New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [CONAN] GM's Closet for the Conan RPG

-- Damage To Specific Areas --

The 3.5 DMG refers to this as a variant rule (see pg. 27), but really, it's just advice on a use of the Favorable/Unfavorable Conditions rule from page 87 of the 2E core rulebook. It's good reading. Check it out if you have access to that book. You won't use it all the time, but it will add spice to particular encounters.

Also check the Warrior's Companion for similar rules.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

-- CONAN THE BARBARIAN --

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Do you have any material on planning adventure and campaign stories for Sword & Sorcery games and preparing encounters that evoke a fitting feel?
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Do you have any material on planning adventure and campaign stories for Sword & Sorcery games and preparing encounters that evoke a fitting feel?
    Hmm... I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. Advice on creating a sword & sorcery vibe instead of the normal D&D fantasy setting? If that's it, I know that googleing "sword & sorcery" will return some results worth reading.

In post #4, I provide some links to some adventures and other resources on the net.

In post #7, I discuss keeping the Conan campaign as a low level game. I usually think of it as an E10 game even though level 20 is attainable.

Akin to the above, I discuss the average human in a Conan game in post #39.

Post #23 links to a page that has advice on turning a normal d20 game into a sword & sorcery game. That would be good reading for you.

The Conan comics are excellent sources for scenario ideas and campaigns. I discuss that in post #30.

In Post #40 and Post #54, I discuss how Conan and S&S adventures don't have as many "goodie drops" in terms of equipment and magical doo-dads as normal D&D adventures.

And in post #45, I show how I took a normal D&D adventure and turned it into something appropriate for Sword & Sorcery play.

If you've got a more specific question, I'll try to answer it (or, if I misunderstood what you were looking for).

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

-- SAVAGE PICTS! --

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

-- EPIC CAMPAIGN! --

I bought the first Red Sonja Omnibus only because I have a passion for all things set during the Hyborian Age. I wasn't expecting to actually like what a read. I mean, c'mon! A super-chick running around in a chain mail bikini? Gimme a break!

But the writing and the images hooked me. I was absolutely blown away by the story. I actually bought into the character, chain mail bikini or no. And, today, the epic story told in the first omnibus remains one of my favorite Hyborian Age tales (click on link above).

I can't help thinking that, not only is this a Hyborian Age answer to Lord of the Rings, but it would also make for a fantastic mega-campaign. That is, if a GM put the time into developing it.

This story has it all: Lots and lots of plot twists, interesting characters, menacing foes, and plenty of action.

First off, the story takes place in Hyrkania. We know little of that part of the world. Just look at a Hyborian Age map. Hyrkania is the largest non-detailed region in the known world! Hyrkania is just blank! Sandwiched in between Khitai and the Vilayet, Hyrkania stretches from the hot, northern reaches of Vendyha, across the height of the Vilayet, up into the frozen northern regions.

This could be a hell of an area for a GM to create his own playground. And, the Red Sonja story presented in the omnibus will put a lot of detail (about cities and locations, terrain, people and culture) where there is little to no description.

You can play the campaign in many ways. You don't have to copy a female warrior Red Sonja type. It is important, though, that at least one character in the PC party have a strong connection with a god or goddess. You can use Red Sonja's goddess or replace her with one of the Hyrkanian gods. Which god doesn't matter. Customize for your campaign.

I always thought this adventure would play out fantastically with one of the player characters being a Thulsa Doom type character--maybe a Soldier/Scholar multi-class. The character can be fanatical about his god, or the character could be a type that could care less about gods (like Conan) but is being manipulated by at least one of them anyway.

The adventure starts simple enough. Put a PC on horseback, and set him on a trail to a town called Gathia. Other players can be this character's hired or sworn protection. Or, maybe, if the main character is a cult leader type, the others could be followers of the same god. These are just ideas, of course. A lot of choices for the PCs are available to the players.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground

-- DYNAMIC COMBAT! --

Take a look at this action fight scene from the movie Centurion: AWESOME COMBAT SCENE FROM THE FILM "CENTURION"

Your Conan combats can certainly be that exciting. Combat in the Conan RPG can be more fun than combat in any other d20 based game. Where many have said that D&D is a magic-centric game, the Conan RPG can be a warrior focused game (just look at the character classes!) if you play with all the game's bells and whistles.

Use the Combat Maneuvers. Use all the special rules. Use the GUSTUD rule. If you do, your game will evolve from your standard I-attack-you-attack boredom to dynamic combat scenes where anything can happen.

Below, I'm going to touch on some rules with which the GM should familiarize himself. (And, the below is just taken from the Core Rulebook. Other maneuvers and such are provided in other Conan RPG rulebooks.)

A Feint can be attempted, using the Bluff skill. Pg. 93. See also pg. 207.

A character can use a standard action to try and intimidate a foe using the Demoralize Other function of the Intimidate skill. Pg. 107.

Shields are used defensively, to boost AC, and as weapons. All shields are stated both ways. Pg. 159.

Choice of weapon can heavily influence combat technique: Pros and Cons of Thrown or missle weapons vs. melee weapons. Reach weapons vs. weapons with standard 5' threat range. One handed vs. two handed weapons. One weapon fighting vs. two weapon fighting. Standard attack vs. Full Attack.

There are two forms of defense to choose from: Parry Defense and Dodge Defense. Pg. 170.

There are two basic forms of attack to choose from: Standard brute force based attacks and Finesse fighting. Pg. 171.

A character using the Dodge defense who is crowded on all sides takes a -2 penalty to his AC. Pg. 173.

When attack roll equals Parry Defense exactly, the Weapon Breakage rule kicks in to replace the successful hit as if the attacker had just made a successful sunder attack. Damage is placed on the defender's weapon or shield instead of reducing the defender's hit points. This makes the Dodge defense easier on equipment and allows equipment to deteriorate from use. Pg. 174.

The Weapon Length rule gives an advantage to a character using a bigger, longer weapon than his foe. For example, a character armed with a dagger would have a -2 penalty placed on his Parry defense if facing a foe using a two-handed greatsword. Likewise, the foe with the greatsword would benefit from a +2 bonus to his Parry defense when defending himself from the dagger wielder. This rule encourages the use of Dodge--jumping out of the way of that greatsword rather than Parrying it with a dagger! Pg. 174.

Armor reduces damage. It doesn't make a character harder to hit. Weapons have an Armor Piercing score, which is usually increased by a character's STR rating. This represents a character's ability to punch through armor. Pg. 178.

Armor can be damaged in melee. See the Armor damage and repair rule. Pg. 179.

The Fighting Defensively rule is one that should be used often in this most dangerous game. In effect, a character takes a -4 on his attack in order to benefit from a +2 bonus to the character's defense. Pg. 184.

The Fighting On The Run rule allows a character to move, attack, and then finish his movement, promoting some interesting tactical movement choices. Pg. 184.

Total Defense is a rule that allows a character to spend his Standard Action defending himself only, instead of attacking and defending. The character benefits by getting a +4 bonus to his defense. Pg. 185.

Withdraw is a way to attempt to disengage from melee and move more than 5 feet without earning an Attack of Opportunity from your enemy. Pg. 187.

Characters who have 1 HP or more are considered fully capable. Characters at 0 HP are Staggered. Characters at -1 HP or below are immobile and dying. Characters at -10 HP are dead. Pg. 191.

There are two types of damage, lethal and non-lethal. Pg. 192.

Cover, especially for ranged combatants, can improve defense with a +4 bonus. Pg. 196.

Flanking an enemy nets the flankers a +2 bonus to hit. Pg. 198.

Helpless defenders can be attacked with a regular attack or a coup de grace. Pg. 198.

Multiple opponents will gain ever increasing bonuses to attack the single foe that they encircle. Pg. 202.

Fighting with two weapons, one in each hand, is a deadly combat technique, and in the Conan RPG, the rules are kinder to this fighting style than in most other d20 games. Pg. 203.

The Aid Another rule can be used in combat. Pg. 204.

Those using missile weapons will gain a +2 attack bonus if the characters first spends a round to aim. Pg. 204.

If the goal is to push an enemy back a distance or knock him down, use the Bull Rush combat maneuver. Pg. 204.

The Charge is a favored, standard combat maneuver. Pg. 204.

When the attack throw is less than half a target's Dodge defense, the target is allowed an immediate, free action to move 5 feet in any direction the target (with a DEX 13+) desires. The Dance Aside rule can sometimes make for some interesting tactical movement decisions. Pg. 205.

The Delay action allows a character to lower his initiative score. Pg. 205.

In the right situation, with the right objects within reach, the Improvised Attack combat maneuver can give characters who have STR 13+ and DEX 13+ an extra attack during the round. Pg. 208.

The Lock Weapons rule gives both the attacker and defender a choice to lock weapons whenever the attack throw exactly equals the Parry defense. Both the attacker and defender have to decline to use the maneuver in order for this rule to be ignored. If either, or both, the attacker and defender want to use the rule, then the Lock Weapons attempt is played out. Also see the Weapon Breakage rule, above. Pg. 209.

The Ready action allows a character to trigger his action to some special event later in the round (like aiming at a doorway and firing your crossbow at the first creature through the door). Pg. 210.

If caught on the ground, the Roll maneuver allows a character to avoid standard prone penalties. Pg. 210.

Characters can take advantage of their skills and the combat terrain with the Use the Battlefield maneuver. In the most recent Conan movie, Conan runs up to a foe, jumps, then springs off a column with his feet, to come down swinging on his foe from above. A successful skill check would give Conan a +2 bonus on this creative attack. Jumping off a balcony, grabbing a chandelier, and dropping on an opponent would use this rule (and a couple skill checks). Pg. 212.

Now, that is A LOT OF CHOICES! And all 1st level characters can mix and match any of these maneuvers to gain their best tactical advantaged. And...I haven't even named them all! I left out all the stuff that you can do that allows your target an Attack Of Opportunity against you (like a Sunder or a Trip). I also left out special maneuvers that require Feats. I didn't touch special class abilities or sorcery, either.

COMBINE all of this stuff (after a fairly hefty learning curve, albeit), and what do you get?

Exciting, intricate combat encounters that transcend the traditional you-go-I-go aspect of many d20 combat encounters. Add in rules from other Conan sources, like the various unarmed combat strikes from the Barbaric Warrior book, and combat becomes even more rich.

Your Conan combats will go from the dull to the amazing!

Crom!

