New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Goblins XIV: Clerical Omission.

Yeah. It kind of reminds me of when people let on that they know a secret, but then say, "oh, but I can't tell you." Why did you even let me know you have a secret then? Can't tell me? Fine. But don't pester me about not telling me.

/I have a friend who reviews movies for a local paper, and he's a great guy, but because of whatever non-disclosure or secrecy clause or whatever, he can't talk about movies until his review comes out. This does not, however, prevent him from going on facebook and saying, "Oh man, this movie that I saw this weekend was SOOO great! I can't tell you guys what it was, though."

And I'm like:
    DM: You come to a fork in the road.
    PC: I pick it up and put it in my pocket.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

"And by today, I meant April 30."
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Thats basically the way I see it. In a way, its even worse than just dropping off the face of the earth. All these constant teasers of "more info soon" then nothing for a week or two.
    "Constant teasers" followed by nothing for a week or two? I only see one such thing, the "This is not the blog post" blog post. Other than that, he didn't post anything until the day he thought he'd get the post out, which apparently gave him far more trouble to write that he thought, even staying up to 6 AM to try to get it done. People are so impatient. Heaven forbid you need to wait a few more hours to learn what's going on.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Orc in the Playground

The countdown message changed first. Then a few days later there was the "This Is Not the Blog" blog. Then three days ago Thunt said he was writing the blog "tomorrow", which then turned into "before I goto bed". Then he went to bed anyway, but left us with a picture.

I'm confident everyone is capable of waiting, however.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by YeahThatGuy View Post
    The countdown message changed first. Then a few days later there was the "This Is Not the Blog" blog. Then three days ago Thunt said he was writing the blog "tomorrow", which then turned into "before I goto bed". Then he went to bed anyway, but left us with a picture.
    And before that all Danielle posted on facebook (on February 22) saying that "He (Thunt) will write a blog post soon".
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

Do we wanna bet that Thunt's explanation will be posted during our forum shutdown, so we couldn't discuss about it?
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    Do we wanna bet that Thunt's explanation will be posted during our forum shutdown, so we couldn't discuss about it?
    Decent chance I will assume we will still be able to discuss it afterwords though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Firbolg in the Playground

Either he really wants to say something, but he can't, or he can't tell us something, but he really wants to.

...oooOOK.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

9. - Top - End - #249
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    It'll be a welcome break from the general tone of this thread, at least.
    3DS Friend Code: 3067-5674-0852. Currently running: Emerald.

Latias, Groudon, Rayquaza, Kyogre promised to JustPlayItLoud for a shiny Gastly, Gulpin, Frogadier, and Dedenne. Regirock, Regice, Registeel up for grabs.

Spoiler: Living Shinydex Progress 31/718 Newest Shiny: Buneary
    Show
    Gen I: 9/151
    Gen II: 6/100
    Gen III: 7/135
    Gen IV: 3/107
    Gen V: 3/156
    Gen VI: 2/69

Come visit World's Finest Gaming on Tumblr or Facebook or even our Youtube channel and watch me stream!

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

And now it's been another 28 hours since that last twitter-picture-post without any more info.

11. - Top - End - #251

Quote Originally Posted by Loreweaver15 View Post
    Yes, a pause would be good.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

12. - Top - End - #252
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Loreweaver15 View Post
    Indeed. The overall hostility towards Thunt in this thread has always been pretty annoying to me
    Playing Magic? Interested in trading? Try Pucatrade!

Trading cards for pucapoints, which you can use to have people send you cards. Just shoot me a message if you got questions.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by raymundo View Post
    Indeed. The overall hostility towards Thunt in this thread has always been pretty annoying to me
    Oh I don't think it's hostility towards Thunt. I think it's hostility towards his behavior, and there's a meaningful difference. I hate it when my wife leaves half-full cans of soda on the table/nightstand, but that doesn't mean I hate her.

I'm actually kind of bugged by the attitude that I see from some of the folks over on the Goblins boards - there's some folks who have a really disturbing "omg we owe Thunt SOOOO much he can do no wrong!" kind of perspective on this. Like, I don't bear the guy any personal ill-will, but I do think he's been acting rudely/unprofessionally, and I don't think it makes me ungrateful/spiteful to express that.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Suvar View Post
    I'm actually kind of bugged by the attitude that I see from some of the folks over on the Goblins boards - there's some folks who have a really disturbing "omg we owe Thunt SOOOO much he can do no wrong!" kind of perspective on this. Like, I don't bear the guy any personal ill-will, but I do think he's been acting rudely/unprofessionally, and I don't think it makes me ungrateful/spiteful to express that.
    It is when his behavior is a result of what seems to be a serious crisis of some sort. If he ends up saying "Sorry guys, I got WAY into some video game and couldn't think of a way to explain it", then complain away, but if (as everything points to currently) something major happened that makes going radio silent reasonable, complaining about it is a pretty selfish jerk move.
    Last edited by Reverent-One; 2014-03-21 at 11:29 AM.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Orc in the Playground

Given how much he's struggling to find the right words for an explanation (much less resuming his comic), I suspect THunt has the same problem as a lot of artists with varying levels of anxiety and OCD: Perfectionism. If it's not exactly right and perfect, it's not worth doing; and nothing can be perfect so I can't do this thing.

