New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Boop and Boop!

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Boop and Boop!

So what do you think "boop" sounds like?

Some people have said that Parson says the word "boop". Others say it is a beeping sound, similar to censors to cover swearing on TV.

Considering that Wanda said "You'll only say that word again", and not "You'll only make that sound again".... I think it might be the actual word he is saying.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Boop and Boop!

It's the actual word, but it is still a censor. It's just an internal censor. Because it is a game world, the filters actually change what you are saying. When you use a curse word on these forums, for example, it changes the word into a series of asterisks. If you had no experience of the outside world and only knew of language through this medium, you would assume that a series of asterisks was an actual profanity, as opposed to a modification of another word. In Erfworld, boop is the only curse word. It is a curse word, not a covering of a curse word, for all intensive purposes of the characters in the game. Only Parson, and us the audience, know the difference.
    Last edited by Mauril Everleaf; 2007-02-01 at 04:46 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think it is the spoken onomotopaea (I always forget how to spell that) of the sound the censor machine makes. I think he is literally saying boop, but that is why he is saying that word specifically.
    "River" cancels eat: Food is problematic.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

I agree. I'd imagine that if it was an overlayed sound effect, it would be visually represented as different or separate from his voice font.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGirl

I like the mental picture of him literally saying boop, so that's what I think he's saying.
    Member of the fanclub.