New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [BitPR2] Renewed Revolution: Mortal World III

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroimaken View Post
    "Not my veins, no. Have I told you before how my powers work?"

Once the bandages are off, Shinji closes his eyes, trying to concentrate. This apparently causes the lines to recede a little faster.
    Katsuo nods very slightly. "...is this normal? For you, I mean."

(Ikari Hotel)

Misaki enters room 335 in one of the largest hotels in town, removing her riding suit (revealing she was wearing naught but lingerie underneath) and plopping down on the bed. Her reiatsu was being internalized by the specialized equipment on her suit, making the likelihood of her being tracked extremely low in all of the chaos. And now, she was just another drop in the bucket, with all of the chaos going on.

She doesn't think about the people she just murdered. That was the furthest thing from her head. She thought only of the Moto clan being that much closer to domination. For now, it's Japan.

...she starts laughing, a bubbly, manic sound.

--

A few hours later, she leaves the hotel, renting a car to drive back to Tokyo. In the room next to hers is the body of Marlene Anderson. As far as anyone could tell, her death occurred after the attack on the Akiyama compound by a cyanide pill. The Motos were not unfamiliar with this concept; they implemented ginto in such a way that the processes after death could be delayed.
    My Homebrew
    Sick props to Akrim.elf for the rockin' Chouko-tar!

BitP: Reborn² characters!
    Madokapunk!

2. - Top - End - #182
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    [Elsewhere in Japan]

Niklaus "W" Gottschalk puts down his phone and sighs. Then, he turns to look at the hapless young couple he has bound and gagged on their own living room couch. The two are entirely average-looking Japanese people, with black hair and brown eyes, staring at the strange man in their room in wild terror. They have no clue of any spiritual war going around them, and there is nothing special about them - save for one of them being daughter of Akiyama Hoshi.

Niklaus lifts his hat a bit, thinking. Then he sighs, and shrugs. Not the first time he's killed hapless civilians. He rolls up his sleeves and puts his hat on the living room table. Then, he gestures he'll be back in a moment, and walks into the kitchen. Whistling a merry tune, he opens up a drawer and pulls out a sharp knife.
    "Your boss looks like he could've been pulled straight out of the Sanguozhi, you know that?"

The voice came from behind Niklaus. Naturally, there was no one there.

"I mean, really. It's not enough to kill people and put the blame on someone else. He's gotta go ahead and whip the family into a bigger frenzy by killing those who can't even defend themselves.

That's the kind of person I hate the most."

Niklaus could tell the voice was being projected locally. He could feel the scent of another in the room here, but he couldn't make out where it was strongest.

"At least now I know for a fact that there's a third party involved.

Luckily, I have a reputation for going off to do stupid things I'm not supposed to. Like going for a snack in the middle of a conference to determine the fate of the Mortal World and stumbling onto cold-blooded murder-to-be."

There! In the corner. Mixed with the heretofore undetectable man's smell. It smells like... dumplings?

"Well then. Are you going to behave, surrender and tell me what you know? Or am I going to have to monologue you to death?"
    Last edited by Kuroimaken; 2014-03-02 at 03:14 PM.
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

3. - Top - End - #183
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryman View Post
    Katsuo nods very slightly. "...is this normal? For you, I mean."
    "It is. Bit of a consequence when I get sloppy or in over my head. Most people who overwork their spiritual powers just end up exhausted and drained. But I don't use my internal reserves as much - only to filter out the energy from the leylines. So when I go a bit crazy with my powers, I end up absorbing the impurities that come with the very life of the Earth.

Or... well, that's one way to interpret things anyway. It looks worse than it is. Just between you and me, that little fall I took there was a play for sympathy. Figured it might come in handy if the moods got heated during the conference - I didn't figure that's the way I was gonna use it.

Although the effects of sakanagi are pretty unpleasant to look at anyway. Sorry I subjected you to that..."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ettin in the Playground

[Elsewhere in Japan]
    Apartment of Hoshi's daughter

Niklaus stops whistiling for a moment glances over his shoulder. An interloper? When did they get here? Hmmm. Possibly, the primary target (Hoshi) informed an associate of the whereabouts of her children and asked them to protect them. Upon hearing of the lucky coincidence with Akiyama Kaede, said associate must've thought to check if family of her sister is being targeted too. They might have been here all along... no. He would've sensed it earlier. And whoever this interloper is probably would've taken the secondary targets to safety had they been here in time.

