New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Bottom-Up Pantheon & Setting Game

Wow. . . dragonjek, that was excellent!!

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic1110
    It is pretty good, yes (although I do wish people would slow down a bit on ascribing domains to deities who haven't been written-up yet*). Sarasa following the same title conventions as Ankorial is a nice touch, too.

If I had one criticism it would be this:
    His attempts to promote elemental magic never caught due to the popularity of seasonal magic, although the sole college that taught it is still standing, despite the very low number of new students.
    Elemental magic does not exist in the setting in the first place, and I don't really see a need for it to be introduced. Especially when by introducing it you're presenting it as being better than the two other types you mention in the previous sentences, both of which seem astronomically more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonjek View Post
    Hi! I hope you don’t mind, but I had some ideas of my own I’d like to stick in.
    Don't mind at all. Fresh faces are welcome.
    How do pregnancies between two gods of different tiers work out? Are the number of domains based upon the least powerful parent?
    Yes.
    Also, Vestryxis is the daughter son of Maglor and Gure, and it says Gure got him to get her pregnant by making it the wager on a game of senate. But Maglor is barely more than an animal—board games seem wildly out of character.
    Yes, that does seem unusual doesn't it? Maybe there's more to Maglor than meets the eye, or maybe there was something else going on? After all, how exactly Vestryxis fathered three kids despite his condition is a bit of a mystery as well.

(seriously though, the reason it's there is that Maglor didn't have a character until after Gure was written-up, and I suspect the detail got overlooked. Similar to how you seem to have overlooked Jidzi Al'Betta, the goddess of writing, when you were writing about this 'Kakuaya' person ).

I'll try and have another god up soon-ish. And try and update the list of unwritten gods.

*one of the advantages of that list of unwritten names is that it gives people an easy way to tie a new deity concept into the overarching family tree. If you start attaching domains to them, you are making that a lot harder (and removing it completely in the case of Monreons).

To give you an example of what I mean, imagine if Jendekit's write-up of Tezcacoatl had included the following sentence: "Tezcacoatl also has a long lasting friendship with Miae, the god of foxes."
    Those thirteen words would have killed Dragonjek's entire write-up of Miae - and probably screwed with his write-up of Sarasa to boot.
    Last edited by Mx.Silver; 2014-06-05 at 01:40 PM.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Orc in the Playground

Here's another member of the Anahuac, and the first Tetreon of them.

Ixtli, the Sunstone Shark of Blood

Appearance: Ixtli, as her name suggests, takes the form of a shark made out of sunstone. While she is more than capable of altering her shape within those limits, her favored form is that of a hammerhead the size of the oldest of dragons. Her fins and underside are constantly surrounded by her personal helpers: the Mirossa, which appear as remoras with arms instead of front fins.

Domains: Blood, Tracking, War, Riddles

Parents: Ixtli as well as her direct siblings were the first intentional children of the Primordial Pentreon Elith'yern. The exact process in which the mad god used to create the four siblings remains unknown even to the Anahuac themselves. What is known is that shortly after the death of Elith'yern, the four siblings made their first public appearance to the other gods and declared that they sought no quarrel with the rest of the gods, and simply requested a place to call their own and to be forever afterwards left alone.

While many were skeptical of the motives of the siblings, especially when Krythe was discovered to be pregnant in the midst of deliberations, Orilus (at the advice of Dokrastes) eventually decided to grant the siblings a sanctum in the Astral Plane.

Personality: Ixtli, despite her status as a goddess of war and blood, has a very playful personality. Though she is the mightiest warrior amongst the Anahuac, a fact that she proved time and time again in the Everson War, she would much rather spend time creating and solving riddles.

Relationships: Ixtli is one of the more outgoing of the Anahuac. She has regular "play dates" with Mualth, frequently spars with Galnarian, and playing riddle games with a large number of deities. One of her most surprising relationships is with Myfe. Though the surly bodyguard of Dokrastes refuses to let the daughter of Elith'yern by to see Dokrastes, the two frequently engage in month long riddle games. When asked, Myfe simply responds that it is a form of training in multitasking, though some question whether or not that is the truth.

Amongst the mortals of the Anahuac, offerings to her are made once every five years. One volunteer out of the entire empire is given a special poison, and once the poison takes effect, the volunteer is fed to the sharks kept within the Huey Teocalli, the massive temple at the heart of their capital city.

Ixtli is also well known to mortals outside of the Anahuac, and not just as a war goddess that demands human sacrifice. The kingdom of Verson worshiped her as the patron of riddles before their fall that marked the beginning of the Everson War, and many of their ruins are protected to this day by wards that require solving riddles that she first came up with.

Sanctum: Ixtli, like the rest of her direct family, live within the Temple Palace on the Astral Plane.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mystic1110 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    It is pretty good, yes (although I do wish people would slow down a bit on ascribing domains to deities who haven't been written-up yet*). Sarasa following the same title conventions as Ankorial is a nice touch, too.
    Elemental magic does not exist in the setting in the first place, and I don't really see a need for it to be introduced. Especially when by introducing it you're presenting it as being better than the two other types you mention in the previous sentences, both of which seem astronomically more interesting.
    Thank you!

I apologize for the bit with elemental magic--I knew seasonal magic took its place, but I hadn't understood that elemental magic was gone entirely. Thank you (although I would point out that I only said that elemental magic had been more successful--that doesn't necessarily mean it's better. I think it wouldn't take much to get a culture to abandon their maggots and flies to go chase after some form of magic less disgusting (such as absolutely anything else)).

I've replaced it with star-ice, and have changed mentions of Kakuaya and Hebedrax so that I'm not explicitly stating their domains. I replaced mention of Oleadaf with a generic unnamed deity.

(seriously though, the reason it's there is that Maglor didn't have a character until after Gure was written-up, and I suspect the detail got overlooked. Similar to how you seem to have overlooked Jidzi Al'Betta, the goddess of writing, when you were writing about this 'Kakuaya' person ).
    I didn't exactly forget her insomuch as I forgot what she was the goddess of--I thought she had dominion over words. That said, considering that Smalin's seven daughters are supposed to be paragons of art, I do think a deity of prose belongs there... and the muse-equivalents already cross over onto a number of different domains. By the time Latha and Lathu are born, their older sisters had already created and mastered every form of art. We have a number of gods who also rule over a facet of art, though--Jagyn sculpts, Is'Killas builds architecture, Irilvis gardens, and if we're calling love an art then Mualth has the Art of War.

Still, it would be best to avoid overlap if possible... how about a goddess of homebrewing storytelling?

(Also, Jendekit--thank you for adding Miae and Sarasa to the deity list so quickly.)

5. - Top - End - #185
    Orc in the Playground

Also, Jendekit--thank you for adding Miae and Sarasa to the deity list so quickly.
    You're welcome, and here's another Anahuac deity.

Tlalli, the Emerald Hare of Blood

Appearance: Tlalli takes the form of a hare composed entirely of emerald, and unlike most of his kin he prefers to remain in the size of the animal that he resembles.

Domain: Fertility

Parents: Mazatl the Onyx Doe of Blood, Yaotl the Amber Alligator of Blood, and Yolotli the Amethyst Bee of Blood

Personality: Tlalli is a very skittish god, much like the animal he resembles. He is terrified of being around other gods, and as such spends most of his time away from divine company and on Teraste. On Teraste he tends to favor rural communities to spend a year or two in before moving on. His reasoning for favoring rural communities is twofold. Firstly he suffers from hemophobia (fear of blood) and demophobia (fear of crowds) and simply being in a community larger than a village is enough to make him have a panic attack, and secondly his mere presence causes crops to grow and the animals and people become more fertile. A village that hosts Tlalli for one year will harvest enough excess to last five years of famine.

Relationships: Tlalli, despite his Monreon ranking, is one of the most widely worshiped of the Anahuac gods due to his constant presence amongst his chosen peoples on Teraste. His presence amongst the rural communities, most of which are farming communities, means that the Anahuac peoples easily grow enough food to feed their growing populations.

Amongst his family, Tlalli is looked upon with pity due to his crippling phobias, he is unable to receive the same offerings as the rest of his family and simply being at a complete family gathering is enough to cause him to lash out in sheer terror. Only in numbers of five or less can they spend any time with him.

Gods outside of the Anahuac know little about the Emerald Hare, and that is how he prefers it. His existence and title are known, but that is all that the gods (outside of the deities of information or knowledge) could say about him.

Sanctum: Tlalli, unlike the rest of his kin, spends very little time in the Temple Palace, and instead wanders the Anahuac countryside on Teraste.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Name: Vioad, The Speech Weaver.

Appearance: Vioad resembles a fairly small, bald humanoid female with opal skin and five red eyes. She has a second pair of arms where her legs should be, and primarily moves around through the use of two pairs of clear, insect-like wings that grow from her back, which give off a soft buzzing sound as they beat. She dresses mostly in loose, silken garments.

Domains: Language, Translation

Personality: Vioad is generally a rather friendly goddess, although her hyperactive nature can be a little off-putting. She tends to talk to speak very quickly, and gives off the general impression of being rather flustered when removed from her main topic of interest: mortal speech. Other topics seldom hold her interest for too long and, while she would not dream of trying to impose herself too much, she inevitably starts getting fidgety if she feels she is being kept away from her work and hobby.

Relationships: Vioad is a god of linguists and especially translators, of which there is a fair deal of demand throughout the realms. Teraste alone contains dozens of active languages and hundreds of dialects, while Wybirne is not far behind. Even amongst races with much strict language habits, such as the Ixith, language barriers will inevitably arise, and as such she tends to have a few prayers thrown her way by anyone looking to conduct business of negotiations between different cultures. She is also one of the few deities to be worshipped by Dragons, thanks to her involvement in the creation of Low Draconic - a dragon language that could be spoken fairly easily by non-dragon races, which quickly became the lingua franca throughout much of Teraste during the time of the Dragon Imperium. Although its usage has declined in the centuries following the empire's collapse, it still remains a reasonably common tongue in the mortal realm - although it is practically extinct in the other planes.

Gods, who speak the divine All-Tongue innately, have much less use for her, although those deities dealing with writing, books and the word based arts can expect to have her drop-in on them - frequently unannounced - whenever she needs their help, wants there input, or has something she wants to tell them. Although these visits are not always entirely welcome - Jidzi Al'Betta, who tends to receive the brunt of them views Vioad in much the same way she used to view sudden downpours back when she was mortal - few bear her much ill-will. Irilvis and Sarasa have often found her fairly useful.
    Her status as one of the founding members of The Lords of Light has gone some way to ensuring her generally positive reputation, although it has proven a bit of a barrier in her attempts to enlist some of the Demon Gods to assist in her (largely futile) efforts at establishing some sort of grammatical understanding of the demonic tongue, Pandemonian. Nor has it done much to curb Lithus' resentment of her inability to correct the connotations of her domain.

Parents: Ardiasd and Cadorilum

Sanctum: The Silken Tower, a spire in the astral plane, within which she can usually be found buzzing around. Almost all rooms are covered with various scrolls, books and tapestries in a variety of languages. The tower also has extensive cellars, within which she keeps codices of various extinct mortal tongues, on the off-chance they will be needed at some future date.

Up next: Dallakar, along with the long-delayed description of demons.

I apologize for the bit with elemental magic--I knew seasonal magic took its place, but I hadn't understood that elemental magic was gone entirely.
    No worries, it's a fairly small note on one of the earlier pages. Quite easy to overlook.