8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

-- THE JOURNEY OF CIAN McDOWD --

Spoiler
    Show

Cian McDowd
    2nd level Barbarian

Race: Cimmerian
    Sex: Male
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 168 lbs.
    Handedness: Right

STR: 16 (+3)
    DEX: 15 (+2)
    CON: 9 (-1)
    INT: 10
    WIS: 11
    CHA: 8 (-1)

HP: 16
    Fate: 3
    XP: 1,000

Parry: AC 13
    Parry with Shield: AC 16

Dodge: AC 13
    Ranged Dodge with Shield: AC 16

ARMOR
    Bracers = DR 1
    Bracers + Helm = DR 2 (As pictured above)

Mantle = DR 2
    Mantle + Helm = DR 3

Winter Clothing = DR 3 (+7 Max DEX)
    Winter Clothing + Helm = DR 4 (+7 Max DEX)

Mail Hauberk = DR 6 (+3 Max DEX, -4 Armor Check Penalty)
    Mail Hauberk + Helm = DR 7 (+3 Max DEX, -4 Armor Check Penalty)

Initiative: +5
    Fort: +2
    Ref: +5
    Will: +4 (+6 vs. Fear) (+7 vs. Corruption)

BAB: +2
    Melee: +5
    Finesse: +4
    Ranged: +4

Speed: 30 ft. (25 ft. when wearing hauberk)

Code of Honor: Barbarian
    Allegiance: Blue Fox Clan = +2 CHA check bonus
    Base Reputation: 3
    1st Level Deed: +1 Reputation - Left Ox Clan for Blue Fox Clan
    Social Standing (Barbarian): +0 Reputation
    Current Reputation: 4 = +0 Reputation based checks

LANGUAGES*: Cimmerian (native), Nordheimer, Aqualonian, Pictish, Hyperborean.

*This character is not literate in any of these languages. Literacy can be obtained at no cost to the character except for time needed to learn to read and write and an effort on the part of the character. Literacy actions are governed by the GM.

PROFECIENCY FEATS: Simple Weapon Proficiency (All), Martial Weapon Proficiency (All), Armor Proficiency (Light), Armor Proficiency (Medium), Shield Proficiency.

BARBARIAN FEATS: Track, Two-Weapon Combat.

1st LEVEL FEAT: Toughness
    1st LEVEL FAVORED RACIAL CLASS FEAT: Defensive Warrior**

**This Feat is taken from The Barbaric Warrior supplement. It allows the character to use the Fighting Defensively routine at a -2 attack modifier instead of the standard -4 penalty.

BARBARIAN CLASS ABILITIES: Fearless, Versatility, Bite Sword, Crimson Mist.

CLASS SKILLS
    20 skill points: 3 Climb, 1 Craft (Carpenter), 4 Listen, 1 Handle Animal, 1 Hide, 1 Move Silently, 1 Profession (Lumberjack), 1 Ride, 4 Spot, 3 Survival.

-1 Bluff (-3 verbally based)
    +10 Climb
    +0 Craft (Herbal)

+0 Craft (any mundane)
    +1 Craft (Carpenter)
    +4 Listen (+6 in native terrain)

+0 Handle Animal (Trained)
    +3 Hide (+5 in native terrain)
    -1 Intimidate

+3 Jump
    +3 Move Silently (+5 in native terrain)
    -1 Perform

+1 Profession (Lumberjack) (Trained)
    +3 Ride
    +4 Spot (+6 in native terrain)

+5 Survival (+7 in native terrain)
    +3 Swim

CROSS-CLASS SKILLS

+0 Appraise
    +2 Balance
    -1 Concentration

+0 Craft (Alchemy)
    +0 Decipher Script (Not Trained)
    +0 Disable Device (Not Trained)

-3 Diplomacy
    -1 Disguise
    +2 Escape Artist

+0 Forgery
    -1 Gather Information
    +0 Heal

+2 Knowledge (Local - Blue Foxlands of Cimmeria) (Trained)
    +2 Knowledge (Nature) (Not Trained)
    +0 Knowledge (various Knowledge skills) (Not Trained)

+2 Open Lock (Not Trained)
    +0 Search
    +0 Sense Motive

+0 Slight of Hand
    +2 Tumble (Not Trained)
    +2 Use Rope

NOTES: At 3rd level, look at obtaining the Great Fortitude Feat to boost his FORT save. Look at non-trained skills. At 4th level, as Cian gains a +1 bonus to any attribute of his choice, look at placing that in CON and gaining +4 hit points retroactively.

CLOTHING

On the journey from Seven Stones Ridge to Ansuz, Cian wears heavy leather breeks, deerskin boots, and fur leg wraps beneath a heavy cloth winter kilt. Up top, he wears a long sleeved cotton liene (billowy shirt) and a rough spun (rough outer garment used to hold heat) plus a wool scarf. Around his shoulders, he wears his heavy bear skin mantle (heavy cloak).

Bound up in this winter kit, Cian wears the equivalent armor of a Quilted Jerkin, but Cian will store various articles in Stormhoof's saddlebags (and thus, removing the armor protection) as his comfort level allows. The mantle, alone, though will serve as some protection. Protection derived from clothing does not stack with actual armor pieces. See the Armor section in the stat block above.

All clothing items are High Quality (Craft DC 15 to create/repair) except for the mantle, which is of Superior Quality (DC 20 to create/repair). See the clothing rules on page 3 of Tito's Trading Post.

Miscellaneous clothing items include: Breek and weapon belts. Cloth loinclout.

01.0 lb. Leather Breeks
    01.0 lb. Boots
    00.5 lb. Leg Wraps
    00.5 lb. Winter Kilt
    ----- lb. Liene
    ----- lb. Rough Spun
    ----- lb. Scarf
    03.0 lb. Mantle
    00.5 lb. Belt
    01.0 lb. Weapon Belt
    ----- lb. Loin Cloth

ARMOR

The Aesir of Ansuz gifted Cian with kingly prizes for his aid during the long winter. Cian was given a mail hauberk, albeit dented, scratched, and repaired. The set fits well Cian's shape. And, the young warrior was proffered a new Asgardian horned steel helm. See the Armor section of the stat block above.

When Cian became clansmen to the Blue Fox, he chipped a piece of stone from one of the teeth of the prachaun grule--the ancient circle of seven monolithic stones that gives the Foxman clanholme its name. This, he shaped into the image of a tooth. With a piece of gut leather, he hung it around his neck for all to see. As an animal bears it's teeth when it fights, so now would Cian, with a tooth of stone carved from ancient and sacred rock. When the Aesir presented Cian with the new helm, he had the stone tooth fashioned to a ring that hangs from the left side of the helmet. No longer would the tooth be hidden under heavy clothing or armor. All would see it when he donned the helm and entered battle. See the illustration of Cian at the top of this post.

Note that Cian will not always wear this armor, especially the hauberk. The mail sits heavily upon his shoulders causing fatiuge. See the rule on page 41 of Tito's Trading Post. The armor is just as likely to be carried on the back of Stonehoof as it is to be on Cian's back.

The only piece of true armor that Cian brought with him from his clanholme is the wooden targe for which he bartered just before leaving Seven Stones. If not on Cian's left arm or slung over his shoulder, the shield will be found hanging from Stonehoof's saddlehorn.

Cian wears leather bracers on his wrists. These serve as armor (see the piecemeal armor rules in either the Barbaric Warrior or Barbaric Treasures supplements) but can only be combined with other piecemeal armor items. See the Armor section in the stat block above.

35.0 lb. Mail Hauberk
    03.0 lb. Steel Cap
    04.0 lb. Targe
    ----- lb. Bracers

WEAPONS

As the Foxmen set off from Seven Stones, Hrathnar shoved a long, heavy war spear into Cian's hands. When needed, he was to use it to punch at the snow to ensure footing. When not in Cian's hands, it can be found strapped to Stonehoof's flank.

War Spear: 1d10 Damage. x3 Critical. AP 2. Hard 7. HP 4. Reach/Finesse Weapon. Simple Two-Handed Melee Piercing Weapon.

Cian's man weapon is an old, well-used broadsword that he's had almost as long as he's been a warrior. It's a no-frills, soldier's weapon that Cian took from dead fingers in the aftermath of his first large battle. Though plain, the weapon is strong, keen, and quite capable. There is no doubt that this is a warrior's weapon meant for the single purpose of slaying foes. During the cold months, Cian uses a rabbit lined scabbard that prevents snags when drawing the weapon in extreme cold.

Broadsword: 1d10 Damage. 19-20/x2 Critical. AP 3. Hard 10. HP 5. Finesse Weapon if wielded two-handed. Martial One-Handed Melee Slashing Weapon.

Cian still carries the first real weapon he acquired as a child, long before he became a warrior. After his 4th winter, Cian's father gave him an antler-handled dirk. Today, Cian still frequently uses it as a utility knife and off-hand weapon. It is not balanced to be thrown. The dirk can always be found on Cian's person, usually in its scabbard at Cian's waist. The Cimmerian Dirk can be found in S&P.

Cimmerian Dirk: 1d6 Damage. 19-20/x2 Critical. AP 2. Hard 10. HP 2. Finesse Weapon. Simple Light Melee Piercing Weapon.

The sacred number 3 pervades Cimmerian life. Cimmerians believe that the human soul and spirit resides in the combination of earth, water, and sky. The raiding, planting, harvesting, and winter seasons are each made up of three months time. A traditional family unit is made up of husband, wife, and children. Cimmerian warriors are taught to keep three instruments of war on their person at all times: A helm, a shield, and a sword; or an Axe, dirk, and bracers; or a greatsword, helm, and jerkin; etc. At age 12, young Cimmerians endure intense training regimens over three years before proving themselves to be adult warriors at age 15. The triskel, a three leafed spiral design is common in Cimmerian art and armor/weapon etching, and so on.

The Aesir of Ansuz honored the clansmen from Seven Stones Ridge by displaying their knowledge of Cimmerian ways and presenting each of their guests with three gifts. Cian was given the new helmet, to keep his mind, the mail hauberk, to keep his heart, and a finely balanced axe to dispense his wrath and keep his body. This weapon is carried with its handle through a metal hoop fastened to Cian's weapon belt.

Axe: 1d8 Damage. x3 Critical. AP 1. Range Increment: 10 ft. Hard 5. HP 3. Finesse Weapon. Martial Light Melee Slashing Weapon.

05.0 lb. War Spear
    02.5 lb. Broadsword
    02.0 lb. Cimmerian Dirk
    02.0 lb. Axe

MISCELLANEOUS ITEMS

Cian's mantle features three inside pockets. He doesn't usually put anything in them as he's learned that any substantial weight throws his cloak askew. But, he does carry some flint and steel, and some fire starter made of dried brush, hemp, and horse hair. The weight of the cloak is much more substantial than all of these things combined (although there's plenty of room left in these pockets should he ever need them).

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

On his belt (not his weapon belt) hangs a single pouch. In this, he carries a whetstone.

Either draped across his torso or his saddle horn is a waterskin.

----- lb. Flint and Steel (in mantle inside pocket)
    ----- lb. Firestarter (in mantle inside pocket)
    00.5 lb. Belt Pouch (on breeks belt)
    01.0 lb. Whetstone (in belt pouch)
    04.2 lb. Waterskin (water weighs about 8.5 lb. per gallon)

Cian owns a horse, and he's one of the few warriors among the Foxmen to ride. Stonehoof is a shaggy, brown and white Nordheimer Warhorse prized after Vanir raiders were vanquished 16 years ago. Dowd, Cian's father, gave the horse to Cian on the young warrior's naming day. When a lumberjack among the Ox clan, Cian used the horse to pull downed logs to the river. When Cian left the Ox to join the Blue Fox, Stonehoof came with him as one of his possessions.

