New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Banned

Default Re: Fairy Tail Thread 3: Demon-ex Machinus

Lucy. Lisanna and Natsu flirted as children, and he felt bad when she died...but there hasn't really been any romantic tension between them at all since she returned.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosArchon View Post
    Lisanna and Natsu or Lucy and Natsu?
    Lisanna and Lucy. They convince Yukino to pose as Lisanna so Natsu's none the wiser.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Lisanna and Lucy. They convince Yukino to pose as Lisanna so Natsu's none the wiser.
    Still a better love story than NaLu
    Lu'ciel, First Age Sorcerer-King of the Unconquered Sun avatar by linkele. many thanks to the person

Extended List of Games I'm in or GM'ing

My homebrew setting: Raeus

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Lucy. Lisanna and Natsu flirted as children, and he felt bad when she died...but there hasn't really been any romantic tension between them at all since she returned.
    Uh, I'm pretty sure Lisanna has shown attraction once in a while. Not that I really care but the thing is... Natsu is kind of a six year old in a teenager's body. Or at least he hardly ever if at all has shown anything you'd call a libido or something like that. Lucy values Natsu as a friend, mostly, while Lisanna still seems infatuated by him (though I think Natsu has shown some signs of feelings towards her but I think more siblingly?)
    Anyway, I don't care, honestly, but I'm willing to believe Hiro will go the usual route of romance and hook up the main male and main female...
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

5. - Top - End - #275
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: new chapter
    Show
    Wow. Great chapter. I hope Juvia goes ballistic on this necromancer's ass.

Anyway, disregarding the Cana fanservice on the cover (if you say I can't I reject your reality and substitute my own), this chapter had it all. Drama, believable storytelling, the works. I especially loved the interaction between silver and Gray. It was great.
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, that cover had me... Hiro, if you want to draw hentai, go draw hentai.

Otherwise, it was pretty good. I'm still kind of... recently I have a hard time appreciating when Hiro does good. Too often he just does weird stuff. Or maybe I'm still hung up on the stupid Deliora fake reveal.
    I do not quite understand how this necromancy works, considering Silver has free will but the others are only puppets? I guess maybe because he is also a demon. I'd argue about how the demons were stupid enough to accept him as one of their own... Or how he went around killing demons when we never heard of it. Or why Gray being alive makes him wan to die instead of, I don't know, work even harder for the sake of his son?

Ah, I'm just complaining for the sake of it, really It was a good chapter.
    "What's done is done."

7. - Top - End - #277
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Otherwise, it was pretty good. I'm still kind of... recently I have a hard time appreciating when Hiro does good. Too often he just does weird stuff. Or maybe I'm still hung up on the stupid Deliora fake reveal.
    I do not quite understand how this necromancy works, considering Silver has free will but the others are only puppets? I guess maybe because he is also a demon. I'd argue about how the demons were stupid enough to accept him as one of their own... Or how he went around killing demons when we never heard of it. Or why Gray being alive makes him wan to die instead of, I don't know, work even harder for the sake of his son?

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, I think his death wish is because of him seeing Gray being alive, kicking and doing great things has shown him that he (Silver) has tried to be the vengeful hero long enough to see himself become the villain. Becoming the thing he so hated. So, for Gray to kill him would be to grant him his leave. His final rest. Which he can achieve now that he has seen Gray and knows ray is doing just the thing he always wanted, making sure the Demons get what's coming to them. I think it's a beautiful and tragic end.
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

8. - Top - End - #278
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm more concerned by why he has telekinesis. Because...he just sort of does here.

At any rate, this is a good chapter. I...the necromancer's name is Keith though. That's really lame, honestly. And since he's all dusty and stuff from what we've seen, Juvia will be his hard counter.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ettin in the Playground

Called it. Necromancer dude did it

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

10. - Top - End - #280

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    Called it. Necromancer dude did it
    Come on now, we know his name. It's Keith.

The horrific lichlord necromancer, Keith.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm more concerned by why he has telekinesis. Because...he just sort of does here.

At any rate, this is a good chapter. I...the necromancer's name is Keith though. That's really lame, honestly. And since he's all dusty and stuff from what we've seen, Juvia will be his hard counter.
    Spoiler
    Show

I guess you mean telepathy but yeah, totally forgot about that... Maybe he uses the cnnection between Gray and Juvia and speaks through his heart?

While, yeah, it kind of takes away from him but in Hiro's defense, Keith in japanese is likely a much less common name than in English. If he was named Hans or Dieter the joke would be on us Germans... Heh, "the terrifying destroyer of the universe... Helmut". Wow, I'm really glad German's don't try to write epic fiction, typical German names totally don't work this way. (Okay, those names are becoming less and less common)
    "What's done is done."

12. - Top - End - #282

Spoiler
    Show

I guess you mean telepathy but yeah, totally forgot about that... Maybe he uses the cnnection between Gray and Juvia and speaks through his heart?

While, yeah, it kind of takes away from him but in Hiro's defense, Keith in japanese is likely a much less common name than in English. If he was named Hans or Dieter the joke would be on us Germans... Heh, "the terrifying destroyer of the universe... Helmut". Wow, I'm really glad German's don't try to write epic fiction, typical German names totally don't work this way. (Okay, those names are becoming less and less common)
    Spoiler
    Show
    True, that makes sense. But still, he's Keith the Necromancer. That should sound silly to anyone.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    True, that makes sense. But still, he's Keith the Necromancer. That should sound silly to anyone.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2014-07-17 at 01:29 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I take it you are familiar with the saga of Siegfried, or as it is known: Die Ring des Nibelungen//Nibelungenlied (many others exist, just do a google search)? Germans have written epics. Whether it's fiction I leave up to you.
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    I take it you are familiar with the saga of Siegfried, or as it is known: Die Ring des Nibelungen//Nibelungenlied (many others exist, just do a google search)? Germans have written epics. Whether it's fiction I leave up to you.
    Well, sufficiently (as in I know the general story) but while Siegfried works fine enough, though some other names in the story at least to me feel weird. I was more referring to modern works which most often concern themselves either with more daily stories or take fantastic settings and thus not-German names. If I read a story about "Ernst" trying to save the world from "Heinrich", the evil necromancer, while fighting for the love of "Gisela" I would be unable to take the story serious. But maybe that's just me. And I guess that's part of the reason why I prefer English works.
    "What's done is done."

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Come on now, we know his name. It's Keith.

The horrific lichlord necromancer, Keith.
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2014-07-17 at 06:24 PM.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

ohh wow.. new episode out.. Fairy tail Zero.

Did not expect this.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

18. - Top - End - #288

Well, sufficiently (as in I know the general story) but while Siegfried works fine enough, though some other names in the story at least to me feel weird. I was more referring to modern works which most often concern themselves either with more daily stories or take fantastic settings and thus not-German names. If I read a story about "Ernst" trying to save the world from "Heinrich", the evil necromancer, while fighting for the love of "Gisela" I would be unable to take the story serious. But maybe that's just me. And I guess that's part of the reason why I prefer English works.
    More likely then you think.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Probably the same reason he randomly has ice magic. I guess there's no real reason he couldn't learn telepathy. It's certainly a useful skill. It actually makes sense for wizards to learn a variety of useful skills instead of focusing on one thing to the exclusion of all others like most do in Fairy Tail.

Honestly this entire scenario is way too coincidental for me to really buy. Random necromancer just happens to raise Gray's father, who just happens to learn ice magic, and just happens to end up fighting Gray. Gray should buy a lottery ticket after this.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2014-07-17 at 09:49 PM.

20. - Top - End - #290

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Probably the same reason he randomly has ice magic. I guess there's no real reason he couldn't learn telepathy. It's certainly a useful skill. It actually makes sense for wizards to learn a variety of useful skills instead of focusing on one thing to the exclusion of all others like most do in Fairy Tail.

