New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GenCrawl Gaiden

1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default GenCrawl Gaiden

Anyone else seen this quirky little webcomic-slash-game? It's kind a spiritual successor to the previous GenCrawl, except this time there's plot!

I know, I'm just as surprised as you are.

For those of us new to the GenCrawl concept, the readers control a party of characters as they do the murderhobo thing - kill monsters in their homes, acquire loot, convert it to more monster killing. Domochevsky, the artist, included a handy how-to for formatting and instructions. It's pretty exciting, really - in a lot of ways we get to define the game world, the class features, everything.

Links
    Current page
    Start Page

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: GenCrawl Gaiden

*pokes the thread with a stick*

Im not sure if this should be here.. or under gaming?
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    *pokes the thread with a stick*

Im not sure if this should be here.. or under gaming?
    Ha! Well, GenCrawl does describe itself as a webcomic, so...

Incidentally, Dat Near TPK. We need to maybe be less uncautious next time.

Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

i blame George's parents. They should have known lettin their daughter go into fire spellcasting would make her volitile and angry.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5

Hey an update!

Thomas is mad at us >.>

My extended homebrew sig

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Apparently this Thread was meant for GenGaiden mechanics and plot theorising.

So that's what I'll do.

But first, notice how the last gasp from a dead world was an increase to our Intelligence.
    And how when we changed our... 'self' that we swapped our Intelligence for Will.

I'll probably add some useful data like damage numbers and class speculations when It's not whatever'o'clock over here.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Default I am awake!

Here's some info/speculation/theories:
    Upon reaching 0 HP you are rendered Unconscious, in this state you can either be stable or not. The latter condition meaning that you are going into negative HP. The limit for how far you are allowed to go before you die is unknown (Although I assume it is equal to your maximum HP). If an attack send you under 0 HP, I assume, even whilst your're unconscious (stable/otherwise) then you straight-up die. [Might only apply to non-cannon fodder like Party members, important NPC's and whatever the hell KNITTER KNIGHT's are supposed to be. Miniboss maybe?]
    With that done let's move onto some dmg and hp numbers.

It takes 20 dmg to knock a KNITTER KNIGHT unconscious i.e. 0 Health. Unless they are MOUNTED then their LANKY LANCE can do bugger all damage. Though they do have WEB SHIELDS to intercept some damage.
    It takes 11 dmg (possibly less) to kill a GOOPY GUNMAN. They're equipped with CRAPPY CAPS and RATTLING RIFLES that can SLIME targets and deal BLUNT dmg. Being SLIMED appears to reduce the squares you can travel.
    It takes between 5 & 9 dmg to kill a SLIMY SWORDSMAN (Send it into negative HP). They're equipped with CRAPPY CAPS (at least, they Look like CRAPPY CAPS) and BOTCHED BROADSWORDS (dmg unknown).
    SLIMY SWORDSMEN and GOOPY GUNMEN appear to be elemental-flavoured. We currently have seen: FIRE, LIGHTNING, ARCANE. There are three colours that we have seen but not seen the effects of: green (POISON?), light-blue, dark-blue.
    SLIMY SWORDSMEN (possibly GOOPY GUNMEN too?) can OOZEBOND to a weapon to empower it with their elemental status (appears to overwrite the base damage of that weapon though i.e. 4 CUTTING dmg becomes 4 ARCANE dmg).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Class Speculation

GEORGE: SORCERESS (SpecFire)
    Casts fire spells with variable range and damage. Those with a larger area appear to have a lower max dmg threshold. Those with a LEAST prefix are incapable of crits.
    Fire spells generates HEAT upon/after casting. Our current limit is 3 (+1 due to the COOLING COBALT CUFFLINK we got from EMILY), if we go even 1 Heat over this we set everyone in a one-square radius and ourselves on fire after dealing Fire dmg (seemingly) equal to our HEAT. We also appear to get HEADACHES if we ever get 1 Heat away from OVERHEATING.
    You can also VENT up to 3 Heat into one direction/enemy (Maybe more?) to avoid this fate. Sometimes it might even have an effect!

