New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: World of Tanks IV: We're on Fire!

I just had the stupidest thing I've seen in a long time happen in a random battle. I killed a T29 with a Churchill I. We were on the main hill on Mines, I was keeping him spotted for my team to take him out. He must not have had the top gun because he wasn't hitting me for much damage. He got me down to 200 hp and tracked me. That was when he decided to ram, not paying attention to his own low health. The damage I caused to his tank from the ram killed him and I survived.
    Thanks for the Kamikaze medal, random T29 player!

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

I heard patch 9.0 is slated to hit sometime next month, together with HD models, more physics and historical battles.

Seems like WarThunder is incentivising World of Tanks to improve.
    Last edited by Grif; 2014-03-31 at 12:58 PM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by leafman View Post
    I just had the stupidest thing I've seen in a long time happen in a random battle. I killed a T29 with a Churchill I. We were on the main hill on Mines, I was keeping him spotted for my team to take him out. He must not have had the top gun because he wasn't hitting me for much damage. He got me down to 200 hp and tracked me. That was when he decided to ram, not paying attention to his own low health. The damage I caused to his tank from the ram killed him and I survived.
    Thanks for the Kamikaze medal, random T29 player!
    I got my Expert: Japan badge with a Kamikaze. Our team had basically folded (everyone but my platoon went valley on Karelia and achieved both sod and all between them), and I'd been engaged with an STB-1 on the other flank. When I figured out we had no chance I went full YOLO at him, he cliffdived into one of the holes on the left of the map to try and get away and I all but jumped onto him.

4. - Top - End - #124

Everything i have seen from the test server looks good.

Tho that there is only 2 maps available for the 3 current HBs is a lil boring.
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

5. - Top - End - #125

Right, so the TOG launches on the xbox tomorrow.

So, imagine a tank-starved forum of WoT players. That have been sitting around watching Mighty Jingles.

I'm playing artillery for the next few days.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Right, so the TOG launches on the xbox tomorrow.

So, imagine a tank-starved forum of WoT players. That have been sitting around watching Mighty Jingles.

I'm playing artillery for the next few days.
    Do premium tanks that cost gold exist on the XBL version?

Given the typical nature of XBL-ers, combined with the WoT playbase's general attitude towards SPGs, is your inbox ready for that amount of hatemail?

7. - Top - End - #127

Karl!!!!

And my best Score on Crayfish was 23253 at Tier 9
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

8. - Top - End - #128
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

WG goes overboard every year, but this time they went all the way with two minigames

I'm pleased with historical battles and I expect to play them with Panther M10. Having so few battles with few maps at this point is reasonable, since player base needs to "find" them. Since tank modules and ammo load outs are set, we probably don't see some of the vehicles allowed. As it is now, most people are playing high tier vehicles. Russians will want 122mm and 152mm guns to counter big cats, Germans want stuff that can penetrate IS, and Americans will need 76- and 90mm guns.

After taking a rather long break I'm back and playing with pretty much everything between tier 2 and 8. I plan to complete the monthly missions to grab the free T2 LT. My 75% WR for the day proves unquestionably that MM is rigged, especially since I played poorly .

9. - Top - End - #129

Flumph

It's finally over....

Spoiler
    Show

And you know now I have a tier 8 with 155 AP pen that gets tier 10 in half its games because MM after that it dont even bother me.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Do premium tanks that cost gold exist on the XBL version?
    Yes, they exist (within the limits of the Xbox's lesser tank selection). I don't have any experience with them because I don't want to spend real money, tho.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2014-04-01 at 03:19 PM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

11. - Top - End - #131

I wish Serbs ugly mug would get removed from those stat counters as soon as possible
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

12. - Top - End - #132

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    I wish Serbs ugly mug would get removed from those stat counters as soon as possible
    You don't like the new SerB scale for stats? I hear it took many hours of development.

13. - Top - End - #133

No, Serb is a detriment to the game.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

14. - Top - End - #134

Always fun to show up a bunch of T7s in a T5. Re-Mastered my T49 with a 3546 Exp on Daily Double (5kills and 1800ish damage)

2 games in a row where i almost got a Top Gun but just couldn't land the hit that would have made it so (other was a High Caliber game in my KV-1)
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

15. - Top - End - #135

I finally decided to give this game a try, so I started playing a few weeks ago during the new player weekend. I like it so far, and I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. I do have a few questions though that maybe someone can answer.

- Is there a faster way of earning crew experience with accelerated crew training turned on? I seem to only earn enough points to advance one of them by one percent per battle. Or, at least, it seems like it.

- Why is the T18 so popular? I frequently face enemy teams that are 75% composed of them. On that same note, why does the match-making program do that, and then make my team all light tanks to fight them?

- How are tanks classified as light/medium/heavy? I've seen some light tanks that are so slow, a medium tank can drive circles around it. Also, why is the Chinese Chi-Ha considered a light tank, but the Japanese Chi-Ha considered a medium, despite the fact that according to the official game site, they have the same stats.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

Welcome to World of Tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralCheez View Post
    - Is there a faster way of earning crew experience with accelerated crew training turned on? I seem to only earn enough points to advance one of them by one percent per battle. Or, at least, it seems like it.
    The amount of exp needed to earn the next 1% of skill increases exponentially the closer you get to 100%. It might take only 200 exp to gain 1% from 75 to 76, but 8k to reach the final 1% when your crew is 99%.

