New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 47 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: World of Tanks IV: We're on Fire!

It's situational. If I've had a pleasant game and someone asks for one more kill to get a medal or something, then by all means they're free to it and I won't cap. On the other hand, if the one asking is an abusive idiot who has camped most of the game, good luck trying to appeal to my good side.

As a rule of thumb, shooting at tanks is more fun then sitting on a base circle, but team should always try to win first. 10 tanks to 5 is still a situation where I would cap, since I've seen teams managing to snatch defeat from jaws of victory too many times.

2. - Top - End - #212

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by darksolitaire View Post
    It's situational. If I've had a pleasant game and someone asks for one more kill to get a medal or something, then by all means they're free to it and I won't cap. On the other hand, if the one asking is an abusive idiot who has camped most of the game, good luck trying to appeal to my good side.

As a rule of thumb, shooting at tanks is more fun then sitting on a base circle, but team should always try to win first. 10 tanks to 5 is still a situation where I would cap, since I've seen teams managing to snatch defeat from jaws of victory too many times.
    This.

I'm not saying "hunt everyone down no matter what, no matter how stupid of a move that may be". I'm saying "if someone has 5 kills and you're 4 to 1, don't be a ****".

If the difference between winning and not is capping, by all means cap. But if the battle is already won, you might as well get the additional XP for everyone by killing that last guy.

People who tell you not to cap when it's pretty clearly the only (safe) way to win at that point are just as much of idiots as people who sit in cap when it's 10 v 2.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground

What's really annoying is when you're up six to three, with five guys going up against the enemy base, when the TD guarding yours gets taken out by the remaining three tanks. And four of your guys decide to go all the way back to defend the base when simply capping would give you the win.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    What's really annoying is when you're up six to three, with five guys going up against the enemy base, when the TD guarding yours gets taken out by the remaining three tanks. And four of your guys decide to go all the way back to defend the base when simply capping would give you the win.
    Many tankers can't math.

5. - Top - End - #215

Is the XP bonus from hunting down the last guy really that great? If it's down to one guy, then I'd rather just get the points from capturing the base than spending more time driving around looking for someone. By that point, the fighting is done, and it's just cleaning up.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Firbolg in the Playground

Alright, update on how the xbox version is going.

Brit mediums are in. We got Lakeville, Himmelsdorf, El Haluf, and Prohkorovka. Westfield has assault again, but unfortunately so does Mali.
    Oh, crews launched. Everything is tied to the commander to reduce the micro-management, so BiA is a massive instant grab for everyone all the time. You get one perk/skill at a time and it trains faster.
    They're releasing Russian premiums leading up to the launch lineup, assumed to be late-may/early-june. First up was the KV-5. Some digging shows that the Churchill 3 is prepped for launch and waiting.

And I got my GW Panther
    Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by MCerberus; 2014-04-24 at 08:48 PM.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    And I got my GW Panther
    Spoiler
    Show

no...no it really doesn't
    lasers wouldn't just disappear 1 shot in 4

unless they are doing things differently
    in which case the anti-arty nutjobs will start trumpeting how deadly arty is on xbox as reason #8237724 to remove them from PC
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

8. - Top - End - #218

Further info for the drive out of cap thing, this occurred with a team that left a flank open and still looked to able pull the win off despite the on rushing enemies, they were capping our base but not by much and it was only half done when the moron drove off cap.

There was no benefit to anyone to drive off the cap, yet the moron in the tiger blindly followed the suggestion and we lost.
    There are times when capping is not good and times when its all can do to win. Had a game the other day on Himmledorf encounter where myself and another tank capped out under what would have been a staggeringly bad loss (12-2 at that point)

The Xbox maybe different but for PC laser arty (such as it ever was) is over, but people will still claim otherwise they are the subject of a lucky direct hit.
    Last edited by Leon; 2014-04-24 at 10:48 PM.
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

9. - Top - End - #219

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    no...no it really doesn't
    lasers wouldn't just disappear 1 shot in 4

unless they are doing things differently
    in which case the anti-arty nutjobs will start trumpeting how deadly arty is on xbox as reason #8237724 to remove them from PC
    There isn't a lot of ghost-shells on the xbox, maybe it's an engine thing.
    But the GW Panther still has the insane fire arc, 1200 HE alpha, and is as accurate as some direct-fire guns. It's accurate enough to make taking lower-% shots at an engine deck worth it, still good enough to also put a 500 damage shot into the turret of an E-75.

