New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Witch-Blood [PF Race, Crossroads]

Witch-blooded

Witch-bloods are humans who have been influenced by some supernatural force before their birth. Be it an outsider somewhere in their bloodline, magical influence on their unborn form, or some other source.
    Personality: Witch-blooded are generally slow to trust others with their true nature, only revealing the truth once they’re certain they can trust the individuals. Some insist on total secrecy, telling nobody. Often this can come off as paranoia or untrustworthiness. This practiced secrecy often leads to them being more guarded and mysterious, even about inconsequential things.
    Physical Description: Witch-blooded are often marked somehow by their unnatural heritage. It’s generally not anything extremely obvious, just subtle, small signs. Like unusual hair or eye color, or maybe an odd birthmark somewhere on their body. In some cases the supernatural influence is more obvious, but it typically can be covered up with careful selection of clothes or makeup.
    Relations: Witch-bloods are outcasts in colonial society, regarded with fear and even anger. Many a witch-blood has been burned at the stake by the more zealous puritanical groups in Columbia. In native societies, they are somewhat more accepted, but still set aside by their unusual abilities. Most try to keep their unnatural heritage secret as much as possible, trying to disguise or cover up the signs of their unnatural heritage.
    Alignment: Witch-blood have their alignment influenced by their supernatural parent, though in which direction they go depends on the witch-blood. For example, one with demonic heritage may embrace their evil urges, or may rise above them to champion the cause of good. In any case, they are more inclined to extreme alignments than most humans.
    {table=head]|L|N|C
    G|12|12|12
    N|12|5|12
    E|12|12|12[/table]
    Witchblood Lands: Witch-blooded live among the humans of columbia for the most part, though they are beginning to arise among the natives of the new world now that European spiritual entities and creatures are beginning to spread.
    Religion: Witch-blooded tend to react to religion in extremely positive ways or extremely negative ways. Some look to divine power for guidance or strength to deal with the stress their way of life puts on them. Others reject the church entirely, seeing that whatever divine figure there may be saw fit to curse them with such an existence. Some view their strange abilities as divine gifts.
    Language: Witch-blooded generally speak European languages or English.
    Names: Witch-blooded names are often biblical, names given by parents hoping their unusual children will follow the example of their name.
    Adventurers: Witch-blooded often fall into the role of adventurer, moving around often to avoid being cornered by overzealous church agents and using their abilities however they can.

• +2 to any one ability score.
    • Medium Size: Witch-bloods receive no benefits or penalties due to their size.
    • Normal Speed: Witch-bloods have a base land speed of 30 feet.
    • Blood of Monsters: A witch-blooded character has a faint remnant of a non-human ancestor or influence in their family tree, ancestry that provides them with inhuman powers. Select one of the following heritages, and select two abilities from the chosen heritage.
      Angelic: A witch-blood with angelic heritage has been influenced by sacred divine powers from Judeo-Christian sources. This heritage can be from an angelic ancestor, a particularly powerful divine blessing on their mother, or even by being the child of a particularly faithful and pious parent. These children are typically fair of hair and complexion. Some may have golden eyes, or feathers mixed into their hair.
      Spoiler
      Show
      • Aura of Protection: All allies within 10 feet of the witch-blood gain a +1 bonus to AC and Saves against attacks or abilities from evil creatures. This bonus increases by +1 for every 5 HD the witch-blood possesses.
      • Glare of Judgement: As a standard action, the witch-blood can focus his gaze into a glare that causes the sins of the target to weigh on their soul. The target takes a -1 penalty to all attack rolls, saves, skill checks, and ability checks for one minute. The penalty increases by 1 for every 5 HD the witch-blood possesses. If the target is evil, the penalty is doubled, and if the target is good, the penalty is halved (minimum one).
      • Light of Revelation: The witch-blood’s eyes shed bright light in a 30-foot cone, and shadowy illumination in a 60-foot cone. Creatures in the area of bright light take a -2 penalty to bluff, disguise, and stealth checks. The penalty increases by 2 for every 5 HD the witch-blood possesses.
      • Sanctified Strikes: The witch blood’s attacks are considered to be good-aligned, and when attacking an evil creature, their attacks gain a +1 holy bonus to damage rolls. This bonus increases by 1 for every 5 HD the witch-blood possesses.
      • Tongues: The witch-blood can speak in tongues for one minute at a time, a number of times per day equal to their charisma modifier. While in this state, they can communicate with any creature that has a language as though they were a novice in that language. This proficiency increases by one step for every 5 HD they possess.(intermediate at 5 HD, conversational at 10 HD, fluent at 15 HD, native at 20 HD).
      • Word of Command: The witch blood can infuse a single word with divine influence a number of times per day equal to their charisma modifier. The command can only be a single word, and all creatures within a 20 foot burst may make a will save (DC 10+½ HD+cha mod) or be forced to obey the command for one round.

