New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Pirates of the Sword Coast OOC (WIP)

We certainly need the non-stealth group, both for rescuing our crewmen but also for the non-stealth members of the party. Perhaps the stealth group could get to the horses and cause enough of a distraction for the non-stealth group to get to the docks?

Also, how well known is the party, and how well do all the guards/residents know oneanother? Could one of the bards make it to the tavern to fascinate the people there, and would it be worth trying? or is that not a concern? Another option is to just send the stealth group around to somehow block a bunch of doors and windows...

Devlin is certainly non-stealth, but has silent image and alter self that could be put to use...
    All stories are true, but this one really happened ... more or less.
    You have to be a bit of a liar to tell a story the right way.
    ~ NotW

Hoard of the Dragon Queen - Devlin, Gnome Bard

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

IF they are not full of birds, the palms on the westernmost part of the fort could work as a good concealment... maybe a part of the people (the most) could wait here, while a little strike force reach the docks, incapacitate the guards, take the rowboats (flooding the other ones) and come back to take away the others. Than we can go to the ship and begin with the *ehm*kicking

Quote Originally Posted by EltaninDraco View Post
    Also, how well known is the party, and how well do all the guards/residents know oneanother? Could one of the bards make it to the tavern to fascinate the people there, and would it be worth trying? or is that not a concern? Another option is to just send the stealth group around to somehow block a bunch of doors and windows...

Devlin is certainly non-stealth, but has silent image and alter self that could be put to use...
    Maybe he could fascinate the guards on the docks, so the stealing would be easier?

Or act as sergent Valmore to fool the guards? As long as he helped us I don't think we REALLY have to worry for his safety

Besides, Nine of Spades character needs to do the pirate-batman!
    Last edited by CozJa; 2014-02-16 at 03:14 AM.
    Does this poster have a sign?

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

I think we need two plans, one if we can get all the way to the docks undetected, and one in case we can't.
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

So the characters are starting at the armory, yes? Seems like it shouldn't be too hard to sneak from there into the trees then down the coast to the docks (or just into the water... 200 yards isn't a hard swim). So the real tricky part is how to get the rest of the crew out of the stockade. I still feel like they are going to need a miracle to pass any stealth checks, so a distraction is going to be essential. How would an illusion of everyone escaping to the east beyond the wall work? Where the archers see it, and rally the troops to hunt "them" down?
    ~ NotW

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

So the characters are starting at the armory, yes? Seems like it shouldn't be too hard to sneak from there into the trees then down the coast to the docks (or just into the water... 200 yards isn't a hard swim). So the real tricky part is how to get the rest of the crew out of the stockade. I still feel like they are going to need a miracle to pass any stealth checks, so a distraction is going to be essential. How would an illusion of everyone escaping to the east beyond the wall work? Where the archers see it, and rally the troops to hunt "them" down?
    The characters will be starting in the stockade, but you will have already been able to strike off everyone's chains and have spells studied/prayed for. However, I assume that (since all of your gear is in the Armory), it will be the first place (or one of the first places) the party goes. There are 5 known guards around the stockade, 10 at the armory, wandering patrols, and the archers on the wall (though their attention is normally outward, toward the jungle).

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Some really solid ideas all around. Having a plan for what happens if we get spotted is good.

So, that in mind, here is my thought.

If we make our move under cover of darkness, we should be fairly well set. Human night vision is pretty terrible, and looking at the buildings, they are pretty spread out, so I think that there would be fairly large gaps between sections covered by torchlight. Furthermore, considering its a military camp, the sounds of people walking around is to be expected. As such, we don't need to worry to much about move silently checks, at least not right away. I think we can reasonably ensure that the crew can make it from the stockades to the tree line without being detected, so long as we can keep watch for roving patrols, which again, shouldn't be hard as the guards would need to be carrying some kind of light.

