New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Goblins XIV: Clerical Omission.

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    I just find it interesting that instead of taking a few moments to write a small description and think on the right words, he draws a comic that explains nothing and can be taken a multitude of ways?
    It's possible he drew that a while ago.
    If he had a burnout or mental meltdown or something, that could have been how he coped and recovered. Just drawing stuff, without any preasure of deadlines or anything.
    Then now he posted it because he felt that one showed his state of mind.

Or maybe he's just trolling his readers now and sees for how long we'll stick around on promises of "But today I'll really post it!"

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ettin in the Playground

That is clearly a picture of Thunt after being beaten up by Minmax. My theory is proven correct!

3. - Top - End - #213
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by pikeamus View Post
    Can you repost it, or describe it, for those of us that can't see it?
    you can see a monster's withered face in anguish, like that of Mr. Finger. But without hair and darker Skin. In the Background there are two goblins pages on the wall, one of which is ripped and slashed, the other one is askew. seems to be heaviliy cropped.

I'm not irked he drew something beside goblins, it's the "I will post, no I won't, but here's half a Picture that should explain something, yet I know it doesn't" part.

Shouldn't have posted at all if he had nothing. One more day wouldn't have hurt, but once again he Chose to be stupid about it.
    Last edited by Daywalker1983; 2014-03-20 at 12:31 PM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

One of the torn Goblins pages on the wall is the death of Fluffles the owlbear, whatever that may mean. The other page likely contains some horrible suffering as well because that's just Goblins. We're sad.

But anyway, not what I'd say are happy doodles as THunt plays hooky on a tropical isle for a month.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Bugbear in the Playground

Over the past couple of weeks I haven't wanted to speculate about Thunt, but with the cryptic new picture he's posted together with his comment, he is inviting speculation.

That is a remarkably detailed picture he drew. He gave it his best shading & everything.

At first, to me, the Blue Meanie seemed to be someone else attacking Goblins -- but of course, it could also be Thunt himself, transformed.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    I'll put my virtual money on no blog today, and the countdown clock getting a new update in 2 days saying "Blog post coming soon(tm)!"
    First part correct so far. If we get a countdown clock update tomorrow, I win.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

7. - Top - End - #217
    Banned

I have to say...part of me hopes for Thunt's sake that this "emergency" turns out to be something non-serious. However, the other part of me marvels at just how unprofessional taking a month long hiatus from one's job for something like "burn out" and painting it as an emergency would be. If you want to take time off, that's fine...but don't tell people there is some sort of emergency unless it's actually true.

Honestly the only things that I can think of at this point that would be professional would be some sort of health or legal issue, which obviously I hope he doesn't have. Maybe he'll surprise me. I guess we'll learn the truth some time today*.

*Today in Thunt time.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I have to say...part of me hopes for Thunt's sake that this "emergency" turns out to be something non-serious. However, the other part of me marvels at just how unprofessional taking a month long hiatus from one's job for something like "burn out" and painting it as an emergency would be. If you want to take time off, that's fine...but don't tell people there is some sort of emergency unless it's actually true.

Honestly the only things that I can think of at this point that would be professional would be some sort of health or legal issue, which obviously I hope he doesn't have. Maybe he'll surprise me. I guess we'll learn the truth some time today*.

*Today in Thunt time.
    The man posts comics on the internet for our free amusement. I'm not holding him to any particular standard of professionalism. Either read the comic or don't, as you prefer - there's nothing to be gained by telling Thunt how to run his life.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
    The man posts comics on the internet for our free amusement. I'm not holding him to any particular standard of professionalism. Either read the comic or don't, as you prefer - there's nothing to be gained by telling Thunt how to run his life.
    It's still his business...

That aside, he makes an effort to get us involved with his life, and to a certain degree there is an internet persona "THunt" that we have a certain kind of relationship with. Withdrawing that without an explanation is a letdown on his part. On top of that, he just went about it in baffling way.

"Hey guys, I have to take some time of due an emergency of the personal variety. It's gonna take a few days, maybe even weeks. Will be back.

As always, thanks for reading."

There, everything would have been fine. Danielle could have posted that. She could still have done it when she made her nonsensical statement about this not being the blog, though she was blogging it. I'm joking here. But still, in the interest of protecting their business, some expectation management would have been in order.

And if you don't have a blog, don't make people wait for it when you have kept them waiting for too long already.

And for his sake, I hope this is really serious, though in a way that's easily solved, something like: I had a rash on my noodle, I was afraid it's going to rot off, but now it's okay. In that vain.
    Last edited by Daywalker1983; 2014-03-20 at 01:52 PM.

