New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Question PTA & PTU(Pokemon Tabletop Adventues/United) Differences

Pokemon Tabletop Adventures/United

I don't really see all that much of a difference between the two systems.

PTA has from what I've seen a better trainer class system and trainer growth

Well PTU provides slightly easier class requirements and more pokemon points per level.
    Couldn't one just take the increased point values of PTU and apply them to PTA?

Basic question being what is the difference between the two. When will we see an update for 6th gen pokemon. And why do people prefer one or the other
    Last edited by Vknight; 2014-03-06 at 05:01 AM.
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Pta & Ptu

Just so you know, PTA and PTU aren't hugely known acronyms - plus, PTA is more associated with Prime Time Adventures in the first place. It might be worth spelling them out.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Pokemon tabletop adventures and... Pokemon topless umbrellas?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Powered Tuba Unicycles!
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Pokemon Tabletop United.

Which, by the way, already has 6th gen Pokemon in it; have you seen the latest update for it?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Perfectly Trimmed Azaleas.

vs

Potatoes and Tubers Underground.

I like potatoes better.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Perfectly Trimmed Azaleas.

vs

Potatoes and Tubers Underground.

I like potatoes better.
    Word.

How does one find these Pokemon systems? What kinda of games would one run with Pokemon?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
    Pokemon Tabletop United.

Which, by the way, already has 6th gen Pokemon in it; have you seen the latest update for it?
    ...The only helpful answer.

And no I don't have the latest updates why I was asking about them

And also the difference between the two.
    And were I could find the latest updates
    Check Out

Spoiler
    Show
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Default Re: PTA & PTU(Pokemon Tabletop Adventues/United) Differences

You get out of questions what you out into them. Throwing acronyms at a forum blind and walking away for a day won't do you any good.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269337

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Tabletop_United

http://pokemontabletop.wikidot.com/

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200481

That's all I could find with a minute of google. Hope it helps get you rollin'~!

Back to work I suppose.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

...I could make that acronym thing a commentary on the stuff that goes on in the D&D forums for anyone who doesn't know them.

Also I was away for a day sleeping.

And it seems like they have diversified the two games in the stat department but what about the pokemon?
    Classes? The actual make up for Trainers?

-Edit-

I have read LoneStarNorths campaign journal... I hate everything about it.
    And I could rant on all the things I find wrong with it
    Last edited by Vknight; 2014-03-06 at 08:52 AM.
    Check Out

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vknight View Post
    ...I could make that acronym thing a commentary on the stuff that goes on in the D&D forums for anyone who doesn't know them.
    Sure, but it's reasonable to expect the people in the D&D forums to know the D&D acronyms to some extent. It's also reasonable to expect everybody here to recognize the acronym D&D, as it's the game dominating the market. PTA & PTU aren't as recognizable, and PTA suffers the additional complication of being an acronym for two things, with Pokemon Tabletop Adventures the less known of the two. It's the same way I wouldn't just mention LoA vs. DF vs. DtS magic systems, or FAE vs. SoF vs. FC - except on a Fate forum, where I would fully expect all of those to be recognized.

As for the systems, they look pretty much the same. There's a few subtle differences, but they don't amount to much, and they certainly look basically compatible.
    Last edited by Knaight; 2014-03-06 at 01:47 PM.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

-- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Sure, but it's reasonable to expect the people in the D&D forums to know the D&D acronyms to some extent. It's also reasonable to expect everybody here to recognize the acronym D&D, as it's the game dominating the market. PTA & PTU aren't as recognizable, and PTA suffers the additional complication of being an acronym for two things, with Pokemon Tabletop Adventures the less known of the two.

As for the systems, they look pretty much the same. There's a few subtle differences, but they don't amount to much, and they certainly look basically compatible.
    Its kind of a joke Knaight. Also it does point out a valid fact someone looking for advice or someone who hasn't memorized this stuff won't immediately recognize it. Just like the PTA & PTU, unless you know it you won't get it

System differences I have found
    3 Stats for trainers in PTU, instead of the classic 6 stat structure used in PTA.
    The various prestige classes are spread around the source pdf's when it comes to PTU.
    PTA put all the trainer information in one book
    PTU has some interesting ideas and some horrible ideas for campaign suggestions. Same for custom pokemon
    The pokemon universe is a kitchen sink of sci-fi + fantasy. PTA embraces this. PTU tries to separate things and classify all the details trying too keep an order to these things

Neither game has pokemon stats beyond 5th generation pokemon

Yeah the only differences are the points awarded too pokemon.
    Last edited by Vknight; 2014-03-06 at 01:48 PM.
    Check Out

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

System differences I have found
    3 Stats for trainers in PTU, instead of the classic 6 stat structure used in PTA.
    The various prestige classes are spread around the source pdf's when it comes to PTU.
    PTA put all the trainer information in one book
    PTU has some interesting ideas and some horrible ideas for campaign suggestions. Same for custom pokemon
    The pokemon universe is a kitchen sink of sci-fi + fantasy. PTA embraces this. PTU tries to separate things and classify all the details trying too keep an order to these things.
    These are pretty minor - the core systems are close enough that you might even be able to use PTU and PTA trainers in the same game, though it would slow things down a bit. As for organization, they're both kind of a mess, but that's par for the course with RPGs in general, and I've seen much worse than PTU (which I'd consider the worse of the two) in published games.

