New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary IV: Chrome and Punishment

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Speaking of Bala-Amin, her favor in my eyes continues to grow.
    Today's strip has actually lessened her somewhat in my eyes, because she's pretty much saying to Em, "Kill someone in a fracas that involves the diplomats and they'll be arrested for you"--that's pretty darned cold.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

She's not exactly cuddly, no. She's another apparatchik. But Em, or someone on her staff, would likely have worked that trick out anyway, sooner or later - and so, for that matter, should the Toughs. And it's not like she owes the Toughs anything; she knows that they're a bunch of hired guns who apparently do black ops for the intelligence mob, and who've been pretty insufferably smart-arsed at herself and her people. This just gets everyone off her neck a bit sooner, and lets you and them fight, may be the best goon win.
    Spinnin' that Disc...

3. - Top - End - #273
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Today's strip has actually lessened her somewhat in my eyes, because she's pretty much saying to Em, "Kill someone in a fracas that involves the diplomats and they'll be arrested for you"--that's pretty darned cold.
    How many people do you suppose get to a high rank in a field like that without learning how to be cold? My guess is "none, ever." It just goes with the territory.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

4. - Top - End - #274
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well, it remains to be seen if the Toughs will go anywhere near the Fracas. Did anyone see if they were visiting any sort of mountain at all?

5. - Top - End - #275
    Bugbear in the Playground

I read it more as, "if they're lethal criminals (which is the only thing I care about), then they're going to be arrested sooner or later." Oh, if only she knew...
    Last edited by Thomar_of_Uointer; 2014-04-29 at 10:56 AM.
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

6. - Top - End - #276
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thomar_of_Uointer View Post
    I read it more as, "if they're lethal criminals (which is the only thing I care about), then they're going to be arrested sooner or later." Oh, if only she knew...

I'm reminded of the discussion on the finer points of context versus subtext in a seemingly straightforward conversation.
    "With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

-RFC 1925

7. - Top - End - #277
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thomar_of_Uointer View Post
    While they are both lethal and criminals, the toughs aren't so much lethal criminals are they?
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Orc in the Playground

You know, I wonder if the danger of civil war being referred to recently is the same one being discussed by TAG back in the day. If so, Howard's been planning this arc for a long time.
    "With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

-RFC 1925

9. - Top - End - #279

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius Twist View Post
    You know, I wonder if the danger of civil war being referred to recently is the same one being discussed by TAG back in the day. If so, Howard's been planning this arc for a long time.
    There's a knowing glance at the end there between the two reps (one of whom is, I believe, a very intelligent admiral). Of course, Petey later admits that he gave them the idea in the first place. If we do see a civil war we're likely to see lots of characters from earlier in the comic, and we probably won't know how the factions are divided until the very end.

Also, that trial is the perfect example of why the UNS is afraid of Petey. He has enough dirt on the UNS's top brass to start a civil war, and he's not afraid to use it for the sake of his war with Andromeda. Public knowledge of Redhack alone could bring the UNS to its knees, and I'm sure Petey has plenty more besides that which the readers aren't aware of.
    Last edited by Thomar_of_Uointer; 2014-04-29 at 12:56 PM.
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

10. - Top - End - #280

I am wondering what sort of civil war we are talking about. Would it be systems vs. systems (Region-based), central vs. regions (a la Serenityverse), or services vs. services (Intelligence vs. Navy?)

11. - Top - End - #281

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    I am wondering what sort of civil war we are talking about. Would it be systems vs. systems (Region-based), central vs. regions (a la Serenityverse), or services vs. services (Intelligence vs. Navy?)
    Judging from the current few comics, it would likely start out as services versus service. Of course, after a few years each surviving faction will have used TAD to claim certain regions of space, at which point the UNS will be fragmented into several regional governments which all hate each other. It's likely that Sol system, due to its rich infrastructure, will be its own region, and the exterior regions will likely be so fragmented that their only hope of protecting themselves is banding together against Sol.

It's mentioned in the Ob'enn chapters that the Ob'enn's mortal enemies used the teraport technology to evacuate their entire planet. It's highly likely that smart governments and polities will try this in order to escape the civil war. A space station that maintains a large Very Dangerous Array and random-walk teraports between stars would be nigh-impossible to find, but would also be host to numerous problems that a larger government would normally not have to deal with. Maybe that kind of disapora could be the focus of later chapters after the civil war ends.
    Last edited by Thomar_of_Uointer; 2014-04-29 at 01:02 PM.
    I make games.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius Twist View Post
    Wouldn't surprise me, we've been seeing a lot of small indications that the UNS has several factions that are probably working at cross purposes or just pragmatic-but-reasonably-pleasant people getting fed up with the unabashedly-evil people who seem to keep forcing their way to the top.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ettin in the Playground

It isn't clear if the situation's one involving "several factions" as it is "one body politic that has an extremely virulent tumor that's liable to explode any day now." The latter tends to produce exceptionally nasty civil wars compared to the former, at least in fiction.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New Comic. Looks like everything depends on Schlock not causing a fracas.