I didn't exactly forget her insomuch as I forgot what she was the goddess of--I thought she had dominion over words. That said, considering that Smalin's seven daughters are supposed to be paragons of art, I do think a deity of prose belongs there... and the muse-equivalents already cross over onto a number of different domains. By the time Latha and Lathu are born, their older sisters had already created and mastered every form of art. We have a number of gods who also rule over a facet of art, though--Jagyn sculpts, Ix'Killas builds architecture, Irilvis gardens, and if we're calling love an art then Mualth has the Art of War.
    Overlap isn't really a problem, I just thought it was a bit amusing.

And now, because it isn't on this page yet:

Spoiler: The List of Unwritten Deities
    Show

• Orilus
      - 5 Domains
      - Deceased
      - Parent of Doskrates; involved in creation of Malladar; was Thuxdatog's host.
      - Primordial Pentreon

• Ellims
      - Abdicated divinity
      - 5 domains
      - Primordial Pentreon
      - Sponsored Yitus
      - Parent of Myfe (with Tomenatras)

• Eth
      - 5 domains
      - mother of Maglor (with Elith'yern)

• Ix
      - 5 Domains
      - Primordial Pentreon
      - Head of the Divine Royalty

• Saliol
      - 4 or more domains
      - Parent of Laeyrd (with Recisoldex) and Asio (with Sarasa)

• Papilsi
      - 4 or more domains
      - Parent of Federatisto (with Fisylaka), Mualth (with Maglor)
      - Deceased, killed by Maglor

• Fisylaka
      - 4 or more domains
      - Parent of Federatisto (with Papilsi)

• Ulumie
      - 4 or more domains
      - Parent of Ardiasd (with Maglor)

• Eithiana
      - 4 domains
      - Parent of Yuyevris (with Thyxlaog) and Thasara (with Federatisto)

• Ix'Naranth
      - 4 domains
      - Parent of Ix'Killas and Ix'Belfia (with Ix'Teshal)
      - Member of the Divine Royalty

• Xedat
      - 4 domains
      - Parent of Unabri (with Cadorilum)

• Cadorilum
      - 4 domains
      - Parent of Unabri (with Xedat) and Vioad (with Ardiasd)

• Miuar
      - 3 or more domains
      - Parent of Recisoldex (with Yuyevris)

• Etrioc
      - 3 or more domains
      - Fought at battle of Fallen Stars (against Cassabiel)
      - Father of Amulird and Aanulyynn (both with Vakparellna)

• Ix'Belfia
      - 3 domains
      - Parent of Ix'Obynxis and Ix'Jilan (with Ix'Killas) and Eridel (with Kiarare)
      - Member of the Divine Royalty

• Liluar
      - 3 domains
      - Mother of Nilunea, Dallakar and Venilach (with Vestryxis)
      - Daughter of Azmoros
      - Demon God

• Icnoyotl
      - 3 or more domains
      - Parent of Mazatl (with Necali and Tezcacoatl)

• Necali
      - 3 or more domains
      - Parent of Mazatl (with Icnoyotl and Tezcacoatl)

• Altiox
      - 3 or more Domains
      - Parent of Niyloh (with Unabri)

• Itotia
      - 3 or more domains
      - Parent of Tezcacoatl (with Ixtli and Coyotl)

• Coyotl
      - 3 or more domains
      - Parent of Tezcacoatl (with Itotia and Ixtli)

• Eztli
      - 2 or more domains
      - parent of Coaxoch

• Yolotli
      - 2 or more domains
      - parent of Coaxoch

• Grix'nil
      - 2 or more domains
      - Parent of Pernalicus (with Niyloh)

• Venilach
      - 1 domain
      - Brother of Nilunea and Dallakar; son of Liluar and Vestryxis
      - Demon God

• Esu, The Lord of Secrets
      - 1 domain
      - Child of Ordog

• Djavulen, Maiden of the Dark
      - 1 Domain
      - Child of Ordog

• Ibliisku, Lord of Lies
      -1 domain
      -Child of Ordog

• Byrahn
      - 1 domain (beginnings)
      - Child of Miae
      - Lover of Ix'Belfia

