New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice 25: Now with extra Valentine

Quote Originally Posted by Subproject54 View Post
    Or continue to waste time, life, and energy dealing with her passive(?) aggressive bull****, insults, and total lack of empathy; thereby proving that you are, in fact, willing to continue to be a door mat.
    (emphasize mine)

I think sometimes I have no idea what people consider to be passive aggressive... even if you used a question mark.

Okay, I'm nowhere near a relationship expert but I'll have to agree: Stop this. I don't know for sure how to respond but I guess long answer or short answer won't matter much.

Definitely tell her it's over, likely tell her she should see a therapist because from this and what you told before she likely needs help or she's possibly a danger to herself and those around her. In all fairness, I can't say for sure whether or not you are possibly trying to avoid some kind of responsibility by looking after your dad even if he needs it but you definitely don't need a person like her in your life
    If you feel chatty you might rant in your reply about all the things she has done wrong in your relationship because I think it's always more decent to make your point clear and some people are a bit dense (or a bit more) when it comes to their own shortcomings.

But still, break it up and avoid any contact with her. I guess a restraining order or something like that might be necessary but I hope can be avoided.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

What they said. Reply to break it off and then never speak to her again. It's for the best. It doesn't matter what's happened or what's been said; she has no business sending you a message like that or making those demands of you.

The extent of your reply is largely a matter of personal preference. A simple "Nope, I'm done. Have a nice life" is all it really merits. A part of me would be tempted to quote every sentence individually and reply "no" every time, but that's the part of me that's unworthy and argumentative, rather than a constructive one.

I would be inclined to keep the reply short, though. You want to be shutting the dialogue down, not presenting points of your own for her to respond to (because no matter what you decide now, you'll read her reply, and one day you won't be able to stop yourself from replying, etc.)
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

@Jon Dahl: Just think, if you had made a decisive break when you first started posting here about this abusive relationship, the whining and pleading and threatening would have been over by now. So change your phone, assign every e-mail you get from her, her friends or her family to the spam folder without reading them and get ready for your new, harpy-free life.

My suggested reply is: "No, I cannot do this anymore." Whatever you do, though, I would urge you not to go to Brazil. I would be very afraid for your safety if you did.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Taffimai View Post
    My suggested reply is: "No, I cannot do this anymore." Whatever you do, though, I would urge you not to go to Brazil. I would be very afraid for your safety if you did.
    This, a thousand times. Don't accommodate her any further, even to the point of continuing conversation beyond the bare minimum; absolutely don't acquiesce to any of her demands.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, not to totally go back on my earlier statement but since one of my believes is that people can deserve a second chance I'd at least recommend to think about ignoring any contact. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying to give in, or give her a second chance the moment she slightly improves but if she genuinely thinks about what she did wrong and changes she should at least be allowed to apologize. (Anything else is up to you and your judgment...)
    Obviously, if that's not happening and she continues to be a *censored* feel free to ignore her as much as you like.
    "What's done is done."

6. - Top - End - #66
    Firbolg in the Playground

My advice: If at any point in time you cared for this individual, take responsibility and end it. No more excuses, this is a toxic relationship that is hurting both of you. It's enabling her outrageous attitude (anyone who thinks they have the right to revoke the human rights of anyone else is just sick) and obviously causing you great mental duress. No more games, you are avoiding making a decision and thus prolonging the agony between the both of you. She obviously won't make the call so you better do it for the sake of both of you. Don't shrug it off, write a half hearted response or bow to her whims; firmly say no and end it. Yes it will be inconvenient to change all of your contact information but would you rather prefer the alternative: have someone completely and utterly run your life while treating you like garbage?
    Blarg...

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    This, a thousand times. Don't accommodate her any further, even to the point of continuing conversation beyond the bare minimum; absolutely don't acquiesce to any of her demands.
    This, this, this.

Also, go read "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin de Becker. Most of the book discusses behaviours like this and strategies for obtaining peace. Seriously. You can get it for cheap, and it is spot on relevant for this situation. Read it.

Then break up and run.

