New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. II: It's A Magical Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TheOldCrow View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I hope the show deals with the effect on Ward of being mind controlled and forced to do those things. It is a pretty awful thing to happen to someone.
    Eh, I see where you're coming from but with all of Coulson's drama it'd be nice to see someone just get on with their life, and Mr. Generic Army Guy is probably the best candidate for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

A bit off-thread? But anyone feels that with Fury's disappearance...

Spoiler
    Show
    We might be looking at the Skrull invation?

3. - Top - End - #93

Quote Originally Posted by DukeGod View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    Pretty sure it has to do with Captain America movie.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DukeGod View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    According to James Gunn

Marvel only partially owns Skrulls, and also for the record, we don't own the Badoon either. So people were asking why we have the Sakaarans in the film, we don't own the Badoon.
    Some of the Skrulls are tied up in the Fantastic Four license, just like Agents of SHIELD can never use the word "mutant" because that's included in the X-Men license, even though Scorch was most likely a mutant.
    Last edited by Joran; 2014-03-13 at 04:40 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95

Scorch is 100% a mutant. Much like how that kid who made the ice machine is a mutate (going off what Deadpool has told me, anyway. Mutates are normal people who've been altered).

But we can't use those terms! Hooray and such. I'm actually kind of glad we can't, since it lets us use more interesting terms.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

One big spoiler for everything.
    Actually how long after an episode should we use spoilers?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    Also Jaime Alexander clearly needs good direction, an intimidating presence she is not. Compared to Ming Na's portrayal of May, it's so very underwhelming.
    And compare May to Ming-Na's character in some other shows like SG:Universe, who is basically May's opposite, played by the same actress. Some people are clearly more talented than others. Ming-Na is among them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chen View Post
    And WHY did Ward just let Lorelei come up to him and touch him? I mean come on, they told you she needed to touch strong willed individual men to convert them. He had his night-night gun aimed RIGHT at her. Why not just shoot her repeatedly? It's not going to kill her. These aren't cops using less-lethal weapons where you're supposed to be showing restraint. We're talking super-villain evil beings and you're a black ops government agency with weapons that magically have no consequences. These guys would be shooting first ALL the time.
    Thought the same thing when watching the scene. But i think that indeed her voice had already some effect, we can see Ward hesitating even before she touch him. He should have shot her before she open her mouth.
    May also seems to be the super rational cold person, yet she decides to break up with Ward because he did bad things while completely mind controlled? Sif told her an Asgardian she was close to couldn't resist Lorelei's powers, so why would Ward be any different?
    I'm pretty sure she dumped him because she was confirmed that he wanted Skye more. It was obvious in the first episode, notably to May. It went off because of Skye's treason, and her relationship with hacker guy.
    I'm also somewhat confused as to why Coulson is so freaked out over alien blood/juice/whatever being used to bring him back. Enough that he was willing to let Skye die to not have it in her. At least Skye brings him back to reality in saying "uh we're alive and nothing bad seems to be happening to you".
    More freak out because he don't know at all what's going on and what could be the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Lorelei is coming back in a movie. Odin specifically wanted her alive, and Odin is Loki right now so...
    Pretty sure that Loki want to use her and her power in some way.
    Also, I like how it seems that May is a double agent. It's a nice twist that I did NOT see coming.
    Totally agree. Maybe not a double agent per se since i believe she actually watching Coulson for Fury.
    Finally, a theory. Skye was named Skye because "She's the sky child". The villagers that were taking care of her knew to some degree that she was of alien origin, and thus named her as such.
    No sure, Skye seems to have chosen her own name after having erased herself from all records. At least it was implied at some point in the first episodes, IIRC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    As per the contract to have an action drama series exist on television, we hereby submit our obligatory male-bashing episode.
    I resented it the same way at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Well, not Incubus as in violent rapist. As in male creature using the Succubus MO in mind controlling women by seduction.
    Because that would raise an awful lot of furious rants about it being a misogynistic woman-bashing rape-endorsing thing.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    And now I do wonder why no one ever does an Incubus.

Well, not Incubus as in violent rapist. As in male creature using the Succubus MO in mind controlling women by seduction.
    Marvel DOES have at least three characters with that power set.

One is a hero.

Another HAS been insinuated as a rapist.

Spoiler
    Show
    And given that a character he degraded pretty severely will be featured in one of the upcoming Netflix series, there is some potential we'll see this guy.

The other... well he's kind of a monkey... almost literally.