The horse, today, is showing its age, but Cian knows that old Stonehoof horse has several good years left in him.

Items carried on horse include: A fur bedroll, rolled up and tied behind the saddle; Hemp Rope, rolled and hung from the saddle horn; bit and bridle; saddle; and saddle pack. As mentioned above, at times the war spear, targe, waterskin, mail hauberk, and clothing not currently worn can be strapped to the horse as well.

Right Side Saddle Pack: Here, Cian carries an iron pot, a water costrel of vinegar, a wrap of spices, a cooking ladle, and a cooking fork.

Left Side Saddle Pack: Where Cian carries healing supplies. Life in the wilderness of Cimmeria can be quite harsh. Carried is a Healer's Kit, a cloth wrapped one pound mass of Healer's Pitch, a leathern tube of Healer's Balm, and a single rolled bandage that is gummed with paste of Acacia seeds. In addition, the pack holds a cloth wrapped one pound block of lye soap, and coarse cotton thread wrapped around a cork spool with a sewing needle pressed into one end of the cork.

Two hessian sacks, tied together with a short length of hemp rope, holds 7 days worth of trail rations. The rations include: Jerky; Salted Meat; Dried Fish; Dried Fruit; Dried Vegitables; Nuts; Oatcakes; Biscuts; Cheese; and long lasting vegitables like Potatoes. Note that one pound of food per day is the minimum amount any adult reqires. Cian will still travel at half speed and use the "Get Along In The Wild" function of his Surival skill to supplement his meals. He must also use the skill to find food and water for Stonehoof.

05.0 lb. Bedroll
    10.0 lb. Hemp Rope 50'
    01.0 lb. Bit & Bridle
    25.0 lb. Saddle
    15.0 lb. Saddlepack
    02.0 lb. Iron Pot
    02.0 lb. Water Costrel (Vinegar)
    00.2 lb. Spices (30 uses)
    00.2 lb. Cooking Ladle
    00.2 lb. Cooking Fork
    01.0 lb. Healer's Kit (10 uses)
    01.0 lb. Healer's Pitch (10 uses)
    01.0 lb. Healer's Balm (10 uses)
    ----- lb. Gummed Bandage (Arcacia Herb Paste) (1 use)
    01.0 lb. Soap
    ----- lb. Sewing Needle and Thread
    01.0 lb. 2 Sacks
    07.0 lb. Trail Rations (7 days)

Spoiler
    Show

Stonehoof
    Aging Nordheimer Warhorse
    3 HD Large Animal

Climate/Terrain: Mountains, Frozen Plains
    Organization: Domesticated

Initiative: +3
    Senses: Listen +4, Spot +4, low-light vision, scent

Dodge: AC 12
    DR: 2
    HP: 32

Fort: +6
    Will: +2

Speed: 60 ft.

Full Attack: 2 hooves +4 (1d6+3, AP--) and bite +5 (1d4+3, AP--)

Space/Reach: 10 ft./ 5 ft.
    Base Attack: +2
    Grapple: +2

STR: 17 (+3)
    DEX: 11
    CON: 20 (+5)
    INT: 2 (-4)
    WIS: 13 (+1)
    CHA: 6 (-2)

FEATS: Endurance, Great Fortitude

SKILLS: +4 Climb, +4 Jump

Carrying Capacity: Light load = 0-349 lbs., Medium load = 350-700 lbs., Heavy load = 701-1100 lbs. Drag = 0-5000 lbs.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground

-- GRAPPLE! --

I should point out that one of the brilliant rule changes of the Second Edition Conan game is that the standard d20 grappling rules were improved. No longer would a character need to first make a touch attack AND THEN a grapple attack in order to first grab then hold his opponent in a grapple. Check out pg. 199 of the 2E core rules. There, you will a more simplified rules than what is presented in the other two editions of the game.

Now, with the 2E rules, a grapple is as simple as making an unarmed attack. First, the object of the grapple gets an Attack of Opportunity on his attacker. If that does not hit or fails to damage the character because of his armor, the grapple proceeds with a single, simple throw.

In order to attempt the grapple, a character makes a grapple check, which is basically an unarmed attack (d20 + BAB + STR mod). This can be thrown against his foe's own grapple check, or his foe can use his Grapple AC (which is his grapple check if he took 10 on the throw).

It's that easy.

In the following rounds, the grapple proceeds unless a throw is made to break the grapple.

Very easy stuff.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

-- HORSE THOUGHTS --

Let me direct your attention to page 19 of Tito's Trading Post. There, you will find adivce and rules for using mounts in your game. I went back and gave an NPC I had created a skill point into Handle Animal because of these rules. They make a lot of sense, and in using them, they turn Horses and other mounts into something other than tireless means of transporting characters from one point to another. With these rules, you'll have to plan your route. If you run out of food or water for your mount, the poor thing may perish. And, these rules also give you another reason to keep some points in Survival.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

-- FEMALE CHARACTERS --

The Hyborian Age is dominated by men. Rarely will you see a woman, armored-up, swinging a heavy sword in battle, keeping their own, right next to the men. It happens, sure. But, it is rare. Valeria comes to mind--both incarnations of her (from Howard's story Red Nails and the more battle oriented thief from the 1982 movie). Even then, it can be argued that Valeria (either version) is more of a finesse fighter than she is a strength fighter. And, Red Sonja may be thought of. But, I'll remind you that Sonja's power is imbued in her by her goddess. Sonja's power is not natural.

I don't advocate using any type of modifiers for female characters. The same 4D6, drop the lowest, total, and arrange to taste process should be used for female and male characters in this game. What I will say, though, is this: Once you've rolled your six stats, consider putting the lowest roll in STR if playing a female. This thinking will keep the gritty reality edge on your game that is a common part of the atmosphere of the Hyborian Age.

For example, in my newest Conan campaign, I've just had a player get extremely lucky with the dice and roll some very high stats: 16, 16, 15, 15, 14, 9. He considered playing a female thief along the lines of Valeria from the 1982 movie. Looking at those stats, we both agreed that the 9 or the 14 should be assigned to STR, but DEX and INT should definitely get the two 16's.

The player kept debating about going with the below or swapping out STR and CON.

STR 9
    DEX 16
    CON 14
    INT 16
    WIS 15
    CHA 15

The interesting thing about the Conan RPG is that there is an entire character class devoted to the strength of females. Since the fairer race is typically less physical than their male counterparts, some women have learned to overcome this obstacle by focusing on other powers at their command--with the power of their sex not the least of these. In the Conan RPG, the Temptress class was added to the first edition as a secondary character class in a support book but then was made an official core class in the second edition.

If you are currently watching or reading the Game of Thrones saga, then the Red Witch, companion to Stannis Baratheon, is certainly a Temptress class. Cersei Lannister, too, would probably be classed as a Noble/Temptress multi-classed character.

Temptresses are manipulators. They play games behind the scenes, toying with people's loyalty to them, often imprisoning a strong male with their sex.

It takes a strong role player to play a Temptress character well, but in the hands of a competent player, the experience can be like few others in any other role playing game. It can be quite rewarding.

Are there physically strong women in the Conan RPG? Sure. Their can be. And, if what I've said above sticks in your craw, then ignore it and play your game any way you think best. Besides, this is a fantasy based roleplaying game. Really, anything goes as long as you and your players accept it.

If you want to have a Brienne type character from Game of Thrones--a warrior woman capable of defeating most other men, then so be it! In the 2011 movie, the background shots of Khalar Zym's army featured what some speculate to be one-eyed Amazon warriors--all females (though they were archers). If it's cool, and you like it, then put it in your game.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

-- GUSTUD! --

Variant rule. You're in combat. Oh no! Your roll a natural one on your attack die. You are now gustud (pronounced gust-ed). A gust from the winds of fate blow down upon you.

The natural one indicates that you have over-reached, zigged when you should have zagged, or otherwise opened yourself up, just for a milisecond, to free special attack by your enemy.

What kind of special attack? When you are gustud, your opponent rolls rolls 1d6 on the chart. Then, your opponent may attempt the special attack routine indicated on the chart, if he wants to. Many of the special attacks on the chart can turn out to harm the person attempting the special attack, so there will be occasions when you are gustud but your opponent decides not to take advantage of the situation. When this occurs, your natural one simply means that you missed your enemy, opened yourself up for the special attack, then closed the opportunity during the melee before your enemy could take advantage of the situation.

Every gustud maneuver usually allows the object of the special attack to perform an Attack of Opportunity on the attacker before the special maneuver is attempted. When a character is gustud, this is a special situation where the character is not allowed the usual Attack of Opportunity (not unlike the Weapon Breakage rule on pg. 174 of the 2E rulebook).

Code:
     1d6
    -----
      1  Grapple
      2  Unarmed Strike
      3  Sunder
      4  Trip
      5  Unarmed Strike
      6  Disarm
    An easy way to remember the chart? Just look at the first letter of each result. A character can only be gustud as a result of a melee attack throw. Ranged attack throws are immune to the rule.

Grapple: Your foe may initiate a grapple.

Unarmed Strike: Your foe may make an unarmed strike doing non-lethal damage if successful. If your foe takes a -4 penalty on the attack, then a successful strike will do lethal damage.

Sunder: Your foe may attempt to sunder your weapon or shield (his choice).

Trip: Your foe may attempt to trip you.

Unarmed Strike: Consider this gustud result to be exactly like result #2 above.

Disarm: Your foe may attempt to disarm your weapon.

EXCITING COMBAT!

Now I want you to look at this clip from the 2010 film Centurion.

Your combats can reflect this kind of chaos, and your Conan combat can be as interesting as that in the clip. First, use all the options in the game. Combat maneuvers can turn a combat on its ear and keep all involved glued to the action. Then, I suggest adding the gustud rule to your game. That will certainly spice things up.

Remember these other excitements to Conan melee combat:

A natural 20 will always indicate a Critical Threat.

A natural 1 is not only an automatic miss, regardless if the total with modifier hit, but if you use the rule above, a natural 1 will also indicate that the character is gustud.

When attack equals Parry AC exactly, the Weapon Breakage rule is triggered. See page 174.

When attack equals Parry AC exactly, the Lock Weapons maneuver may be initiated.

Parry AC is adjusted by the Weapon Length rules. See page 174.

When total attack is less than half the opponent's Dodge AC, then the Dance Aside maneuver may be triggered.

When total attack is less than half the opponent's Parry AC, then the Riposte maneuver may be triggered.

Throw all of the special circumstances together (and I haven't even mentioned being flatfooted or maneuvers like the Feint or Hooking Parry or Shield Slam--which is different from the Shield Bash), along with the gustud rule above, there will be no telling where combat takes you. It will be chaotic, gruesome, gritty, very Conan-esque, and very fun!
    Last edited by Water Bob; 2014-04-09 at 10:56 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

-- DANCE ASIDE --

Check out the Dance Aside combat maneuver on page 205 of the 2E core rulebook. A combatant is qualified to use Dance Aside if he has DEX 13+, and the Dance Aside is triggered when your foe, in a melee attack, ends up with a total attack sum that is less than half the combatant's Dodge AC. You have to be using the Dodge defense in order to take advantage of the Dance Aside, of course.

When the Dance Aside is triggered, the combatant is given an immediate action in the form of a 5 foot step, simulating the character nimbly dancing out of the way of his opponent's attack.

The Dance Aside maneuver is a perfect match for characters with high DEX and Dodge AC scores and for those who use reach weapons.

Let me show you how the Dance Aside can prevent an opponent from attacking you: In melee combat, use your normal 5 foot step at the end of your turn (if you're using a reach weapon, you'll probably use it at the beginning of your turn in order to bring your weapon to bear on y our opponent).

Next, on your opponent's turn, he will have to use his 5 foot step in order close range to attack you (you wouldn't do this if your opponent used a reach weapon, of course). If your opponent gets more than one attack, either by using two weapons or by his level, you can avoid the second attack (and possibly more attacks) if the Dance Aside is triggered.

Code:
    1.  Begin in base-to-base contact (melee).  Foe X fighting PC Y.

XY

2.  PC moves 5 feet away from foe at end of turn.

X_Y

3.  Foe must close distance in order to regain base-to-base combat for melee.  This is foe's movement allotment for the round.

XY

4.  If Foe rolls half or less the PC's Dodge AC, then PC immediately moves 5 feet per the Dance Aside maneuver.  

X_Y

5.  Any remaining attacks by the foe cannot be used because the two are no longer in base-to-base combat, and the foe has used up all movement this round.

Example.

For example, consider a Cimmerian in melee combat with a Vanir warrior. The Cimmerian fights with broadsword and Shield, while the Vanir is using two axes--one in each hand. The Vanir is 6th level, so if he uses a Full Attack routine, he will get 3 attacks on the Cimmerian (two with his main weapon and a third attack for the off-hand weapon).

On the Cimmerian's turn, he slices away with his broadsword, then, after his attack, he uses his 5 foot step to move five feet back away from the Vanir.

Now, it's the Vanir's turn. The first thing the Vanir will do is close range, using his 5 foot step to do so, because, otherwise, the Vanir cannot attack the Cimmerian (who is, at the start of the Vanir's turn, 5 feet away). The Cimmerian will be using his Dodge defense for any incoming blows. The Vanir starts a Full Attack Action in order to get all three of his attacks at the Cimmerian, but, as fate would have it, the Vanir's first attack is less than the Cimmerian's Dodge AC.

Right then, because it's an immediate action, the Dance Aside is triggered, and the Cimmerian is allowed to move 5 feet in any direction he wishes. The Cimmerian again steps straight back, away from the Vanir, which puts him now at 5 feet from the Vanir instead of base-to-base contact. And, the Vanir has used all of his movement for the round--you forced him to take a 5 foot step at the start of his turn. Therefore, the Dance Aside maneuver has saved the Cimmerian from all three attacks that round: The first Vanir attack failed and triggered the Dance Aside, which made the Vanir's other two attacks impossible to attempt.

Of course, you can't control when the Dance Aside will occur. But, you can do things to raise your Dodge AC to make it easier for foes to roll half or less.

Reach Weapon?

This example turns out even better if the Cimmerian is using a reach weapon. Replace the shield and broadsword above with a war spear. On the Cimmerian's turn, he takes a 5 foot step backwards, increasing range to the Vanir, in order to be able to attack with the war spear.

On the Vanir's turn, the redhair steps inside the weapon's guard, recovering that 5 feet, in order to make his Full Attack and take his three blows. Except, as I mention above, let's say that the first of these blows triggers the Cimmerian's Dance Aside maneuver. The Cimmerian immediately moves, and the Vanir has no more movement to recover that distance and deliver his blows.

Now, it's the Cimmerian's turn again, and he's starting the scenario at 5 feet from his foe. The Cimmerian can attack, using his reach weapon, then use his five foot step to increase range yet again to 10 feet. The Vanir, now, is robbed of using a Full Attack action because the Vanir must use more movement to close distance with the Cimmerian. Thus, the Vanir is allowed only a single standard attack.

Over the two rounds, the Dance Aside has prevented 5 attacks on the Cimmerian.

Not bad.
    Last edited by Water Bob; 2014-04-09 at 11:18 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Orc in the Playground

Notice the hilts of Father's Sword and the Atlantean Sword from the 1982 movie stick out over his shoulder.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Water Bob; 2014-04-09 at 11:26 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

-- VALERIA --

Check out this clip from 1982's Conan The Barbarian. .

At 2:32, Valeria uses the feat Cleave that allows her a second attack on the second foe as she downs the first foe. Notice that she doesn't take a five foot step. The second foe comes to her. On a grid, these two would have just approached Valeria using a double move, putting them in base-to-base contact with the thief. The shifting you see Valeria do is her re-positioning she does to attack the second foe at the new angle. She doesn't move from her square on these attacks.

At 2:46, Valeria uses her standard action to taunt the two new foes. In game terms, she's using the Demoralize Other function of the Intimidate skill. The GM gives her a +2 bonus because the two foes have just seen her quickly dispatch two of their comrades. The GM gives her an additional +2 bonus on the demoralize check due to the black woad she wears, making her a fearsome, intimidating opponent, indeed. That's a total +4 modifier to her check. And, from her one of her foe's hesitation, it looks like her check succeeded on the one, but not both foes. The foe that hesitates and allows his companion to attack is -2 to all attacks and checks due to the intimidation (in spite of the fact that the GM also gave the foes a +2 on their check to resist the demoralizing attempt since they outnumber Valeria). The other foe--the one that moves to attack Valeria--made his check to resist the attempt.

At 2:51, Valeria uses the combat maneuver called Use The Battlefield (see page 212 of the Core rulebook). She makes DC 20 Tumble check, and with its success, she gains a +2 attack bonus on her target. In the video, you see her take a couple of steps, jump, and push off the wall to come down on her enemy, just gaining the bonus. As a woman, Valeria's STR is mostly likely around STR 13 or so. I'd put her at STR 14. To increase her attack bonus, she relies on maneuvers like this in order to put her full weight behind the thrust of her sword.

Examples of....

CLEAVE

INTIMIDATE/DEMORALIZE OTHER

USE THE BATTLEFIELD/TUMBLE

17. - Top - End - #77
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

-- BY THE HILT! --

An oath, taken quite seriously by men who live by their sword, is made by taking or accepting an oath by the hilt. If a mercenary, brigand, pirate, or other such man of war swears by his hilt, it is very likely that oath will never be broken.

"Aye, by Mitra! Conan is right, lads," said Ivanos, "he's our lawful captain."

"Then swear it," the barbarian answered, "swear it by the hilt."

- Iron Shadows in the Moon, adapted in the Savage Sword of Conan The Barbarian
    Last edited by Water Bob; 2014-05-31 at 09:53 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

-- Hyborian Age Details --

GM's, I encourage you to create! Add-on and grow your version of the Hyborian Age. Don't just rely on what you see in the game supplements or have read in Conan books and comics. Make the world your own. Robert E. Howard gave use a fairly good look at the Hyborian Age, but there is a lot of room for your own creations. For example, during my first Conan campaign, I had a picture in my head of these large, inter-twined trees that grew close together so that their large limbs would grow into each other. I called these Thicket Trees, and I wanted to eventually develop (though I never did) a clan of Cimmerians who lived among these trees. They would live in tree houses, in these thicket groves that would wind around Cimmeria's rugged terrain, filling in some valleys. I thought about going a step further and giving these Cimmerians a reason for living in the tops of these trees by putting some beastie way down at the bottom in the valley. I did use the Thicket Trees in my game, but I never did develop the idea fully. Some Conan purists might balk at this idea, but who cares! It's my game (mine and my players'), and wanted to put a tad bit of fantasy into my dark and grim Hyborian Age. Why do all Cimmerians clans have to be like Conan, anyway? Can't there be a bit of variation--something different about a different clan? I thought so.

Now, with my new game, I'm setting it in Argos. I keyed in on the word "Shaipur" that was used in the 2011 film a couple of times (the Shaipur Monastery, the Shaipur Outpost, and the Shaipur Ravine). Using nothing but my own creative juices, I've decided that, in my campaign world, Shaipur is a region in southeastern Argos on its border with Shem. This area has been conquered in the past by the Shemites, but Argos has since reclaimed the land. This, in my game, is the reason the abandoned Shaipur Outpost exists.

I also noticed, in that movie, that both Khalar Zym and his daughter, Marique, have very high foreheads. And, this made me consider the different ethnic groups of Argos.

Spoiler
    Show

In a game set during the Hyborian Age, you don't have various flavors of elves and dwarves and halflings to interest your players. What you can do, though, is create some different flavors of human for your game. And, you can get quite creative with this. Robert E. Howard has set a precedent for this. There isn't just one flavor of Aquilonian. There are several different peoples from that expansive kingdom. There's Gundermen and Bossonians and those from the southern region of Pointain. And, this isn't the only example that you'll find in Howard's works and the pastiches. In Howard's story, The Devil In Iron, a Yuetshi fisherman is featured. The Zuagir are a Shemitish Nomadic tribe roaming the Great Desert. The Asshuri are another Shemitish tribe of people. There are more examples if you dig deep into the various Conan stories.

So, instead of just going with the macro races in your game, why not invent some separate ethnic groups for your players to discover as they get to know a location?

In my Shaipur region of Argos, I've think back to the high foreheads of Khalar Zym and Marique in the picture above, and I've decided that these people are called the Laden. Not all ethnic groups are discernible physically, but the Laden certainly are (just look at those pics!) Today, the Laden are a gypsy like folk inhabiting the Shaipur region. They're a mixed-race lot, combining both native Argossean and Shemitish blood. They are the result of Shem's control over the region. This makes Khalar Zym a man who rose up from one of the poorer Argossean peoples to become a powerful warlord.

The interior of Argos is really a union of Dukes and Barons who have banded together under for mutual protection. Technically, the King is lord over all, but practically, the nobles of the kingdom's interior are quite powerful. In some respects, each Duchy or Barony is ruled as if it were its own small kingdom within the larger agreed upon kingdom of Argos. One of these lands that meshes against the Shaipur (the Shaipur is not like the rest of the Argossean interior--it's not a region ruled over by one lord) is the Falcon Barony (whose nobles were sympathetic to Khalar Zym after his rise to power in Shaipur). The serfs in the Falcon Barony are hard working, honest people called Croats.

The nobility in Argos is generally of another race (the smallest in population) called the Wailser. This bloodline is usually jealousy guarded against mixed-breeding, and the trueblood Wailsers are dying out.

The Griko are a people of poor fishermen of the coasts, but they are regarded as a step above the Croats. And, then, there are the Mojh. These are a Shemitish people who conquered Shaipur.

