Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Guide to Making Avatars with MS Paint (and Irfanview)

I decided it'd be helpful to create a tutorial in the same sort of category as The King of Durf's topic on Adobe Illustrator, but using software available on any computer and without using pirated or expensive software. Resizing steps at the end of this tutorial make use of Irfanview (a free image viewing program) though this is entirely optional.

Albino Black Sheep has a very good MS Paint tutorial located here. I can't recommend this enough if you're unfamiliar with MS Paint... It's even taught me a few things of which I was unaware.

Step 1: Starting the Image

To begin with, open a new image in MS Paint and select Image -> Attributes and set the image's length and width as 400 by 400 pixels. This is larger than the normal avatars, obviously, but working with MS Paint will require that the final image be scaled down for quality purposes. Next, select the Line tool and pick the fourth-widest line width.

This will give your avatar the same sort of line-thickness Rich has in the Order of the Stick comics.

Step 2: Drawing your Avatar

Typically, I like to begin with the head of the avatar:

This provides a strong base for the rest of the avatar, especially since the focus of most avatars is on the head. We're dealing with stick figures, after all. The head should be roughly 150 x 150 pixels, though this can vary depending on what you're depicting.

You'll notice that the mouths are typically located roughly forty pixels above the bottom (the purple line in the above diagram) of the head, though they're a little lower than that on the females. The eyes are always located around halfway up the head (the green line in the diagram). Typically on the ladies it's roughly on the halfway mark while men are almost always between halfway and three-quarters of the way up the head.

From there, you can begin to add details. To begin with, the body should be about as wide and as tall as the head at the shoulders, and the combined height of the legs and boots should be roughly the same length as the body. The arms typically hang down to the waist when at rest, though they can be extended pretty much as desired when the pose calls for it, as Rich does tend to do the same.

The above shows some basic line work. Note that all the lines (except for the detail work in the boots and the eyes) are exactly the same width. The eyes were done using ovals drawn using the circle tool and filling in the center, while the boots are one line-width smaller which typically allows for finer detail work. Remember that you're working with an image a little over three times the size of an actual avatar at this point, so line work which is too detailed may become a large black blur when it is shrunk to it's proper size.

Optional Step: Female Avatars

As the below illustration of Haley will show, the proportions for women are slightly different.

The women are proportioned so that the body is only roughly two thirds high, and two thirds as tall as the head. The legs are slightly longer than a male figure's. In the example above, as the measurements show, The breasts are a little less than half of the body length, and stick out slightly more than the stomach.

Optionally, if the chick is wearing armor, the bottom portion will be roughly the same but be square-edged like the ladies Haley speaks with in Comic 417.

Step 3: Coloring your Avatar

Now it's time to color your avatar. The basic rule here, if you'd like to keep things looking Order of the Stick-like, is to use few colors. While you may wish to get fancy and use extra colors for detail work, or add shading and highlights, you really don't need to do so. The following image only uses eight colors, aside from the black for lines:

Just as with the line work, you want to keep your colors simple because fine detail work at this stage may become a blurry, multi-colored spot when it's shrunk down to avatar size. Colors should mostly be used to differentiate between large sections of the character.

Step 4: Resizing your Avatar

At this point, you should have your fully completed avatar. Forum avatars measure 117 x 117 pixels. Now, you'll probably want to shrink it down to a usable size and make the background transparent. Unfortunately, MS Paint offers poor scaling and no real way of making a background transparent, Compare the two images below:

{table] |
    Resized in MS Paint. | Resized in Irfanview[/table]The one on the left is completed using MS Paint to scale the image to 30% of it's original size, while the one on the right was opened in Irfanview, then scaled down to 117x117 pixels in Irfanview using Image -> Resize/Resample Image set to the Lanczos filter. The transparent background was achieved in Irfanview by choosing File -> Save As and selecting PNG as the file type, and then selecting the Save transparent color and choosing to pick the color during saving. The image will pop up and you can pick any color on the image to be transparent. If you want to use white in the avatar itself, you should go back to your 400 x 400 and fill the background with an off-white shade of gray you haven't used.

If you use any other color for the background (green, for example), this will show up in the dithering Irfanview uses to achieve the smooth look of the smaller image. Take a look at the image below and you'll see what I mean:

See http://www.irfanview.com/ for more information.

