New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Ascension of Aeternus Act 1: Unhealthy Peace

Tyrene makes a short bow to Gilana, and gives her a smile: "Oh Gilana, it is good to see you. Although I must ask the reverse question, why vote in favor of such a clause? I am sure that you understand that it is a highly unpleasant thing for us.", she turns her face a little, leaning sideways. "But enough of such unpleasantries, it is good to see you again after all these years, and in such excellent health. Being surrounded by all these mortals almost makes one take pity on them, wouldn't you say?"

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

"Pity... there is a bit of that as well. They bloom and wither so quickly, yet try to accomplish so much in their short lives. Picking ideals, molding themselves around them, enforcing their laws. Fascination and curiosity, those are there too." Her gaze wonders, her mind elsewhere for a second. "Sometimes they become something majestic, others not so much. Still, I enjoy watching them grow." She suddenly snaps back and regains fer focus before continuing.

"I voted against a change because I could not fathom being told that I could not leave..." She pauses here, her smile becoming a slightly pained expression. "As I stood by and watched them do to you so long ago. Then there is Logan's answer to your monologue" She tries to find the Paladin in the crowd, but only briefly. "I am supposed to come representing those on my side of the ocean. He may be from another land, but here they seem intent on grouping us together. I ask for forgiveness for his rudeness." She closes her eyes and lowers her head, coming back up before finishing. "If there is anything you may want of me, I will do what I can to help." This was supposed to be the idea behind the peace conference, wasn't it?
    Last edited by Ryuuk; 2014-03-14 at 08:55 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33

”Yes, I know what it is like to be restrained, but all that exists is restrained. Most beings cannot even swim properly. Their whole life is a prison, and leaving their home only causes damage. When I was kept as a symbol of trust I knew that it was for the best, for peace. But here, here hatred is still harbored by these mortals. And things like the clause foster this hatred. To the treaty all nations should be equal, and it causes me great pain that all these centuries have not been enough to liberate us from these old insults.”

Tyrene places a hand on Gilana’s shoulder: ”But please, don’t feel guilty for what that man said. Those were his words and beliefs, not yours. I know that you are not hateful like that. And I want you to know that I appreciate your coming here to speak to me in my grief. It is good to know that I have a friend here in between the chilly hate.”
    Last edited by Raunchel; 2014-03-14 at 10:16 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

At the behest of the mechanical moderators, Terressa departs the halls, her mind still on the clause. To her, Verix and Nerkiv still represented potential threats - to give them the ability to reestablish themselves as powers was not exactly something she wanted. Still, mortals changed much more quickly than she did. While the past seven hundred years were long, most mortals only survived a handful of decades, a century at most. Some of them lived a little longer, like elves...regardless, perhaps it was time to give them a chance to make things better for themselves. It was obvious most of Thylle's representatives did not care to do that.

I need to take this time to relax...Frederick is practically useless, so I guess I will be representing Olsworth this time. Terressa shook her head, sending away the swarming thoughts of politics and war. She sighed, knowing that the peace that had been wrought was most likely the cause of her current diplomat's laze.

Once outside the meeting hall, she seeks out a spot to simply rest and regain a peaceful mindset.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

"Warm words should melt chilly hate, let us at least leave with that" Gilana smiles at the gesture briefly putting her own hand over Tyrene's. "Grudges can run deep. I am afraid I have some of my own, but were I too judge I would say they pale in comparison to the rift between the land... the people of the lands we represent."

"I imagined this event differently. No mechanical voices, no strict schedule... no reviews of words written down so long ago. I suppose I was a bit naive. Still, it has been centuries since the war ended, for all the event's flaws, there is at least that."
    Will be edited by Ryuuk : Sometime in the future.

6. - Top - End - #36

"Unfortunately most mortals cannot see beyond such systems, their minds are unfit for free thinking. That is the plague this world suffers from. Even many of those who breathe eternity fail to truly think. So many poor, pitiful creatures populate the land and the sea. One day the proper order may be restored, and that will be a splendorous, glorious day. We will sing and dance then."

The mirth fades away when she continues: "But for now we have an imperfect world, not in its natural place, and that requires that we dance along to the mortal tune. This cold, mechanical, and repetitive tune. The conference is a part of it, an essential part even, a part where alterations can be made to the melody of the world."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

"The sad part is, I don't think they'll ever be truly documented. They mix folklore with real life as it transpires. To be able to document them all would mean you would have to take control of all tribes at the same time, and get them to agree to it. I can talk with them all, but never at the same time, and even then I'm still an outlander. They can tell by the hair." Mirabelle says, looking disappointingly at her drink. "My best hope is getting their elders to pull on ears and agree to forming a council. Unfortunately for the Verix, they aren't the first to try this sort of ploy, and as much as they pride themselves, they won't be the last.

"But life goes on, right? Do you feel like you'll make progress with your goals today?"
    Just finding my roots again.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Locations:
    Spoiler
    Show
    From the Conference Chamber:
    North Hall: Tyrene, Gilana
    West Hall: Mirabelle
    South Hall: Teressa, Lyra

Lyra:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Well I'm mainly interested on your expertise in ritual magic." Karl says as he produces some paper. Upon closer examination Lyra realizes that it's a magically-inscribed blueprint, containing the basics of a ritual spell's layout, but with much of the geometry seeming far more suited for mechanical application than magical. "I found this design etched into a false panel when I was working maintenance on the initiate dorm abjurations. I took a look in the student roster to figure out who inscribed it, but we've had some issues with arcane decay on our magically stored records, so all I know is that there was a student from over a hundred years ago that didn't make it very far in the academy. This person's affinity was more toward mechanical than magical practices, and his rejected work was trying to find the middle ground between the two fields. I think he found some of Zensibar's writing and managed to piece together a concept, and if so then you're the person to go to. I tried a small-scale test of this design already but it almost instantly overloaded." He pauses, a bit of shame is noticeable in his face. "I didn't think the inscription was anywhere near the target efficiency needed for practical use, so the magic circle against fire I was using imploded, forcing a deep freeze within its area and almost killing some of my assisting students. I need more data on the energy conversion scaling on this design before I'm even allowed to try again in a demiplane bunker. You're the one who brought ritual magic back to a forefront research topic, so you'd have the best sense for what's going on with it. Can you tell just by looking or will you need some tests?"

Roll Knowledge (Arcana) and Spellcraft checks.

Tyrene, Gilana:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Each representative's respective diplomats quickly approach, clearly on edge about opposites socializing so casually. "Gilana, may I speak with you, in private?" Merideth's voice is excessively stern and her glare is stuck on Turrince, whose brow is actually slightly furrowed as he glares back. "Funny how a need for control comes from the places that try to deny it the most." The drow dryly retorts as he beckons Tyrene further down the hallway.

