New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 54 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1599
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXVI

Q539: Does the Precocious Apprentice feat allow to qualify for a class requiring "ability to cast 2nd level spells"?
    Last edited by Xerlith; 2014-04-18 at 06:38 PM.
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    This is the Playground. We're a repository of D&D Knowledge. Kinda like the Library of Congress, but with more screaming about RAW vs. RAI.

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Darkweave31 View Post
    Q538: Can the Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil with the personal violet and indigo wardings up walk through another mage's prismatic wall/sphere with body and veils unscathed?
    A 538 Assuming that you are using the double warding and personal effect for both of the violet and indigo wardings, the effect of the character walking into the prismatic wall/sphere will not dispel it and is thus subject to the effects of the wall/sphere. As for the indigo viel, it simply stops line of effect, and walls / conjuration effects don't "need" LoE, simply requiring interaction from the person in question instead. As for the violet veil, it only destroys things that could be affected by disintegration, and doesn't destroy the 1st prismatic effect which needs to be taken down before any other effects can be destroyed.

3. - Top - End - #1143

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xerlith View Post
    Q539: Does the Precocious Apprentice feat allow to qualify for a class requiring "ability to cast 2nd level spells"?
    A 539 Although the precocious apprentice feat says you can cast a 2nd level spell if you succeed on a spell craft check, by RAW it doesn't actually give you the ability to cast 2nd level spells. It however does give you a 2nd level slot.

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Ettin in the Playground

A539 Contention

It is a somewhat twisted wording that a character has the ability to cast a second level spell without the ability to cast a second level spell. By RAW, Precocious Apprentice grants you the ability to cast a Second Level Spell, even if it has conditions and restrictions. Note that it does not on its own qualify you for classes require "second level spells," because it grants the ability to cast a single second level spell only.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 532 [correction] Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Banaticus View Post
    Usually not, because you aren't actually casting a spell from a spell-trigger or spell-completion device, you're triggering or completing it.
    Dungeon Master's Guide is the primary source for magic items. From page 211:
    Scrolls: A scroll is a spell magically inscribed onto paper or parchment so that it can be used later. A scroll of searing light allows a cleric to cast searing light once, as though she had prepared the spell herself, except that any level-based effects—such as range and damage—are based on the level of the scroll’s creator, not the user’s caster level.
    Wands: A wand is a short stick imbued with the power to cast a specific spell. A wand of magic missile is a useful weapon for a wizard or sorcerer. A newly created wand has 50 charges, and each use of the wand depletes one of those charges.
    From page 243:
    Activation: Staffs use the spell trigger activation method, so casting a spell from a staff is usually a standard action that doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity.
    From page 245:
    Activation: Wands use the spell trigger activation method, so casting a spell from a wand is usually a standard action that doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity.
    Activating a spell from any spell completion (scroll) or spell trigger (wand/staff) item is explicitly stated to be casting that spell.

6. - Top - End - #1146
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Q540

Vampires are disoriented and then destroyed if exposed to 'direct sunlight.' Does a heavily overcast day count as 'direct sunlight'? If so, does a rainstorm count? The comic would suggess that as long as they stay in shadow they are fine, but I don't know enough to be sure if that's authorial license on Rich's part.

EDIT:
    Q541

Rope Trick has a window that you can look out of but not into. Does the window block things (aside from climbers) from entering the space? If I drop a fireball right under the window, will it expand up into the ED space?
    Last edited by Eaglejarl; 2014-04-19 at 01:13 AM.
    I write professionally. My books are on Amazon and I have a Patreon where I give away everything I write while it's in progress.

7. - Top - End - #1147
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 540 No, and no.

Direct means "without intervening persons, influences, factors, etc.", so intervening clouds, or clouds plus rainfall, would keep the sunlight from being direct. Basically, if the Vampire can't see the sun, they won't be disoriented or destroyed.

A 541

Apart from blocking vision in one direction, the "window" of a Rope Trick is just an opening by which things can enter or leave the extradimensional space. You don't need special access procedures (no "opening" or "closing" the window) to get through in either direction, which means fireballs, missiles, and the like can also pass through (in either direction) without hindrance. To prevent spells from entering a space an opening must be less than 1 square foot, and the Rope Trick window is 15 square feet.

8. - Top - End - #1148
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 541

Apart from blocking vision in one direction, the "window" of a Rope Trick is just an opening by which things can enter or leave the extradimensional space. You don't need special access procedures (no "opening" or "closing" the window) to get through in either direction, which means fireballs, missiles, and the like can also pass through (in either direction) without hindrance. To prevent spells from entering a space an opening must be less than 1 square foot, and the Rope Trick window is 15 square feet.
    But still everything behind the window is not on the prime material plane (or wherever the rope rick was cast), so how can the fireball affect the contents of the extradimensional space?