The only other reason to avoid doing an Incubus might be the association to that awful black & white William Shatner film of the same name done entirely in Esperanto.
    Last edited by SeeDarkly_X; 2014-03-13 at 10:24 PM.

Fan of roleplaying, fantasy, and sci-fi? Read The Myth Prosaic by Georgia Z.
    The story revolves around a character who plays an RPG & how that experience becomes useful to him in a dystopian future.
    It's free online, presented as a web-serial, with updates 3 times weekly.
    The Myth Prosaic - Book I of The Mythic Chess Set by Georgia Z
    Follow on Twitter - Follow on Facebook

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    One big spoiler for everything.
    Actually how long after an episode should we use spoilers?
    A minimum of a week, I say, because of the recent change to not showing episodes online(including to those of us who have paid for the season via itunes) for a week after airing.

So, maybe like two weeks. That seems fairly reasonable to make sure everyone's caught up. After that, well...at a certain point if you haven't watched the show, you should avoid discussion about the show.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    A minimum of a week, I say, because of the recent change to not showing episodes online(including to those of us who have paid for the season via itunes) for a week after airing.

So, maybe like two weeks. That seems fairly reasonable to make sure everyone's caught up. After that, well...at a certain point if you haven't watched the show, you should avoid discussion about the show.
    Here in the UK we have been on break since early December and the show is only returning today. Kinda hard to have caught up when the last thing we were able to see in this country was Mike being blown up on a bridge :P (well, through legal means, at any rate...)

I understand that keeping spoilers for that long may seem a little unreasonable, however please bear in mind that not everyone can watch it at the same time as you!

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

There won't be an incubus. That's not how it works. Instead, our heroes encounter a patriarchal society where women are subjugated, sometimes having to wear veils, but otherwise subservient. The female hero member objects strongly, and the patriarchal society is morally condemned by the script. At the end of the episode or story arc the women are liberated.

Since Agents of Shield aren't explorers this scenario isn't likely to happen. However, they have a way with the Asgardian Realms, either an invasion or the team is "accidentally" sent to one. If it does happen it won't be this season if there is another one. Another option could be the society the Blue Alien is from, if it's not Kree or other established Marvel alien race.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SeeDarkly_X View Post
    Marvel DOES have at least three characters with that power set.

One is a hero.

Another HAS been insinuated as a rapist.

Spoiler
    Show
    And given that a character he degraded pretty severely will be featured in one of the upcoming Netflix series, there is some potential we'll see this guy.

The other... well he's kind of a monkey... almost literally.

The only other reason to avoid doing an Incubus might be the association to that awful black & white William Shatner film of the same name done entirely in Esperanto.
    One mustn't forget Empath. Though he is unlikely to appear in this canon as a mutant.
    Last edited by Xondoure; 2014-03-14 at 03:42 PM.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #102
    Firbolg in the Playground

Regarding May...

Spoiler
    Show
    I personally believe May was sort of requested recently to watch out after Coulson.

Why recently? 'cause Coulson obviously started to go off the grid and started resisting SHIELD's directive. May had frequent contacts with Agent Hand, and thus could have been told to keep the higher-ups informed of the cause of Coulson's growing insubordination.

Otherwise, a weaker episode than the later 2/3, but eh. Asgards are fun. I loved the fact that it was Odin who specifically ordered Sif to bring back the sorceress alive.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Regarding May...

Spoiler
    Show
    I personally believe May was sort of requested recently to watch out after Coulson.

Why recently? 'cause Coulson obviously started to go off the grid and started resisting SHIELD's directive. May had frequent contacts with Agent Hand, and thus could have been told to keep the higher-ups informed of the cause of Coulson's growing insubordination.
    Ah yes. May...
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think she was tasked to watch Coulson early on, probably by Fury or Hill. She was on something like report 93.

There was that early episode where the team went to Malta to try to recover that gravity scientist whose name I can't remember from Ian Quinn, and May just assumed Coulson was going to put her in the field, but was nonplussed when Coulson kept his promise to her and went himself instead. She even mumbled something about Coulson having died. She spent the episode figuratively climbing the walls with worry because she was stuck on the bus where she couldn't help. After that, she volunteered for field work. Contrast that to Ward and Fitz going into the field on their World's Most Dangerous Sandwich mission, but Coulson was safe at the Hub and so May was perfectly calm.