From the tree line along the shore, we should then split up. I know, usually a bad idea. But here me out. Nothing we accomplish matters if we can't make an escape, so one team should be focused on securing the docks and getting rowboats ready to move for the ship. We don't need to disable the other boats, just steal the oars and they are next to useless, and will buy us a large window of time if we get caught. Using the aforementioned invisibility sphere, the crew should have no trouble getting the jump on any guards stationed at the dock.

While this is going on, the stealth team should be working on getting to the armory and grabbing the supplies we need. The armory is right next to the tree line, and it shouldn't be hard to bring the gear from there to the coast. From there, we can head down to meet up with the dock team.

In the event things go wrong, here are my thoughts on counter measures.

I feel Haelder should be with the Dock team, since he's needed for the invisibility spheres. If it looks like you guys are in trouble, he can make an illusion of the crew rowing a boat towards the south to throw of pursuit, while the group actually heads north along the coast to meet up with us. Stay far enough out so that you don't get seen by any watch along the wall.

If stealth team gets caught before they secure the supplies in the armory, then they can fall back to meet up with the dock team and then the whole crew will have to make a push for the ship. Once we have the ship we can make new plans to secure our gear (Remember, Nothing else matters if we can't make an escape)

If the stealth team gets into trouble after securing supplies, then we retreat into the trees along the shore. Atamar'drii will use major image to have an illusion of us climbing the wall to escape, while in reality we head towards the docks to meet up with the crew there.

If everything goes to hell and all else fails, then just get out and try to stay together. We'll set up a meeting location and time in case we get separated.

If all goes well, and the two groups meet up, we row out to the ship and take control of her. With our gear and only a skeleton crew at best, we should have no trouble seizing the ship. And if the dock team succeeded in stopping pursuit from the docks, then there's no chance of any ship catching up before we had a decent head start.

Now mind, this is just an outline of a plan. You all know your characters inside and out, far better than I do. So if you have any talents our ideas for what your character can do, specifically, to improve our situation, then please add it.

For example, I'm guessing moldbeard could wild shape into an owl and use night vision to scout out the situation for us from the air. Or he could probably whip up some useful spells to help us make use of the trees. Another example, Devlin has alter self and good social skills. He could disguise as a guard and stand watch at the dock, and intercept any guards that come along, using those social skills to send them away while the rest of the crew works.

I want peoples imput on this. How do they think the plan sounds? And what can your character bring to the plan that I haven't considered?
    High Reverend of the Church of the Icosahedron

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

I like the plan, but I can't decide if Kirnan should go with the dock group because he's the best in a straight fight, or with the armory group since he's still a fighter and depends on gear. Also, you might not have know this, but Kirnan has the Never Outnumbered skill trick, so he can intimidate (and cower) every enemy in a 10ft radius as a swift action.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NineOfSpades View Post
    Some really solid ideas all around. Having a plan for what happens if we get spotted is good.

If we make our move under cover of darkness, we should be fairly well set. Human night vision is pretty terrible, and looking at the buildings, they are pretty spread out, so I think that there would be fairly large gaps between sections covered by torchlight. Furthermore, considering its a military camp, the sounds of people walking around is to be expected. As such, we don't need to worry to much about move silently checks, at least not right away. I think we can reasonably ensure that the crew can make it from the stockades to the tree line without being detected, so long as we can keep watch for roving patrols, which again, shouldn't be hard as the guards would need to be carrying some kind of light.

From the tree line along the shore, we should then split up. I know, usually a bad idea. But here me out. Nothing we accomplish matters if we can't make an escape, so one team should be focused on securing the docks and getting rowboats ready to move for the ship. We don't need to disable the other boats, just steal the oars and they are next to useless, and will buy us a large window of time if we get caught. Using the aforementioned invisibility sphere, the crew should have no trouble getting the jump on any guards stationed at the dock.

While this is going on, the stealth team should be working on getting to the armory and grabbing the supplies we need. The armory is right next to the tree line, and it shouldn't be hard to bring the gear from there to the coast. From there, we can head down to meet up with the dock team.
    I'm totally ok with it... Maybe preparing two or three invisibility spheres is the best chioice, because I don't think that one is enough for all the crew.