• Oleadaf
      - Any domains
      - Sponsored Yitus

• Myzyl
      - Any Domains
      - Matron of Harpies

• Valeth
      - Fewer than 5 domains
      - Deceased
      - God of Flowers

Last edited by Mx.Silver; 2014-06-15 at 11:49 AM.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Name: Dallakar, The Thoughtful One

Appearance: Dallakar is shorter and stockier than his two siblings, Nilunea and Venilach, and might even seem dwarven in appearance were it not for his double-jointed limbs, his two dragon-like horns and his monkey's tail. His robes, ash grey in colour, are of a shorter cut than most and are tied close at the wrists, leaving his long, six fingered hands unencumbered. His face, by contrast, is hidden behind a bronze fox-featured mask.
    Despite his form, his voice is soft and high-pitched, with an almost musical quality to it.

Domain: Hubris

Personality: If one were to sum-up Dallakar in one word, that word would be inquisitive. The demon god's curiosity is notorious, and he seems constantly driven by a desire to occupy his considerable intellect. He enjoys nothing more than taking things apart to see how they work, and spends large amounts of time conducting various tests - or more commonly making his various demon servants conduct them for him - with an almost child-like abandon.
    Despite his inclinations, he is not particularly disciplined. As a consequence he usually has a large number of projects 'on the go' and bounces between them as his moods take him. There is usually little shortage of these, as his abstract problem-solving skills are quite valuable to the clan, although most of his relatives tend not to enjoy spending too much time in his company, as his rambling, unending digressions on whatever seems to have grabbed his attention at the time - to the exclusion of all else - and his rather blatant disregard for the 'inefficiency' of polite conversation can be difficult to endure. Unusually for a demon god, he seems to have little tolerance for dishonesty.

Relationships: Dallakar seldom leaves Mezzethera, and has very little contact with the gods outside of his immediate family. Similarly, his only interactions with mortals are when he plumps the depths of the Sea of Nightmares looking for an interesting mind to consult with, which is rarely. According to legend, the Orcish dream-walker Magrum Brighteyes once managed to contact the demon god for assistance in solving some of Ixtli's riddles, but mortal appeals such as these are very rare.
    The overwhelming majority of Dallakar's interactions are with demons.

Demon society is, as one might expect, a rather chaotic construction, as befits a race that varies so wildly in appearance. An individual demon can look physically like pretty much any humanoid race in existence, whether large and burly like an orc, multi-armed and tall like an Ixith, or finned like a merfolk. Some demons lack humanoid status altogether, instead having the forms of an animal or beast. Most demon forms are simply a mishmash of various 'sources', often with little regard for overall cohesion. Hence it is not uncommon to see a demon with a lithe, elven body with large draconic wings sprouting from its back, webbed hands, and a pheasant's tail (although most demons seem to prefer mammals and reptiles as inspiration for tails). The colouration of a demon's skin/hair/scales/feathers can be pretty much any colour the demon chooses, and may frequently change as the demon grows bored. Most demons adopt a sex and/or gender, which the usually stick to - although this is by no means universal.

Demons do however have one common feature. Regardless of whatever shape the demon has, or what shape said form's skull should normally be, the demon's face is always a polished black mask. There are no visible eyes or mouth behind the mask, and attempts to remove it will prove pointless. The mask is the demon's face. The features of said mask are set in an expression that reflects the demon's primary emotion - regardless of what emotion the demon may actually be experiencing at any moment.
    The other main commonality demons possess is their longevity. Demons are formed out of the plane of Mezzethera, demon blood itself being just especially concentrated dream-water, and as such possess remarkable regenerative abilities. Demons can recover from, if not outright ignore, injuries that would cripple most mortals. Even lost limbs can be regrown if the demon submerges themselves in the waters of Mezzethera for a time. In the instances where a demon does finally die their body will evaporate, carrying their essence back to the depths of Mezzethera. There the essence will coalesce into a new form, and wash up of the the plane's surface, thereby reincarnating the demon.

