New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Old games you wish they'd remake for today's computers

Quote Originally Posted by Kislath View Post
    I have an XP machine that can still play Birth of the Federation and Master of Orion 2, but someday I'll have to upgrade and lose those games. Bummer.
    When I got my new computer last year, one of my more tech-savvy friends was kind enough to split my hard drive between XP and Win7 so that I could continue to play old games (such as BOTF). Not sure if that would be a feasible option for you, but it's worked quite well for me so far.
    "Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

FIVE PAGES and no-one's suggested a remake of Planescape: Torment, STILL the best RPG ever made?!?

I am diappointed, playground.

(I would totally buy an enhanced edition of Torment if they ever made one and I would play the hell out of a fan mod to NWN 2 or something if that were ever made too...)

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Why remake Planescape? The game is perfectly fine as it is.

What I would buy at an instant would be a remake of Tie Fighter. One of the very few games that really is technically so old that it isn't that fun anymore.
    Not neccessarily a direct remake, but I'd love to see how you could make a new Star Wars Rebellion these days.

Also: Dozens of old point and click adventures for Android. Adventure's are the perfect genre for tablets, and in turn they are the perfect hardware for the genre. No need to play such games on a computer or big notebook, you could just play them on the couch or on the train. I'd like Myst 2 and The Longest Journey to be done first.
    Last edited by Yora; 2014-04-01 at 06:26 AM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

4. - Top - End - #124
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I agree with Yora--there's not really any way you could improve Planescape: Torment with a remake, so why even try? Definitely agree with TIE Fighter as well, if only because a remake would be pretty much the only way to get the darned game these days!

5. - Top - End - #125
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    FIVE PAGES and no-one's suggested a remake of Planescape: Torment, STILL the best RPG ever made?!?
    I've not played that one yet, though I've already had the ending and stuff spoiled for me. A bit of a bummer.

I just recently got to see the Wii remake of Punchout. Wow that was fun! Easy controls, but they managed to add upon all the fun stuff I liked about the original (i.e. how fights are more like puzzles than button mashing battles). The theme tunes each fighter gets is great, the animations are fun, and the "Battle damage" is a cool little detail. Only downside is I miss Mario as the ref, but I got over it.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    I've not played that one yet, though I've already had the ending and stuff spoiled for me. A bit of a bummer.
    So? PS:T is one of the like, two RPGs I've ever played more than once, which says something. Okay, so maybe your first time might have lost a little bit of impact, but damn it, it was just as good on the second and subsequent times for me anyway.

I actually wondered, after my last post, how you COULD remake PS:T actually, aside from a graphics upgrade (not that it is still grand already). The class-switching thing would not work well in 3.x, since you can already sort of do that, but not in the same way. Frigteningly, that is perhaps one area in which 4E's fixed system has... an edge? Thoug to be honest, I'd rather say sod it and covert it to Rolemaster before 4E.

Actually... Rolemaster PS:T... I like the sound of that...!

But yeah, in truth there's probably not that much you could do to PS:T aside from polish. (But as you kinda require fan patches to fix some of the bugs, a little bit of polish woudn't hurt...)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2014-04-01 at 09:09 AM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Thief Trilogy. And no, there are NOT 4 games, there are only 3.
    You might want to have a look at the darkmod, it is an SDK of sorts built on the doom 3 engine and as based on thief as copyright will allow. The devs have not yet started making the campaign but there are many good fanmissions, some of which are official.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfPirate

Warcraft III anyone? I think it's one of games that delivered best experience, fun and extensive learning curve, all packed up with a GREAT storyline that Blizzard shamelessly decided to corrupt with WoW..

