New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Dark Souls II: The Thread, Not the Game

Finally got Queelag.
    Well, Mildred dealt the killing blow, and I spent the end of the fight pelting her with Soul Arrows, but she's dead and I've rung the bell, now to...
    Wait a moment:
    Spoiler
    Show
    That gold-clad jerk killed my firekeeper! I can't access the Firelink! Anor Londo, eh? It's murder time.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

2. - Top - End - #272
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

May the force be with you.
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I often kick that bastard off the cliff where he sits just to save the Fire Keeper's life.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Barbarian in the Playground

Since the whole thing is a spoiler and there are spoilers inside this spoiler and some people might not want to read what we've posted, I'll leave you a bunny to look at instead.

( \ _ / )
    =( '.' )=
    (..)_(..)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos 51-50 View Post
    Finally got Queelag.
    Well, Mildred dealt the killing blow, and I spent the end of the fight pelting her with Soul Arrows, but she's dead and I've rung the bell, now to...
    Wait a moment:
    Spoiler
    Show
    That gold-clad jerk killed my firekeeper! I can't access the Firelink! Anor Londo, eh? It's murder time.
    Good luck. The only time I had an easy battle with him was when I was an archer and picked him off at range. That fight is a very difficult one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I often kick that bastard off the cliff where he sits just to save the Fire Keeper's life.
    She's better off if you don't. Though she says she was never meant to be "restored" she's the only character I know of who gets murdered and leaves a method of retribution against the one who did it. So, secretly, I'm pretty sure she's ok with getting her tongue and leg-movement back.

Plus killing him that way doesn't net you the Embraced set. Which I like personally. Not that it's anything special.
    Like RPGs? Like free stuff? Check out RPG-a-Month by Archfossil! Every month a new game and additional content and updates for the games already active.

RPG-a-Month for May : ACE - Assault, Control, Espionage

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Octopusapult View Post
    Since the whole thing is a spoiler and there are spoilers inside this spoiler and some people might not want to read what we've posted, I'll leave you a bunny to look at instead.

( \ _ / )
    =( '.' )=
    (..)_(..)

