New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Fairy Tail Thread 3: Demon-ex Machinus

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    well, Lucy has to actually use magic power to summon and maintain those summons. As far as we know that's not the case of Erza's magic, and she also has no "gold key" comparison.

You're right, though.
    When Erza summoned her "secon origin armor" they said that are some years since anyone could use that, and the council representive were shocked seeing here donning that armor, because it consume a massive ammount of magic power... so, it seems like ex-quipping an armor actually consume magic power.
    I'm from Italy. So,sorry for my bad English!

Thanks A LOT to Nevitan for the fantastic Avatar!

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Who didn't?
    But im pretty sure i got there first

When Erza summoned her "secon origin armor" they said that are some years since anyone could use that, and the council representive were shocked seeing here donning that armor, because it consume a massive ammount of magic power... so, it seems like ex-quipping an armor actually consume magic power.
    Actually.. i kinda suspect its more wearing the armor that consumes a ton of magic power to fuel its abilities, that would both explain why she isnt wearing it normally, and why it would surprise the council to see someone in it.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

3. - Top - End - #153
    Colossus in the Playground

Oh man this chapter.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hey look, isntead of killing the demons the Spirit King could only free all the Fairy Tail members. AND THEN HE VANISHED. BECAUSE LUCY WENT UNCONCIOUS. Just like I said he would.

I suppose that since the other characters are free you can safely say this isn't a failed sacrifice of the Aquarius key, but still. Would of preferred Lucy to kill Mard Gear and end this arc.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Spoiler: New Chapter
    Show
    So is Mard Gear actually dead? Or just turned to stone or whatever else it could be?

Think I'll put my money on not dead but stuck then at the end of the Arc Zeref is going to shatter him

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    But im pretty sure i got there first
    Oh seriously, it was so obvious I had to consciously fight against accepting it as true... Hiro could have put some more effort into it, really. Gosh, this is getting me as agitated as others were by the DS team match.

Oh man this chapter.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hey look, isntead of killing the demons the Spirit King could only free all the Fairy Tail members. AND THEN HE VANISHED. BECAUSE LUCY WENT UNCONCIOUS. Just like I said he would.

I suppose that since the other characters are free you can safely say this isn't a failed sacrifice of the Aquarius key, but still. Would of preferred Lucy to kill Mard Gear and end this arc.
    Spoiler
    Show

Well, as I noted, he could have probably killed them... and the Fairies along with them. Seems this was the smarter thing to do. Also, it would have been a worse way to end the arc, I think, just having the Spirit King take out all the demons.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    Show
    So is Mard Gear actually dead? Or just turned to stone or whatever else it could be?
    It would be pretty anticlimactic for him to lose like that... I guess he'll be back soon.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    Show

Think I'll put my money on not dead but stuck then at the end of the Arc Zeref is going to shatter him
    I seriously doubt it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Greer seems to be the main villain of this arc. There's no way he's going to be done in that easily.

My guess is that one of two things is going to happen:

1) He's been trapped just long enough for the other demons to be defeated without him. Then he'll break out and the real fight is going to happen.

2) He was killed, but he has his own secret test-tube-revival-thing hidden somewhere else.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Not quite, he didnt vanish after Lucy went down like you said he would, instead he got weakend and chose to blow his remaining strenght off on a huge final attack that both resqued all of FT and put Mard out of the game.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

The anime's back? Cool, I'll have to look for updates.

Regarding Erza: I seem to recall early on in the anime when they first started explaining her powers, it was explained that what makes her unique is that she can do it far, far, FAR faster then anyone else, meaning there's no one out there who can change gears in a fight as quick as she can, and she can store a lot more armors and weapons then anyone else.

And then in the tower of heaven she's shown to have a particular affinity for using magic to enhance and manipulate objects when she first uses magic.

So, in her case, it's probably more accurate to compare her to a top marksman. Sure, better guns and ammo and accessories can help and help a lot and that skill is totally useless with out any guns or ammo, but the skill is still highly important to have cause with out that even with all the best equipment your not gonna preform well at all.
    "I Burn!"

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    So, I come to this thread with a request.

Does anyone know of a master list of Erza's armors they can point me at? I just need names and the gist of what they actually do for her.

And I don't mean the joke one's she had in some of the filler eps.

