New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Lets Watch: RWBY

I thought the moons phases were different stages of it blowing up?
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Weiss is cocky and in her mind, if there's any kind of gymnastics she can do to make it someone else's fault, she will do them cause that's the logical course.

And Ruby's two years younger then everyone, in a new environment and feeling self continuous, it makes perfect sense she'd internalize stuff that made her feel bad, particularly in the form of treating it like's it's at least partially her fault.

Also, no, Yang towering over both Wiess and Ruby isn't an animation mistake, it's a design. She's quite a bit taller and bigger in general then both of them, and then several other characters in the show. Keeping in mind that Wiess and Ruby are about the smallest characters in the show with one other arguable exception whom you've not met just yet.

And the deadpan of "Oh My God, You Really Exploded!" was hilarious! That is STILL one of my favorite lines! Seriously, I've been trying to name a main RWBY thread after that line for since we were getting ready to go from thread 1 to thread 2. And were on thread 3!

Ya know, your making a lot of, interesting theory's, around episode 8 or so I've got a theory your gonna make another theory, I'll tell you if I was right and you made the theory I think you'll make. =)
    "I Burn!"

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

At the end of Yellow trailer, it shows two moons, one whole and one half-broken or something.

I'd be more annoyed at their naming conventions than any incorrect astrology.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

4. - Top - End - #214
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    At the end of Yellow trailer, it shows two moons, one whole and one half-broken or something.

Lets be fair, I am.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

I'm curious to see if the reviews turn a corner. Because while I didn't hate the series, by this point I wasn't terribly impressed. (Mainly watching along because hey, it's not a significant time investment.)
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    I thought the moons phases were different stages of it blowing up?
    That's what I thought too. Some sort of time loop.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #217
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    How can you save someone a spot in an area where you're standing? Like...there isn't a spot to SAVE, you're all just sort of milling about.
    You can ensure that there is sufficient room for someone else to stand comfortably near you.

Jaune immediately says something that makes me kind of hate him. Maybe I'm reading too much into things, but his being upset about Ruby running off seems...kind of jerkish, to me. "Oh no, wherever will I find a nice quirky girl to be my manic pixie dream girl stereotype!" and all that jazz.
    I might not have seen the same subtexts, but I saw this as more of finding a nice person who will put up with him to hang out with.

Weiss rattling off the whole "Schnee coorperation liability clause" thing genuinely makes me want to hurt someone. This is awful.
    Pretty sure this is the emotion they were going for.

Ruby you're already at the school if you don't have school supplies you've done something wrong.
    She was suddenly launched into a school she was unprepared for, cut her a little slack.

I actually do like how Weiss is making fun of Ruby with the "oh yes lets do our nails and wear cloths and talk about cute boys" and stuff. It's acted...decently well, and it's usually not in the realm of the snotty rich kid to be so sarcastic. Also, possibly hidden layers by mentioning she finds Jaune hot? It's a thing.
    No comment.

The moon isn't broken anymore. Consistency!
    That's just how the moon works here.

Hey you know how Ruby said last episode she hopes they have rooms for them? Naw, lets put all the students in the lobby in sleeping beds. And co-ed too. Because that won't cause problems considering it's a room of like thirty 17 year olds. I know this was because they need to do their sorting or whatever, and it's likely Monty Oum just didn't have time to finish the rooms, but this is still a pretty dumb thing.
    It's for one night, and I'm sure there would be staff present.

Once again Yang seems to confirm everything I'm saying. I mean yes, I know she means it's a 100% increase for friends she has AT THE SCHOOL, but like...she doesn't count herself? Jeez Yang's kind of subtly mean in the worst ways possible.
    Family doesn't count.

Yang you have issues. Enemies would count as negative friends, yeah. I mean unless it's one of those "I love hating you, so you're my best friend who is an enemy" type of deals. And that's clearly not the case with Weiss.
    Having one enemy doesn't mean you have one less friend...

