New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Skulls and Shackles IC

Thok had started down, hoping Scourge had noted that he'd finished the climb and had his time. On the way, he passed the den-mother, who seemed to be doing just fine on her way up.

He kept on, slowly and steadily, and glanced up on a fluke.

And saw her falling.

He spun his feet into the ropes, , rough hand launched outward to grab her belt as she passed, murmuring a prayer to Besmara that his strength not fail him now.

Spoiler
    Show

Gonna go out on a limb and say that Betsy won't mind being caught, and her Dex won't hinder Thok's attempt to do so.

Touch Attack to Catch Betsy, AC 10 (1d20+4)[23]

Climb check to hold them both up if he does catch her, DC 20 (1d20+8)[17]

Reflex roll to put himself on the bottom if he catches her but can't hold them both up (fails by 5 or more), so he takes the brunt of the damage. Believe it or not, that's something he would reflexively do in this scenario. I have no idea what the DC for that would be.
    (1d20+5)[14]
    78% of DMs started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

In a small village, during the Rite of Passage for some promising young warriors.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Betsy was falling. Her eyes flashed to the Pirate Flag, the symbol of the Pirate Queen, Besmara. So this was the end, huh? All those dreams she had of the future, of rebuilding her family name on the High Seas, it was going to end this way.

Falling from the rigging. How embarass- why hello there.

A hand.

It had grabbed her arm, but she was going too fast, she felt herself slipping away. Her other hand reached over and grasped the hand, and this time, she held on. She swung from the open space to smash into the rigging hard and heavy, not letting go of that hand for a second, the wind knocked out of her momentarily.

My Queen, I'll never doubt you again. she silently apologized to the deep blue sea.

Her one unpatched blue eye peered up at her savior, beaming her wordless thank you. She finally managed to whisper breathlessly up at him, "You win. Help me down?"

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Thok grunted as the tendons in his shoulder screamed at him to let the woman go, but praise be to Besmara that she was able to hold on. He looked down at her, breathing a sigh of relief.

"It would be my pleasure," He said, voice carrying just far enough for Betsy to hear. Thok closed his eyes tight as he strained to bring his arm up, giving Betsy the opportunity to hold onto his neck and shoulders so he could get his hands back to climbing.

Luckily for the both of them, she was a pretty slight thing for her height, and no longer racing anyone, the Hobgoblin brought them down to the safety of the deck without trouble.

"I think she's done, sirs. No place up in the ropes, for her." He said, placing himself between the duo of Messrs Plugg and Scourge, and Betsy.
    78% of DMs started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

In a small village, during the Rite of Passage for some promising young warriors.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Many of the pirates hooted and cheered when the hobgoblin caught the woman and helped her down to the ground. Plugg, however, did not seem so pleased, forever wearing his best grimace, especially when the monk spoke. "Oh? Is that your decision you worthless little ape? Don't ye be tellin' me what jobs are best for who. If I want this incompetent girl to dance on the mast while wearing that ****in' rat as a scarf, she damned well better."

"Mister Plugg." A familiar, powerful voice spoke, cutting off the first mate's tirade. "I think perhaps this lady will make a fine swab, don't you? 'No place in the ropes for her,' as our new recruit said. Though, I think she had as much to do with catching herself as he did." Captain Harrigan approaches from the side, an imposing figure up close. He crosses the deck with the confident stride of an experience sailor.

"Cap'n..." the first mate says slowly, watching his tone. "I thought ye wanted to leave the new recruits to me."

"Perhaps I changed my mind, Mister Plugg. Do you have a problem with me making decisions aboard my own ship?" The Garundi man raises a single eyebrow.

The first mate practically grinds his teeth. "No, Captain."

The captain gives a single nod. "Good. As you were, then." He turns to Betsy and Thok, no compassion in his gaze. "I would have your names."

5. - Top - End - #35

RedWizardGuy

Happy to once again have her feet on the ground, she saw a bit of a ****storm brewing and she wished, inwardly, that Thok had just kept his mouth shut and let the First Mate and his Toady make the obvious call themselves. When the Captain interceded she had a sinking feeling. This wasn't going to end well.