Merideth's anger becomes more visible as she waits for the Milquogh pair to be out of earshot. "Aren't you aware of how delicate our situation is now? You can't just go up to any Verix nation and have small talk on a whim after your ally just declares their intent to oppress them! I want to say that you didn't mess anything up, but their representatives operate on expression either false emotion or no emotion, so who knows if that Sirene has moved up us on the list of people she would love to see dead in the water."

Over with Turrince and Tyrene, the drow continues with his emotionless talk. "You seemed to have handled that well. It's an odd thing for a representative, especially from the Thylle region, to approach one of us so casually and begin conversation. If you think you can win some support on their side of the conference through her, then go ahead." He almost seems to smile. "At the very worst it will leave Merideth even more flustered and distracted, since she's the only one that actively tries to regulate their own interactions. Just be careful near Logan. We've pushed him for quite a few years and your presence seems to have made him snap earlier than we thought possible. Even though the mediators are equipped for defending everyone and preventing assassinations, he may try to bring a mortal blow to you regardless."

Teressa:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As she rests outside the conference chamber, she notices Logan approaching. He sits on the bench near her, leaning heavily on his sheathed sword. "Teressa, you've been here longer than me, and you spend more time among the populace. What do you think has made everyone so complacent? The horrible wars fought for this peace were far too long, and I think broke the spirits of many. I was still new to my Order when I waded in that sea of blood with my allies, the few that survived. But the blood and the death wasn't what hurt me the most, it was the realization that so many of our inspirational figures from back then had given up hope in our world. I remember watching the clergy attempt to resurrect leader after leader, only to find out that the vast majority had already moved on and didn't want to come back. The paladin who recruited me to the Order, Jennings, was one of those people. Seeing that resurrection spell fail, then listening to him say this world was lost when they used Speak with Dead almost broke me." Tears are almost visible, but he blinks them away quickly so that none of the passing people notice. "When we finally forced the surrender out of North Nerkiv, and the Verix nations, I swore to maintain this time of peace, and to never lose resolve in front of those who looked up to me. If we allow those nations anything, then we are allowing the world to decline back into a state where no one has faith in it. But who is left to remember, and how many of them still care?"

Mirabelle:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As the trio of representatives walk out of the chambers the two extraplanar ones chuckle. "We have no real goals of any sort." Arillian says, "We're basically here to be a face to talk to for anyone that has interest in our planes. It's almost entirely industrial ambition, with the sparse research expedition coming up every few years. Renna probably has one of the easier bits, since other than Slaadi research almost no one has an interest in Limbo." Renna speaks up once she finishes. "It's a lot along the same lines as you. We all represent places that not everyone wants to live, and we're the line of defense against those who would like to do what they please with those areas."

As everyone talks the rise in mediators present in the halls seems to increase. They maintain their usual security activities, but those who notice them do wonder why they feel the need to increase security, before dismissing it on the premise of Logan's rant and the hostility it spread.

9. - Top - End - #39

Tyrene looks around at the increasing number of moderators. She doesn't know the usual procedures of the conference, and assumes that this is normal after a disturbance. But then again, such disturbances should be reckoned with in the normal plans. No, this betrays that there is something peculiar. But there are other things on her mind now, things like Gilana who is being scolded for talking to her. She cannot make out the words, but the Sirene has spent enough time in the world to understand what happens. It almost makes her smile.

"She will not give much support in major matters, although it might be possible to tempt her to give her aid in seemingly minor matters. The paladin, Logan, however seems ill in his mind. Almost as though he bears a grudge against me. I shall keep my safety in mind, although he might lash out again, with consequences for his cause."

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Gilana says nothing at first, simply giving Tyrene and Turrince a courteous bow before leaving. She glides along with Meredith, listening, but without a change in her expression. "Meredith, I was there when we tried to cross the sea that they controlled. There when Gerard denied her asylum during the final stage of the war... Logan would have been proud of him then." Her voice is firm, but quiet, for her companion's ears only. "We represent his line, I know we are on the list if she still holds what she said back then to heart. I said words back then as well and I have not forgotten them."

"Would you have preferred I actively shun another fey? That would have been an even greater insult, I wasn't aware we handed them out so openly." The last remark was barbed. She pauses and closes her eyes in a pained expression. After a deep breath, she continues. "Sorry, we should obey those mechanical voices... I deemed an olive branch and an exchange of words appropriate. At least in this matter, I ask that you trust me. Centuries after Lucie's children die of old age, Tyrene will still look as she does now, but so will I."

"If my actions have made us seem of mixed opinions to other nations, I put forth that they came from the childish newcomer you have had to keep on a leash, not a veteran diplomat who has become an institution. Let them gamble on what my agenda is and were my loyalties rest. I do not see Lucie losing that bet... please, trust me."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

"Well this is interesting," Lyra said as she studied the diagram. "Very elaborate work. As ritual circles go, it's quite versatile. Meant for absorbing and directing magical energy to...a variety of ends. I'd need to study it in more detail, maybe even do a couple tests, to see just how far it could go but just off the top of my head...see here? The structure along this area looks to be for directing magic outwardly. There's several of them, but judging by the runes, this one's meant for abjuration. I wouldn't try to use it with anything but low-power spells, though. Not without more time to study and experiment with it, at any rate."

"A magic circle shouldn't be beyond it, though. I'm just speculating here, but what you might be running afoul of is the more...mechanical design of the thing. If it's meant to interact with natural laws...I mean, energy doesn't like to just stay in one place without a mage telling it to, you know? My guess is that this structure is meant for collection and refinement of energy. Using it for storage might be what caused it to overload and fail...the structure seems designed to move the energy to these outputs and send it back out, so when the energy didn't leave, it built up too quickly and failed. What I think you want to do, is connect a more traditional ritual circle here, at the abjuration node. Lets this circle save you the work of refining the energy yourself, which should fairly substantially reduce the time the ritual takes. Again, though, complete guess based on its physical design. I'd have to play with it some to know for sure."
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

"Time," she says after a lengthy pause. "The passage of time has removed many veterans from our midst, and younger individuals rarely feel the direct repercussions of that terrible war now. In fact, some are so far removed, they only see this as some political charade, to pull strings and then leave as quickly as they came. Most do not see Verix and Nerkiv as potential threats..." She trails off for a moment, noticing the increase in the mediators' presence. That's odd. "They see them as weak puppets, unable to fend for themselves. They do not know the tragedies they are capable of committing."

Terressa leans in closer to Logan, speaking now in a low whisper. "I feel as you do, Logan - that the people of the world are forgetting the scars of the past. But we do not - it is because we are the ones afflicted with those scars. It is easier to forget when an event happened five hundred years before one's birth, and they only live a hundred years or less...even their relatives and parents did not experience the terrors firsthand. But as for us - and others like us - we must have hope for the world, so that even in the most dire times, we will fight for justice, peace, and the good of everyone. I wish more of the world believed such a thing..."
    Morning Star

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

"Seems such a sorry state of affairs. I remember when people went to your people's monasteries, rather than attempt to capture, dissect or observe those frogs. Hopefully I can prevent others from doing the same to the clans, hmm?" Mirabelle says, taking the first sip of her drink. "I really do wish they'd allow something not so clean. I doubt such outbursts from Logan are commonplace from others."