EMILY: ROCK KNIGHT
    Tough as boulders. Capable of creating EARTH SHARDS that can do many wonderful EARTHY things. Currently we have only seen LESSER EARTH SHIELD which adds +1 armor for a set number of being hit. (Presumably there is a better variant)
    Capable of generating EARTH SHARDS through concentration or drinking RIGHTEOUS ROCK GENCOLA. Can only hold two EARTH SHARDS in existence.
    Also has as SECRET SKILL which apparently converts normal dmg into EARTH dmg.

BEARINGTON: WINDBLADE
    Wind-aligned. Uses Rhythm generated by specific attacks that are then consumed to power better attacks. Current form of wind dmg is solely through the GALE BLADES which replace normal dmg with WIND dmg for building attacks, and adds WIND dmg for consuming attacks.

THOMAS: SEA WITCH
    Healing/crowd control done through water contained in CAMEL PACK/nearby water sources. Healing can only be done if the water used is enchanted/purified, any water can be used for crowd control stuff.
    Healing is Healing, and CC is controlling the enemies movements through creating undesirable terrain.

9. - Top - End - #9

One wonders if there's any kind of level-based caps on their skills or skills known or anything...

My extended homebrew sig

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Probably not. If it's anything like GenCrawl then you could stick every single one of your points into one skill for as long as you want. Of course, with GenCrawl this was allowed because there was such a large amount of Skills all considered 'important' that they never thought someone would be stupid enough to put all their attention solely on a single skill.
    As for skills known, I think it's such a high number that it never really becomes a problem.

11. - Top - End - #11

Hey, update!

And we can spend Study Credits to train evidently...

My extended homebrew sig

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Here's a list of all the important stuff:
    • MIRANDA is the SPORTS ADVISOR. She is also apparently the Nurse's daughter.
    • Using the Sport facilities apparently requires STUDY CREDITS (Apparently given at/with level-up) or Monies.
    • TENNIS increases TOUGHNESS and PRECISION.
    • +1 TOUGHNESS to GEORGE for TENNIS.
    • THOMAS really cares about not letting people die. Like, "I will hurt you" levels of caring.
    • Depleting WILL allows us to overcome our personality characteristics.
    • Purifying Flames allows ranged debuff removal. (Possible dmg to target)
    • Elemental Alignment forces skills to express themselves through the element i.e. healing through purifying flames, dmg through fire blasts, control through heating an area up for a long period of time, etc.
    • We choose how to spend the STUDY CREDITS for our friends thanks to the PURPLE BOOK. Should probably ask friend for their input.
    • THOMAS wants passives upgrades to DOUSE. Larger area/debuff those standing in the puddle.
    • Only we can ponder the change to our hair.
    • PLAN: Get loots from home. Sell loots in school. Get healed. Spend remaining dosh on else.
    • PLAN: We's gonna get VICTORIA when we go back to school. Maybe learn some CONTROL skills from the THESPIANS.
    • Father is a gardener, Mother is a badass who stores guns in hammerspace.
    • Inventory Slots replaced with hammerspace region limited by weight. Overweight = over-encumbered = decreased SPEED (presumably)
    • LOOTS: LANKY LANCE, GLITTERGLASS, SCRAP METAL, CHAOS RUBBLE SAMPLE, SILKEN SHIELD, 5 CRAPPY CAPS, 2 BOTCHED BROADSWORDS, 3 SHARP SLUSHES, MESSY MUCUS.
    • PLAN: What is being kept, what is being sold (and where)?
    Last edited by ChetBetera; 2014-04-20 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Correction

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by ChetBetera View Post
    Here's a list of all the important stuff:
    • MIRANDA is the SPORTS ADVISOR. She is also apparently our mother's daughter.
    Her name is listed as MIRANDA MORROW. That'd probably make her the nurse's daughter.

My extended homebrew sig

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

I really need to slow down and make sure I understand what I'm reading. Fixed now though.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

GLITTERGLASS, SCRAP METAL, CHAOS RUBBLE SAMPLE, 3 SHARP SLUSHES, MESSY MUCUS: All crafting materials/vendor trash. Let's get them identified before we decide what to do with them.
    LANKY LANCE: Useless unless we somehow gain the ability to charge. Or convert the length past the vamplate into a blade. Make it into some sort of bastard sword or changdao. Sell it otherwise.
    SILKEN SHIELD: Identify. If its better than Emily's current shield then give it to her, otherwise keep it for ourselves (assuming we can cast with a shield equipped).
    5 CRAPPY CAPS: Identify one. If they help then give one to each party member, otherwise vendor them.
    2 BOTCHED BROADSWORDS: Identify or sell them straight off. MAYBE keep one for personal use.