The real reason there's not a lot of arty (despite the constant complaints) is that except for blind-shot tracer tracking, you're giving half your damage credit to somebody. And the grind is sooo long.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Personally, I like to start capturing the enemy base as a means to light a fire under the buns of whatever remaining enemies are left in the game. Otherwise, they would be free to hide in some god-forsaken corner of the map and we would have to play a deadly game of hide-and-seek to find them. BORING! I say let them come to me, or stay hidden and lose their own base. The choice is theirs.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralCheez View Post
    Is the XP bonus from hunting down the last guy really that great? If it's down to one guy, then I'd rather just get the points from capturing the base than spending more time driving around looking for someone. By that point, the fighting is done, and it's just cleaning up.
    Yes the XP is great for the guy who is actually getting the damage done to the last tank, but for everyone else....NO there is no benefit to you as XP is only awarded for you personal actions. I get NO XP for the guy across the map who is hitting another tank. I do get the win bonus....but I would get that anyway and if I'm on the cap I get the win bonus AND XP for cap points.

So, I'm on the cap deal with it in my opinion.
    I''ll stop now as I'm getting an itch in that black hole I call a conscious

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Personally, I like to start capturing the enemy base as a means to light a fire under the buns of whatever remaining enemies are left in the game. Otherwise, they would be free to hide in some god-forsaken corner of the map and we would have to play a deadly game of hide-and-seek to find them. BORING! I say let them come to me, or stay hidden and lose their own base. The choice is theirs.
    One of my favorite strategies. You don't even have to be winning if you're in something with a good gun or platooned. Once the capture starts, people tend to rush in dumb.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jonzac View Post
    Yes the XP is great for the guy who is actually getting the damage done to the last tank, but for everyone else....NO there is no benefit to you as XP is only awarded for you personal actions. I get NO XP for the guy across the map who is hitting another tank. I do get the win bonus....but I would get that anyway and if I'm on the cap I get the win bonus AND XP for cap points.

So, I'm on the cap deal with it in my opinion.
    You actually do. Everybody on the team gets XP for all the damage the team has done in addition to personal and spot damage. Nothing compared to the win multiplier, but it's nice extra for when you can afford it.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

14. - Top - End - #224

Bragpost of the day, in the T20 trollmobile

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #225
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    You actually do. Everybody on the team gets XP for all the damage the team has done in addition to personal and spot damage. Nothing compared to the win multiplier, but it's nice extra for when you can afford it.
    I'd like to see a post from wargaming that supports that Eld. I don't see any XP bonus/change from the end of game screen that would show I received any XP other than the damage done/spot damage/cap points.

If there is proof that I'd get more XP for letting the team kill the last guy versus me getting XP for cap points, I'd be willing to change my stance on the subject.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

meanwhile they HAVE posted multiple times
    (including one of the load screen "tips")
    that there is NO "bonus" for being bloodthirsty and killing everyone

so when someone tells me "don't win the game" (aka "don't cap") i ignore em
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

17. - Top - End - #227

I'd like to see a post from wargaming that supports that Eld. I don't see any XP bonus/change from the end of game screen that would show I received any XP other than the damage done/spot damage/cap points.

If there is proof that I'd get more XP for letting the team kill the last guy versus me getting XP for cap points, I'd be willing to change my stance on the subject.
    Well, I dunno about Wargaming (they are anything but transparent about these kinds of things), but the Wiki lists the following:
    Tank Experience and Credits
    "Team performance factor: Coefficient based on the total damage inflicted to the enemy team by your team"

I can, for my part, confirm that I've noticed I receive massively less XP for games where I've done all the work and we lose like 15-4 compared to a similar game that we lose (or win, that's just another multiplier that's easy to account for) 15-14.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Pretty sure team xp is the reason why if you AFK you still get creds/xp
    EDIT: just xp
    Last edited by MrMercury; 2014-04-30 at 07:36 AM.
    "We can curse it or nurse it and give it a name"

"And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
    Racing around to come up behind you again.
    The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
    Shorter of breath and one day closer to death."

19. - Top - End - #229
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Well, I dunno about Wargaming (they are anything but transparent about these kinds of things), but the Wiki lists the following:
    Tank Experience and Credits
    "Team performance factor: Coefficient based on the total damage inflicted to the enemy team by your team"

I can, for my part, confirm that I've noticed I receive massively less XP for games where I've done all the work and we lose like 15-4 compared to a similar game that we lose (or win, that's just another multiplier that's easy to account for) 15-14.
    Even if its true, would the XP be more than the cap points I'm currently getting? I'd bet not.

