New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Default Re: To Hunt in the Shadow [WoT] IC

Spoiler: Timothy
    Show
    Timothy recalls that the way of honouring any borderlander is with the Old Tongue phrase Tai'shar and their nationality. The borderlander monarchs do not stand upon ceremony, and a simple bow should suffice.

Spoiler: Elsa
    Show
    "Your face is perfectly lovely," Edeyn replies, though Elsa can tell her vulgarity surprised the woman. "It was not too recently, no. Nine or ten months ago? Aes Sedai do pass through here from time to time, it is not terribly unusual. Where did you here of her visit?"

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

As Timothy reaches the table he puts his hand in a fist over his heart and gives a short bow to Easar. Tai'shar Shienar, my name is Timothy of the House Ordell, from the state of Arad Doman. I am here to offer you any assistance which I can in holding back the Blight. I understand that you will be leading an incursion into the Blight soon. I should like to join you.
    My awesome avvy by Ceika

Previous avatars by terry576 and Derjuin

My Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #33

RedKnightGirl

Spoiler: Alric & Timothy
    Show
    Timothy reaches the table and puts his hand in a fist over his heart and gives a short bow to Easar. Tai'shar Shienar, my name is Timothy of the House Ordell, from the state of Arad Doman. I am here to offer you any assistance which I can in holding back the Blight. I understand that you will be leading an incursion into the Blight soon. I should like to join you."

Easar nods back and nods in response to his bow, but his reply is grave. "Normally I would that any sword is welcome my lord, but one will make very little difference. If you could bring me the armsmen of your house I would consent, but to risk a foreign noble at the Gap? I'm afraid I cannot do so lightly."

Edit: "I must confess I do not know your name. Have you any experience on the battlefield?" He seems skeptical.
    Last edited by MrE; 2014-03-07 at 08:50 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

Dai'allien gets a quick description from the innkeeper and goes to stake out the palace entrance. He asks Eselle to remain at the inn, just in case he misses her.

Spoiler
    Show

If one is needed, stealth roll (1d20+3)[12]

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Elsabet Cynar

Elsa flinches and steps back at the compliment, her hand moving to cover the right side of her face. She can feel the fine mesh of scars beneath the illusion with her fingertips. Another reminder. Why did she come here? What is she doing?

"I-I was looking for Cara al'Lin. I hadn't heard that she'd been here but I do wish to follow her progress." By the Light, she was being vague, "Can you tell me where she went, who she met with?" She took a swig of the wine again and looked across the room at Alric and Timothy. How must simpler it must be to live by the sword. At least you knew who your enemies were.
    I didn't choose the life of a murderhobo, it chose me.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36

RedKnightGirl

Spoiler: Dai'allien
    Show
    Dai'allien waits outside the palace for a short time, but no one leaves. The guards on duty seem quite relaxed even by wetlander standards, and they do not spy Dai'allien watching them. After about an hour however the Aiel catches the sound of booted feet approaching from inside the walls the two guards on duty turn to the new arrivals and strike up a short conversation as they are relieved.

Show
    "Oh, are you a scholar then?" Edeyn asked, intrigued. "Well Cara Sedai arrived probably ten months ago with a small entourage, Shienarans she met here and Tar Valoners who had accompanied her, and one other girl, an Accepted as I recall. There is little that I know of interest to that visit though, but I do remember Moara Sedai being particularly out of sorts after that visit. Which is strange for an Aes Sedai."

"In fact, I remember she spent sometime in the palace library, though it is not extensive, and afterwards spent a few weeks roaming the city. She then left with great haste. I know there were reports of shadowspawn slain by the Power in the following days, so I can only wonder at what she was up to."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm the youngest son of my house. The armsmen are not mine to command unfortunately. While I may not have participated in large scale combats before, I have spent several years moving between the border nations and I have seen combat with many a brigand, and twice now have slain a Trolloc in combat. I assure you, you will find my blade a worthy addition to your cause.
    My awesome avvy by Ceika

My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Twice slain a Trolloc in combat, and you are ready to ride for the gap? Son, you have no idea the absurdity of your request. I would head home and fight more Trolloc raids, maybe face an Eyeless or two before asking to ride to the Gap. There is no hint of emotion on the old warder's face, nor any sign of mirth or disdain in his tone. He is just stating fact.
    Last edited by Lentrax; 2014-03-08 at 03:16 AM.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Most Domani have never seen a Trolloc, much less fought one. If I go home it will be nothing but ball and numbing social gatherings. I'll never have a chance to gain the kind of experience you speak of. I also have another talent you may find of use. I'm not certain how it works, but I am able to detect where violence as occurred. An odor is let off by such things and I am capable of smelling it.
    My awesome avvy by Ceika

My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Where I am going that talent will be even more useless than an untested swordarm. I am going into the Blight proper. Only the strong survive, and only those with their wits about them will return.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

and only fools let the reports get turned into a saga worthy of retelling before majesty, or so he has heard. A gloved hand slams down in fist on the table. Alric leans over it.