I think May was briefed early on.
    Last edited by TheOldCrow; 2014-03-14 at 05:20 PM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    I loved the fact that it was Odin who specifically ordered Sif to bring back the sorceress alive.
    Oh. Of course!
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

15. - Top - End - #105
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

There won't be an incubus. That's not how it works. Instead, our heroes encounter a patriarchal society where women are subjugated, sometimes having to wear veils, but otherwise subservient. The female hero member objects strongly, and the patriarchal society is morally condemned by the script. At the end of the episode or story arc the women are liberated.

Since Agents of Shield aren't explorers this scenario isn't likely to happen. However, they have a way with the Asgardian Realms, either an invasion or the team is "accidentally" sent to one. If it does happen it won't be this season if there is another one. Another option could be the society the Blue Alien is from, if it's not Kree or other established Marvel alien race.
    Been watching season one of Stargate, have we? I'm really glad they found their niche eventually and the show turned awesome, because I think Carter did this on three or four different planets.
    Now with half the calories!

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The New Bruceski View Post
    Been watching season one of Stargate, have we? I'm really glad they found their niche eventually and the show turned awesome, because I think Carter did this on three or four different planets.
    Kaching! But see also The Ferengi.

The reverse is a matriarchal society with the men subjugated and often killed after mating with no condemnations from our heroes or script other than having to rescue a male cast member. The society's men are not liberated. Off the top of my head there's The Wickerman remake, a Voyager episode to rescue Harry, "Angel One" from the Next Generation, and the Star Wars book Courtship of Princess Leia. Oh, there's also Futurama and snoos-snoos. At least the men aren't killed in "Angel One", but that is the exception that proves the rule.

It even goes far back as "Abbot And Costello Go To Mars". Technically even farther than that via the legends of the Amazons of ancient Greece. I'm not really objecting to the concept existing only the double-standard that male-bashing is ok any time all the time but female-bashing is to be condemned always. It's the same thing as I mentioned in another thread about how female characters always defeat male characters in any gender-based contest for scripted television shows.

It's been a while, but I think there was an exception with Gene Roddenberry's "Planet Earth" starring John Saxon as Dylan Hunt (where the name came from for "Andromeda") who did succeed in freeing the men. It was a pilot movie for a tv series that never happened so who knows how stories would have developed.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

The reverse ...... would have developed.
    Totally agree. As i said before. Make a gender-reversed version of this last episode of MAoSHIELD, with a male character having a power of enthralling women and a male character explicitly stating that it work because of a specific weakness of character of women, and another men agreeing as if it is obvious, and see what would be the reactions.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

18. - Top - End - #108

It's been a while, but I think there was an exception with Gene Roddenberry's "Planet Earth" starring John Saxon as Dylan Hunt (where the name came from for "Andromeda") who did succeed in freeing the men. It was a pilot movie for a tv series that never happened so who knows how stories would have developed.
    Leave it to good ole "Miniskirt uniforms for the girls" Roddenberry to give us an example of the reverse of "lets liberate the women" plot

Gene's politics aside, I hope that if Shield does do this plot line, it shows how this can backfire. Like, they liberate the women, and then it turns out all the women are like Drow Matriarches. Devour the man whooole!

19. - Top - End - #109

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    Totally agree. As i said before. Make a gender-reversed version of this last episode of MAoSHIELD, with a male character having a power of enthralling women and a male character explicitly stating that it work because of a specific weakness of character of women, and another men agreeing as if it is obvious, and see what would be the reactions.
    The PC police are incapable of hypocrisy. To say other wise is treason.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

While bashing any form of identity is not good; there is a world of difference between attacking those in a position of priviledge and attacking those who are not. While one is antagonistic; the other is subjugative. Now I didn't particularly enjoy the men are weak jokes. But had it been the opposite it would have been objectively worse.
    Last edited by Xondoure; 2014-03-15 at 02:44 AM.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

What I would like to see is a Succubi and Incubi traveling together, and warping EVERYONE equally.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

I didn't think it was particularly bad with respect to identity bashing, or what have you. Certainly better than the Stargate episode with Hathor. In part because the men in her thrall didn't act like mindless slaves, Coulson was still a main protagonist throughout, all the jibing was pretty gentle, and this sort of stuff happens in comics all the goddamned time.

More to the point, the theme of the episode wasn't that Men suck and Women are just inherently more capable for whatever reason. It was more about questioning loyalties and at what point is one justified in breaking their oaths, it just happened to have a comic book character with enchantment magic as her shtick to serve an antagonist and to push the melodrama along.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    One mustn't forget Empath. Though he is unlikely to appear in this canon as a mutant.
    Nope... one might as well forget him, because of just that.
    (To be fair, if this was even a thing worth pursuing, there is nothing to prevent them from inventing a new character that fits the power set and story they want... ala Scorch the not-mutant.)