9. - Top - End - #1149
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: A 541
    Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    But still everything behind the window is not on the prime material plane (or wherever the rope rick was cast), so how can the fireball affect the contents of the extradimensional space?
    That's a peculiarity of the Fireball spell, not most spells.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rope Trick
    Spells cannot be cast across the extradimensional interface, nor can area effects cross it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireball
    You point your finger and determine the range (distance and height) at which the fireball is to burst. A glowing, pea-sized bead streaks from the pointing digit and, unless it impacts upon a material body or solid barrier prior to attaining the prescribed range, blossoms into the fireball at that point. ... If you attempt to send the bead through a narrow passage, such as through an arrow slit, you must “hit” the opening with a ranged touch attack, or else the bead strikes the barrier and detonates prematurely.
    I think I actually misread the question, though. A Fireball detonated under the Rope Trick window won't affect the insides of that extradimensional space; the effect can't cross planar boundaries. However, Fireball can be cast under the Rope Trick and the bead shot through the window like any other ranged attack, and (assuming the spellcaster makes the ranged touch attack) will detonate inside. Neither the casting nor the area effect cross the planar boundary; those are separated by the ranged attack.

10. - Top - End - #1150

Q542

How does Overchannel interact with Regeneration?
    Quote Originally Posted by (Un)Inspired View Post
    Contingency is like playing chess but you get to make several moves on your turn, several on you opponents turn and you're allowed to rearrange the board when he gets up to go to the bathroom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Spite™! Obey your thirst...for VENGEANCE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    I'm not saying that nobody should play the marathon runner. I'm saying we should at least give him rollerblades.

11. - Top - End - #1151

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HaikenEdge View Post
    Q542

How does Overchannel interact with Regeneration?
    A 542 Unless the damage type that overchannel would do / is converted (if the damage is changed into an elemental form) into would bypass regeneration, overchannel is effected by Regeneration.

12. - Top - End - #1152
    Titan in the Playground

Q543 Does casting an immediate action spell like Lesser Deflect (PHII) provokes AoO?
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

13. - Top - End - #1153
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q544

When a character with Leadership dies, what happens to the Cohort & Followers if they are still alive and well?

14. - Top - End - #1154
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 543 No.

From page 86 of Complete Arcane:
    Casting a spell with a casting time of 1 swift action does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Immediate Action: Much like a swift action, an immediate action consumes a very small amount of time, but represents a larger expenditure of effort and energy than a free action. However, unlike a swift action, an immediate action can be performed at any time—even if it’s not your turn. ... Using an immediate action on your turn is the same as using a swift action, and counts as your swift action for that turn.
    This "AoO: No" property is also called out in the Actions in Combat table entry for "Cast spell (1 immediate action casting time)" in Rules Compendium, page 8.

A 544 Ask your DM.

These NPCs no longer have a PC they want to hang around with, so they're free to do whatever they want. The DM makes all such decisions for NPCs.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2014-04-19 at 11:00 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1155

Q545: Can someone point me to where it says Warforged do not get the bonus HP for being a Construct? Because the line is separate from not having a Con score and the Living Construct subtype makes no mention of losing that feature.
    Last edited by Komatik; 2014-04-20 at 10:18 AM.
    Nice guy =/= Good
    Jerk =/= Evil

I made a vampire template for 3.5e. PEACH?

16. - Top - End - #1156
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 545

This answer comes in two forms, easy and hard, depending on what books you have available. The hard answer is used if you rely on Eberron Campaign Setting. For that case, we start by noting that the bonus HP characteristic of the Construct type has a dependency:
    Traits

A construct possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).
    Because its body is a mass of unliving matter, a construct is hard to destroy. It gains bonus hit points based on size, as shown on the table.
    (See also Monster Manual on page 307.) Then we note that the Warforged entry in Eberron Campaign Setting has a full list of racial features
    Features: As a living construct, a warforged has the following features.
    on pages 23-24, and leaving out both "construct traits" and bonus hit points from that list is a way to "note otherwise" than the default for Construct creatures. So the hard answer is a mix of both what's present, and what's absent, in the books.

Now for the easy answer, starting with the Monster Manual III Warforged entry (pages 190-191). This also has, under Special Qualities, "living construct traits" rather than the "construct traits" found under creatures such as Animated Object. But that monster entry also refers to the Living Construct Subtype Glossary definition on page 215:
    Unlike other constructs, a living construct has a Constitution score. A living construct does not gain bonus hit points by size but gains (or loses) bonus hit points through a Constitution bonus (or penalty) as with other living creatures.

17. - Top - End - #1157
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Q546 I'm currently making a Rogue/Diviner/Unseen Seer for a high-level, low-powered game. I've decided to make my character blind, for roleplaying reasons. However, because everything has total concealment for me, I can't target spells. As a diviner, I have a plethora of ways to gain auxiliary sight and detection. Does the vision through scrying spells allow me to target spells? How about Mindsight? Blindsight? Pinpointing via Listen checks?
    Last edited by Infundibular; 2014-04-20 at 05:32 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1158
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q 547
    Can anyone confirm my stats here are all in accordance with RAW?
    I'm a druid 5/Planar Shepard 4(It's a high power campaign), wild-shaped into a Dire Bat with +2 Dragonhide Breastplate via Wilding Clasp. Thus:

AC is 24 (–1 size, +3 Dex, +5 natural, + 7 Armor) normally, and with Bite of The Wereboar(+8 Natural Armor) becomes 32.

