New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Fire Emblem Thread II: Stalwarts Unite!

Quote Originally Posted by Rezkeshdadesh View Post
    I started DLC grinding on my Lunatic file. Next I'm going to try to recruit Donnel. Any tips?
    The Archer in the northwest corner is locked up there. If you can, prevent him from leaving that corner... alive, anyways. Have Donnel kill him. If Donnel applies the coup de'grace to either of the thieves he gets 60xp from the act.

Also on Lunatic Plus: Armsthrift-Nosferatu tanks are your friends. Galeforce is less important than in easier difficulties. And for Chapter 2: If you found a Superior Lance in one the previous maps, have Frederick play dodge tank against the enemy Soldiers.
    Last edited by Laughing Dog; 2014-06-22 at 05:19 PM.
    A fundamental truth about existence: All is to be laughed at.

Lawful Evil with Chaotic Good tendencies. Have fun figuring that out.

How to deal with Slowbro in Gen 1:
    1. Mewtwo
    2. there is no #2.

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Well, that makes you Dr. Robotnik. So...yeah?

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Laughing Dog View Post
    The Archer in the northwest corner is locked up there. If you can, prevent him from leaving that corner... alive, anyways. Have Donnel kill him. If Donnel applies the coup de'grace to either of the thieves he gets 60xp from the act.
    this works fantastically

Also on Lunatic Plus: Armsthrift-Nosferatu tanks are your friends. Galeforce is less important than in easier difficulties. And for Chapter 2: If you found a Superior Lance in one the previous maps, have Frederick play dodge tank against the enemy Soldiers.
    Unless you are extremely overlevelled counter will still kill you. The safest bet is to create chokepoints with bow users in the front and ranged attackers in the back.
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #183
    Troll in the Playground

I just finished the Chapter where you get Nowi and Gregor. I think I've got my breeding planned. I'm going to focus on the kids that can get Galeforce.

Chrom-Avatar
    Donnel-Tharja
    Gaius-Nowi
    Henry-Sumia
    Libra-Maribelle
    Vaike-Lissa
    Stahl-Olivia
    Gregor-Cordelia

3DS Name: Rezzy, FC: 0104-0343-1530

Lots of bred Pokemon, complete list on my Gym Leader Page of the Giant League Wiki, PM me if you'd like to trade for one.

Fire Emblem Fates Castle Address
    05107-66614
    62592-54117

4. - Top - End - #184
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Rising Phoenix View Post
    Unless you are extremely overlevelled counter will still kill you. The safest bet is to create chokepoints with bow users in the front and ranged attackers in the back.
    This is Lunatic Plus. If you aren't hilariously overleveled, chances are that you will die. The Archers thing is still good sound advice, but you have to get them overleveled if the want to be able to survive getting hit by enemy close combat units.

Also @ Rezzy: I suggest swapping things around so Vaike is w/Sully, Gregor is w/Miriel, and either Ricken or whoever your next favored choice is w/Cordelia. Vaike will pass Mercenary class to female offspring, while Severa starts out as a Mercenary. While Galeforce is useful, Armsthrift will save you a crapton of grief in the long run. But, feel free to do as you please.
    A fundamental truth about existence: All is to be laughed at.

Lawful Evil with Chaotic Good tendencies. Have fun figuring that out.

How to deal with Slowbro in Gen 1:
    1. Mewtwo
    2. there is no #2.

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Well, that makes you Dr. Robotnik. So...yeah?

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

This is Lunatic Plus. If you aren't hilariously overleveled, chances are that you will die. The Archers thing is still good sound advice, but you have to get them overleveled if the want to be able to survive getting hit by enemy close combat units.

Also @ Rezzy: I suggest swapping things around so Vaike is w/Sully, Gregor is w/Miriel, and either Ricken or whoever your next favored choice is w/Cordelia. Vaike will pass Mercenary class to female offspring, while Severa starts out as a Mercenary. While Galeforce is useful, Armsthrift will save you a crapton of grief in the long run. But, feel free to do as you please.
    Gregor is a great dad for anyone not magic based really. I personally usually use him for Owain, but Ricken>Henry>Libra work too if you want a magical nuke Owain.

As for Lunatic+ some of us like a challenge :P.

As my breeding projects:

-Chrom x Olivia
    -Stahl x Cordelia
    -Inigo x MU
    -Morgan x Lucina (cause I can create time paradox, twisted family trees)
    - Gregor x Lissa
    -Owain x Severa.