Only question: is it more noisy stealing the oars or disabling the boats?

I feel Haelder should be with the Dock team, since he's needed for the invisibility spheres. If it looks like you guys are in trouble, he can make an illusion of the crew rowing a boat towards the south to throw of pursuit, while the group actually heads north along the coast to meet up with us. Stay far enough out so that you don't get seen by any watch along the wall.

If stealth team gets caught before they secure the supplies in the armory, then they can fall back to meet up with the dock team and then the whole crew will have to make a push for the ship. Once we have the ship we can make new plans to secure our gear (Remember, Nothing else matters if we can't make an escape)

If the stealth team gets into trouble after securing supplies, then we retreat into the trees along the shore. Atamar'drii will use major image to have an illusion of us climbing the wall to escape, while in reality we head towards the docks to meet up with the crew there.

If everything goes to hell and all else fails, then just get out and try to stay together. We'll set up a meeting location and time in case we get separated.

If all goes well, and the two groups meet up, we row out to the ship and take control of her. With our gear and only a skeleton crew at best, we should have no trouble seizing the ship. And if the dock team succeeded in stopping pursuit from the docks, then there's no chance of any ship catching up before we had a decent head start.

Now mind, this is just an outline of a plan. You all know your characters inside and out, far better than I do. So if you have any talents our ideas for what your character can do, specifically, to improve our situation, then please add it.
    I think that Haeldar will prepare a siren's call: If we get caught by the guards sending five of them to play surfers could be of help.

And a Phantom steed: if one of us is left behind he can catch up riding on water.

Speaking of wich, I rememberd that Haeldar and Devlin both have a Cloak of Manta Ray, so they can risk staying behind a little more, if the need arise, and catch up with the boats later.

For example, I'm guessing moldbeard could wild shape into an owl and use night vision to scout out the situation for us from the air. Or he could probably whip up some useful spells to help us make use of the trees. Another example, Devlin has alter self and good social skills. He could disguise as a guard and stand watch at the dock, and intercept any guards that come along, using those social skills to send them away while the rest of the crew works.
    But... I'm not sure, is Moldbeard still in our group??

I want peoples imput on this. How do they think the plan sounds? And what can your character bring to the plan that I haven't considered?
    The plan seems pretty good to me!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Kirnan will take the steed, he can keep the guards off the docks while the rowboats get a head start. And I think stealing oars would be the best way to disable pursuit.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg View Post
    Kirnan will take the steed, he can keep the guards off the docks while the rowboats get a head start.
    Yeah, that's what i was thinking!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Wow that is a fantastic idea haha I'm done with it.
    [roll] 4d6b3 [/roll]

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

No, Moldbeard has jumped ship and gone to the Privateers, lol.

You're correct, there is enough torchlight to keep the main buildings illuminated, but there are plenty of shadows between buildings, and virtually no light behind the buildings.

Don't forget that Sergeant Valmore plans to be IN the armory to help you overcome his squad (what a bastard).

Your first item of business is to overcome the 5 guards immediately outside the stockade, to prevent them from raising a hue and cry.

Make sure you clearly define who is with what group (as in dock, or armory, if those two end up being in the final plan). Let me know what the plan is for the deckhands.

You DO KNOW that there are several arcane and divine casters at the Fort, though you aren't certain how powerful they are. You know that there is at least one wizard who acts as the Camp Commander's 2nd in command, and that there are a number of cleric's, several of which can cast Cure Disease. (you have heard the guards talking about the different fevers and ailments that the jungle clime brings). However, you don't know where they are housed, or how they are dispersed.

The barracks immediately next to the stockade holds a large number of rapid-response troops. These are known to be more elite than the run of the mill mercenary guard here. They are trained to be formed up and ready to fight in LESS THAN 10 rounds.

Sergeant Valmore would have provided the spellbook(s) after the evening meal the night before the breakout is to take place. Unless you delay, it will still be dark for several hours after the casters have prepared their spells.

