Ogre in the Playground

Default [BitPR2] Renewed Revolution: Mortal World III

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [BitPR2] Renewed Revolution: Mortal World III

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuroimaken View Post
    "A fair question. Typically, spirits will fall into one of three kinds.

There are 'Pluses', which are the spirits of the recently deceased. They look like regular people for the most part - except they have broken chains hanging out from their chests. Those broken chains are what used to link their spirits to their bodies. VERY rarely, you may see people whose bodies are still connected to their spirits by that chain. It is usually in their best interest that they return as soon as possible. They pretty much cannot affect the physical world most of the time and are thus harmless. They're also bound to Earth for a number of reasons - if you can find such reasons and resolve them, they'll move on.

There are Shinigami. These are spirits clad in black carrying swords. Their job is to bring Pluses to the afterlife, and fight Hollows - more on that in a bit. Their role is largely benefic and they can often be trusted, by and large - they belong to an organization in the afterlife. As you can imagine, there are Shinigami who don't belong to said organization or have their own agendas. They're not visually distinguishable from their 'nice' counterparts; you'd have to use your best judgement. Think of them as otherworldly policemen. Unlike Pluses, they are capable of affecting the physical world at will. They are Pluses themselves, but more powerful ones, and they also have no chains.

Then there are Hollows. These you'll recognize right away. They're masked monsters with large holes in their chests. They feast on human souls. Rarely attack living humans, but they will do so if said human looks tasty enough - by which I mean whether they are strong enough spiritually. Unfortunately, a lot of citizens in this town fit that description. Yourself included. They used to be Pluses - hanging around Earth too long causes their souls to degrade until they change. They'll typically attack former loved ones first, then anyone that looks like a good snack, and in case you didn't get the hint by now, they're EXTREMELY dangerous.

Some of the older kinds of Hollows eventually change to human form. I don't know exactly how it happens, but they typically have a gaping hole somewhere in their bodies too, as well as broken pieces of mask that look made out of bone. They're also extremely unpredictable - unlike regular Hollows, they don't need to feed, so what they want is typically anybody's guess. Be VERY wary if one of them chooses to approach you - by and large there's no reason to trust them, even if they don't want to eat you.

This concludes Spirit Identification 101. Questions?"
    [Park]

"Seems straightforward, no questions yet."
    Last edited by cardrian; 2014-02-12 at 02:37 PM.
    My BiTP characters.

Squall avatar by Crestfallen.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: Previous avatars
    Show
    Awesome Protean avatar by Serpentine

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    [Quarry]

Alice, somewhat surprised at Katsuo's bold approach as well, lands a handful of metres away. Nodding approvingly to the iron-gripped youth, Alice speaks.

"Need assistance? I should be able to paralyse or tranquillise most Mortals, albeit there is a higher level of uncertainty in this case."

The questions is rapid, but casual and encouraging.
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberryman View Post
    (Quarry)

Katsuo looks to Alice for a moment, giving a "not now" look. Then he turns his attention back to A-1.

"Who are you? And why are you attacking my friends?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorizzit View Post
    [Quarry]
    Bunker Exterior

"Full Unit Designation: Project New Moon Alpha-1M.68. Kamogawa Shinji has displayed hostile behavior patterns towards this unit, Charles Anderson has displayed traitorous tolerance of Shinigami, and past behaviors indicate that you will attempt to aid them."
    "What protocol takes the highest possible priority?

The prosperity and survival of the Quincy, or the destruction of the Shinigami?
    "

Chuck's voice was a mix of sand, angry, and bitter. He glanced at Shinji as he spoke.

"Who are you worried about confusing, Shinji?"

Since, you know, Naito was apparently a girl.

This report was gonna be a long one.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Quarry]
    Bunker Exterior

"This unit's highest priority function is the annihilation of the Quincy."

It pauses. If its face was visible, the assembled group would be able to see it blink in confusion.