Reason: I've taken it into my head to run a build with more or less her powers and fighting style in an up coming mutants and masterminds game I'm applying too, but when I looked her up on atomic think tank, they only had some of her armors listed and stated and the entry point blank says this isn't all her armors or even close to all. (I might also have to tweak a couple of the ability's, for example I don't think Giant armor only boosts her strenght while lifting, and I think the assorted summoned weapons she has work better as a damage power with a lot of variant effects to reflect differences in fighting style. But I digress. )

Anyway, if anyone has/or knows of such a list, it would be very helpful, thanks!

Oh, one final note: It's ok if the list happens to cut off at say the time skip or the tornament arc or were the anime cuts or something like that. =)

Speaking of thea anime: Are we just waiting on a new season on that? Seemed to have stopped updating more recently.

And also from earlier in the thread, Levi and Lucy have both used the magic speed reading glasses.
    There is also this link, it's a bit more detailed (including powers and effects).

As for the current chapter, I (finally) agree with you LaZodiac...
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

10. - Top - End - #160
    Banned

Oh man this chapter.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    She beat several enemies and freed the entire guild. Stop being negative for the sake of being negative.

11. - Top - End - #161

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    She beat several enemies and freed the entire guild. Stop being negative for the sake of being negative.
    I'm not being negative for the sake of negative. I just think it'd be cooler if she actually...you know, won the arc, not just a fight against a mid tier enemy.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Banned

Well if she did it would be completely unbelievable, as well as terrible story telling, so I'm ok with the way it went.

Besides, she technically was quite instrumental in winning the arc. They would have lost without her.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2014-05-31 at 09:55 PM.

13. - Top - End - #163

She sacrificed her best friend and strongest key to SUMMON A GOD. He decimated the big cube monster thing they where on, free'd everyone, and...then did nothing. Technically be beat Jackal since he was knocked out from this. That's a bit of a let down.

Having...literally a GOD beat all these demons, with the power of Lucy's sacrifice (which would hopefully be permanent) would be good writing.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

She sacrificed her best friend and strongest key to SUMMON A GOD. He decimated the big cube monster thing they where on, free'd everyone, and...then did nothing. Technically be beat Jackal since he was knocked out from this. That's a bit of a let down.
    I would certainly not call it her most effective Key though, that title i hope everyone would agree on belongs to Loki.
    And i also think God is to much said, he were certainly the ultimate spirit, with a power level that makes you think of people like Hades or Arcnologia, but he were not able to snap his fingers to make everything better.

And he sliced the cubebeast into peaces, resqued every single one of Lucy's friends from captivity, and turned the strongest enemy on the field to stone.
    Thats a pretty good deal for someone whose every other altenative started with being tortured to death.

Having...literally a GOD beat all these demons, with the power of Lucy's sacrifice (which would hopefully be permanent) would be good writing.
    And no, having the Spirit King suddenly appear and stomp all these demons into the ground would have been a Deus Ex Machina, and bad storytelling.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

She sacrificed her best friend and strongest key to SUMMON A GOD.
    Wait, when did Lucy kill Levi? Eh, the bit about Aquarius and Lucy being close... I guess it all boils down to how much you like tsundere characters...

I don't know... I think I'll have to agree with khaine, even if you make a sacrifice to summon god, to solve your problems it's still not that good writing in my opinion. It's better than god showing up just because to save you but it still seems too easy.

I would certainly not call it her most effective Key though, that title i hope everyone would agree on belongs to Loki.
    Arguable. Aquarius is often protrayed as really damn powerful, given there is water around and Loki while having his own special set of skills might not be able to keep up with her raw attack power.

And i also think God is to much said, he were certainly the ultimate spirit, with a power level that makes you think of people like Hades or Arcnologia, but he were not able to snap his fingers to make everything better.
    That really is more the problem between THE judeo-christian deity and other deities.. you don't have to be all powerful to be a god. I'm sure he was described at the God King of the Celestial Realm, however that works. (I guess he rules by his own divine right. Pretty sweet deal for him, really)
    "What's done is done."

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Arguable. Aquarius is often protrayed as really damn powerful, given there is water around and Loki while having his own special set of skills might not be able to keep up with her raw attack power.
    And thats why i carefully used the word effektive instead of powerfull

17. - Top - End - #167

And thats why i carefully used the word effektive instead of powerfull
    Which is also why I used the word powerful. Aquarius isn't her more effective summon since if I recall it requires water to be around, and Aquarius herself is kind of a massive jerk. But she is clearly the most powerful summon she's got, in terms of sheer power.

