New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 47 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: World of Tanks IV: We're on Fire!

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Or at all. All over-hyped metrics.
    They are useful to determine the relative skill of a player at dealing damage, though unfortunately, not at any particular tank he's driving.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't really find ratings all that useful. So what if I can see who on the enemy team is a big damage-dealer? That's not going to help me if I happen to run into them. I'm going to give it my all no matter what, so why would I need another distraction to keep me from focusing on the game? You never know, maybe they're having a bad day, or intoxicated, or are actually a friend trying out the game on their account. I know I've had huge swings in luck. One day I'll be constantly put in bottom tier and have no impact on the game whatsoever, and the next I'll average 3-4 kills per match. So, you never know what kind of day it's going to be, thus making the whole thing pointless, in my opinion.

...And no, I'm not just saying this because I looked myself up and have a "bad" rating.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

That's why they average out over a very large number of battles. If you're good at the game, you make sound strategic and tactical decisions, putting yourself in the right place more often than not, you will have far more "good days" than bad ones. You're having them because you're simply better at the game.

Having a metric which tracks closely to the player's individual input on a battle is useful because it allows you, roughly, to predict their behaviour.

Take an example, the north base on Mountain Pass. If an enemy tank is on the hill at that base and you are below him in the base, if he's a bad player he's going to wait on his hill thinking it's an advantage, letting you all but certainly get into a hull down position against him.

If he's a good player, he's going off the other side of the hill and coming around to hit your side.

It also lets you assess how well your own team will perform. If you see a good player on your own team go and do a particular thing, you can usually assume he's going to do it properly. If a bad player goes there you cannot count on him to do anything. He might, but you can't count on it.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by darksolitaire View Post
    Ever since Pz4 has the long 75mm, I have thought it to be mentally a heavy tank while Pz 3/4 is the medium counter part. With increase of side skirts and loss of top speed, I'm not changing my opinion. Pz4 H will be playable in historical battles, where Panzer 3/4 has no business to, so that's one point for Pz4 H.

1121 dings average, 1384 is good and 1639 is very good. Obligatory link to wotlabs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post

Do note that the current WN8 weighs damage very heavily relative to other metrics of performance, and is not to be taken alone.
    Thanks :) Don't get me wrong, I'm not interested in banging on other players, I'm only interested in how I'm performing. Honestly, stats don't matter to me more than a measure of my own performance!
    "We can curse it or nurse it and give it a name"

"And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
    Racing around to come up behind you again.
    The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
    Shorter of breath and one day closer to death."

5. - Top - End - #245

Quote Originally Posted by MrMercury View Post
    ...I'm only interested in how I'm performing. Honestly, stats don't matter to me more than a measure of my own performance!
    There's a use for stats I can get behind. So, how difficult is it to improve your own rating? I assume that the more games you've played, the harder it gets?

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralCheez View Post
    There's a use for stats I can get behind. So, how difficult is it to improve your own rating? I assume that the more games you've played, the harder it gets?
    Sort of. While overall stats are harder to improve over time, WOTLabs also track 60-days Winrate and WN8, which is a much better indicator of recent performance.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Barbarian in the Playground

So I just got killed by a bot T-28.
    How embarrassing... but it gets worse.
    I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have happened if there hadn't been an AFK Matilda in the way.
    And of course, it only happened because I got way ahead of the rest of my team... in my AMX-40.

But the worst part is... the bot was the second-best player on his team.

I think I've had enough for today.

8. - Top - End - #248

Xbox patch day. We got Abbey, Fisherman's Bay, Hellcat line, and weather variant maps.

Right now it's Mt. Pass (snow), Mines, Cliff, and Mali (rain), and Prohk, Sand River, and Abbey (night)
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Xbox patch day. We got Abbey, Fisherman's Bay, Hellcat line, and weather variant maps.

Right now it's Mt. Pass (snow), Mines, Cliff, and Mali (rain), and Prohk, Sand River, and Abbey (night)
    Huh, we haven't got weather variants for those maps yet.
    Last edited by Grif; 2014-05-08 at 10:26 AM.

10. - Top - End - #250

Huh, we haven't got weather variants for those maps yet.
    Do you have Prohk/Sand River night maps or Mines/Cliff Rain?
    I've only played Sand River night and Cliff Rain and wow do they feel intense. Especially when you take a near-miss from arty and it's like a lightning strike.
    Last edited by MCerberus; 2014-05-08 at 11:35 AM.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

11. - Top - End - #251

Closest we have to Night is Ruinberg on Fire. Its pretty damm gloomy.
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

12. - Top - End - #252

Update, when when you're in the forest hunting/spotting in an M8A1 on Mali (rain) things get intense. It's the sort of "flash flood causing biblical" rain with lightning and the entire forest swaying.

Image dump
    Spoiler
    Show

and yes the lighthouse is actually working

Looks like I caught a lightning strike
    Last edited by MCerberus; 2014-05-08 at 01:56 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #253

Ace Mastery in my SU-76 in a T5 battle. Top Damage and Exp (970 & 749)
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

14. - Top - End - #254
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralCheez View Post
    Is the XP bonus from hunting down the last guy really that great? If it's down to one guy, then I'd rather just get the points from capturing the base than spending more time driving around looking for someone. By that point, the fighting is done, and it's just cleaning up.
    The bonus exp you get from letting your team finish the last guy, would be more than the capping exp you will recieve. Additionally... The entire team recieves that bonus exp... Whereas only YOU get the capping exp.