"Error. Running diagnostic. Initial diagnostic complete. Multiple sections of corrupted coding detected. Repair protocol currently non-viable. Preparing to isolate corrupted code. Error. Internal interference detected. Native soul is interfering. Error. Native soul does not exist. Error."

The AI's voice fades in an out of the monotone it has previously exhibited as it becomes increasingly confused.
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

smile Re: [BitPR2] Renewed Revolution: Mortal World III

[Quarry]
    Bunker Exterior

Alice gives Shinji and Chuck both a confused look, seemingly expecting another reaction from the young Mortals. As Alpha-1 speaks, the Shinigami turns her gaze to Naito's body with a concerned look.

"I sincerely hope I am wrong, but I suspect the creators of this soul intended a weapon, but created an autonomous soul regardless. Even the most unethical of my colleagues tend to avoid that, at the very least for the sake of efficiency. Would you permit me to attempt separating them from the body before either soul takes damage?"

The question is directed at Shinji and Chuck, the tone clearly indicating that Alice does not see Alpha-1's errors as a good sign for either that soul or Naito's.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Yes they do." Hasunaga responds automatically, and drew a breath to ask what that had to do with anything before Miya's revelation.

"What...?" He pauses in confusion for a moment before adding, "It is true that when the Shinigami purify Hollows, they are reborn as Pluses in Soul Society. But they seldom recover their memories, and I've never heard of a Plus coming back to the world of the living after that..." This was most definitely a puzzle. Yes, there was a possibility, but...

"Are you POSITIVE it was your mother, Miya?"
    Ikari
    Hasunaga's Place

If she was asked that question - being positive that it was her mother - weeks ago, then Miya would have angrily responded "of course!". However, now...

Miya intakes a deep breath: it's the first time she's admitting these doubts aloud. "I don't...I don't really know," she says, looking down into her tea. "It has to be, right? Who else could it be?"

She looks up at Sensei Hasunaga, and continues. "She looks the same, she has the same voice, she knows all the little things only my mother would know," she starts, "but there's little things here and there that don't make sense. My - Hikari, she evades all my questions, and tells me to keep all sorts of secrets, and sometimes there's little strange things that don't add up."

"Which, I guess, could be reasoned away because she kept so many secrets from me while my mother was alive, but..."
    Miya swallows, and then explains in a big, long, breathless sentence why she thought going to Hueco Mundo would give answers. "...and so when I ran into that man this morning, I thought I could find out what had happened and if anyone there would know, because I sometimes overheard Hinata and Naito and Natsuki and other people in class talking about the ghosts and the Hollows, and so I thought that maybe she had gone there after she died and then..."

She's out of breath, and can't continue without breathing again.

"I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love
    will have the final word in reality. This is why right,
    temporarily defeated, is stronger than evil triumphant."
    -Martin Luther King, Jr.

I'm feeling better now.
    Harley Zorzo's Backstory

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

(Quarry)

Katsuo is looking mighty confused. So that may answer Chuck's question. He looks to his friends as best he can with a quizzical look.

"...uh, what? Is she... some kind of robot? I don't understand..."

He has to hide the slight annoyance. It was bad enough with Hollows and Shinigami and Arrancar...
    My Homebrew
    Latest: Epic Destinies of the Bo9S [WIP]

Sick props to Akrim.elf for the rockin' Chouko-tar!
    Spoiler
    Show

Troll Matesprits by Shades of Gray

My Eberron Campaign has mechas, bandits on exploding steampunk motorcycles, electric guitars, and a wolfgirl cohort/animal companion. What about you?

BitP: Rebornē characters!
    RWBY RP characters!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cardrian View Post
    [Park]

"Seems straightforward, no questions yet."
    "Have you become able to do something you were not before?"

"We don't know what that will do. There are actually two distinct souls inside that body right now. I don't think you can pick and choose which to separate, can you?

We need to knock her out. Gain more time."

