New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 47 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: World of Tanks IV: We're on Fire!

Quote Originally Posted by Yana View Post
    It's your loss that you don't.

I'm not kidding. I've only been as successful in this game because of the people I platoon with. People who tell me when I'm being a suicidal moron and can get me to redeploy if I go into tunnel vision. The way the playerbase has gotten over the past year, I'd go so far as to say that the game is almost unplayable (if you want to maintain some semblance of sanity at least) without at least one other person that you can trust to watch your back or at least make a difference in the battle as opposed to a brain-dead mouthbreather who is only useful as cover for your foes in the cap circle.
    I must have been immunised somewhat by DotA then. I'm fine with playing solo. So long I know I did my best, it doesn't bother me (much).

2. - Top - End - #182
    Barbarian in the Playground

I hope they figure out what is causing the game to crash. It just crashed on me twice in the same match. I don't think I'm going to try to play again until it is fixed. It isn't worth losing because my team and I are DC'ing due a game bug.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

The 9.0 update is really bothering me. In no way am I referring to the game changes or crashes. I am referring to the very process of installing the update. The game has had to re-download the files at least 5 times now. Every time it finishes downloading it tries to extract the files to apply them and then fails. After several attempts I decided that maybe if I uninstalled then re-installed it might fix it. Even that did not work. So unless I can get the installer to work, I may have to quit World of Tanks. I have no idea if the problem is the installer or my computer. One I have tried to fix, and that didn't work, and the other is way too expensive to fix.

Anyone know a way to fix this?

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Though it usually isn't an issue, and I never bother following the instruction for turning it off, maybe it's a security block from virus checker or OS? Launch the installer with admin priveledges? That kind of thing.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saambell View Post
    The 9.0 update is really bothering me. In no way am I referring to the game changes or crashes. I am referring to the very process of installing the update. The game has had to re-download the files at least 5 times now. Every time it finishes downloading it tries to extract the files to apply them and then fails. After several attempts I decided that maybe if I uninstalled then re-installed it might fix it. Even that did not work. So unless I can get the installer to work, I may have to quit World of Tanks. I have no idea if the problem is the installer or my computer. One I have tried to fix, and that didn't work, and the other is way too expensive to fix.

Anyone know a way to fix this?
    Are you reusing the installer files? Download a fresh copy and try again.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    I must have been immunised somewhat by DotA then. I'm fine with playing solo. So long I know I did my best, it doesn't bother me (much).
    Playing alone has the advantage that if you get pissed off, you aren't jeopardizing the chances of anyone you know when you go turboretard. Also if you die you can go into another game immediately. Of course I still platoon if friends happen to be around but I solo most of the time.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2014-04-20 at 04:17 AM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I only need to finish Fire and Water to get T2 LT. The only problem is that this mission requires me to play two classes I don't like all that much. At the moment, I have Chaffee, AFK Panther, Lorraine 51 as well as GW E-100 and Object 261 for the mission, but I don't play tier 10 arty since I'm going freemium.

Chaffee is nice and all, but AFK Panther has very little redeeming features. I still think it's awesome tier 6 medium, but the whole scout thing ruins it. And Lorraine arty is arty, which is biggest turn off in any vehicle. I wish they would announce what next patch is going to bring, getting new high tier scouts would at least give me more incentive to play.

8. - Top - End - #188

This ****ing day:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Ace Mastery in my AT-15 on a loss. 5082 Damage, 2765 Bba. Steelwall, Defender, High Caliber and a Spartan. 4 Kills and really the only reason it was a loss was the TD was too slow to get to where i could see the cap again before the E8 capped it out as i had to go down a embankment to get the Stur Emil (and then got briefly stuck...)
    Last edited by Leon; 2014-04-21 at 10:12 PM.
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

10. - Top - End - #190

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    I'll get the Screencap up when i find a new host site.
    Use http://imgur.com/. Simple, efficient.

11. - Top - End - #191

Post Updated with Pic.