Demonic: A witch-blood with demonic heritage has been influenced by forces of darkness and evil from Judeo-Christian demons. Perhaps there was actual demonic blood in their family tree, or one of their parents was particularly evil, or did something foul while they were a baby. Demonic witch-blooded are often dark-haired. They may have black eyes, or short tails, or some other hint to the demonic source of their power.
      Spoiler
      Show
      • Darksight: The witch blood possesses the ability to see normally in darkness, even magical darkness. In addition, the witch-blood can create a static 10-foot globe of darkness a number of times per day equal to their charisma modifier, which lasts for one minute. This light causes the light in the area to decrease by one step, from bright light to normal light to dim light to darkness. For every 5 HD you possess, the globe reduces the light by an additional step.
      • Fell Strikes: The witch blood’s attacks are considered to be evil-aligned, and when attacking a good creature, their attacks gain a +1 unholy bonus to damage rolls. This bonus increases by 1 for every 5 HD the withc-blood possesses.
      • Fire-Walker: The witch-blood is inured to the flames of the pit, gaining fire resistance equal to ½ their HD.
      • Flame Strikes: The witch blood can unfuse their weapons with flames, increasing the damage they deal. As a swift action, they can ignite a melee weapon they’re touching. The burning weapon deals 1 fire damage in addition to its normal damage, and the flames do not harm the weapon. The flames dissipate one round after the weapon leaves their possession. The fire damage increases by 1 for ever 5 HD they possess.
      • Hellish Minion: The witch blood gains the service of a demonic beast, similar to a familiar.
        Spoiler: Hellish Minion
        Show

A hellish minion is a demonic version of a familiar that attaches itself to a witch-blood, most often taking the form of a cat. See [url=“http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/familiar“]familiar[/ulr] for the basics. The hellish minion uses it‘s master’s HD instead of their wizard/sorcerer level. However, there are some important differences to note.

A hellish minion is treated as an outsider instead of a magical beast.
        If a hellish minion is lost or slain, it respawns after 24 hours, appearing somewhere near its master. A witch-blood can summon their hellish minion to their side from anywhere on the material plane with a one-minute ritual.
        A hellish minion does not gain the ‘share spells’ ability. Instead, it gains the ability to see normally in darkness, even magical darkness.
        A hellish minion does not gain ‘deliver touch spells’ ability. Instead, the hellish minion is infused with elemental energy. Their natural attacks deal Acid, Cold, Electricity, or Fire damage equal to ½ the master’s HD on a successful hit.
        A hellish minion gains ‘speak with master’ as normal, however, instead of speaking aloud, the hellish minion gains the ability to telepathically communicate with it’s master as long as it is within 60 feet.
        A hellish minion does not gain the ‘speak with animals of it’s kind’ ability. Instead, it can now use it’s telepathy to communicate with any creature with an intelligence score within 60 feet. This is rarely used, as it somewhat gives away the hellish minion’s true nature.
        A hellish minion does not gain the ‘scry on familiar’ ability. Instead, the range of the minion’s telepathy with it’s master increases to one mile.
      • Insidious telepathy: The witch-blood can read minds and pry secrets from others. As a standard action, the witch blood must concentrate on a single non-mindless creature within 30 feet that they can see. The target makes a will save (DC 10+½ HD+cha mod). If successful, the witch-blood cannot attempt to read their mind again for one hour. If the save is failed, the witch blood can detect the creature’s surface thoughts. The witch blood can continue to read the target’s surface thoughts for as long as they continue to concentrate. The witch blood can attempt to read minds a number of times per day equal to their charisma modifier.

