New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: Defending the city - spoiler

One thing that might also play into this is the size of the defending city. By spreading the forces around the entire city, Ansom is potentially inviting himself to a defeat in detail.

Depending on the movement of pieces, forces inside the fortress could potentially mass and all attack a small portion of the attackers spreading around the outside, and then make it back inside the fortress and back to their defensive positions before the attackers have a turn.

Uncroak the dead forces outside the walls, and the attackers have to expend movements, attacks and turns against uncroaked units outside the walls. With a modicum of good planning, the enveloping of the city could be forced to take two to five turns and cause massive losses to the attackers with little to no damage to the defenders. Trying to do a quick surrounding of any fortified position is VERY tricky and dangerous in turn-based environments.

And of course there's always the lovely tactic of taking powerful, fast units (dwagons) out to do raids in force and then pull them back for healing. If Ansom is planning on five days just to go along the road, I'm thinking five heavy attacks by dwagon forces could slow, hurt and disorganize them pretty heavily.

As mentioned above, I don't know if the Erfworld allows terrain altering magics along the lines of blow-a-mountainside-for-a-landslide-attack. If so, that could be REALLY nice - eliminates units, chops up the attackers, and slows them down even more.

I'd need to know more about the details of the world and what is allowed to figure out other tactics. Any other ideas?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

I believe it would be a superior idea to flood the tunnels with milk, as they're going to be filled with marbits.

After all, there's only 200 living humans in the entire army ... maybe the better solution is to secretly evacuate all but a token defense force and the fantasy equivalent of a 25-megaton nuclear bomb. Let the bad guys break into the city, wait until they've brought all their troops into the captured city, then press the button.

Watch the city and the Handsome army vanish in a single flash brighter than the sun.

Then use croakamancers to revive corpses and begin a campaign of conquest on the now-defenseless Plushlands...
    If the capital is destroyed then they will all be destroyed forever! Havnt you ever played Advance Wars?

A decent pan would be to bury some uncroaked units around the wall outside the area that Ansom's forces will be at. Then when the alliance attacks the uncroaked rise up and surround them, catching the elves and such between the uncroaked and a hard place. Then have spidew troops (which are probably very agile) swarm over the wall and tear the elves to pieces, striking at the hardest part of the line and going from there.

Dwagons would be used to harass and add power to attacks.
    I used to do avatars on request, feel free to use them.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rocheforte View Post
    IIRC, occupying a mountain triples your defense, having a fortification there doubles it, and using the "Fortify" command doubles it again. Even a 1/1 Warrior from Turn 1 has an effective defense of 12 in such a situation. If those numbers are similar to the mechanics of this world, 25:1 is actually pretty reasonable odds.
    Um... no. Not in Civ III, at least. Mountain is +100%, I'm not sure about fortress, and fortifying is +25-50%.

As for the defense, the above ideas sound good. Depending on how uncroaking works, it may be feasible to mount a croakamancer on a dwagon and try "hit, raise, and run" tactics. The resulting uncroaked would die quickly, but hopefully they would inflict some casualties first.
    Spoiler
    Show

Do you surmise it's wise to have laser beams emitting from your eyes?
    -They Might Be Giants, "The Lady and the Tiger"

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

I'd also say there's a possible infiltration factor in the form of Commander Zamussels. She's captured, proud, and disgruntled.

And if Parson ends up with _all_ the air forces due to defections, that would be a big blow in his favor.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Indon View Post
    And if Parson ends up with _all_ the air forces due to defections, that would be a big blow in his favor.
    Never thought of that, actually. Even if Jillian says no and refuses to help, at the very least she's not riding gwiffons and chopping off dwagon heads.

At the most, Ansom has Vinnie's Doombats to help. And I doubt bats could go one-on-one with dwagons and come out on top.

(Now, one-on-a hundred, maybe, but not one-on-one.)

So Parson's best bet is to use his air force to wreck havoc on enemy troops, picking targets of opportunity and trying to avoid elves (whose archery will probably count as anti-air).

Bombs away!
    Noble Axeman of the Roy fanclub. Why?

Look at this face. That's why. That is one awesome face!

" MAMA'S BOY!"- Kefka cosplayer to Sephiroth cosplayer.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Indon View Post
    I'd also say there's a possible infiltration factor in the form of Commander Zamussels. She's captured, proud, and disgruntled.

I'd draw the opposite conclusion from Jillian's presence inside the city. Imagine the distraction that a chick with a huge sword could cause if she went on a rampage.
    The Omnians were a God-fearing people. They had a great deal to fear.
    -Terry Pratchett

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Om View Post
    I'd draw the opposite conclusion from Jillian's presence inside the city. Imagine the distraction that a chick with a huge sword could cause if she went on a rampage.
    Solution- Melt the sword... Also, A simple bolder could brobably do some major damage.

Lastly, as has been said before, Morale is a key factor in this battle... The countless living troops in Ansom's army are going to start panicking if their siege engines go awry... Because in all honesty, do they really think they can get through a wall of stone by hacking at it?
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe