New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Fallen London: Hello, Delicious Playgrounders

The Starveling Cat! The Starveling Cat!
    A single forum thread can't contain that!

Welcome to Fallen London, where the Rubbery Men scurry amidst the civilized folk, and the devils linger expectantly, where death doesn't quite take, and where whispered secrets are as much of a commodity as the primordial shrieks of a forgotten time. London was dragged to the Neath (proximal to Hell, if you must know) not too long ago, and now you must figure out how to make a living.

Not to worry; between the parties, grand thievery, and recreational stabbing, there's sure to be something that appeals to you.

(thread is for discussion of the browser-based game Fallen London, since it was filling up the "Best browser games" thread.)

Playgrounders in the Neath
    Angsty Anubite: Samuel Stroh
    Artemis97: Artemis97
    CarpeGuitarrem: The Player of Games
    D20ragon: Devereaux Wyrd
    Demon 997: Acliabides
    Divayth Fyr: Szadovar
    Eldan: Doctor Eldan Blake
    Ellye: Mellye
    Eulalios: Eulalios Skilic
    firedaemon33: Firedaemon
    Freeney: Ser Freeney
    TheGeckoKing: The Stranger Man
    Grif: Grifen
    hookbill:hookbill
    Hydranova: Hydranova
    Iruka: GluestickGenius
    Jade Dragon: Hiro
    Luzahn: Martin Axton
    Maethirion: Maethirion
    Pseudo_Nym: Professor Nym
    Random_person: RandomEntity
    rweird: rweird
    TectonicRobot: TectonicRobot
    Varen_Tai: Toomey
    _volcan_: Hemlock Smith
    WinWin: Bloody Lizzie
    Wookieetank: Chubbins

Spoiler: Playgrounders Seeking Social Actions
    Show

Playing Chess:

Having Dinner:

Shadowy Lurking:

Sparring Bouts:
    Martin Axton

Spoiler: Trainers in the Playground
    Show

Watchful:
    Eldan: Doctor Eldan Blake
    Pseudo_Nym: Professor Nym

Persuasive:

Shadowy:
    CarpeGuitarrem: The Player of Games
    rweird: rweird

Dangerous:
    Luzahn: Martin Axton

Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2014-09-24 at 10:31 AM.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Fallen London: Hello, Delicious Playgrounders

As has been mentioned, I'm accepting patronages. Don't have the stat of 200 yet to make the most use of it, but I'll still take in aspiring scholars and spend actions on most social stuff, since I'm out of other stuff to do. Just no botany, please.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    As has been mentioned, I'm accepting patronages. Don't have the stat of 200 yet to make the most use of it, but I'll still take in aspiring scholars and spend actions on most social stuff, since I'm out of other stuff to do. Just no botany, please.
    Send me an offer for a Watchful patronage. I'd love to get any help there!
    Similes are like metaphors.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

That's another good idea: listing social actions we're looking for currently. (And yeah, the persistent plant is so very seldom worth it, unless you set up a scheme to take advantage of it. I've wound up just discarding the original card now.)

Varen_Tai, I'm ready to give the first Shadowy lesson, but it seems you don't have the Free Evenings necessary for it. That'll change shortly enough when Time the Healer comes around.

Eldan, you have to be at 200 in the stat and spend 5 points of Notability to gain the Person of Some Importance upgrade (I think it'd be An Extraordinary Mind for you) before you can sponsor Protégés. (That being said, I'm not remiss to helping people raise Making Waves via Private Suppers, if I can spare some. Notability is so very useful.)
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2014-02-12 at 10:59 AM.
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I've added everyone listed so far. Been working on my watchfulness myself, learning and using secrets seemed like an interesting way to go. With the exception of bitey office furniture, and the unrelenting nightmares caused by things best left unknown, its been a rather peaceable way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

By the by, Eldan, I presume you've already seen all there is to see at zee? Polythreme included? (If not, have a check over there after the Feast. It's an interesting place. Or the Iron Republic, too--that's good for an interesting jaunt or two.) Also in good news, the Final Act is coming to Fallen London, which I'm guessing means more high-level stat content and an endgame...