Don't get me wrong... If capping is required for victory then you should certainly do it. However... People who cap when there is no need to, are activity hurting themselves and their teams rewards for winning.

15. - Top - End - #255

Quote Originally Posted by SanguisAevum View Post
    The bonus exp you get from letting your team finish the last guy, would be more than the capping exp you will recieve. Additionally... The entire team recieves that bonus exp... Whereas only YOU get the capping exp.

Don't get me wrong... If capping is required for victory then you should certainly do it. However... People who cap when there is no need to, are activity hurting themselves and their teams rewards for winning.
    Several people have mentioned this, but still no one has produced any hard numbers. I don't see it on the post-battle detailed results page, and the wiki entry on "team performance factor" just says it's based on the amount of damage inflicted. If someone can point me to actual numbers that support this, I'll believe it, but right now I just don't see any indication of it. There are far too many variables involved for me to get a good sense of the difference between capping and killing.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Why do "the numbers" even matter.

Even if the bonus from damage is smaller than cap exp (its not... Its been tested BTW, looking for the link)

The Whole TEAM gets rewarded for total damage done to the enemy.

Only the cappers get a cap bonus.

Capping when there is no need to cap shows a total lack of consideration for the rest of your TEAM. That's all there is to it.

17. - Top - End - #257

I'm all for helping the team, but if the only way I'm going to earn any experience at all in that round is by capping, then that's what I'm going to do. If I've had a good run, or just a decent one, I'll gladly get off the cap and hunt down the last enemies. But if I'm in a tank that's too slow to get to a fight before it's over, or if I haven't spotted anyone, or if I haven't been able to damage anything, then I'm not going to earn anything at all.

Am I a bad teammate for wanting to earn some experience? Should I waste a daily x2/3/5 victory bonus and get next to nothing, just so that other people who could actually be effective that round get a little more? If I'm being selfish, let me know. I'm just trying to make the most out of the battle.

As for the numbers, they only matter to me because I've seen no indication that this bonus even exists, outside of a wiki entry. All I really want is some kind of proof that there is a bonus for killing every last enemy, and that dragging on a battle to find one last hiding tank is worth it.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

and how do you KNOW there is "no need to cap"?

in my 13 kill game for example it came down to me vs 11 of them...obviously there was "no need to cap" so they came at me and got killed by 2's and 3's and lost the match..if they had gathered on the flag they would have won easily

i have also lost games cause 3 of us are capping while 4-5 slow heavies are "chasing down" a med or light and screaming "dont cap!!" which one or both others listen to...then said enemy drives up at last minute pings me and races off to hide for the draw..if they stay to cap we win that

again..i see someone say dont cap i read that as some moron saying "don't win"
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

19. - Top - End - #259
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I have already said that if capping is required to ensure victory then great, cap... I will too, every time.

If there is a doubt that victory can be achieved by cleaning up then capping is absolutely the correct thing to do!

The issue here, and what annoys people ...is early capping for NO REASON.

If there is one enemy arty left and you have six team mates hunting him down... Capping early is a selfish, idiotic thing to do. Your denying yourself and the rest of your team extra exp.

If you can't get your head round this simple fact then i give up.
    Last edited by SanguisAevum; 2014-05-15 at 02:15 AM.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I'll get off the cap if a player on my team who has carried us needs the last kill for a Top Gun. That's it. Ever. Even then it's usually a worthless gesture because somebody else ends up taking the kill, but at least I tried. Otherwise it's nothing more than a timer for those who want to hunt everybody down. If you can't get to them by the time I finish capping, then you shouldn't have been trying in the first place.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

21. - Top - End - #261

Quote Originally Posted by Jimor View Post
    I'll get off the cap if a player on my team who has carried us needs the last kill for a Top Gun. That's it. Ever. Even then it's usually a worthless gesture because somebody else ends up taking the kill, but at least I tried. Otherwise it's nothing more than a timer for those who want to hunt everybody down. If you can't get to them by the time I finish capping, then you shouldn't have been trying in the first place.
    This is pretty much my stance on the subject. I'll be accommodating in certain situations, but I'm not going to let the match drag on for another six minutes while only a certain few get to play hide-and-seek. Some bonus experience is not worth it to me to waste time driving around a damaged tank in the hopes that someone spots a guy who knows he's already lost. That's not fun for me, so I'm going to end the match. Judging by the fact that I'm usually accompanied by one or two others, I'm going to say I'm not alone in this line of thinking.

It's a personal preference/philosophy thing. I don't think we're going to get everyone to agree one way or the other on what the best thing to do is.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

It is, off course, your right to play how you like. Just don't be surprised when people call you out on your bad decisions and selfishly poor team play in what is, after all, a TEAM game.

Based on your attitude in that post, i made a quick prediction to myself.