Niklaus resumes whistling. Based on monologue of the interloper, they are not as aware of the big picture as they'd like to be. They were sneaky enough to get inside without being noticed, so if they'd wanted to kill him, they would've already given it a shot. This chattiness implies they want to capture him alive, get some answers. A big grin spreads over Niklaus's face as he weighs the knife in his hand.

It might be funny to reveal he and his boss actually had nothing to do with Kaede's assassination, and it was mostly just a lucky coincidence as far as he's concerned. He's not representative of a third party, he's more like the fourth or fifth... actually, sixth now, presuming the disturbance at the Anderson's rented apartment was truly caused by an unknown factor.

It would likewise be amusing to remind this interloper that Hoshi has two children, and a different assassin is taking care of the sonäs family. But that, they must already know. Coming here was either a calculated risk, or they have back-up taking care of the tertiary target.

Sadly, he's not the kind of a man to talk much.

With one swift swing of his arm, the Rössel turns arond halfway and throws the knife... through the kitchen wall, towards the living room couch. With his strenght, the heavy knife can go through these soft interior walls as if they were paper. Might screw up his aim a bit, though. Should hit the woman in the chest, might hit her head though.

Let's see what this interloper can do.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

5. - Top - End - #185
    Orc in the Playground

The knife pierces the poor woman through her chest and she slumps forward. But there's no blood...

...because she's a dummy.

Who promptly stands up, pulls the knife THROUGH her stuffed chest, and with button eyes, a zipper for lips and stitched-up eyebrows proceeds to verbally chew out her assailant.

"OI!! What's the big idea, you huge moron! Look what you did to my stitching! I'm leaking fluff here! It's all your freakin' fault! Do you have any idea how hard it was to stuff my boobs without them ballooning up?! You owe me reparations! A first-class tailor to say the LEAST!"

She tosses the knife back. Though it lacks Niklaus' sheer strength, it still comes in awful fast at the man.
    Last edited by Kuroimaken; 2014-03-02 at 03:29 PM.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

Niklaus concludes the scene is impossible and has nothing to do with what's really happening, not the least because there's still a wall between him and the living room. Something is cheating his senses. Nerve gas?

The knife, real or surreal, is allowed to hit him unimpeded. Niklaus knows how hard he threw that knife: hard enough to kill an unpowered mortal, not hard enough to even scratch his Blut Vene. This should prove an interesting benchmark for how much the interloper thinks they know of their adversary.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Orc in the Playground

Niklaus' choice proves to be a mistake. Mostly because the knife shatters into what looks like potent acid. It may not be strong enough to really eat through his protection, but it does prove strong enough to provoke a lot of pain.

The wall seems to disappear, only to reveal the dummy behind it. Its clothing has changed - she now looks like a cowgirl.

"Gonna give me the silent treatment, are ya? Well nobody ignores Calamity Jane and lives to tell the tale!"

She draws a pair of VERY oversized revolvers and begins shooting at Niklaus. The bullets eat right through the wall as they gun for him.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

[The Void]
    Australia Bound

Quote Originally Posted by Dorizzit View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I've only heard of two cases in which a Hollow was killed by an ordinary animal. Both took place in Australia. I'm willing to believe that your spiders are just as bad as my own, if not worse."

How magnanimous.
    Anthony chuckled.

"I'd have thought those honey badgers in Africa were a close contender, but fair enough.

Spoiler
    Show
    Jehoel smiles, and no matter how genial he seems to act, there is always something off-putting about his behavior. It feels wrong, somehow.

"To think only in terms of the potential threat a person represents is to do them and yourself a great disservice. All intelligent life is fascinating, I find, and interesting people are one of only a few things that can motivate me. Charles' drive and determination are rare in one of his age, and I feel that he has the potential to become a very noteworthy adult. Moreover, he has some fascinating friends; I believe that together they have the potential to grow into something truly interesting indeed."
    Now a more sober expression.

"Hm. I can...understand that. And we'll have to look into these friends of his. Maybe when things are better we'll be able to lend them help or something."

He glanced ahead, his keen Quincy senses divining something.

"It's hard to tell, but...are we close?"

Spoiler
    Show
    (OOC: Probably ought to have them get dropped off so Jehoel can nab Chuck at the right moment.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Ikari]
    Chuck's Apartment
    The Ginto are each rendered inert in the same way Alpha-1 previously deactivated the first two, impacting harmlessly against Alpha-1's body rather than detonating. This does not, however, leave time for the AI to respond to the Seele Schneiders, which impale it through the torso in two places. Calmly, Alpha-1 reaches down and carefully removes both of the weapons. As its wounds close, it disintegrates the Seele Schneiders, storing them in its personal field of Reishi for later use.

Chuck has his moment of respite, as Alpha-1 does not take particular haste in pursuing him. When it comes into sight, however, a bright light in its hand indicates the presence of a charging Cero. It smiles, ever so slightly, before releasing it at Chuck, blowing away a large section of the apartment building. Within an instant of the blast being fired, Alpha-1 appears alongside Chuck, immediately initiating a grab aiming to simultaneously take his gun and break his arm.
    Chuck had taken a moment to collect himself, but at the sight of the unharmed Alpha-1 charging a Cero, his eyes almost bulged. Rather than going out the window, his kukri flashed in a cutting pattern, and he went through the wall back into his living room.

Of course, his jacket caught fire, but his Vene meant it was no concern of his. He simply shrugged off the burning shreds.

It's only thanks to the Vene that his arm doesn't shatter when Alpha-1 grabs it, though he nearly loses the gun. In a blur, his kukri is gripped in his teeth (edge out, of course), and both hands are...trying to force the gun into a firing position?

Alpha-1 may understand his intent after a moment. Chuck is trying to leverage the gun to fire into the AI's Saketsu/Chain of Fate. Likely in an attempt to reduce its power. Non-lethal, and while it would strip his friend Naito of Naito's power, it would not take Naito's life.

So now the question was if he could do that before the bones in his right arm gave out, or the gun crumbled?
    Last edited by KnightDisciple; 2014-03-02 at 07:03 PM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    "It is. Bit of a consequence when I get sloppy or in over my head. Most people who overwork their spiritual powers just end up exhausted and drained. But I don't use my internal reserves as much - only to filter out the energy from the leylines. So when I go a bit crazy with my powers, I end up absorbing the impurities that come with the very life of the Earth.

Or... well, that's one way to interpret things anyway. It looks worse than it is. Just between you and me, that little fall I took there was a play for sympathy. Figured it might come in handy if the moods got heated during the conference - I didn't figure that's the way I was gonna use it.

Although the effects of sakanagi are pretty unpleasant to look at anyway. Sorry I subjected you to that..."
    Katsuo shakes his head. "It's... it's fine." He breathes a little slowly, trying to gain control of himself, as his face is still slightly pink.

"Why show me, though? ...other than being friends, I guess..."
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

10. - Top - End - #190
    Orc in the Playground

"Like I said, I couldn't ask the attendants. And there's actually something I need to ask you, and something I need to explain to you.

Remember that girl in the jumpsuit we fought the other night? That was actually Naito."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #191
    Orc in the Playground

Katsuo looks up into Shinji's eyes in shock. "I... what?"

"...can... can I just say that all this stuff is really confusing and... confusing." He seems only partly aware he repeated himself.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

12. - Top - End - #192
    Orc in the Playground

"Trust me, I realize just how weird it sounds when I say it.

That place we were at... there was a facility, and they did something to Naito there. We still don't fully understand what. But we know it was something horrible, that no one should go through.

We were investigating when some sort of... hypnotic suggestion took over. And Naito turned into that girl. She's the one in control right now, and Naito is probably fighting her, deep in his soul, as we speak. At this point I'm not even sure Naito's a he, but that's besides the point...

Anyway, you've seen what she can do. As we are, we don't stand a chance if she comes again. And we have even less of a chance of bringing Naito back.

We need to become stronger, Katsuo. I will understand if you want to stay out of this - Hasunaga-sensei told me you wanted to have a normal life and all. But I wanted to extend the invitation instead of deciding things for you."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #193
    Orc in the Playground

(Kuzunoha House)

Katsuo is silent for a few moments. Then, he shakes his head. "...I wanted a normal life. But... I couldn't forgive myself if I gave up, because now it's for Naito's sake. I don't just need to get stronger... I heard a voice, when she did... that thing. And... I knew you were in trouble. From what some people have said, I should be able to sense when something is going on... but I can't. And there are other things I can't do that are really problematic. I don't know if they're even things I can do... but I feel like if I listen to that voice... maybe I can find out some new things about myself."