10. - Top - End - #220

Just want to say that if this turns out to be mental-health related -- of course, that can be very serious, and absolutely qualify as an emergency.
    Last edited by Bird; 2014-03-20 at 05:46 PM.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by BannedInSchool View Post
    One of the torn Goblins pages on the wall is the death of Fluffles the owlbear, whatever that may mean. The other page likely contains some horrible suffering as well because that's just Goblins. We're sad.

But anyway, not what I'd say are happy doodles as THunt plays hooky on a tropical isle for a month.
    I thought it was the death of CHief, but the coloring seems wrong for that.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    At first, to me, the Blue Meanie seemed to be someone else attacking Goblins -- but of course, it could also be Thunt himself, transformed.
    Obviously, Thunt accidentally dropped his Shield of Wonder and rolled a 38. How can you draw a comic when you have ogre-hands? It took a month for him to order equipment large enough for him to use. Trying to write a blog-post caused him to break all of his keyboards.

On the plus side, this ironic development will probably give him more insight into the minds of his characters.

EDIT: The movie rights have already been bought by Universal Pictures. Working title is The Hunt for Thunt. Both Ralph Fiennes and Vin Diesel have already expressed an interest in playing the lead.
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2014-03-20 at 02:01 PM.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    Obviously, Thunt accidentally dropped his Shield of Wonder and rolled a 38. How can you draw a comic when you have ogre-hands? It took a month for him to order equipment large enough for him to use. Trying to write a blog-post caused him to break all of his keyboards.

On the plus side, this ironic development will probably give him more insight into the minds of his characters.

EDIT: The movie rights have already been bought by Universal Pictures. Working title is The Hunt for Thunt. Both Ralph Fiennes and Vin Diesel have already expressed an interest in playing the lead.
    *Applause* That was amazing.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

... perhaps his house caught fire?

15. - Top - End - #225
    Banned

The point is that the behavior is going to drive off readers and thus lose him revenue. It's not a good way to run a business. It has nothing to do with my personal opinion of the man.

As far as I can tell, he's reliant on income from the comic. The fact that it may be free to you personally doesn't change the fact that it's a poor way to run a business.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

Not a real guess: Some fan threatened to commit suicide if Forgath died.

Just thinking of things that could seriously derail a comic other than just a creative block. But I wouldn't be surprised if THunt really wanted to get the mind-blowing pages absolutely perfect and it really wasn't happening, with every line seeming wrong.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm not sure I should have laughed as much as I did at that picture in his latest tweet...

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Oh yeah, with that picture, now it's all clear!
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

19. - Top - End - #229

AssassinGuy

The point is that the behavior is going to drive off readers and thus lose him revenue. It's not a good way to run a business. It has nothing to do with my personal opinion of the man.

As far as I can tell, he's reliant on income from the comic. The fact that it may be free to you personally doesn't change the fact that it's a poor way to run a business.
    Sure, it's his source of income. But I very much disagree with the theory that says therefore it's acceptable for random people on the internet to critique his decisions. Exactly what is the logic by which "it's his source of income" gives anybody the right to tell him what he's doing wrong? I'm sure we'd all like to see him do well and become rich, but really, it's none of our business. I think it's every bit as inappropriate as if we were discussing whether he married the right woman.

Also, I'm pretty sure Thunt didn't wake up one day and say, "you know what, I think I'll disappear for a month with no warning." I'm sure he knows it's not optimal. If this is indeed stress-related, I'm sure worry about the impact on his financial situation is a new source of stress that is making it even harder for him to get back to work.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

At this point, I predict his eventual post will include a request for money. And I expect people will give it to him, in spite of everything.
    DM: You come to a fork in the road.
    PC: I pick it up and put it in my pocket.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I had a friend just cancel his CD release show because of clinical depression (he's still working on other promotion, he just didn't feel ready for the public aspect), and Jeph Jacques stabbed himself in the hand when things got too intense for him, so there are definitely times when simply doing "easy tasks" are literally impossible for a person.

I still admit to morbid curiosity as to what's going on, but it would take much more than just stopping out of frustration or stress before I'd let it affect my judgement of him as a person or business owner.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Banned

Sure, it's his source of income. But I very much disagree with the theory that says therefore it's acceptable for random people on the internet to critique his decisions. Exactly what is the logic by which "it's his source of income" gives anybody the right to tell him what he's doing wrong? I'm sure we'd all like to see him do well and become rich, but really, it's none of our business. I think it's every bit as inappropriate as if we were discussing whether he married the right woman.

Also, I'm pretty sure Thunt didn't wake up one day and say, "you know what, I think I'll disappear for a month with no warning." I'm sure he knows it's not optimal. If this is indeed stress-related, I'm sure worry about the impact on his financial situation is a new source of stress that is making it even harder for him to get back to work.
    It's a Goblins discussion thread. We are discussing the comic and author, not sending hate mail. Critiquing things about the comic is literally one of the primary purposes of the thread. We have as much right to talk about it as anything else.