If you are at a loss for names or ideas for different peoples, you can always use the net. That's what I did to come up with some of these names. Though my versions have nothing in common with the real ethnic groups, many of the names I used above are real Italian ethnic peoples. I just went and found a wiki on this.

I was thinking, too, that adding touches like this to the part of the world where my campaign will be set not only makes the place more believeable as a real region of a kingdom for my players, but it also helps when converting standard D&D adventures for use in my Conan game. I can make every bugbear I find, for example, a Mojh. When I see goblins, I'll make them Croats.

And so on.

To anybody else, a Croat or a Griko or a Wailser are all Argosseans, but to an Argossean, a Croat is a Croat. A Griko is a Grikio. And a Wailser is a Wailser.
    Last edited by Water Bob; 2014-06-03 at 12:29 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Orc in the Playground

-- ADVENTURE IN ARGOS --

I am starting a new game set in Argos. This is a short blurb I wrote (actually, sent it over text so that they can be thinking of the game while they're at work!) in order to orient the characters to the first scene that we will play. My last campaign centered around a clan of Cimmerians and their village. The PCs had a lot of support in the way of relatives, villagers, and clansmen warriors. This game, I want to change the opening direction. The PCs will start with nothing but what they have on their backs. And, I have no grand story in mind. I'm going to run this one old school. I'm just going to plop the players into the game world and see where they go.

You can see in the note I sent them below that I've shut off all support that any of the characters might have. Later, as the game progresses, I might add in NPCs from a character's past, but if that happens, it will happen organically. The players will follow their nose. I will try to accommodate their whims. Soon, I believe a story will emerge--just like it did in the old days of playing D&D.

Here's how I'm setting up the first game session. Each player has already created his character and background. Yuri of Raeve is one of the PCs. You can read about him up thread a bit. I'm going to start the game with the PCs, none of them knowing each other, a mile or two outside of town. They will be with a large group of refugees that have just left Raeve. The thinking is that there's safety in numbers.

I'll have a number of NPCs to play with--the other refugees. This first part will be a bit tricky, because I can't predict what the players will do. But, my first goal will be to get the PCs to encounter each other and somehow decide to travel together. Sometimes, the players will help you do this, and sometimes they won't. I've got some real roleplayers in this group, so I can definitely see them not joining the others unless they have a real reason.

Of course, I've got a couple of "real reasons" in my back pocket. I'll have all the PC camp close to each other--and walk close to each other in the refugee group. I've got a pack of desperate people who have all that they own on their backs. One thought I have is to put some NPC ruffians together and have them attack whichever PC has not found a reason to join the other PCs. The other PCs, hopefully, seeing the lone PC get his butt kicked, will try to help him. If not, the ruffians will beat the heck out of the lone PC and strip him of everything he's got. Pretty soon, the lone PC will have his reason to team up with somebody. He'll need food and weapons and somebody to protect his back when he sleeps. The NPCs that he encounters will either not have anything to do with him or will be so weak as to not be of any help (like an old farmer, his wife, mother, and kids). I'll just have to play all this by ear, but I think, eventually, the PCs will all find each other.

With that accomplished, I'm going to let the players "drive". I'm going to set up encounters for any direction that they go. If they stay with the refugees, then I've got a surprise for them--a neat encounter after a couple of days. They'll travel north, up through the Shaipur Ravine.

Raeze is in a small valley. To the south is the coast, which is not suitable for large ships. There are no ports in this area of Argos. They can take the coast road towards Messantia, if they wish. They'll have to travel over high hills (almost low mountains), and what they will run into this way, besides a few wandering monsters that I'm going to create, is King Milo's army. Milo does not want the plague in Messantia, and Messantia has no walls. Thus, he's got a buffer zone established between Messantia and Raeze along the coast road. Depending on the mood of the guards, refugees will be turned back or just simply slaughtered and burned (if the soldiers suspect the refugees are plague carriers).

If the PC move across the Plain of Bone and Marrow, I'm going to make this rough, not only with my random encounter chart, but with some undead. This plain is where King Milo's army engaged the remnant forces of Khalar Zym. The bodies still rot out of the plain, and now, some of them walk. Making it through the plain takes the PCs into the high hills mentioned ealier--and more adventure.

The other direction takes the PCs into the hills that separate Argos and Shem. I'm going to put cannibal hillman tribes in those hills. So, that will be a fun trip. And, on the Shem side of the border, Assuri mercenaries will be on patrol keeping the plague refugees from staggering into Shem.

The last viable route for the PCs is to go into the pass that leads to Khalar Zym's fortress, Khor Kalba. The fortress is still occupied by what's left of Zym's organization, but King Milo has left troops to guard the pass. No one gets in or out. It's been 18 months now, but Milo is hoping to starve them out.

I won't need many encounters--just enough to take us through the first game session. After we've played, I'll have an idea of where the PCs are going, and then I'll develop that direction. This way, the players have total freedom in whatever direction they go, and I won't spend a lot of time creating encounters and story that will go to waste.

I'm am setting the game about two years after the events you saw in the recent Conan movie. Khalar Zym was an Argossean warlord that ruled this part of the Kingdom. King Milo is glad to see him go, as Zym had gotten too powerful. What you see below is what I sent the players....

The town you lived in is Raeze. It lies a short distance from the rocky coast of southeastern Argos, near the border with Shem. The town grew up in the shadow of a great Acheronian ruin called Khor Kalba--an ancient fortress whose stone dates back thousands of years when this land was gripped in the dark sorcery of a long dead people. At first merely a camp for tomb robbers and those hiding from society, Raeze has grown up in the shadow of Khor Kalba to become a good sized town, bustling in trade in this rocky, border region of the Kingdom.

When Khalar Zym came to power, he took Khor Kalba as his castle, and with the wealth spread by Zym's vast and growing army, Raeze prospered. Coin exchanged hands more readily as Zym's men parted with their pay in exchange for the pleasures offered in the town. Trade became more frequent. The merchants of Raeze stocked themselves to support the vast horde of Zym's believers, and thieves in the streets never knew times as prosperous.

Eighteen months ago, Khalar Zym and his witched daughter, Marique, met their fates in the Skull Cave, within sight of Khor Kalaba. They died at the hands of a barbarian from the mystical north who had come south seeking vengeance.

Not long after Zym's fall, King Milo's forces appeared to ensure the death of any who remained of Zym's host. The two armies met on the Plain of Bone and Marrow, just outside of Raeze, but the fighting carried over to the city.

Today, Raeze is a pit of broken structures and misery. The town has been decimated. The ugly season of plague now swims through the streets.

Those with level heads say that the fate of Raeze is the natural result of war. But, there are others who whisper different explanation in the dark. Some say that evil is not longer held in check, under Zym's control. It is the the Hell's Breath, unleashed from the bowls of Khor Kalba, where the screams were heard. Others say that it is the afterbirth from Zym's excavation of dark and ancient Acheronian power, no longer held in check.

Still, even more say that it is the Retribution of Mitra, brought down upon the land by Milo's priests to cleans the place of the stench of Zym and the evil that he commanded for too long.

Whatever it is that you believe, you know that the plague is real. You have seen people die. It is time to leave Raeze, before the cough comes from your own lungs.

You've gathered everything you own. It now sits on your back. One step in front of the other, you walk, with all the other refugees abandoning the town where you have spent the majority of your life.

What lies ahead? You know not.

It is a new beginning. At least, that is what you hope.

This is where our game begins....

21. - Top - End - #81
    Orc in the Playground

-- BATTLEFIELD ARMOR --

Because the Hyborian Age can be hell on armor, your PCs may, from time to time, want to search the battlefield for better or replaced equipment. Assume that most warriors keep their armor in good shape. But, a dead warrior obviously took a killing blow, so for any armor taken from a downed foe, reduce the armor's DR by 1d4 points as if the armor had taken a 20 point blow per the rule on page 179 of the Second Edition Conan core rulebook.

BATTLEFIELD ARMOR = REDUCE DR BY 1d4

You may want to take some liberties with this rule if you have good reason that the armor is in poor repair (ancient armor taken from undead, for example) or has really taken a lot of damage on the battlefield (as with snow giants clobbering Vanir warriors). These types of circumstances are unique, and you must make a custom decision.

Remember that a character must be trained to use the armor that he wears (the character must have the appropriate Feat). Otherwise, penalties for not having the correct Feat will be used.

DOES IT FIT?

Plate Armor has its own special rules for sizing, listed in its description on page 156 of Conan 2E. The other types of armor should be fairly easy to be used by most other people. But, there may be some slight sizing issues. Some armor will be easily adjusted. With chain, it can be a matter of the arms being too long, interfering with the use of a weapon, or the chain is too tight across the chest, not allowing the freedom of movement needed in a fight. Chain or quilted armor that needs adjustment must be done with an armorsmith. Most other types of armor can be adjusted easily by just loosening buckles or making tighter tied leather straps, and this can be done easily by anybody with some time on their hands.

A character's size is measured by adding the modifiers for his Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution attributes. Thus, a character with STR 15, DEX 12, CON 18, would have armor size +7.

SIZE = STR MOD + DEX MOD + CON MOD

To find out how well armor not fitted for a character will wear, simply subtract the higher Size from the lower Size. If the character's Size is greater than that of the armor he is about to try, the new armor will be tight and will be restrictive. If the character's Size is smaller than that of the new armor, then the armor will be loose, making it a bit awkward to wear. If the result of subtracting the two Size ratings is exactly zero, then the fit is perfect, as if it had been fitted for the character.

FIT = Larger SIZE - Smaller SIZE

FIT is always an absolute value (so drop any positive or negative signs).

For example, if the character above (that wears Size +7 armor) were to find a chain shirt on a dead body, the GM will determine the Size of the chain based on the previous wearer's stats. If the dead body had stats of STR 12, DEX 16, CON 12, then the chain would be Size +4. Since the character's size (+7) is larger than that of the chain shirt (+4), we know that the chain shirt is going to be tight on the character. And, the Fit is 3.

In order to gauge the fit of new armor, make a Fit Check. Roll 1d20 against a target number created by the Fit x 5. In this case, the Fit Check will be d20 for 15 or better. If the check succeeds, the armor is a Near Fit. If the check fails, then the armor does not fit.

ARMOR FIT = d20 for (Fit x 5) or Better

Success means Near Fit.

Failure means Does Not Fit.

NEAR FIT

Where armor is a Near Fit, reduce the maximum DEX bonus allowed by the armor by the Fit number to a maximum of +0 (as is done with Plate Armor on page 156 of Conan 2E). Once the armor is fitted, the maximum DEX bonus for that armor is returned to its normal number.

For example: Using the character above who is attempting to wear the chain shirt, where the Fit is 3, the maximum DEX bonus will be +1 (usually it's +4) until the mail is fitted for the character.

DOES NOT FIT

Armor that does not fit comes with some fairly severe penalties. First off, the character wearing such ill fitting armor is considered as if he did not have the Feat for that particular armor. For example, if the character above attempting to wear the mail shirt that does not fit him, then the character is not considered to have the Light Armor Feat when regarding this particular piece of armor. The character is subject to the normal penalties for not having the Feat (must use the Armor Check penalty on most throws).