(Insert: Failing at maths.)
    I wouldn't say that RWBY fails at maths so much as Ruby and/or Yang fail at maths. There's a difference between the creators making a mistake and the characters.

Yang's delivery of that pyjama line is pretty bad. It feels like she was trying to do a pun...but it just didn't work at all.
    I think she just didn't know how to finish the sentence. "I like your ...(wait, what are those things?)... pyjamas!"

SUBTEXT. FORESHADOWING. SUBTLE. The book is in no way important to the plot in any way what so ever. Ozpin definitely isn't Clockwork Rufus's extra body. No sirree bob.
    It's The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde.

And now we have motivation for Ruby. She...wants to be a huntress. Okay. I'll bite, though I'm just asking "Why" now. Other then "I want to be a hero person!". Because I'd like a little more nuance in my main character, please.
    Early days yet.

And Weiss is all "stop having wacky anime hijinks I'm trying to sleeeeeep" even though she doesn't look or sound even the slightest bit sleepy.
    To be fair, most people wouldn't when they've gotten upset.

---

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    The only answer we have so far is this song.
    WARNING: Don't listen to this song until after Players and Pieces, where it plays in the episode.

However, once it has played in the episode, I then recommend you listen to the full (album) version including a second singer.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

8. - Top - End - #218

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    You can ensure that there is sufficient room for someone else to stand comfortably near you.

It's The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde.

Early days yet.

WARNING: Don't listen to this song until after Players and Pieces, where it plays in the episode.

However, once it has played in the episode, I then recommend you listen to the full (album) version including a second singer.
    Good point.

That's an odd way to phrase it, but okay, I'll give you that, especially since it IS intentional. Still calling it as I see it, I think Ozpin is evil.

One Piece established SUPER early on what all Luffy's motivation is. Maybe I'm being biased by citing such a well formed series, but I just like my heroes to have clear motivation. Past is prologue, people

Regarding the song, noted!

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, it took 5 minor arcs (or a major story arc) to have the basic cast settled down in One Piece. As much as I like it, comparing it to RWBY is quite unfair. Besides, it's not only Luffy's motivation (he keeps repeating it) but a lot of the pirates are trying to get to the One Piece. And compare RWBY's low-budget 16-episode-2-hours-in-total story, One Piece's already far ahead by... Episode 5, which is roughly the start of the second arc, if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah, it isn't that far behind. It just comes in doses so small that so little happens and yet it is really good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    The Joker is supposed to be a nightmarish figure, the culmination of all things despicable and horrible about mankind. Of course he's a hipster.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

One Piece established SUPER early on what all Luffy's motivation is. Maybe I'm being biased by citing such a well formed series, but I just like my heroes to have clear motivation. Past is prologue, people
    One Piece didn't fully establish Luffy's character until we got to the arc with the flashback about Ace and the other kid.

Also, Zoro.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

11. - Top - End - #221

Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    Actually, it took 5 minor arcs (or a major story arc) to have the basic cast settled down in One Piece. As much as I like it, comparing it to RWBY is quite unfair. Besides, it's not only Luffy's motivation (he keeps repeating it) but a lot of the pirates are trying to get to the One Piece. And compare RWBY's low-budget 16-episode-2-hours-in-total story, One Piece's already far ahead by... Episode 5, which is roughly the start of the second arc, if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah, it isn't that far behind. It just comes in doses so small that so little happens and yet it is really good.
    One Piece didn't fully establish Luffy's character until we got to the arc with the flashback about Ace and the other kid.

Also, Zoro.
    I meant back with Shanks at the very start of the series guys

Anyway, I do know I've been a bit harsh, demanding they develop the character the way I'd like them to. So I do apologize for that. So yes, promise I'll stop hitting on that point so often. It's just another example of why I really do wish this series was a full 30 minutes per episode.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2014-03-14 at 10:02 PM.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

We'd all love if it was 30-minute too, Zodiac.

I'm pretty sure we all would.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    The Joker is supposed to be a nightmarish figure, the culmination of all things despicable and horrible about mankind. Of course he's a hipster.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ettin in the Playground

*twitch* Astronomy.