"...but if I'm going to be our muscle, it couldn't hurt to do better at that, too." He gives a nervous smile.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

14. - Top - End - #194
    Orc in the Playground

"You're really modest, you know that?

You're not just our 'muscle', Katsuo. You have a lot of heart. A lot of kindness. People like Chuck and I... we've seen things that made us a lot more cynical than kids our age oughtta be. It speaks a lot for your character when you say things like that. You should know we value your strength of character and your friendship a lot more than we value what you bring with us to the battlefield. At the end of the day, that might just be what brings Naito back.

Now... this voice. What was it like? What did it sound like?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #195
    Orc in the Playground

(Kuzunoha House)

Katsuo sits back a bit, blushing a bit deeper at Shinji's praise, but thinking deeply at his questioning.

"...It's probably not her, but..." He looks up with a sad smile. "...It sounded like my mom."
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

16. - Top - End - #196
    Orc in the Playground

"Maybe. Can't be too sure... You'd be able to see her if she were there, but maybe a bit of her spirit stayed behind with you.

Can you tell me more about it?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #197
    Orc in the Playground

(Kuzunoha House)

Katsuo brings his knees up, resting his arms on them. "It was like... just like her. A warm voice, a... protector, I guess." He... thinks of something, pulling at a cord around his neck, revealing a rather plain bronze talisman, in the shape of a scarab.

"...she bought me this on my birthday, before she..." He looks to the side, closing his eyes. But it's not enough to hold in the tears. "...I wished more than anything that I could save her. The rest of my family... never understood me. And this... these powers just made it worse."

"...but for a moment, I felt like she was there, warning me you were in trouble."
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

18. - Top - End - #198
    Bugbear in the Playground

[The Void]
    Australia Bound

"Unfortunately, the power to 'not give a f***' and the ability to actually overcome and kill an opponent of superior strength are in two entirely different realms."

Jehoel considers the Quincy's words about the Mortal World kids.

"A balancing act will need to be struck with them. We cannot help them too much, or we may harm the development of some of the potentially most powerful Mediums in history. As for our arrival time..."

Jehoel snaps his fingers, and another portal appears in front of the group.

"We have arrived. I will return to Japan and retrieve Charles as soon as everyone is out."

[Ikari]
    Chuck's Apartment

Alpha-1 simply laughs at Chuck's attempt to impair it. Easily locking him into a stalemate, it shakes its head in disappoint.

"That's adorable. I can't believe you're still trying not to hurt your friend. When will you understand? I didn't take their body, it occupied mine until I was ready for it."

One of the earliest lessons about any instantaneous movement technique is: be extremely careful about spatial awareness. Being improperly attached to something, or someone, else during the transition can lead to terrible injuries for one or both sides. Alpha-1 completely ignores all of this, using Hirenkyaku to move instantly to Chuck's side. The movement is self-destructive, shattering Alpha-1's arm, but this is little more than an inconvenience, while threatening to do the same to both the young Quincy and his gun.

???

Assassinations are delicate businesses indeed. Even leaving out the logistical difficulties of killing a target, it is also critically important to make sure that it is impossible to track the source of the murder back to yourself. After all, taking the life anyone important enough to kill has consequences for anyone caught in the act. Evading the suspicion of the Akiyamas was, perhaps, the most important and risky part of the entire Moto plot. The fact that it went smoothly should mean that everything is complete, and the assassination went off without a hitch.

Which is why Yui Moto is probably notably annoyed when a small, under-dressed, and most notably very, very powerful Quincy lands on the roof of her car.
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

[The Void]
    Australia Bound and Found.

"Unfortunately, the power to 'not give a f***' and the ability to actually overcome and kill an opponent of superior strength are in two entirely different realms."

Jehoel considers the Quincy's words about the Mortal World kids.

"A balancing act will need to be struck with them. We cannot help them too much, or we may harm the development of some of the potentially most powerful Mediums in history. As for our arrival time..."

