New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXVI

A 051

You're overlooking the options for the Tiny or smaller creature to avoid the AoO that movement into another creature's square normally provokes. Those include using their own 5' step, making a successful Tumble check, and not being visually apparent (because you can't make an AoO against a character with total concealment).

Additionally, there's no requirement for very small creatures to enter melee combat. Their size bonuses work fine for ranged attacks also.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q53
    Can Quaal's Feather Token: Bird (DMG 264) be used to pinpoint an invisible creature?

3. - Top - End - #123
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Q 54

About 5ft steps:

Can you:

5ft step diagonally past an enemy? (H=Hero, E=Enemy, O=Space, O=intended Square)
    OHO
    OEO
    OOO

5ft step around a corner?

OHO
    --¬O
    __|O

Both examples assume that the line you draw from your square to the intended square crosses the barrier/enemy square while still measuring as 5 feet.

And can you actually 5ft step into an enemy's square if you're small enough? o0
    Last edited by kkplx; 2014-02-26 at 12:40 AM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

Re: A 46

Quote Originally Posted by TuggyNE View Post
    However, for purposes of spells specifically, attacks include any directly offensive action, including spells that do not have attack rolls. This is usually relevant for spells such as sanctuary that end if the caster makes an attack, but it would seem that greater blink uses the same definition, which is more specific than the general glossary definition. As such, it is technically possible.
    There is no such general rule. Only certain spells (invisibility etc.) have such a rule, Greater Blink does not. As such only the standard definition of attack applies.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD on Invisibility
    For purposes of this spell, an attack includes any spell targeting a foe or whose area or effect includes a foe.
    Contrary to what you and I thought Sanctuary does not use the extended definition:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    This spell does not prevent the warded creature from being attacked or affected by area or effect spells. The subject cannot attack without breaking the spell but may use nonattack spells or otherwise act.
    A 54
    Quote Originally Posted by kkplx View Post
    5ft step diagonally past an enemy? (H=Hero, E=Enemy, O=Space, O=intended Square)
    OHO
    OEO
    OOO

5ft step around a corner?

OHO
    --¬O
    __|O

Both examples assume that the line you draw from your square to the intended square crosses the barrier/enemy square while still measuring as 5 feet.
    Yes, but it would take several rounds, unless you are somehow allowed to make more then one 5 ft step.

Quote Originally Posted by kkplx View Post
    And can you actually 5ft step into an enemy's square if you're small enough? o0
    Only if the creature is or becomes helpless before the end of your movement:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    You can’t end your movement in the same square as another creature unless it is helpless.
    This by extension means that tiny and smaller creatures can only make standard attacks in melee and can only do so if they have the spring attack feat.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

A 46 dispute to the dispute

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Overview
    Some spell descriptions refer to attacking. All offensive combat actions, even those that don’t damage opponents are considered attacks. Attempts to turn or rebuke undead count as attacks. All spells that opponents resist with saving throws, that deal damage, or that otherwise harm or hamper subjects are attacks. Spells that summon monsters or other allies are not attacks because the spells themselves don’t harm anyone.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 053

Maybe, but only in the special case in which you are already able to designate the target. ("An invisible creature nearby" is not a target designation.) You could pinpoint the location of an invisible friend if you specified them as the target to the Bird, and then succeeded in a Spot check to see where the Bird delivered the note.

7. - Top - End - #127

A 54 correction
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB,Chapter 8, Tactical Movement, Measuring Distance,p147
    ...You can't move diagonally past a corner (even by taking a 5-foot step). You can move diagonally past a creature, even an opponent.
    Quote Originally Posted by DMG,Chapter 2, Big and Little Creatures in Combat, Mixing It Up,p29
    ...Creatures may occupy the same square if they are three or more size categories different.
    Look at that section for some detailed examples including opponents sharing squares while neither is helpless/unconscious.

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    A 54Only if the creature is or becomes helpless before the end of your movement:This by extension means that tiny and smaller creatures can only make standard attacks in melee and can only do so if they have the spring attack feat.
    This reference to 'only if... helpless' is too broad for a question about creature sizes.

This reference to tiny creatures and Spring Attack is simply not true.
    Last edited by Fitz10019; 2014-02-26 at 05:36 AM.

8. - Top - End - #128

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 053

Maybe, but only in the special case in which you are already able to designate the target. ("An invisible creature nearby" is not a target designation.) You could pinpoint the location of an invisible friend if you specified them as the target to the Bird, and then succeeded in a Spot check to see where the Bird delivered the note.
    Q53 followup
    A If I spend 3 rounds fighting a creature, then see him/her/it disappear (by potion/spell/SLA), and then activate the Bird feather token, will the bird successfully go to the invisible creature that I can only identify from this encounter?
    B If I am searching the office of a person I have met before, find a hot cup of tea, suspect that person is in the room invisibly or hiding, and then activate the Bird feather token, will the bird successfully go to the person?