Spoiler
    Show

Good luck. The only time I had an easy battle with him was when I was an archer and picked him off at range. That fight is a very difficult one.

~~~
    Sorry for the Spoilers! This little plot twist was actually spoiled by my brother in advance, and I wanted to let it actually happen! I know it'd have a bigger impact on me if it wasn't spoiled!

Spoiler
    Show
    The difficulty of the fight is irrelevant. Unlike others, where I'm driven by my desire to achieve the nebulous goal of "Beat Dark Souls", this guy has pissed me off. I desire Revenge. It shall be Mine. The Power of Rage shall sustain me for this fight.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Killing Lautrec early on is tempting because of the Ring of Favour and Protection, which is a staple for most characters - more health, endurance and carry load is useful for everyone. Still, attacking him and his buddies as a vengeful spirit and kicking his ass instead is very satisfying.

In other news, Dark Souls 2 is available for pre-order on Steam, and it looks like it'll be available on 25th of April. I'd get it, but 50 Euro is a... hefty price.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    In other news, Dark Souls 2 is available for pre-order on Steam, and it looks like it'll be available on 25th of April. I'd get it, but 50 Euro is a... hefty price.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTnDES39-6c

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ettin in the Playground

Huh. That's weird. I Work at a major retail store. I have copies of Dark Souls 2 in the back room marked for Tuesday.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

It comes out next week for consoles. 25th of April is the PC release date.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ettin in the Playground

I feel like an idiot, then.
    Should have figured that one out on my own.

I'm probably not going to consider a purchase until after I finish Dark Souls Original Flavour, and I've just made it to Sen's fortress, so it'll be a while.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

11. - Top - End - #281

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealistik View Post

Sorry for the Spoilers! This little plot twist was actually spoiled by my brother in advance, and I wanted to let it actually happen! I know it'd have a bigger impact on me if it wasn't spoiled!

Spoiler
    Show
    The difficulty of the fight is irrelevant. Unlike others, where I'm driven by my desire to achieve the nebulous goal of "Beat Dark Souls", this guy has pissed me off. I desire Revenge. It shall be Mine. The Power of Rage shall sustain me for this fight.
    Or make you angrier. XD

I feel like an idiot, then.
    Should have figured that one out on my own.

I'm probably not going to consider a purchase until after I finish Dark Souls Original Flavour, and I've just made it to Sen's fortress, so it'll be a while.
    I've watched so many speedruns that Sen's Fortress is a joke to me at this point. I once waited at the start for a fog door back to the undead burg just to see if I could run to the golem before the invader connected. And I made it. It's probably one of the shortest areas in Dark Souls, it just seems longer because there's a lot of "distraction" paths you can take. A direct route is pretty swift though.

And as far as challenging areas in Dark Souls go, Sen's Fortress is the precursor to the real suckfest that is Anor Londo.
    Like RPGs? Like free stuff? Check out RPG-a-Month by Archfossil! Every month a new game and additional content and updates for the games already active.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't mean Sen's Fortress will take a while, I mean "I have about 12 hours of playtime on this character and I've only just now completed the beginning part of the game."
    Last edited by Thanatos 51-50; 2014-03-08 at 05:39 PM.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

13. - Top - End - #283
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Killing Lautrec early on is tempting because of the Ring of Favour and Protection, which is a staple for most characters - more health, endurance and carry load is useful for everyone. Still, attacking him and his buddies as a vengeful spirit and kicking his ass instead is very satisfying.

I used some trickery to buy it at American price. Which is like a 30% discount over our Europrices. It does help.

This is why I like shops like GOG and Humble. Worldwide prices are best prices.
    Last edited by Drascin; 2014-03-08 at 06:00 PM.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

I wish my laptop could handle Dark Souls 2 well, but I know it won't. It's not a desktop and I won't pretend it is. I'm probably going to get it for the PS3.
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    I used some trickery to buy it at American price. Which is like a 30% discount over our Europrices. It does help.

This is why I like shops like GOG and Humble. Worldwide prices are best prices.
    I heard India has the best price. They can't afford most games, so the prices are lower there.

Not that I really care. I live in the US, so I benefit on how large this market is. A crap ton of stuff is either developed or sent here. Europe gets some stuff before we do, though. *shakes fist*

4 days or something. Amazon is getting mine to me the day after, which is a day off for me.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2014-03-08 at 08:36 PM.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

16. - Top - End - #286

Quote Originally Posted by Octopusapult View Post

I've watched so many speedruns that Sen's Fortress is a joke to me at this point. I once waited at the start for a fog door back to the undead burg just to see if I could run to the golem before the invader connected. And I made it. It's probably one of the shortest areas in Dark Souls, it just seems longer because there's a lot of "distraction" paths you can take. A direct route is pretty swift though.

And as far as challenging areas in Dark Souls go, Sen's Fortress is the precursor to the real suckfest that is Anor Londo.
    Seconding this. Sen''s is a simple matter to finish, but an awful maze the first time yoou run through it.

I like Anor Londo a lot, though that actually feels shorter in some ways because it's broken into bite-size chunks.
    Spoiler: Anor Londo
    Show

1) Kill Gargoyle
    2) Chapel rafters, 3/4 enemies
    3) Gargoyle 2
    4) Cathedral exterior with a grand total of 7 enemies you need to care about, mainly challenging because of the Dragonslayer Bow knights
    5) Cathedral interior (3 knights at most using a direct path)
    6) Boss hall and Biggie and Smalls (Only O&S can't be easily dodged around
    So the whole area only requires you to kill 16 enemies and the boss.
    This Minase Iori avatar is a masterwork by Qwernt

DS Friend Code for Pokemon Trades and such. 1549 7971 5718

17. - Top - End - #287

Quote Originally Posted by Selpharia View Post
    Seconding this. Sen''s is a simple matter to finish, but an awful maze the first time yoou run through it.

I like Anor Londo a lot, though that actually feels shorter in some ways because it's broken into bite-size chunks.
    Show

1) Kill Gargoyle
    2) Chapel rafters, 3/4 enemies
    3) Gargoyle 2
    4) Cathedral exterior with a grand total of 7 enemies you need to care about, mainly challenging because of the Dragonslayer Bow knights
    5) Cathedral interior (3 knights at most using a direct path)
    6) Boss hall and Biggie and Smalls (Only O&S can't be easily dodged around