Let me know if you guys need a bit more time to prepare. I was planning to launch the IC thread tonight, but I can hold off if you have more preparation to do.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about the compound, the guards, etc.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

BTW, please note:

Just a note for when we go IC.. Since I'm not used to some of the abilities, variants and class skills that some of you are using, make sure you are specific about how you're achieving your actions. What I mean is.. If you're using this class variant with that feat and this other magic item special ability, make sure I know all that (put it in a spoiler or in the OOC thread) so that I can apply all of the proper modifiers and such. I don't want to rule on something based on limited knowledge and then have you tell me that you have a +12 modifier due to XYX, and should have succeeded. I'll get my head wrapped around all of your abilities quickly, just cut me some slack and spell it out for me until we get comfortable. I'll never try to screw anyone, but if I don't know all of the modifiers and considerations for, say, Kirnan's intimidate, I won't be able to apply it correctly.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Note taken. And I'm down with NineOfSpades plan but seems we will have to make modifications if the guard captain is going to help us in the armory. or wont we?
    [roll] 4d6b3 [/roll]

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

I like the plan, but I can't decide if Kirnan should go with the dock group because he's the best in a straight fight, or with the armory group since he's still a fighter and depends on gear. Also, you might not have know this, but Kirnan has the Never Outnumbered skill trick, so he can intimidate (and cower) every enemy in a 10ft radius as a swift action.
    I was expecting Kirnan to be in the dock team. While he may not have his normal weapons, we'll be disabling the guards at the stockade. Take their weapons. Even so, I wasn't expecting to make use of weapons anyway. For eliminating the guards, I figured we'd use grapple. 11 Crew members, plus about half of the players, should be more than enough to double or even triple up to grapple the guards. Have one person put a hand over the each guards mouth to keep them from shouting. Its silent, and then you can simply choke them out till they loose consciousness. Stabbing MIGHT be able to kill them instantly, but it Might not, and its a free action for a guard to shout an alarm.

I'm totally ok with it... Maybe preparing two or three invisibility spheres is the best chioice, because I don't think that one is enough for all the crew.

Only question: is it more noisy stealing the oars or disabling the boats?
    Hiding the oars just means tossing them somewhere, or heck, putting them in the rafts we plan on escaping with. Disabling the other rafts require damaging them. Think about how loud it is to hammer a nail. Thats the noise level involved in damaging the rafts to the point where they can't be used.

We have 18 characters (7 PCs and 11 NPCs). Invisibility sphere covers a 10ft radius centered on the caster. I believe you can share a space with a friendly character, but you are still probably right to prepare more than one.

I think that Haeldar will prepare a siren's call: If we get caught by the guards sending five of them to play surfers could be of help.

And a Phantom steed: if one of us is left behind he can catch up riding on water.

Speaking of wich, I rememberd that Haeldar and Devlin both have a Cloak of Manta Ray, so they can risk staying behind a little more, if the need arise, and catch up with the boats later.
    Excellent ideas to all points.

But... I'm not sure, is Moldbeard still in our group??
    No, Moldbeard has jumped ship and gone to the Privateers, lol.
    Having a list of PCs in the opening post (With character sheet links) Would eliminate these sorts of problems. There are many players, and especially in the recruitment thread, it was a nightmare for me to even try to keep track of which player had which character on which crew.

Kirnan will take the steed, he can keep the guards off the docks while the rowboats get a head start. And I think stealing oars would be the best way to disable pursuit.
    Ideally, we should be on the ship and setting sail before anyone even realizes something is wrong, so we hopefully won't need anyone to hold the line and buy time.

Don't forget that Sergeant Valmore plans to be IN the armory to help you overcome his squad (what a bastard).
    He's not included in my plan largely because I have no idea what his potential abilities might include. I'd rather build a plan that I'm confident can do well with just our crew, and any additional aid then becomes icing on the cake.