You would have a point if I were making demands of him...but commenting on the way the comic is run is well within the parameters of the discussion.

23. - Top - End - #233

AssassinGuy

It's a Goblins discussion thread. We are discussing the comic and author, not sending hate mail. Critiquing things about the comic is literally one of the primary purposes of the thread. We have as much right to talk about it as anything else.

You would have a point if I were making demands of him...but commenting on the way the comic is run is well within the parameters of the discussion.
    I agree that it's different from making demands of him, but I don't agree that it's an appropriate topic of discussion. Even if it's technically "about" the comic, which I don't necessarily agree with, it feels distastefully personal.

However, you obviously disagree, and you have the right to talk about what you want, so I'll shut up now.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

Point taken, but then you're not his friend nor are you his business partner.

Thunt decided to stop, and that's up to him, he owes me no explanation, reading his comic doesn't give me the right to demand things from him.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Reading his comic might not, but him promising something - say, an explanation - does tend to give someone the right to expect it.

He could've just dropped off the radar for a while. He could've said "Hey, I'm having some issues and won't be able to update for a while. I'll get back to it when I can." Instead he said "I'm having some problems, give me a few days and I'll tell you why" and then never got to the "tell you why" part. That is what bothers people.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Reading his comic might not, but him promising something - say, an explanation - does tend to give someone the right to expect it.

He could've just dropped off the radar for a while. He could've said "Hey, I'm having some issues and won't be able to update for a while. I'll get back to it when I can." Instead he said "I'm having some problems, give me a few days and I'll tell you why" and then never got to the "tell you why" part. That is what bothers people.
    It really hasn't been long enough to say he "never got to the "tell you why" part", he hasn't yet, true, but it's been less than a month since the "This is not that blog post" blog post and it's only a day late from when he claimed he was going to have the blog post up, with several tweets saying he's working on it and he's having a real difficult time doing so.
    Last edited by Reverent-One; 2014-03-20 at 06:31 PM.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

27. - Top - End - #237

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    First part correct so far. If we get a countdown clock update tomorrow, I win.
    Yeah... I checked when I got home from work, and then came over here to let you know that you were spot on.

28. - Top - End - #238

Quote Originally Posted by runeghost View Post
    Yeah... I checked when I got home from work, and then came over here to let you know that you were spot on.
    The clock's said that for days. No change, yet.
    3DS Friend Code: 3067-5674-0852. Currently running: Emerald.

Latias, Groudon, Rayquaza, Kyogre promised to JustPlayItLoud for a shiny Gastly, Gulpin, Frogadier, and Dedenne. Regirock, Regice, Registeel up for grabs.

Spoiler: Living Shinydex Progress 31/718 Newest Shiny: Buneary
    Show
    Gen I: 9/151
    Gen II: 6/100
    Gen III: 7/135
    Gen IV: 3/107
    Gen V: 3/156
    Gen VI: 2/69

Come visit World's Finest Gaming on Tumblr or Facebook or even our Youtube channel and watch me stream!

29. - Top - End - #239
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post

This is exactly it. It's not the hiatus that bothers me. Oots is on hiatus right now and no one complains. It's the manner in which it's performed. They keep saying they'll explain everything soon, and then failing to do so. No one cares if Thunt takes a break (or at least I don't) but the continued "I'll explain soon. I promise" for over a month is unprofessional at best and disrespectful to the readers at worst.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2014-03-20 at 08:28 PM.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Colossus in the Playground

This is exactly it. It's not the hiatus that bothers me. Oots is on hiatus right now and no one complains. It's the manner in which it's performed. They keep saying they'll explain everything soon, and then failing to do so. No one cares if Thunt takes a break (or at least I don't) but the continued "I'll explain soon. I promise" for over a month is unprofessional at best and disrespectful to the readers at worst.
    Thats basically the way I see it. In a way, its even worse than just dropping off the face of the earth. All these constant teasers of "more info soon" then nothing for a week or two. "Update today" Then the only update is, "I dont know how to talk about it, here is a picture" I know he isnt doing this to mess with us, but thats what it starts to feel like. There isnt a single solitary person on this board that would honestly respond to a post like, "Guys, im burnt out, I will be taking a break then scaling back the update schedule" and attack him over it. Hell, LIE to us! If you dont feel like admitting you had a total nervous breakdown, just use the hiatus excuse and leave it at that. Claim you are having massive computer problems that will take time to fix, just give us ANY reason instead of nothing but hints.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."