Step 5: Hosting your File

I personally recommend using Photobucket, which allows you to store multiple images, have a gallery, and gives you a bandwidth count so you know how much each file is draining your available bandwidth, but any host which allows image hotlinking will suffice.

Conclusion

That's pretty much a step-by-step guide to how I make my avatars and I thought it might be helpful if I set the process out for others to follow so that they can try to create their own avatars.

My apologies to Rich for ninja'ing Roy for the purpose of the tutorial, but I thought it might encourage new users to try their hands at their own avatars if they saw a familiar face in here.

I hope this was informative!

Optional Tricks #1: Transparency

First, begin by drawing your avatar as normal.

After that, color your image as normal as well:

Now, decide to which items you'll adding a transparency. In the case of the image below, I decided I was going to make the top of the mage's staff glow with magic. Begin by drawing the outline of the transparent item over top of your normal drawing:

From there, you basically need to be good with colors and recolor the items within the transparency area with a mix between the original color and the color to be transparent. This can take some practice, but all it really requires is a good eye for color:

With a bit of practice, you'll find you can use this for a variety of things:

Optional Tricks #2: Avatar Shading

There are some people who prefer to have shading in their avatars. This is a simple matter, which simply requires that the user take an extra two steps after they've finished making their avatars.

First, take your avatar, which you've finished coloring:

From there, you would simply use your Pick Color tool to individually pick each color and alter it so that it looks like a shadowed version of your normal color.

I recommend that you simply use Colors -> Edit Colors, and then select Define Custom Colors to do this. I've found that in most cases, dropping the Luminosity (Lum) of the color by about a quarter of the current setting will do well enough to define it from the base color without looking too strange. You might have to play with it a bit, though.

Use this newly created color to fill in where you want the shadows to be. Remember to keep the shadowed areas roughly consistent with the rest of the shadows on the avatar:

From here, just take your paint bucket tool and fill in the shadowed areas:

And voila, you're done! If you want to get REALLY fancy, you can always go an extra step and add highlights to certain portions of the avatar which are closest to your light source:

And that's all there is to shading and highlighting your avatar! It's not for everyone (personally, I don't really like shading avatars) but it's something each avatarist has to decide for themselves.
    Last edited by That Lanky Bugger; 2007-03-15 at 09:32 PM.
    Gallery 1Gallery 2Gallery 3Make Avatars With MS Paint
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Simius for the Xill Bard, Abardam for the Gray Rendar, Sampi for the Memphit, Rex for the Aristocrat and Onasuma for the Bearded Devil!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Guide to Making Avatars with MS Paint (and Irfanview)

I've been using ms Paint for (too) long now. Now I've started making avatars with compination of Paint and GIMP. But if you want to work in all-paint-kind-of-way then you might need some shortcuts. I put here some tips how you can use your paint with features it doesn't support. I think I'll update this list when I got more time.

Few tips for paint users:

#1 Remember folowwing shortcuts (first four you should now):
    CTRL+Z the holy Undo (you can undo three past moves in paint)
    CTRL+C copies selection
    CTRL+V pastes last copy
    CTRL+X crops selection
    CTRL+R rotates selection (90 degrees and mirroring)
    CTRL+F shows picture in fullscreen (as big part of the picture that fits in screen when picture is at real size)
    Last one is faster when you're working in zoomed picture and don't one want to go back and forth to real size.

#2 Own color palette. Cause begining colors (always the same) in paint suck you might need own palette. (It really fastens the work if you use paint a lot). So find a picture with large color color scale and save it as bitmap. When you start working with paint open also this file. You must open it seperatly cause try to open new document in paint the old one closes.

Now you can switch windows with ALT+TAB to your palette, copy small sections of color (what you need), paste them to the side of your picture (one that is going to remain unpainted for longest time) and use pipette tool to get colors you need.

This sounds complicated but when you get use to it, it's easy. It's lot faster than making colors by needs. It often gives certain deepnes to those pictures because you use more colors and more personal ones too.

#3 Own clipboard. Open large blanc paint file and use it as your clipboard. Do as in tip #2 but now copy things you want save to blanc document where you can keep them till they are needed and play with them ;-)

#4 Best way to shade (if you want to shade) with paint is to use eraser with right button. If you do so it erases only your chosen color (color in the front). Erasing changes color to background color.