As he speaks, Shinji expands his barrier. Now it includes Alice, Chuck and himself. He attempts to make it more solid, more capable of containing them all.

"Chuck... don't suppose you have any form of spiritual tranquilizers on you?"
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mahonri Violist View Post
    Ikari
    Hasunaga's Place

If she was asked that question - being positive that it was her mother - weeks ago, then Miya would have angrily responded "of course!". However, now...

Miya intakes a deep breath: it's the first time she's admitting these doubts aloud. "I don't...I don't really know," she says, looking down into her tea. "It has to be, right? Who else could it be?"

She looks up at Sensei Hasunaga, and continues. "She looks the same, she has the same voice, she knows all the little things only my mother would know," she starts, "but there's little things here and there that don't make sense. My - Hikari, she evades all my questions, and tells me to keep all sorts of secrets, and sometimes there's little strange things that don't add up."

"Which, I guess, could be reasoned away because she kept so many secrets from me while my mother was alive, but..."
    Miya swallows, and then explains in a big, long, breathless sentence why she thought going to Hueco Mundo would give answers. "...and so when I ran into that man this morning, I thought I could find out what had happened and if anyone there would know, because I sometimes overheard Hinata and Naito and Natsuki and other people in class talking about the ghosts and the Hollows, and so I thought that maybe she had gone there after she died and then..."

She's out of breath, and can't continue without breathing again.
    "Take it slowly. Calm down. Collect your thoughts." Hasunaga asks of his student before sipping some tea himself. He seems more collected now.

"Doesn't sound to me like Hikari would have reason to go to Hueco Mundo. It's a dangerous place even for Hollows themselves, and she probably knows that. If she can reason as a human being, whether as a Hollow or not, then she probably has reason to stay here. The fact she hasn't attacked you also speaks in her favor about this." At this point, he's reasoning aloud. And in the back of his mind, he is kind of wondering why she hasn't chosen to talk to him...

"Miya... is there anything, anything at ALL, that she has told you that you think I should know?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Have you become able to do something you were not before?"
    "I'm assuming the sixth sense doesn't count, so no."
    Last edited by cardrian; 2014-02-14 at 07:49 PM.
    My BiTP characters.

Spoiler
    Show

Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

"I'm assuming the sixth sense doesn't count, so no."
    "Well, as a general rule those with certain levels of ability to see spirits may or may not develop special powers. There's actually a lot of mediums out there who can't see or hear spirits clearly. Some charlatans make use of that fact to fool people.

In any case, spiritual sensitivity can either increase with time or not at all. This town is particularly strong in supernatural activity, so the chances hinge a little more on the former than the latter. No one knows for sure why.

How do you feel about the subject, by the by?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Now that I know about it, I can't just ignore it." The student flashes a grin. "I want to get involved, see what I can do, maybe help people."
    My BiTP characters.

Spoiler
    Show

Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Hasunaga grumbles to himself. "Of course you do, why should it be any different..."

He sighs.

"Aside from the Shinigami themselves, there are a number of organizations that already work said field. They're typically secret, don't take members outside of their families, and all of those who DO belong have some means of fighting off spirits themselves. They live short, brutal, taxing lives and are never recognized for their work outside of their peers.

Do you understand what I'm driving at, Torahiko-kun?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

"It's not worth it, and the job is already taken." Torahiko seems noticeably less enthusiastic already. "So what should I do? And what if I develop some kind of ability?"
    Last edited by cardrian; 2014-02-14 at 10:38 PM.
    My BiTP characters.

Spoiler
    Show

Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

"You keep your head down and you stay out of trouble. If you do run into trouble, or if you develop any special abilities, you come to me. Got it?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

"We don't know what that will do. There are actually two distinct souls inside that body right now. I don't think you can pick and choose which to separate, can you?

We need to knock her out. Gain more time."

As he speaks, Shinji expands his barrier. Now it includes Alice, Chuck and himself. He attempts to make it more solid, more capable of containing them all.