Your first item of business is to overcome the 5 guards immediately outside the stockade, to prevent them from raising a hue and cry.
    11 crew members, 7 players. 3 people per guard, plus we will have ambush. Figure grappling (You can have up to 4 creatures of the same size grapple 1 target), I don't expect these guys to be to much an issue. Might need a silent image or something to replace the incapacitated guards, in case any patrols go strolling by though.

You DO KNOW that there are several arcane and divine casters at the Fort, though you aren't certain how powerful they are. You know that there is at least one wizard who acts as the Camp Commander's 2nd in command, and that there are a number of cleric's, several of which can cast Cure Disease. (you have heard the guards talking about the different fevers and ailments that the jungle clime brings). However, you don't know where they are housed, or how they are dispersed.
    Well, if its the middle of the night, then they won't have had time to prepare new spells for the day, so that helps. Would we be able to know (Either by observation or from Sergeant Valmore) approximately how many spells they use up in a given day? Also, If we have someone with Detect magic, that should allow us to locate the spellcasters if they are anywhere close. And if the mages don't have any magical effects currently on them it means either

1. They have no magical gear and are probably low enough level that we can incapacitate them quickly if need be.

2.They have no currently active defensive spells, which would suggest they are either asleep or otherwise unprepared to fight us.

Side note: If we can, steal the arcane casters spell book.

Side note 2: On second thought, steal anything of use if the opportunity rises, so long as it doesn't detract from the escape effort.

The barracks immediately next to the stockade holds a large number of rapid-response troops. These are known to be more elite than the run of the mill mercenary guard here. They are trained to be formed up and ready to fight in LESS THAN 10 rounds.
    The barracks are (Based on the map) ~60-90ft from the stockade. Plus they would have to hear through (I'm guessing) stone walls, and The people in the barracks should by all rights be asleep. I don't expect them to be able to notice us, though it would probably be worth it to have one person on lookout till we get further from the barracks.

I sort of pictured sending the crew out to the tree line in a few small groups, while the rest keep watch on patrols of passing guards, so this just gives us one more place to keep an eye on.

Note taken. And I'm down with NineOfSpades plan but seems we will have to make modifications if the guard captain is going to help us in the armory. or wont we?
    Actually, he might be of great use for the armory. Have him just stroll up to the front door and say something like the strap on his scabbard broke and he needs a replacement. Once inside, he can either let us in, or we use the distraction to ambush the guards (Depending on the number and location of guards at the armory).

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Guardsman Sergeant Valmore will be in charge of the 10 man detachment guarding the armory/vault on the night of your breakout. He will already be locked INSIDE it. He tells you that there are four men posted at the front door, and six (including himself) inside.

There is a stout door with bar and lock leading from the outside (where the sentries are), into an office area with large tables where there are two more guards. (This is where people fill out/turn in the requisitions to add/remove gear from the armory). There is another stout door, (locked and barred from the inside) leading to the armory (where all surplus weapons and armor are held). There are two men in the armory at all times. Finally, there is an Iron door, with a two-key lock (one inside, one outside). This is the door to the Vault. (as well as holding your personal possessions until you can stand trial, this vault also holds the treasury for the Fort and any items deemed important enough to store here.)

This building is made of reinforced masonry about 12 inches thick, and is fairly sound proof. (No windows). There are cords leading to an alarm bell (cords run through penetrations in the wall), but Valmore assures you that he will have that bell out of commission.

You will have to overcome the 4 outside guards and the pairs in the first two chambers. He will take care of the 9th, and will open the door to the vault when you give the secret knock. He has had an extra set of keys commissioned, which you are to discard IN PLAIN SIGHT on the path outside the armory. (He will still have his keys, and an extra set will be found, vindicating him).

He also lets you know that he would be happy to act in your interests in the future, and claims that he often sees the manifests of those ships coming and going, and could give notice if anything valuable is going to come out of the jungle. He gives you a point of contact in Calimport that communicates with Valmore magically. Treezy Dobbs, of Treezy's Fine Secondhand Wares, in the Port District.