The reincarnation process is notoriously arbitrary, the only real certainty being that the new incarnation will have a different primary emotion. How much the demon's form or personality resembles the previous incarnation, what it's new primary emotion will be, or even how much of it's previous lives the demon remembers, varies wildly.
    Dallakar is the one entity who seems to have some real understanding of the phenomenon. He has spent most of his life studying the reincarnation process and claims to have identified over a thousand different influencing factors. That at least is the explanation he gives for whenever his predictions fail. Nonetheless, even if he isn't always accurate his knowledge is more than sufficient for the purposes of the demons and as such he is frequently petitioned for assistance in matters relating to reincarnation. The biggest such issue is that of inheritance between incarnations, whether concerning 'fishing rights' over mortal dreams or valuable items from other planes. The latter of which are in particular demand among demon society since, unlike objects made from dream ice or flow stone, they remain permanent, rather than degrading/disintegrating when not being actively kept in mind.
    Dallakar does not seem to mind this attention, and has even taken on a few demons as assistants, to whom he imparts some of his expertise. These positions are not without risk, Dallakar treats their holders as much as test subject as he does disciples, but there is seldom a shortage of demons willing to fill them.

Parents: Liluar and Vestryxis

Sanctum: Dallakar, along with his siblings and their father, lives in The Flowstone Keep, which floats upon the Sea of Nightmares on the Plane of Mezzethera. He is technically the keep's custodian and architect, and as such most of the castle technically falls under his command. Of course, since the Flowstone Keep will alter itself based on the desires of its occupants - sometimes growing additional floors or entire wings, much to the constant confusion of it's non divine visitors - the exact percentage of it he controls tends to vary a great deal.

Up next: Djavulen, with a chance of ruining elves.
    Last edited by Mx.Silver; 2014-06-15 at 11:50 AM.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Orc in the Playground

Mr. Silver...the write up for Dallakar is amazing. And just in time, my players have been asking me what the demons are like in this setting as I have used demon god cultists in Jagylvan once but have avoided using actual demons. I can finally answer their questions when they inevitably ask them come the 21st.

Banahthar, the Rip Walker

Appearance: Banahthar most typically takes the form of a human man that is sleight of stature and black of hair. His face continually reminds people of his favored animal, the elk, and his mouth is ever curved into an amused smirk. His garb is always of middle-ranking of the locale of which he is in, never the garb of nobility or peasants but instead in between.

Domains: Magic, Planar Travel, and Trickery

Parents: Banahthar was born to Dokrastes before the death of Orilus, and indeed the goddess was "born" pregnant with him, much to the surprise of Orilus.

Personality: Banahthar is a god that delights in playing various tricks on the other gods, often with the intent of resulting in public humiliation. For some time, he remained unpunished due to the fact that he was the only god that was capable of traveling to other planes without traveling through the Keystone first. Many suspected that this was somehow tied into the fact that his mother was responsible for keeping the planes separate. However, not long after the death of Orilus and Dokrastes' rise in divine ranking, Banahthar took it upon himself to make sure that his mother's newly gained power did not go to her head. He chose to do so by teaching the secrets of planar travel to the oldest mortal race in all the planes: the trolls of Wybirne.

The trolls went on a colonization surge unlike anything ever seen before or since. Led by Mage-Priests that would forcefully create portals to allow their numbers to march onto extraplanar lands where they established cities unlike any that can be seen today, reaching into the skies and advancing the bounds of magic and the possibilities of enchantment. Dokrastes was furious. One by one every troll settlement larger than a village outside of the Wybirne was destroyed by the pentreon, and Banahthar was banished from the Astral Plane and the Keystone. While her son accepted the punishment, it was now impossible for him to physically or spiritually enter either place thus leaving him little choice, both found that there was an unexpected side effect of the trolls use of planar travel.

Whereas before the only way to travel between planes was through the Keystone, and now it was possible for mages to travel directly from one plane to another, rifts from one plane to another would occasionally open. Through these rifts, it was possible to hop from one plane to another. The stability of these rifts varied; some would remain open for but a moment whereas others, such as the Frozen Gate, opened and remain open to this day. Though many have tried, mages both divine and mortal have failed to artificially create a stable rift.