- Why is the T18 so popular? I frequently face enemy teams that are 75% composed of them. On that same note, why does the match-making program do that, and then make my team all light tanks to fight them?
    The T18 is favoured as a seal-clubbing (read, smurfing) tank by experienced players to kill newbies and make themselves feel good. Mainly because it has excellent armour for its tier, and a derp gun that 1-shots most tanks of that tier.

(Also, you sounded like you blundered into a Confrontation battle, where one team has tanks from one nation, while the other has another. Since T18s are so popular amongst American tanks, it's not inconceivable that 75% of a tier II American team would be T18s.)

- How are tanks classified as light/medium/heavy? I've seen some light tanks that are so slow, a medium tank can drive circles around it. Also, why is the Chinese Chi-Ha considered a light tank, but the Japanese Chi-Ha considered a medium, despite the fact that according to the official game site, they have the same stats.
    The light/medium/heavy classification should be taken more as a guideline, rather than a hard category. Plenty of tanks do not suit their classification, like the Matilda (ostensibly a medium, plays like a heavy) and AMX M4 45 (allegedly a heavy, suits a medium role more). In other words, don't let it bother you, and play your tanks it its individual strength instead.
    Last edited by Grif; 2014-04-10 at 10:24 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Welcome to World of Tanks.
    Thanks!

The amount of exp needed to earn the next 1% of skill increases exponentially the closer you get to 100%. It might take only 200 exp to gain 1% from 75 to 76, but 8k to reach the final 1% when your crew is 99%.
    Wow, that sounds pretty painful. Not looking forward to that grind. Although maybe I should just stick with a few tanks and focus on leveling them up, as opposed to the many I ended up getting thanks to garage slots being half off the other day.

The T18 is favoured as a seal-clubbing (read, smurfing) tank by experienced players to kill newbies and make themselves feel good. Mainly because it has excellent armour for its tier, and a derp gun that 1-shots most tanks of that tier.
    Ah yeah, I can see that kind of behavior. Somehow though, when I played with it, I never managed to be as powerful as some of the other T18s. I ended up selling it and upgrading to the next tier tank destroyer, because of the aforementioned not being that good at it, and I thought it looked ugly.

(Also, you sounded like you blundered into a Confrontation battle, where one team has tanks from one nation, while the other has another. Since T18s are so popular amongst American tanks, it's not inconceivable that 75% of a tier II American team would be T18s.)
    I've noticed that occasionally the two teams would all manage to be from one nation. I didn't realize it was a separate game mode, as the gameplay still basically boils down to "shoot other tanks and don't die."

The light/medium/heavy classification should be taken more as a guideline, rather than a hard category. Plenty of tanks do not suit their classification, like the Matilda (ostensibly a medium, plays like a heavy) and AMX M4 45 (allegedly a heavy, suits a medium role more). In other words, don't let it bother you, and play your tanks it its individual strength instead.
    It wasn't really bothering me, actually. I was just wondering if there was some logic to the system, and it turns out there isn't. Oh well. Thanks for taking the time to answer!

Edit: Oh, also apparently they're giving 300 gold to anyone that changes their password, due to the recent server encryption security thing that hit the internet the other day.
    Last edited by AdmiralCheez; 2014-04-11 at 12:20 AM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Wow, that sounds pretty painful. Not looking forward to that grind. Although maybe I should just stick with a few tanks and focus on leveling them up, as opposed to the many I ended up getting thanks to garage slots being half off the other day.
    the first two times taking the crew to 100% are not too bad..after that it becomes really slow
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

This grind is mitigated somewhat by the fact that you can transfer crews forward to the next tank, with 90% of the skill if you choose to retrain with credits, or 100% with gold.

20. - Top - End - #140

Don't treat it as a grind and it won't be so bad ~ there are of course vehicles in the game that are horrid to play at any level.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

21. - Top - End - #141

OldWizardGuy

It wasn't really bothering me, actually. I was just wondering if there was some logic to the system, and it turns out there isn't. Oh well. Thanks for taking the time to answer!
    There is some cryptic logic. WG did claim that Japanese deployed and used Chi-Ha as medium tank, and the Chinese used it as light tank when this was first brought up. Char B1, being built pre-war was a proper heavy tank at the time weighting 28 tonnes. Panther could be easily classified as a heavy tank, but it could as well be medium since it replaced Pz 4 medium tank. Recon Panther is supposed to be a scout, so WG took liberties with this one and made it light, weighting well over 40 tonnes.

British and some French tanks were not made with light-medium-heavy classifications in mind, but they were either supposed to move with infantry (infantry tanks) or independently (cruiser tanks). Yeah, British were special snowflakes like that so WG just went for what they felt right.

Then we can add gun motor carriages and assault guns to the mix.

22. - Top - End - #142

BL-10.