(Valmore can't stress enough how badly he wants to come through this ALIVE He will take gems, magic items or other small and easily hidden valuables, as long as they value 5k+).

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Hiding the oars just means tossing them somewhere, or heck, putting them in the rafts we plan on escaping with. Disabling the other rafts require damaging them. Think about how loud it is to hammer a nail. Thats the noise level involved in damaging the rafts to the point where they can't be used.
    Yeah, you're right

We have 18 characters (7 PCs and 11 NPCs). Invisibility sphere covers a 10ft radius centered on the caster. I believe you can share a space with a friendly character, but you are still probably right to prepare more than one.
    Actually Invisibility sphere has a 10 ft radius centered on the recipient of the spell. i was thinking to cast a greater invisibility on myself, to have the freedom of move around and cast wathever is needed. I'll go with two spheres then.

11 crew members, 7 players. 3 people per guard, plus we will have ambush. Figure grappling (You can have up to 4 creatures of the same size grapple 1 target), I don't expect these guys to be to much an issue. Might need a silent image or something to replace the incapacitated guards, in case any patrols go strolling by though.
    Haledar or one of the bards could cast a sleep spell and than everyone could take care of the ones who stay awake

Well, if its the middle of the night, then they won't have had time to prepare new spells for the day, so that helps. Would we be able to know (Either by observation or from Sergeant Valmore) approximately how many spells they use up in a given day? Also, If we have someone with Detect magic, that should allow us to locate the spellcasters if they are anywhere close. And if the mages don't have any magical effects currently on them it means either

1. They have no magical gear and are probably low enough level that we can incapacitate them quickly if need be.

2.They have no currently active defensive spells, which would suggest they are either asleep or otherwise unprepared to fight us.

Side note: If we can, steal the arcane casters spell book.

Side note 2: On second thought, steal anything of use if the opportunity rises, so long as it doesn't detract from the escape effort.

I like it! Don't know why but I really Like it

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CozJa View Post
    I don't think the characters have these cloaks with them, so these will be of use to the stealth group trying to escape.

On that note - additional gear - Devlin had lots of stuff that wouldn't necessarily have been on his person at the time his ship was attacked. I can come up with "feasible" ways it survived - floating wooden chest, or he went back and crammed things into his bag of holding and was clutching it - but are we counting that as gear to be rescued? or something we would acquire nebulously after this escape? (perhaps find the gear on the ship we commandeer?) Either way, there may be at least one bag of holding to aid in the grabbing things and gtfo-ing.

As for the rest of the escape plan - it sounds good to me with one caveat - spell materials. Is it safe to assume we got those back with the books? Or are we limited to spells that don't require them? If we've got our supplies, Devlin can cast silent image to have mock guards around the non-stealth group, and if he could have chatted with Valmore before hand he should be able to impersonate the man, or impersonate someone else Valmore suggests, well enough to use alter self and not arouse suspicion. He's also got dimension door so can get himself and one other out quick.
    ~ NotW

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

I don't think the characters have these cloaks with them, so these will be of use to the stealth group trying to escape.

Very true, this equipment is in the Armory/Vault, and if the character the gear belongs to isn't in the team that goes to the armory, it is unlikely that the others will know what it is unless informed beforehand. Also, as much fun as it might be to try to snatch up someone else's gear in the confusion, lets just get the campaign started without any larceny among PC's. After the game gets going, all bets are off, but lets avoid that little complication for the breakout.

On that note - additional gear - Devlin had lots of stuff that wouldn't necessarily have been on his person at the time his ship was attacked. I can come up with "feasible" ways it survived - floating wooden chest, or he went back and crammed things into his bag of holding and was clutching it - but are we counting that as gear to be rescued? or something we would acquire nebulously after this escape? (perhaps find the gear on the ship we commandeer?) Either way, there may be at least one bag of holding to aid in the grabbing things and gtfo-ing.