"I'm Betsy." She peered at the Captain, trying not to ogle him disrespectfully, but also trying to pay him his due respect as the ship commander. "Betsy Drake, sir. At your service, Captain." When she said her full name, there was almost a hint of dramatic reveal to it. Leave it to the Bard to make theater out of everything.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Kreiya

Ugh. Climbing. There was only one type of climbing she liked and it sure as heck was not this sort, if ya know what I mean.

Wink. What was this? Bootcamp? She raised a brow as she looked up the rigging and let out an amused snort. Right her, climbing this. Unfortunately, it did not seem that declining was a real choice, damn it. She watched as others before her took to Mister Plugg's test. She grimaced as Plugg approached her and Betsy, she could practically see the spittle fly off his lips. Ooh, did she have some words for him, mostly about investing in some mint leaves and about how he could go **** himself with his whip. But she kept on the expression of ass kissing compliance and dutifully nodded her head with a 'Yes sir!'.

When Betsy took to climbing rather disastrously as she neared the top, she did take on a look of startled-ness as the girl fell. Her instinct was to help, but she was not quick enough as the well muscled hobgoblin caught her. Well, that was good. When the captain appeared and spoke, she sorta just fell back from climbing, feeling awkward and confused on whether she should climb now or after their exchange.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Well, Mazin thinks to himself as he lies flat on his back, that could have gone a little worse. I did draw a bit too much attention to myself though. I do need to be more careful in the future. On the bright side, maybe now the pirates will let their guard down around me...

From the base of the rigging, Mazin gets a good view of the Thok's actions and feels his respect for the hobgoblin swell slightly. I'll definitely need to make his acquaintance later. He'll be a useful ally to have here. And he seems to be the honest type. Yes, I like that.

Mazin chuckles inwardly at Plugg's rat-scarf comment as well as Plugg's exchange with the Captain. The desperate words of a fronting fool trying to hang on to the small scrap of power and authority he thinks he has.

Damn, who's Drake? The way she said that name... it sounded real important...

Mazin tugs again at the empathic connection to Scoundrel. Damned scorpion! Where are you...
    Spoiler: PbP Games
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Thok stands straighter at Captain Harrigan's presence, looking the gargantuan man in the eye and doing his absolute damnedest to raise his voice up to an acceptable level.

"Most call me Thok, sir. If'n that's not to yer likin', call me what ye please: Don't change my skill to serve ye and the ship, Captain." He still didn't have a bead on Harrigan. The man was hard, but whether he stopped Plugg's retaliation because he was merciful, impressed, or interested in dishing out the pain himself was going to be a much finer marker of his character.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

The captain once more raises a single eyebrow. "Drake... That's a name I've not heard in a while. You're one of his, then? I don't put much stock in blood, so on my ship, that name only carries as much weight as you make it."

He then turns to the monk. "Thok." He pauses after the name, as if tasting it. "It serves well enough. As will you, I hope."

Behind the captain, a finely dressed woman holding a staff approaches, though she stays a distance away from the group. "The ratfolk will receive one rope bash as punishment for his failure. Miss Drake will receive none." The captain says as he turns away. He nods in the direction of the woman. "Pepper, please see to it that none of my crew fall to their deaths." The woman responds with a smirk and a nod, directing her gaze upwards disinterestedly as the captain returns to his cabin.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Hallrún made a leap that would clear a tall ork, hitting the rigging with a force that caused need for a moment's respite. A steady climb followed, up to the nigh-top, when an outcry caught his attention. It's source a damsel in distress, a distress quickly tended to by a knight in shiny...breaches?
    Not much to do about the situation the northerner closed the gap to the top, looked out over the waters and filled his lungs, before climbing down and otherwise not paying much mind to the commotion.
    Last edited by Escheton; 2014-02-26 at 05:51 PM.
    "Quick Draw. It grants the ability to turn any boring non-combat scenario into combat as a FREE ACTION."-Deleted User

Handy links:

11. - Top - End - #41

RedWizardGuy

Once the captain was well clear, Betsy muttered something so quiet that only Thok, who was standing so close to her could hear. It wasn't the kind of thing that an obviously nice girl like Betsy should say. "****."