20. - Top - End - #230

Even if its true, would the XP be more than the cap points I'm currently getting? I'd bet not.
    Base capping is a really, really small number. Especially if you share it with someone
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #231

Only way to get Invaders. Seen a few T95s get them, if they have driven all the way across the map its only fair they should get an award for that effort. Ive also got one in my TOG, timed that one enough so i got Invader and Elm got a Defender in his TOG
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

22. - Top - End - #232

Perhaps not. The philosphical argument of what you should do is of little interest to me, I merely wish to present the facts accurately

23. - Top - End - #233
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

At the moment I am feeling torn... I would love to get the Panzer IV, but I have this feeling that the Panzer III/IV is better.
    I had been working through the German Light Tank line to get the PnzIV, but got to the point where I felt "Screw that". Nabbed the Hetzer, then started working towards the pnzIII/IV. Got to the Panzer IIIA, then 9.0 hit and I was locked out due to the updates failing to extract. The hotfix corrected that issue so I have been able to get back in.
    And now I see that I no longer need to suffer through the 38NA.
    Still Leaves the Question: Is the Panzer IV H worth getting over the Panzer III/IV?

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saambell View Post
    At the moment I am feeling torn... I would love to get the Panzer IV, but I have this feeling that the Panzer III/IV is better.
    I had been working through the German Light Tank line to get the PnzIV, but got to the point where I felt "Screw that". Nabbed the Hetzer, then started working towards the pnzIII/IV. Got to the Panzer IIIA, then 9.0 hit and I was locked out due to the updates failing to extract. The hotfix corrected that issue so I have been able to get back in.
    And now I see that I no longer need to suffer through the 38NA.
    Still Leaves the Question: Is the Panzer IV H worth getting over the Panzer III/IV?
    To be honest, both seem to play almost the same to me, with III/IV is speedier and more agile than the IV H, but IV H has slightly better frontal + access to 10,5cm derp.

So the question becomes, is there any higher tier tanks you want, and work towards that.

25. - Top - End - #235

Yeah, neither is terrible, honestly. I prefer the Sherman to Pz IV Ausf. H and the T-34 to Pz III/IV, but neither is so horribly much worse that you couldn't play through them. Indeed, most of the Tier V meds are pretty reasonable. The 105mm does ugly, ugly things to lightly armored Tier 3-6 tanks and is sufficient for taking down even heavies given time. So that's a big thing in PzIV's favor. And the armor is pretty nice, and I actually heard the sideskirts work now which makes it quite a hard target for HE and HEAT.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2014-05-03 at 02:41 AM.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Yeah, neither is terrible, honestly. I prefer the Sherman to Pz IV Ausf. H and the T-34 to Pz III/IV, but neither is so horribly much worse that you couldn't play through them. Indeed, most of the Tier V meds are pretty reasonable. The 105mm does ugly, ugly things to lightly armored Tier 3-6 tanks and is sufficient for taking down even heavies given time. So that's a big thing in PzIV's favor. And the armor is pretty nice, and I actually heard the sideskirts work now which makes it quite a hard target for HE and HEAT.
    YUP, side skirts now decrease HE damage due to them counting as spaced armour. And yes, the 10.5 Derp is nicer against higher tiers.
    That being said, I still prefer the III/IV. The speed on that thing is great, and it has sloped armour, so I think the frontal armour on the III/IV is roughly equivalent to the Panzer IV (apart from that little strip of armour that isn't sloped)
    The III/IV is a dedicated flanker. The Panzer IV H is more of a brawler. Choose one, or look at the tanks further down the line and choose one off that.

IN AN UNRELATED TOPIC
    I learned that my Wn8 is 1121. Is that good? Also my Wn8 over the last 30 days has been 1384, how good is that? And the last 30 days it's 1639?
    I have nothing to benchmark this against, so is this any good, guys?
    "We can curse it or nurse it and give it a name"

"And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
    Racing around to come up behind you again.
    The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
    Shorter of breath and one day closer to death."

27. - Top - End - #237

OldWizardGuy

Ever since Pz4 has the long 75mm, I have thought it to be mentally a heavy tank while Pz 3/4 is the medium counter part. With increase of side skirts and loss of top speed, I'm not changing my opinion. Pz4 H will be playable in historical battles, where Panzer 3/4 has no business to, so that's one point for Pz4 H.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMercury View Post
    IN AN UNRELATED TOPIC
    I learned that my Wn8 is 1121. Is that good? Also my Wn8 over the last 30 days has been 1384, how good is that? And the last 30 days it's 1639?
    1121 dings average, 1384 is good and 1639 is very good. Obligatory link to wotlabs.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrMercury View Post
    IN AN UNRELATED TOPIC

Do note that the current WN8 weighs damage very heavily relative to other metrics of performance, and is not to be taken alone.

29. - Top - End - #239

Or at all. All over-hyped metrics.
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

30. - Top - End - #240

OldWizardGuy

WN ratings don't measure anything. They are supposed to be tool used with win rate, average tier and what-have-you to roughly estimate players. It's the WN scumbags that give it poor reputation.