So to shade a face choose the color of face (with Pipette) and make a color for shade to your background color slot. then it's just carefull right-button shading.

PS with pipette left button takes color for painting color slot and right butten takes it for background color slot.
    Last edited by Hart av Srednak; 2007-02-01 at 06:47 AM.

Hart av Srednak

.....................?

Spoiler
    Show
    There are three steps to everything,
    three steps to death, three steps to life,
    watch your steps, count:
    one, two, three

*PS pardon my ennglish*

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Congrats on the tutorial, the main thing ms paint'ers might not have would be making curved thingies and transparent thingies.
    Your friendly neighborhood A&C hobo.

Support local OotS webcomics! Read Tales of Revelia.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

*Copies Tutorial into word*

Thanks! This will be useful to me
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"After the first day we universally agreed that she was banned from fire thereafter. The second day she ended up with the power to create 5 extra copies of herself."
    ~ Heliomance

"You're like Pinkie Pie powered by a nuclear reactor."
    ~ Lix Lorn

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Great Tutorial Lankybugger, it helps a lot. Irfanview is pretty useful too.
    Last edited by Fisher; 2007-03-11 at 09:13 AM.

GITP Player Sheet (Updated: 10/3/09)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

You have empowered me, Lanky Bugger! THANK YOU!

Although I might add, having just discovered this. . .do all the saves-in-progress with .bmp. .jpg adds all sorts of neat shades of pixels and blocks use of the fill (bucket) tool.

7. - Top - End - #7

I hope this helps, guys. I'll probably be adding information about a couple of tips and tricks soon, so you might want to check back soon!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Simius for the Xill Bard, Abardam for the Gray Rendar, Sampi for the Memphit, Rex for the Aristocrat and Onasuma for the Bearded Devil!

8. - Top - End - #8

Thank you, lankybugger! I've got a great self-made avatar now.
    My first character was a first edition thief.

Evidence that MS Paint is still a valid avataring tool:
    Spoiler
    Show

1st commemorative BEAST award, for displaying BEASTLY qualities in overcoming tricksy obstacles.

9. - Top - End - #9

That's pretty good, Sampi!

See guys? It's not that hard at all!
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

That was very useful indeed, I've been struggling to make the backround to my avatar transparent. Thank you!
    Hello Nexus, my old friend.
    Characters: Niara Tarmikos; Urias Starsailor; Yuzuru Takahashi; Gavin Meridrew; Tonja Clausen

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Don't forget to save as .png and not .jpeg or .gif as they will lose color information or screw with the file, because .jpeg bleeds colors.

12. - Top - End - #12

Another thing I find useful:

When you're planning to do a shaded avatar, make your own palette. Double-click on a color in the palette you're not going to use to go to the color selection thing. Pick one of the custom color slots, then click "Define Custom Color". Now, use the map to choose a color, and click "add custom color". Then use the slider to make a darker shade of that, and click "add.." again. Then slide upwards to make a lighter shade, then add that. You'll need to add these to the main palette by double-clicking on three adjacent colors, then choosing the colors you made. Repeat for all shadable colors - then just use the light shade for highlights and the dark for shades.

This guide of lankybugger's is useful! Someone Sticky it please!
    Last edited by Sampi; 2007-02-18 at 12:20 PM.
    My first character was a first edition thief.

Evidence that MS Paint is still a valid avataring tool:
    Spoiler
    Show

1st commemorative BEAST award, for displaying BEASTLY qualities in overcoming tricksy obstacles.

13. - Top - End - #13

You made a guide for male characters, but what about Female characters? Im having alot of trouble making bodies look as curvy as I want, and anything that could help me out with the MS paint tools would be awesome.

14. - Top - End - #14

Coming right up, sir! I'll take a quick look at the proportions of Rich's boobs and cook something up.

And I just realized how wrong that sounded.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15

Well, you are the guy who started the "House of Horrors!"...
    So this stuff should come pretty naturaly I guess.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

Thank you so much for this guide. It is truly a godsend. The bendy line tool is the best tool ever. EVER. MS Paint foreva!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

If you can, get the MS Paint version that comes with Windows Vista. It has more options added, like Crop Image and such. :)

I actually do almost exactly what this tutorial says for making images with MS Paint, including using Irfanview and Photobucket. Good tutorial!