And I don't know if I'll bother with any other kids.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

Are the growth rates lower on higher difficulties? When I played through on Normal, I seemed to get 5+ stats quite frequently on level ups. Now, on Lunatic, I seem to always get 3 or so on average.

Maybe I'm just unlucky.

EDIT: Fire Emblem: Awakening to clarify.
    Last edited by Sylthia; 2014-06-23 at 08:22 PM.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Are the growth rates lower on higher difficulties? When I played through on Normal, I seemed to get 5+ stats quite frequently on level ups. Now, on Lunatic, I seem to always get 3 or so on average.

Maybe I'm just unlucky.

I think you're just just unlucky. My Kjelle and Lucina are currently about the same level, and Kjelle is an absolute powerhouse while Lucina barely even scratches enemies. Hopefully Ignis will change that, though. The RNG is certainly very capricious.

Edit: Boy, Ignis sure did help. I hadn't quite twigged that my Lucina is way, way more powerful as a mage than she is with a sword or lance. That RNG again...still, how the heck did she wind up with such MAG growth???
    Last edited by Rodin; 2014-06-24 at 04:28 AM.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe I'm just unlucky.

Yup Ana can be very hateful.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Thought I was going to cruise to the end of my Lunatic run. Nah has become an unstoppable force of destruction and Kjelle remains beastly.

...And then I got to the second-to-last chapter. Good LORD what a difficulty spike. While I can still one-round most units, they can now one-round me in return. Chrom had around 40 speed and was sat on a fort - didn't stop him from getting 100% hit rate doubled by a Dark Flier who only reached him via Galeforce.

My plan for the finale had basically been to take my hits from the Risen and dash through to Grima, but I don't think that's going to work now.

Question is, do I grind for max stats, or try to push through with my current group?

Frustrating. I did get to have my usual fun with Validar though, leaving him at the altar until I'd wiped out his forces so he teleports into an angry mob.
    Last edited by Rodin; 2014-06-25 at 01:49 PM.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Thought I was going to cruise to the end of my Lunatic run. Nah has become an unstoppable force of destruction and Kjelle remains beastly.

...And then I got to the second-to-last chapter. Good LORD what a difficulty spike. While I can still one-round most units, they can now one-round me in return. Chrom had around 40 speed and was sat on a fort - didn't stop him from getting 100% hit rate doubled by a Dark Flier who only reached him via Galeforce.

My plan for the finale had basically been to take my hits from the Risen and dash through to Grima, but I don't think that's going to work now.

Question is, do I grind for max stats, or try to push through with my current group?

Frustrating. I did get to have my usual fun with Validar though, leaving him at the altar until I'd wiped out his forces so he teleports into an angry mob.
    Get somebody with rally spectrum, set up some good supports, and pair up your guys. You can basically push up the stats on a few keys units by 8-10 points. Especially if your MU is strong enough to be a main fighter (basically, max defense and max speed) he can rally spectrum your guys and you can use the manakete and a couple strong kids in good pairings to fight even the toughest enemies.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Get somebody with rally spectrum, set up some good supports, and pair up your guys. You can basically push up the stats on a few keys units by 8-10 points. Especially if your MU is strong enough to be a main fighter (basically, max defense and max speed) he can rally spectrum your guys and you can use the manakete and a couple strong kids in good pairings to fight even the toughest enemies.
    Good advice, I had forgotten about rally-balling. I've been relying too heavily on Galeforce. I've also been using nothing but the kids + Chrom/MU, but I think it's time for Brady and Noire to get off that train - poor genetics have been biting them both really hard and I can no longer justify the free slots. Maribelle as replacement healer for Rally Resist and Donnel because Donnel should give me some better oomph.

Sadly, my manaketes haven't been developed that much. Nowi retired once she got S rank, haven't done anything with Tiki (no room with all the kids), and Nah is so far down a Mage path that it would be a major hit to her damage to go Manakete now. If I need the extra tankiness she's certainly an option though.

Ooh, and I need to go to the festival maps a couple times to get S rank on my final relationships. That can make a HUGE difference.

Still, this is definitely the point where I'm feeling the pain of earlier optimization. I knew it might be a problem, but I can't help trying to be completionist on my Supports. :P

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Good advice, I had forgotten about rally-balling. I've been relying too heavily on Galeforce. I've also been using nothing but the kids + Chrom/MU, but I think it's time for Brady and Noire to get off that train - poor genetics have been biting them both really hard and I can no longer justify the free slots. Maribelle as replacement healer for Rally Resist and Donnel because Donnel should give me some better oomph.