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

North Hall (Tyrene, Gilana):

As Turrince gives an approving nod to Tyrene and Merideth rubs her forehead in attempt to process Gilana's explanation, the air of the crowd has begun to change. The atmosphere no longer feels like the place of a safe and casual mingle, and the two fey notice the various diplomats pausing mid-sentence as if listening, several consulting magic devices. The mediators speak up, "We are informed that a situation is developing in the Astral Plane. Until more details are established we insist that everyone present remain calm and avoid using long-range teleportation or plane shifting." Voices become hushed or concerned, and most eyes turn toward Merideth and Gilana, as most of the North Hall is filled with Verix representatives and a few outsiders from the evil planes. Merideth immediately storms over to Turrince, but before she speaks she gasps as she sees that the drow's face has actually moved, almost entirely changed with worry. "This isn't us, Merideth." He weakly says as he shakily puts on a ring Tyrene had noticed him use for communication with Milquogh the previous day. The two fey sense a growing tide of confusion and fear from the others nearby.

West Hall (Mirabelle):

The genasi chuckles, "If diplomacy was a work of honesty then I'm sure most of the people in this building would be unemployed. Everyone has their own flaws and secrets, and on a national level that leads to the desperate scramble to appear perfect, at least compared to their non-allies." Before Renna can add on to Arillian's response the crowd changes and the mediators make their statement about the Astral Plane's security. Renna immediately snaps to get the attention of the githyanki representative, speaking before he can even frown in annoyance, "No time to give me attitude, Korth. Do you have word on what Tu'Narath knows about the development?" Korth waits a couple of seconds before lifting his finger from over his own communication ring, his eyes showing no softness as he responds. "Unidentified mines were scattered in the Astral Plane a couple of minutes ago. The city is fine, but our forces are pinned while we try to find a gap in the coverage or a way to clear the field. All we know is that the mines force an unstable plane shift on any matter that comes near it, and they aren't expended when triggered. They can even pick off people teleporting at long-range for the brief moment they're in the plane. It would seem that someone seeks war, and we have to figure out who it is."

South Hall (Terressa, Lyra):

Karl smiles with excitement when Lyra gives her analysis, "That's great! If you have time after the conference, would you be willing to assist me with a practical test? I'll make sure the conditions are safe."

Logan smiles and regains his composure, placing a friendly hand on Terressa's back. "Thank you. It's difficult to not feel alone when everyone you grew with the most are long dead. Even when the values I fought for crumble before me over several painstaking centuries."

The people in the south hall go through the same transition from comfort to worry when the mediators spread word of the new development. Logan immediately stands up and pulls out his sword, "Damn them and their plotting. We have to stop this now!" He tells Teressa as he flies around to the east hall, narrowly dodging the mediators who clue in to his intentions and try to tackle him.

------------------------------------------------------------------

BGM

Throughout the entire facility mediators act in unison, producing weapons from mechanized storage within them and leaping upwards. As they jump shattering glass and stone synchronize in a deafening cacophony as gleaming metallic figures burst through the ceiling, the vast majority of them colliding the the mediators who immediately grapple them and attempt to kill them. The remaining figures continue toward the ground at blinding speed, either hitting the ground and coming to a complete stop with no damage to themselves or eviscerating whoever they land on. The new arrivals stand 7 feet tall, looking like knights clad in chromed armor, but the only openings in their armor are bizarrely-shaped and on the sides of their limbs and torso. Their backs have four spikes protruding out to almost their full height, three-sided but missing the bottom side, with small flames emitting from the base within these spikes. Their weaponry are clawed gauntlet part of their armor, which they almost seem to use as a sword or spear instead of proper claws.

North Hall:

Most of the diplomats in this hall barely have a chance to scream before they're slaughtered by the impact of the falling creatures diving claw-first. The two fey and their diplomats are fortunately blocked from the initial angle of entry and are unscathed. The ones not busy fighting stop in their landing points, emitting copious amounts of steam. It is unclear whether the enemy or the mediators have the upper hand in the grappling, but even with representatives fighting with they are outnumbered.

West Hall:

The bizarre knights crash down, but as this hallway is mainly filled with powerful outsiders who are only diplomats part-time, the losses are far less. Renna somehow manages to catch the knight going after her and drive it into the ground with a brilliant counter, and Arillian immediately generates a blast of air that deflects another off course. Korth casts Wings of Cover to block the attack against him, the impact stunning that knight. Mirabelle manages to notice one diving straight at her as her training drives her to react.

South Hall:

Karl dives in front of Lyra and instantly casts Repulsion, forcing three knights to veer off course and either find new targets or crash into walls. Lyra notices that Karl is bleeding profusely from one hand and holding a bloodied enchanted dagger in the other. As Terressa sees the knight charging at her, she notices Frederick running toward her in a panic. He loses his balances as he tries to stop next to her, stumbling between her and the knight. She hears the scream and the sound of flesh tearing as she's knocked back against the wall, regaining her focus to see the knight venting steam while Frederick is still impaled on its arm, spasming and coughing up profuse amounts of blood. The east end of the south hall is doing particularly bad, as the mediators that attempted to stop Logan are caught off guard by the attack and most of them immediately fall to surprise dive. Like the knights in the north hall these ones also emit steam.

Screams of death and combat can be heard from within the conference chamber and the outer halls, but doors are locked with abjurations that only respond to the mediators as part of the emergency protocols.

Spoiler
    Show
    Map

Initiative orders.
    North hall:
    Blitz Knights
    Mediators
    Gilana/Tyrene
    Turrince
    Merideth
    Other Representatives.

West Hall:
    Mirabelle
    Renna
    Blitz Knights
    Arillian
    Korth
    Other representatives
    Mediators

South Hall:
    Karl
    Blitz Knights
    Terressa
    Lyra
    Other representatives
    Mediators

Important Notes:
    The Blitz Knights have expended their round 1 actions ventilating steam for reasons unknown. Everyone has 20% concealment after this point due to it.
    Mirabelle and the rest of the West Hall are still on the surprise round as Mirabelle has the means to act during that time. She'll need to respond to the Blitz Knight on F-28 who is charging her on the surprise round before proceeding to round 1.
    Lyra must make a DC 32 Will save or be unable to move toward Karl when with 5 feet of him for an unspecified time.
    You have your weapons back since you left the conference chamber, so you don't have to worry about pestering a grappled mediator for yours.
    Doors are locked, but it's not like anyone bothers with the Open Lock skill anyways.

Knowledge Checks on new creatures:
    This is probably good to specify, since creatures like the Blitz Knights are new to the setting itself, no one having experience or even rumors about them. These creatures are either complete homebrews by me that I haven't published, or existing creatures with extensive changes. Either way no height of knowledge check is going to get you their stat block, but their capabilities and other important details can be determined through rolling checks. Generally it's best to roll knowledge on a creature with every category you have trained, since while the check most accurate to them will provide the most information, details specific to the other knowledge categories can sometimes be gained through these venues.