I have initiative +6(dex), melee attack bonus +10(+7 class, +3 str), and ranged attack bonus +13(+7 class, +6 bat dex)

Saves are Fort 11(+8 class, + 3 bat dex), Ref +8 (+2 class, +8 bat dex), Will +13(+8 class, +5 wis)

It all seems a bit high to me, wondering if I forgot a rule or Druids are just this good.
    Last edited by HobbesB; 2014-04-20 at 09:20 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1159
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 546

The answers to your question depend on the particular capabilities used. In the case of Scrying the effect is a "Magical sensor" that your character would look at; if they have no ability to look at the sensor the spell won't help them. Mindsight would let the character determine what square(s) a particular intellect is in, but that would only let them target the location rather than the creature. Any other pinpointing mechanism (Listen checks, Blindsense, or the like) will work with the same limitations. Blindsight is the ability which has the most capability, with its own limits depending on the mechanism used. Whereas normal sight would cut out in the absence of light, a hearing-based Blindsight might be unreliable in a thunderstorm or noisy battle.

20. - Top - End - #1160
    Halfling in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Q 548

If enlarge person was cast on a human, followed by polymorph (human), what size would it be?

Could enlarge person be immediately cast on it again, and if so, what size would it be then?

21. - Top - End - #1161
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

A 548

I completely misread your question.

If you enlarge and then polymorph he would now be a medium creature again. He would retain the Size bonus/penalty to Str/Dex.

He wouldn't retain the -1 to AC/Atk, nor the 10ft space and reach because the spell directly link these with the increase in size.

You could cast enlarge person on him again, but since bonus from the same source don't add up, he'd now be a large human as if enlare person was just cast on him for the first time.

Edit: Swordsaged
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 2014-04-20 at 11:56 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1162
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 549

If I'm wielding a two handed weapon, can I use Deflect Arrow, or are both my hands considered "not free"?

What if I'm wielding a Bow?

23. - Top - End - #1163
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 549
    Benefit: You must have at least one hand free (holding nothing) to use this feat.
    You'll have to decide ahead of time (on your turn) whether you wish to drop a hand from a weapon. Doing so requires a free action, which can only be done on your turn. If you drop one hand from a two-handed weapon you're only holding it, not wielding it, and would no longer threaten any spaces with it and could not perform any attacks of opportunity; you would, however, qualify for the benefit of Deflect Arrows. You'd need to talk to your DM as to whether it would require a move action (the default for readying a weapon) to re-grip with your second hand when it's your turn again; your DM might permit it as a free action instead. (The rules don't specify the action for regripping.)

You need two hands to use a bow, but only one hand is used to hold it. A ranged weapon can't be used to make AoOs, so leaving one hand free (holding nothing) after you fire your last arrow for the round will have little impact on your attack options. It will enable use of Deflect Arrows, though. Drawing arrows for a bow you already hold is a free action; there's no extra action required to ready the bow for use on your next turn.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2014-04-21 at 02:39 AM.

24. - Top - End - #1164

OldWizardGuy

Q550 When trying to address a Power Stone (XPH) with Use Psionic Device is there a penalty for failure and what counts as a failure?

25. - Top - End - #1165
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q551

If a unicorn is given an Acorn of Far Travel specifically harvested from an oak tree form the unicorn's home forest, could he use his greater teleport power to get back to the forest even if currently outside of its boundaries?
    Last edited by St Fan; 2014-04-21 at 10:06 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

26. - Top - End - #1166
    Titan in the Playground

Q.552

If spellcaster A casts teleport, then caster B casts celerity, then caster A casts celerity to interrupt the celerity, would caster A be dazed before his original spell goes off?

27. - Top - End - #1167
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Q553a

Does a weirdstone block all divination spells period, or just scrying spells? For example, can I cast Tongues while inside the effect of a weirdstone?

Q553b

Does a weirdstone block all conjuration spells period, or just teleportation spells? For example, can I cast Wall of Stone while inside the effect of a weirdstone?
    I write professionally. My books are on Amazon and I have a Patreon where I give away everything I write while it's in progress.

28. - Top - End - #1168
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

A 553

Only Teleportation and Scrying spells. You can still use spells from other subschools from both schools.

29. - Top - End - #1169
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 554

The Stone Power feat says that you need to be standing on stone or unworked ground. Does that mean you can't wear boots/greaves, or does the whole "standing on" means you just need to not be flying or on top of a wooden floor?

30. - Top - End - #1170
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Q 555(!)

Does the Hexblade's/Spellthief's bonus on saves vs spells apply to non-spell trigger or spell-completion items, IE a ring of three wishes used to replicate a Polymorph Any Object spell?