Had a Battle the other day that Featured not One but Two PzII Js (Platooned). They won but not by much.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

12. - Top - End - #192
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Hello all, I'm new here despite following this comic for years.
    I shall debut with a somewhat controversial topic that I hope you are more refined about here than on the reddit and official world of tanks forums;
    The Type 59.
    I believe that, now, if they tweaked it slightly, and perhaps changed it's matchmaking back to seeing tier 10s, it could once again see commercial sale.
    The reason I believe it should see tier 10s is because I think then it'd be perfectly balanced. Maybe see tier 10s less often, but it'd sure solve it's problem of being "slightly better" than most tier 8 tanks.
    One reason WG have stated that they don't use it is because it is a reward tank.
    But, correct me if I'm wrong, wouldn't it make more sense for the Type 59 G to be a reward tank? After all, it makes double the xp and credits the regular type does.
    Perhaps remove the matchmaking limit for the normal Type 59, and keep the Type 59 G as it is now.

If you DON'T believe the Type 59 should be brought back on sale (Even for an event weekend, like the recent KV-5 sale), would you care to enlighten me why?
    "We can curse it or nurse it and give it a name"

"And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
    Racing around to come up behind you again.
    The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
    Shorter of breath and one day closer to death."

13. - Top - End - #193

I think Type is the way it is specifically because Wargaming needed a prize tank for various competitions. It's not competitively viable so that's not an issue, but it is one of the best moneymakers (though since the last round of nerfs, significantly worse at that and now regularly loses to Jagdtiger 8.8mm and is about on the same level as Löwe & T34 credit-wise, see here) so it's a fairly ideal prize. It's also a good all-rounder so it offers something for almost everybody, which is quite convenient for a prize since anybody can win them and people don't really have control over what they win. Changing it to bring it back to sale would certainly be an option but then they'd need to come up with another prize tank from somewhere and that, I believe, would be more trouble than it's worth for them.

I think their approach is rather to introduce new, playable premium mediums for Tier 8. Still kinda waiting on that front, of course. T-34-3 is kind of a travesty (who even plays T-44-122 anyways) and FCM 50t lacks the camo to play the typical Med roles so while it certainly fits the "mobile paper tank with great firepower" archetype, there's another niche that would need filling. Honestly, I don't care either way, though Tier 10s in Type would be kinda annoying since you'd need gold to pen them when not flanking (which isn't always an option), which kinda defeats the purpose of a credit farmer. Yeah, I already shoot the occasional gold shell when the situation calls for it but with Tier Xs you'd have to shoot a whole lot or just accept that you're not going to be able to contribute in some games.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Type 59 G, well, let's just say it hasn't done too smoothly in China (what with teammates often killing any Type 59 Gs they see). I don't think the game needs such ridiculous multipliers anyways, nor extra copies of the same tank.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2014-04-22 at 07:23 AM.

14. - Top - End - #194

Why... there is whole line of Clone tanks available now.
    No, the Chinese can keep the ridiculous Gold Version, if you really need a Chinese clone medium there are now several available in the main line.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

15. - Top - End - #195

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    I think Type is the way it is specifically because Wargaming needed a prize tank for various competitions. It's not competitively viable so that's not an issue, but it is one of the best moneymakers (though since the last round of nerfs, significantly worse at that and now regularly loses to Jagdtiger 8.8mm and is about on the same level as Löwe & T34 credit-wise, see here) so it's a fairly ideal prize. It's also a good all-rounder so it offers something for almost everybody, which is quite convenient for a prize since anybody can win them and people don't really have control over what they win. Changing it to bring it back to sale would certainly be an option but then they'd need to come up with another prize tank from somewhere and that, I believe, would be more trouble than it's worth for them.