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    By the by, Eldan, I presume you've already seen all there is to see at zee? Polythreme included? (If not, have a check over there after the Feast. It's an interesting place. Or the Iron Republic, too--that's good for an interesting jaunt or two.) Also in good news, the Final Act is coming to Fallen London, which I'm guessing means more high-level stat content and an endgame...
    I have. Polythreme, the Islands, the Republic... would be nice if they opened some of the other locations, like the Elder Continent.

And I'm excited for the endgame. The glimpse I got during Halloween was very, very exciting.

SPAAAAAAAACE!
    Last edited by Eldan; 2014-02-12 at 12:06 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

The fabled Liberation of Night, I presume? I never did hear exactly what it was...

My own, as I recall, was rather cryptic...
    Link 1
    Link 2

I believe it was tied up with my Nemesis Ambition.

(Speaking of zee-zailing, were you aware of Sunless Sea?)

9. - Top - End - #9

The fabled Liberation of Night, I presume? I never did hear exactly what it was...

My own, as I recall, was rather cryptic...
    Link 1
    Link 2

I believe it was tied up with my Nemesis Ambition.

(Speaking of zee-zailing, were you aware of Sunless Sea?)
    Maybe? Probably? The masters took me along on their Journey to the sun.

I've read some others on the Wiki that sounded quite impressive., too. There was one where London was abandoned by the Bazaar and the player characters has to save a small group of survivors from the... Things that come after.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe? Probably? The masters took me along on their Journey to the sun.
    Oooooooooooooooh.

I've read some others on the Wiki that sounded quite impressive., too. There was one where London was abandoned by the Bazaar and the player characters has to save a small group of survivors from the... Things that come after.
    Wow. I get the feeling that the endgame is going to be filled with some very difficult decisions.

11. - Top - End - #11

You know, I hate the idea of having access to only one of these.

I could choose a branch, actually. There was an option to abandon the Masters and the Bazaar and instead fly off on my new spacebat wings to explore the universe. But that cost fate, quite a lot of it.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Heh, there's a reason that some players make alts for the game. (It's a practice that hasn't actually been discouraged by the developers. People are very open about it. They've worked at the game to ensure that there aren't cheesy alt-to-alt things you can do, generally-speaking.)

EDIT: Also, my ambition is now to raise enough interest in this thread that we can make it to Fallen London VII: (this thread title has been emptied) or some such thing. (And I'm not even an active Seeker! I just know the reputation...)
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2014-02-12 at 12:37 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Names are easy.

Fallen London I: Young when Babylon Fell
    Fallen London II: Writing down your name with its left hand
    Fallen London III: It once had five wells
    Fallen London IV: The Silver Fountain
    Fallen London V: Not Stolen
    Fallen London VI: Perhaps there won't even be one

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm mostly interested in playing some chess and keeping you awake all night with tales about my horrid nightmares.

I've also a cat to pass around and can invite someone to investigate the Affluent Photographer with me.

Listening to the tales of some drunks gives me Nightmares? Come oooon ...
    Last edited by Iruka; 2014-02-12 at 01:46 PM.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

15. - Top - End - #15

Nightmares are weird like that, yeah.