I'd shoot for Warcraft IV with a new alternate time that replaces WoW's storyline, but I can definitely live with a HD version of WC3.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ccjmk View Post
    Warcraft III anyone? I think it's one of games that delivered best experience, fun and extensive learning curve, all packed up with a GREAT storyline that Blizzard shamelessly decided to corrupt with WoW..
    The graphics still hold up fairly well - it's the UI that could use some revamping.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

10. - Top - End - #130

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    The graphics still hold up fairly well
    Cartoony ones always do. Warcraft 3 came out in 2002, around the same time as Morrowind, and the latter's graphics are considered to be eye-meltingly ugly by today's standards; I'm sure the two engines are similar technologically (e.g. in terms of number of polygons and texture resolution), but W3 gets a pass because it's not even trying to look realistic.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Cartoony ones always do. Warcraft 3 came out in 2002, around the same time as Morrowind, and the latter's graphics are considered to be eye-meltingly ugly by today's standards; I'm sure the two engines are similar technologically (e.g. in terms of number of polygons and texture resolution), but W3 gets a pass because it's not even trying to look realistic.
    I wouldn't quite say always - largely in regards to the really old 8-bit era and similar, where the technological limitations hit pretty hard even in a non-realistic style. Consider the original Legend of Zelda - sure, it looks better than something aiming for realism would, but it still looks pretty sloppy.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'd like to see a proper remake of Quest 64. I mean, it wasn't much of an RPG, but it was still my first one, and I have a soft spot for it.

That, and the original System Shock. The second one looks pretty bad by today's standards, and the controls are wonky, but it's at least playable. The first one, err, not so much.

I agree that some classic games should remain un-remade, though, when there's just no way to live up to that example. I don't want to even think about what 4th edition alignment rules and an iPhone tie-in app would do to Planescape: Torment, or how Deus Ex would work out at a third of the size, with Facebook integration and with product placement.

13. - Top - End - #133

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Khay View Post
    or how Deus Ex would work out at a third of the size, with Facebook integration and with product placement.
    I don't think you need to imagine that--that's Deus Ex: The Fall, isn't it?

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd like to see a remastered original version of Gauntlet.
    AND ZOOL! :D (Zool was the first ever game I ever played)
    That little green ninja deserves new life!
    I'm technically but I refuse to admit it!
    Dawn of Yesterday (Resuming now!)
    Currently Developing the "PASSIVE™" RPG system
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    +1 to Fay being awesome, causing nosebleeds and etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    If Fay Graydon is visible to a male target, she deals d6 Nosebleed Damage per turn.
    I'm an Artist!, If you want an Avatar just PM me your specifics - Avatar by Me!

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khay View Post
    I'd like to see a proper remake of Quest 64. I mean, it wasn't much of an RPG, but it was still my first one, and I have a soft spot for it.

That, and the original System Shock. The second one looks pretty bad by today's standards, and the controls are wonky, but it's at least playable. The first one, err, not so much.

I agree that some classic games should remain un-remade, though, when there's just no way to live up to that example. I don't want to even think about what 4th edition alignment rules and an iPhone tie-in app would do to Planescape: Torment, or how Deus Ex would work out at a third of the size, with Facebook integration and with product placement.
    Deus Ex with graphics on par with Human Revolution would make me so happy.

16. - Top - End - #136

So? PS:T is one of the like, two RPGs I've ever played more than once, which says something. Okay, so maybe your first time might have lost a little bit of impact, but damn it, it was just as good on the second and subsequent times for me anyway.
    Is it on Steam? I'll add it to my wish list if it is.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Is it on Steam? I'll add it to my wish list if it is.
    No idea. I still play if off the originals. Google it?

(Note: you will almost certainly need to track down the fan patches the ultimate weidu fixpack and probably the Nvidia fixpack (from somewhere like Sorcerer's Place), as they fix bugs bugs and grammar problems the original patches missed. The widescreen mod is also a good idea.)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2014-04-02 at 08:02 AM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

Not sure if PS:T is on Steam, but I know it's on GoG.

Alpha Protocol probably runs fine on current machines, but it should get a remake just to finish it and iron the bugs out. The role-playing aspects of the game approach PS:T levels of magnificence; it's just the combat that's wonky. (And the little thing where pistols are so much better than any other weapon that there's no reason to ever use anything else. Balance is less important in a single-player game, but it's still a factor.)
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I want to play Yu-Gi-Oh Dungeon Dice Monsters. That game is doomed to be clumsy as a boardgame, but smooth as a computer game with the pedigree of a boardgame.

