New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary IV: Chrome and Punishment

New Comic.

Spoiler
    Show
    Looks like Internal Affairs has some method of not getting brain hacked. Also, I wonder how dangerous the IA chief is unarmed. He looks like some sort of polar bear or dog, go I'm guessing he is not harmless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Spoiler
    Show

Or, it could just be that he is a polar bear. It sounds their package did not work on other uplifts either. Also, he does not seem to have a tater. Just his claws and teeth.

3. - Top - End - #903
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Or, it could just be that he is a polar bear. It sounds their package did not work on other uplifts.
    Yeah, if you look in the seond pannel you can see one of the uplifts (some kind of lizard apparently) was shot down.

I'm sure polar chief is very badass but I doubt he's going to survive very long with claws in a deadly tatters fight.

I suspect protocl is remote explosion of the tatter.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

4. - Top - End - #904
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler
    Show
    I figure only JSC (whom I believe are the street cops) were issued taters and the taters are the only things spreading the blood nannies. Internal affairs wouldn't be infected. Plus it doesn't effect uplifts.

5. - Top - End - #905
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    New Comic.

Spoiler
    Show
    Looks like Internal Affairs has some method of not getting brain hacked. Also, I wonder how dangerous the IA chief is unarmed. He looks like some sort of polar bear or dog, go I'm guessing he is not harmless.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Polar Bears are about as far from not Harmless as a bear can get, from what I know the things are supposedly downright vicious and are the largest meat eating land based animal.

6. - Top - End - #906
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ryuplaneswalker View Post
    Polar Bears are about as far from not Harmless as a bear can get, from what I know the things are supposedly downright vicious and are the largest meat eating land based animal.
    I suspect that in this context, discussing what bear is the most dangerous is like discussing which F1 car is fastest. Yes, a white may be slightly more dangerous than a grizzly or a black, but I wouldn't want to enrage any bear, regardless of its position in the totem pole of power. Besides, the most important force multiplier is having been uplifted. Sure, the claws make him dangerous, but it is his brain that will make him deadly.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-12-19 at 09:05 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

7. - Top - End - #907
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    I suspect that in this context, discussing what bear is the most dangerous is like discussing which F1 car is fastest. Yes, a white may be slightly more dangerous than a grizzly or a black, but I wouldn't want to enrage any bear, regardless of its position in the totem pole of power. Besides, the most important force multiplier is having been uplifted. Sure, the claws make him dangerous, but it is his brain that will make him deadly.

Grey Wolf
    I think the real question is whether he's quick enough on the uptake to realize that he should already be using lethal force right now. Guns, claws, or taters, this is a Maxim 27 moment - don't be afraid to be the first to resort to violence. If he starts trying to do things like "investigate" or "make arrests," he's going to be on the wrong side of that particular maxim.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
    I think the real question is whether he's quick enough on the uptake to realize that he should already be using lethal force right now. Guns, claws, or taters, this is a Maxim 27 moment - don't be afraid to be the first to resort to violence. If he starts trying to do things like "investigate" or "make arrests," he's going to be on the wrong side of that particular maxim.
    Given the sophonts already resting in pieces around the room, I'm thinking it is way too late for him to be the first to resort to violence in this context, so Maxim 27 will only apply circumstantially. He has already lost his element of surprise, which doesn't bode well for him, and of course he is up against nanny-fueled, unsafe-tater wielding opponents. What is the maxim for running away when you are utterly outmatched so you can go find a way to switch the odds in your favour?

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

9. - Top - End - #909
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    I suspect that in this context, discussing what bear is the most dangerous is like discussing which F1 car is fastest.
    Respectfully, no. It's like which is fastest, an F1 Car, or an F16?

Polar Bears have evolved a lot even though the break wasn't that long ago. The shape of the head of a polar bear is different, it's not half (not two thirds?) as wide as a grizzly/brown. The Kodiak bear is a grizzly, more or less, and it's bigger, apparently, but as dangerous as a polar bear? There is no herbiage that a bear can eat at the pole.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

10. - Top - End - #910
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Respectfully, no. It's like which is fastest, an F1 Car, or an F16?