Also, seconding whoever said that the moon probably isn't tidally locked at all.

Plus, I find debating the astronomy of the series far more interesting to discuss than the characters names. The names can be as wrong as they like, for all I care.
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2014-03-14 at 10:48 PM.
    A few odds and ends.

14. - Top - End - #224

Hey, here's a question for you all, based on a conversation I'm having with a friend about the series. Would you classify RWBY as an actual serious series? Like, do you think Oum intends the series to actually be dramatic and have tension.

Cause a friend of mine is convinced the entire thing is done badly intentionally, to be a massive parody of anime.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Barbarian in the Playground

The moon isn't broken anymore. Consistency!
    RWBY's moon is half broken, half normal and is tidally locked to the sun so, unlike our moon, it shows all its sides to their planet. Sometimes it will look normal, sometimes it will look half broken.
    I think according to word of God, that the moon just automagically breaks apart and pulls back together over time. For whatever reason.
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon D20: A system designed for adventuring in a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon world.

The Review/Analysis Thread: In-depth reviews of various games and RPG products.

The New/Redone Monsters Thread: Taking bad or bland monsters and making them more interesting and challenging.

Yu-Gi-Oh!: Realms of Myth: In the world of monsters, Winda and Wynn go on an "epic" journey to find the legendary Dark Magician.

Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Madoka and Kingdom Hearts.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

Nah it's definitely a tribute more than a parody.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

By and large I think it's intended to be taken seriously, but it's also intended to have levity. He want's to be more like Fairy Tail, which has lot's of light hearted stuff and runs on Charisma and adds darkness only when needed and only in absolute necessary doses, and less like Attack on Titan, which is all about ultra graphic hopeless grimdarkness where nothing you do or try to do is, ever would have or ever will matter in any way that means even the tiniest little thing imaginable and is 99.99999999% certain to end with "Everyone suffered horribly for a protracted period and died in absolute defeat and the most gut-wrenching/horrifying manner I can manage to work out to subject them too." and if it doesn't end with that has been pretty heavily written into a corner to the point that the only other possible out come is "Up! Pulled a Deus Ex Machina so massive and contrived out of my back side that it makes the endings of Season 3 of Last Airbender AND Seasons 1 and 2 of Legend of Korra Look like predictable, obvious and perfectly logical and grounded in universe lore and standards endings, COMBINED!" (Why know, I don't think highly of Attack on Titan, why do you ask?)

And yeah, One Piece went over 200 episodes before we even had the full crew. Comparing One Piece at episode 4-5 hundred to RWBY at Episode 3 is in no way fair. Hell, Comparing One Piece at episode 16 to RWBY at episode 16 wouldn't really be fair. Comparing One Piece at episode 4 to RWBY at episode 16 would be roughly fair.

Yes, the short eps are harsh like that. And yes, We wish they had the money and man power to do 20-30 minute episodes. We do.
    "I Burn!"

18. - Top - End - #228

I disagree with you about Attack on Titan, I think it's quite great

But yeah, noted. I'll try and be kinder to RWBY, taking it for the time it gives instead of comparing it to what it isn't. I still do feel a need to point out some things, because some plot issues...there isn't really an excuse, 12 minute run time or not.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, technically, on it's own merit, it does have some issues. I personally feel like most of them are Pacing related and that's part of why it get's better as it runs for more eps, cause running for more eps meant it had more run time in total, which meant more time got spent correcting the issues, but I'd be willing to hear a disagreement on that, particularly if after episode 16 you feel it's not at all improved on any of them.

That said, you should know I waiting with Baited Breath for you to make it to episode 8, which is when I REALLY felt the show started coming into it's own and got to REALLY run with doing all the stuff it does well.