I don't care if Yu-Gi-Oh is actually used for it. In fact, I prefer no, because Yu-Gi-Oh property really sucks. Make all-new IP for all I care. It's just the DDM gameplay that is brilliant, hampered by the below-average production values and IP of the YGO brand.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned them.. But a PC remake/rerelease of the first eight Dragonquest games would be neat..
    There are admittedly remakes of 4, 5, and 6(for ds), but it would be fun to see one of the games on PC(it seems sort of odd that they're aren't any, given that the final fantasy series has released PC versions of 7 and 8, not to mention two mmos[dragonquest technically has one as well.. but last I checked it was Japan exclusive])
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

21. - Top - End - #141
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

The Wizardry series, but 6-7 especially. I can't begin to recall how may weeks and months I spent in that. Got the series of GOG and it's a blast (yeah, from the past, I geddit), but it could do with a graphics overhaul and a more modern GUI. Keep the story, keep the turn based thing-a-majig, imporve a little on the 'take your characters to the next installment' but whatever you do, do not dumb it down.

While I am at it, the Might & Magic series is still fun, but it looks terrible. Just update the graphics and GUI and you can entertain a new generation of gamers.

And, hey, while I am dreaming, perhaps, finally, somebody could fix Battlecruiser 4000AD? That would be about bloody time :)

22. - Top - End - #142

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Roghain View Post
    While I am at it, the Might & Magic series is still fun, but it looks terrible. Just update the graphics and GUI and you can entertain a new generation of gamers.
    Ubisoft have beaten you to it--Might and Magic X: Legacy is that game. The only problem with it is that they went for the flick-square movement from the old games rather than the free movement from MM6-8, but other than that, you might want to check it out.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

For RTS fans, the Remastered edition of Age of Mythology should be hitting Steam next month.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

You know, it occurs to me , if they did do a remake of TIE Fighter (to this sort of standard1), re-scoring it with an orchestral version of the original Imuse score would be mandatory. I mean, the collector's edition emake that you got with X-Wing and X-Wing Vrs TIE with the CD music from the films just... I honestly couldn't play it, because despite the graphics being improved, it really just wasn't the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    For RTS fans, the Remastered edition of Age of Mythology should be hitting Steam next month.
    I never played the "Age of" stuff past the first AoE (and Empire Earth I, II and III, which was superlative, okay and dire respectively), and I don't think I finished that, bugger, now I've got another game to add to my completion list and damn, the Star Wars one too, thanks Grif, so how does it compare to the aforementioned? I never finished the original and the SW version, because I found everything played so samey (what with everything being nearly just a reskin, espeicall in the SW version) I got bored after a while. EE one, on account of the whole nation traits and vastly bigger timescale had a lot more varity. So, what was Age of Mythology like in terms of campaign? (Which is the real reason I play these things.)

1This is the most beautiful piece of Star Wars art I've ever seen. This - right there - THAT is Star Wars. Not silly dull space-samuari and their laser-swords, not mystical philosphy, but THAT. That is what it is REALLY all about. Simply breathtaking to the point if I wasn't already a Lich, I'd have suffocated.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2014-04-03 at 06:40 AM.

25. - Top - End - #145

You know, it occurs to me , if they did do a remake of TIE Fighter (to this sort of standard1), re-scoring it with an orchestral version of the original Imuse score would be mandatory.
    Pretty much every space-faring game can't go wrong with an orchestral score. Especially Space Opera
    Digo Dragon - Artist

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

I never played the "Age of" stuff past the first AoE (and Empire Earth I, II and III, which was superlative, okay and dire respectively), and I don't think I finished that, bugger, now I've got another game to add to my completion list and damn, the Star Wars one too, thanks Grif, so how does it compare to the aforementioned? I never finished the original and the SW version, because I found everything played so samey (what with everything being nearly just a reskin, espeicall in the SW version) I got bored after a while. EE one, on account of the whole nation traits and vastly bigger timescale had a lot more varity. So, what was Age of Mythology like in terms of campaign? (Which is the real reason I play these things.)
    Fair warning, it's been a long time since I played so my memory is a little fuzzy on the details, as well as being tinged by nostalgia.