I can see why it'd be a Deus EX Machina, I just feel that it's not because...it sort of makes sense, and most Deus EX Machina don't make sense, or too "easy", I suppose is the term. A Deus EX Machina would be like...I don't know, I can't think of an example of one

Also, I have no reason to assume the reason Mard Gear turned into stone is because of the Celestial King. I figured it was just Mard Gear activating a sort of slumber mode to recharge himself after fighting a God.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Which is also why I used the word powerful. Aquarius isn't her more effective summon since if I recall it requires water to be around, and Aquarius herself is kind of a massive jerk. But she is clearly the most powerful summon she's got, in terms of sheer power.
    Well.. it requires lots of nearby water, cant be used anywhere near friendly targets and doesnt even seem that far above Loki in combat power.

I can see why it'd be a Deus EX Machina, I just feel that it's not because...it sort of makes sense, and most Deus EX Machina don't make sense, or too "easy", I suppose is the term. A Deus EX Machina would be like...I don't know, I can't think of an example of one
    Would be like.. an previous unknown off Celestrial being decending from the heavens, killing all the demons and saving Fairy tail?

Also, I have no reason to assume the reason Mard Gear turned into stone is because of the Celestial King. I figured it was just Mard Gear activating a sort of slumber mode to recharge himself after fighting a God.
    Well.. he certainly seems kinda shocked at page 14, and his comment of "Do you actually think you can stop Mard Geer" does hint at the Spirit King having done something to actually stop or seal off the bastard for the time being.

19. - Top - End - #169

Would be like.. an previous unknown off Celestrial being decending from the heavens, killing all the demons and saving Fairy tail?

Well.. he certainly seems kinda shocked at page 14, and his comment of "Do you actually think you can stop Mard Geer" does hint at the Spirit King having done something to actually stop or seal off the bastard for the time being.
    Well no, we've heard of him before, and he was hyped up to be this super powerful guy who said he hoped to be summoned by Lucy one day, if she could handle the cost.

But, you have reminded me of a Deus EX Machina. Mavis Beacon, the founder of the Fairy Tail guild, who showed up to prevent everyone from getting Apocolypse Dragon'd.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

But, you have reminded me of a Deus EX Machina. Mavis Beacon, the founder of the Fairy Tail guild, who showed up to prevent everyone from getting Apocolypse Dragon'd.
    I think they hinted at her earlier in the arc? But yeah, that was more or less a Deus Ex moment... Or if Norio would have just appeared without any action from Lucy's side, that would have been quite a literal Deus Ex moment.

In regard to Mard Geer... (gosh, why do I detest that name so much? ) I felt like he was pretty laid back during the fight so I guess it would be weird if he really was that exhausted he'd need to rest? But that's more random guessing than anything else.
    "What's done is done."

21. - Top - End - #171
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Well no, we've heard of him before, and he was hyped up to be this super powerful guy who said he hoped to be summoned by Lucy one day, if she could handle the cost.

Wow she did that AND Teaches Typing?

Mavis Vermillion's dragon shield thing was slightly foreshadowed by Makarov praying at her grave earlier to "protect his brats" or something along those lines. I'd still consider it a Deus Ex, but after the Fairy Glitter showed she could still grant legendary spells it wasn't totally out of nowhere.
    Last edited by turbo164; 2014-06-01 at 06:03 PM.

22. - Top - End - #172

Quote Originally Posted by turbo164 View Post
    Wow she did that AND Teaches Typing?

Mavis Vermillion's dragon shield thing was slightly foreshadowed by Makarov praying at her grave earlier to "protect his brats" or something along those lines. I'd still consider it a Deus Ex, but after the Fairy Glitter showed she could still grant legendary spells it wasn't totally out of nowhere.
    It was a joke

The problem is that we had no idea who she was until a few chapters after it happened, so it left us wondering who it was. I doubt anyone went "oh, that's Mavis the leader of the guild in ghost form helping them through beyond the grave magic because she's that strong!"

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

I just kinda shrugged it off cause hey, the Island was already kinda weird, we didn't know all the special Fairy Magics or how they worked what they did and by that point it was hardly impossible that Someone there knew one that combined well enough with the island to pull that effect.

Finding out it was Mavis was "Ok, that's interesting."
    "I Burn!"