Also, the problem with Attack on Titan is it's trying way to hard to be super dark and edgy and graphic for no reason other then to be super dark and edgy and graphic. Take that away and the fact that the author actively goes out of his way to Make the Titans impossible to beat in any meaningful way even when it's just one or two and that he always make sure they vastly out number the protagonists, and it's just a slightly more stylized Zombie show. Nothing more. And I'm oh, so, very sick of things that are dark and graphic and edgy just to do it and on Zombies. I mean, if the fights usually broke down to about even, that would have tended to grab my interests, but here, all I see is let's treat the characters like crap, run them through hell and kill them horribly and do it again with whom ever we've decided to make sit through the next round of Ultimatum Countdown to Final Crisis Cry for Justice Sins Past Identity Crisis One More Day Avenger Arena hell.

But, I'll add that that's just my opinion and that I'm gonna stop there so as not to risk derailing the thread and just remind that again, attack on titan is not the target for comparison, that right now from what we've seen, he's targeting things more like Soul Eater, Shamen King, Naruto before it lost it's mind and Fairy Tail. He's also not trying to be Full Metal Alchemist Either, which, while also Darker then RWBY, got really heavy into parallels in real world history, some not so soft science fiction elements, and lots of philosophy and morality examination and meditations.
    "I Burn!"

20. - Top - End - #230

Lets not talk about the FMA anime, unless it's Brotherhood, because the anime REALLY lost the plot after awhile due to overtaking the manga.

But yeah, lets judge RWBY by what it's inspired by. I'll note that so far, my issues aside, it's more enjoyable then Naruto is at the moment! Small praise though that may be, it IS praise.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm just curious: having read your reviews thus far I was wondering what you would change about RWBY? It is early days, and many of the things you highlight as issues will likely get revolved as the series progresses but if you had free reign over RWBY what would be different about the first three episodes?

22. - Top - End - #232

Okay, lets go!

Episode 1, Ruby Rose:
    Spoiler
    Show
    After the introduction by presumably Cinder, instead of it being over, and leading into Clockwork Rufus and his droogs robbing a store, it leads to a village. We see some npcs (not shadows!) doing standard npc stuff, hanging out, working, stuff like that. Through out it all, be sure to show us Uncle Crowe, and maybe give us hints of what Ruby's parents look like as well, though focus more on baby Ruby and young Yang (who's name is not Yang but I can't be arsed to figure out a name for her yet, truth be told). Then cut to outside the city, where a humongous horde of Grimm are amassing.

Then the Grimm attack the village, and it's a slaughter. We get an idea of how monstrous and terrible these creatures are, why this world NEEDS Hunters and Huntress's. Show that lady from the opening with the white cloak (probably Ruby's mom truth be told) saving Crow as he takes Ruby and Yang away from the village as it's being ruinated, maybe have Crowe take a shot to the shoulder or something so he can go from "super awesome hunter" to "crippled hunter who will pass on his skills". Be sure to show off some hunters that might appear in the future, like a younger Glinda, fighting off the horde in the meanwhile.

After that's done, cut to 14 years later. Make it a transition so we see the village go from a burning husk with fighting going on, to a dead field of ash and sadness, with lines of graves set out. Have Ruby, 15, putting some roses at a grave or two (implied to be her parents). IMPORTANT: Never have her take her hood off until I specifically say as such.

After this she runs back to her new village, which is where the school of Signal is. We should see her interacting with some of her friends, getting an idea of how awkward she is, but now with the understanding that it's because her entire life was kind of taken from her. Show that some of her wacky cliche anime-ness is an act to try and be happy, since Huntress's have to be a shining beacon of goodness in the world.

Detail the creation of Crimson Rose. Maybe have the above interactions with her friends be slightly focused around weapons, so it can lead into it. Maybe it's something like "Ruby hasn't made her weapon yet, because she's nervous" and such. Have Crowe teach her personally how to make her weapon, giving us some deep thoughts on how weapons are part of you and what not, and include a line about how they've been over stuff like this before. Have it shown that due to how Ruby's had to grown up (without parents, with a somewhat revenge crazed crippled uncle) she's a little messed up. It's part her just not knowing how to be social, part "Crowe raised her to think of weapons as people".

