New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default Vaarsuvius's gender..

After about a year of trying to work it out-- I think Vaarsuvius's gender is literally unknowable. Going back through all the sources for Vaarsuvius, and all the places I have seen the elf appear, and in all the places where the elf could act... and the fact that Vaarsuvius's children are adopted by Vaarsuvius...

I actually think there is *not* a canon gender for the token-elf-of-the-party. And it's pretty obvious to me that The Giant has made it that way on purpose.

I also think this is a completely amazing statement about a complete lack of gender role, making Vaarsuvius... just a person. A potent wizard -- but? A person to identify with or to regard.

This is pretty epic to me. Nothing Vaarsuvius does can be acreditted to gender bias, or gender stereotyping or anything outside of elf-stereotyping. It's kinda freeing, and I just.. totally had to comment how cool I think that is, and how relevent going along with, or swinging against gender roles in roleplay was whenever I was writing; how overtly I was either intentionally following, walking between, or going against them with individual characters.

But Vaarsuvius really struck a cord with me because.. Vaarsuvius simply doesn't acknowledge it in his/her/its actions. It's a non-issue. Going for them, or going against preconcieved stereotypes is neither worthy of consideration, praise, worry or even notice in the elf's mind.. where Haily may giggle, or do the big hair thing or Belkar may kiss the girl, or Roy make big tough-guy 'Grr, Roy Smash Puny Kobold' jokes.. I like this method for Vaarsuvius, and elves in general.

All of the order are pretty amazing characters in my eyes -- but Vaarsuvius is something I haven't seen before. Maybe I just haven't been reading enough, but I like this character, and The Giant's take on elves.

What I like most about Vaarsuvius ... is that ... the elf isn't even *militantly* gender neutral.. it's like-- gender doesn't even exist. It's.. alien without being alien. lol. And it's funny how this character is resistant to automated filing and error-checking when I go back to see if my pre-conceieved assumptions were correct--

On a completely unrelated side note?
    "This shirt is forshadowing for something later" is... totally epic, and I am totally buying that. Haha.
    Last edited by TheWatcher; 2014-02-20 at 01:43 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Vaarsuvius's gender..

Actually, the Giant has stated that Vaarsuvius does have a gender and he knows what it is. However, it is a well known fact that he also deliberately makes it impossible to determine. There's no "hints" like with the identity of the MitD. He just makes it impossible to determine short of asking the character "Hey Vaarsuvius, are you male or female?".

I agree that I like that it's a non issue. It just is. And it makes people question why they need to know a character's gender when they start asking why it hasn't been revealed.
    Last edited by NerdyKris; 2014-02-20 at 01:48 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

"What is V's gender?" may be the wrong question to ask. V probably identifies as androgynous. "What is V's sex?" is a question whose answer hasn't been hinted at deliberately by V or Rich. Were V a real person, you could take accidental hints into evidence, but accidental hints in a fictional work are useless when trying to determine the character's gender or sex - or almost anything else, indeed.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Actually what he said was that V had a gender when he started, but he was suprised people couldn't tell.

So by around strip #10 he started dropping hints to confuse his audience. When the forum seemed to think that V was primarily female he dropped a hint that he was male, like the V-man comment, or the other way around.

So whatever hints you find, they're most likely the giant messing with us.

I'm fairly sure by now V doesn't have a determinable gender anymore.

5. - Top - End - #5

No, I mean he just stated on twitter the other day that he did know Vaarsuvius's gender.

@RichBurlew do you actually have a set answer to "the big three" questions

Rich Burlew ‏@RichBurlew Feb 17
    I might, if I knew what they were. RT @weso12 do you actually have a set answer to "the big three" questions

Wesley Toma ‏@weso12 Feb 17
    @RichBurlew V's gender and The monster in the dark's identity I forget the third (ed- Belkar's death)

Rich Burlew ‏@RichBurlew
    .@weso12 Yes, I know all three.
    Last edited by NerdyKris; 2014-02-20 at 02:15 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Of course, Vaarsuvius's gender could well be "elf".
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Of course, Vaarsuvius's gender could well be "elf".
    Well played, sir. Well played.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

My bet is that it's "mwa ha ha".
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    "What is V's gender?" may be the wrong question to ask. V probably identifies as androgynous. "What is V's sex?" is a question whose answer hasn't been hinted at deliberately by V or Rich. Were V a real person, you could take accidental hints into evidence, but accidental hints in a fictional work are useless when trying to determine the character's gender or sex - or almost anything else, indeed.
    I was under the impression that I was using 'gender' incorrectly when you said this, but chose to look it up in the marriam webster dictionary -- as I had heard that online before, although I do not believe the net's use of 'gender' vs. 'sex' has become the primary definition yet.