You've got a lot of great breakup scripts, so I'm gonna focus on the post-breakup period in the following.

Becker's most important point: Do not reward the harassment by answering her after you've made your decision. Every answer prolongs her harrassment another handful of weeks.

Another few strategic-ish ideas, since you fear escalation:
    • If her phone harassment gets really bad, then change your number. Do not shut down your old one, as that will send her hunting for the new - instead let her think that messages get through and are ignored. Give your new number to people who are not her, and who will not pass it on.
    • Block her on every social media outlet and on every mail. Nothing comes of reading her contact attempts, except destroying your peace of mind. New technology thankfully makes blocking simple and easy.
    • Ask friends to NOT pass anything along. If a friend tries to pass on a message, say "I know your heart is in the right place, but the breakup was really bad, and I need to not hear this." If they keep bringing you messages, they are terrible friends and should be cut off. If they try to convince you to go back, throw them in a shark pit.
    • Your number one goal is to avoid and ignore. That comes before healing, before peace, before moving on, before understanding what went on. Avoidance is the key to freedom.

You cannot reply with anything that will bring you immediate peace. Anything you say will result in bombardment and harassment, and it will keep escalating (this is e.g. when abusers will threaten self-harm) until she gets tired. That can take anything from weeks to months. And any time you reward her with an answer, the cycle will start over.
    So, no. No quick remedies. With abusers and stalkers like this, freedom is a long and tiring process. But you can do it. You are physically far away from her, which is a blessing, and you want out. Those are great things.

Cut her off. Believe me, it will be worth it.
    Last edited by Glass Mouse; 2014-03-05 at 11:56 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Okay, not to totally go back on my earlier statement but since one of my believes is that people can deserve a second chance I'd at least recommend to think about ignoring any contact.
    I don't want to assume anything, but I am guessing that you are not familiar with his situation(beyond today's post)?
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xhosant View Post
    This is evil, evil GMing. Brilliant, good sir!

LGBTAitP
    Philemon avatar by the awesome Morbis Meh.
    Suikoden Tabletop-Work in progress

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you everyone for support! Right now I'm going to do something I have wanted to do for a loooong time... Hide! Just friggin' HIDE! I have my cell turned off, and I'm not in Skype. I'm just going to chill and think about nice things.
    Spoiler
    Show

Later on, I will handle the situation. The thing is that I have broken up already so many times... And just doesn't work. I don't know why.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Dahl View Post
    Later on, I will handle the situation. The thing is that I have broken up already so many times... And just doesn't work. I don't know why.
    Because you allow her to pull you back into it. Don't get me wrong, I am not blaming you, I support you completely. However, if you don't let her words affect you there is nothing she can do to you. So, take the first step towards freedom and be happy.

Also, here's a song for you.
    Last edited by Philemonite; 2014-03-05 at 01:23 PM.
    Show

LGBTAitP

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asteron Questar View Post
    I don't want to assume anything, but I am guessing that you are not familiar with his situation(beyond today's post)?
    I'm vaguely aware even if I can't recall exactly what happened each time. As I said, I'm not saying "give her another chance" so much as "don't take away the possibility to apologize". I know I'm likely giving her too much credit but if she really comes around it can be quite hard to not be able to apologize for your mistakes.

Uhm... I know it can be pretty hard to break up (okay, actually, I don't but people keep saying so) but with a person like her... I feel it really should be easy Enjoy your hiding but then tell her off
    "What's done is done."

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

I don't want to talk too much in platitudes, but all the same; there's a saying: fool me once, shame on you... well, you know the rest. A second chance, maybe that's fair enough, but we're well past that by this point.

Giving her the option to apologise is one thing, although it's quite difficult to take that away from someone completely if they genuinely mean it. In any case an apology does nothing much for Jon_Dahl and would only serve to salve her conscience; given the accommodations that have already been made and demanded it's a lot to ask now. In fact I'd usually advise almost anyone coming out of a relationship to refrain from writing/emailing/calling with that "final word apology" - it doesn't actually help and never quite comes across right, so removing that option is in some ways a kindness.

But regardless, that doesn't change the fundamental necessity here, which is that this relationship should be ended urgently. Doing anything else is madness. She's already set fire to the bridges, just put down the fire extinguisher and walk away.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Giving her the option to apologise is one thing, although it's quite difficult to take that away from someone completely if they genuinely mean it.
    This is important. People can and will find ways to contact you, if they really mean it. Even if she manages to harass him (and thus get blocked) via every conceivable contact form, by the time she is ready to apologize* there will be another. Or a common friend. Or, heck, a new fake Facebook profile.
    It's stunningly easy to get in contact with people who haven't been helped by the law or a name change.

That said, I'm firmly in the camp of "not the harassee's problem!". If someone is treating you like that, you owe them nothing. And the cost to one's peace of mind is simply too high to attempt such kindness.
    Heck, like Aedilred says, the nuclear option is standard procedure for most breakups anyway. This is just a more thorough version.

And Jon_Dahl, that sounds like a very smart, short-term strategy. You're giving yourself some room to think and breathe.
    I honestly think it's also the best long-term strategy (after informing her of your breakup, of course). Let her know your decision, then BLOCK BLOCK BLOCK. And keep hiding. Enlist some friends to distract you for the next week or two, and do not engage. Don't take the phone. Delete messages without reading them. Etc.
    Best of luck to you. I hope it sticks sometime soon.

*which, by the sound of things, will be years from now, if ever.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Colossus in the Playground

The only response you should be giving her:
    "You're right, no more fake lame excuses. I'm done. We're over. this relationship is ended. Do not contact me, I will not respond. Goodbye."
    You don't need to use those exact words, but you DO neeD to use that exact attitude - no apologies, no explanations, no justifications, no platitudes, no wriggle-room. Just end it, and do not allow room for her to manipulate you back into it.
    I am completely for second chances and making sure that everyone has closure, but this is an abusive relationship. That woman is abusive and manipulative. The only closure and second chance is the one she might get for herself if she goes through a lot of therapy and introspection and realises what a horrible partner she is. The abuser has no "right" to contact her victim.
    And even from the other point of view, until someone lays down the law in no uncertain terms, she has no reason nor opportunity for introspection to realise her bad behaviour, and so long as she has her claws in him she won't be able to move on and find another, healthier relationship.
    This. Needs. To. End. And it needs to end decisively, no room for ambiguity or loopholes or loose ends.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Yesterday she sent me 26 messages, most of them has subject only and no body. I read them a bit and I wish I could just disappear.

16. - Top - End - #76

Out of morbid curiosity, what were the headings?
    Out of practical desire to help, are they in response to a message you sent, or your failure to send a message?

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Yesterday she sent me 26 messages, most of them has subject only and no body. I read them a bit and I wish I could just disappear.
    Although I'm in a pretty bad place to offer advice to anyone - that last line makes a lot of sense. You're hugely stressed out by this and you want to disappear. So disappear! Most people's minds have strong self protection mechanisms - so perhaps ask yourself *why* you feel like this. That answer will be your reason for breaking contact.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I know I'm only echoing what everyone else has said before, but...

GET OUT. NOW.

She has no right to demand that you neglect your father, and no right to demand that you propose (or do anything else, for that matter). The fact that she thinks she does tells you everything you need to know.

It sounds like you have started to cut off contact. I'm just going to second everything everyone else has said here, too. New email accounts are quick and free. A new phone number is tougher, but still more than doable. Just whatever you do, shut down for a while.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

The thing is that I have broken up already so many times... And just doesn't work. I don't know why.
    Because you still allow her space in your life. . . The reason that people have been telling you to block her, not pick up her calls, and deleting her emails before reading them. you need to end this. You know this. You've mentioned knowing this. So finish it. Move on. Ignore her and allow her to either find somebody else to hurt, drain, and try to control or perhaps even grow up and heal.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

We have a bot in the thread?
    Show

LGBTAitP

21. - Top - End - #81

I doubt it needs saying again, but... get out, Jon_Dahl. Don't read the emails, just delete them or send them to spam or whatever it takes not to have to deal with them.

I speak from experience; I had a long-distance relationship like that and I had to live though the woman in question trying to fake her own death because I was not paying her enough attention. When that didn't work, she decided that she would cross the Atlantic (like I said, long-distance) without telling me to surprise me at home. Thankfully, I was ex-directory and she didn't know my real address, so she didn't manage it, but... it got creepy.

In the end, a clean break was the only way to escape. I abandoned an on-line identity, two email addresses and moved on as best I could. Now, I am happily married and have a daughter, but I still get nervous around American women...

22. - Top - End - #82

OMG IT'S PRINCE OF CATS AAAAAAAAA
    <.< Ohai, long time no see :3

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm still hiding. I feel lonely and sad, and a bit edgy too, but I'm all right :) I've tried to communicate with her mom, but it's like talking to a wall. She's so defensive about her...

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

Hang in there Jon. One day at a time and all that. If her mum is that defensive about her, then she'll keep an eye on her. For now, just keep yourself safe.

25. - Top - End - #85

RedKnightGirl

I'm still hiding. I feel lonely and sad, and a bit edgy too, but I'm all right :) I've tried to communicate with her mom, but it's like talking to a wall. She's so defensive about her...
    I've bolded your problem for you. Her friends and family have no incentive to make things easy for you. Your life with her is over. There is no need for you to talk to her, her mother, or anyone who is even remotely connected with her. Don't do it, it will only make your life miserable. Besides, it sends the wrong message, namely that you have not moved on and can still be worked upon. If you want peace, you must make sure that their harassment goes unrewarded.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

26. - Top - End - #86

NecromancerGuy

Do you think you've done something terrible earlier in your life or in a past life that you have to atone for by punishing yourself?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Do you think you've done something terrible earlier in your life or in a past life that you have to atone for by punishing yourself?
    This is all guesswork, based on previous experience with something I went through several years ago.

Once, Jon loved this girl and things were good for a while. He watched someone he cared about become more depressed and controlling. Being a good person, he didn't want to see her upset and did everything he could to cheer her up and support her. Gradually, the love and affection became nothing but support.

She's scared of him going because she's now going to have to learn to support herself. Her parents are scared because they don't know how to support their daughter. Our friend Jon is scared because he feels an enormous amount of responsibility, complicated with echoes of that earlier love and affection.

Think about the last time you made a clean break with someone. Was there a part of your brain that wondered how they were doing. A part that worried if they were okay? Then you've got the loneliness as well. Lonely feelings are incredibly ****ty, especially when you've had a rough time. You want to reach out to someone - *anyone* - to make that feeling go away. Being addicted to a person and overcoming that addiction is hard, as any smoker can tell you. But as many ex-smokers can tell you - it can be done.

28. - Top - End - #88

Don't.
    You were in an abusive relationship. This woman is abusive. The only thing you "owe" her, and the only thing you are responsible for, is telling her that your relationship is over. That's all. If you haven't already done that, do that, and finish it there.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

I see no real future for myself. I doubt anyone has ever been interested in me. What else is there to say.
    DEGENERATION 86: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Don't.
    You were in an abusive relationship. This woman is abusive. The only thing you "owe" her, and the only thing you are responsible for, is telling her that your relationship is over. That's all. If you haven't already done that, do that, and finish it there.
    I just sent this to her less than a minute ago:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I have told you so many times to stop treating me badly and still you do it.
    I'm not talking with you any more. I'm not going to write you any more.
    We have been together for 6 years and you treat me like **** most of the time.
    You constantly say that I treat you like a bitch. You treat me like a slave. Now this cycle ends.
    I'm much happier alone. I will stay alone too.
    Stop writing me. Stop contacting me.
    I don't want anything from you.

I have destroyed your letters and your picture.

I haven't spoken with anyone about this, so there's no need to blame Menahem (like you always do!). All my friends think that we are happy together.

No excuses.

I feel extremely empty at the moment. 6 years...