As Ruby's working on her weapon, have her have an imagination spot where we basically see the Red trailer. This is what Ruby aspires to be. It's important. Don't show us her weapon yet. Make us think it's going to be the Crescent Rose scythe. Then, cut to a sort of weapons testing in Signal, where she takes out her weapon in it's folded up portability mode. When the test dummy is lowered, have her unfurl the weapon, and instead of a scythe it's an axe (this is to help with the Red Riding Hood imagery. It also symbolizes how inside she wants to brutally get back at the Grimm, since axes are weapons commonly associated with some really brutal stuff).

Now, about the axe. First of all, if you want it to still be part gun, that's okay, I'm fine with that. But she doesn't use the gun recoil to increase her swinging power and such. Instead the axe has little booster jets on the sides of the blade that use dust. This allows for a slightly more believable style of fighting, and if you want the trails from the boosters can give it a scythe like apperance when she's swinging it with super heavy intention to kill.

Anyway, point is, she completely devastates the testing dummies with her jet axe.

Then we cut a bit later. Since Ruby has passed that test, she's allowed to freely travel to other cities and stuff without much hassle. Hunters and Huntress's have that capability, after all, it's important for them to get where they need to go to. Have her going to the city where the first episode in real life starts, especially have her over hear about Clockwork Rufus and his Droogs (obviously, Roman has a different design, but I'll save that for later). Also, we still haven't seen Ruby without her hood yet. This is important.

Then show us a short, but sweet, montage of Ruby intentionally going to Dust stores, waiting for the droogs to show up. She knows about Signal (have some conversations with her friends earlier on note that this type of thing isn't unprecedented, that Beacon sometimes cherry picks talented individuals for advancement.).

Then, as the episode is nearing it's conclusion, have the first episode happen. Except, when the droog asks Ruby what she's doing in the store, have her turn around (as her hood is pulled down by the droog) and when she says "are you robbing me?" make it VERY clear she's being sarcastic/actually happy this is happening. I'm trying not to overstate "the voice acting should be good" but this specific line has to be said very well.

Then cut to Clockwork Rufus getting his dust, when the droog flies past him threw a window, and Ruby appears, hood back up, axe over her shoulder. She's ready to kick some ass. And then the episode ends.

Obviously this would be 30 minutes. Maybe longer as a "hour long season premier" type of thing so we can fit all the stuff in. This is how I'd do episode 1

Episode 2, Shining Beacon:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This one starts with the droogs running out of the store, Clockwork Rufus more like briskly stepping out after them (he thinks he can take her, but not indoors). Ruby jumps out a window after them, and is like "stop running! I need ta beat you up!" and she instigates the combat, beating up droogs who are trying to fight back. It's clear the grunts don't have much going for them, just using swords and the occasional gun. When she gets to fighting Clockwork Rufus, have it be different. He's not going to chicken out by exploding some dust, he's gonna actually fight. Have him effortlessly block a normal axe swing with his cane, but when Ruby jumps back from it, have her go like "Okay, time to get serious" and have Clockwork Rufus have an expression like "****, she's not being serious? That's a bit of an issue". But then when the axe engines start turning on, have him smirk, as if he's thinking "oh, okay, maybe this won't be too bad"

They fight a bit more, the jet engines of the axe allowing Ruby to get a few good hits in, but not enough to take him down. Also, important: Roman never uses any dust or anything special, he's just bonking her with his cane. He's doing some damage, and taking some hits, so it's clear he's not PLAYING with her like he's super strong, he's just delaying, maybe even testing her. As if he's waiting for...

The jet plane! Which then appears, and the shadowfire lady shows up, and Rufus jumps to the plane, and he tells her "*name here*, deal with this huntress".

And then Ruby jumps at them, confident she's going to like, axe the plane in too. And then the shadow fire lady completely destroys her. Slams her into the building roof with a spell, and does so VERY easily. Make it known that if this lady is able to so effortlessly take Ruby down, it's clear now that Roman WAS playing with her, just a bit, but that Ruby clearly has a high level of talent since she WAS able to get some hits in. Then have Glinda show up, and she magically duals with the shadow fire lady a bit, before they escape. Maybe have Glinda mention that wow, even she had some trouble with this.

Then have Ruby, hood down, use her axe to try and pry herself up from the small crater her defeated body left, showing she still wants to fight, before she passes out. We wake up in the interrogation room. Ozpin is there, and we can have the touch of him giving Ruby cookies and milk if you want, but don't have Ruby eat em all fast and anime and stuff. She's hurting, pretty bad. Have Ozpin introduce himself as the headmaster of Beacon, and let Ruby get a hopeful "oh my god I did it!" expression while she has a cookie in her mouth. Have Ozpin then say that she won't be let in by this little stunt.

Glinda will then come in, and Ruby will be like "hey, you're the lady that fought that shadow lady" and Glinda will say "yes. And Ozpin is right, you're not getting into Beacon because of that little stunt, you're getting into Beacon based of this" and she points at the axe, and then shows us some security footage (ie, not just recordings of the show) of her fighting. Have Ozpin mention she's shown she has a lot of potential, and he wants to be able to personally train her at Beacon like he would other students.

Then we cut to the day of them arriving at Beacon, them going on the jetplane and stuff. We see every character that we will get to know in the future milling about, walking around, but we focus on Ruby, who seems alone and all bandaged up. Then Yang shows up and is like "Sister!" and hugs her, and it's clear she's kind of a dumb because Ruby is all "ow, ow, I'mkind of messed up her sis" and Yang's all "oops, sorry". Then have some nice bonding, learning that Yang had just graduated from Signal to be sent to Beacon, so it's pretty good that Ruby got this done when she did. And then Ruby mentions it was still a week before graduation that she fought them and it's revealed Ruby was out for like a week from her wounds. This is important for later. But don't end on that, make sure Yang cheers Ruby up.

Anyway, the loudspeaker turns on, and the hologram of Ozpin shows up and he gives us the speech we found here, as well as the speech he gives in real world episode 3. Try and make him sound a bit less like an evil villain. Make sure he actually introduces himself, since the OTHER students don't know who he is, only Ruby does (unless they read about his exploits and stuff). As his speech ends, have him say "welcome to Beacon" and then have Ruby look to the exit of the plane, see it open, and see the wonderful majesty that is Beacon and be like "...what a view..."

That's episode 2. The episode title is shining beacon in order to benefit from the reveal at the end of the episode, and to symbolize Yang cheering Ruby up.

Episode 3, White and Black:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This one opens with Ruby and Yang walking towards Beacon, having some more nice bonding stuff. Maybe have Yang talking about her weapon, which is super totally cool. But also super totally hot. In this reimagining of the series, Yang's weapons are two gauntlets that can be set to either Hot, Cold, or Normal (or as Yang notes, her favorite setting, which she calls Just Right). This symbolizes her Goldilocks imagery more, and allows her to have three slightly varied fighting styles, one that utilizes freezing cold punches, blazing hot fists, and neutral explosion punches.

Anyway, like before, Yang ditches Ruby so as to make Ruby have to throw herself out there. But this time have Yang's friend noticibily be characters we will know in the future, like the roman/greek armour girl. Then have Ruby, nervous, kinda fuddle around trying to talk to people (make some of them be people we'll get to know, or some side characters, but none of them shadow people). Have it be a funny little montage of "oh Ruby, stop talking to that man's mace" and what not.

Exasperated, Ruby sighs and begins walking forward without really paying attention. She runs into the back of the carriage cart Weiss is having her servants pull around, and it causes a lot of dust to be thrown up and stuff. Have Weiss start freakin' out at Ruby, but Ruby starts fading as if she's falling asleep. With a sneeze, she collapses, and starts snoring lightly. Weiss sighs, sniffs the air, and goes "Great, she managed to mix up a sleep spell with her idiocy...fine." She then picks up Ruby, puts her in her carriage cart, and has her servants lug her bags while pulling the cart herself. This will help us get to known Weiss better. She was initially angry, but only because all her stuff got messed up. Maybe have her notice that her dust was packed incorrectly, so that she knows it's not entirely Ruby's fault. Additionally, it's a sleep spell because she's Snow White, it's for symbolism.