    So the whole area only requires you to kill 16 enemies and the boss.
    Anor Londo isn't much worse, but the common enemies are nastier and the boss at the end is as well.

The primary difference to me in what makes Anor Londo so much more difficult is the popularity of invasions during the interior. It's right behind the Forest and Oolacile on the hardest places to get through thanks to invaders.

WHICH I LOVE ABOUT THE GAME SO DON'T EVEN START.
    you know who you are.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I had a couple of odd Anor Londo invasions this week that fully demonstrated to me why I want the AI to notice phantom invaders.

Show
    The first came as I was navigating the cathedral rafters. I was absolutely loaded down with souls from Sen's Fortress, trying to make it to the Giant Blacksmith. I was not in a mood to fight an invader - it's not a hard section, but accidents happen and I didn't want to risk losing 70000+ souls

When I finally saw him, he was on one side of the rotating bridge and the Gargoyle was on the other. Lowering the bridge was a death sentence - I would be guaranteed to fight the gargoyle and him simultaneously.

So, I sat back and waited. The idea I had was to try and take him in the rafters - his PVP gear would have minimum effect there, and my greatshield could block whatever Sorceries he would cast. He ran off for the cathedral window, I ran off for the other.

He then somehow managed to fall to his death on the way over. Thanks for the free 8000 souls?

The other was an invader who decided he didn't want to fight me fairly. He tried to snipe me from the interior stairs while I was fighting the knight on the ground floor hall near the bonfire. I chased him up the stairs and into the great hall, where he ran over to where he was protected by the Royal Giants. , trying to snipe all the while. If you're gonna invade somebody, have the balls to take them on in a fair fight.

It was a good 10 minutes before I managed to goad him out to the open area by the stained glass windows. Once there, we had a right good fight. I could mostly block his sorceries and pyromancy, but was too fat and slow to hit him through a fast roll bolstered by lag. He eventually got me with a pyromancy that exploded behind me.

Both cases had the potential for utter chaos if the AI recognized a Red Phantom. Just seems like a missed opportunity.
    Last edited by Rodin; 2014-03-09 at 03:17 AM.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

Heh. I saw a video about Dark Souls lore. It was purely speculative and mostly unconnected to any actual facts, but it did raise one curious possibility:

Spoiler
    Show
    What if the serpent who convinced the people of Oolacile to upturn Manus' grave wasn't Kaathe, but Frampt? He may have hoped to use the Dark Soul to keep the First Flame going, as time was running out.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ettin in the Playground

That seems pretty unlikely, as I'm sure he would have known the danger, and that the people of Oolacile would have been totally unprepared for it.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ettin in the Playground

Heh. I saw a video about Dark Souls lore. It was purely speculative and mostly unconnected to any actual facts, but it did raise one curious possibility:

Spoiler
    Show
    What if the serpent who convinced the people of Oolacile to upturn Manus' grave wasn't Kaathe, but Frampt? He may have hoped to use the Dark Soul to keep the First Flame going, as time was running out.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's not clear which of the two serpents it was, or if it was even Frampt or Kaathe, but considering the Lord of Dark ending had like ten serpents at the end suggests that the serpents are manipulating everything for reasons unknown, so, it doesn't really matter if it's one of the two (although it'd be interesting), what matters is that the world's going to sh!t and the serpents are puppeteering the situation into their favor, whatever that might be for. The thing is we don't know, but for all we can guess they might be a hivemind connected at the root, or perhaps they are actually individuals trying to gain something out of the dying of the flame, but our lack of clear information on them leads to little but speculation as to their purpose.

Shiva'd
    Last edited by TechnOkami; 2014-03-09 at 04:58 PM.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ettin in the Playground

As I'd mentioned way back, the serpents seem to be divvied into two camps:

One that wants to tear creation down (perhaps to start over) and favours the dark, and another that wants to uphold the status quo and continue the age of light. They seem to have a gentlemen's agreement in place that forbids them from directly intervening; they can only manipulate and cajole agents to act as proxies.

In the Darklord ending, despite Frampt's presence there, I don't see it as evidence that he was in actuality working with Kaathe as an 'infiltrator' of the opposing side, so much as Frampt threw in with him when it became clear his faction failed after the world was irrevocably reclaimed by darkness.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

In the Darklord ending, despite Frampt's presence there, I don't see it as evidence that he was in actuality working with Kaathe as an 'infiltrator' of the opposing side, so much as Frampt threw in with him when it became clear his faction failed after the world was irrevocably reclaimed by darkness.
    How do we know that's Frampt, or even Kaathe, out of curiosity?

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TechnOkami View Post
    How do we know that's Frampt, or even Kaathe, out of curiosity?
    We don't. *shrugs*
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ettin in the Playground

Actually neither are visible among the gathered serpents (Kaathe is darker, Frampt is lighter; check the contrast: http://darksouls.wikidot.com/darkstalker-kaathe vs http://darksouls.wikidot.com/kingseeker-frampt), but they are both mentioned as serving the Darklord by a voice that seems to belong to Kaathe.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

That seems pretty unlikely, as I'm sure he would have known the danger, and that the people of Oolacile would have been totally unprepared for it.
    Can we really say that with certainty? All we really know about Frampt is that he's invested - or claims he is - in perpetrating the Age of Fire. We don't know what he might have been willing or able to do in order to achieve it.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ettin in the Playground

We can't, which is why I said it was unlikely; Kaathe tempting Oolacile so that Manus would awaken and spread the Abyss is definitely the more probable of the two possibilities.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

(Kaathe is darker, Frampt is lighter; check the contrast: http://darksouls.wikidot.com/darkstalker-kaathe vs http://darksouls.wikidot.com/kingseeker-frampt)
    ... The lighting, Surreal. o.0

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't think the difference in colouration/hue is just a consequence of the lighting; do they appear the same at the Lordvessel?

Even if it was, the voice is Kaathe's and the relevant parts of the speech are unchanged; i.e. they're both now aligned with the Darklord, regardless of their physical presence.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't think the difference in colouration/hue is just a consequence of the lighting; do they appear the same at the Lordvessel?
    Yep, they're all grey and serpentine.