One thing I would add is that you can manipulate details better if you use different colors to outline shapes (like make one arm purple, the chest red, the head black - this lets you use the Bucket Fill option to remove pieces or change pieces quickly by just turning them white to erase. Once you have your outline done, you can use the Fill to turn everything black easily too. :)

18. - Top - End - #18

Korias, I've added the female tutorial avatar.

And Ava, I'll be incorporating that suggestion about the multicolored lines. Awesome idea, I never would have thought of that. Avie is awesome as well.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19

Wow... The little things that can do so much...

Lanky Bugger, I want you to visit this. Just to show gratitude.

20. - Top - End - #20

Why thankee, Korias. I do try. ;)
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21

I've updated the tutorial with information on Shading and Highlights! Enjoy!
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

very, very nice. thanks!

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Just thought I'd add some tips/comments to this awesome tutorial. :)

I like to start with a 300 x 300 canvas and use the thickest line for the major details - the round head, body, arms, legs, etc. Almost everything that is outline I do with the thickest line.

For more detailed areas, like clothing texture, I use the second largest line down to the second-to-smallest line, depending on how detailed I need to get.

Inkscape is awesome for adding translucent areas - add "magical effects", glows, highlights, and shadows. For example, on this Orc I used a transparent turquoise color over the polearm and then added it on part of his ponytail, head, and shoulder armor where the glow would reflect. The glow reflection is subtle, but kinda cool.

Last edited by Ava; 2007-02-28 at 04:11 PM.

* Ava's Avatars *
    Iron Avatar Prize Shelf:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24

About all that's left is an extensive tutorial regarding the curved line thingy in MS Paint. So I'll do it... Realistically, it'll be done on Sunday evening. Tomorrow and Friday I get to paint, and Saturday I get to babysit my roommate's older sister while she's in town for the day.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Halfling in the Playground

Gave it a try... looks good in Paint... looks like crap when its on the forums though... I need to figure out how to rasterize it or something... :/
    Space Ghost: "Tell me, Chuck, ever thought of starring in a sequel to The Ten Commandments?"
    Zorak: "No."
    Charlton Heston: "Uh, I don't think so."
    Space Ghost: "Not a sequel man, eh?"
    Zorak: "No."
    Charlton Heston: "What other commandments are we going to write?"
    Zorak: "Thou that smelled it thine own self dealt it."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

Oh, this is handy. So that's why my avatar got staticky edges.
    "I have tasted the heat of many stars, and all of them were sweet."
    -The Hive Queen

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kialos View Post
    Gave it a try... looks good in Paint... looks like crap when its on the forums though... I need to figure out how to rasterize it or something... :/

Download Irfanview. After you create your avatar in MS Paint in a larger size (300x300, 400x400 or whatever), save the image as a .BMP, then open it in Irfanview. Use Irfanview to Resize the image to 117x117 or 120x120 and save as a .GIF. You can set the transparency when you save the image.

P.S. I just made a new avatar for myself and stuck my old one in my signature. :) My new avatar is of my old Lineage II Swordsinger... I used MS Paint only, then resized with Irfanview.
    Last edited by Ava; 2007-03-02 at 04:45 PM.

* Ava's Avatars *
    Iron Avatar Prize Shelf:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Ava View Post
    P.S. I just made a new avatar for myself and stuck my old one in my signature. :) My new avatar is of my old Lineage II Swordsinger... I used MS Paint only, then resized with Irfanview.
    Stop making me look bad!

Though seriously nice avatar, Ava. I especially like the effect the pink outline for the hair has on the piece as a whole.

Though I've still got to update the tutorial with your suggestion about the multicolored lines... but I've been so lazy...
    Last edited by That Lanky Bugger; 2007-03-02 at 07:29 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground

Damn, this makes me want to abandon AI and start using MSPaint... However, I'm too lazy to download anything, plus I paid for AI...
    "The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together." - Carl Sagan

LGBTitP Supporter

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Orange Zergling View Post
    Damn, this makes me want to abandon AI and start using MSPaint... However, I'm too lazy to download anything, plus I paid for AI...
    AI is still better than paint. The idea is why pay for AI when you can just use paint. which is a very logical arguement, but I like my layered manipulation to much to switch over. I do like how paint fills though. It does make shading more convenient.

This is a very nice tutorial though. Put together like a pro.
    Last edited by Wayril; 2007-03-02 at 10:47 PM.