We don't get into it in the episode, but Weiss's sword has seven slots on it, one for each type of dust (I am arbitrarily deciding there are only seven types of dust). Her sword can get special abilities based on what combinations of Dust she uses. Obviously, the number 7 is meant to symbolize the seven dwarves (it's cheap, but it works) and most of her spells should be status effects. Weiss has the personality of a queen, but she's more of a bishop, assisting with her tricky manouvers rather then taking center stage.

Also, have Blake watching this, and have her crack a smile about it. Maybe mention "So I guess the ice queen isn't as cold as I thought" or something. Make it known Blake clearly has something against Weiss. Also make her mention something like "Though...red hood seems an interesting factor.."

It's important for Blake to be the character who, before knowing their names, refers to people by the fairy tail element they're based on. This is kind of arbitrary, but I feel it works for her since she's a mysterious bookish ninja type.

Anyway, Ruby wakes up and is like "ooow...my everything hurts" cause she sort of ran into a steel carriage thing and is still smarting from her wounds and the dust kind of hurt her, sleep spell or not. Weiss isn't there (she's busy sorting away her bags somewhere else) but Blake is, reading. Blake mentions that they're inside the lounge of the female dorm because oh my god don't have co-ed stuff with 17 year olds. Look at real life Yang's reaction to this. Anyway, Blake mentions Weiss's name and tells Ruby a bit about her and her family's company. It should give us some idea of how dust is used, but it should also be a telling of how the company is from someone who has reasons to dislike it.

When that short bit is done, have Ruby ask what Dust is. Blake says "...how do you not know what Dust is when your axe uses it?". This is important since it will have Ruby, who's not THE smartest, be like "oh, right. Sorry, got a little concussed." and have Ruby give a short retelling of what HER story is, how she got here. Have Blake actually interested in the story, because it's...you know, interesting. Also, like in the original episode, have Blake ask her why she wants to be a huntress, and have Ruby give that speech about how Huntress's have to be super awesome and the best heroes ever.

Then have Blake ask why she thinks that. Ruby should be surprised, because at least on the outside, she's never actually thought of why. Have her think for a bit, then give a little sad, put up her hood, and mention "Do you remember the *Ruby's town name* Event?" and have Blake be like "Yeah, hundreds of Hunters died saving just a few of about a thousand people."

Then have Ruby said "I was there. That's why I think Hunters, Huntresses, they have to be strong and noble." Have there be a bit of an awkward silence, Blake clearly smiling a bit behind her book, which she's still reading. Ruby breaks the silence by apologizing, saying she has to go find Weiss to apologize. It hangs on Blake a bit, who's still smiling, and then says something somewhat ominous like "I see. Our red hood is actually a red queen" or something.

Anyway, that's episode 3. The title is meant to symbolize Weiss and Blake, obviously, but it's also meant to be about the idea of Ruby's seeing the world as white and black. Hunters are white, pure good and great, while the Grimm are black, monstrous beings. This all has importance later.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Troll in the Playground

You should really watch the trailers. There's a reason Yang isn't switching elemental attacks all the time.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #234

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    You should really watch the trailers. There's a reason Yang isn't switching elemental attacks all the time.
    I watched the trailers I don't care. I'm rewriting the series. I know what she can do in series, but since I'm rewriting the series I am doing things my way. That's kind of the point.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

You've brought up episode 1's rewrite to me before, and the problem seems to continue to 2 and 3 so I'll say it again: This is an action series and Monty is best at action scenes. In three episodes, you put in TWO action scenes. Maybe 4, if you count Ruby's three different opponents as 3 different scenes. Yes, I know characterization is important, but this is an hour and a half to two hours of it, you can put in more than one fight. Maybe when they're training with their friends?