-- ChubbyRain

14. - Top - End - #14

The main thing PTU does is create uniform stats between humans and Pokemon to try to make interaction between them easier. Determining, for instance, what happens if a Pokemon tries to sneak past a human or if a Pokemon attacks a human doesn't really have clear rules in PTA because the systems they use are completely different (not sure if the newest version of PTA deals with that or not).

This does however lead to some things like being able to build a human who can fight Pokemon directly rather than have his own team, which may or may not be a good or bad thing depending on your perspective.

PTU also tends to be more disassociated from the actual Pokemon because of their custom stat system.

PTU also claims to have gone from the ground up to fix class imbalances from PTA, but again that's a YMMV issue. I haven't played either more than a coupe times so I can't comment.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by squiggit View Post
    The main thing PTU does is create uniform stats between humans and Pokemon to try to make interaction between them easier. Determining, for instance, what happens if a Pokemon tries to sneak past a human or if a Pokemon attacks a human doesn't really have clear rules in PTA because the systems they use are completely different (not sure if the newest version of PTA deals with that or not).

This does however lead to some things like being able to build a human who can fight Pokemon directly rather than have his own team, which may or may not be a good or bad thing depending on your perspective.

PTU also tends to be more disassociated from the actual Pokemon because of their custom stat system.

PTU also claims to have gone from the ground up to fix class imbalances from PTA, but again that's a YMMV issue. I haven't played either more than a coupe times so I can't comment.
    PTU's uniform rules are a mess though and terrible at that job.

Just take a pokemons speed to determine how stealthy it can be + a bonus for any qualities
    They mention which stats a trainer uses in PTA to act like the equivalent stat for a pokemon
    So they provide two distinct stat setups and make them work together despite being different. Rather then trying to hammer them together

Fighting pokemon directly has always been apart of the series. And PTA makes it work. PTU from what I've read does not

PTU has nothing in it that I think fixes any inherent problems with the classes. Sure PTA has problems buy PTU doesn't fix them and in others it just ruins the point of the class

All in all I suggest sticking too PTA, using things from PTU when you want. But avoiding using plain PTU unless you want headaches for a supposed fix
    Check Out

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

I wouldn't say terrible, I've never had a problem working with them. Might be a system experience issue.

It definitely is a lot less polished though. Admittedly I stopped using PTU for completely unrelated reasons to gameplay though. (the developers' attitude really).

17. - Top - End - #17

Neither game has pokemon stats beyond 5th generation pokemon
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331762

Yes it does.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Correction they do have them. But the PTU people couldn't keep the continuous organization of it being

All the starters

All the X pokemon and so on

Instead it goes like that until it starts counting off with the 6th gen pokemon... Meaning its a mess and you would have every right not to notice it

-

Some things can be complicated but once you get them easy to do
    Some things can be complicated and a tad tiresome and things
    and finally
    Some things are fantasy heart breakers
    Check Out

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19

Correction they do have them. But the PTU people couldn't keep the continuous organization of it being

All the starters

All the X pokemon and so on

Instead it goes like that until it starts counting off with the 6th gen pokemon... Meaning its a mess and you would have every right not to notice it
    Uh...? there's a table of contents. You realize this, right?

Some things can be complicated but once you get them easy to do
    Some things can be complicated and a tad tiresome and things
    and finally
    Some things are fantasy heart breakers
    I don't think Fantasy Heartbreaker really applies to anything Pokemon related.

I'm not sure exactly what your problems with PTU are? Your posts are hard to follow for me, and I admit I've never played PTA but PTU seems more elegant and integrated from reading both of them.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
    Uh...? there's a table of contents. You realize this, right?

I don't think Fantasy Heartbreaker really applies to anything Pokemon related.

I'm not sure exactly what your problems with PTU are? Your posts are hard to follow for me, and I admit I've never played PTA but PTU seems more elegant and integrated from reading both of them.
    Said table of contents not including 6th generation pokemon on it...
    Again why I didn't even know they were in it initially because the table of contents does not include them. A table of contents is only an aid when it provides the information in question

I never said fantasy heart breaker applied too PTU. I said that some systems are fantasy heart breakers, others hard to learn but easy once you get it, and finally some are complicated with little reward too actually knowing it

PTU is integrated, when did that become a good thing? Answer me that when did it become good for it too be that I can look at two different sheets and go huh which is your pokemons and which is your stats?
    Check Out

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21

Said table of contents not including 6th generation pokemon on it...
    It is on mine. And incase I miss it, there's also a note in the introduction saying the newest Pokemon are in an appendix at the back. Dunno what's wrong with your copy.