Sadly, my manaketes haven't been developed that much. Nowi retired once she got S rank, haven't done anything with Tiki (no room with all the kids), and Nah is so far down a Mage path that it would be a major hit to her damage to go Manakete now. If I need the extra tankiness she's certainly an option though.

Ooh, and I need to go to the festival maps a couple times to get S rank on my final relationships. That can make a HUGE difference.

Still, this is definitely the point where I'm feeling the pain of earlier optimization. I knew it might be a problem, but I can't help trying to be completionist on my Supports. :P
    Manakete with dragonstone+ are by far the strongest units you can have. Their defenses and damage make them the only consistently capable tanks even at the lunatic level. They also provide pretty sweet stat bonuses, and you can frequently pair them with a galeforce kid, kill someone to start the turn, then move them up and switch back to the manakete to attack someone and tank another series of guys.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

I've got to Chapter 10 and it's finally starting to feel a bit easier on Lunatic. I got lucky and had a few random merchants selling Master and Second Seals, so now my units can start going up against the overpowered enemies.

Lots of bred Pokemon, complete list on my Gym Leader Page of the Giant League Wiki, PM me if you'd like to trade for one.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Managed to power through Origin Peak on my 4th go - ironically enough, by using the strategy I used the first time, Galeforce blitz. Having Maribelle as healer throwing down Fortify made things a lot easier, as did going the right route instead of the left - same number of enemies, but no annoying Generals to completely stall my progress.

Equipped everyone with Brave weapons from the store there, then had a hilariously easy fight on Grima's back...right up until I actually tried to fight Grima itself. Ahahah. 50 defense/res and Pavise/Aegis? The only people who could do real damage were my Falchion folks, and remember how I said my Lucina sucks at melee? Yeah...

The biggest problem is Chrom - he isn't as fast as I thought he was (30 speed, not 40), so Grima is able to double him and his hit rate stinks to boot. Managed to get Grima down to 24 HP anyway though.

Maybe I need to forge a couple of weapons so I can actually deal damage to it, especially since MU is supposed to be landing the final blow and can currently only manage 5 damage with a freaking Valflame (before Ignis and such). I thought the Book of Naga would deal bonus damage, but it didn't appear to.

So, maybe a bit of time at the gym for Chrom and Avatar, along with a little bit of forging so that my earlier folks can land a proper hit in.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Forged tomes and swords are a must. Also, I don't know if there's a glitch or something, but my S rank supports had a 100% block rate against Grima when I fought him over a sample size of about 20 attacks.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I had my usual block rate luck. Against normal enemies, Yarne with an S rank support failed to block for Cynthia 4 times in a row, resulting in her death (and his shortly thereafter once his squishy hide was exposed). Meanwhile, Donnel blocked for Nowi twice in a row despite them never having worked together. Shame they were the rearguard who didn't really matter and that Cynthia was one of my damage dealers...

But yeah, I looked it up. Apparently standing next to Grima curses you, hence the really crappy hit rate. Additionally, dual attacks go through Grimas super shield. So I can run in with a load of Wastes and Brave Bows and Celica's gale and lay the beatdown on it.

Just...not tonight. Too much pain for one evening!
    Last edited by Rodin; 2014-06-25 at 08:08 PM.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hey Rodin, just a quick jump in, one thing about the last blow, you choose who does the final blow after finishing the map. Well at least on hard it was.
    Thank you to starwoof for the awesome Astrid avatar.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoon View Post
    Hey Rodin, just a quick jump in, one thing about the last blow, you choose who does the final blow after finishing the map. Well at least on hard it was.
    Yeah, I had forgotten about that, remembered after reading up on the fight.

Did give it another try (thanks insomnia!), and fully upgraded Wastes on my Avatar just bounce off unless she procs Ignis anyway, and I'm not getting 4 hits even with Rally Spectrum. The only person who can get 4 hits is Inigo, and he doesn't have any extra damage abilities so I'm relying on whoever is Dual-Attacking to proc Luna. I've taken my Avatar into being a Sorceror so maybe I should grind the extra 5 levels for Vengeance.

The other thing I can try is not rushing in for the kill - it's darned dangerous with all the enemies spawning in, but if I can manage to eliminate enough I might be able to sit in against Grima for a few turns instead of just one or two. The problem is the damn guys with Physic at the very south of the map - they just love healing Grima up to full whenever I manage to do a decent amount of damage.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground

How viable is Counter to use in Lunatic mode? I'm thinking of breeding it onto my female children, when possible.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I had forgotten about that, remembered after reading up on the fight.