She glanced toward the First Mate and his Toady, for just an instant. They had their authority stripped for a moment, and the Captain, in his ****able wisdom, had decided to spare Betsy the lash. She knew that would make those sadistic bastards chomp at the bit to have a second chance. And probably with Thok too, her savior.

She was hatching a plan to take the heat herself. Maybe throw some racial slurs at Thok and make it seem like she was ungrateful for his help. But she was too torn to decide quickly. The lanky blue-eyed Sea-Singer was trying to balance her desire to help Thok with her own desire to avoid getting beaten up without a good reason.

She rationalized it in the end. Thok was obviously the hero type. He was just going to **** these sadistic ****s off eventually. Better that he did it with her instead of someone else. She might not be able to save Thok, but at least if they were in the same situation together, she could help mitigate the damage.

Besides, they seemed to make a good team. He had the brawn, and she obviously had the good looks and brains. She nudged him subtly with her elbow. "Watch your back. We've been noticed."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Damn. Something definitely happened there. Was Drake a pirate captain then? And only one rope bash for me... I feel like I got off easy there, Mazin thinks, eyeing the cat o' nine tails, I suppose those two took some of the heat off me. Either way, I definitely like our captain better than that Plugg bastard.

Mazin's relief floods into the empathic link...

---

Scoundrel feels his master's emotions of panic, anxiety shift to calm, relief and clicks his claws contentedly (but not too loudly, lest he be heard). The scorpion continues to bide his time, waiting under the bed. Scoundrel's boredom starts to flow through the empathic link...

---

Really? That's what you're feeling right now?? Damned scorpion, Mazin thinks, sending back mild annoyance through the link, but anyhow, I hope we can get this punishment over with quickly. And I also need to start thinking ahead about my long-term plans here on this ship. I'll need to make some allies. And Plugg's going to get what's coming to him.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Thok listened to Betsy's oaths, and her warning, arms crossed and nodding subtly so she knew he heard her. When she finished, he tilted his head over to reply, his own voice already a real bitch to eavesdrop on without lowering it any.

"Yes. If getting yourself out of the line of fire means throwing me to the sharks," he turned and one corner of his mouth rose in a sad smile, "then no hard feelings."

Big'n'burly's small praise turned his head the other direction, and he nodded his thanks for it. For one last, brief moment, he looked at the cuckolded Scourge and Plugg from the corner of his eye.

I think I'm going to die on this boat.

He was aware of Betsy, friendly and good-hearted, with a name to live up to on his left. The ratman behind him, and his comical efforts to draw heat off of himself. The big, bold bastard to his right seemed a little thick, but at least he had a backbone. The elf was clearly a warrior, and Thok surmised that were he properly armed, his training wouldn't stand up to whatever he brought swinging or firing into a duel, but he seemed tempered and patient. Then there was the other woman: Not much of a bead on her yet, but like him, she seemed a proper sailor, willing to work under any captain's flag as long as the cuts were fair and the conduct wasn't too harsh.

He smiled to himself, probably looking to the non-Hobgoblins around him like some strange grimace, or like something wicked was creeping around between his ears.

But at least this lot seems a good enough bunch to spend your last days with.
    Last edited by Julian928; 2014-02-26 at 07:58 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Kreiya

Oh how that just sucked.

Kreiya breathed heavily as she finally got down from the rigging, her upper body muscles burning. Those forty two seconds felt like forever. More than she would have liked, she found herself needing to catch her breath as she climbed. Ugh.

"Gods I feel out of shape,"
    Kreiya declared, leaning forward, resting her hands on her knees. "Water.....ack.....I could use me some water right now, mate."

15. - Top - End - #45

RedWizardGuy

Betsy rolled her sky-colored eye at Thok's suggestion that she was going to throw him to the sharks. After all, he had just saved her life. What kind of person did he think she was?

