New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What is the Snarl's alignment?

Chaotic Force-of-Nature. Like an earthquake, volcano or a tornado in its destructiveness and unpredictability (except of course, much more of both) and unlike a hurricane or tsunami, in this day and age in which its path can be more or less predicted, and you might have time to get out of the way.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CaDzilla View Post
    Is it any of the alignments?
    Chaotic Evil. So Chaotic Evil, that Orcus looks at it and says "Damn, you need to calm down!"

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

https://twitter.com/RichBurlew/statu...25120241967104

Directly from The Giant himself. Someone asked him this very question. His response?

"Pulling slightly on the left front wheel. They should rotate its tires soon."

There you go, folks. Proof that The Snarl is a car.
    Author of The Armadillo Mysteries.
    The City of Smoke & Mirrors and The Dame was a Tad Polish are available to buy on Amazon!
    (Yes, this is shameless self-promoting, but really, is there any OTHER type of self-promoting?)
    Blog
    Twitter

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Omnicidal Messy
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ThatNickGuy View Post

Directly from The Giant himself. Someone asked him this very question. His response?

No wonder its so destructive.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ThatNickGuy View Post

Okay, I have to admit, I don't get what this one means. Is there a use for alignment referring to cars that I'm unaware of?

Peelee’s Lotsey

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    Okay, I have to admit, I don't get what this one means. Is there a use for alignment referring to cars that I'm unaware of?
    Tires. Im unsure of the specifics, but if they aren't aligned properly it can affect your driving.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Tires. Im unsure of the specifics, but if they aren't aligned properly it can affect your driving.
    Oh, I think I get it now. Thanks!

Peelee’s Lotsey

9. - Top - End - #39
    Halfling in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

At last, something I am an "Expert" on

He is refering to the steering alignment. As you drive a car, the various bumps and knocks can knock the wheels so that when your steering wheel is centered, your tyres are not

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Conte_Vincero View Post
    At last, something I am an "Expert" on

He is refering to the steering alignment. As you drive a car, the various bumps and knocks can knock the wheels so that when your steering wheel is centered, your tyres are not
    Okay. Thanks for the help!

Peelee’s Lotsey

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

I got to wondering, rotating is literally the only thing tires ever do. Why rotate them even more?
    Just a heads-up: That coffee we gave you earlier had fluorescent calcium in it so we can track the neuronal activity in your brain. There's a slight chance the calcium could harden and vitrify your frontal lobe. Anyway, don't stress yourself thinking about it. I'm serious. Visualizing the scenario while under stress actually triggers the reaction.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiiba View Post
    I got to wondering, rotating is literally the only thing tires ever do. Why rotate them even more?
    Because they are not perfect spheres, and thus rotating them in the horizontal plane is good for them, but has to be done manually.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Ah the ambiguities of language.

Tires rotate about their central axis during normal driving.
    Every once in a while you should take your car in to have the positioning of its tires changed so that the ones in front are in back and visa versa to avoid having all the wear on a particular tire be on the same (relative) location. This is called 'rotating the tires' on that car.

Horray for re-use of the same basic phrase for completely different meanings!

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

From Shojo's story I got the impression the snarl was pure chaotic. It is nothing but pure chaotic energy. It is so chaotic that I would say the good or evil scale doesn't matter. There is no indication it had enough of a mind to make judgement decisions.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by UristMcRandom View Post
    I'd say Chaotic Evil. We already know that it is a "thing born of chaos", and considering that it's been described as "hateful", "malevolent", and as wanting "nothing more than destruction", it fits the bill well enough for me.
    I cant help but think that Redcloak would probably use those last three descriptors to describe paladins, who are by definition Lawful Good.

From the view of the gods/paladins, this might be accurate assessment of The Snarl's alignment, however, I can't help thinking that this isn't all there is to it. The Snarl was born from a bunch of gods yelling at each other and pulling on the strings that made it up. Given that point of view, it is not unreasonable to lash out at the one's hurting it (gods=god strength, so it had to hurt). In a situation like this, many animals will lash out. After that, the gods backed off, so it didn't bother them, and then they imprisoned it. It defiantly does not adhere to any imposed laws that we know of (thus it cannot be lawful), and seems to do as it pleases, which does give strong favor to the Chaotic descriptor, although if the actions we have seen are based only in instinct (remember, it was fairly young when it killed the Eastern Gods, and it could have been an entirely instinctive reaction), then there is a good argument for neutrality. As far as good and evil goes, quite frankly, I also don't think it cares, one way or the other, about good or evil, so I think that it would best be described as True Neutral (Given the latest strip, I would say a True Neutral that wants to be left alone). Failing that, my bet would be on Chaotic Neutral.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Firbolg in the Playground

His alignment is Ihateyou-Ieatyou.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tires wear down at different rates, depending on which corner of the vehicle they occupy. I'm no auto expert, but my understanding is that all the steering action of the front wheels wears them down faster.

Rotating a vehicle's tires is the act of moving each tire to a new position. Front left would become back left, back left would become back right, and so on.

Wikipedia can probably explain it better than I can: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_rotation

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Angry

Also love the tires discussion, the fun the English language can produce :p.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

i believe the snarl is not a sentient being (int <3), and as such is true neutral.
    if it is instead sentient, then it's CE
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

20. - Top - End - #50
    Firbolg in the Playground

Up until Laurin poked her head it, it wasn't clear.
    Now, I think it's clear that the Snarl's alignment is Existence.
    Fortunately, that means anyone can yell "Smite Existence" to hurt it.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

Chaotic Lawful Evil Good Neutral Chaotic.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

22. - Top - End - #52
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lawful Good.
    Shield-eaters and world leaders have many likes alike

Freelance D20 Design Guy