Relationships: Banahthar is despised by a few and disliked by many. Dokrastes still has not forgiven him for teaching the magic of planar travel, and Ilymar blames him for the presence of the Frozen Gate in Ithilien lands. Most gods dislike him due to the pranks that he plays with themselves as the victims, and he has never seen the need to apologize to try to mend feelings of his victims. Amongst mortal races he is little known. Mages know of him as the one to first teach the magics of planar travel and falsely believe that all rifts are his creation.

Sanctum: Banahthar spends most of his time living in various mortal cities, be they on Teraste, Wybirne, or Alumaria. He has no permanent sanctum, instead choosing to live among mortals.
    Last edited by Jendekit; 2014-06-14 at 06:40 PM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Orc in the Playground

I got to thinking, with the thread now at 7 pages, should we start composing a "Book of Legends" as it were? Either here or on a new thread have a collection of the various legends about the gods that the various mortal races tell, like the battle between Galnarian and Thyxlaog, or of the possession of Ix'Teshal by Tomenetras. We would start out by transferring the legends and myths that we have on this thread, and could possibly even add some at a later point.

Thoughts?

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

I don't think we need another thread - but it would be helpful if we came up with a list of known events - and descriptions thus far.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Orc in the Playground

Here's a new god unrelated to any others...also bump.

Ngaru Mate, the Wave that Harkens Death

Appearance: Ngaru Mate takes the form of an elongated, serpentine shark with scales as black as the darkest void and eyes a glowing, poison green.

Domain: Persistence

Parents: Bilyaro and Yennas

Personality: Ngaru Mate is a simple individual, in personality, tastes, and mind. Lacking the intellect to utilize complex strategies, he has one strategy that has worked throughout his life: bite the problem until it stops being a problem. While hunting he will track a single prey for days if need be, regardless of how hungry he grows or if it would make more sense to go after a different prey that would be less trouble.

Relationships: Ever a loner, Ngaru Mate prefers his own company and reluctantly permits the presence of the remora imps that swarm his body to feed on the parasites that cling to his hide. Combined with the fact that he never leaves the deep oceans of Teraste, many gods and most mortals are unaware of his existence.

Sanctum: Ngaru Mate lives within the Smoke Stack Castle in the deepest ocean trench on Teraste where no light beyond that generated by its inhabitants has ever touched.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Orc in the Playground

Bilyaro, the Grey Seed of the Past

Appearance: Bilyaro appears as a grey daisy in a small floating chunk of land consisting of white worms and black cogs, the cogs slowly rotate as time goes on.

Domains: Past, Beginnings

Parents: Sologoth, Mnoltox

Personality: Bilyaro tends to stick to the sidelines, and is more passive than anything. They overlook their children every so often, and overlook temporal backflows that happen in Teraste. The ideology that they take on is "Time heals all wounds". To the day of their conception, they have overseen many major events in time, including the birth of many deities.

Relationships: Bilyaro doesn't speak much to the other gods, and as a result, only have small ties with their immediate family, including their parents, son, and spouse. Yennas tends to them, keeping their cogs oiled and the worms feed, and as a result, grown a bond between the two.

Sanctum: Bilyaro resides in the Everturning Cogs.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh crap, I'd forgotten this thread. Sorry, I got distracted with some other projects. I'll try to post something more fairly soon.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Name: Djavulen, Maiden of the Dark

Appearance: Djavulen appears vaguely elven in form, albeit with slightly skewed proportions. The faintly exaggerated thinness of her waist; the slightly too long neck; the faintly blue tinge to her hair; her form seems more like a stylised image of an elf than one of flesh and blood. Perhaps not coincidentally, the very few images of her that date back prior to the fall of the Dragon Imperium paint her as being rather more human-like in appearance. Said images also usually show her in plain, unremarkable clothes - a far cry from the flowing, ostentatious dresses and numerous pieces of jewelery (mostly jet) that she is never seen without in more modern times. The only real consistent image is that of her hand mirror of polished onyx, which serves as her symbol.

