New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary IV: Chrome and Punishment

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    Strictly speaking, cold and vacuum killed him, all the fall did was leave him disoriented and splattered (and thus preventing him from doing the previously seen trick of folding up into a ball to minimize surface area).
    He can survive in a vacuum quite easily, we've seen that before. It was the impact with the station roof that killed him--yes, he could have been brought back if he hadn't got too cold there, but if he'd still been alive he could have pulled himself back together.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Troll in the Playground

It's also worth mentioning that he fell thousands of feet that time, versus dozens here.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

3. - Top - End - #453
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    It's also worth mentioning that he fell thousands of feet that time, versus dozens here.
    At a very high gravity.
    Not air resistance.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    At a very high gravity.
    Not air resistance.
    What does that have to do with it?
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

5. - Top - End - #455

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    He can survive in a vacuum quite easily, we've seen that before. It was the impact with the station roof that killed him--yes, he could have been brought back if he hadn't got too cold there, but if he'd still been alive he could have pulled himself back together.
    He can survive vacuum and cold when he's got time/preparation to do so. Vacuum survival and cold survival What part of "disoriented and splattered" do you think would allow him that time to prepare? Stunning him makes him vulnerable to other things as was shown by katheryn.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Titan in the Playground

Speaking of... did someone just blow up Schlock? Can you guys give me a rundown of plausible causes? They'd need to know where he was going to be, and have a motive to stop him from contacting Breya, for one. And would not mind making a spectacle of the attempt.

Thanks,

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

7. - Top - End - #457

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    What does that have to do with it?
    Makes Schlock's fall even worse if he's never slowed down by his own air resistance.

He is currently in a living environment, with plenty of atmosphere. He can just glide wherever he feels like, no matter the height of his fall. He couldn't do it on Oisiris.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Bugbear in the Playground

At a very high gravity.
    Not air resistance.
    Nine-point-one-one-four meters per second isn't "very high gravity" (Earth is nine-point-eight). I'll grant though you without air resistance his terminal (impact) velocity would have been higher, but free falling six kilometers on Earth wouldn't have been much better. Or even Luna. And he knows it.

He hadn't planned on free falling all way though, just realized too late the exo-suit had no flight capability. Still, if his plasgun hadn't needed air to recycle, he would have made it intact, and a plasgun has been used to fly in vacuum before.

This one just ran out to soon. Which is why his new plasgun has an annie plant attached. Sometimes.

Not unlike Kevyn, He's impulsive, but not as stupid as he acts. Somtimes.
    Last edited by ChowGuy; 2014-07-19 at 03:05 AM.
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Are you ever reading a strip and left wondering if you somehow missed one, or if the author uploaded them in the wrong order? Where the heck did that explosion come from? (Note that there's both blood and bits of Schlock on whatsername's uniform, which implies the explosion was behind the cop who was talking to Schlock earlier--maybe his own gun exploded somehow?).

10. - Top - End - #460
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

BooM?

Explosion don't really harm Schlock and he isn't packing any weapons (for once). The fire might do some damage.

Spoiler: undefined
    Show
    The people he was looking to meet might have been the ones to blow him up.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

11. - Top - End - #461

Quote Originally Posted by ChowGuy View Post
    Nine-point-one-one-four meters per second isn't "very high gravity" (Earth is nine-point-eight). I'll grant though you without air resistance his terminal (impact) velocity would have been higher, but free falling six kilometers on Earth wouldn't have been much better. Or even Luna. And he knows it.

He hadn't planned on free falling all way though, just realized too late the exo-suit had no flight capability. Still, if his plasgun hadn't needed air to recycle, he would have made it intact, and a plasgun has been used to fly in vacuum before.

This one just ran out to soon. Which is why his new plasgun has an annie plant attached. Sometimes.

Not unlike Kevyn, He's impulsive, but not as stupid as he acts. Somtimes.
    Yhea, sorry about the gravity bit. I just remembered that Oisiris was supposed to be super-gravity, and something prevented everybody from being crushed to death, and I assumed it was only in the installation.