"Gender: the state of being male or female"

So the question was still valid, although I understand what you were getting at. If you were using the other definition of gender, then I'd think V wouldn't have a gender at all though, even if V had a sex, which is largely the point of the topic.. haha~
    Last edited by TheWatcher; 2014-02-20 at 03:05 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Personally, I'm in the opinion that V isn't even aware that nobody knows his(I assumed V was a guy before I realized he was supposed to be androgynous so I've always thought of him as male) gender, and the reason he hasn't said anything to reveal his sex is purely rule of funny.

For example, I hold the belief that if V were to put on the Belt of Gender Changing, he would become... an equally androgynous member of the other sex, and loudly complain using entirely gender neutral terms, never even considering the possibility that it isn't obvious to everyone else.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by An Enemy Spy View Post
    Personally, I'm in the opinion that V isn't even aware that nobody knows his(I assumed V was a guy before I realized he was supposed to be androgynous so I've always thought of him as male) gender, and the reason he hasn't said anything to reveal his sex is purely rule of funny.

For example, I hold the belief that if V were to put on the Belt of Gender Changing, he would become... an equally androgynous member of the other sex, and loudly complain using entirely gender neutral terms, never even considering the possibility that it isn't obvious to everyone else.
    V mentioned that he turns invisible when he goes to the bathroom specifically to annoy Belkar.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

12. - Top - End - #12

Perhaps V thinks Belkar wants to ogle their elf-parts?
    Spoiler: Extended Signature
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    All things considered, the guy whose character attacked a gazebo may have actually had a point...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post
    ban the problem spells and the problem classes. not the whole book.
    So.. Keep the bard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    The only thing worse than a Beholder with an anti-magic cone is a Beholder without the anti-magic cone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Baaa, I can think! Baaa, I can't see in the dark!

13. - Top - End - #13

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by TheWatcher View Post
    After about a year of trying to work it out-- I think Vaarsuvius's gender is literally unknowable. Going back through all the sources for Vaarsuvius, and all the places I have seen the elf appear, and in all the places where the elf could act... and the fact that Vaarsuvius's children are adopted by Vaarsuvius...

I actually think there is *not* a canon gender for the token-elf-of-the-party. And it's pretty obvious to me that The Giant has made it that way on purpose.

I also think this is a completely amazing statement about a complete lack of gender role, making Vaarsuvius... just a person. A potent wizard -- but? A person to identify with or to regard.

This is pretty epic to me. Nothing Vaarsuvius does can be acreditted to gender bias, or gender stereotyping or anything outside of elf-stereotyping. It's kinda freeing, and I just.. totally had to comment how cool I think that is, and how relevent going along with, or swinging against gender roles in roleplay was whenever I was writing; how overtly I was either intentionally following, walking between, or going against them with individual characters.

But Vaarsuvius really struck a cord with me because.. Vaarsuvius simply doesn't acknowledge it in his/her/its actions. It's a non-issue. Going for them, or going against preconcieved stereotypes is neither worthy of consideration, praise, worry or even notice in the elf's mind.. where Haily may giggle, or do the big hair thing or Belkar may kiss the girl, or Roy make big tough-guy 'Grr, Roy Smash Puny Kobold' jokes.. I like this method for Vaarsuvius, and elves in general.

All of the order are pretty amazing characters in my eyes -- but Vaarsuvius is something I haven't seen before. Maybe I just haven't been reading enough, but I like this character, and The Giant's take on elves.

What I like most about Vaarsuvius ... is that ... the elf isn't even *militantly* gender neutral.. it's like-- gender doesn't even exist. It's.. alien without being alien. lol. And it's funny how this character is resistant to automated filing and error-checking when I go back to see if my pre-conceieved assumptions were correct--

On a completely unrelated side note?
    "This shirt is forshadowing for something later" is... totally epic, and I am totally buying that. Haha.
    Agreed, V's gender has been one of the best things in the comic. It may have started as an accident, but it's awesome having a casually gender neutral main character. It would actually be disappointing if V established a gender before the end of the comic.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Socksy View Post
    Perhaps V thinks Belkar wants to ogle their elf-parts?
    Sort of. Belkar is as curious as most of the forum about it, but unlike us he has the means to find out. If that blasted elf didn't turn invisible of course... or Belkar had enough ranks in whatever knowledge help identifying the sex/gender/whatever of a lizard.

15. - Top - End - #15

|V's sex> = (|Male> + |Female>)/√2

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Vaarsuvius
    Race : elf
    Class : Wizard
    Familiar : when remembered.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Cicciograna View Post
    |V's sex> = (|Male> + |Female>)/√2
    Ok, you'll have to explain that notation to me.
    What does "| >" mean?

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    Ok, you'll have to explain that notation to me.
    What does "| >" mean?
    That's a ket. In Quantum Mechanics it's used to indicate the vector representing a particular state of the system and it's properties.

In QM an observable (that is, a physical quantity) can be represented as a combination of its possible values, each one with its probability to be actually found should a measurement be preformed of the observable itself, and only the actual measurement process can make it collapse into a defined outcome.