828 WN8. I was correct.
    Last edited by SanguisAevum; 2014-05-15 at 04:44 AM.

23. - Top - End - #263

OldWizardGuy

The issue here, and what annoys people ...is early capping for NO REASON.
    I admit, If I'm in enemy cap circle within first two minutes, most of the teams intact and no-one comes to decap, then I'll cap out of spite.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I admit, If I'm in enemy cap circle within first two minutes, most of the teams intact and no-one comes to decap, then I'll cap out of spite.
    :(

I just cannot comprehend why you would do such a thing, knowing full well you are adversely affecting yourself and 14 other REAL PEOPLE's rewards.

When i play wot... Everything i do is in an effort to help me and the 14 other people on my team to victory and the best rewards possible.

Why even play a team pvp game if you don't have that same attitude?

I can only conclude that kind of behaviour is intentionally antisocial. I just cant understand it.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I'm going for the win, FOR MY TEAM. The only anti-social behavior is when people put meta-gaming ahead of what the explicit goal of the match is supposed to be. Not a session goes by where my side doesn't lose a game because people left cap early, which costs everybody on the team far more XP and credits than the marginal potential increase from a clean sweep. So if my trying to preserve that win is considered anti-social, I happily accept the badge.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

26. - Top - End - #266

OldWizardGuy

:(

I just cannot comprehend why you would do such a thing, knowing full well you are adversely affecting yourself and 14 other REAL PEOPLE's rewards.
    That's racist. Bots are people too.

I can only conclude that kind of behaviour is intentionally antisocial. I just cant understand it.
    I'm wrathful towards teams that pretend base doesn't exist. I usually aim for more exp, but if entire enemy team lemminged to other side of the map and don't bother turning back, well, then it's time for the next game.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground

Capping to lure the enemy team back is always fun.

In other news, the Pz Sfl V is positively horrible to play stock, especially on the back of the excellent Flakbox and surprisingly good Nashorn.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm going for the win, FOR MY TEAM. The only anti-social behavior is when people put meta-gaming ahead of what the explicit goal of the match is supposed to be. Not a session goes by where my side doesn't lose a game because people left cap early, which costs everybody on the team far more XP and credits than the marginal potential increase from a clean sweep. So if my trying to preserve that win is considered anti-social, I happily accept the badge.
    Are you being intentionally obtuse?

If victory is in doubt, capping is the right thing to do. That has never been contested.

For the last time...We are talking about situations where victory is guaranteed yet someone caps out the game anyway.

Grif... How is the grind on that line of tds in general? Once i finish Japanese meds, i need a new project.
    Last edited by SanguisAevum; 2014-05-15 at 06:41 AM.

29. - Top - End - #269

OldWizardGuy

In other news, the Pz Sfl V is positively horrible to play stock, especially on the back of the excellent Flakbox and surprisingly good Nashorn.
    It gets slightly better with the 128mm gun. Meaning that you can at least hurt tanks that are kind enough to drive to you. It's still not a good TD. But at the end of the grind is Borsig.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ettin in the Playground

Grif... How is the grind on that line of tds in general? Once i finish Japanese meds, i need a new project.
    Quick cliff notes on each. Though one rule applies to all: "Never ever be seen."

Marder 38T - Pretty solid TD overall, even stock. Some say this is the old Marder II reincarnated and while I wouldn't put it as that OP, it has pretty good DPM once elite and zippy to boot.

Pz Sfl IVc aka the Flakbus - Oddly enough, the stock gun fires slower than the elite of the 38T, for whatever reason. But it's workable stock, and I even managed an Ace Tanker with the 75mm. (plus it has decent mobility, like the 38T) The choice of upgraded guns is interesting though. The short 88 is my preferred choice, retaining the gun arc and having decent penetration. Some swear by the long 88, though I could never make it work for me. The limited traverse and noticeably worse gun handling wasn't worth the extra penetration.

Nashorn - I thought I'd hate this tank. And stock, it's pretty bad, since you don't inherit any guns from the Flakbus, starting off with the long 75 from the StuG III instead. I'd recommend you free exp to the long 88 at least, because that's where the tank will shine. It has reasonable mobility and with the 88mm L/71, you'd definitely rip apart even tier 8 HTs. Of course, you're dead the moment you're spotted.

Pz Sfl V - Only 15-ish games so far, but all signs point to this being singularly the worst tank of the line. You trade mobility and gun for... a ****tier gun and mobility on par with the T28 Prot? I don't know. This tank feels like it belongs more at tier 6 than even the Nashorn. Armour is non-existent, and it absolutely is helpless at close quarters. (I got circled to death by a M7. That was humiliating.) The stock gun is temperamental, akin to the AMX M4 45 and to top it off, has worse penetration than the 88mm you sported in the Nashorn. Well, it does have gun depression, so there's that.

I'd definitely recommend free-exping past this.

It gets slightly better with the 128mm gun. Meaning that you can at least hurt tanks that are kind enough to drive to you. It's still not a good TD. But at the end of the grind is Borsig.
    Yeah, the Borsig is the only thing that's keeping me now. Hell, even stock Nashorn wasn't this bad.
    Last edited by Grif; 2014-05-15 at 08:15 AM.