Polar Bears have evolved a lot even though the break wasn't that long ago. The shape of the head of a polar bear is different, it's not half (not two thirds?) as wide as a grizzly/brown. The Kodiak bear is a grizzly, more or less, and it's bigger, apparently, but as dangerous as a polar bear? There is no herbiage that a bear can eat at the pole.
    I'm sorry, isn't the question here a qualitative assessment about the ability of an uplifted bear to rend a human limb by limb? Does it matter if he's a Kodiak or a polar bear? It seems irrelevant.

11. - Top - End - #911
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    I'm sorry, isn't the question here a qualitative assessment about the ability of an uplifted bear to rend a human limb by limb? Does it matter if he's a Kodiak or a polar bear? It seems irrelevant.
    An uplifted bear versus an augmented human? Which bear should matter (The red panda is barely a bear, and would give a normal adult human no trouble). Though if the augmentation is primarily stealth, maybe not so much. Equally if the augmentation is primarily combat, maybe no bear stands any chance at all.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2014-12-19 at 05:48 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

12. - Top - End - #912
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

There are so many potentially interesting upliftees:

Cephalopods,
    Ursoids,
    Cetaceans,
    Canines,
    Felids,
    Elephants,
    Hippos,
    Horses,
    Mantis shrimp,
    Ophidia,

Mixed species humans,
    Last edited by halfeye; 2014-12-19 at 05:56 PM.

13. - Top - End - #913

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    There are so many potentially interesting upliftees:

Cephalopods,
    Ursoids,
    Cetaceans,
    Canines,
    Felids,
    Elephants,
    Hippos,
    Horses,
    Mantis shrimp,
    Ophidia,

Mixed species humans,
    So far we have seen 3 species of primate (Orangutang, Gorilla, Chimpanzee), both African and Asian elephants, and a polar bear (though earlier I thought he was a dog). Any other uplifts of confirmed Terrestrial origin that we have seen?
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

14. - Top - End - #914
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

So far we have seen 3 species of primate (Orangutang, Gorilla, Chimpanzee), both African and Asian elephants, and a polar bear (though earlier I thought he was a dog). Any other uplifts of confirmed Terrestrial origin that we have seen?
    Dunno, I don't really care, that's more for the real world than this imaginary one. There are places (deep oceans, ?) that intelligences could be hiding from us. Uplifting the unitelligent would be a second choice, but in the long run I think if we last that long we'll do it.

15. - Top - End - #915
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm pretty sure that when the neutered Lazarus nannies were leaked, it was two uplifted sophonts rushing to break the news. Something that travels in pods. Dolphins, maybe.
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2014-12-19 at 06:42 PM.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

16. - Top - End - #916
    Ogre in the Playground

The undersecretary they originaly met was an octopus (or a squid): http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2014-07-13

And the latest page has something that looks like a lizard uplift on the floor.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

17. - Top - End - #917
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    I'm pretty sure that when the neutered Lazarus nannies were leaked, it was two uplifted sophonts rushing to break the news. Something that travels in pods. Dolphins, maybe.
    The Doctor mentioned that Dolphins were uplifted back during the Accidental tourist arc, so Dolphins are a distinct possibility.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

18. - Top - End - #918
    Titan in the Playground

So humanity has gone on a uplift rampage..?

And the Captain is bringing claws to a gunfight..? I at least considder his arrogance suicidedal stupid.. he is action like he is immune to getting stunned by the tater and brained by a nearby chair.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

19. - Top - End - #919
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    So humanity has gone on a uplift rampage..?

And the Captain is bringing claws to a gunfight..? I at least considder his arrogance suicidedal stupid.. he is action like he is immune to getting stunned by the tater and brained by a nearby chair.
    If anything, i would expect him to be ideally suited to this fight even against lethal munitions. Whatever mad scientist uplifed a Bear probably gave him a razor-wire coat and Carbonan hide along with diamond claws and teeth, but bears are not the same as other uplifts, where most of them tended to evolve intelligence for safety. Bears are not stupid, but they certainly didnt pick cunning over being badass.

If someone uplifted a Wolverine or Badger, i would expect it to include an organic Mortar
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

20. - Top - End - #920

Quote Originally Posted by toapat View Post
    If anything, i would expect him to be ideally suited to this fight even against lethal munitions. Whatever mad scientist uplifed a Bear probably gave him a razor-wire coat and Carbonan hide along with diamond claws and teeth, but bears are not the same as other uplifts, where most of them tended to evolve intelligence for safety. Bears are not stupid, but they certainly didnt pick cunning over being badass.