I'll be over here. Behind the lead pillar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

15. - Top - End - #285

I'll be over here. Behind the lead pillar.
    You do know the melting and vaporization temperatures of lead, right?
    Last edited by Thomar_of_Uointer; 2014-04-29 at 10:36 PM.
    I make games.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Orc in the Playground

Aaaaand now I don't like the general at all anymore. She's like Emm, but even more cunning and effective.

17. - Top - End - #287

Quote Originally Posted by Wayson View Post
    Aaaaand now I don't like the general at all anymore. She's like Emm, but even more cunning and effective.
    I dunno, she hasn't planned out or ordered the murder of a bunch of people yet. She's just assuming/letting a problem naturally happen while smoothing things over with the nastier side of the UNS.

At least, that's how I see it.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Doesn't stop her being slimy as all heck. If she cared one jot about the lives of the people she's supposedly trying to protect, wouldn't she be warning the local authorities about Schlock rather than sitting back and waiting for the fireworks?

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

Doesn't stop her being slimy as all heck. If she cared one jot about the lives of the people she's supposedly trying to protect, wouldn't she be warning the local authorities about Schlock rather than sitting back and waiting for the fireworks?
    Given Howard's political sensibilities, I think it is very unlikely that you will ever find someone who has to deal with politics at a high level who isn't self-serving and slimy.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    Given Howard's political sensibilities, I think it is very unlikely that you will ever find someone who has to deal with politics at a high level who isn't self-serving and slimy.
    I dunno, Petey is rather straightforward and reasonably moral. Still self-serving, of course, but he's quite honest about it.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

(a) If the Sol System police have any kind of computer network at all, the presence of Schlock on the same planet will put up large red flags automatically by now. They won't need any prompting from the military.

(b) The General is stuck in a political-diplomatic post. Her job isn't playing cops, it's protecting the population of Sol System by not getting them into interstellar wars. When someone turns up with solid diplomatic credentials, implicitly backed by the Fleetmind, she's got to let them through. Okay, so she's got Schlock's number - but if she goes round explicitly alerting local cops to the presence of a sociopath with a fusion gun, word of that warning may very possibly get back to the people they're being warned against. That in itself is a diplomatic incident waiting to happen - precisely the sort of thing she's supposed to prevent.

In that sense, she could feel stuck between a rock and a hard place - but the slimeballs in the intelligence section may just have solved her problem for her. If they are watching Schlock while looking for an excuse to sweep him up, at least somebody who's accustomed to operating secretly will be on alert with appropriate resources to resolve the problem reasonably quickly and efficiently, and with little risk of things being traced back to the diplomatic corps if it all goes pear-shaped.

It's not a perfect solution, but it may be the best she's got.
    Last edited by Discus-Spinner; 2014-04-30 at 03:54 AM.
    Spinnin' that Disc...

22. - Top - End - #292
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I wonder though. What is Schlock's mission? What if it's not what everyone is assuming it is?
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

Knowing Petey, Schlock's mission is to be a distraction for all the intelligence agencies while everyone else does the real legwork.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    Knowing Petey, Schlock's mission is to be a distraction for all the intelligence agencies while everyone else does the real legwork.
    That does sound like something Petey would think up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

25. - Top - End - #295

"His Thing" is one of those "the less you know about it, the happier you'll be" kind of things.

That goes double for Petey. Once because it's true to begin with, and once because it makes him happy too.
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Troll in the Playground

If it's Petey we're talking abbout, it the first layer of deception in a plan six layers deep and four wide.
    Truth resists simplicity.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler: Huh.
    Show
    But what is he stuck on/to in there?

28. - Top - End - #298

Quote Originally Posted by Feddlefew View Post
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's a weapon designed to contain a focus fusing plasma. He's a carbo-siicate amorph, evolved for a memory storage system that had to be contained by something. I expect there's all kinds of gravitic fields even in idle mode (if only to keep it from frying the user) that could intefere with his shape-shifting.

Plus one of his "specialized organs" is hanging out the side, and he's been known before to go to some lengths to protect those.

ETA: Also, "That's gotta hurt!"
    Last edited by ChowGuy; 2014-04-30 at 09:34 PM.
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feddlefew View Post
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Presumably, he managed to push his eye through a tight squeeze, and can't manage the needed force to pull it back out. Though if he was a clever monkey he could just push it back through the hole where it's power supply would be sitting.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

30. - Top - End - #300

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Presumably, he managed to push his eye through a tight squeeze, and can't manage the needed force to pull it back out. Though if he was a clever monkey he could just push it back through the hole where it's power supply would be sitting.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Try not to blink"

Obviously you've never had a child, kitten, or other dumb animal get his head stuck in someting he can't get it back out of without injury. Schlock's eyes, unlike the rest of him, are not made of silly putty. They're neither indestructible nor so far as we've seen particularly malleable. He's not going to want to risk puncturing or tearing one.