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

"Feel free to take a swim," Plugg responded, pointing over the side of the boat. He was the picture of calm, as if he hadn't just been embarassed in front of hus crew. The boatswain, however, Master Scourge, did not have the same composure, and he was practically snarling at Thok. "Now gather 'round, you lazy mongrels. What's the count on the girl?"

"Four tens an' one!"

"Forty!" Chummlet and Bansion, a fat man with a shaved head and a sneering woman with big ears called out different counts at the same time.

"You were both watchin' the same… Whatever! She lost! Maheem! What's the count on the elf?"

"Twenee-eight, suh." The Rahadoumi man called out.

As times continued to be called out, Kreiya would feel someone nudge her. It was a slender, olive-skinned with burgundy hair. She was dressed in a way to accentuate her figure, and everything about her spoke of the sea, from the seagull feather in her tricorne hat to the sailor tattoos on her arms and the clay pipe thrust into her wickedly smiling mouth. She winks at Kreiya and hands her a canteen of water. "Thirsty, luv?"

"Tate! The count on the man!"

The dwarf smirks, glancing at Scourge. "Twenty-five."

"And the ape?" Plugg asked at last.

The boatswain spits on the deck then grins, showing off his golden teeth. "I believe it were twenty-six."

The woman Harrigan had referred to as Pepper lets out a chuckle and turns away, sauntering back to the officer's cabin.

Plugg pretends not to notice. "You're the new rigger, then, giant. Best get learnin' knots. Now. Any of you worthless scum know how to cook?"
    Last edited by TheVitulus; 2014-02-27 at 09:38 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

When Plugg looked away to go be a **** to others, Kreiya discretely flipped him the bird, keeping her hand at her sides. She was mildly startled by the burgundy haired woman. She flashed her a crooked a smile and nodded her head.

"My hero, swoon,"
    She managed to let herself briefly and quietly chuckle and accepted the canteen of water, bringing it to her lips and taking a hearty sip as if though she had never had water before.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Hallrún lets the bullet pass, looking around to see if anyone's ego is boistered by the query. He then replies, firmly but without arrogance "I know my way around a fire, sir." That last word had trouble leaving his mouth and left a snarl on his face for about a microsecond. The elf still had trouble accepting the boatswain's authority. Not having shown any particular skill yet. "As well as around fish-intestines, saus-pans, fine chocolate and whatever else. What do we have to work with here exactly?"
    Last edited by Escheton; 2014-02-27 at 10:40 AM.
    "Quick Draw. It grants the ability to turn any boring non-combat scenario into combat as a FREE ACTION."-Deleted User

Handy links:

19. - Top - End - #49

RedWizardGuy

Betsy shook her head. She didn't know how to cook. She especially didn't want to have her arms elbow deep in fish parts all day. Blech.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Thok shrugged at Scourge: He hadn't been counting, so whether the number was a lie of spite or genuine, he mentally wished the big fella luck. Working the upper deck meant being directly under Plugg and Scourge, and that was something Thok was more than happy to avoid. He'd be a swab, most like, or maybe they'd take him on as the surgeon.

When Plugg asked about cooking, he stared passively. Regardless of his moral temperament, Thok was still a hobgoblin, and the only things he had ever learned to cook were goblin cuisine. That meant things like vermin he caught in the bilges on a spit, or maybe just raw.

Thok did not cook.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

"I cook," Mazin volunteers, "and I'm damned good at it too. I've spent much of my life as a fisherman. Might even be the only thing I can do around here without screwing up."

Mazin gives a shrug, as if it's no big deal, but inwardly he is very intent on getting that position.

Spoiler
    Show
    Prescience roll: (1d20)[12]
    Bluff roll to influence Plugg's decision: (1d20)[6]
    Taking higher roll, add Bluff modifier: +5
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

"An elf and a rat," Plugg sneered. "The rest of you are even more useless than them, huh?"

"At least th' elf's got muscles." Scourge piped in. "****in' rat couldn't lift a squirrel."

Plugg considers it for a moment, tugging at his thin goatee. "Fine. Rat in the kitchen. Might give Fishguts a stroke and then we'll finally get a chance to replace him. Arrite. Rest of ye go to your duties. Tippin and Shortstone stay."