If someone uplifted a Wolverine or Badger, i would expect it to include an organic Mortar
    I doubt that our bear has any resistances as a result of uplifting. As a result of whatever soldier boosts he received, however, he probably is pretty bullet proof.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

21. - Top - End - #921
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Spoiler: New comic
    Show
    So a new (?) admiral is declaring martial law and doing something useful. I feel like I should be rooting for him, but I'm also suspicious.
    Fallen London: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Acliabides

Quote Originally Posted by Fibinachi View Post
    Raxtel would like to quick-draw his grapnel and line gun and try to reel in Sarge like some particularly authoritive fish before we lose him in the middle of the rebel infested, colder-than-space tundra.
    Only War Jungle of Sin: Darrien Holt

22. - Top - End - #922

Quote Originally Posted by Demon 997 View Post
    Spoiler: New comic
    Show
    So a new (?) admiral is declaring martial law and doing something useful. I feel like I should be rooting for him, but I'm also suspicious.
    I'd be suspicious too except that it's to get rid of a very urgent threat without creating a big mess afterwards. That says to me that he's smart as well.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

23. - Top - End - #923
    Titan in the Playground

I doubt that our bear has any resistances as a result of uplifting. As a result of whatever soldier boosts he received, however, he probably is pretty bullet proof.
    I dont think anything short of Laz'r'us boosts offer any noticeable proofing against bullets.

Remember the toughts are also all illegally boosted, but that has not done much besides giving them a high pain tolerance and a increase in size.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

24. - Top - End - #924
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    I'd be suspicious too except that it's to get rid of a very urgent threat without creating a big mess afterwards. That says to me that he's smart as well.
    He's in charge of LEO Command. "Kessler Cascade" will be the phrase he wakes up screaming from his worst nightmares. Right now, assuming that he's not actually been suborned by the bad guys, he's doing his job and doing it right. He probably is smart, but frankly, he's also probably rehearsed something like this moment a hundred times with his staff and AIs; the biggest danger is that the bad guys know exactly what he's going to do - because he doesn't have many choices - and factored it into their own plans.
    Last edited by Discus-Spinner; 2014-12-21 at 06:56 AM.
    Spinnin' that Disc...

25. - Top - End - #925
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Surprised people missed this. It seems that the Battleplates DO have a big gun on the front.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

26. - Top - End - #926
    Troll in the Playground

So how many parsecs do you figure the average kessler run is?
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

27. - Top - End - #927

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    So how many parsecs do you figure the average kessler run is?
    "no aspect of those passes was measured in parsecs"
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

28. - Top - End - #928
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    I dont think anything short of Laz'r'us boosts offer any noticeable proofing against bullets.
    Diamond Beetles were in the first Schlocktoberfest, so there is absolutely a source for splicing diamond growth algorithms into a creature's DNA. Also remember that the toughs have, while illegal, extremely out of date soldier boost firmware. The original supersoldier package was less useful to the project as a whole, as the package that Haban got is nowhere near as useful in a broad sense when compared to what the 3rd?+ era supersoldier (probably 5th era) did on Osiri. Pooping plastique explosives isnt nearly as impressive as being able to punch through and growing your own tank armor
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

29. - Top - End - #929
    Troll in the Playground

Is this polar bear slow on the uptake, or what? It's pretty obvious that this isn't a situation for standing around talking, and yet here he is, standing around talking. Sheesh.

Also, what is the sudden rash of spoilers in this thread about?
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

30. - Top - End - #930
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by toapat View Post
    Diamond Beetles were in the first Schlocktoberfest, so there is absolutely a source for splicing diamond growth algorithms into a creature's DNA. Also remember that the toughs have, while illegal, extremely out of date soldier boost firmware. The original supersoldier package was less useful to the project as a whole, as the package that Haban got is nowhere near as useful in a broad sense when compared to what the 3rd?+ era supersoldier (probably 5th era) did on Osiri. Pooping plastique explosives isnt nearly as impressive as being able to punch through and growing your own tank armor
    No, but it can be more effective if used right. I would rather my poop go boom than get turned into a ken doll.