Fey: A witch-blood with fey heritage has been influenced by chaotic forces of nature. There could be fey heritage in their bloodline somewhere, or one of their parents had been in close contact with a powerful fey creature, or perhaps they were conceived in a dryad’s glade, or a nymph’s pool. These witch-blooded typically have brightly-colored eyes, and often have excessive energy. They may have tiny antenna, or a strange sheen to their skin.
      Spoiler
      Show
      • Fade: The witch-blood can fade from sight slightly, becoming less and less visible. As a swift action, they can fade, gaining a +2 bonus to stealth checks. This bonus increases by +2 for ever 5 HD the witch-blood possesses. A number of times per day equal to their charisma modifier, they can disappear entirely as a swift action, becoming fully invisible until the end of their turn. This invisibility immediately ends if they make an attack or cast a spell.
      • Fae Tricks: The witch blood has a bit of fae magic in their blood. The witch-blood can use prestidigitation as a spell-like ability at will.
      • Fae Toughness: The witch blood gains damage reduction 1, which is overcome by cold iron. This DR increases by 1 for every 5 HD the witch blood possesses.
      • Fairy Skin: The witch blood’s body is resistant to magic like many fey creatures. The witch-blood gains spell resistance equal to 10+HD.
      • Forest Step: The witch blood is at home in the woodlands. The witch-blood can move through any sort of undergrowth at their normal speed, without taking damage or suffering any other impairment. This does not include areas where the undergrowth has been magically manipulated to impede movement.
      • Maenad‘s Frenzy: As a swift action a number of times per day the witch-blood can enter a frenzy-like state for one minute. While this is active, the witch-blood gains a +2 bonus to strength and a pair of natural claw attacks that deal 1d4 points of damage.

Undead: A witch-blood with undead heritage has been influenced by negative energy or the dead. They could be the child of a well-preserved undead creature, or conceived in a desecrated area, or their pregnant mother may have been attacked with negative energy. These witch-blooded may have pale, sickly looking skin, or may be unhealthily thin. Some may have patches or necrotic flesh, wounds that never seem to close, or dark, sunken eyes.
      Spoiler
      Show
      • Banshee Scream: You can let loose a fearsome wail that sickens those around you. As a standard action, you can wail. All creatures within 30 feet that can hear you must make a fortitude save (DC 10+½ HD+cha mod) or become sickened for one minute. You can wail a number of times per day equal to your charisma modifier. This is a sonic effect.
      • Bone Armor: The witch-blood’s bones are thicker, stronger, and more resilient, making them more likely to stop weapons. They gain a +1 bonus to natural armor. The bonus increases by +1 for ever 5 HD the witch-blood possesses. The witch-blood doubles this bonus against critical confirmation rolls.
      • Draining Fangs: The witch blood can extend their incisors to pierce flesh and drain blood. Each turn they start in a grapple, they can deal 1 point of constitution damage to their opponent.
      • Fear: As a swift action the witch blood can exude an aura of supernatural terror. All creatures within 30 feet that can see you must make a will save (DC 10+½ HD+cha mod) or be shaken for one round. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to your charisma modifier. This is a fear effect.
      • Necrotic Heart: The witch blood’s body is tainted by undead energy. They are immune to ability drain and death effects. In addition, if you successfully save against a negative energy effect, the effect heals you for half the damage it would have otherwise dealt.
      • Spectral Touch: The witch blood‘s body and any weapons or armor they wield are considered to be ghost touch items. This effect dissipates one round after it leaves the witch blood’s possession. In addition, the witch blood can make a negative energy melee touch attack that deals 1d6+cha damage, +1/5 HD.
    Last edited by Admiral Squish; 2014-02-22 at 01:05 AM.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Witch-Blood [PF Race, Crossroads]