I've never had a cat sent to me. Or a Starveling Cat. I'll take it.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Varen_Tai, I'm ready to give the first Shadowy lesson, but it seems you don't have the Free Evenings necessary for it. That'll change shortly enough when Time the Healer comes around.
    Huh. I thought I had at least 1 or 2 kicking around - how many do I need?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    Listening to the tales of some drunks gives me Nightmares? Come oooon ...
    Drunks in Fallen London. You eventually become accustomed to the mind-warping tales they spin whilst their inhibitions are lowered, but...
    I've never had a cat sent to me. Or a Starveling Cat. I'll take it.
    Very good to keep in mind. I'm a bit attached to my own Starveling Cat, but if I should come across any cats in boxes, I'll start sending them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varen_Tai View Post
    Huh. I thought I had at least 1 or 2 kicking around - how many do I need?
    Oh, hm. It says it needs just one. You don't happen to have Shadowy in excess of 100, do you? It says you're ineligible because you "need qualities". (Also check to make sure that you haven't somehow failed to receive the quality "A Protégé of..." on your character. If you didn't receive that, it's worth a bug report.)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Oh, hm. It says it needs just one. You don't happen to have Shadowy in excess of 100, do you? It says you're ineligible because you "need qualities". (Also check to make sure that you haven't somehow failed to receive the quality "A Protégé of..." on your character. If you didn't receive that, it's worth a bug report.)
    I do have the "Protege of" Quality, my Shadowy before equipment bonuses (bonii?) is 89, after is 124. I also have 3 free evenings.

Any other thoughts?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

Woo, I was expecting this!

I am also on Fallen London fellow Gentlesquids, and I am Hydranova.

So, has anyone found a use for the silver coins?
    Last edited by Hydranova; 2014-02-12 at 04:00 PM. Reason: My skill with the English Language temporarily eluded me.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I do have the "Protege of" Quality, my Shadowy before equipment bonuses (bonii?) is 89, after is 124. I also have 3 free evenings.

Any other thoughts?
    That's so very strange. I think I shall file a bug report, for I cannot find my Protégé!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydranova View Post
    These are a people?

I am also on Fallen London fellow Gentlesquids, and I am Hydranova.

So, has anyone found a use for the silver coins?
    Wonderful! I've added you! (I know there's other Playgrounders, though maybe they don't post around here very much any more.)

As for the First City Coins, I believe that the Heart's Desire ambition requires them at some point.

21. - Top - End - #21

Well, I have 28 of them, so does anyone need 30 of them I can send them to when I get that many? I'm on the Nemesis Ambition myself, and busy grinding Persuasive and Shadowy so I can become important so I can buy a boat but nevermind that!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Varen_Tai: Bug report submitted; I'm also going to try grinding my Shadowy back up to 200 to see if that matters. (I took a trip to the Nadir, and so my Shadowy took a little hit.)

23. - Top - End - #23

Speaking of grinding; any tips on raising shadowy and persuasive to 100? Those aren't as important as, say, Watchful or Dangerous to Nemesis (from what I've heard), and Scandal's kind of a pain to deal with.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Ah! The Best Browser Games thread got me into this a few weeks ago, and I have to say I'm loving it.

I'm also Maethirion on that, and would love to hear from some people.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Speaking of grinding; any tips on raising shadowy and persuasive to 100? Those aren't as important as, say, Watchful or Dangerous to Nemesis (from what I've heard), and Scandal's kind of a pain to deal with.
    Actually, Scandal is one of the easiest to deal with if you have friends - social actions can reduce it for just an action. Nightmares are more of a pain since Laudanum gives Wounds as well as reducing Nightmares, and the social action requires a Sudden Insight. Wounds have to be reduced slowly through the drink of vigor (or whatever it is called) or spending 3 actions in your lodgings. I think suspicion also works like Scandal.

To answer your question, I ended up with Persuasive being my highest since I aspired to be an Author. I got there by grinding short stories and then teaching a Louche devil in Mahogany Hall.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Maethirion added!

So, I'm spoken for with regards to patronage, but someone who's capped a stat at 200 (and spent 5 points of Notability) can become a Very Significant Person of sorts, and tutor you up to 100 in that stat. You can only sponsor one person, though, as I recall.

Also, Scandal should not worry you overmuch. The Tomb-Colonies aren't that bad of a menace place, and you can even advance the Labyrinth of Tigers storyline with a visit there.