I think their approach is rather to introduce new, playable premium mediums for Tier 8. Still kinda waiting on that front, of course. T-34-3 is kind of a travesty (who even plays T-44-122 anyways) and FCM 50t lacks the camo to play the typical Med roles so while it certainly fits the "mobile paper tank with great firepower" archetype, there's another niche that would need filling. Honestly, I don't care either way, though Tier 10s in Type would be kinda annoying since you'd need gold to pen them when not flanking (which isn't always an option), which kinda defeats the purpose of a credit farmer. Yeah, I already shoot the occasional gold shell when the situation calls for it but with Tier Xs you'd have to shoot a whole lot or just accept that you're not going to be able to contribute in some games.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Type 59 G, well, let's just say it hasn't done too smoothly in China (what with teammates often killing any Type 59 Gs they see). I don't think the game needs such ridiculous multipliers anyways, nor extra copies of the same tank.
    I just thought the Type 59 G made sense as a prize because of the multipliers. The regular Type doesn't make sense as a prize because more people than just prize winners have it. As you said, it no longer makes the most credits, so it's not the ideal prize in that sense. If you wanted to not be bothered about controlling what people win just offer the equivalent in gold and let the player decide. As it is, I see no reason NOT to bring the Type 59 back into the store.

As for your comment on the Type 59 facing tier 10s, there are already tanks that need to load gold when facing tier 10s, or even tier 9s (looking at you KV-5 and SP). And neither of those tank's armour means much in tier 9 (I have a massive bone to pick with the KV-5 (I do well in that tank btw) in that it's weakspots besides the R2 are easy enough to pen, so why does the R2 exist?)). The Type, however, has the speed to flank AND more pen than them to boot, all combined with decent armour. There isn't any real reason to limit it's matchmaking, because it can still do well with a decent amount of effort in higher tiers (the Super Pershing becomes a massive pain to drive if you're not top tier). The Type has the pen and speed to still be effective in tier 10, unlike the KV-5 and SP.

And WG's replacement for it- the T-34-3- I played it in the test server, and there is nothing it does better than the IS6. It's role has already been taken. Honestly, all they needed to do was put in a Type 59 with less armour

I'm not going to respond in depth to the clone tank comment. There are many reasons why most people want a Type- they don't just want one part which the "clones" of the Type offer. They want the full package.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

The Type 59 does get Tier X matchmaking...just like every other Tier 8 in the inventory.
    I''ll stop now as I'm getting an itch in that black hole I call a conscious

17. - Top - End - #197

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jonzac View Post
    The Type 59 does get Tier X matchmaking...just like every other Tier 8 in the inventory.
    No, it does not.
    The KV-5 does not.
    The IS6 does not.
    The Super Pershing does not.
    The 8.8cm JT does not.
    FCM 50 t does not.
    In fact, the only tier 8 prems that get tier 10 matchmaking are the Lowe and T34 heavy tanks.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrMercury View Post
    No, it does not.
    The KV-5 does not.
    The IS6 does not.
    The 8.8cm JT does not.
    FCM 50 t does not.
    In fact, the only tier 8 prems that get tier 10 matchmaking are the Lowe and T34 heavy tanks.
    You forgot the Mutant M6.

19. - Top - End - #199

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    You forgot the Mutant M6.
    So I did
    That gets tier 10 matchmaking also, which is kindof odd.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MrMercury View Post
    No, it does not.
    The KV-5 does not.
    The IS6 does not.
    The 8.8cm JT does not.
    FCM 50 t does not.
    That must be a change with 9.0 because on the US West server I know I was up against T10 tanks before. If its changed...then awesome. My maxed out Type59 just became more awesome.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jonzac View Post
    That must be a change with 9.0 because on the US West server I know I was up against T10 tanks before. If its changed...then awesome. My maxed out Type59 just became more awesome.
    Nope. It was changed somewhere with patch 8.0. You might have just platooned with tanks with heavier matchmaking.