Ritual magic capabilities for this encounter:
    Lyra can spend a Full-round action that provokes an attack of opportunity to inscribe the base ritual rune in a one-square area. Then a spell can either be inscribed into it as a full-round action to augment it (the full effect is still unknown, but the spell can be cast immediately as long as the caster is in contact with the inscription), or the caster can simply stand on the rune and cast a spell if they're inherently familiar with summoning magic (only Karl and Lyra can do this right now, though Terressa can attempt it after observing either of them do it). Inscribing the spell directly will have greater returns than simply channeling the base inscription through regular casting.
    Last edited by Aldurin; 2014-04-09 at 02:45 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Lyra had been about to respond when the sudden attack came, forcing her to abort that course of action. She'd never really considered herself much of a fighter. She'd cast her spells in defense before, and won a few mage-duel tourneys to boot, but battle was hardly her passion or her purpose.

What she did have was something of a fondness for the study of magical tactics, and enough raw personal power to typically get the job done a couple times over.

She did hesitate briefly, trying to orient herself in the sudden steam, to try and figure out what these creatures were or what they could do, but she forced herself to focus on that question in the background. She grimaced slightly as the repulsion went up; she couldn't deny its value to their defense, but it also would make it harder for the others to get closer if they needed healing.

Nonetheless, healing would be having to wait regardless. Healing was not Lyra's current concern. Anger flared up within her at these creatures who would dare attack a peace conference.

Out went her arms, whipping to both sides as she whirled around. The air around her rippled weirdly, as if the very concept of space in her vicinity were being hotly debated. Standing nearby, Karl might feel the air around her suddenly heat up intensely.

"Endless realms of light and fire, fill this hall with flame!" she intoned, and the rippling energy rushed out from her, briefly tearing something like a dozen holes in the very air throughout the hall. Flame burst from those unstable portals, exploding in all directions. To an observer, it would appear the entire hall was consumed in an inferno, but closer observation would reveal the flames swirling around the mediators and members of the conference, while scorching their attackers.

Nor was her assault limited to a mere inferno. As she halted her spin, she stamped her left foot hard, raising her right hand high with a flourish, and another portal, forty feet in diameter, opened up above her head, dropping hundreds of pounds of rubble upon every enemy beneath it, regardless of any attempts to dodge.

An instant later, the portals vanished, the matter and energy they had disgorged dissolving into harmless ectoplasm.

Spoiler
    Show
    Standard Action: Cast Firestorm. I have thirty 20' cubes and it looks like there's around thirty enemies (or squares occupied by at least one enemy) in the southern hall, so shouldn't be hard to hit all of them. Looks like I can hit all enemies from K54 on right. Deals (16d6+52)[116] damage, half fire, half divine energy fire damage (why is my memory just not working?). They get a DC 26 Reflex save for half. If they have SR, I'll leave it to you, but note that Lyra rolls at +23 (base CL 15, +1 CL for Ioun Stone, +7 penetration for Dent Resistance). That's a 7th level spell slot.

EDIT: No. I'm wrong. Shapeable spells have to be contiguous. One minute while I check who I can actually hit...
    EDIT 2: Bar it, I'll make it an 8th level slot to add Widen to it. 30 20' cubes should definitely be enough...
    EDIT 3: Nope, STILL wrong, can't Widen a spell that uses cubes. Bah. Okay, calculating...done, K54 and every enemy east of him.

Swift Action: Cast Sculpted (20' Radius), Widened, Quickened Hail of Stone. Resulting 40' radius is centered on AA:AB 48:49, so it should hit all enemies from the guy in U53 to the BF guy. Targets take (12d4+52)[76] physical bludgeoning damage, which is subject to DR, but not to SR, nor is a save allowed. That spell has Arcane Thesis, so total spell level is 1 + 0 Sculpt +0 Widen (thanks to Warmage Spell Widening) +3 Quicken = 4.

Discriminating Spell allows allies (everyone who isn't a Blitz Knight) to avoid all damage.

Warmage Spells: 6/9/8/7/7/8/7/5/4.
    Healer Spells: 6/9/8/6/8/8/6/6/4.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2014-04-09 at 06:16 PM.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

16. - Top - End - #46

When the screaming starts Tyrene is almost overwhelmed by a sense of elation. She has missed those sounds. But then she realizes that she is threatened. That was almost as long ago. She looks at the strange creatures, there is something peculiar about them, there aren't many creatures that she has never seen in her centuries of life. And that triggers the sirene's curiosity. She wants one of these creatures, to know how it works, and of course, if she is particularly lucky, she might even get to find out if they know anything.

But first things first, these creatures dare to attack her and cause plenty of damage, so they are dangerous. Tyrene's first instinct is to summon her servants, but she fears that that will take too much time, and several of them are too close for comfort. She cannot kill them all, not at the same time and certainly not without causing complications. But she also wants to avoid becoming a target, by betraying great power. That would not end well, or so she fears. Tyrene looks around, there aren't any reliable allies nearby. A cruel smile appears on her lips as she begins to sing. The music has an ethereal beauty, and fills the hall with its sounds. There however is more than mere beauty in it, and those opposing the strange creatures feel a new strength pervading them.

While singing she looks at one of these attackers and holds out her hand towards it. Purple threads run through the air from her hand and connect to the creature.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    So, Tyrene uses inspire courage after casting Inspirational Boost and activating her badge of valor for a total bonus of +4.

Melodic casting allows her to cast a spell while using this, and she goes for finger of death against the Blitz Knight in Y6. This is DC 34 vs death, and otherwise (3d6+22)[32] damage.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Mirabelle watches with fascination as these creatures drop down. One on each mediator, and then additional ones to subdue or exterminate the diplomats? These seemed like military tactics. Well-informed military tactics. She watches as one drops towards her, taking one last sip of her drink before setting it down on the ground. She waves at it, before crouching, blending into the hall. She pulls her rapier out, and hums, the blade itself turning bright and long, and stabs at the knight.

Spoiler
    Show
    Surprise Round One: Hide. Rolls in OOC.
    Surprise Round Two: Using Streak of Lightning. One attack turns into lightning damage, gains 10 ft. reach, and instantly blinds someone until the beginning of my next round.

I'll be using Lesson for this.
    Streak of Lightning attack: (1d20+24)[40]
    Critical threat of 15-20. Rolling to confirm if applicable: (1d20+31)[37]
    If critical: Foe must make DC 23 Will Save or frightened for [roll]1d6[/roll rounds.
    If critical: I renew Streak of Lightning.
    Streak of Lightning damage: (1d8+16)[19]
    Sneak Attack if applicable: (8d6)[26]

Will wait to see results before taking my real turn.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Mirabelle:

The knight switches its stance for a landing when Mirabelle vanishes to it. Her weapon strikes deep in the knight, and she notices that the blood coming from it seems extremely thin and very light-colored. The knight fails its landing and instead meets the ground with the face of its blank helm.