The ultimate Troll gun.... Sure is trolls its users just as much as its targets ~ Point Blank Shot into the front of a ISU-152 from my Obj 704 and it bounced (it didnt hit the mantlet just the upper plate. Even if it hi the mantlet it has enough Pen to go through it...) Same guy then bounced a longer ranged shot from a T95.

While their T95 got a invader...
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by darksolitaire View Post
    Yeah, British were special snowflakes like that so WG just went for what they felt right.
    As an example of how far we went with that.

On a less extreme note, a number of British tank models in WoT have wing mirrors, which amuses me no end.

Does anybody know if WG has ever made a statement on the Churchill AVRE? They introduced the TOG II*, so having unique tanks isn't out of the question.

24. - Top - End - #144

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    On a less extreme note, a number of British tank models in WoT have wing mirrors, which amuses me no end.
    Reasonable. They had to watch out for European and American operating on the same theater who all drive on the wrong side.

25. - Top - End - #145

AVRE's were mentioned a long time ago when the British were still a twinkle in the eye and there was only a Early Tech tree.

Similarly Brumbars and Sturmtigers long ago mentioned and are still to come (there is a Sturmtiger model hidden in a barn on Servogorsk)

I look forward to the eventual arrival of the AVRE, i love them in Company of Heroes.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

26. - Top - End - #146

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    AVRE's were mentioned a long time ago when the British were still a twinkle in the eye and there was only a Early Tech tree.

Similarly Brumbars and Sturmtigers long ago mentioned and are still to come (there is a Sturmtiger model hidden in a barn on Servogorsk)

I look forward to the eventual arrival of the AVRE, i love them in Company of Heroes.
    SS wrote an article about wot vaporware few months ago and recently did one about the size of HD client and what might be cut. At this point we really don't have any idea what is and what isn't coming into WoT

Brits for example were supposed to have Turreted TD line and Commonwealth line with M3 Grant. American are supposed to have another medium line with T23 and Chieftain lobbed for third TD line. American light tank extension is pretty safe bet.

27. - Top - End - #147

I don't know who SS is but if they are going to cut anything it needs to be the recent drivel of Chinese clone tanks and terrible Japanese ones.

Why are we still waiting for the Firefly is what i want to know. Its not like its hard to put in the game given the wealth of Sherman Hulls and a the 17lber on a assortment of vehicles inc a French one that get sit before any British one does.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

28. - Top - End - #148

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    This grind is mitigated somewhat by the fact that you can transfer crews forward to the next tank, with 90% of the skill if you choose to retrain with credits, or 100% with gold.
    Yeah, I'm thinking I'll level up to 100% on the tanks that I find fun to play, and do that if I feel like transferring them. Otherwise, I think I'll just keep upgrading and retraining to 75% on the other tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by darksolitaire View Post
    There is some cryptic logic. WG did claim that Japanese deployed and used Chi-Ha as medium tank, and the Chinese used it as light tank when this was first brought up. Char B1, being built pre-war was a proper heavy tank at the time weighting 28 tonnes. Panther could be easily classified as a heavy tank, but it could as well be medium since it replaced Pz 4 medium tank. Recon Panther is supposed to be a scout, so WG took liberties with this one and made it light, weighting well over 40 tonnes.

British and some French tanks were not made with light-medium-heavy classifications in mind, but they were either supposed to move with infantry (infantry tanks) or independently (cruiser tanks). Yeah, British were special snowflakes like that so WG just went for what they felt right.

Then we can add gun motor carriages and assault guns to the mix.
    Okay, so they chose classification based on historical use? I can appreciate that. Even if it does mean that teammates occasionally yell at me for not scouting in the ridiculously slow early French light tanks. Sorry, but my top speed is like 20 kmph. The SPG moves faster than me.
    Last edited by AdmiralCheez; 2014-04-11 at 10:08 AM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Colossus in the Playground

Okay, so they chose classification based on historical use? I can appreciate that. Even if it does mean that teammates occasionally yell at me for not scouting in the ridiculously slow early French light tanks. Sorry, but my top speed is like 20 kmph. The SPG moves faster than me.
    Ignoring people in the start is a pretty good idea; they probably have no idea of what they're talking about. H35, D1, D2, AMX38 and AMX40 all play out as heavy tanks in practice, though their armor leaves something to be desired. Use them as such.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

30. - Top - End - #150

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Ignoring people in the start is a pretty good idea; they probably have no idea of what they're talking about. H35, D1, D2, AMX38 and AMX40 all play out as heavy tanks in practice, though their armor leaves something to be desired. Use them as such.
    I generally try to ignore the chat altogether. Even if someone does try to plan tactics, nobody listens to it, and everyone goes their own way. Sometimes you get lucky, and intelligent people going the same way can coordinate an attack without ever speaking to one another. I love those moments.

Most of the time, though, the chat gets flooded with veteran players bragging about how awesome their Tier 10 tanks are, or someone bringing attention to every single coordinate on the grid map. Or telling people to attack, then defend the base, then acknowledge their own commands, disagree with them, and issue a plea for help with their own sanity.