Domain: Necromancy

Personality: Djavulen is an impressionable, somewhat naive deity - very much prone to daydreaming and fantasizing. Despite her general wallflower-like personality and somewhat limited social ability, she seems to feel a strong desire for attention and recognition, and responds well to flattery. Since her rise to prominence following the War of the Ashen Citadel, she has begun to assume airs and affectations that she considers befit her newfound status, and seems obstinately oblivious to any of the more sarcastic responses these draw.

Relationships: Necromancy has not historically been a very popular style of magic, largely being the purview of those who wished to consult with spirits of the dead who weren't tied to a particular deity - not a terribly large or interesting group at the best of times. Even after the Battle of Fallen Stars, and Ankorial's decision to have her angels ignore any loose specters and undead on Teraste, more severe necromancy still remained a fairly rare, and difficult, practice. As a result, for much of her early life Djavulen was mostly ignored by mortals, and seldom given much more consideration by other deities. Within her immediate family she was generally overlooked. Her only real interactions being sporadic contact with Lerreline, should a mortal actually attempt a major act of necromancy, and some correspondence with her 'cousins' amongst the demon gods.

Then the Dragon Imperium fell. The elves, who had fought hard to throw-off draconic rule, found themselves with a problem. With their military strength still diminished from their centuries of occupation and the losses from the revolutionary wars, they were suddenly at risk from both the rapidly ascendant Lizardfolk and the threat of a second 'Human Plague'. The question on the minds of their leaders was how to retain their newly regained independence. According to legend the idea of necromancy was suggested, but not taken particularly seriously, save by one: the Inaaruthil, the Magister of the Ashen Citadel.
    At a good deal of personal expense, and some risk, Inaaruthil made the planar journey to Subere in person to beseech the Maiden of the Dark for assistance. Djavulen, impressed by the magister's effort (and his flattering words) agreed, and began searching to find some way of increasing the ease at which spirits could be bound and corpses reanimated. After fruitless searching of the Black Library's shelves, she sent a message to Mezzathera, asking whether Dallakar could perhaps come up with a new method. The Thoughtful One responded that he could indeed, and had in fact toyed with the subject in the past as part of his research into the mechanics of demonic reincarnation.
    Thus armed, and after a further consultation with Lerreline, Djavulen presented the Magister with what would later become known as the Elven Curses.

The first sign any of the other races saw of this came ten years later, when forces of the Jiashani Dominion attacked the Inaaruthil's own lands. The resulting five months of attrition, dubbed the War of the Ashen Citadel, proved to be the first major failed conquest by the Dominion since the end of the Dragon Wars, as the human advance was ground to a halt by wave upon wave of walking corpses, most of them former slaves, supported by the shock squads of bound ghosts.
    The long term effects of the war were two-fold. First, it established the model of the 'Curse Army', which the elven military forces would go on to use to devastating effect in later centuries. Second, it brought a significant change of circumstance for Djavulen.

Almost overnight, the goddess found herself the second most prominent deity in elven culture, exceed in status solely by the elven god-queen Aanulyynn. The Iron Tyrant is not known for sharing power, but it seems that after having met Djavulen, she decided the goddess lacked the capability to become a real threat, and seems content to tolerate her for as long as her domain remains useful to the empire. Djavuln, for her part, seems rather over-awed by the elven goddess, and doesn't seem quite aware of exactly what sort of regard the latter holds her.
    The rise of necromancy has not done much to endear Djavulen to the notoriously undead-opposed Yuyevris, although the sun goddess seems more angry with Ankorial for allowing this to happen in the first place. Said rise has also attracted some concern from Sarasa, who has begun keeping a closer eye on elven magics in general and Djavulen in particular.

Parents: Ordog and an unknown mortal woman

Sanctum: Djavulen lives with her father and her siblings in The Black Library on the plane of Subere.