And I suppose you know who I am. Alric Partheus. Servant in the house of the First Tower. Bonded to Leana Sedai of the Green Ajah. Formerly bonded. The mad man. The warder who failed. Who lost his mind they day, the hour, the very second he lost how love.

I am he.

I scoured the Bight for one fist of Trollocs! Just one! Do you know how many I have killed to protect these men...

All for the only task I have left.

My final duty. Heavier than any burden that it has been my honor to carry.

All I have left. Is my duty.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

12. - Top - End - #42

RedKnightGirl

Agelmar and Easar are the only ones who have the guts to stay near as Alric's pain becomes obvious, the other captains stepping back and suddenly engaging messengers or other nobles in conversation. The lady Edeyn pauses to watch him mournfully, and Alric recognises her as a fellow Malkieri. She is in conversation with a young Cairhienin noble girl.

Easar approaches Alric and places a hand on his shoulder: "A duty you have borne admirably, and far more successfully than any before, or any to come. But this responsibility I have placed on you cannot be done alone and you would be a fool to cast aside a willing sword." He inspects Timothy anxiously, hoping that the Domani can live up to his words.

Spoiler: Erani
    Show
    Travel for an Aes Sedai is not supposed to be difficult, but lacking the ageless face to distinguish herself meant she had had to show her ring and shawl more than once to skeptical men and women who took her to be at best naive and at worst willfully misguided.

Eventually though she reached Shienar, and then Fal Moran and had to decide between battling with an innkeeper for a room or seeking the palace and more appropriate accommodation. She may even be able to list the king's Aes Sedai advisor in discovering how to avert the coming storm.

And a storm there would certainly be, for Erani could sense the worry and despair in the people she passed, who looked out suspiciously on strange travelers. She had heard of another Dragon raising his standard in Saldaea, and clearly the damage that had been wrought there had impacted across the Borderlands.
    Last edited by MrE; 2014-03-08 at 05:55 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Elrani Sedai

Fal Moran teemed around her, if one could call the Borderlander city 'teeming.' Too young to have the look of an Aes Sedai perhaps, but she still had the bearing of one and if nothing else, many took her for noble. Her fine clothes made that easy enough.

The first thing she did was find an Inn, a good one, but not the best. She did not openly call herself Aes Sedai, but her ring remained visible while she made accommodations. Borderlanders held the Sisters of the White Tower in high regard, last she remembered.

From her room, she put pen to paper and wrote a brief letter to Moara Sedai, declaring her arrival and asking for an audience should it be possible. Rumors were that the lost Warder, Alric Gaidin was in the city as well and added this bit to her letter.

If the man was here, there was a reason and perhaps that reason coincided with hers?

A separate letter was addressed the King, once more declaring her arrival in his city. It would not do to call upon her Sister and not inform him, after all.

"Take this to the palace, and deliver it to Moara Sedai if possible," she said the messenger when she'd called one. "And this one to the King. Make haste."

14. - Top - End - #44

RedKnightGirl

Spoiler: Elrani
    Show
    The letters are dispatched, the innkeeper finding boys to carry them to the palace, but answers are not swift in returning to her.

As Elrani waits in the inn, a woman enters, bent backed and stooped, but she unerringly makes her way towards Elrani. As she reaches her she nods her head in a sort of obeisance before asking in a cracked voice: "Are you here for Moara Sedai? She asked me to wait for one of her sisters and pass on this letter." The woman seems anxious, but what is most surprising is that Elrani can sense that the woman has the ability to channel, the spark, but it is weak and has not been trained.

Even before Elrani can respond to this, a blonde girl enters the inn, and approaches Elrani as well. Without pause she asks: "Are you from Cairhien, miss? Only, I have a friend and it is very important he speak with you immediately. It's a matter of life and death!"

Spoiler: The blonde girl:
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Elrani Sedai

Elrani takes the letter from the woman and listens to her words, eyes narrowing slightly as she takes in her tone and her appearance. The Spark is there, weak and untrained, but there. Was this one of Moara's Eyes and Ears? She'd left a note for a Sister?

What's happened here?

When the young woman suddenly barged into their conversation, Elrani took a moment before turning to look at her, chin unconsciously lifting at the rudeness of the intrusion. Still, the words do not fall upon deaf ears.

"A matter of life and death? Explain, child?" She meanwhile slits the letter open, eyes flicking down to look at the words while she listens.