Jehoel snaps his fingers, and another portal appears in front of the group.

"We have arrived. I will return to Japan and retrieve Charles as soon as everyone is out."
    A couple of the Andersons laughed at Jehoel's morbid humor.

The delegation blurred through the portal and was moving for a now-spinning-up helicopter on the pad, though Anthony stayed for a moment to look Jehoel in the eye.

"Thank you. I just hope this whole bloody mess works."

And then he's gone too. Hopefully there's not much rush for Jehoel to get back, though.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Ikari]
    Chuck's Apartment
    Alpha-1 simply laughs at Chuck's attempt to impair it. Easily locking him into a stalemate, it shakes its head in disappoint.

"That's adorable. I can't believe you're still trying not to hurt your friend. When will you understand? I didn't take their body, it occupied mine until I was ready for it."

One of the earliest lessons about any instantaneous movement technique is: be extremely careful about spatial awareness. Being improperly attached to something, or someone, else during the transition can lead to terrible injuries for one or both sides. Alpha-1 completely ignores all of this, using Hirenkyaku to move instantly to Chuck's side. The movement is self-destructive, shattering Alpha-1's arm, but this is little more than an inconvenience, while threatening to do the same to both the young Quincy and his gun.
    Chuck's eyes widened as he sensed the first moments of Alpha-1's high-speed movement. It was enough time for his left hand to get clear and begin moving toward his knife's handle...

But not enough time for him to avoid his gun shattering and his right arm suffering clean internal breaks in two places alongside muscle tears and ligament strain in multiple locations.

His scream of pain saw his knife released, but his left hand was fast enough to grip the handle and bring it around in a slash that carried almost as much cutting power as a Seele Schneider's blade, with real physical force behind it. If it connected it might damage the already-broken arm of the AI.

<You crazy bloody sheila! I'm gonna make sure you get deleted out of Tetsuhiko Naito's brain with extreme prejudice! If not today, then soon!>

Nevertheless, the young Quincy was, by this point, desperate enough to shove Reiatsu into the signal device he had on hand for Jehoel. Hopefully the stupid-powerful Arrancar would get the message in time to prevent Chuck's death.

If he had the room, Chuck would use his own high-speed movement to try and gain distance in the trashed, burning apartment wreck, with his back ending up against the intact wall between living room and kitchen.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Orc in the Playground

(Ikari > Tokyo)

Yui Moto sighs. What now. "Stop the car." The driver, who is notably more panicked than Yui, pulls over. She presses the sun-roof button, and raises her voice enough that it could be heard from the outside.

"Are you going to get off the roof and have a seat inside so we can discuss things like reasonable people, or are we going to have problems? I have a very busy schedule."
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

21. - Top - End - #201

[The Void]
    ???

Jehoel shrugs.

"Simple hope is a waste. If you have the strength to hope, you have the strength to fight to see your dreams achieved. Oh, and take this. It will allow you to contact me in the future, if necessary."

His errand complete, he turns and begins his trip back. After a few moments, however, a small stone in one of his pockets begins buzzing. In truth, the stone is an interdimensional resonator designed to respond to a specific signal from one of the beacons he had given the Mortals. Most likely Charles. Concerning.

Spoiler
    Show
    Jehoel will be arriving next post.

[Ikari]
    Chuck's Apartment

"Futile."

Alpha-1's good arm snaps out to catch the blade, veins erupting from its hand and arm in response to the potent Blut Vene being used by Alpha-1. Although the blade digs a deep gash into Alpha-1's palm, it is eventually halted and immobilized. Then, the AI twists its hand shatters the blade.

As Chuck tries to escape, Alpha-1 waits until his back is against the wall before hurling a torrent of knives at him. This proves to only be a distraction, because as soon as Chuck dodges, Alpha-1 appears at his side and attempts to break his leg with a brutal, stomping kick.

Road To Tokyo

"Weeeeeeell~ when you put it like that..."

Isalda Kummerow is a blur of garish color and flesh as she slides into the car, her state of dress more appropriate to the tropics than off-season Japan. She doesn't look like much; besides a complete idiot, between her pig-tailed hair and slightly vacant face. Despite all this, as she twists in her seat to get comfortable, she burns like a supernova in Yui's spiritually sensitive vision, doing nothing at all to hide her strength. Finally settling in, she smiles.