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 053 followup

A You'll have to ask your DM. I don't of any RAW citations which would say if 3 rounds of combat, where you're concentrating on staying alive, would be enough acquaintance to designate a target suitably for a magic device. The spell Locate Creature would fail with such a poorly-known target. Parallels for magical identification exist for "viewed once" to designate a location (for Teleport), but that spell has a built-in degradation of effectiveness for poor targeting.

B Probably.

If they're invisible or nearby is not the issue; the ability to designate a target is. You may succeed in designating a target and have the Bird fly all the way across town when an acquaintance of the target has set down their beverage on the desk.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q55

What happens when a creature stops being a (I hesitate to use the word legal) lets say viable target for a spell?

I don't know of many examples but here are the one's I do know of,
    a) A Construct affected by Greater Humanoid Essence is then affected by Telepathic Bond or similar. What happens when the GHE duration expires and the Humanoid is now a Construct immune to mind-affecting?

b) A corpse is affected by Animate Objects but is then brought back to life by Resurrection or similar. What happens to the Animate Objects effect now that the corpse it was cast on is a living thing again?

If there is no RAW on these specific instances that's fine, but I suspect there's some RAW somewhere about spells affecting targets and what happens when those targets sudden;y become immune to those spells.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

A55 partial: No discussion has so far turned up any rules on this in the years I've been here, and I am reasonably certain from considerable study that Core has no such rule at all. Therefore I suspect there is no RAW answer, or if there is it is not widely known at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

How does "other squares" include the primary one? If this included the first square, this would either mean that one of the surrounding squares is not adjacent to the primary one or that the whole sentence is meaningless because it does not tell us the maximum number of squares each square is adjacent to but just an arbitrary number below that maximum.
    The "other" squares don't include the primary one. It's like saying "I have eight brothers in red shirts" doesn't imply that you have no brothers in yellow shirts. Just because there are eight other squares adjacent to the primary square doesn't mean that they are the only adjacent ones: the primary square itself is not "other", so it doesn't count as one of the eight. I claim that the primary square is adjacent to itself, making nine adjacent squares: eight "others", and one "same". If they wrote it out in full, the text would read "A square is adjacent to eight other squares [as well as to itself]."

Granted, this might not be intended. But it is what the rules say: the square itself does meet the criterion of sharing a side or corner, and it is not covered by the "eight other squares" clause.
    Last edited by Flame of Anor; 2014-02-26 at 08:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

13. - Top - End - #133

Quote Originally Posted by TuggyNE View Post
    A55 partial: No discussion has so far turned up any rules on this in the years I've been here, and I am reasonably certain from considerable study that Core has no such rule at all. Therefore I suspect there is no RAW answer, or if there is it is not widely known at all.
    I was afraid you'd say that.
    To my mind it becomes a binary problem then. Either they work and do as much as they can or they don't and stop applying when the target becomes illegal.

Thanks anyway RAW Q&A thread people. Seriously, you guys do not get enough thanks, so thank you for all your help past present and future.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Q 55 addendum:

If spells stopped functioning when their targets became invalid, then Greater Humanoid Essence all by itself would be dysfunctional: It targets constructs, and then immediately changes their type to humanoid.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Q 56

If a substitution level (for example, Zhentarim Fighter) grants a new skill as a class skill, is that applicable only at the level indicated, or for all future levels of the class? Taking the Zhentarim Fighter example, would the Fighter have to spend one skill point or two if he wanted to gain a single rank in Bluff at Fighter4?

16. - Top - End - #136
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q57

What the heck "Identify does not function when used on an artifact." means at the definition of Identify spell?

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

A57
    An Artifact is a special class of magical item. You can find a list of them here. They're usually very powerful. The wording of the spell means that if you attempt to cast Identify on an Artifact, the spell doesn't work.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    The "other" squares don't include the primary one. It's like saying "I have eight brothers in red shirts" doesn't imply that you have no brothers in yellow shirts. Just because there are eight other squares adjacent to the primary square doesn't mean that they are the only adjacent ones: the primary square itself is not "other", so it doesn't count as one of the eight. I claim that the primary square is adjacent to itself, making nine adjacent squares: eight "others", and one "same". If they wrote it out in full, the text would read "A square is adjacent to eight other squares [as well as to itself]."
    I disagree that that is the same as what the rules say.

Granted, this might not be intended. But it is what the rules say: the square itself does meet the criterion of sharing a side or corner, and it is not covered by the "eight other squares" clause.
    I disagree. All standard definitions of share as a transitive verb require a third party. So a square cannot share a border with itself.