16. - Top - End - #46

RedKnightGirl

Show
    The girl seems surprised to have been spoken to like that, but following the reprimand is more subdued. "He is an Aiel, but he is following brigands from Cairhien, and they're kidnappers and murderers and all sorts of terrible people. He seemed to insist that we find you."

Moara's letter is not long, and does not answer many of the questions that Erani still has.
    Dear sister,

I have left this in the care of Bethanye in the knowledge that she can identify a sister, even one travelling in disguise, and I apologise for interrupting any of your own business.
    On the 125th day of the year 997 NE, I departed Fal Moran to find out for certain the answer to a question which has long plagued me. I do not know if I shall return, but hope that this will reveal to others my fate. If I do not return I would like word to be carried to all sisters, including my companion of old Cara al'Lin. Is black the colour of the world to come? I hope not, but I fear it.

Moara Sedai

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Erani Sedai (seems I was adding an 'L' for no reason)

At the words on the letter, her blood ran cold, though the only betrayal of her emotions was a brief parting of her lips. What could this mean?

Spoiler
    Show
    Innuendo: (1d20+9)[15] or perhaps Sense Motive: (1d20+13)[21]

At the girl's words she looked up at her again, frowning. "A moment ago you said this was a matter of life or death. Now you say he is merely looking for them? Who are they here to hurt? And what is an... Aielman doing here?"

Throughout her words, she was calm, collected and otherwise unperturbed. She'd faced worse in her Trials than out-of-sorts, foolish girls.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Marco looks Aldric square in the eyes, I won't pretend to understand your pain. There is no way for me to possibly understand the loss you have suffered. All I know is that the forces of the Shadowspawn are great and if you don't take every source of light you can find to combat the dark, you would be a fool. If you won't take me with you, I am sure I can find another willing to employ my skills in battle against the growing darkness. I'm not asking for a wetnurse to watch over me, I can hold my own.
    Last edited by Torgarn; 2014-03-08 at 11:45 PM.
    My awesome avvy by Ceika

My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Fool boy. You think I won't take you? I am merely making plain where it is I go. If you have the courage to go, I will not stop you.

If you are ready to enter the Blight proper, I will not turn you away. But know this. The Blight is not to be taken lightly. One misstep, just one, and you will die. The Blight leaves no room for error, and extracts a terrible price for daring enter its blackened lands.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Elsabet Cynar

"A scholar? Exactly though I prefer the word, seeker." Elsa offered a smile, "Cara is looking for something. I seek it too and so I seek her. It's a pity that Moara Sedai isn't here, I'd love to talk with her. When did you say she would return? Did she have an assistant."

"It gladdens my heart to hear that more shadowspawn have fallen to the One Power. Though their numbers sometimes seem endless every one that is destroyed is one less threat to the people that the borderlands protect. It is strange indeed to take an Accepted into battle though, the girl must be very advanced and close to taking her Test. Did you catch her name at all?" She didn't doubt that Edeyn knew much more than she was saying and that she'd share what she knew eventually but Elsa's patience had never been long. She wanted to hunt Cara al'Lin of the Black Ajah and make her pay for what she'd done.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51

RedKnightGirl

Show
    Erani's quick consideration at the letter yield's little more than her first glance, but she is certain she is missing something, maybe a few things.

"Well, they're brigands roaming in Shienar now, and well more men are being sent to kill them, but they're all killers and Dai'allien, the aielman, he is in the middle of it, and there's going to be a battle here even before the trollocs get here. Please miss, I just need you to help him with anything you know of these bandits."

Spoiler: Timothy & Alric
    Show
    "I am glad that is settled," Easar says as he watches the two uncomfortably. "I will provide you both with rooms in the palace until you are ready to leave, and the troops I'm sending to the Gap are ready to ride when you are, just go to the barracks and request captain Nean."

Show
    "That is rather a daring challenge for one so long. The business of Aes Sedai is really for sisters after all, and those who meddle do so at their peril."

"I'm afraid I know little of the Accepted, though I can have one of my ladies fetch my letters, I believe I wrote her name in one I sent to a friend, and I keep copies of everything I write. What is your interest in her?"

"I did not speak with her before she left, but I know she spoke briefly with the king three days ago and left the city that very day, with no assistant or replacement to guide Easar at this time. She has traveled unexpectedly before, but she is never normally gone longer than a week, and often less."

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Elsabet Cynar

She should just tell her that Cara was Black Ajah, she didn't owe the White Tower anything, why should she keep their secrets for them? Secrets that they won't even acknowledge themselves. Here she was, technically a runaway, looking for an Aes Sedai.