"Chuck... don't suppose you have any form of spiritual tranquilizers on you?"
    Alice nods.

"It's unlikely that I will be able to differentiate, yes. It has little risk of causing harm unless the chain is severed or the soul consumed by Hollow. However, I have no prior data on a situation like this, not even from prior disruptions of Mortal experimentation on souls, so the uncertainty is indeed higher."

Gesturing demonstratively at Alpha-1, the Shinigami continues in a more cautionary tone.

"The confusion and disruption of this soul's thoughts indicate stress from the relationship, however. Thus I cannot guarantee it will leave either soul unharmed, particularly if there is a Hollow presence in the same body."

Finishing the explanation, the Shinigami scientist raises a hand to indicate an inspoken "but". Slightly more cheerfully, Alice adds:

"I am however capable of providing means of tranquilising both Mortal and spiritual beings. Safest would be through Kido, though I can provide sedatives as well."
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

"Less talking. More sedating. From your tone you sound like some sort of scientist. You can help us puzzle it out."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

[Quarry]
    Bunker Exterior

Alpha-1 has remained mostly compliant during the process, periodically twitching but making no attempts to escape Katsuo's grip. While the others talk, however, Katsuo can just barely hear the AI say something.

"Disabling all unnecessary mental processes."

From one palm, a single line of runes flows to the ground. A runed circle of light appears in a large area surrounding Alpha-1, with four large crosses raising from its perimeter.

"Kirchenlied: Pferrer Zwinger."

Everyone present has just enough time to get out of the affected area before the effect begins. Once it does, a massive surge of light and energy erupts like a pillar from the ground, blasting away at anyone inside. There are two effects of the spell: the first tears away at the body like a burning hot power sander, and the second forces them away from the center of the circle, where Alpha-1 stands. Even Katsuo is going to have an extremely difficult time remaining inside.
    Last edited by Dorizzit; 2014-02-15 at 12:26 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

"You keep your head down and you stay out of trouble. If you do run into trouble, or if you develop any special abilities, you come to me. Got it?"
    The student nods yes. "Got it, anything else?"
    Last edited by cardrian; 2014-02-15 at 06:42 PM.
    My BiTP characters.

Spoiler
    Show

Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

[Quarry]
    Bunker Exterior

Chuck shook his head at the suggestion of punching souls out of the body.

"Yeah, I'm with Shinji. Trying to push out one or more souls is far too dangerous. We need to sedate her; maybe then we can, I don't know, reason with the AI or something."

He turned to Shinji, sighing as he shook his head.

"I don't know any tranquilizing effects. I'm a Hunter, not a Medic or whatnot. I think Shinigami Kido is the way to-"

He hadn't noticed the chanting, but he'd just barely caught the flow of runes along the ground. And when the crosses started to raise up, he grabbed Shinji (again) and made a run for it, again. He shouted only one word; it wasn't entirely accurate, but it got the point across enough to get people moving, he hoped.

"GRENADE!!!"

And there he went, off in another Hirenkyaku blitz. He'd had enough warning that the effects of the spell were mostly minimized, but it wasn't exactly comfortable. And of course, any of Shinji's spellwork would be disrupted.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Shinji had been focused enough on his spell that Chuck's motions are the only thing that had saved his life.

"*cough* Thanks, Chuck."

Shinji's mind worked feverishly to try and see a way out of this situation. They couldn't overpower Alpha with sheer strength alone. Her ability was beyond their capacity to safely handle.

It would be much easier if this were an actual enemy, but...

"I'm gonna try to neutralize her Reishi manipulation. I'm gonna need time. And she's going to focus either on you or the Shinigami lady. If you've got something you can use to cause a distraction, now's the best time."

He whispered to his friend as he got back on his feet; Shinji's power was not essentially too different from a Quincy's, but it was more difficult to use. If he wanted to get this right, he'd need a perfect shot.

