New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Number Crunching (Proto-3e fix)

So, I'm thinking of making a 3.x varient/fix based on a proficiency system. You get something like 5-6 proficiencies, each of which give you a +1 bonus per level, and you have a class-based number which I am temporarily calling a "value" that applies to situations where you are called to do something you aren't proficient with (including combat with weapons you lack proficiency with, for example).

By selecting a different set of proficiencies, you can wind up proficient with stuff and not have your maximum possible bonus, but you can never go over the +1/level mark. I don't want [whatever] value to ever be equal to the max you could get, so the highest level for that is the current "medium" BAB progression from 3.5. For combat situations (and probably all situations), though, I'd like to still have "good," "medium," and "bad" values. I just did the numbers for +2/3 level, and this is what I got:
    Spoiler
    Show
    {table=head]
    level
    |
    +1 * level
    |
    +3/4 * level
    |
    +2/3 * level
    |
    +1/2 * level

1|+1|+0|+0|+0
    2|+2|+1|+1|+1
    3|+3|+2|+2|+1
    4|+4|+3|+2|+2
    5|+5|+3|+3|+2
    6|+6|+4|+4|+3
    7|+7|+5|+4|+3
    8|+8|+6|+5|+4
    9|+9|+6|+6|+4
    10|+10|+7|+6|+5
    11|+11|+8|+7|+5
    12|+12|+9|+8|+6
    13|+13|+9|+8|+6
    14|+14|+10|+9|+7
    15|+15|+11|+10|+7
    16|+16|+12|+10|+8
    17|+17|+12|+11|+8
    18|+18|+13|+12|+9
    19|+19|+14|+12|+9
    20|+20|+15|+13|+10
    [/table]

My issues are:

-I want to use fractional bonuses, because otherwise multiclassing gets weird, but that's awkward with fractions that aren't powers of 2.

-"Good," "medium," and "bad" values are not all different until level 7. I'm fine with them being the same at level 1-2, when adventurers are just starting out, but it's weird that the medium numbers bounce between the good and bad numbers for levels 3-7.

-I'm not sure how I want saving throws to work, or if I want to include a save/DC system in any way similar to 3.5's.

Thoughts? Ideas for different progressions?
    Last edited by unbeliever536; 2014-02-11 at 01:52 AM.
    Why should a man be scorned if, finding himself in prison, he tries to get out and go home? Or if, when he cannot do so, he thinks and talks about other topics than jailers and prison-walls?

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Friend Code: 4484-7979-9172
    DS name: Ben
    In-game name: Lief
    Friend safari: Charmeleon, Pansear, Ninetails

Brew:

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Number Crunching (Proto-3e fix)

What all do you intend to use proficiencies for? Just weapons? Weapons and magic? Weapons, magic, skills, saves, and miscellaneous class features like rage or animal companion?

In any case, I've thought using a 1/3 progression for bad and a 2/3 for medium might provide a more dramatic difference.

Alternatively, use 1/1, 3/4, and 2/3 with a +2, +1, and +0 starting bonus respectively to make them distinct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Number Crunching (Proto-3e fix)

These proficiencies would cover weapons (and a few other combat things that aren't strictly weapons), skills, psuedo-vancian casting and a modified psionics system that would bridge the gap between daily and at-will abilities. Proficiencies with a particular school of magic would replace caster level in prety much all cases. I was thinking AC would scale with combat value (or maybe armor proficiency. I'm not sure I want that much scaling though). If it does scale to combat value, I could easily see scaling saving throws and DCs to a "magic value" rather than the current semi-scaling mess.

Your numerical ideas are interesting, but I can't do the numbers at the moment.
    Why should a man be scorned if, finding himself in prison, he tries to get out and go home? Or if, when he cannot do so, he thinks and talks about other topics than jailers and prison-walls?

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Friend Code: 4484-7979-9172
    DS name: Ben
    In-game name: Lief
    Friend safari: Charmeleon, Pansear, Ninetails

Brew: