New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 54 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXVI

Quote Originally Posted by broodax View Post
    Yes. The edge/corner belongs to all the members of the group of characters: {you}
    If you are talking about mathematical groups, yes, but in common parlance one is not a group. BTW {you} is never alone {you}={you,∅}
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2014-02-26 at 05:05 PM.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Q63

A fighter puts on a "bead of calming" (Arms & Equipment Guide p. 135). Assume this is a 3.5 game, and although the animal friendship spell no longer exists, we can use the "minor adjustment" clause from the 3.5 DMG to say that druids/rangers can identify this item by wearing it, and a friendly druid/ranger has done this already and explained its use to the fighter. There doesn't appear to be any text that says using the bead is linked to being able to identify it by yourself.

Can the fighter use the bead of calming to cast calm animals?

3. - Top - End - #153
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q: 64

I have an epic level leadership score of 62, which is off the printed chart. Attempting to continue the chart using the progression listed, the Extra Followers feat, the Legendary Commander feat, Orc Warlord prestige class; is my calculations below correct:

1st Level: 128,000; 2nd Level: 12,800; 3rd Level: 6,400; 4th Level: 3,200; 5th Level: 1,600; 6th Level: 800; 7th Level: 400; 8th Level: 200; 9th Level: 100; 10th Level: 50; 11th Level: 25; 12th Level: 13; 13th Level: 7; 14th Level: 4

Or is my math flawed?
    Last edited by Ruut; 2014-02-26 at 11:59 PM.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruut View Post
    Q: 775/63 (Not really understanding the Number System)

I have an epic level leadership score of 62, which is off the printed chart. Attempting to continue the chart using the progression listed, the Extra Followers feat, the Legendary Commander feat, Orc Warlord prestige class; is my calculations below correct:

1st Level: 128,000; 2nd Level: 12,800; 3rd Level: 6,400; 4th Level: 3,200; 5th Level: 1,600; 6th Level: 800; 7th Level: 400; 8th Level: 200; 9th Level: 100; 10th Level: 50; 11th Level: 25; 12th Level: 13; 13th Level: 7; 14th Level: 4

Or is my math flawed?
    A64

The book Power of Faerun has the rules for extreme numbers of Followers, among other things. It also uncouples the Cohort score and the Follower score so you have a normal leveled Cohort and many more Followers allowed than in the DMG.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Q65

Does Virtue stack with itself? If I cast it on the same person twice, can I give them 2 temporary HP?
    I write professionally. My books are on Amazon and I have a Patreon where I give away everything I write while it's in progress.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Halfling in the Playground

ClericGuy

Q66

Does DR work against falling damage?

7. - Top - End - #157
    Halfling in the Playground

Q67

Would a caster of an area Dispel Magic spell have his own spells affected if they
    fall within the spells area?

8. - Top - End - #158
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rev666 View Post
    Q66

A 66: Yes.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Dwarf in the Playground

Re-posting because of page change.

Quote Originally Posted by Zethex View Post
    Q 061:

Do familiars get their own turn each round or do they share it with their masters? If it is the former, what Initiative do they use? Does their Empathic Link have any mechanical impact on their master regarding Initiative, Flat-Footedness or Surprise Rounds?
    Thanks to zimmerwald1915 for giving me the random on-the-fly pic he made as an Avatar. You're awsome zimmerwald1915!

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglejarl View Post
    Q65

Does Virtue stack with itself? If I cast it on the same person twice, can I give them 2 temporary HP?
    No, spell effects don't normally stack, and this is no exception.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev666 View Post
    Q66

No, DR protects against certain things (weapons and natural attacks), falling damage not being on that list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude_Here View Post
    Q67

Would a caster of an area Dispel Magic spell have his own spells affected if they
    fall within the spells area?
    Yes, area spells have friendly fire by default, including yourself.Its just as if you had put yourself in the area of a fireball you cast.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Q68

Is it possible to starve to death?

According to the starvation rules, if you go long enough without eating you will eventually fall unconscious, and will continue taking nonlethal damage until you get food. Does nonlethal damage ever convert to lethal damage? Or, in a survival situation where you have 3 people and only enough food for 1, could you load 2 of the party on a wagon and have the one guy that you can actually feed spend a couple of months pulling you a thousand miles to food and safety?

Separately: Thank you to all the people who take the time to answer these questions. It's appreciated.
    Last edited by Eaglejarl; 2014-02-26 at 07:13 PM.
    I write professionally. My books are on Amazon and I have a Patreon where I give away everything I write while it's in progress.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Q 069

Is the Aberration Banemagic feat (LoM) superseded by the Bane Magic feat (HoH)? If not, could you take both, and apply effects from both if you chose Aberrations for the Bane Magic feat (i.e. +4d6 damage from your spells against aberrations)?

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

Q70

How do you get Telepathy, outside of being an Illithid or taking the level 5 Psion ACF?
    Just finding my roots again.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

A70

A few options:

- Helm of Telepathy
    - Telepathic Bond
    - Greater Telepathic Bond
    - Interplanar Telepathic Bond

There are probably others
    Last edited by Eaglejarl; 2014-02-26 at 08:59 PM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

A 70 Addition: The Mindbender PrC from Complete Arcane also gives telepathy.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.- Benjamin Franklin

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Evelyn Beatrice Hall

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

A 070 cont.