Second, the maximum DEX bonus for the armor is reduced to +0.

Third, the character's actual DEX modifier is reduced by the Fit number with regards to defense. For example, the character in our continuing example has DEX 12. He normally has a +1 to Dodge. But with the Fit 3 penalty, his DEX modifier is considered to be -2, and as stated on page 171, a DEX penalty is applied to both Dodge and Parry AC. Thus, the character, wearing a chain shirt that does not fit, must use the -3 Armor Check penalty on most throws, and he has a -2 penalty to his defense AC.

FITTING ARMOR

When Fit = 0, the armor is considered to be fitted, and no penalty applies. With most armors, the fit penalty can be avoided by adjusting the armor's straps and catches. This just takes some time trying on the armor, adjusting, then trying the armor on again to see if the adjustments are correct. Some armors, like chain and the quilted jerkin, require alteration to the armor itself, and therefore cannot be made on the spot normally.

Armors that are easily fitted include: Leather Jerkin, Brigandine Coat, Scale Corselet, or Scale Hauberk.

Armors that require alteration to fit properly include: Breastplate, Great Helm, Mail Shirt, Mail Hauberk, Quilted Jerkin, Steel Cap, Visored Helm.

GORE

One other thing to remember is that human beings are not pleasant sights after big holes have been ripped into them. Chain mail may be easy to clean, but armors like Leather and Quilted Jerkins will soak up blood and gore and probably be made useless just from that (and most armors use at least some leather). Employ appropriate smell and CHR penalties if a player insists his character wear armor where the gore cannot be cleaned appropriately. You may even want to consider disease.

As an arbitrary measure, consider that there is a 5% or 10% chance that the armor on a dead body will not be fouled completely with gore. Be a lot more lenient with helmets. Also, consider allowing a character to use the piecemeal armor rules from the Barbaric supplements in order to piece together armor from different sources.
    Last edited by Water Bob; 2014-06-28 at 12:11 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

-- CONAN IN A TOGA AND SCALE --

Here's a pic of Conan in what he might wear in Argos.

He wears a toga, but you can't see the top as it is covered by his armor. Note his bare arms. You can see the skirt of the toga flap around his legs.

Around his waist, he wears a horse-hair girdle. Conan must not have much money. I'm sure the girdle does its job, keeping his weapon belt from digging into his skin and cutting off the circulation. On his left hip, you can see part of the scabbard for the war sword he carries You can tell that the weapon is war sword not only by its sheer size but also by the hilt that is long enough to accommodate two-handed swings.

His feet, although you can't see them, are covered by heavy leather boots. He's tied cloth with leather straps up to his knees to act as stockings.

On his left wrist, he sports a brass bracer. It's not very long (some cover half of the forearm), which, again, tells me that Conan, in this pic, is low on coin. But, the bracer is hard metal, on his shield hand, that offers at least some protection against incoming thrusts of an enemy's blade.

On his right wrist, he has tied up leather straps. He may use the straps for armor maintenance and the like, but it serves a dual purpose soaking up sweat on his weapon hand--a slim measure to keep his weapon hilt dry during combat.

It looks like Conan, as he is known to do, has spent the majority of his coin on his main equipment--his sword and his armor. The base price for a war sword is 150 pieces of silver, no small sum. Conan prizes his weapon over armor, so that is where the Cimmerian would spend most of his wealth.

His armor is Argossean scale. Scale corselets like this are very popular among mercenaries. They start out around 100 silver pieces.

Note that Conan doesn't even have a coin purse, unless it hangs around his neck, under his armor, or fits on his weapon belt at the small of his back. The fact that Conan doesn't have a second weapon showing--which he always has when able--tells me that he can't afford a knife or dagger (maybe he has one attached to his boot).

Methinks that what wealth he has left, he is wearing: The thick earring hanging from his right lobe, the metal band around his left bicept, and to a lesser extent, the brass bracer on his left wrist. It is these things that he will trade when he bargains for ale or a stick of beef in the taverns of Messantia.

Game-stat wise:

The War Sword does 1d12 damage and a Critical Threat on a 19 or 20. Armor Piercing = 3.

The Scale Corselet protects him to the tune of Damage Reduction = 5. Maximum DEX bonus is +3. And, his speed is reduced to 25' per round (normally 30' per round) due to the restrictions of the armor.

The brass bracer, the earring, and the arm band are worth whatever can get for them. It depends on who he is selling them to, the circumstances of the trade, and Conan's skill at bargaining.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

-- DISGUISED THIEF --

The thief in this picture is totally functional and low budget.

That's a Ghanata Knife in his right hand. It's got a blade that is nearly two-feet long--commonly used by the tribesmen in the Southern Desert. His weapon wrist sports a makeshift bracer, simply made of cloth and wrapped with leather cord. This keeps sweat off his weapon hilt. But, if he needs to tie up someone, he'll shove the cloth in their mouths and bind their hands and feet with the leather cord. And, look at his waist...a grappling hook and rope. He goes barefoot in order to keep his steps silent.

You can see a leather jerkin poking out from under his clothes at his shoulder, but he wears baggy tunic and breeks. The breeks are tied at the calves with leather cord. From a distance, he looks like a generic commoner or peasant. And, that's what he wants. He wants to blend in. He wants no one to remember him.

His head is covered by a kafieh. The cloth that is normally used to keep sand out of his mouth on the desert he uses here to cover most of his face. Only his eyes can be seen.

You can't see it, but on his other hip, he has a large cloth loot bag. Now, it is folded in his weapon belt, but when it is filled, he'll pull the drawstring and swing it over his shoulder or tie it to his waist.

The most interesting thing about the thief shown below is that he is not from the southern desert lands. He's an Argossean, born and bred. Any town guard working off an eyewitness description will be searching for a Shemite that broke in and stole the goods.

GAME STATS:

Ghanata Knife does 1d8 damage and scores a Critical Threat on a natural 20. Criticals are x2 damage. Armor Piercing = 1. And, the knife can be thrown (10' increments).

Leather Jerkin has Damage Reduction 4, with maximum DEX bonus of +6. Speed is not hampered with the jerkin, so the thief moves at his base 30'.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground

-- RENZO, THE MARKET THIEF --

Renzo
    1st level Argossean Thief

Height: 5'7"
    Weight: 189 lbs.

STR: 13 (+1)
    CON: 10
    INT: 12 (+1)
    WIS: 8 (-1)
    CHA: 14 (+2)

HP: 4
    Fate: 1
    XP: 0
    Speed: 40

Parry: AC 11

Fort: +0
    Ref: +3
    Will: -1

BAB: +0
    Melee: +1
    Finesse: +2
    Ranged: +2

Code of Honor: None

LANGUAGES: Argossean (native), Shemitish, Zingaran, Stygian, Aquilonian, Kothic.

PROFECIENCY FEATS: Simple Weapon Proficiency (All), Martial Weapon Proficiency (Light and One-Handed only), Armor Proficiency (Light).

1st LEVEL FEAT: Fleet-Footed.

ABILITIES: Dispatching Blow* (Club), Trap Disarming.

*Dispatching Blow is an alternative from The Warrior's Companion. The thief takes Dispatching Blow in place of the normal Sneak Attack ability. Dispatching Blow works mechanically just like Sneak Attack, except that the extra damage with a specialized weapon is 1d10 (plus 1d10 per two Thief Levels). Non-specialized weapons do 1d6 extra damage. The Dispatching Blow cannot be used in flanks or when the thief has successfully snuck up on his target. It can only be used on the first round of combat when the thief has caught his opponent flat footed.)
    36 class skill points: 2 - Bluff, 4 - Climb, 4 - Jump, 2 - Open Lock, 4 - Slight of Hand, 2 - Move Silently, 4 - Hide, 4 - Spot, 4 - Tumble, 3 - Appraise, 3 - Decipher Script

Hyborian Adaptability: Tumble, Sleight of Hand

Hyborian Background Skills: Bluff, Open Lock, Escape Artist, Move Silently

CLASS SKILLS

+6 Bluff
    +5 Climb
    +6 Gather Information

+5 Jump
    +6 Open Lock
    +8 Sleight of Hand

+6 Move Silently
    +6 Hide
    +1 Search

+6 Balance
    +6 Use Rope
    +5 Knowledge (Local/Shaipur Region of Argos)

+8 Tumble
    +2 Diplomacy
    +2 Disguise

+4 Escape Artist
    +3 Spot
    -1 Listen

-1 Sense Motive
    +1 Profession (Sailor)
    +2 Perform

+4 Appraise
    +4 Decipher Script
    +1 Disable Device

+1 Forgery
    +2 Intimidate

CROSS-CLASS SKILLS

+0 Concentration
    +1 Craft (Alchemy)
    +2 Handle Animal

-1 Heal
    +1 Knowledge (Geography)
    +1 Knowledge (History)

+1 Knowledge (Religion)
    +2 Ride
    +1 Survival

+1 Swim

CLOTHING: Cheap leather shoes (but many times, he goes barefoot), ragged breeks (frayed just below the knees), and a homespun tunic. He does wear a maroon tebenna, which is frayed on the ends. Loincloth. Belt, and weapon belt. A single belt pouch is strapped to his belt.

Renzo does what he can to keep clean, as most Argosseans do, but often times Renzo has no place to wash. It is not unusual for him to smell, with his clothes quite dirty. But, he always cleans up his rags as best he can when he has the opportunity.

EQUIPMENT: Lacquered tree branch, cut as a club, with leather wrapped around the smaller end and a leather wrist strap. Renzo made this club himself, with the help of a smith he knows in town. The smith added metal rivets to make the branch more of a weapon. He ties the strap around his weapon belt to allow the club to hang from his waist, using a quick-pull knot.

Renzo's prized possession is a crossbow that he has stolen, and he's quite intrigued by the weapon. He's got a bolt quiver that hangs across his chest from a wide belt to where the quiver rests on his hip, making it easy to draw them quickly. The crossbow is cocked by placing a foot in the weapon's stirrup, then pulling the line back to its cocked position. Doing this often hurts Renzo's hands, and he's on the lookout for a loading lever, but those things are damn expensive. The crossbow is the nicest item Renzo has ever owned. When he's working around allies, he will prepare the crossbow, making it ready to fire, then leave it in a bazaar stall with a merchant friend. If trouble breaks out, Renzo has, as an option, the hidden crossbow, waiting for him to recover and use. The bolt quiver is small and only holds 10 bolts for the weapon.

Renzo has acquired some cheap, stiff, cowhide that has been fashioned into chest armor. Nothing about it looks fashionable at all, and anyone who sees it will recognize it as the cheapest kind of armor protection. But, the armor is stout enough to qualify as a leather jerkin. Renzo's friends, when they see him wearing the armor, know that he is working.

At this time, Renzo has no wealth in the form of coins, gems, or jewelry to speak of. In addition, Renzo, himself, has been victim to theft. Someone has stolen his set of thieves tools--tools that are very expensive and hard to come by. Renzo would very much like to find the thief who took them.