Honestly this entire scenario is way too coincidental for me to really buy. Random necromancer just happens to raise Gray's father, who just happens to learn ice magic, and just happens to end up fighting Gray. Gray should buy a lottery ticket after this.
    Spoiler
    Show

I sort of figured Silver took up ice magic after seeing what his son had become, so he could do this whole convoluted test of character thing. Also, I don't think it's TOO coincidental for Keith to have discovered Silver's body. If I was a necromancer, I'd keep an eye or ear out for any disaster or monster attack that destroys a village, and go see what I can..."harvest", I suppose. It seems prudent.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, apparently he didn't know his son was alive until he saw him in the tournament...that's a really fast time to learn and master ice magic to a level that is arguably even higher than Gray's.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

There is actually a good reason for why Silver would decide to lean ice magic, it were after all the type of magic that defeated Deliora, there is no way thats not going to leave a solid impression on him.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post

Did not expect this.
    Zero is airing? I thought it didn't come out until the 25th of thie month or something...
    Lu'ciel, First Age Sorcerer-King of the Unconquered Sun avatar by linkele. many thanks to the person

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

Zero is airing? I thought it didn't come out until the 25th of thie month or something...
    The place where i read manga had the first chapter, it seems to take place in the past.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    I guess you refer to the manga chapter, not an anime episode?

Spoiler: FT Zero and Ice Fairy
    Show

So, we got two new manga from the FT-verse...
    Zero.. started of pretty weird. Putting aside the horrible guild which apparently existed on Tenryu island, what was that pointless scene with the other girl about? Mavis being so forgiving and caring even if you treat her like a ***** she'll still be nice to you? Okay...
    Otherwise I guess I AM curious what will happen.

And for Gray's origin story... Your magic can speed up the time inside an egg... What kind of weirdly specific magic is that? And how does it make the Chronos guys the strongest in the world? Under ANY circumstances?
    Also, Nano Leaf, really? I'd rather take Keith the Necromancer.

Wait, the Ernest movies are meant to be taken serious

I'd say we still know way too little about how you learn magic, as in, if you are predestined to have a certain magic by your genes (e.g. Lucy and her mum being Celestial Mages would imply Silver and Gray both have a tendency to be Ice Mages) or if you just pick and choose and most mages specialize like this because it is more efficient than just learning a bunch of skills... But if anyone could learn telepathy on the side I don't see why people do not. I guess we'll get some poor excuse why Silver can do this but let's wait...
    "What's done is done."

26. - Top - End - #296
    Troll in the Playground

There is a simple answer to why he knows different kinds of magic... Mary Sue But seriously I assume we haven't met Silver in the anime because I don't remember seeing him yet as of Natsu and co. meeting the Fiore executions in the hell prion. Also I'm assuming hell prison is the literal translation and not what it actually is? Because it sounds like the typical badly translated name that you normally see in some subs when words don't quite match up.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I'd say we still know way too little about how you learn magic, as in, if you are predestined to have a certain magic by your genes (e.g. Lucy and her mum being Celestial Mages would imply Silver and Gray both have a tendency to be Ice Mages) or if you just pick and choose and most mages specialize like this because it is more efficient than just learning a bunch of skills... But if anyone could learn telepathy on the side I don't see why people do not. I guess we'll get some poor excuse why Silver can do this but let's wait...
    Spoiler: pointless (probably incorrect) speculation
    Show

mages probably have an innate affinity for certain magic(s), and learn those magic(s) easier than others, they're also drawn to powerful mages that use those magic(s), to try and learn from them, or even vise versa, powerful mages are drawn to potential students

if that's correct, then the mages might not realise this, so they think they just happened upon mages that use a certain kind of magic, and learnt from them, when in reality they were drawn to that person because of the magic they used

assuming that i'm still correct, then the affinity for magic might run in families, being passed from parent to child

but, not all people act upon the urges to seek out a teacher, since silver didn't learn ice magic until after deliora (iirc). Or, the urges might not appear in a person until they're "needed", so silver's urges weren't "needed" until after the deliora/reanimation incident

and, some mages, might have an affinity for more than one kind of magic, or can learn magic other than ones they have an affinity for. But these cases are exceedingly rare, silver could be one such case, he either has a "secondary" affinity for telepathy, or he learnt telepathy without having an affinity for it

and as far as i can recall silver is the only mage who has two different kinds of magic, so he might even be unique, or, more likely, i have a faulty memory

y'know, coming up with headcanon like that is actually kinda fun, even if i'm wrong, i could use it for a book in the future or something, and if i'm right, then i totally called it (i'm probably wrong)
    elemental avatar by kaariane

extended signature

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chaotic stupid View Post
    and as far as i can recall silver is the only mage who has two different kinds of magic, so he might even be unique, or, more likely, i have a faulty memory
    Quite a few mages have shown an affinity for several types of magic, actually. It's not common, probably for the same reason that you don't see a lot of Olympic swimmers who are also Olympic biathletes, but it's around. Off the top of my head:

*) Waaay back in the early arcs, the rich jerk that Natsu and Lucy stole the book from used both a drilling magic to explode around the house, and Celestial Magic to summon Virgo.
    *) Macao primarily uses purple flame magic, but is also a skilled transformation magic user
    *) Mirajane is a master of Demon Soul magic, but she can also use basic illusions to appear to be other people or project images, and can cast a sleep spell too.
    *) Laxus is a thunder dragon slayer, but can create thought projections of himself, and also learned to cast Fairy Law.
    *) Makarov is mainly a size-changer and a light-conjurer, and has used low-level elemental spells and requip, and can block and shut down other people's spells - plus he has Fairy Law, of course.
    *) Doranbolt used teleportation magic and memory-altering magic at a skilled level
    *) Ultear uses a half-dozen magic types with significant skill - she's an ice mage, a time mage, she telekinetically controls her sphere while also time magicking it, she transforms herself to look like other people frequently, she can do the projection trick Laxus uses, and she mind-controlled Jellal that one time somehow.
    *) Jellal has, like, a gajillion different forms of magic that he uses on a regular basis.

*EDIT* It's almost exclusively the older generations of mages who regularly use multiple magic styles, probably to have a quick shorthand to show them being experienced, without their skill in one magical field being so high that it eclipses what the main cast can do.
    Last edited by Friv; 2014-07-18 at 08:26 AM.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    Spoiler: somehow i forgot all of these?
    Show
    Quite a few mages have shown an affinity for several types of magic, actually. It's not common, probably for the same reason that you don't see a lot of Olympic swimmers who are also Olympic biathletes, but it's around. Off the top of my head:

*) Waaay back in the early arcs, the rich jerk that Natsu and Lucy stole the book from used both a drilling magic to explode around the house, and Celestial Magic to summon Virgo.
    *) Macao primarily uses purple flame magic, but is also a skilled transformation magic user
    *) Mirajane is a master of Demon Soul magic, but she can also use basic illusions to appear to be other people or project images, and can cast a sleep spell too.
    *) Laxus is a thunder dragon slayer, but can create thought projections of himself, and also learned to cast Fairy Law.
    *) Makarov is mainly a size-changer and a light-conjurer, and has used low-level elemental spells and requip, and can block and shut down other people's spells - plus he has Fairy Law, of course.
    *) Doranbolt used teleportation magic and memory-altering magic at a skilled level
    *) Ultear uses a half-dozen magic types with significant skill - she's an ice mage, a time mage, she telekinetically controls her sphere while also time magicking it, she transforms herself to look like other people frequently, she can do the projection trick Laxus uses, and she mind-controlled Jellal that one time somehow.
    *) Jellal has, like, a gajillion different forms of magic that he uses on a regular basis.

*EDIT* It's almost exclusively the older generations of mages who regularly use multiple magic styles, probably to have a quick shorthand to show them being experienced, without their skill in one magical field being so high that it eclipses what the main cast can do.
    does mirajane use illusions to look like other people? i might be mis-remembering but i always assumed it was another use of the shapeshifting powers (i can't believe i forgot what it's called) that her and her siblings have
    and i assume that there are big, powerful spells that anyone with enough magic can learn (such as the three great magics of fairy tail)
    and to me ultear just seemed like a mary sue at times

y'know, i could probably work all of those into my speculation some how (magic that anyone can use, some people with affinities for massive amounts of magic, people with no affinities who can learn any magic they want, etc), but it was just some nonsense i came up with literally 30 minutes ago, so i see no point in trying
    elemental avatar by kaariane

extended signature

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

and i assume that there are big, powerful spells that anyone with enough magic can learn (such as the three great magics of fairy tail)
    and to me ultear just seemed like a mary sue at times
    I really wish people stop confusing being powerful with actually being a Mary Sue, because its not like Urtear are perfect in any way, instead regularly screwing things up and suffering from the results.

Fairy Tail Zero
    Spoiler
    Show
    Else, that were certainly an unexpectedly high bodycount we had there, and its kinda interesting to see the first generation of FT mages, though it once more makes me sad Hiro decided to kill of Hades, imo he were the so far best villain we have had in the serie.