The specific example I used means that the system "V's sex" is a linear superposition of the "Male" and "Female" states, with the √2 indicating that each state has a 0.5 probability to be found upon measurement.

To quote a famous experiment, the status of the notorious Schroedinger' cat would be (|Dead> + |Alive>)/√2.
    Last edited by Cicciograna; 2014-02-21 at 06:15 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

To me V was intended to be Male. When I look at the first few strips (before Rich realised people were confused) V just strikes me as male, there is nothing feminine about the drawings. And while The Giant has shown he is one of the most sensitive writers of female characters, I find it hard to believe that as a man, he naturally drew a female character without any "features".... But then I could be doing Rich a great disservice and projecting my own sexist assumptions onto him.

Tl.dr... I always thought V was male.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

amused Re: Vaarsuvius's gender..

Vaarsuvius could be a male because Roy calls him/her V-MAN on several occasions and Roy should know seeing as he is the leader of the party and V's boss.

On the other hand, V could be female as Inkyrius (V's mate) has the body shape usually reserved for males. This could make V a gay/bisexual male, though, seeing as their children are adopted and simply refer to them both as 'parent'.

I personally see V as a male, but others will probably disagree. Please share your opinion in the comments!

21. - Top - End - #21

Opinions were already shared eight months ago.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I always thought V was female just because I found it implausible that there could be only one female character in the party.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Firbolg in the Playground

First I thought V was female, then male, then genderqueer. I like the third answer best, so I'll stay with that one.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by CardboardPizzas View Post
    Vaarsuvius could be a male because Roy calls him/her V-MAN on several occasions and Roy should know seeing as he is the leader of the party and V's boss.

On the other hand, V could be female as Inkyrius (V's mate) has the body shape usually reserved for males. This could make V a gay/bisexual male, though, seeing as their children are adopted and simply refer to them both as 'parent'.

I personally see V as a male, but others will probably disagree. Please share your opinion in the comments!
    I don't think Roy being V's boss would entitle him to that information. Roy probably doesn't care about his teammates sexes as long as they stop driving him crazy with their antics.

Personally, I like to think that Elves in OOTS are similar to Discworld dwarfs where finding out your potential mate's sex is an important part of the process. Of course, Rich has said he has never read Discworld but I like that as my head-canon.
    I prefer Pathfinder to D&D but we can still be friends if you don't
    Always eager to help. Send me a PM if you need help with a homebrew/world building thing. I'm no master by any means but I can try my best.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_of_Void View Post
    I don't think Roy being V's boss would entitle him to that information. Roy probably doesn't care about his teammates sexes as long as they stop driving him crazy with their antics.

Personally, I like to think that Elves in OOTS are similar to Discworld dwarfs where finding out your potential mate's sex is an important part of the process. Of course, Rich has said he has never read Discworld but I like that as my head-canon.
    Also I only remember one occurrence of "V-Man", in strip 9, which the Giant later said was a mistake (because a majority of his gaming group though V was female, so he was trying to make things less clear, but in hindsight he said he should have just gone for ambiguity directly.)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_of_Void View Post
    Spoiler: OtOoPCs
    Show
    Actually Roy did ask for the gender of his future party members. He gave them a form to fill out before hiring them, and that was one of the questions.

V had an ink malfunction, making her/his answer unreadable. Roy did ask for it, and V said Roy can correct it. Roy then dropped the topic .

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

27. - Top - End - #27

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Masterkerfuffle View Post
    I always thought V was female just because I found it implausible that there could be only one female character in the party.
    Do you hail from a magical land where women have roughly equal representation with men in media and 'The Smurfette' is an antiquated concept? How do I get there?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Colossus in the Playground

5E PHB had what may be a nod to Vaarsuvius:

p121: Personality & Background
    You don't need to be confined to binary notions of sex and gender. The elf god Corellon Larethian is often seen as androgynous or hermaphroditic, for example, and some elves in the multiverse are made in Corellon's image.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

29. - Top - End - #29

AssassinGuy

The most interesting thing to me has been watching how the Forum identifies V. It varies member by member, and says more about each of us than it does about Vaarsuvius. I (and many others) call hir "hir" because the Giant hasn't made it clear which gender V is, and there is no logical reason to impose my opinion on the character by saying "his/her", "he/she"; so I stick with neutral terms ("s/he" being awkward but accurate).

For those who are convinced Vaarsuvius is either male or female; I ask, "Based on what evidence?" Maybe it's because I'm an agnostic/atheist, but until there is empirical proof- in V's case, either in the strip or by Word of the Giant- I don't have enough evidence to believe V is anything other than "Elvish". "I just know it" does not convince me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Speaking personally, while I usually try to word sentences referring to Vaarsuvius in a way that I don't have to use gendered pronouns, when forced to make a choice, I refer to V as female as I'd prefer that if I ever had to make a choice. As I said much earlier, I actually think V's gender is "elf", but there really aren't any good, non-forced terms for that.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.