DESCRIPTION & BACKGROUND: Renzo is a street orphan who has grown up alone, fending for himself in the various towns of the Shaipur region of Argos. He has no home and sleeps where ever he can find a spot. He has become known to many merchants, and some have become his friends. They feed him or let him stay in the stable over night while he is in town. In return, Renzo will never rob these folks. In fact, he tries to target foreigners and travelers and those who bring their goods to market. Renzo's main trade is of that as a cut purse and pick pocket. He travels the cities of the Shaipur, always looking for appropriate targets. He will never take from those in dire need. Often times, he has gone hungry because of this.

Renzo has a slim build, but he looks like he's becoming a bit pudgy. He has bushy black hair and dark brown eyes. He can't grow a full beard, but he usually stubble or thin growth on his face. His mustache is quite thin. He shaves when he has the opportunity.

Suggested Play: When the PCs are in town, secretly allow Renzo to pick pocket them. If he's successful, don't draw attention to the NPC. Just let the players discover the lost equipment or wealth the next time that they reach for it. This could be hours or even days later. The players will have no idea how they lost the item.

Renzo will often follow foreigners around the Shaipur as they travel from city to city. He especially likes stalking merchant caravans this way. He won't follow them closely, though. He'll just note which road his targets took out of town, and Renzo will show up in that town a few hours later or the next day when the market opens. He'll wait around in the market until he sees his target, then go to work.

Recently, Renzo has worked out a routine with Kremm. Kremm causes a slight distraction--something just enough to get the target's attention. Sometimes, this means that Kremm engages the target in conversation. Other times, Kremm will start an argument with a close vendor within sight of the target. In game terms, Kremm's efforts distract the target of Renzo's pick pocket or cut purse attempt, giving the target a -5 penalty on his Spot check to detect Renzo's Slight of Hand attempt. Without Kremm's help, Renzo will sometimes bump into the target, excusing himself for the contact--and that is enough to distract the target (until the player catches on). Though this is a more dangerous method of Renzo plying his trade as the victims soon remember who bumped into them when items are discovered missing.

Hopefully, Renzo will be able to steal from the PCs at least twice before the players start noticing a pattern. If Renzo is ever caught, he'll flee. He's not a fighter. The character's Fleet-Footed Feat, plus his skills in Balance, Climb, and Jump, makes Renzo excellent at chases. If the PC catch Renzo, the PCs will have a grand old chase on their hands, busting through chicken coups, darting down narrow alleys between buildings, and jumping across roof tops. Remember that Renzo has been in these towns his entire life. He will know where all the quick hiding places are, making it seem as if he disappeared from the PC's grasp by magic. If in a town where Renzo has allies, some of the merchants, themselves, will help the thief elude any chasers.

The GM should play Renzo so that the character uses his full ability to elude the players. Renzo can even become a type of recurring villain (though Renzo is hardly a real villain). If caught, with no where to run, Renzo will try to use his high CHR and Bluff skill (or possibly, Diplomacy) to talk his way out of the situation. He'll even make deals to help the PCs in some way--maybe through information barter. Renzo will exchange what he knows for his life. Renzo will cry and beg and do whatever is needed to keep from being killed by the PCs (Remember the John Turturro begging scene in Miller's Crossing?). To play this correctly, the GM needs to pull out all the stops when roleplaying Renzo in order to make the PCs feel sorry for him.

Renzo, though he has made little out of himself, has spent his entire life in this region of Argos. He often travels from town to town, and he's become a good information source for those needing to know things. He can use this ability for the PCs. Renzo will bargain with it. Also, Renzo knows most of the elders in the towns. He's learned to sell them information. So, there are several ways that this character can be helpful to the party.
    Last edited by Water Bob; 2014-07-05 at 09:40 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

-- KREMM, THE STREET URCHIN --

Kremm
    1st level Argossean Commoner

Height: 5'9"
    Weight: 174 lbs.

STR: 11
    CON: 15 (+2)
    INT: 13 (+1)
    CHA: 13 (+1)

HP: 4
    Speed: 30

Parry: AC 10

Initiative: +2
    Fort: +2
    Ref: +2

Melee: +0

LANGUAGES: Argossean (native), Shemitish, Zingaran, Kush, Aquilonian, Kothic.

PROFECIENCY FEATS: Simple Weapon Proficiency (Argossean Dagger only).

The Argossean Dagger is listed in S&P, in the article The Dagger - Every Thief's Best Ally. The weapon costs 3 sp, does 1d4 damage, with a Critical Threat on 19-20/x2. Armor Piercing 1, that goes to zero if thrown more than 10 feet. Weapons HP: 2. Hardness: 10. Weight: 1 lb. It is a slashing and piercing weapon.

The Argossean Dagger is a version of the common dagger. The blade is thicker than normal for a dagger, and it is a perfect tool for cutting thick rope or sail cloth. Using this dagger grants a +1 equipment bonus to checks of the Profession skill for dockworkers, sailors, and shipwrights.
    ABILITY: Can wield a whip as if it were a Martial Weapon (but the character is not proficient with the weapon).

1st LEVEL FEAT: Simple Weapon Proficiency

12 class skill points: 2 - Literacy, 4 - Forgery, 4 - Hide, 2 - Climb

Hyborian Adaptability: Hide, Forgery

Hyborian Background Skills: Open Lock, Move Silently, Tumble, Intimidate

CLASS SKILLS

+2 Climb
    +1 Craft
    +1 Handle Animal

+0 Jump
    -1 Listen
    +5 Profession (Sailor)

+0 Ride
    -1 Spot
    +0 Swim

+6 Use Rope
    +8 Hide
    +7 Forgery

CROSS-CLASS SKILLS

+1 Bluff
    +5 Gather Information
    +4 Open Lock

+2 Sleight of Hand
    +4 Move Silently
    +1 Search

+6 Balance
    +5 Knowledge (Local/Argos Coast and Western Sea)
    +4 Tumble

+1 Diplomacy
    +2 Disguise
    +2 Escape Artist

-1 Sense Motive
    +1 Perform
    +1 Appraise

+1 Decipher Script
    +1 Disable Device
    +4 Intimidate

+0 Concentration
    +1 Craft (Alchemy)
    +2 Handle Animal

-1 Heal
    +1 Knowledge (Geography)
    +1 Knowledge (History)

+1 Knowledge (Religion)
    +2 Ride
    +1 Survival

+1 Swim

CLOTHING: Thread-bare blouse and faded silk breeks. Sandals. Braes. Waist sash. Belt and belt pouch, plus belt satchel. Square Cloth, wrapped around head. He will sometimes use the square cloth for other things: to muffle sound or to wrap up and carry loot.

EQUIPMENT: Leather bracers that provide DR 1 piece-meal armor protection. Argossean Knife, that he took from the ship; no scabbard. He rolls it in is waist sash. Sling, with 10 small rocks for ammunition (kept in the pouch on his belt). Renzo has imparted on Kremm the necessity of flight or fighting from a distance.

Kremm carries a full set of thieving tools in the belt satchel.

He keeps a coin purse tied to a leather throng around his neck, under his blouse. Currently, he has 5 sp.

DESCRIPTION & BACKGROUND: Kremm grew up not a slave, but the son of slaves, in the coastal cities of Argos. He is of Zingaran decent, but he knows nothing of that culture. He's a born and bread Argossean. He lived his early years as a street orphan before the captain of a merchant trading vessel lured him aboard. The captain taught him to read and write and used him to forge customs and trade documents. Kremm's crewmates taught him to use simple weapons. Though in a better place than on the streets alone, Kremm grew tired of life at sea. And, the captain used Kremm as slave labor even though Kremm was not, himself, a slave.

One night in port, Kremm jumped ship and never looked back. He headed into the interior of Argos, finding his way into the Shaipur province. There, he met Renzo, and though the thief would have little to do with him at first, Kremm idolized the man. The two of them had so much in common, and Renzo had made a life for himself. Kremm realized that he would learn much from the older man. Through sheer persistence on Kremm's part, the two have become friends, from Kremm's point of view, and uneasy acquaintances, from Renzo's position. Still, Renzo has shown Kremm a few things, and the two have worked together from time to time.

Though, still, Renzo will not allow Kremm to hang around him for long.

Unknown to Renzo, Kremm stole Renzo's prized set of thieving tools, just before they met. Renzo has asked, but Kremm swears to him that the tools are ones that he's always had. Kremm spends every chance he can get practicing his skill at opening locks. It is his intention to sell his ability to those looking for a person with such experience. Renzo has told him that Kremm's plan is a good way to get himself killed.
    Last edited by Water Bob; 2014-07-05 at 09:52 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

-- TYPICAL RAEZE REFUGEE --

Raeze is a town of some 1800 souls. Some left before the conflict between the Messantian forces and the Rhodin--the remants of Khalar Zym's cult followers. Many townsfolk died during the fighting. And, many have died in the plague as it has raised its angry head upon the town now some eighteen months after King Milo's forces defeated the Rhodin on the Plain of Bone and Marrow.

Word has spread among the remaining populace. A group of those still healthy are leaving. Those who heed this call must meet at the Lovers (the twin trees about an hour outside of town) on the following morn. The sick are not welcome, and any that do come will be left behind.

That next morning, more than 200 showed up. Some were turned away. The rest, just families and merchants, survivors and commoners, with all their worldly wealth on their backs, set off at a slow pace away from the town. They all believed that there was safety in numbers.

If stats are needed for a generic refugee, use the below. And to it, or change it up a bit, to reflect impromptu individual NPCs the player characters meet.

Raeze Townsfolk
    1st level Argossean Commoner

DEX: 9 (-1)
    CON: 12 (+1)
    CHA: 10

HP: 3
    Fate: 0

Parry: AC 10 (AC 9 when using Improvised Weapon)
    Dodge: AC 9

Initiative: -1
    Fort: +1
    Ref: -1
    Will: +0

Melee: +0 base / -4 with Improvised Weapon: 1d4 or 1d6, AP-
    Finesse: -1
    Ranged: -1

LANGUAGES: Argossean (native) This character is illiterate.

1st LEVEL FEAT: Skill Focus (for Craft or Handle Animal)
    BONUS FEAT: Skill Focus (Profession)

SKILLS

+7 Craft (or Handle Animal)
    +4 Knowledge (Local/Town of Raeze)
    +2 Perform

+7 Profession
    +2 Survival

+0 Listen
    +0 Spot

EQUIPMENT: Improvised Weapon that does 1d4 or 1d6 damage. AP -. And improvised weapon can be anything from a stick to a gardening hoe. NPC has simple clothing and appropriate clothes and equipment for their trade. Some NPC, for variety, can use knives or daggers, even a real Simple weapon, if the need ever arises.

The stats above represent the fighting men. Women, the elderly, and children will be weaker, but note that Mablo would not allow any children or older Raeze residents who would slow the procession down. All the refugees are able bodied with a minimum Speed 20 (due to carrying their property).