I've seen many people crippled by paralysis of the "I can't" just based on the (unreasonable and unreasoning) fear of others' expectations of perfection that can't be argued away. It's certainly a clear-enough explanation of his constant need to improve his shading even when it clearly compromises his delivery schedule and business perception overall.

At this point I'm hoping for the best for the people involved; comics come and go, but even subtle mental illness is a heavy stressor on relationships.
    "With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

-RFC 1925

16. - Top - End - #256
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    It is when his behavior is a result of what seems to be a serious crisis of some sort. If he ends up saying "Sorry guys, I got WAY into some video game and couldn't think of a way to explain it", then complain away, but if (as everything points to currently) something major happened that makes going radio silent reasonable, complaining about it is a pretty selfish jerk move.
    It depends what people complain about. Not giving an explanation is annoying for the readership but, depending on circumstances, can be reasonable and Thunt doesn't owe us any explanation. I'd be perfectly OK with something like "Due to reason I can't/won't divulge, I've been unable to work on the comic for the last few weeks. I'm very sorry and hope to be able to continue the comic as soon as I can."

But promising (to give an explanation) and then not delivering is another thing, and I think that people are within their rights to complain when promises are not delivered on. He'd been better off not promising anything until he actually had his explanation ready. He's too eager to please but (apparently) can't deliver.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Corneel View Post
    It depends what people complain about. Not giving an explanation is annoying for the readership but, depending on circumstances, can be reasonable and Thunt doesn't owe us any explanation. I'd be perfectly OK with something like "Due to reason I can't/won't divulge, I've been unable to work on the comic for the last few weeks. I'm very sorry and hope to be able to continue the comic as soon as I can."

But promising (to give an explanation) and then not delivering is another thing, and I think that people are within their rights to complain when promises are not delivered on. He'd been better off not promising anything until he actually had his explanation ready. He's too eager to please but (apparently) can't deliver.
    On the other hand, saying he was planning on getting the blog post up could have been done to help motivate him to get, what was to him, a difficult job done. He is clearly trying though (well, that or blantantly lying). And despite the fact that he hasn't gotten the post done yet, that's still an incredibly minor inconvience to the audience compared to what he seems to be going through, which leads back to complaining about it being a selfish response to have. As you said, he doesn't owe us a response, so the fact that he's trying through whatever it is he's going through is admirable and justifies cutting him some slack.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

Some people have already said this, but I kind of wanted to phrase it a little differently (or something):

When people say, that the current silence and confusion is hurting the buissness and may drive the readers away, they are right - that's a simple statemant about the effects of the current situation.

When people say, that such a behaviour is unprofessional, they are most likely right as well. There are certain standards, which can be more or less objectively measured (give or take common sense). Lack of information about the reasons for a hiatus most likely qualifies for unprofessional.

There needn't be bad emotions in such statements as the above.

When people ask rhetorical questions along the lines why didn't he simply state the reasons or say anything, they consciously or unconsciously assume, that Thunt is in full control of the situation, which most likely isn't the case - especially, when you consider the latest tweet (or how you name it).

I won't try to divine the reason for the whole hiatus, but if it is a mental breakdown of some sort, then even seemingly simple tasks like posting sorry, taking a break for reasons can become next to impossible and the longer it takes you to do it, the harder it gets. Brain is a marvelous thing, but sometimes the wireing can get messed up. For instance, you can stress over the fact, that you are overstressed. You know consciously, that it's a vicious circle, but you're not necessarily able to get out of it. It's one of those rare things, that Penny Arcade described very accuratly.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

The hiatus doesn't bug me too much, I read Hunter x Hunter after all.

I'm curious what happened with Thunt though, I'd want to say it's a break down of some sort as well but I don't feel too comfortable speculating over stuff like that. I do hope he's okay whatever it is.

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

20. - Top - End - #260
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Even after a month-long hiatus, it still updates more frequently than Dresden Codak.

I expect my grandchildren will finish reading the current Dark Science arc, penned by the cybernetic zombie of Aaron Diaz.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2014-03-21 at 01:46 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Banned

People keep bringing up mental health issues for some reason. No one has said that it isn't completely acceptable to take a break for that reason. I don't know why it keeps being brought up, because no one is arguing against it.

As for the general argument going on in the thread...at this point it's objectively true that people are getting frustrated and I don't see the point in pretending otherwise. It's not the hiatus, it's the fact that we've been told approximately 4 times now that an explanation was forthcoming, yet each time they fail to fulfill the promise. It's perfectly natural to feel frustration with someone who continually tells you to expect something that they seem to have no actual intention of delivering.

It's not exactly constructive, but neither is anything else we have to currently talk about. Everyone here enjoys the comic on some level, and I highly doubt anyone has anything against Thunt. He seems like a nice person who legitimately cares about his work. That doesn't mean we never get frustrated though.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2014-03-21 at 04:19 PM.