As all of the pirates except for Plugg, Scourge and the two he called out, a barefoot woman and a handsome, eyepatch-wearing gnome in a foppish, feathered hat who was one of the four new recruits, disperse, the red-haired woman, who was another of the four, smiles at Kreiya. "That's me, then. Hold on t' that for now. Gives me an excuse t' come find ye later." She gives her another wink before leaving.

When the everyone was gone, Plugg speaks again. "Arrite, you scum. The rest of you are swabs from here on out and you report directly to Master Scourge. The new rigger will report to me. You will come on deck every morning after breakfast when Master Scourge blows the whistle and work your duties until dusk. Any who are excessively or repeatedly late or shirk their duties will be punished. Rat, get to the galley and report to Fishguts." He points to Henry. "You and Shortstone are with Tippin here. She'll show you the ropes. Master Scourge, I leave the swabs to you."

With that, Plugg turns and leaves and Scourge steps forwards. "Arrite, ye swabs. Elf, git on up t' th' helm. Ye'll be runnin' messages f'r th' captain. Girl," he points at Kreiya. "Ye're down in the lower deck. Ye'll find a foulmouthed halfling named Cusswell down there. We've got a rat probl'm and th' two of ye are gunna take care of it. Thok, Miss Drake," the boatswain grins viciously. "Ye're mannin' the bilges."
    Last edited by TheVitulus; 2014-02-27 at 07:17 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Thok nodded to the boatswain, with an "Aye, Master Scourge," and immediately made way for the belowdecks. Bilge work was some of the worst, and he and Betsy would need to expect it for a time. Once out of earshot of the officers, he slowed his pace enough to allow for conversation, some of the very little he planned to say during their first day's efforts.

Miss Drake, your legs are good, so I take it this isn't your first time to sea. That bein' the case, you know how little fun this is going to be, and I'd recommend we both work out finest at it for a time. They're not going to let up on us until they find a task we either fail miserably at or seem to hate, so swing your pick with a smile until the men on top think that the **** work is the kind you love the most. Aye?" And that was mostly it. He'd entertain conversation from Betsy, but for the most part, just with ways of saying "yes, no, maybe, I don't know."

Regardless of whether Betsy decided to heed his advice or go her own way, Thok set down to a hard day's labor with gusto.

Spoiler
    Show

Working diligently, and taking the +4 to avoid fatigue.

Strength: (1d20+4)[18]

Fatigue: (1d20+5)[16]

It was as awful as expected, and he no doubt smelled the worse for it, but Thok cracked at his assigned duties until his pumps were flowing clean enough to live on, if one had to. Not only that, but he went about it smart enough and with the right amount of effort applied that when the sun hung low in the sky, he was not only clear-headed, but more aware and alert than when they had been so rudely woken in the hold.
    Last edited by Julian928; 2014-02-27 at 11:30 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

"Hahah, right, til then sweetness," Kreiya lifted the canteen towards the red haired woman and clicked her tongue, then grinned. Alright, so mayhaps, this...predicament wouldn't be all terrible. Her time as a privateer, she felt, did not prepare her for this. Ya know, being treated like she was a ****stain by the captain and his ill tempered lash loving toad.

Oi.
    ---

Her ****eating grin faltered when she heard she was going to be playing rat exterminator. Gross. Ahem. Well, at least it was better than pumping the bilges, that there was some nasty nasty. She gave Betsy and Thok pitying look before looking back at Scourge.

"Aye sir.."
    She glanced away and grimaced.
    ===
    ===
    Spoiler: Rat Catching Roll
    Show

Using Stealth for Ratcatching-(1d20+8)[10]

(OOC: I wouldn't mind a scene with this Cusswell, DM, let us find out who this named NPC is!)

(Omg...just bloody barely...xDx)
    Last edited by Benson; 2014-02-28 at 05:34 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

"Errand-boy...very fortunate. Should give me plenty of time looking around, and unless the Captain is paranoid and everyone aboard can read and write I might learn a thing or two."