Anyone have any problems with this?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Not really, but if you're making a command-y post maybe it should go on the comic page?
    "Actually I don't know how to write a post, I just write essays and put them on forums"
    Spoiler
    Show

"We have a visual on the ninja, he appears to be... coding? *gurk*"
    Ninja 7/Rogue 7/Bard 1
    All above pictures are Ceikatars!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

Also remembered something from a previous update I wanted to talk about. Here it is ad verbatim.

Here’s my theory on Elementals, Rubble or otherwise.

Each Elemental is summoned or “born” with one layer of it’s respective element (though some weaker ones may be created sans layer) and it is capable of absorbing a certain amount of damage. It can absorb items of it’s element in order to generate a new layer that has a certain amount of hp. Once this hp has been burnt through it can then be attacked directly. Also, the number of layers correlate to the damage/awesomeness of the elemental.

Have no idea what the Chaos suffix means.
    And here's a refresher on what Places we know about about and what they do, just in case anyone's forgotten.

SUFFERING SAINTS SOCIETY (Swimming Hall 2)
    Learn debuffs, healing magic and get healed; for a price. Discount if you join.
    =Surfer: Water, Healing/Support(Defensive)
    Male. Took 3 drama classes and thinks that makes him Shakespeare. Can breathe water.
    =Nymph: Water, Healing/Control
    Male. Control involves water damage. May learn water-wall and ice powers later.

THAUMATURGICAL THESPIANS (Arts Building via bottom bridge, side of the Main Building. No. of people vary.)
    Gossip pick-up place. Can purchase a PLAY to boost REPUTATION in exchange for a SMALL FORTUNE.
    =Tough Troubadour: Support(Buff+Dispel)
    Male/Female. Fights with a bloody rapier.
    =Victoria:Striker
    Female. Dislikes Entropic Entertainers (read:brutes). Thinks friendship with George still exists. Experienced with plays.

ENTROPIC ENTERTAINERS (Down the Arts Building hall and through an unassuming door on the left.)
    Same as above club.
    =Bearington: Wind, Striker/Support
    Bear. Rock-solid family reputation. Might be too busy, Sword Style: ripshredkill.
    =Dire Dirgesingers: Control(Debuff)
    Male/Female. Weapon: Harmonica. A freakin’ Harmonica. Their Control better be good.

ELDRITCH SYMBOLS AND MARKS GROUP (Top floor, Main Building. Classroom at the end of a darkened hallway.)
    Studiers of Primal Chaos and all things which can sap your Sanity (Bring Fragment of Elemental for them to study?). Purchase one-shot SCRIPTS here.
    =Inscriber: Sigils, Traps/Support
    SIGILS cause Sanity Loss (with Med. Luck). Don’t think too much about what their drawing or what it’s being drawn with.

ENGINEER GARAGE (Outside stairs, Flat Side-Building)
    Blasphemers of PHYSICS! Will Invent in exchange for Parts and Monies.
    =Marcus: Summoning((Mini-)Mech)
    Male. 2nd Cousin to to Emily on her mom’s side. Disliked people interupting him whilst he’s working. Useful contact.

MACHINE SHOP (Outside stairs, Machine Shop. Further down from the Engineer Garage.)
    Mr.Maulson is on medical leave. Nathan Ironwood is the TA. Post Job Bulletins in the news newspaper. Doesn’t care where materials come from (Disposal of Elemental?)
    Make Equipment in exchange for Parts and/or Monies.
    =Anvil-Smasher: Striker(specHammer)
    Male/Female. Does what it says on the hammer. (WARNING: Hammer may vary between people.)
    =Forge-Stoker: Sorcerer(specFire)
    Redundant.

ADVISOR OFFICE (Through side entrance 4, from outer stairway near Swimming Hall 4)
    Home of Miranda Morrow, daughter of Nurse Morrow, friend to George, SPORTS ADVISOR!
    Provides access to various sports that can increase various stats in exchange for ? Monies or 1 Study Credit.
    Last edited by ChetBetera; 2014-04-21 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Addition

18. - Top - End - #18

My god, an update! AT LAST!