"I'm Isalda Kummerow. Nice to meet you!"

That would explain...something, at least. The so-called "Ace of the Italian Belenus" in polite conversation and "Schizophrenic Mafia B****" in its inverse, Isalda and Nikolina Kummerow were both well known PoI in the Quincy community. There had been quite a stir when they had unceremoniously abandoned their patron family for the Zerreißen Himmel. Yui may even have met her or her sister, previously, although it seems unlikely that Isalda remembers.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Orc in the Playground

(Ikari > Tokyo)

Yui calmly indicates to the driver to pull back onto the road and continue to Tokyo as she closes the sun-roof. She looks at the lone twin calmly.

"I am assuming this has something to do with the Weiswede's attempted occupation of Japan. And please don't act like that is not on your curriculum, it would insult my intelligence and information gathering. Things have been quite volatile in Europe."
    Last edited by strawberryman; 2014-03-03 at 02:38 AM.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

23. - Top - End - #203

[The Roads]
    Ikari -> Tokyo

Isalda laughs, an obnoxious, grating sound.

"Come on, are you kidding? It's not like we're being subtle about it. This is a crusade. And when it's over, Der Zerreißen Himmel Entwicklung are gonna be the only name in town. No more Shinigami. No more Hollows, mask or not. And most of all, no more of those traitorous, no-spine, collaborating Quincies that think it's alright for people to just barge into the business of us mortals, you know what I mean?"

Another aggravating laugh.

"But...if you don't want me to lie to you, I can't be expected to let you lie to me. Because, see, I was thinking. We have the home base of the Akiyama clan. A big-ol' group of Andersons comes into town and meets up with some Shinigami. The Akiyama are well known for their fanatical devotion to the Shinigami, but they aren't at the meeting. In their hometown. Which another clan came out for. Because a goon squad came and killed their leader. Well, gee. That's awful for them. Looks like the Andersons weren't really on the up and up. But here's where I'm confused. Bear with me."

Her eyes narrow into an unpleasant leer.

"We have an extra piece to our little puzzle (that's you). A big shot member of the Motos just happens to be in town right when this all goes down. And then as soon as it finishes, she leaves. Huh."

Maybe she isn't as much of an idiot as she acts. Or maybe she is, and pieced the plot together through luck. It's honestly hard to tell.

"Kaede Akiyama, well, she's a legend. The greatest Quincy alive, some people say. Well, I guess they won't anymore, but. Not only that, but she's been keeping the Quincy from going medieval on each other for years. The point is, one brute squad? I give 'em 50/50 odds against the old lady in a flat field. But she has guards. A security system. Loads of other stuff. Surprise counts for something, but they ain't got a bat's chance in hell. Unless, of course, they were just a distraction. Or had some...extra help."

She seems pretty pleased with herself.

"Still, this was pretty outta the blue. I'm just really curious: where do you get off, here? What's your stake in offin' the old lady?"
    Last edited by Dorizzit; 2014-03-03 at 03:19 AM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Orc in the Playground

(Ikari > Tokyo)

Yui adjusts her glasses slightly. "If you must ask, I was warning Kaede. My grief cannot create a pause in my otherwise busy schedule. It is not like the Akiyama clan will not know where I am, if they even have a leadership to name of anymore."

"It is regrettable that she was killed. But you are correct. Collaboration is only possible when either side has something to offer. I am somewhat of a practical woman. And it is practical to believe that if the Shinigami were capable of doing something once, they would do it again. Or attempt to. In that vein, it is our responsibility to be ruthless as stewards of this world."

"I rightly do not have an opinion as to the continued existence of the shinigami. But I do have an opinion as to cooperation with them. Nothing good can come of it. That is not to say I will decline an alliance, especially given declining it will likely lead to our extermination. However, I would speak with your leader about a few... arrangements. Consider it not us demanding terms, but setting a minimum threshold for the Moto Clan to be an efficient wing of the Zerreißen Himmel crusade."

"Take of my ambivalence what you will. But we will have our best interest at hand, and it is hardly in our best interest to be obliterated in the foolish ideal of principle. Truly you cannot say your leader would decline assistance simply because we displayed opportunism." Yui's expression is flat throughout this entire calm rant. She hasn't outright said she was responsible for Kaede's death, but it is inferred. Perhaps she just doesn't trust the girl isn't wearing a recording device.