Just reviewed the upcoming programing:
    Next Week: MCU Primer
    After that: Off until APRIL!?
    First Week: New SHIELD
    followed by Captain America opening weekend.
    (Lots of tie-ins expected, and there are reportedly some tremendous spoilers for the film in the recent release of "Winter Solder" HeroClix packs. I don't know what they are, just giving a heads up to anyone who collects those and wants to avoid ruining the surprises.)
    After the movie there are only 6 episodes left for the season.

I'm inclined to avoid the forums and possibly the majority of the internet for a couple of weeks because I can't be sure I'll see Cap opening weekend with my wife... and I'll also have to wait for the followup episodes of MAoS until we do, so I'm going to fall a little behind.

Not really looking forward to the need to actively avoid news and spoilers just because I'm not a first-weekend film-goer.

Fan of roleplaying, fantasy, and sci-fi? Read The Myth Prosaic by Georgia Z.
    The story revolves around a character who plays an RPG & how that experience becomes useful to him in a dystopian future.
    It's free online, presented as a web-serial, with updates 3 times weekly.
    The Myth Prosaic - Book I of The Mythic Chess Set by Georgia Z
    Follow on Twitter - Follow on Facebook

24. - Top - End - #114

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by SeeDarkly_X View Post
    Just reviewed the upcoming programing:
    Next Week: MCU Primer
    After that: Off until APRIL!?
    Is it just me who fears that these delays will completely kill the show?
    Boats are like nuts, the outside is hard but the inside is usually good to eat.

And remember, things can always get worse.

25. - Top - End - #115

Is it just me who fears that these delays will completely kill the show?

No. Investment was too big. It will die after (lackluster) season 2.

Random thought on episode: for all (alleged) tactical acumen and experience they didn't figured out that sending Ward (alone) to stop Lorelay it could end only one way? Now there should be hero' equivalent of this evil overlord list' point:

"One of my advisors will be an average five-year-old child. Any flaws in my plan that he is able to spot will be corrected before implementation."

Lackluster. May and Ward storyline was dry and flat.

26. - Top - End - #116

Quote Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
    No. Investment was too big. It will die after (lackluster) season 2.

Random thought on episode: for all (alleged) tactical acumen and experience they didn't figured out that sending Ward (alone) to stop Lorelay it could end only one way? Now there should be hero' equivalent of this evil overlord list' point:

"One of my advisors will be an average five-year-old child. Any flaws in my plan that he is able to spot will be corrected before implementation."

Lackluster. May and Ward storyline was dry and flat.
    They thought he could resist Lorelei. It's not their fault he couldn't muster up the brass to do it.

A part of me feels like it was supposed to be, if you see it that way. I don't see it that way, mind you.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    They thought he could resist Lorelei. It's not their fault he couldn't muster up the brass to do it.
    But they were explicitly told that it was impossible to resist. Besides they could have sent May who they knew was immune to Lorelei's power.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

They should have covered the area in knockout gas to take out her followers and then shot her from helicopters when she tried to escape, not with night night guns that may not work against her, with actual guns, if you're lucky a headshot with a anti tank rifle might knock her out. No matter how good you are if you're a human without powers you don't go against even the physically weakest asgardian in anything resembling a fair fight
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thorgrim29 View Post
    They should have covered the area in knockout gas to take out her followers and then shot her from helicopters when she tried to escape, not with night night guns that may not work against her, with actual guns, if you're lucky a headshot with a anti tank rifle might knock her out. No matter how good you are if you're a human without powers you don't go against even the physically weakest asgardian in anything resembling a fair fight
    For the record, why did Sif took cover when the puny humans shot at her?

Aren't Asgardians basically immune to gunshots?

30. - Top - End - #120
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yeah, I wondered that too. At the beginning of Avengers, when Loki appears in the base, you can see bullets bouncing off of him.
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon D20: A system designed for adventuring in a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon world.

The Review/Analysis Thread: In-depth reviews of various games and RPG products.

The New/Redone Monsters Thread: Taking bad or bland monsters and making them more interesting and challenging.

Yu-Gi-Oh!: Realms of Myth: In the world of monsters, Winda and Wynn go on an "epic" journey to find the legendary Dark Magician.

Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Madoka and Kingdom Hearts.