Spoiler
    Show
    The crit confirms and the damage goes through! You can't tell if the knight is affected by any of your conditions. Take your round 1 action now since you rule the initiative ladder. The knight you stabbed is in E-27 now.
    Last edited by Aldurin; 2014-04-09 at 08:29 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

"Disappointing." Mirabelle says, spitting on the fallen knight. She feels her maneuver, the energy, seeping from him to her. She takes note of the blood, before turning her attention to the the knights attacking Arillian and Renna. She lashes out again with her rapier, the same lightning pouring from it, striking Arillian's attacker. She pulls on her belt, granting her extra momentum, and feels savagery fill her mind. She dashes towards Renna's attacker, rapier slashing and claw rending.

Spoiler
    Show
    Standard: Streak of Lightning on BK in I-28.
    Streak of Lightning attack: (1d20+24)[31]
    Critical threat of 15-20. Rolling to confirm if applicable: (1d20+31)[34]
    Streak of Lightning damage: (1d8+16)[22]
    Sneak Attack: (8d6)[38]

Swift: Using Belt of Battle to gain Full-Round Action.

Full-Round Action: Using Pouncing Charge on BK in I-25. Land in I-26.

Full-Attack with Pounce, using Lesson (Critical Threat 15-20) and a Clawed Gauntlet (Critical Threat 19-20).
    Lesson:
    Attack: (1d20+24)[27]
    Critical Confirmation: (1d20+31)[34]
    Damage: (1d8+16)[24]
    Sneak Attack: (8d6)[35]
    Attack: (1d20+19)[21]
    Critical Confirmation: (1d20+26)[32]
    Sneak Attack: (8d6)[18]
    Attack: (1d20+14)[29]
    Critical Confirmation: (1d20+21)[30]
    Sneak Attack: (8d6)[20]

Clawed Gauntlet:
    Attack: (1d20+24)[25]
    Critical Confirmation: (1d20+31)[45]
    Damage: (1d4+14)[16]
    Sneak Attack: (8d6)[23]
    Attack: (1d20+19)[39]
    Critical Confirmation: (1d20+26)[31]
    Damage: (1d4+14)[16]
    Sneak Attack: (8d6)[22]
    Attack: (1d20+14)[23]
    Critical Confirmation: (1d20+21)[22]
    Damage: (1d4+14)[18]
    Sneak Attack: (8d6)[26]

If any criticals occur, target must make DC 23 Will save or be Frightened for 1d6 rounds, for each critical.
    If any criticals occur, I renew one maneuver each time. In which case, I renew Streak of Lightning, and then Pouncing Charge.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Gilana can't help but close her eyes in disappointment at Meredith's answer. The mediator's warning pushes those thoughts, as the slaughter begins they are practically forgotten. It had been too long since she had last seen so much red flow out of fallen bodies. No elegance, no reason, simply a slaughter. This was wrong, but she needed time. Pushing herself, she takes it.

The slaughter had to stop, that was the first step. She glides next to one of the stopped knights and looks over it. Shaking her head, she pushes herself further. She needed a distraction, something that would draw these things out as a threat. Let the things focus on that and leave those unarmed aside. She could only hope they thought as she did as she sculpts her beast. She was almost lost in the act, drawing more power then is safe from her reserve. A misstep could cost here dearly, but it was such a thrill, such a... no, not now, the beast. A large, translucent render appears not moving yet, like those around it.

A nod, she glides back and splits a small part of her mind away. Save as many as she could, stop these creatures. That was all she wanted now. Lastly, she drew the blade that won her banishment. It would be useful now, used for a better purpose.

As time returned, she flew forward, calling at the other representative in front of her. "If you can not fight" With a certain degree of grace, she tries to ignore the steam and cut through the knight. Two swipes and she glides back. "Then please get behind me." The render, similarly, begins to maul its foes.

A quick glance, and an opaque sphere surrounds another one. She hovers a few inches from the ground, her sword drawn and pointed at the nearest foe. As if daring them to come.

Show
    Gilana
    Swift: Temporal Acceleration (15pp, 2 rounds)
    [
    - Swift 1: Hustle (5pp, Crown), Move to AJ10
    - Round 1: Astral Construct (9th, 17pp, Wild Surge +2)
    Menu Options are Rend, Muscle, Extra Attack, Huge with reach 15ft, it appears centered in AS9
    - Standard 2: Schism (7pp)
    - Move 2: Return to AE9
    ]
    Full Attack: Bounding Assault on AC5 then return to AB9
    Tyrene's Song taken into account
    - Longsword (1d20+33)[34]
    - Damage (1d8+19)[26] + (4d6)[9] Skirmish
    - Concealment (1d100)[96]
    - Longsword (1d20+28)[35]
    - Damage (1d8+19)[26] + (4d6)[16] Skirmish
    - Concealment (1d100)[90]
    Schism: Wall of Ectoplasm (7pp) to create a Sphere around the Blitz Knight in AL5, locking him in.

Astral Construct
    Full Attack on Blitz Knight in AW7. If it dies, attacks go to AR7:
    - Claw Attack 1 (1d20+30)[47]
    - Damage (2d6+18)[24]
    - Concealment (1d100)[27]
    - Claw Attack 2 (1d20+30)[47]
    - Damage (2d6+18)[28]
    - Concealment (1d100)[83]
    - Claw Attack 3 (1d20+30)[39]
    - Damage (2d6+18)[26]
    - Concealment (1d100)[9]
    If 2 Hit
    Rend
    Damage (4d6+27)[38]

AC 40, 20% Concealment, Sidestep Charge
    HP 151, DR 7/Cold Iron
    226/270 pp

EDIT: Gilana is currently Shaken after the Temporal Acceleration, so the attack rolls would be 32 and 33.
    Last edited by Ryuuk; 2014-04-10 at 01:36 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

Wincing, Terressa was caught off guard not only by the attack, but also by Frederick's actions. Too soon for you, young one... is all she can think, seeing him impaled on the strange steam-creature's claw. Yet another future cut short by senseless violence...she could do naught but step back.

That was when her demeanor shifted dramatically, and magic began to whirl rapidly about her. Scintillating lights wound around her, culminating at the peak of her horn; shortly after, green and yellow sparks began to fall and swirl about as if caught in some invisible wind. In a flash, her body separated into a series of identical images, each warded by a plane of force. She had performed this maneuver many times before, but after so many centuries, it almost felt foreign. The rush of magic had left her momentarily speechless as she surveyed the situation more carefully, noting where enemies and allies were located, including poor Frederick and his attacker/killer. That one will be the first to fall.

Spoiler
    Show

5-foot step to 49,AF and cast Arcane Spellsurge (standard action).
    Cast Arcane Fusion (swift action).
    Cast Shield (1st level) and Maximized Mirror Image (4th level) using Arcane Fusion.