22. - Top - End - #262

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    People keep bringing up mental health issues for some reason.
    Thunt is a webcomic artist.

Therefore, he probably suffers from depression. It's simple pattern recognition. What do Tom Siddell, Jeph Jacques, Chris Onstadt, John Campbell, Ronnie Filyaw, KC Green, Jerry Holkins, and more? They're 1. webcomic guys and 2. depressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

23. - Top - End - #263
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    Hardly. I (nor most of the others who are irked) are frustrated NOT be the lack of explanation, but by the "hey, I want to share something important with you. I'll tell you soon. Today. Well, maybe tomorrow. Well, maybe Friday. Well..."

As I specifically mentioned earlier, he's got no obligation to share *anything* with us. But we keep getting notified that there's "a big message coming" and it hasn't materialized in a month, despite repeated updates to the "message coming" status. That's irritating. Either share, or don't share, but quit jerking everyone around. I mean, that's practically the textbook definition of being a passive-aggressive drama queen.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    People keep bringing up mental health issues for some reason. No one has said that it isn't completely acceptable to take a break for that reason. I don't know why it keeps being brought up, because no one is arguing against it.

As for the general argument going on in the thread...at this point it's objectively true that people are getting frustrated and I don't see the point in pretending otherwise. It's not the hiatus, it's the fact that we've been told approximately 4 times now that an explanation was forthcoming, yet each time they fail to fulfill the promise. It's perfectly natural to feel frustration with someone who continually tells you to expect something that they seem to have no actual intention of delivering.

It's not exactly constructive, but neither is anything else we have to currently talk about. Everyone here enjoys the comic on some level, and I highly doubt anyone has anything against Thunt. He seems like a nice person who legitimately cares about his work. That doesn't mean we never get frustrated though.
    Exactly. Plus, it's an internet messageboard. Kvetching about what cheeses you off is half the POINT.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Thunt is a webcomic artist.

Therefore, he probably suffers from depression. It's simple pattern recognition. What do Tom Siddell, Jeph Jacques, Chris Onstadt, John Campbell, Ronnie Filyaw, KC Green, Jerry Holkins, and more? They're 1. webcomic guys and 2. depressed.
    If you hadn't answered or quoted the other post I wouldn't know. Jeph is the only name I recognize on the list.

Just pointing that out.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    If you hadn't answered or quoted the other post I wouldn't know. Jeph is the only name I recognize on the list.

Just pointing that out.
    Gunnerkrigg, QC,Achewood,Pictures for Sad Children,Whomp,Horribleville/Gunshow,Penny Arcade
    W
    I would only have known the first two.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Suvar View Post
    Hardly. I (nor most of the others who are irked) are frustrated NOT be the lack of explanation, but by the "hey, I want to share something important with you. I'll tell you soon. Today. Well, maybe tomorrow. Well, maybe Friday. Well..."

As I specifically mentioned earlier, he's got no obligation to share *anything* with us. But we keep getting notified that there's "a big message coming" and it hasn't materialized in a month, despite repeated updates to the "message coming" status. That's irritating. Either share, or don't share, but quit jerking everyone around. I mean, that's practically the textbook definition of being a passive-aggressive drama queen.
    Again with the exaggerations about updates about this Thunt has done. Twice is not excessive, especially when one is a general heads up and the other is a more specific one. As for your "passive aggressive drama queen" claim, that's jumping to conclusions (specifically, to one that you can feel justified in complaining about), it's as easily a matter as straightforward as Thunt has said thus far, he's having a hard time getting the update out despite his attempts to do so. As has been pointed out, if he's had some sort of mental issue, that can cause these sorts of delays, however earnest Thunt is about getting the update out.

28. - Top - End - #268

I'm with Suvar on this one. Thunt's blatant lack of professionalism has gone from annoying to downright insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

29. - Top - End - #269
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    Gunnerkrigg, QC,Achewood,Pictures for Sad Children,Whomp,Horribleville/Gunshow,Penny Arcade
    W
    I would only have known the first two.
    I've never gotten a depressed vibe off of any of the PA guys. I know one of them has a bit of social anxiety, but that's all. I don't follow any of the other comics though. I don't think that depression is really all that common in webcomic artists anyway though. There are literally hundreds if not thousands of webcomics out there. The fact that a handful of the artists are depressed is more a result of the sample size than anything intrinsically wrong with webcomic artists.

I'm going to drop the professionalism argument. I haven't changed my opinion, but the negativity is obviously ruining the thread for other people, which is not something I want. Let's just all agree that we hope Thunt is ok and move on.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2014-03-21 at 07:54 PM.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    I'm with Suvar on this one. Thunt's blatant lack of professionalism has gone from annoying to downright insulting.
    Yep, never mind that he's a human being dealing a situation that was major enough for him to stop work at his main source of income, I'm sure he's not getting the blog post up specifically to insult his audience. That jerk, doesn't he know the massive inconvenience he's inflicting on us?
    Last edited by Reverent-One; 2014-03-21 at 07:53 PM.