The mob of refugees are led by Mablo, formerly the Raeze wood merchant who also owned the only warehouses in town. His business has been completely ransacked and destroyed in the wake of the troubles in Raeze. It is he who will speak for the group, fire them up, and lead them away from the dying town.

Mablo Riconti
    3rd level Commoner/1st level Scholar

Race: Argossean
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: 201 lbs.

DEX: 10
    CON: 11
    INT: 13 (+1)
    CHA: 14 (+2)

HP: 10
    XP: 6,001

Parry: AC 11
    Dodge: AC 11

Initiative: +1
    Fort: +1
    Ref: +1
    Will: +4

BAB: +1
    Melee: +1 (+1 Dagger, 1d4, 19-20/x2, AP-
    Finesse: +1
    Ranged: +1

LANGUAGES: Argossean (native), Shemitish.

FEATS: Negotiator, Knowledgeable, Diligent, Persuasive.

ABILITIES: Scholar Background (Independent), Knowledge Is Power.

SKILLS

+10 Appraise
    +9 Bluff
    +3 Decipher Script

+9 Diplomacy
    +7 Gather Information
    +4 Intimidate

+8 Knowledge (Local/Raeze and surrounding area)
    +8 Knowledge (Rumors)
    +10 Sense Motive

+1 Listen
    +1 Spot

DESCRIPTION: Mablo has an ox pulled two-wheeled cart containing his most valuable belongings from his home, worth a base price of 126 sp. The cart also contains food, blankets, and other necessities. This is the only cart in the Refugee procession. Mablo rides the cart while all others walk. (Mablo's wife was killed during the fighting around Raeze.) Speed for the cart and ox is 2 miles per hour or 16 miles per day on a road.

The movement rate for the entire refugee group will be Speed 20.

Mablo carries a silver plated dagger, and he wears clothes worthy of a merchant of his stature (x10 to x15 base price).

Mablo employs the only fighting men in the entire group: Verrick, Rossi, and Nunzio. See below.

Spoiler
    Show
    MABLO, THE MERCHANT OF RAEZE

Last edited by Water Bob; 2014-07-06 at 10:09 AM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

-- VERRICK, ROSSI, and NUNZIO - HIREDSWORDS THREE --

Mablo has hired three swords to protect him on the journey leaving Raze. None of the three knew each other before this employment, and the three were hired at various times. Verrick is a tall, muscled man, and a true seasoned warrior. He's a survivor, and his heart is that of a true mercenary. His morality swings with the weight of coin paid him. Verrick doesn't like this current job. Although it's easy, he thinks it is beneath him. Mablo can trust him to a point, but if ever there is a way Verrick can see to abscond with the valuables in Mabo's cart without anyone knowing to damage his reputation, believe that Verrick will stick Mablo like a pig and never think twice about it. As it is, Verrick has just recently come into Mablo's employ, the last of the hiredswords recruited by the merchant. Easily, Verrick has become the defacto leader among the three hired swords, and Mablo treats him as such, referring orders and requests to Verrick first, who then supervises the other two.

Upon balking at the price to join the refugees: Verrick pulls his broadsword half way from its scabbard, exposing the top half of the blade, "You see that? That's steel. That's what is going to keep you safe on the road ahead. You think this is all the people to leave Raeze? I'll tell you boy, there's a lot of desperate people out there--people who would just as soon carve the skin from your bones just to get a drink of water." He slams the broadsword home back into its sheath. "And, I'll tell ya, boy. There's a lot of thirsty people out there--many of them thirsty for more than water. Now, is your miserable life worth a silver or two? If not, hit the road and try it alone, because you can't afford to walk with us."

Verrick
    2nd level Soldier / 2nd level Borderer

Height: 6'3"
    Weight: 221 lbs.

STR: 14 (+2)
    DEX: 12 (+1)

HP: 26
    XP: 6,001

Parry: AC 15

Fort: +6
    Ref: +3

BAB: +4
    Melee: +6
    Finesse: +5
    Ranged: +5

Broadsword: +6, 1d10+2, 19-20/x2, AP 6
    Shortsword: +6, 1d8+1, 19-20/x2, AP 2
    DR: 5

LANGUAGES: Argossean (native), Shemitish, Zingaran.

FEATS: Cleave, Mounted Combat, Parry, Power Attack, Spirited Charge, Track, Two-Weapon Defense, Two-weapon Combat.

ABILITY: Favored Terrain (Shaipur Province of Argos)

SKILLS

+1 Listen
    +5 Spot
    +5 Heal

+4 Intimidate
    +2 Knowledge (Geography)
    +2 Knowledge (Local/Shaipur Province of Argos)

+6 Knowledge (Warfare)
    +4 Ride
    +5 Survival

POSSESSIONS: Broadsword, shortsword, poinard, mail shirt, horse. 15 sp. Verrick will often scout ahead or to the flanks on his horse.

Mablo has promised Verrick a wage of 2 sp per day on top of the 10 sp paid as a down payment.

Nunzio and Rossi are paid 1 sp per day with a 5 sp down payment each.

Rossi
    2nd level Borderer

Height: 5'9"
    Weight: 188 lbs.

DEX: 13 (+1)
    CON: 11
    WIS: 9 (-1)

HP: 11
    XP: 1,001

Parry: AC 12 (AC 15 with Targe)

Initiative: +4
    Fort: +3
    Ref: +4

Melee: +3
    Finesse: +3
    Ranged: +3

Battleaxe: +3, 1d10+1, 20/x3, AP 5
    DR: 4

LANGUAGES: Argossean (native), Shemitish.

FEATS: Point Blank Shot, Stealthy, Track, Two-Weapon Defense, Two-Weapon Combat.

ABILITY: Favored Terrain (Shaipur Province of Argos)

SKILLS

+3 Listen
    +5 Spot
    +3 Handle Animal

+5 Hide
    +2 Knowledge (Local/Shaipur Province of Argos)
    +5 Move Silently

+5 Ride
    +3 Survival

POSSESSIONS: Simple clothing, leather jerkin, battleaxe, water costrel, targe, hand axe, dagger. 13 sp.

Nunzio
    2nd level Soldier

Weight: 174 lbs.

DEX: 10

HP: 13
    XP: 1,001

Parry: AC 13 (AC 16 with targe)
    Dodge: AC 11

Initiative: +0
    Fort: +4
    Ref: +0

Melee: +4

Shortsword: +4, 1d8+1, 19-20/x2, AP 2
    DR: 3

LANGUAGES: Argossean (native).

FEATS: Weapon Focus (Shortsword), Parry.

SKILLS

+0 Listen
    +0 Spot
    +6 Gather Information

+2 Intimidate
    +4 Knowledge (Local/Raeze)
    +2 Knowledge (warfare)

+6 Search
    +4 Sense Motive

POSSESSIONS: Nunzio has been with Mablo the longest, and he serves as the merchant's personal body guard. Nunzio is paid 1 sp per day, like Rossi, but unknown to either Rossi or Verrick, Mablo will kick back bonuses and privileges to Nunzio to ensure the guard's loyalty.

Simple clothing, quilted jerkin, shortsword, water costrel, targe, dagger. 14 sp.
    Last edited by Water Bob; 2014-07-06 at 03:07 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Orc in the Playground

-- ARNO RIZZ, aka Clink --

Arno Rizz
    1st level Argossean Thief

Weight: 168 lbs.

DEX: 16 (+3)
    CON: 16 (+3)
    INT: 14 (+2)
    CHA: 11

HP: 11
    Fate: 1 (or 4 if PC)

Parry: AC 10

Initiative: +5
    Fort: +3

Melee: +0
    Finesse: +3
    Ranged: +3

LANGUAGES: Argossean (native), Shemitish, Zingaran, Kothic.

PROFECIENCY FEATS: Simple Weapon Proficiency (All), Martial Weapon Proficiency (Light and One-Handed only), Armor Proficiency (Light).

1st LEVEL FEAT: Skill Focus (Open Lock).

ABILITIES: Sneak Attack (Poinard), Trap Disarming.

44 skill points: 2 - Open Lock, 2 - Disable Device, 2 - Appraise, 2 - Search, 4 - Hide, 4 - Move Silently, 2 - Gather Information, 4 -Tumble, 4 - Slight of Hand, 4 - Bluff, 4 - Climb, 4 - Jump, 2 - Balance, 4 - Escape Artist)

Hyborian Adaptability: Open Lock, Disable Device

Hyborian Background Skills: Open Lock, Disable Device, Appraise, Search

CLASS SKILLS

+8 Disable Device (+10 with tools)
    +7 Hide
    -1 Listen

+7 Move Silently
    +12 Open Lock (+14 with tools)
    +6 Search

+6 Appraise
    +9 Balance
    +4 Bluff

+4 Climb
    +2 Decipher Script
    +7 Escape Artist

+6 Gather Information
    +0 Intimidate
    +4 Jump

-1 Spot
    -1 Sense Motive
    +7 Slight of Hand

+7 Tumble
    +7 Use Rope
    +2 Craft (Herbalism)

+0 Diplomacy
    +0 Disguise
    +2 Forgery

+2 Knowledge (Arcana)
    +6 Knowledge (Local)
    +0 Knowledge (Nobility)

+0 Knowledge (Rumors)
    +0 Perform
    +3 Profession (Sailor)

CROSS-CLASS SKILLS

+0 Concentration
    +2 Craft (Alchemy)
    +0 Handle Animal

-1 Heal
    +2 Knowledge (Geography)
    +2 Knowledge (History)

+2 Knowledge (Religion)
    +3 Ride
    -1 Survival

+0 Swim

NOTES It's always good to have a spare character or two around, ready to go. I created this one quickly, using just the generic equipment choices from page 78 of 2E Conan. I've got a player who cannot commit to every game (and I'm the type of Ref that insists that every player show up--at least the main characters to the story--every game session, or nobody plays), so I created Arno with him in mind. The main players in the game are playing thieves, so I knew I'd create at least one extra thief. And, I specialized Arno in opening locks and disabling devices (thus, when you get to know Arno, people call him "Clink"). If the PCs need such a specialized NPC, the word that they will hear will be Arno. I can use him as a quick NPC.

If a player picks up and plays Arno, then I'll allow some small amount of changes and customization, if the player requests. Much depends on how much about Arno has been established in the game before-hand.

Equipment: I'm using the second generic equipment kit for thieves, which is... Master work thieves' tools, poinard, cloak, hood, doublet, breeches, work boots, hose, shirt and braes, costrel, belt, belt pouch, and kit bag. 4 sp.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Orc in the Playground

-- EIDORAN --

If you have the RUINS OF HYBORIA supplement, then you might notice an entry on page 28 that bespeaks of a ruin in Argos named Eidoran where followers of Mitra guard demons that have been cast in stone.

If you want to learn more about this place, read (now out of print) Marvel graphic novel from 1989 called, CONAN THE BARBARIAN in THE SKULL OF SET.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Water Bob; 2014-08-03 at 10:59 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

-- Map of the Hyborian Age --

Spoiler
    Show