My extended homebrew sig

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

My Daily Domo Dosage has finally been saited... for the time being.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Something I got to talk about here.
    We salvaged 1 BOTCHED SWORD and 2 CRAPPY CAPS, for (what seems like) 1 and 2 SCRAP METALS each, respectively, for an expected total of 5 SCRAP. Yet we received 3 SCRAP METALS and a MURKY GEM. Which means that we got 1 SCRAP from the SWORD, 2 SCRAP from one CAP, and the 2 SCRAP from the other CAP was somehow converted into 1 MURKY GEM.

What I think this means is that the ICON in the purple square shows what kind of material we can get (metallic/crystalline stuff from LANCE, CAP, and SWORD I think; and some sort of thread-like thing from the SILKEN SHIELD) and the number shows the number of the base quality item we can get from it i.e. We can get 1 SCRAP from the SWORD, but 2 from the CAP; equipment is probably given a number and when salvaged will probably turn into specific items or material(s) with a given quality number which matches the equipment number i.e. A SCRATCHY GREAVE with a equipment number of 4 could be turned into 4 SCRAP/ 2 GEM/ 2 SCRAP, 1 GEM (If it could be salvaged by the same type as CAPS and SWORDS.

OR it's all random and the numbers don't mean anything!

21. - Top - End - #21

In a discussion unrelated to the mechanics of the game/comic, am alone in thinking that Emily is freaking adorable?

My extended homebrew sig

22. - Top - End - #22

Just discovered this a couple days ago, so glad I managed to get caught up fast enough to participate. I really want to play a game in this setting now, it's awesome and looks like it has a lot of potential.

And no, you're not alone--she and George are so cute, my wall is already full of the holes I've had to punch in it to feel manly again
    Last edited by Amaril; 2014-05-05 at 03:45 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

the fact that it's an interactive webcomic just makes it so much fun to read. i remember back in the origionl gengame one of the characters encountered a statue holding a sword, on a whim i declared the sword the "unlit sacred sword of the bearcolites" and included a breif guide on how to light it. other people added to that, it was added into the comic, and eventually that sword being lit became a pivotal plot point for that character to sucseed in her quest. a major event happened because i turned what was likely meant to be a simple stone statue into a cool artifact!
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

That reminds me of something Domo' once said (somewhere, I forget where exactly), "Everything said in the comments is considered to be fact until it has been contradicted within the comic." I also believe he said that he will never outright declare something to be 'in the rules' or not. So whatever you write has the potential to be correct, right up until the point where it is proved to be otherwise. May be misremembering a bit though, not 100% sure.

25. - Top - End - #25

Huh. So Victoria has POWER and ALLURE. And the staff thing worked!

My extended homebrew sig

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

Psst... Guess what?... It's an UPDATE!

Seems like we've finally got our head in the game and gotten down to it. We've also found out what the Engineers are good for. Smacking items together for 3 Monies apiece in a direct violation of the laws of physics in order to create an item and the ITEM COMBINATION (Read: RECIPE) for it.
    Seriously, so much blasphemy against all that is logical.

And now we are ready to descend once more into the hallway of potential death. Let's hope there's not a ambush waiting for us, that would make too much sense.

27. - Top - End - #27

Urge to roleplay rising...

Okay, so obviously we're gonna need to buff everyone up as much as possible before we head down there--presumably there's more of those Knitter Knights, and just one of them ran circles around Bearington, so we'll need every advantage.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Amaril View Post
    Urge to roleplay rising...
    Well why not? It's a webcomic RPG, is it not?

My extended homebrew sig

29. - Top - End - #29

Ah fudge, looks like we get one Heat continuously per casting of Blazing Blade. Guess we should just use it on Emily.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Well why not? It's a webcomic RPG, is it not?
    Every time something like this comes along, I immediately feel an urgent need to make an OC and start up a private game in the same setting. So that's what I meant.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Amaril View Post
    Every time something like this comes along, I immediately feel an urgent need to make an OC and start up a private game in the same setting. So that's what I meant.
    So do it. Link it in the thread so we can watch/participate.

My extended homebrew sig