The idea was a joke but what else did she have in her life? Her noble family had grown old and the next generation was vying for power, she wouldn't return as a scarred and bitter spinster and live on their charity. She couldn't stay in Tar Valon while darkfriends were allowed to roam the halls of the White Tower itself while their presence was ignored. Worse, it was concealed and half the Sisters there would deny that there was any such thing. She couldn't inflict herself on a husband, someone who would need to care for her rather than treat her as an equal, someone who she would outlive by centuries. She would not be pitied or scorned. She would be feared. She would make her name hunting darkfriends and fighting their evil until her life was finally taken from her. A daring challenge perhaps but what else did she have?

"Aes Sedai don't hold any fear for me, Lady Edeyn. I must find Cara al'Lin. The Accepted who is with her is in great peril. I would help her if I could." A vague answer but the best that Elsa has to offer. "I'd be grateful if you could find her name for me, it would be kind of you. For now though, I would speak to the king. He may know more of Moara Sedai's whereabouts. Please excuse me."

With that she drinks the remainder of her wine and places the glass on a nearby table before using her staff to move across the room. Standing still always made her leg stiff and it dragged a little behind her as she moved. Elsa gritted her teeth and cursed silently. She must look like half a woman to these nobles. She could feel them staring piteously at her and all she wanted was to shout at them to look away and leave her be. Except she had a purpose and she was closer to it now than she had been for months. She would find Cara al'Lin and make her tell her who the other darkfriends were in the White Tower and then she would hunt them too.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Erani Sedai

Erani stared at the young woman for a long moment and considered her plea.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge(Nobility): (1d20+5)[23] to think of she's heard anything from her home court about such things, though the chance was slim.

24. - Top - End - #54

RedKnightGirl

Show
    Erani actually recalls a young noblewoman named Zuvin of House Varteil, who was kidnapped in Cairhien about a month ago. It caused quite the stir and even sisters in the Tower were talking about it, after all there had been talk of marriage between the girl and a man from House Faytear as well. It was suggested that the men had fled north, but the reports she had heard gave little more indication than this.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

I am ready to go when you are. Timothy nods in deference to Alric.
    My awesome avvy by Ceika

My Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Erani Sedai

To the young woman, Erani pursed her lips and crossed her arms briefly, considering. "They had kidnapped someone from Cairhien I believe but what is it you believe I can or should do about it?"

Her mind raced, considering if this was related to why she was here. It didn't seem vital to her goals, though important nonetheless. She was no... Thiefcatcher, however!

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Alric looked up from the table. Very well. Unless I send you word otherwise, we leave on the morrow.

His eyes scan the room for a moment, looking for anyone else who may be willing to join him. They rest for a moment on a face he thought he recognized, though when last he saw it, it was very different. With swift, sure steps, he soon presented himself in front of Elsabet.

Forgive the intrusion, Lady, but I seem to recall you from somewhere. Is it possible we have met before?

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

28. - Top - End - #58

RedKnightGirl

Show
    "Something precious to him he said," Eselle mutters to herself, speaking her thoughts out loud. "Well, I knew a Cairhienin woman was staying here, so I came to ask you what you knew. If you can't help any more..."

At this point the innkeeper reappears and looks questioningly at Eselle, clearly recognising her. "What are you doing here again girl? Lady Elsabet is still at the palace."

"Wait, then who are you?" Eselle asked Erani, clearly confused by the presence of two Cairhienin women at the same inn.

Spoiler: Elsa & Timothy & Alric
    Show
    With swift, sure steps, Alric crossed the room and soon presented himself in front of Elsabet, trailed by Timothy.

"Forgive the intrusion, Lady, but I seem to recall you from somewhere. Is it possible we have met before?"

Timothy finds himself once more before Edeyn's scrutiny, with the Cairhienin lady from before.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Elsabet Cynar

Elsa stops and leans on her staff before the old warrior, "You're Alric Dreadbane. Every novice in the White Tower has heard your story. I am Elsabet of House Cynar, formerly of Tar Valon, known as the cripple among the Accepted. I know we've met before though you may not remember me." She rushes her delivery, clearly impatient and eager to leave this crowd of gawkers.

Adjusting her balance she scowls up at Alric, why were borderland men made so tall? It hurt her neck having to crane up to look in their eyes. At least ogiers had an excuse but here he was, a foot and a half taller than her and standing in the way like a coiled spring, "I'm looking for an Aes Sedai, Cara al'Lin, last seen here less than a year ago. Moara Sedai may have news of her. Have you spoken to her recently?"

Well done, Elsa, she thinks to herself, here was someone who could actually help and you introduce yourself by snapping at him.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Erani Sedai

Erani stared at the woman for a long moment, the realization of mistaken identity dawning on her a moment before she said it.

"Interesting, there is another Cairhienin here? And I am Erani Aes Sedai of the Blue Ajah," she said, nodding. Her full title still felt awfully strange.