19. - Top - End - #139

Re: Adjacent Squares: Time for a separate thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    Q 56

If a substitution level (for example, Zhentarim Fighter) grants a new skill as a class skill, is that applicable only at the level indicated, or for all future levels of the class? Taking the Zhentarim Fighter example, would the Fighter have to spend one skill point or two if he wanted to gain a single rank in Bluff at Fighter4?
    A56: Only at the level indicated. While the example you list is from a Champions of Valor web enhancement, neither the WE nor Champions of Valor has the below text:
    Quote Originally Posted by Races of the Dragon, pg 106
    When a substitution level changes the standard class’s Hit Die or class skill list, the change applies only to that substitution level, not to any other class levels
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

20. - Top - End - #140

BarbarianGuy

A 45

Yes, those are four different spells. Not only do you need to prepare them separately, you also have to learn them separately.
    A 45, Continuation:

Except for a Nar Demonbinder. They can spontaneously alter a known protection from X spell to any of the other alignments.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Halfling in the Playground

Imp

Hi everyone

Q58:In Polymorph Any Object Does the HD-Limit from Polymorhp still apply ?
    The assumed form can’t have more Hit Dice than your caster level (or the subject’s HD, whichever is lower), to a maximum of 15 HD at 15th level
    Q58-A If i (assume 15th level wizard) polymorph a 1hd commoner, could i choose from 1hd-only monsters or any form i choose is downgraded to 1hd (I refeer at the table of examples where a lizard (1/8HD) is transmuted to a Manticore (6HD)
    Q58-B Alter self no-template limitation still apply? (In Dragon 324p65 when I was browsing for that druid skin, I came across the actual recommendation of using Polymorph Any Object to turn a squirrel corpse into a templated dragon turtle. Domo Arigato Mr Roboto has been confirmed as RAI.)
    Last edited by TheG; 2014-02-26 at 12:26 PM.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 59

Let's say I'm a druid 5/Planar Shepherd 6 with the Realm of Dream (so magical beasts are OK no matter what), with a Skin of Keltar (which gives me +4 to my wildshape level, OP, I know) Does that allow me to turn into a huge creature with 15 HD? It's a bit unclear (http://www.scribd.com/doc/108544523/Dragon-Magazine-324 pg 76 or so)
    Last edited by TrueJordan; 2014-02-26 at 12:59 PM.

Trees: The greatest weapon in 3.5
    Avatar by the amazingly talented and generous Smuchmuch

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the art of war would read "Full casters or GTFO".

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 058 Yes.

A 058-A 1 HD creatures only.

The example table does not specify how many HD the Lizard to be turned into a Manticore has. You follow the text of the RAW instead of guessing at how the examples might include some unspecified exceptions.

A 058-B

No templates are allowed with Polymorph Any Object, as it inherits this restriction via Polymorph and Alter Self. A Dragon Turtle is not a templated creature, and the specific mention of Polymorph Any Object you reference does not include any templates:
    Of course, your DM might not always present such creatures for your party to slay, but that's why your necromancer has a transmuter ally with access to polymorph any object. The skeleton of a squirrel can become the dead body of a dragon turtle with the casting of a single spell.
    Corpses are objects and thus have no HD.

Polymorph Any Object is a problematic spell. Following the RAW, the Marionette to Human transformation would produce the corpse of a Human, because the spell provides no mechanism to create HD.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Q.60

If a Caster is protected by a solid fog and another caster throws an area version of dispel magic, can he attempt to dispel the fog and any 1 buff the hidden caster has on him?

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 060 Yes.

The operative word here is "try". There is no guarantee that the 20' radius burst of Dispel Magic would catch both the origin point of the Solid Fog spell and the spellcaster who cast the spell. In the worst case you would end up just temporarily dispelling part of the Solid Fog effect, which would immediately spread out again from its origin point.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 061:

Do familiars get their own turn each round or do they share it with their masters? If it is the former, what Initiative do they use? Does their Empathic Link have any mechanical impact on their master regarding Initiative, Flat-Footedness or Surprise Rounds?
    Thanks to zimmerwald1915 for giving me the random on-the-fly pic he made as an Avatar. You're awsome zimmerwald1915!

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Q. 062

Can a targeted spell like dispel magic, go through a cloudy conjuration with a 50% miss chance, or is it completely negated?

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

I disagree. All standard definitions of share as a transitive verb require a third party. So a square cannot share a border with itself.
    2b: "To have in common." Does not mention a third party.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

2b: "To have in common." Does not mention a third party.
    Can you have something in common with yourself?

30. - Top - End - #150

NecromancerGuy

Can you have something in common with yourself?
    Quote Originally Posted by That Link
    2 a : belonging to or shared by two or more individuals or things or by all members of a group
    Yes. The edge/corner belongs to all the members of the group of characters: {you}