 1000 infantry, and I know other units (elephant cavalry, dragon riders, etc.) are expressed in relation to this, but I haven't seen anything specific. I'd like to create some cavalry next turn, but I wasn't sure how many I should expect to create.
    Avatar by the wonderful and talented Ceika!
    Playing:

Past Faves: The Blackwood | Raaneka | Cachimba

My DeviantArt.

16. - Top - End - #166

Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Is there an established ratio of infantry vs. archers vs. cavalry etc.? I know the basic military unit is 1000 infantry, and I know other units (elephant cavalry, dragon riders, etc.) are expressed in relation to this, but I haven't seen anything specific. I'd like to create some cavalry next turn, but I wasn't sure how many I should expect to create.
    I think there's been a discussion on this. There is no difference between calvary, archers, and infantry; they simply are one ground unit.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

Despite being a Co-GM, I still am uncertain about all the changes and rulings on Military, tbh. That's Waylander's territory. If I knew, I'd make a military section of the FAQ and fill it with the lot of questions asked so far. I'm suyre Morph could tell you too.

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

We've just sort of generalized that 1000 people are a unit, so I guess you can decide for yourself how many actually get horses.

Maybe a better way to think of it is 1000 people support each unit. For infantry, they're all take care of themselves and what not. Knights might have squires and stablemen though, so maybe only 500 actual knights.

It's really just your own judgement call so far though.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

I remember it being discussed as well. I am fairly sure the answer was that it was very cool fluff, but it wasn't going to work out as planned mechanically.

So you can say hey, I raise 1 land unit. It has 200 cavalry, 400 heavy infantry and 200 archers. The 1 land unit is important to the mechanics and the rest is just for cool factor.

EDIT - Also what Zabbarot said. You ninja, you. /Jion tosses a shuriken gently at Zabbarot. I like to think of 1 unit as 1 000 man power. Like engine horse power. (Though honestly, my wording of that is awkward.)
    Last edited by Rain Dragon; 2014-02-11 at 11:07 AM.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zabbarot View Post
    So will the number of units of food matter or just the types?
    Yes*.

Good to know.

Colonizing differs only from conquest in that you do not necessarily cease control over a region through organized large-scale killing.

All regions have a small number of people, though not necessarily on the level of player-made regions.

The history still needs to be updated for the last two rounds, too. I will only be including big stuff in there though, like wars, alliances being made, and most Special Actions (the 10s and F5s, C5 only in case of special resources, perhaps). It's probably going to be a little subjective, from the point of view of some historian or such.

All units are 1000 people strong. They can be infantry, cavalry, archers, whatever you choose to fluff them as, but the one thing that is set in stone is that all units are 1000 people strong. How you fluff that is all up to you, as some have stated above.

Despite being a Co-GM, I still am uncertain about all the changes and rulings on Military, tbh. That's Waylander's territory. If I knew, I'd make a military section of the FAQ and fill it with the lot of questions asked so far. I'm suyre Morph could tell you too.
    The FAQ is pretty outdated in some places since the major rules update from last week. Shall we go over some points tonight and correct where needed?

Also, tips and advice for new players shall be upcoming as well.

*There is only one instance in which "yes" or "no" is a valid answer to an "or" question. In this case, it's both. Quantity is most important to have Population growth at all. Variety may net a small bonus.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2014-02-11 at 11:15 AM.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

The FAQ is pretty outdated in some places since the major rules update from last week. Shall we go over some points tonight and correct where needed?

Also, tips and advice for new players shall be upcoming as well.
    Remember that time (just before the new rules were posted) where I asked if we could go over the FAQ to update it to the new rules and you looked it over and said it looked fine still, so I didn't change anything?
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2014-02-11 at 11:18 AM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

Remember that time (just before the new rules were posted) where I asked if we could go over the FAQ to update it to the new rules and you looked it over and said it looked fine still, so I didn't change anything?
    I honestly hope I have a condition that may legally exempt me from guilt in some legal cases, because my memory can be like a sieve. (Good thing that in educational and professional cases I always keep a notebook on hand to write stuff down.)

I probably only skimmed it back then, my apologies. That's a bit of a problem with skimming: you pick up some things while completely missing others. Like, two-thirds of the FAQ is still fine from what I've seen, but I've noticed two or three questions that really need changing in there.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground

I honestly hope I have a condition that may legally exempt me from guilt in some legal cases, because my memory can be like a sieve. (Good thing that in educational and professional cases I always keep a notebook on hand to write stuff down.)

I probably only skimmed it back then, my apologies. That's a bit of a problem with skimming: you pick up some things while completely missing others. Like, two-thirds of the FAQ is still fine from what I've seen, but I've noticed two or three questions that really need changing in there.
    Alright. Well I can do a bit when I get home today, or you can PM me a list and I can change them.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

Sure you can, you get two extra resources when you fully colonize a region, as per the colonization rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    The first player to fully colonize this region may describe two extra terrain features, for a total of three. If the region is claimed by a new player before it is colonized, the new player may also add two more resources of Good quality.
    Emphasis added by me.
    Unless there are other rules for colonisation that directly contradict this or I am reading it wrong, I can't add more resources by colonising. I just get to describe two terrain features.

Colonizing differs only from conquest in that you do not necessarily cease control over a region through organized large-scale killing.

All regions have a small number of people, though not necessarily on the level of player-made regions.
    Shouldn't that be seize control, not cease control? If so, then I now understand what's going on here.
    I'll take the local tribespeople/whatever-social-system-they-employ into account. All shall bow before the might of Ashenia! I mean... All shall be ruthlessly absorbed into my growing empire! Oh, I give up. It's pointless trying to hide it. Great Kingdom, here I come!
    In any case, when I finish fully colonising the place, do you want me to describe the locals and their society, or do would you prefer to do that?

Dragons!

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

My army swells! *Maniacal claw tapping and chittering*
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

That's at least ten thousand men you have there. It's times like these I'm glad I'm all the way over in the West.
    Note to self... Raise more troops.

Dragons!

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Alright. Well I can do a bit when I get home today, or you can PM me a list and I can change them.
    Check, mate.

Emphasis added by me.
    Unless there are other rules for colonisation that directly contradict this or I am reading it wrong, I can't add more resources by colonising. I just get to describe two terrain features.
    You are correct.

Shouldn't that be seize control, not cease control? If so, then I now understand what's going on here.
    I'll take the local tribespeople/whatever-social-system-they-employ into account. All shall bow before the might of Ashenia! I mean... All shall be ruthlessly absorbed into my growing empire! Oh, I give up. It's pointless trying to hide it. Great Kingdom, here I come!
    In any case, when I finish fully colonising the place, do you want me to describe the locals and their society, or do would you prefer to do that?
    Should be seize, yes. I usually pride myself in spelling homophonic words correctly, but faltered in this case.

By all means, feel free to describe them yourself! I try to be as little involved in description as possible, doing so only in limited amount for NPC countries and regions without a ruler (such as region 28). And, of course, the Blazing Avatar.

...I kinda want to throw him into something again.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

That's at least ten thousand men you have there. It's times like these I'm glad I'm all the way over in the West.
    Note to self... Raise more troops.
    12,000 soldiers, to be accurate. Wouldn't be much of a Warrior Culture without, well, warriors.
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    My army swells! *Maniacal claw tapping and chittering*
    We should get together on a big project or something. Care to skype?
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

And, of course, the Blazing Avatar.

...I kinda want to throw him into something again.
    Mosi would like to chat with him, I think.