Having good balance and quick feet Hallrún performed his duty without trouble. In fact, he found it quite enjoyable. Full speed, sea air in his beard. Back on the open seas. Yeah, the times he forgot his place it was nice. The times he was verymuch aware of the situation he was constantly looking for ways to tip the scales in his favor. Even opting against rest the first night to really get a good feel of the place, sneak around, maybe find something he could use.

Spoiler: Shipactions and misplaced rations
    Show

Stealth check to dispose of rum discretely DC10: (1d20+7)[14]

Daytime action: [Sneak, exploring what seems the location with the highest traffic and chance of getting caught was he not acting as a runner],
    Perception to notice/find something of use (1d20+6)[16]

Nighttime action: [Sneak, trying for areas with low traffic/risk]
    Perception take 20: 26
    Stealth to avoid notice: (1d20+7)[13]

Going for 2 bonus actions, Fatigue next day DC18: (1d20)[7]

Nighttime action*: [Sneak, trying for areas with low traffic/risk]
    Stealth to avoid notice: (1d20+7)[18]

Nighttime action*: [Sneak, trying for areas with low traffic/risk]
    Stealth to avoid notice: (1d20+7)[23]

Finally, checks to learn about the ship and the captain while running errands:
    Profession (sailor): (1d20+8)[16]
    Sense Motive: (1d20+5)[18]
    Perception: (1d20+6)[23]
    Last edited by Escheton; 2014-02-28 at 06:51 AM.

Handy links:

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

"Yes sir," Mazin says to Plugg before scurrying away to the galley. Seems like Plugg forgot to administer the punishment of a single rope bash. Ha! And I got the least demanding job on the ship. Pretty lucky of me. Now, just who exactly is this 'Fishguts' I wonder... that is quite a strange name!

Spoiler
    Show
    I guess I'll wait and see how the interaction with Fishguts turns out before I decide on my daily actions.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57

RedWizardGuy

Day one aboard this terrible ship. Bilge duty. It's been ages since Betsy has had to do this, but she struggled to forget why she was spared this duty so often. No, just block it out.

No, as bad as this was, it could be worse, the Scion of the Seas of the reminded herself. She smiled sideways over at Thok. He was working hard. She decided to follow his plan, and work hard too at the task. In fact, she pretended like it was fun.

She made an effort to tell Thok a few jokes as they worked, and then she laughed at her own humor. She taught Thok some work songs, songs that would help them time their teamwork better if they kept the rhythm. Songs he may have been somewhat familiar with, but probably never got the kind of insight into them that Betsy the Sea-Singer could give him.

All in all, the blue-eyed bard tried to have a legitimately good time, in the Bilge with Thok, and threw herself into her work. His plan did have merit after all. And besides, if the other swabs heard how much fun it was down there, they might volunteer to take their place. The thought amused the daylights out of Betsy and she laughed and shared it to him with a whisper, even as they continued the onerous, brutal task of cleaning the brackish waters in the confined dark space.

It would not be much of a stretch to say that though Betsy was not only extremely helpful and teamwork oriented at the job, the blonde seafarer certainly was probably one of the most pleasant companions with which to share such miserable work. High spirits helped keep the exhaustion at bay!

Spoiler: Day 1: Work Task (Cleaning the Bilge)
    Show
    Bilge Rolls! Taking the +4 bonus to resist Fatigue. Hoping that Thok might be able to pick up her slack a little if she falters on the actual labor, not that she is any stranger to hard labor at all, but this is grueling!

Strength Check (1d20+2)[8] at DC 12
    Constitution Check (1d20+4)[6] at DC 10

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Spoiler: Henry
    Show
    The gnome pales at the threat, the feather in his hat even seeming to droop. "Ah, erm, yes! Always best to have friends, I say! Oh, yes. I wouldn't want to make an enemy. Especially not of someone so very... tall." He keeps babbling for a long while until Tippin yells at him to pay attention.

Spoiler: Hallrún
    Show
    When Hallrún reached the wheel, the captain was manning the helm with the woman from before a few steps away, watching the deck disinterestedly. Her gaze moved to the elf for a short moment before turning back, though Harrigan did not seem to acknowledge his presence.