Just a reminder - I have a Contingency set up to trigger Celerity if anything takes a hostile action towards me

Buffs:
    Arcane Spellsurge (16 rounds remain)
    Shield (16 minutes remain)
    Mirror Image (16 minutes remain, 8 images remain)

Spell slots remaining:
    Cleric: 5/3/3/2
    Sorc: 6/10/10/10/9/8/9/6
    Morning Star

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

North Hall:

The mediators continue to struggle with their opponents, many manage to overpower and finish off their knights with brutal force while a few others have their machinery eviscerated. Tyrene feels the threads of death give a satisfying tug on the knight, which collapses to the ground. Meanwhile the Astral Construct and Gilana tear away at their targets. The nymph connects with her second strike and the construct hits with its first two, though both knights remain standing, bleeding profusely. Turrince pulls out two wands, shoving one into Merideth's hand as he activates the other. "It's the same spell, we need to make sure the others get through!" As he activates the wand one of the knights becomes trapped in a sphere of force, and Merideth does the same on another (Spellcraft DC 19 to identify the spells as Resilient Sphere). The four representatives nearby quickly duck over to the door before using their own wands, casting one buff for the group (Spellcraft DC 18 for Haste), one debilitation on the nearby knights (Spellcraft DC 18 for Slow), and two offensive spells (DC 17 Desiccating Bubble and DC 18 Lightning Bolt). The knight affected by the bubble suddenly ceases to produce steam and flame, and begins to convulse. The knights move in toward the group, barring the one still convulsing from the desiccation, but the slowing effect keeps them from being able to attack. The ectoplasmic wall breaks as the knight it trapped tears through it with its claws. The nearby mediators that have won their fights move in to flank the knights moving in on the group, while the others do their best to protect the others. Almost every visible knight is heavily wounded at this point. As the fight continues Logan comes around the east corner, drawn blade glowing as he spots the group and begins to redden even more from rage.

Spoiler
    Show
    Updated initiative count:
    Blitz Knights
    Mediators
    Gilana/Tyrene
    Logan
    Turrince
    Merideth
    Other Representatives.

You have Haste for 5 rounds.

West Hall:

Mirabelle manages to land her lightning attack on the knight attacking Arillian before making short work of the one Renna has pinned to the ground. "Thanks, but I don't know how well this will go. We need to get the mediators to help us clear an evacuation route if we can't get a better option." The githzerai quickly says before she runs over to Korth and caves in the helm of the knight he deflected. The knights begin venting steam and obscuring the hall, but Arillian casts Control Winds and creates a small tornado on one of the knights that draws in the steam. Korth draws an ornate gith-style bastard sword and kills one of the nearby knights in a grapple. The other outsiders begin casting Plane Shift, "Don't, that isn't safe!" Korth yells at them before they vanish, just leaving Mirabelle and her new friends in a battlefield of machinery and armor. Unfortunately more of the knights in this hallway have a better success with their grappling, and have killed their mediators before venting their own steam.

Spoiler
    Show
    The downside of outsiders is that they don't care all that much about the material plane in the first place, and can be arrogant about planar travel.

Mirabelle's second claw attack was a crit.

South Hall:

Filling the hall with stone and fire does the trick. The spells wipe out the nearby knights and weakening the others enough for the mediators to win their grappling, with the additional effect of the burst of fire burning away most of the steam. The other survivors quickly make it over to the door, though the only one that seems remotely prepared for combat is a half-elf who blinks over from the south-east corner before standing ready to fight with the group. Lyra and Terressa recognize him as Gorheim, the Hirthigar representative, and notice that he is almost completely covered with incarnum effects. Karl loses his balance and collapses, almost unconscious from the blood loss. Lyra feels him dismiss the Repulsion effect as he tries to speak, "I . . . I can stop this. Get . . . me in the . . . conference chamber . . ." The surviving knights move in or enter the east hallway, but the mediators manage to block most of them approaching the south group. The one holding Frederick lunges at Terressa with its free arm while the diplomat continues to bleed and slowly die.

Spoiler
    Show
    I guess I should have been clearer. Frederick is very injured, but not dead. The BF knight triggers Terressa's contingency.

Karl has a plan that can stop the assault if he gets into the conference chamber while conscious, though he'll need help moving in his current state.

Map is updated. The key on the right has new information.
    Last edited by Aldurin; 2014-04-15 at 01:05 AM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Lyra grimaced at the extent of the damage that Karl caused himself. "If we live through this, remind me to give you a talk about energy management," she told him with an only-half-forced grin. A word and a gesture opened up a shining white portal, positive energy pouring down on those nearby, healing any injured.

"Paths to realms beyond the Astral, tear apart this space!" she intoned, briefly summoning forth an emerald gate - right upon the door. The unstable portal lasted only a moment, but as a hole in the fabric of reality, nothing physical could exist where it did. Unless the abjurations on the door were beefy enough to withstand the assault, when the portal closed, there would be nothing left but a small pile of dust. Because Lyra's a firm believer in "do what I say, not what I do."

Then she belt down to help Karl to his feet as best she could. "You two, support him and follow me!" she ordered two of the nearby representatives, frankly not caring who or what rank they were. If there were more enemies in there, it would be a lot harder to fight them with the half-dead mage leaning on her for support, and her armor frankly slowed her enough.

Spoiler
    Show
    Swift Action: Quickened Mass Cure Light Wounds, definitely on Frederick, also Karl (not that it can work, but that's just how she is), and then the thirteen most injured allies she can get (all have to be within 60' of each other), prioritizing those who look combat-capable. (8d8+68)[94] healing. Anyone who is healed of at least half their HD in damage receive any "overflow" healing as temporary hit points.

Standard Action: Disintegrate on the door. 'Nuff said.

Move Action (?): Help Frederick up.

Warmage Spells: 6/9/8/7/7/8/6/5/4.
    Healer Spells: 6/9/8/6/8/8/6/6/3.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2014-04-15 at 03:45 AM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

24. - Top - End - #54

Tyrene almost screams with joy when the Blitz Knight dies to her magic, she loves the feeling of power combined with death. She however keeps singing although the notes become more joyous. She looks at her surroundings, she is safe for now. Although, a new attack can come at any moment. But then, running around the corner she sees a true threat. Logan, the paladin. He is coming for her, she knows that. He will create a situation, where no one is watches, and then he will strike. She must be ready for this. And then, she will create the situation, and the paladin will be the one to suffer an accident, or maybe even just disappear. She can always accuse these attackers, that will be a believable lie. But first, first she will have to protect herself.

The sirene makes a pirhouette as she weaves a cloth through the air. The cloth expands as it flies through the air and at the and of her movement she places it on the ground in front of her. It however is no ordinary fabric, when one looks at it ripple through the air it can be seen that one side is water, but it won't flow out, it simply remains there, just beneath the surface of the cloth. One side is simply cloth, the other however seems to almost be a pit filled with dark water. When it comes to a stop at its full size several towering figures start to climb out, throwing the nearest body of one of the knights into the water.