Did give it another try (thanks insomnia!), and fully upgraded Wastes on my Avatar just bounce off unless she procs Ignis anyway, and I'm not getting 4 hits even with Rally Spectrum. The only person who can get 4 hits is Inigo, and he doesn't have any extra damage abilities so I'm relying on whoever is Dual-Attacking to proc Luna. I've taken my Avatar into being a Sorceror so maybe I should grind the extra 5 levels for Vengeance.

The other thing I can try is not rushing in for the kill - it's darned dangerous with all the enemies spawning in, but if I can manage to eliminate enough I might be able to sit in against Grima for a few turns instead of just one or two. The problem is the damn guys with Physic at the very south of the map - they just love healing Grima up to full whenever I manage to do a decent amount of damage.
    yeah you should kill the physic guys. The way that I did it was to move up my forces as a group, taking on the first couple waves of enemies. You have to move everyone up because after a couple turns, people spawn behind you. But you should be able to go to the sides and take out some of the groups, especially the healers. Then you move your forces up together and set up just outside range of Grima while taking on the enemies around him. At that point, you need to get some people in combat with him, and depending on your overall strength, it can take around 3 turns to do it. Manakete can definitely hurt him, as can both your Lords with Falchions, and caster classes with custom lightning tomes. Your own ignis and luna procs are definitely important as well.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Victory is mine!!

Inigo wound up being the one doing the business. Apparently, even Grima can't stand up to 3 Astra procs in a row. :P He and Kjelle combined to hit Grima a whopping 21 times in a single attack, practically one-rounding it (they did 60-70 damage in all). The funniest thing is I wasn't even trying to proc Astra, I wanted to proc LUNA. Whatever works!

My victory scroll was pretty funny too - it was Frederick for the first 2 or 3 chapters, and then Chrom x Robin the entire way down until Morgan showed up and took over duties. Feel that beautiful dragon DNA!

22. - Top - End - #202
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Victory is mine!!

Inigo wound up being the one doing the business. Apparently, even Grima can't stand up to 3 Astra procs in a row. :P He and Kjelle combined to hit Grima a whopping 21 times in a single attack, practically one-rounding it (they did 60-70 damage in all). The funniest thing is I wasn't even trying to proc Astra, I wanted to proc LUNA. Whatever works!

My victory scroll was pretty funny too - it was Frederick for the first 2 or 3 chapters, and then Chrom x Robin the entire way down until Morgan showed up and took over duties. Feel that beautiful dragon DNA!
    21 hit combo. I think you did more perfect genetic engineering in one generation than Grima's cult did in centuries. Congrats.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

I'd say Donnel and Sully is better than Donnel and Tharja. Donnel offers the one good martial class Kjelle is missing, the stat bonuses and penalties go well enough with Sully's to keep her competitive, and Kjelle's a great Galeforce sweeper when she gets up to speed. (Which comes fast with aptitude).

Meanwhile, galeforce doesn't do much for Nah. No good offensive procs.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    I'd say Donnel and Sully is better than Donnel and Tharja. Donnel offers the one good martial class Kjelle is missing, the stat bonuses and penalties go well enough with Sully's to keep her competitive, and Kjelle's a great Galeforce sweeper when she gets up to speed. (Which comes fast with aptitude).

I wanted to cry after I recruited Kjelle on my run (with Donnel as dad). I beat the chapter, heaved a mighty sigh of relief, and saved the game. Only then did I check my skills, and realize I had passed Sol down instead of Aptitude...

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post

I paired Donnel and Sully my first playthrough. I went for Donnel and Nowi because I mostly went for different pairings this time.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

How viable is Counter to use in Lunatic mode? I'm thinking of breeding it onto my female children, when possible.
    Depend on the strat you're using: If your using hit and run galeforce/rescue stave tactics its ok.

If you are using someone as bait with nosferattu and/or sol do not use it as the extra damage negates the healing you would gain.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

Does anyone know which map DLC or otherwise that is the biggest/let's you field the most units?

05107-66614
    62592-54117

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Does anyone know which map DLC or otherwise that is the biggest/let's you field the most units?
    Probably the one where you recruit Priam. I don't have all the DLC so I can't say for sure, but my biggest problem with that stupid Priam map was just fielding enough warm bodies. It's close to 30 units for your side.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

Apotheosis let's you field about 26 I think?

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rising Phoenix View Post
    Apotheosis let's you field about 26 I think?
    Goody, it's always a letdown to only be able to use a dozen units or so.

05107-66614
    62592-54117