He threw two ofuda up in the air, which briefly shone before they materialized into a pair of oni. One had a golden body, while the other possessed greyish-green skin.

"Kin-ki! Fuu-ki!"

Good thing he doesn't expect anyone here to know their Japanese History.

The golden oni immediately charged to tackle Alpha-1, while the greenish oni seemed to focus his energy on something else...

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

(Quarry)

Indeed, Katsuo is caught enough off-guard that the spell gives a good push against his grip. The pain is another thing. Even with his highly durable skin, the energy begins to cut through his own reiatsu field, the skin turning red like a slow-motion road-rash. But still, he manages a single hand on A-1, and with the final moments of his grip, he does a last-ditch toss, throwing her towards the rocks of the quarry before he's fully pushed back.
    My Homebrew
    Latest: Epic Destinies of the Bo9S [WIP]

Sick props to Akrim.elf for the rockin' Chouko-tar!
    Spoiler
    Show

Troll Matesprits by Shades of Gray

My Eberron Campaign has mechas, bandits on exploding steampunk motorcycles, electric guitars, and a wolfgirl cohort/animal companion. What about you?

BitP: Rebornē characters!
    RWBY RP characters!

23. - Top - End - #23

[Quarry]
    Bunker Exterior

Alpha-1 flies through the air as Katsuo hurls it, agilely flipping around in mid-flight in order to land in a three-point stance. The loose stones of the quarry slide beneath its feet, but it manages to remain upright. Kin-ki charges at Alpha-1, but the weapon simply slides agilely past it, producing two more knives in the course of an instant and trying to slice it apart. To the AI's displeasure, however, the knives simply shatter against the Oni's impenetrable body. Adjusting tactics immediately, Alpha-1 slices one of its fingers off and tosses the severed digit at Kin-Ki before holding an outstretched hand at it. The blood flowing from the finger begins glowing.

"Gritz."

A hardened cocoon surrounds Kin-Ki. Alpha-1, meanwhile, turns to face the group, the missing finger regenerating before their eyes. While Kin-Ki is dealt with, for the moment, its interference cost Alpha-1 another chance to escape.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

The coccoon proves less than effective as Fuu-ki disperses a gale in its direction, which helps keep the golden oni free, though they are unable to do more than aid each other in this instance.

In the meantime, Shinji is moving about... erratically. It's hard to tell what his intention is.

But he does seem to be moving faster.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

The student nods yes. "Got it, anything else?"
    "Well, yes. If at any point you feel like this ability is a burden, I should be able to provide you with something that shuts it off. Not pleasant to have around everyday, though."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Unpleasant how?" Torahiko remains as inquisitive as before, if less enamored with the idea of spirits.
    My BiTP characters.

Spoiler
    Show

Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Oh good, that means that Hasunaga is doing his job properly...

"Only thing that can do it is a specific kind of mineral. Supresses spiritual energy, see. But depending on how much you've got, it just gets too heavy. For someone like me, I'd probably need a vest of the stuff."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I take it you've tried doing that?"
    Last edited by cardrian; 2014-02-15 at 10:23 PM.
    My BiTP characters.

Spoiler
    Show

Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

[Quarry]
    Bunker Exterior

Alice notices Alpha-1's attack rather late, but is still able to leap free from the effect before being noticeably affected. Landing, the Shinigami raises a hand to her ear and rattles off a quick order, evidently through some sort of transmitter.

"Tranq darts only, don't fire unless target escapes our area."

As Shinji's oni attack, Alice nods at Shinji, affirming that she heard the plan.

"A distraction should be easy"

Leaping, the Shinigami scientist begins moving toward Alpha-1 in an arch, seemingly trying to cut off the artificial soul's escape. En route, The soul reaper sends a simple binding kido towards Alpha-1. The glowing strands are easy to avoid, but not enough to not take up attention.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

"I take it you've tried doing that?"
    "No, it's just a projection. And not even a practical one. I might actually need more than that."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show