To compare it to Avatar, by the end of the first 30 minutes you know about bending, the 100 year war, the Avatar, the nations, the extinct airbenders and all of that. And this is pretty much the last episode in the season (i think the series, but there might be one or two) without a fight/action scene. You start off episode 2 with an immediate fight scene... and then nothing. Sorry Lala, but this still feels wrong.

Personally, I would put the fight with the droogs at the end of the first episode and have Yang do some training fights earlier in the episode. The reason is threefold: First, Yang's not fighting Roman and his goons, so she needs something to show off her strength before getting into the Grimm forest later on (we don't really need to see Ruby training since she's beating up goons herself later). Second, this gives Ruby the opportunity to show off how badass she is at the end of episode one, as she smirks at the camera and delivers a one-liner right after the screen turns black. And then 'this will be the day' plays. Third, it breaks up the actions scenes between two episodes and makes it feel... smoother, i think is the word? More organic, maybe?... i suck at communicating

Also, I LIKE the scythe. If we REALLY have to do the symbolism, I would give her a minichainaxe as a back-up weapon. Because chainaxe.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2014-03-15 at 10:39 AM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

26. - Top - End - #236

Well in this theoretical version, I'm making it, not Monty Oum. So I'd actually have animators animating it so that it looks good no matter what. Additionally, I'd have people like you to help me mold my base ideas into something even better! For instance, yes, showing Yang doing some fighting would be good, because having more action IS good, but we can't have action for action's sake. I think the issue is that in my head, I prefer things with a slow start, that builds up to things.

Also, the scythe imagery can from from the jet engines on her axe when swinging it at full force.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

Well in this theoretical version, I'm making it, not Monty Oum. So I'd actually have animators animating it so that it looks good no matter what. Additionally, I'd have people like you to help me mold my base ideas into something even better! For instance, yes, showing Yang doing some fighting would be good, because having more action IS good, but we can't have action for action's sake. I think the issue is that in my head, I prefer things with a slow start, that builds up to things.

Also, the scythe imagery can from from the jet engines on her axe when swinging it at full force.
    Where exactly would you get professional animators? Does Canada have a secret base full of anime artists that I'm not aware of? ...And how would you pay them?

Yes, I'm aware we can't have action just for action's sake - there can only be one Avatar and all. That's why I've only suggested breaking up one of the fight scenes between episodes and adding one for Yang earlier on. This is largely because I can't think of a way to put action into Black and White, and because it'd be much easier to put action into the Grimm forest in the episode after that. So Black and White becomes the first episode without action.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2014-03-15 at 10:54 AM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

28. - Top - End - #238

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Where exactly would you get professional animators? Does Canada have a secret base full of anime artists that I'm not aware of? ...And how would you pay them?

Yes, I'm aware we can't have action just for action's sake - there can only be one Avatar and all. That's why I've only suggested breaking up one of the fight scenes between episodes and adding one for Yang earlier on. This is largely because I can't think of a way to put action into Black and White, and because it'd be much easier to put action into the Grimm forest in the episode after that. So Black and White becomes the first episode without action.
    Yup! And thinking on it, that's how it should be. Note that we WOULD get to see some action from the whole Grimm fight that destroys Ruby's home. So the first episode has some action as well, though not tons of it. But yes, your ideas are good.

Also I'm getting the animators from the Theoretical Zodi Space. In this universe, I am in the place of Monty Oum. Which means I made Haloid and Dead Fantasy, or something like them, that would get me into Red vs Blue and what not.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Troll in the Playground

I watched the trailers I don't care. I'm rewriting the series. I know what she can do in series, but since I'm rewriting the series I am doing things my way. That's kind of the point.
    Well then you'll note Weiss already has a weapon that switches elements. Yang's doing the same would be overlap.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #240

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    Well then you'll note Weiss already has a weapon that switches elements. Yang's doing the same would be overlap.
    I think you missed the part where this is how I would write the series. Specifically you missed the part where I noted how Weiss's weapon would be different.