22. - Top - End - #202

RedWizardGuy

I think the only T8 premium that warrents tier 10 matchmaking is the T34 because of it's strong turret and penetration
    Every other tank doesn't have the armour AND pen to compete (Lowe has the pen, but the armour isn't hard enough)

23. - Top - End - #203

Victory!
    Battle: Arctic Region
    Vehicle: Matilda
    Experience received: 1,404
    Credits received: 30,693
    Battle achievements: High Caliber, Master Gunner, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

24. - Top - End - #204

Why do Knumbskulls drive out the cap when they are about to win by it...
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Why do Knumbskulls drive out the cap when they are about to win by it...
    because other maroons are blowing up chat with "don't cap..kill them"
    even if it would take 5 more minutes to do so vs 5 seconds to cap.....
    they seem to think they will get a bonus for 15 kills
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

26. - Top - End - #206

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    because other maroons are blowing up chat with "don't cap..kill them"
    even if it would take 5 more minutes to do so vs 5 seconds to cap.....
    they seem to think they will get a bonus for 15 kills
    Actually, it's not a bonus for 15 kills, or even thinking they get one. It's simply that more damage = more efficiency. If you cap and there's still 5 guys left, that game is 2/3 the efficiency it might otherwise equate to.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

and who gives a flying poopcycle. A win is a win is a win. I hate the morons that text...dont cap, I"m one away from Top Gun....well I'm 5 seconds away from winning.

28. - Top - End - #208

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Janwin View Post
    Actually, it's not a bonus for 15 kills, or even thinking they get one. It's simply that more damage = more efficiency. If you cap and there's still 5 guys left, that game is 2/3 the efficiency it might otherwise equate to.
    Also there's a team bonus to XP earned for the amount of damage done, and XP from damage inflicted outweighs XP from cap points by a significant margin.

Capping only gives XP to the people in the cap and is a small amount.

If you're capping and there's a reasonable amount of enemy health left on the field, and the enemy can't possibly win, you're probably ****ting up someone's really good game.
    Last edited by GloatingSwine; 2014-04-24 at 01:21 PM.

29. - Top - End - #209

I've got a couple of stories to share about people who told me not to capture:

Spoiler: In Which an Idiot Sabatoges Our Victory
    Show
    We're in a match. Three people left on my team, and one on theirs. Two of us were at the cap, trying to finish the job. The other guy, who has been camping the entire game and has zero kills to show for it, starts whining to get off the cap and hunt down the last guy. I ignored him, because we didn't have the manpower to search the whole map, I was in a painfully slow tank with a damaged engine, and the match had already dragged on for twelve minutes. So, what did he do next? He tried to fire a warning shot at me to get me to move, but fails, and takes out my track in the process. Since I technically took damage, it also reset the cap.

He must have failed to realize he had immobilized me, because instead of taking his own advice and hunting down the straggler, he kept shooting warning shots at me, trying to get me to move, even though I couldn't. And I was most certainly not going to waste a repair kit on this.

The other guy, meanwhile, is desperately trying to find the last enemy by himself, but he's just not fast enough. The time runs out, ending the match in a draw, thus denying everyone their precious victory bonus.

Spoiler: In Which I Get Berated For Trying A Desperate Move
    Show
    There's another match I was in where most of the team rushes into the same spot, and proceeds to get wiped out by the enemy. Half of them are dead in the first two minutes, having only taken out one of the enemy. So, me and one other tank, who had gone a separate way to begin with, make our way to the enemy cap in a last-ditch-effort to pull out a victory. We got to almost 75% captured before the enemy TDs finally caught up to us. So, while the last three tanks on our team retreated to base, one of the dead guys starts going off at us, saying the whole team failed because we rushed the cap too early, when we should have turned back and helped. Well, I'm sorry, but two additional light tanks would not have saved your sorry butts from being slaughtered.

So anyway, moral of the stories is, I actively ignore anyone trying to tell me not win to the game. I don't care how great you've been doing, if you're going to be a greedy idiot, I'm not going to listen to you.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

This is why I am happy that the Xbox version doesn't have text chat.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.