It's basically Age of Empire-esque, but more streamlined and intuitive. The neat additions you get are god powers, in which you basically choose a god to follow, and each provide their own bonus and powers. When you reach a new age/era, you get to choose another minor god to worship, which provides their own units, bonus and powers. Unlike AoE, where each faction basically follow the same tech tree plus or minus units, the factions here are very different and has its own unique characteristics. The original had three factions, Greeks, Egypt and Norse. The expansion added the Atlanteans. (which broke the game balance, IMO. They were stupid OP.)

The campaign, well, it's pretty good as far as I can remember, spanning dozens of missions and easily lasting 10-20 hours, depending on skilled you are. You're basically following Arkantos, a general from Atlantis and get to participate in classical Greek, Egyptian and Norse mythologies. (Of the most notable, the siege of Troy.)

EDIT: If you liked AoE and Empire Earth, I'd recommend Rise of Nations as well. That game is criminally underrated.
    Last edited by Grif; 2014-04-03 at 07:47 AM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Significantly different factions - as that was my biggest gripe with AoE, I think that's worth a look then: I'll keep my eyes open. Cheers.

(This may be my first game purchase this year. Talk about being a bad year for games...)

I have played Rise of Legends (one of the games I finished in my Bleakbane Finishes Stuff push), which as I understand is a spin-off. That was rather good except for the final, third campaign, which was a bit lack lustre.

(And I think I do need to put AoE 1... if I can get it working...! - next on my list Games I Get Finished, after I finish my DA:O playthrough...)

28. - Top - End - #148
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'd like a remake of Age of Sails. There's never enough good sailing games around.
    The fastest animal alive today is a small dinosaur, Falco Peregrino.
    It prays mainly on other dinosaurs, which it strikes and kills in midair with its claws.
    This is a good world

Calcifer the Fire Demon by Djinn_In_Tonic

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    EDIT: If you liked AoE and Empire Earth, I'd recommend Rise of Nations as well. That game is criminally underrated.
    I'll concur that RoN is good... and I got it with the expansion for like $5-10 USD several years ago. The timescale spans all of recorded human history (Stone Age to Information Age), and the nation traits are fairly significant... and the economy is less micromanage-y than AoE.

However, if you didn't like AoE's tech tree for being so same-y, RoN is little different in that regard. Unique units are interspersed within the standard unit tree, and all civilizations get all the techs, so it's mostly the nation traits that make the difference: British get better economic caps (up until they hit the global limit of 999/sec), taxes, archers (and free archer upgrades), faster-building ships, and faster and cheaper Anti-Air; Americans get to instantly build their first Wonder (unless it's the Supercollider or Space Program), cheaper aircraft, resources from infantry, and free Government upgrades; Russians get cheaper spies, stronger national borders, and deal more attrition damage (damage over time suffered while traveling through enemy territory without a supply chain).

That, and Civilization-style Wonders, which provide major bonuses but can only be built once. The Statue of Liberty gives you all land and air unit upgrades for free (but is only available starting in the Industrial Age), the Terra Cotta Army produces an infinite number of free light infantry so long as you have the population room (though its build time scales with the number of infantry you have out in the field already), etc.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Kislath View Post
    The title says it all-- what are your favorite old games that you can't play anymore, and wish they'd remake to run on today's systems?

Tie Figher tops my wish-list, followed by Aces of the Pacific and Wolfpack.
    Almost definitely been said, but DOSBox is your friend.

That said, my Gamecube is getting old, and I'd like to be able to keep playing Summoner 2: A Goddess Reborn and Gladius.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.