As per lists of stuff:
    • Telepathic Bond, spell, SRD
    • Mindlink, power, XPH
    • Animal Lord 8, ecl 13, Complete Adventurer, 100' with selected animal totem
    • Mindbender 1, ecl 6, Complete Arcane, 100'
    • Incarnate 7 (Tiefling substitution level), Magic of Incarnum, 100'
    • Shedu Crown, soulmeld, Magic of Incarnum, 100'
    • Soulspeaker Circlet, soulmeld, Magic of Incarnum, 20'/essentia
    • Ghostwise Halfling, race (LA+0), Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, 20'
    • Hellbred (spirit aspect), race, Fiendish Codex II, 100' at 15 HD
    • Psion 5 (Telepath), Mind's Eye expanded class (link), 5'/manifester level
    • Demonbinder 1, ecl 8, Drow of the Underdark, 100'
    • Planeshifter 7, ecl 16, Manual of the Planes, 100'

17. - Top - End - #167
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 71

Can you make functional arrows for yourself with Profession (Fletcher)? If yes, is there any specific cost/time/effort involved according to RAW? Can you make magical arrows like a crafter?
    Last edited by Zethex; 2014-02-26 at 09:55 PM.
    Thanks to zimmerwald1915 for giving me the random on-the-fly pic he made as an Avatar. You're awsome zimmerwald1915!

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 71

You use the Craft skill for making things, not Profession. Making arrows would probably fall under Craft (bowmaking). To make magical arrows, you need to be a spellcaster and take the Craft Magic Arms & Armor feat.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglejarl View Post
    Q68

Is it possible to starve to death?

According to the starvation rules, if you go long enough without eating you will eventually fall unconscious, and will continue taking nonlethal damage until you get food. Does nonlethal damage ever convert to lethal damage? Or, in a survival situation where you have 3 people and only enough food for 1, could you load 2 of the party on a wagon and have the one guy that you can actually feed spend a couple of months pulling you a thousand miles to food and safety?

Separately: Thank you to all the people who take the time to answer these questions. It's appreciated.
    A 68

Yes, it is possible to starve to death in D&D. The Rules Compendium has closed the loophole. The following rule appears on page 140:

"A creature that falls unconscious from nonlethal damage due to starvation or thirst begins to take the same amount of lethal damage instead."

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    If you are talking about mathematical groups, yes, but in common parlance one is not a group. BTW {you} is never alone {you}={you,∅}
    We left "common parlance" behind a long time ago. If we're bringing in dictionary definitions, it's certainly licit to bring in mathematical definitions too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    We left "common parlance" behind a long time ago. If we're bringing in dictionary definitions, it's certainly licit to bring in mathematical definitions too.
    Isn't the scope of the mathematical definition limited to questions of mathematics?
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 061

All characters follow the same initiative determination procedure unless otherwise stated, and there's nothing in the rules which overrides this for familiars.

A 062

A targeted spell with an invalid target is not negated; instead, the casting fails and the spell is lost with no effect.
    Spell Failure

If you ever try to cast a spell in conditions where the characteristics of the spell cannot be made to conform, the casting fails and the spell is wasted.
    A 069

These are different feats with different names. Their benefits will stack with each other.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Q.072

If someone is hit by an antimagic ray and they have X number of buffs on them, are these supressed, or do they continue to function?

For example, someone with haste, protection from good, cat's grace, etc. Would the ray remove them for the spell's duration?

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 072

All spells or magical effects are suppressed for the duration of the Antimagic Ray effect.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Q73
    A warrior + a prestige
    "+1 level of existing class" Does it mean a warrior will get bonus warrior feat (according to his lvl)?
    Beware my incredibly noobish questions!

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

A 73

No, the Warrior does not get any bonus feats. You are probably thinking about the Fighter. If so, the answer is still no most likely, since nearly all classes I can think of that have this line in their table (which is under the header spellcasting BTW), explain in their rules text that this only refers to spellcasting. What PrC are you talking about?
    I can only think of one exception: The Legacy Champion. He gets the class features of another class as if he leveled in that class. In this case you could get the fighter bonus feats.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    A 73

No, the Warrior does not get any bonus feats. You are probably thinking about the Fighter. If so, the answer is still no most likely, since nearly all classes I can think of that have this line in their table (which is under the header spellcasting BTW), explain in their rules text that this only refers to spellcasting. What PrC are you talking about?
    I can only think of one exception: The Legacy Champion. He gets the class features of another class as if he leveled in that class. In this case you could get the fighter bonus feats.
    A 073 cont.

Uncanny Trickster also advances class features, similarly to Legacy Champion, and would also grant Fighter bonus feats as appropraite.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Q.072 A (continued)

In the aforementioned case, that someone got hit with an antimagic ray and had his buffs suppressed, what would happen if said target were in a magical space, such as a Force Cage? Would he be able to walk out of it easily?

What about drinking a potion to heal himself?

29. - Top - End - #179
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Q74

Wall of Magma says, in part:
    If any 5-foot section of the wall takes 40 points of cold damage or more in a round, that section hardens into normal stone (hardness 8, 15 hit points per inch of thickness), which can then be chipped or broken as normal (DC 20 Strength check, +2 per inch of thickness).

Does the "normal stone" vanish at the end of the spell's duration?

Q75

Celestial Brilliance is cast on "an object", but it doesn't specify size. If I create a Wall of X (Magma, Stone / Iron / Salt / Whatever) that is several hundred feet long and cast CB on it, will the entire Wall emit light?

Q76
    If I cast CB on a stick and then split the stick in half, do both halves glow?
    Last edited by Eaglejarl; 2014-02-27 at 08:45 AM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 074 Yes.

All parts of the Wall of Magma disappear at the end of the spell's duration.

A 075 No.

The effect of the spell is the same regardless of the size of the object touched. A radius effect is always with respect to an origin point. The most obvious point would be where the object was touched, but the RAW doesn't actually specify where the point is; it only requires there to be such a point.

A 076 No.

There can only be one origin point for a radius effect. You would need to ask your DM if either piece piece still glows when the original object is broken, since the rules don't indicate what happens then.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2014-02-27 at 09:22 AM.