Show
    Tyrene uses no spells this turn, but she does keep up the singing and opens her Enveloping Pit, covering X7, X8, Y7 and Y8. The juju zombie storm giants start climbing out, of course collecting blitz knight bodies as they go. One goes in V4 to X6 and the second Y4 to AA6(they take nine squares each). If I should roll for initiative for them they will have: (1d20+14)[29]

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

"Your only virtue is that there are many of you to suffer." Mirabelle says, switching her positioning, her footwork propelling her into many places at once, her form seeming to put her on both sides of peripheral vision. She moves, circling around the Knight facing Arillian, and then to nearby Blitz Knight and its grappled mediator, and the Blitz Knight near them. Her rapier turns to lightning once again, and she lashes out.

Spoiler
    Show
    Swift Action: I enter Voice of Thunder stance. Until the beginning of the next round, all squares I enter/exit I'm still considered to occupy, for purposes of flanking.
    Move Action: I tumble for this. Rules Compendium states I can add 10 to the DC of a Tumble Check to move at full speed, which makes it a DC 25 to avoid AoOs for what I'm doing. Adding in +2 or +4 to that due to the DC scaling for tumbling past multiple enemies puts this at 27/29, which I can auto-succeed with my Tumble Check: (1d20+33)[52]
    Move Action: In order of my movement from square to square: I-25 -> I-25 -> H-24 -> G-25 -> F-26 -> F-27 -> E-26 -> D-26. I'm considered to occupy all of these squares for purpose of flanking with allies, and the stance itself rules I can flank with myself using this stance.
    Standard Action: Attacking BK in E-27 with Streak of Lightning on Lesson. He's considered flanked. Critical Threaten on 15-20.
    Attack Roll: (1d20+26)[45]
    Crit Confirmation: (1d20+33)[38]
    IF CRIT: DC 23 or be Frightened.
    IF CRIT: I recover Pouncing Charge.
    Damage: (1d8+16)[21]
    Sneak Attack: (8d6)[32]

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

At was all happening fast. She lets Tyrene's song course through her, in a way it was more fulfilling then then a surge, but there was little time to bask in it. They were better positioned now, and able to defend themselves, that was good. There was just one more isolated representative, save him, stop the two that reached the group and... She had to take the right flank and trust that the others could take her current foe. A moment of focus to pierce through the steam and she begins to weave through the knights and mediators. She attacks in a graceful flurry.

Part way through it, she sends a simple command to her creation. Stop the intruders, protect them both It continues as before, trying to tear the knights apart.

Show
    Gilana
    Free: Tumble 1: (1d20+39)[56] vs DC 40, Tumble 2: (1d20+39)[43] vs DC 40, if successful, 2 10ft steps to AE9
    Free: Flanker (Elocater), Designate AE8, flanking the Blitz Knight in AD9
    Schism: Manifest Touchsight (5pp, Ignore concealment, detect everything within 60ft as if by touch)
    Full Attack: 4d6 Skirmish, Tyrene's Song, Haste taken into account
    - Longsword 1 (1d20+34)[37]
    - Damage (1d8+19)[22] + (4d6)[10] Skirmish
    - Haste Longsword (1d20+34)[48]
    - Damage (1d8+19)[21] + (4d6)[8] Skirmish
    - Longsword 2 (1d20+29)[31]
    - Damage (1d8+19)[23] + (4d6)[19] Skirmish
    - Longsword 3 (1d20+24)[25]
    - Damage (1d8+19)[21] + (4d6)[12] Skirmish

NOTE: Attacks against the Blitz Knight in AE10, if it drops, the remaining attacks will go to the Knight in AD9.

If the last attack still leaves them standing:
    SWift: Activate Power Storing, Crystal Shard on the damaged target
    - Crystal Shard (1d20+27)[40] (Touch)
    - Damage (5d6+1)[23] + (4d6)[15] Skirmish

Astral Construct
    Full Attack on Blitz Knight in AW7. If it dies, attacks go to AR7:
    - Claw Attack 1 (1d20+30)[37]
    - Damage (2d6+18)[22]
    - Concealment (1d100)[100]
    - Claw Attack 2 (1d20+30)[40]
    - Damage (2d6+18)[25]
    - Concealment (1d100)[48]
    - Claw Attack 3 (1d20+30)[42]
    - Damage (2d6+18)[27]
    - Concealment (1d100)[3]
    If 2 Hit
    Rend
    Damage (4d6+27)[43]

Note: It should be Huge sized, with corners in AT8, AV8, AT10 and AV10. Just noting this in case it becomes relevant later. Also, I'm not sure on the steam situation, so I'm assuming here's still some in the North just to be safe.

AC 41, 20% Concealment, Sidestep Charge
    HP 151, DR 7/Cold Iron
    221/270 pp

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

As the mechanical knight lunges towards Terressa, her contingency spell fires off and her reflexes greatly increase. Time seems to bend just for her, as if it were her steward. In those few extra seconds, she notices that her diplomat is still alive, and a sense of even greater urgency grips her. She utters the words of power for another spell, and mumbles to herself just before launching the spell. "Don't die on me, Frederick...!"

Spoiler
    Show

Casting Empowered Maximized Orb of Fire at the knight impaling Fred:
    (1d20+14)[29] ranged touch attack for 132 Fire damage, DC 29 Fort or be stunned (probably doesn't apply (unless it hits fred (please dice don't let it hit fred ))).
    (1d20+26)[33] Concentration check to avoid AoOs

Buffs:
    Arcane Spellsurge (15 rounds remain)
    Shield (15.9 minutes remain)
    Mirror Image (15.9 minutes remain, 8 images remain)

Spell slots remaining:
    Sorc: 6/10/10/10/9/8/8/6

After celerity wears off, I'll be dazed for 1 round. The buff durations above take into account that I'll be dazed for the round.
    Morning Star

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

North Hall:

Tyrene's zombie giants get into position, grabbing four knight corpses and throwing them into the water. Gilana's blade cuts down the first knight she targets, but her next two strikes glance off of the armor before the Crystal Shard attack finishes it off. The astral construct manages to connect with two claws and tears its target knight into two pieces. "DIE, ABOMINATION!" Logan shouts as he flies over the construct and toward the group, procuring a holy symbol with his free hand as a bolt of white lightning rumbles arcs from him to Tyrene (Spellcraft DC 22 to identify as Destruction). The startling attack creates a panick among the representatives, a few of them dropping their wands while Turrince and Merideth keep theirs, but fail to impede Logan with Resilient Sphere. The mediators nearby are too occupied fighting knights to intervene on Logan, the tide beginning to turn against them at each end of the hall. The last representative on the west side falls and the one on the east side manages to scurry to the door, notably flinching as he passes under Logan. "Stop this! It's not them, we're all in danger and need to work together to get out of this!" Merideth pleads to Logan. The screams beyond the outer doors cease, and a moment later the doors cave outward as several loud thuds come from each one. It looks like they're about to break.