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

No that was totally a deus ex machina. There are a lot of them in Fairy Tale. With the worst one being the NPC being saved from lava by the clock guy.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

25. - Top - End - #175

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    No that was totally a deus ex machina. There are a lot of them in Fairy Tale. With the worst one being the NPC being saved from lava by the clock guy.
    No the worst was Ultear knowing the ultimate time rewind spell that sacrifices her life to save everyone, but ensures she dies in the process OH WAIT NO SHE'S ALIVE AS AN OLD LADY.

#still angry

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

No.. that was not a Deus ex machina, the npc were irrellevant for the story, and them being saved just meant the story remained more kid friendly.

No the worst was Ultear knowing the ultimate time rewind spell that sacrifices her life to save everyone, but ensures she dies in the process OH WAIT NO SHE'S ALIVE AS AN OLD LADY.

#still angry
    And that was not a Deus Ex Machina either, Urtears ability to manipulate time had already been established, and we had directly been told her final goal were to rewind her entire timeline, restarting her life on a happier path.

But her stated goal were to rewind time so far back that world were not overrun by dragons, and she failed in doing so, only just managing to get a few minuttes worth of time. And since she failed in casting the spell then i really dont see any issue in that she only sacrifices her youth and majority of life for it.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Not really a Deus Ex, Holundrum did so earlier when he saved Wendy from Hades... I guess if you go back and accept it can do that... It's not great ut meh. Arcadios not eff-ing dying by being submerged in lava is not a DE either, just stupidity on either not knowing or not caring about what lava does to a human body. (Coincidentally, the anime kind of tried to explain it by way of an amulet he was wearing protecting him. (At least I don't think they ever noted that in the manga. It kind of helps... "Magic" is better than "power of will")

#still angry
    Also, while stupid, not a Deus Ex.

Not that it makes FT's writing at points better, but there aren't that many Deus Ex moments in the story.
    "What's done is done."

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

No.. that was not a Deus ex machina, the npc were irrellevant for the story, and them being saved just meant the story remained more kid friendly.
    It's totally a Deus Ex Machina, just not an important one. Also I remember when I was a kid my books and stuff had tons of death and gore in it. Kids can handle that sort of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Not really a Deus Ex, Holundrum did so earlier when he saved Wendy from Hades... I guess if you go back and accept it can do that... It's not great ut meh. Arcadios not eff-ing dying by being submerged in lava is not a DE either, just stupidity on either not knowing or not caring about what lava does to a human body. (Coincidentally, the anime kind of tried to explain it by way of an amulet he was wearing protecting him. (At least I don't think they ever noted that in the manga. It kind of helps... "Magic" is better than "power of will")
    Two things,

1. I believe Lucy still had her keys when he saved Wendy. Not he literally comes out of nowhere to do so.

2. Dude was already walking in the lava! What the frig happened to that damage? Seriously, just having your legs immersed in lava could kill an ordinary person. He went from complete immersion to somehow having taken zero damage at all. Clock Dude negates attacks, not reverses them.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

I guess it kind of boils down to what you consider a "Deus Ex Machina" event. If anything nonsensical that happens is a DEM, then, sure, you can call pretty much anything you can't explain (and I guess which has a positive result?) a DEM.
    However, I think the more narrow definition requires there to be some particular "plot item" to cause the event...
    Going back, I realize there actually was a one panel mention of the amulet protecting him even in the manga. Color me surprised. So I guess I have to admit it as a Deus Ex Machina... However, without it, with Arcadios surviving the lava just because Hiro doesn't care about physics, it's just stupid and without any explanation at all.
    The case of Ultear is somewhat similar... One can argue about the problem of the spell being never used and probably hardly well known at all, so its precise effect was up more or less to guesswork. Considering that, I'd be willing to let it slide as not a "kills user" but "steals time of the user" technique. If we'd seen it used before and then it killed the user but Ultear miraculously survived because ???? then it would be a clearer case.
    "What's done is done."

30. - Top - End - #180

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Also, while stupid, not a Deus Ex.

Not that it makes FT's writing at points better, but there aren't that many Deus Ex moments in the story.
    I know it's not a Deus Ex Machina I'm just still very angry that she's alive. I'd argue that her being ALIVE is the Deus Ex Machina, but...eh. It was just a joke because I'm still genuinely annoyed by it