Feats:

Hellish companion:
    Prerequisites: 1st level only, animal companion.
    Benefit: Your companion is your hellish minion. It is an outsider rather than an animal, it respawns after 24 hours if slain, and it gains the hellish minion special abilities and intelligence according to it’s master’s HD, in addition to the abilities it normally gains from the master’s effective druid level. A hellish companion typically looks dark, evil, or ominous in some way.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3

Alright, everyone, here's the witch-blood, the latest race for the Crossroads campaign setting! Been working on these guys on and off for quite some time.

I have enough completed that I can post them, but I'm still looking for more material, more variety within each heritage group. So, I'm taking suggestions! If you have an idea for an ability for one of the heritage options, lay it on me, im kinda stuck.

I'm also debating if I should add an aberration heritage option. It would make sense from an in-game perspective, but the problem is there aren't many iconic aberration abilities that would really be suitable as abilities for the witch-blooded. I'm not looking for physical mutations, I'm more looking at magical/supernatural abilities that can be relatively easily concealed.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

I guess I'm not sure that the Undead lineage is appropriate, since their whole schtick is that they're outside the natural cycle of life and death.

This is just a formatting note, but I think each lineage should have its own separate spoiler, and Hellish Minion should be a sub-spoiler within the Demonic lineage. Plus, I feel like these lineages really cry out for illustrations; I'll try to find some good ones for your approval.

I feel like the idea of feathers in their hair or antennae is kind of... too obvious, I guess. I feel like there are subtler, more poetic ways to emphasize their otherworldliness, like having eyes flecked with gold, or hair that changes color depending on the lighting. Maybe they have ears which are ever-so-slightly pointed, or fingernails which are especially claw-like. I'll think of something more specific when I have more time. I'm not really sure how to explain it right now.
    My Homebrew Projects

Crossroads: The New World - Tribes, colonists, trade confederacies, and empires both new and old collide in an alt-history North America, circa 1750 A.D. (On the road to publication!)

Author of Motor City Breakdown, Co-Author & Accuracy Consultant for Ashes of the Motor City
    Major Contributor, Tenebrous Seas Wiki

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

No, no, the Undead are exactly what I needed.

The Hound-Children are as follows:

Witch-Bloods with their +2 applied either to Dex or Cha, as well as their choice of Banshee Wail, Fear, or Necrotic Heart.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
    I guess I'm not sure that the Undead lineage is appropriate, since their whole schtick is that they're outside the natural cycle of life and death.

This is just a formatting note, but I think each lineage should have its own separate spoiler, and Hellish Minion should be a sub-spoiler within the Demonic lineage. Plus, I feel like these lineages really cry out for illustrations; I'll try to find some good ones for your approval.

I feel like the idea of feathers in their hair or antennae is kind of... too obvious, I guess. I feel like there are subtler, more poetic ways to emphasize their otherworldliness, like having eyes flecked with gold, or hair that changes color depending on the lighting. Maybe they have ears which are ever-so-slightly pointed, or fingernails which are especially claw-like. I'll think of something more specific when I have more time. I'm not really sure how to explain it right now.
    Well, there are a number of character options that allow for living characters to have some undead traits. There'a the half-vampire template, the lich-loved feat, and there's a feat called gravetouched or something similar that makes it so you heal from negative energy and take damage from positive.

Good point on the formatting, the current design was from when the abilties were all mixed together.

As for the not-so-subtle-signs, they can't be anything that's impossible to cover up, like color-shifting hair or claw-nails. These guys have to live in hiding, essentially, and anything that's TOO obvious would give them away.

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    No, no, the Undead are exactly what I needed.

The Hound-Children are as follows:

Witch-Bloods with their +2 applied either to Dex or Cha, as well as their choice of Banshee Wail, Fear, or Necrotic Heart.
    See? Told you these guys would be a better fit than spirit-born.
    I originally had a curse-glare ability but then I realized there aren't many other undead that have abilities relating to bad luck.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show