"That sort of pettiness is beneath him." the captain said, continuing their conversation.

"I'd say it's pretty par for the course as far as he's concerned, sir," Pepper replied.

Harrigan grunted. "I expect more."

"I know you do sir, but he's simply not ready."

Harrigan sighed then nodded slowly. "I know. He has much to learn." That seemed to be the end of the conversation, and neither spoke for a long while.

Below on deck, Henry blundered, causing Pepper to wince. "Plugg's chosen poorly again. That boy's no rigger."

Harrigan grunted again. "He will learn." He didn't clarify whether he was talking about Plugg or Henry.

"Are you still planning to celebrate even with the business with Magpie?" The woman asked, changing the subject. "That's not exactly business that whets the appetite."

"Tradition is important, Pepper. You know that. Sailors are a superstitious lot and Grok has enough superstition to man a boat by herself. If she doesn't eat a pig and pray to Besmara every time we start a voyage, she'll probably dump all of our supplies in the sea to appease the Pirate Queen."

Pepper chuckled at that. "She and Fishguts'll probably be to drunk to remember tonight anyway, but I see your point."

"Elf." Harrigan said, finally acknowledging Hallrún's presence. "Tell me your name so I don't have to keep calling you elf then run down to the galley and tell the cook to prepare one of the pigs."

Spoiler: Thok and Betsy
    Show
    The Thok and Betsy were joined by a large, scowling half-orc man down in the bilges along with a weasel-faced human in one of six pairs of manacles attached to the bulkheads.

"Jape! Jape!" The man kept saying as they worked the pump. "Tell me a joke! Just one. C'mon, buddy! I'm dead anyway! Just one joke! How'd you get that name anyway? C'mon! Tell me a joke! Before I die!"

The half-orc never responded except with his middle finger and, in fact, never made a sound.

Spoiler: Kreiya
    Show
    When Kreiya reached the lower hold, she would hear loud cursing coming from the opposite side of the room. Following the sound, she'd find a halfling's butt sticking up in the air, the rest of the woman under one of the crew's bunk.
    "Git 'ere, ye ****in' little ****! I'll chop yer ****in' 'ead off, see if I don't! Got ye cornered, ye little *******! Aaaaand... Gotcha!" There was a loud series of squeaks and then silence. The woman slowly wiggled back from under the bunk, breathing heavily, a handaxe at her side and a bloody dagger held by her well-muscled arm. "Take that, ye ****in' rat. Won't be tauntin' me with yer ****in' squeaks no more. Yeah! **** you!" When she finally calms down, she turns, only to jump at seeing Kreiya. "Who the ****'re you?"

Spoiler: Mazin
    Show
    When the wizard reached the galley, he'd open it to find a complete mess of a kitchen. Sitting on the ground among the chaos was a short, fat man with a black chicken sitting on his shoulder and a bottle of rum in his hand. When he looks up, he blinks several times before turning to the chicken. "Well this's it, Bez'bel. Oi've drunk meself t' death. Death's a gian' rat, who'da thunk..." The chicken meets his gaze then looks at Mazin and ruffles its wings, clucking loudly.
    Last edited by TheVitulus; 2014-02-28 at 03:59 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Kreiya-Lower Hold

So much cursing from such a small person. Kreiya could not help but have an amused grin, so feisty, and not a bad rump either. She held her hands up in front of her in that universal sign that she was not here for conflict with the halfling.

"Hahah...nice work with that rat, ahem, Kreiya, here to assist with the death murder of pestilent spreading rodents,"
    She declared, her eyes briefly falling to the weapons of the halfling. "I take you are Cusswell? Well, you live well enough to yer name hahah."
    Last edited by Benson; 2014-02-28 at 02:12 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

The halfling rolls her eyes. "Aye. Like tha' ****in' joke don't get old... Name's Rosie. Ye're one o' th' new 'recruits', aye?" She spits the word. Clearly she has some opinions on press-ganging.

The halfling woman jumps up to her feet, flipping the knife and handing it to Kreiya. "Ye'd damned well better give that right th' **** back when we're done, yeah?"