"...For the record, the arrangements we request are control of the region of Japan when this war is over, and being allowed to absorb the survivors of the Akiyama clan, if there are any. I am sure I will be able to talk some of them out of foolish extermination. As well, I have a rather talented youth who I might recommend as a tool, if any amongst your ranks are willing to... temper her, as it were."
    Last edited by strawberryman; 2014-03-03 at 03:45 AM.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

25. - Top - End - #205
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryman View Post
    (Kuzunoha House)

Katsuo brings his knees up, resting his arms on them. "It was like... just like her. A warm voice, a... protector, I guess." He... thinks of something, pulling at a cord around his neck, revealing a rather plain bronze talisman, in the shape of a scarab.

"...she bought me this on my birthday, before she..." He looks to the side, closing his eyes. But it's not enough to hold in the tears. "...I wished more than anything that I could save her. The rest of my family... never understood me. And this... these powers just made it worse."

"...but for a moment, I felt like she was there, warning me you were in trouble."
    One of Shinji's hands comes up to his friend's shoulder to demonstrate his support. "Look, you can't blame yourself for not being able to save her. You were just a kid, weren't you? I understand what it's like to miss someone you love, but I'm sure she would want your happiness more than anything else.

I'm willing to listen if you want to talk. If you don't want to, that's okay too.

Like I said before - I think a piece of her spirit still rests with you. Possibly inside that very pendant."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

[Elsewhere in Japan]
    Apartment of Hoshi's daughter

Niklaus' choice proves to be a mistake. Mostly because the knife shatters into what looks like potent acid. It may not be strong enough to really eat through his protection, but it does prove strong enough to provoke a lot of pain.

The wall seems to disappear, only to reveal the dummy behind it. Its clothing has changed - she now looks like a cowgirl.

"Gonna give me the silent treatment, are ya? Well nobody ignores Calamity Jane and lives to tell the tale!"

She draws a pair of VERY oversized revolvers and begins shooting at Niklaus. The bullets eat right through the wall as they gun for him.
    Niklaus grimaces at the pain, but there's one thing that makes it worth it: clarity. When things start not looking like they should, it's either a case of hallucination or illusion. Of course, the distinction is hardly clear-cut as both are qualities of the subjective mind, but simplified, the former is caused by internal reasons, stemming from the mind of the victim, while the former is caused by external reasons, such as tricks of light or special arrangements.

The events around him are non-sensical, but they seem too detailed and purposeful to be results of his brain just randomly firing its neurons. It is, hence, very likely some external intelligence is guiding these sensations. No known human technology would allow for staging a show like this so quickly, so a spiritual actor is presumed.

Which means they and their means of attack are likely based on spiritual matter.

Niklaus closes his eyes and concentrates, for a moment pushing the pain out of his mind. On the material plane, nothing seems to happen, but if the interloper is using advanced spiritual senses, they can see a strange effect, like a thin, undulating mist forming around Niklaus's body. It's cause is minute amounts of Reishi being disintegrated and absorbed into the man's being at the interface of his skin. It won't help to fix his coat and shirt (provided the acid is real), but if the acid is made of Reishi, it will be burned off and used for energy by the man's body.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Orc in the Playground

Unfortunately for Niklaus, his usage of the technique does not take away from the pain of the acid. Fortunately for him, this confirms his suspicions are real, and he is therefore dealing with an illusion. All that's left is to identify its source. Depending on whether or not his acute sense of smell extends into spiritual matters, he can clearly smell the enemy's scent on himself.

Regardless, there are bullets raining down on him. They're not strong enough to pierce his Blut, but DAMN if they don't hurt like the dickens!

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

[The Void]
    ???

Jehoel shrugs.

"Simple hope is a waste. If you have the strength to hope, you have the strength to fight to see your dreams achieved. Oh, and take this. It will allow you to contact me in the future, if necessary."

His errand complete, he turns and begins his trip back. After a few moments, however, a small stone in one of his pockets begins buzzing. In truth, the stone is an interdimensional resonator designed to respond to a specific signal from one of the beacons he had given the Mortals. Most likely Charles. Concerning.

Spoiler
    Show
    Jehoel will be arriving next post.
    Anthony merely gives a tip of the imaginary hat and accepts the token given to him.