Spoiler
    Show
    The juju zombies use Tyrene's initiative since they follow her orders. The steam has mostly faded from the north hall, so the concealment is gone.

Tyrene must pass a DC 28 Fortitude save or die. (10d6)[37] damage if the save is successful.

West Hall:

Mirabelle's movements allow her to navigate across the hallway before tearing through another knight. As her movements chain almost perfectly she feels her focus retract away from reality momentarily, and her vision blurring. No, actually memories of the same motion overlapping. From training with Reshar, to the wars after his passing and even recent practices, the visions align so that the only thing connecting them is the movement of the weapon in her hand, in each memory she notices Reshar somehow beside her, even in the memory where Reshar is also in front of her during her training, looking at the her weapon and then at her. "Why do you continue to hold back?" He asks. But then her focus jarringly snaps back as the slain knight in front of her is still falling toward the ground. Around her the battle continues but she finds difficulty finding the information she needs from the noise. The events around her barely register. The mediator she stands next to manages to wrestle apart the knight it holds, only to break apart as another knight stabs it from behind. Korth helps another mediator out of a grapple, but immediately gets rushed down by two more from the north as they begin to pour in. The blood sounds heavy hitting the floor. Arillian shouts something that Mirabelle's lapse of focus keeps her from hearing, and she senses a tearing of stone and wood rumbling through the ground as she realizes the door to the chamber has fallen away from them. The doors in the distance make the same noise, but far fainter as they still barely stand. Her instincts urge her to notice the encroaching groups of knights are beginning to tip the numbers in their favor.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mirabelle can now undertake the difficult pursuit of the Universe Edge path, which allows her to make use of ritual magic-equivalent maneuvers built off of her existing martial expertise. For now, this advancement can only be made during combat when she has visions from Reshar.

Make a DC 25 Will save or be dazed for 1 round if Mirabelle decides to reject the visions for now. If she decides to try to understand them during the fight, then she must make a DC 35 concentration check. Success will grant Mirabelle access to the first step of Universe Edge, failure will mean that she loses a move action in the next round. The concentration check can be retried each round if it is failed.

South Hall:

Terressa's spell kills the knight attacking her, which falls backwards as Frederick slips off of its arm. He hits the ground, unmoving, and upon a glance clearly has internal organ damage, blood loss and severe scalding from the steam. Fortunately the door to the conference chamber yields to the Disintegrate, revealing a grisly scene. The large room is now in shambles, with dead representatives, mediators and knights scattered around the room. In the center stands the main mediator that handled the primary moderation earlier, arms partially retracted to reveal long cannons that he aims around the room at the ready. The only surviving representatives are hunched down next to him, their faces those of broken spirits as they stare with fear at the denser congregation of dead knights near them. "Get the noncombatants inside!" It shouts over to the doorway as the survivors pour in, two of them helping Karl walk toward the center of the room. In the hall itself the turmoil continues. The mediators on the west end are cleaning up, but with less contestation on the east side the knights begin to push through. Gorheim goes in to assist, cutting down one of the knights with his Incarnum-boosted longsword. "Mage, go help the survivors! I'll hold the line for you!" He shouts to Lyra. The outer doors go through the same strain as the ones visible from the north hall.

Spoiler
    Show
    Lyra can change last round's move action to follow Karl into the chamber.

Map

29. - Top - End - #59

Logan's assault stops Tyrene's singing although the song still waves the full force of the spell away. She falls to her knees while turning to face the paladin, blood running over her face. The serene mask is gone, now it shows pure hatred and loathing. She breathes heavily, obviously hurt, not only physically, but also mentally. Where does this upstart get the idea to even try to harm her? The other attackers don't matter anymore, only Logan. He will suffer for what he did, he simply cannot be allowed to survive. She shouts, her voice filled with rage while retaining its beauty: "You! You will serve me through eternity! Your blood will taste sweetly to my lips and your soul will find eternal torture. Know this, little human, the only life of all those you hold dear will be pain. The last they see shall be you wretching their heads off, with a grand smile!"

She gets back to her feet and runs towards Logan, weaving a spell. At the same time almost a dozen wet undead ravens emerge from the pit, flyinf towards her and crushing themselves to the floor at her feet. When they do so there is a burst of darkness, healing Tyrene's wounds. She strikes at the paladin with her taloned fingers, letting her magic run through them.

Show
    Tyrene uses the headband of conscious effort to turn the save into a skill check, which she automatically passes. She then moves towards AJ8 while casting greater harm and a quickened Death Ward against further such attacks. Eleven of the zombie ravens fly from the pit, crushing themselves while Tyrene reaches Logan. Each of them does 1d6 negative energy damage in a 10' area. Also hitting the paladin. For each of the eleven attacks he will have to make a dc15 reflex save for half damage.
    Tyrene's healing: (11d6)[40]
    Logan's damage(dc15 half): [rollv]11d6[roll]
    So, this will be a bit of a spamming attack, using quite a few of Tyrene's abilities. First of all she uses smite good, this will be the best opportunity for that one. It is a mere touch attack, so the atack roll will be: (1d20+48)[57]. The damage inflicted will be a little more complex. She has cast Greater harm, dealing 300 negative energy damage(fort dc 34 half), (1d4)[2] intelligence damage, she also does the charnel touch damage of (1d8+16)[19] negative energy damage, and 15 extra damage from the smite good. For good measure she also uses enervating touch to drain two levels(DC 33 to remove).

Of course, her fear aura is on, but I presume that Logan will be immune to it anyways. Otherwise it is a dc33 will save vs shaken.
    Last edited by Raunchel; 2014-04-22 at 07:57 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Seeing Frederick freed from the knight's weapon-arm, she bows her head and touches her horn to his arm. She chants ancient and powerful words in the blink of an eye, and some of her power is sapped by the magic invoked. "Please, don't be dead," she mutters as the spell completes, and creeping white lights fly over Frederick's body, seeking to mend flesh and bone. She gently picks him up and hustles inside the main halls, careful to avoid the other representatives.

Spoiler
    Show

SWIFT: Casting Limited Wish to imitate the effects of a Cure Critical Wounds spell for (4d8+16)[24] HP.

MOVE: Pick up Frederick (he + his gear weighs less than 464 lbs right? ), if I need to make some rolls here let me know - I assumed I didn't, because he'd probably be willing or helpless. ...or an object, if he's dead.

STANDARD: Move to (40, AD) with Freddie in tow

Buffs:
    Arcane Spellsurge (14 rounds remain)
    Shield (15.8 minutes remain)
    Mirror Image (15.8 minutes remain, 8 images remain)

Spell slots remaining:
    Sorc: 6/10/10/10/9/8/7/3

-300 XP (104,700 xp, making me 14 level - I won't be spending any more XP this combat, so I'll assume I'll be back at 15 if/when we succeed. Spell levels etc. don't change for a sorc from 14 -> 15, just spells/day)
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2014-04-22 at 07:50 AM.
    Morning Star