PTU is integrated, when did that become a good thing? Answer me that when did it become good for it too be that I can look at two different sheets and go huh which is your pokemons and which is your stats?
    Well, first of all, the character sheets divide the Trainer and the Pokemon up pretty clearly; each in-game entity has it's own sheet.

And....what? You're asking why it's a good thing for things to be integrated? You're the same person complaining that PTA had rules for Pokemon and Trainers interacting but PTU didn't, right? Well that gripe is solved by the fact that Trainers and Pokemon function the same in the game rules and thus don't need a special rules patch to interact with each other.

It's the same as how, in D&D 3.5, PCs, NPCs, and Monsters are effectively all built using the same rules and mechanics with only a few caveats.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Why is this somehow a bad thing? Take attribute systems - you can generally stat up a whole bunch of different things with them. GURPS uses Strength, Dexterity, Health, and Intelligence, and you could easily apply these to a human, an elephant, or even a robot - which allows it to model multiple things, which is a good thing. You can even apply this to the skill system, and you can nicely have them interacting, whether it's the Lion applying some variety of a "maul your face off skill" against some variety of a "beat it with a sharp object" skill or the Lion applying some sort of perception skill (probably at a nice high level) against some sort of relevant hiding skill (which probably isn't exactly great, as hiding from smells is rather niche).

Basically, it lets the humans and pokemon interact directly, and it lets them interact with the environment in the same sort of way. If you use something like D&D stats for humans, you can model them climbing with a Strength + Climb check. This then runs into problems with pokemon if they are using the pokemon stats - special attack isn't exactly relevant here.

-- ChubbyRain

23. - Top - End - #23
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Most of us do stuff like use names and labels. And as mentioned, the character sheets are neatly divided up.

We get that you like PTA better than PTU. But your 'objections' to it aren't making any sense past They Changed It Now It Sucks.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Most of us do stuff like use names and labels. And as mentioned, the character sheets are neatly divided up.
    And even if you don't, the instant you see something like "Thunderbolt" or "Leech Life" on the sheet somewhere it's pretty clear you're dealing with a pokemon sheet.

-- ChubbyRain

25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground

Most of us do stuff like use names and labels.
    "'Ash Ketchum'? What sort of Pokemon is an 'Ash Ketchum'? I'm sorry, I just can't let you play this; you need to pick something else for Pikachu's starter."
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    "'Ash Ketchum'? What sort of Pokemon is an 'Ash Ketchum'? I'm sorry, I just can't let you play this; you need to pick something else for Pikachu's starter."
    Considering that Ash was the one tanking most of the hits for the first few episodes...
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    And even if you don't, the instant you see something like "Thunderbolt" or "Leech Life" on the sheet somewhere it's pretty clear you're dealing with a pokemon sheet.
    Well... Trainers can learn Moves in PTU.

But Trainer and Pokemon character sheets look completely different. So you'd have to be half blind to actually get them confused.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

We get that you like PTA better than PTU. But your 'objections' to it aren't making any sense past They Changed It Now It Sucks.
    In an attempt too make the system more uniform they made it lose a distinction between trainer and pokemon that I think needs too exist for it to be a pokemon game.
    Their is already a game with a monster you command that uses similar rules too you and its called Monsters & Other Childish Things, which in the case of monsters it works because they use the same rules but in very distinct and different ways.
    Trainers and Pokemon do not
    Check Out

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground

Pokemon Tabletop United has better balance and a good skills system, so I like it more. When psychics and like classes in PTU use moves they use them with the same frequency as pokemon. The trainers have stats that can be directly compared to pokemon so battles that involve trainers are a bit more balanced and easy to conduct. Also I like the class system more when someone wants to play a medic or botanist, but not be a breeder (only one example of a much more fluid class system).

Pokemon Tabletop Adventures has a better capture system if memory serves.

Other than that they are largely the same. I see PTU as an upgrade to Adventures, but they both serve well as pokemon systems and parts actually go between the systems quite well.
    "I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities... Quickly please, before they are out of range."

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science!!"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Darkweave31 View Post
    Pokemon Tabletop United has better balance and a good skills system, so I like it more. When psychics and like classes in PTU use moves they use them with the same frequency as pokemon. The trainers have stats that can be directly compared to pokemon so battles that involve trainers are a bit more balanced and easy to conduct. Also I like the class system more when someone wants to play a medic or botanist, but not be a breeder (only one example of a much more fluid class system).

Pokemon Tabletop Adventures has a better capture system if memory serves.

Other than that they are largely the same. I see PTU as an upgrade to Adventures, but they both serve well as pokemon systems and parts actually go between the systems quite well.
    They can do all those things in PTA as well, with equal frequency, or a health cost

PTA notes special requirements to get the various prestige classes without being the base class in question. Its got each class being a focus and then you can get into prestige classes by meeting requirements. A cook can be anyone but breeders gravitate to it

I will say my copy does not note that anywhere in the first pages, nor do the 6th gen pokemon show up in the table of contents.
    Check Out

Spoiler
    Show