If nothing else, the Andersons should be back at their home within an hour of leaving the Kuzonoha residence.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Ikari]
    Chuck's Apartment
    "Futile."

Alpha-1's good arm snaps out to catch the blade, veins erupting from its hand and arm in response to the potent Blut Vene being used by Alpha-1. Although the blade digs a deep gash into Alpha-1's palm, it is eventually halted and immobilized. Then, the AI twists its hand shatters the blade.

As Chuck tries to escape, Alpha-1 waits until his back is against the wall before hurling a torrent of knives at him. This proves to only be a distraction, because as soon as Chuck dodges, Alpha-1 appears at his side and attempts to break his leg with a brutal, stomping kick.
    Chuck tosses the useless handle aside and draws the last Seele Schneider he has. It's enough to avoid more than a couple superficial cuts to his person.

His Blut Vene is enough that his leg doesn't shatter or suffer a compound fracture, but it nonetheless is broken as the young man gives another yell of pain.

The final SS is (likely uselessly) thrown at the Soul Sleep of the hybrid being before him, even as the Australian boy collapses to the ground and tries to crawl, with only one good arm and leg, toward the apartment door.

Somehow, he makes it several feet, though in the process his high-tech visor device is left behind him on the ground. He is left with the tattered clothes on his back, and his beloved hat, and what dregs of power his pain-addled brain can cook up.

29. - Top - End - #209

[Ikari]
    Chuck's Apartment

Alpha-1 agilely twists out of the way of the Seele Schneider, grabbing it out of the air by the handle and deactivating the blade. Moving towards Chuck, it crushes the visor underfoot before vanishing and reappearing in front of the opposing Quincy. It bends down, grabbing his shirt by the collar and lifting him from his feet. The Seele Schneider in its other hand springs into life, and it smiles horribly.

"There's one other thing you should know. I haven't been able to cut your friend out of my mind just yet, so I've been torturing poor little Tetsuhiko since we last met to entertain myself while I healed. She was begging for mercy by the end."

Alpha-1 begins to swing its blade towards Chuck, but is interrupted mid-swing as its arm simply vanishes, torn off by an unseen force. Recoiling in pain, Alpha-1 doesn't have enough time to react before Jehoel's hand plunges through its chest, impaling it. Ripping his hand out, Jehoel reappears behind Chuck and catches him with surprising gentleness as he falls.

"I apologize for my tardiness."

Creating a Garganta, Jehoel steps through to the void as Alpha-1 writhes in pain on the ground.

[Roads]
    Ikari -> Japan

"Hmm...well, if it's going to be like that...let me put you on with the boss man."

Reaching into a pocket, Isalda withdraws an advanced phone, scrolling through her contacts before finding the correct one and dialing to Hein.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

[Ikari]
    Chuck's Apartment

Alpha-1 agilely twists out of the way of the Seele Schneider, grabbing it out of the air by the handle and deactivating the blade. Moving towards Chuck, it crushes the visor underfoot before vanishing and reappearing in front of the opposing Quincy. It bends down, grabbing his shirt by the collar and lifting him from his feet. The Seele Schneider in its other hand springs into life, and it smiles horribly.

"There's one other thing you should know. I haven't been able to cut your friend out of my mind just yet, so I've been torturing poor little Tetsuhiko since we last met to entertain myself while I healed. She was begging for mercy by the end."

Alpha-1 begins to swing its blade towards Chuck, but is interrupted mid-swing as its arm simply vanishes, torn off by an unseen force. Recoiling in pain, Alpha-1 doesn't have enough time to react before Jehoel's hand plunges through its chest, impaling it. Ripping his hand out, Jehoel reappears behind Chuck and catches him with surprising gentleness as he falls.

"I apologize for my tardiness."

Creating a Garganta, Jehoel steps through to the void as Alpha-1 writhes in pain on the ground.
    <Better late than never, mate.>

Chuck is barely conscious, and thus misses his beloved hat falling to the ground of his ruined apartment (along with a few drops of blood). As Quincy boy and Arrancar man leave through a rip in space, the hat sits there, charred and battered, but intact.

Chuck himself passes out moments after making his quip. Jehoel can tell it's mostly shock and pain; he's injured, but not enough to kill or cripple him.