The way I'm working around this is that the dragon that waylaid the ships was not out for plunder, but was there to eliminate a pirate threat. (it was a good dragon, btw). Once all three ships were incapacitated (Sails, masts and rudders smashed beyond repair) and all of their crews decimated (less than 10% of the fleet's crew survived), the dragon flew off, mission accomplished. The few survivors were able to climb back aboard their crippled ships, where they were then met by the naval patrol vessel which captured them, took their stuff, and dropped them off at Fort Baluarian. This way, all of your things will be locked up in the Armory/Vault while you await trial. BTW, the interesting thing will be getting it FROM The armory TO the ship. You will have to figure out a way to do that still.

As for the rest of the escape plan - it sounds good to me with one caveat - spell materials. Is it safe to assume we got those back with the books? Or are we limited to spells that don't require them? If we've got our supplies, Devlin can cast silent image to have mock guards around the non-stealth group, and if he could have chatted with Valmore before hand he should be able to impersonate the man, or impersonate someone else Valmore suggests, well enough to use alter self and not arouse suspicion. He's also got dimension door so can get himself and one other out quick.
    For the purposes of the escape, casters will have the opportunity to be "fully charged" for the breakout attempt, so all relevant spell components can be considered to be "on hand". After the escape, casters will be responsible for acquiring rare/expensive/exotic material components on their own.
    Last edited by pife; 2014-02-17 at 03:31 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pife View Post
    BTW, the interesting thing will be getting it FROM The armory TO the ship. You will have to figure out a way to do that still.
    If all Devlin's stuff is put inside his bag of holding, there is still ~22 cubic feet (and ~200lbs) left for other people's stuff. Just don't break it!
    ~ NotW

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

If all Devlin's stuff is put inside his bag of holding, there is still ~22 cubic feet (and ~200lbs) left for other people's stuff. Just don't break it!
    And make sure nobody throws a bag of holding into a bag of holding.. Makes things go boom.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pife View Post
    And make sure nobody throws a bag of holding into a bag of holding.. Makes things go boom.
    Ok, then don't throw his handy haversack into the bag of holding... Hey, more free space!
    ~24 cubic feet (and ~200lbs) in the bag of holding, and ~8 cubic feet (and 80 lbs) in the haversack.
    ~ NotW

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

I'm starting to change my mind on splitting up, it's sounding like it might take time to get gear together and the more hands we have the faster it goes. I think it would be best to stick the stockade guards in the cells then go for the armory as a group.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

I'm starting to change my mind on splitting up, it's sounding like it might take time to get gear together and the more hands we have the faster it goes. I think it would be best to stick the stockade guards in the cells then go for the armory as a group.
    I'm inclined to agree. Based on this new information, I suspect a combined assult on the armory is a better option. I would suggest a best route would be to circle round and take out any guards on the exterior wall first, then come at the armory from the back side.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Jojimbali has Silence as a 2nd-level spell, so he can use that to help keep the guards quiet, though their Will Save DC is a 17, so they might be able to make noise regardless.

Edit: I could cast the spell on a rock or something we can carry with us if we want to be silent as well.
    Last edited by Recalcitrent; 2014-02-17 at 10:32 PM.

Spoiler: Torinn Yarjerit
    Show

My 5e Dragonborn Barbarian. All credit for this drawing goes to Meltheim!

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Recalcitrent View Post
    Jojimbali has Silence as a 2nd-level spell, so he can use that to help keep the guards quiet, though their Will Save DC is a 17, so they might be able to make noise regardless.

Edit: I could cast the spell on a rock or something we can carry with us if we want to be silent as well.
    Its not a bad idea, but I worry that it'll inhibit our ability to communicate more than it'll help with sneaking.

27. - Top - End - #57

BlackDragon

Its not a bad idea, but I worry that it'll inhibit our ability to communicate more than it'll help with sneaking.
    No problem, just informing you of my capabilities.

Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

After we're free Kirnan will start teaching the group Drow sign language.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

After we're free Kirnan will start teaching the group Drow sign language.
    And we will all be spending time on some Teamwork Training

30. - Top - End - #60

BlackDragon

I approve of these ideas.

Show