Finally, if you have a lot of Confident Smiles/Hastily-Scrawled Warning Notes, you can trade them in, 5 at a time, for stat boosts to their corresponding stat.

27. - Top - End - #27

Well, this is mostly from the perspective of someone who didn't have any contacts prior. But way I see it, you can cheaply reduce Nightmares by drinking, and then sleeping to work off the wounds AND nightmares. Suspicion at least can give you an acquaintance. Nightmares is really painful if you're going for What The Thunder said...or if you don't have really high Touched By Fingerwork, and if you do (~30 for me) you just get sent to Mirror Marches, which is more tedious than anything. But being Exiled to Tomb-Colonies! You have to...dare I say it...DONATE THINGS!

On a side note, how do you guys measure the characterization of your, well, characters?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, Scandal is one of the easiest to deal with if you have friends - social actions can reduce it for just an action. Nightmares are more of a pain since Laudanum gives Wounds as well as reducing Nightmares, and the social action requires a Sudden Insight. Wounds have to be reduced slowly through the drink of vigor (or whatever it is called) or spending 3 actions in your lodgings. I think suspicion also works like Scandal.
    Or you could just, y'know, drink a bottle or two of Laudanum and then wait a couple weeks for both your Nightmares and Wounds to go down. And in the meantime don't do things that increase Nightmares.

I am HiroProtagonest (should've checked to see if you could use spaces), since I am obviously the main character in this game. After all, I will overthrow the sun and gain power over immortality.

I'm currently trying to bag a legend, but first I need to train the mandrake. I'm gonna need a lot more Prisoner's Honey, and the option in Veilgarden that got me the stuff disappeared at some point (I'm not sure if it's because I pursued the "write about your experiences with prisoner's honey" option).

I'm also doing Spite stuff right now to raise my Shadowy. It's at fifteen base, and that's twelve points lower than my next lowest base skill.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2014-02-12 at 04:37 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

29. - Top - End - #29

And, that's added: all of the listed. Expect Calling Cards reaaaal soon!
    Last edited by Hydranova; 2014-02-12 at 04:39 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Well, this is mostly from the perspective of someone who didn't have any contacts prior. But way I see it, you can cheaply reduce Nightmares by drinking, and then sleeping to work off the wounds AND nightmares. Suspicion at least can give you an acquaintance. Nightmares is really painful if you're going for What The Thunder said...or if you don't have really high Touched By Fingerwork, and if you do (~30 for me) you just get sent to Mirror Marches, which is more tedious than anything. But being Exiled to Tomb-Colonies! You have to...dare I say it...DONATE THINGS!
    Oh, I dunno--I actually really like the Mirror Marches; I've gone there voluntarily. The text is super-cool to read through.

(I don't remember the Tomb-Colonies being that bad? Mind you, maybe they've changed since I went there last.)

On a side note, how do you guys measure the characterization of your, well, characters?
    Factions for sure, most notably who I'm Closest To. And my Profession. And my Ambition. Those are probably the three pillars that I think of for my character, with my Constant Companion coming in afterwards, but only because she was a figure from my early days in Fallen London whom I still remembered.

EDIT: Funny story, by the by, about my Second Chances--I have 406 Confident Smiles stockpiled from the days when I was scrambling for Notability to become a Correspondent. Back then, Notability decayed at 1 a week, so I was spamming Private Suppers with other Neathers just to get it up quick enough. (Thank goodness that changed now.) I'll never use all of them, and I can't give away Confident Smiles by themselves. Ah well.

Also, in case some of you aren't aware, the Feast of the Exceptional Rose will soon be upon us! It is a time of love and of mystery, of intrigue and passion, of a great rose with a toothily-endowed baby in its midst--I mean, what?

AT ANY RATE, Mrs. Plenty's Carnival will be the host to this most exceptional event, and I would advise you to give it a look. Maybe scrounge up what carnival tickets you may find.
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2014-02-12 at 04:52 PM.