It was Oisiris itself..

12. - Top - End - #462

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    BooM?
    And it looks like a fairly big one...
    Spoiler
    Show

I guess, someone remote-detonated the 'potatoe' on the back of that ape-policeman
    -HaJo

FLW: Oh, no. We're being rescued. How embarrassing!

13. - Top - End - #463

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Speaking of... did someone just blow up Schlock? Can you guys give me a rundown of plausible causes? They'd need to know where he was going to be, and have a motive to stop him from contacting Breya, for one. And would not mind making a spectacle of the attempt.

Thanks,

Grey Wolf
    • Ordinance launched from one of the overlooking walkways.
    • Hacked into the police officer's potato and made it self-destruct.
    • Suicide bomber walking in the crowd.
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

14. - Top - End - #464
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I think Schlock's problem on Osiris was that he was scattered somewhere really cold - we know that his contact patch can be frozen off, and when splatted in tiny pieces across a cold, heat-conductive metal surface just about all of him would have been 'contact patch'.

He can survive cold if he's kept from direct contact with the ground, and probably quite a while even if he's touching it when he's in more normal shape with less surface area-volume. Perhaps he could grow some stilts to mostly keep him off the surface? Even being scattered in vacuum would probably be alright, because he'd only lose heat by radiation.
    Last edited by FLHerne; 2014-07-21 at 03:22 AM.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Are you ever reading a strip and left wondering if you somehow missed one, or if the author uploaded them in the wrong order? Where the heck did that explosion come from? (Note that there's both blood and bits of Schlock on whatsername's uniform, which implies the explosion was behind the cop who was talking to Schlock earlier--maybe his own gun exploded somehow?).
    Yeah, I've had that feeling a few times in the last year or so. Book 8 did the same "playing with narrative structure" thing, but it seemed more obvious then. Schlock's death on Osiri, the ending (or whatever exactly happened) in the middle of the current arc, and now this explosion. I _think_ its just Howard Tayler deliberately playing games with narrative structure and reader perspective. In the case of Schlock's death, it certainly was appropriate. And he's a good enough writer that I'm quite happy to "wait and see" how it goes.

16. - Top - End - #466

I like that woman

17. - Top - End - #467
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by runeghost View Post
    Yeah, I've had that feeling a few times in the last year or so. Book 8 did the same "playing with narrative structure" thing, but it seemed more obvious then. Schlock's death on Osiri, the ending (or whatever exactly happened) in the middle of the current arc, and now this explosion. I _think_ its just Howard Tayler deliberately playing games with narrative structure and reader perspective. In the case of Schlock's death, it certainly was appropriate. And he's a good enough writer that I'm quite happy to "wait and see" how it goes.
    He's been doing a lot with the theme of transplanted, reconstructed, or replaced identities lately. I wonder whether it's just part of each story's plot, or building up to something bigger.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Pretty sure this explosion signifies Charlie's first steps of the Foxtrot reel...
    "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "What's the worst thing that could happen?"
    - Maxim 14 of the Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries. From Schlock Mercenary by Howard Tayler.

19. - Top - End - #469

Quote Originally Posted by Thalnawr View Post
    Pretty sure this explosion signifies Charlie's first steps of the Foxtrot reel...
    But who is his partner? And now that the excrement shaped sophont has hit the mine, who will get spattered? And how much of schlock will be left? Last time he was in a violent explosion, he lost his appetite and became somewhat more violence happy than normal.

Edit: Looks like the Captain owes everybody a drink.

Also, what are the odds that this makes our doppleganger's plan doomed to failure?
    Last edited by Rockphed; 2014-07-27 at 09:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

20. - Top - End - #470

One of the Nightstar forum-goers summed it up like this:

That's OK Kowalski, I'm sure Elf and the Toughs will be along shortly to pour petrol on the smoldering embers of the fire that Sorlie and Breya have so nearly snuffed out.
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

21. - Top - End - #471

Aha! Haley! I knew there was a reason I liked Sorlie! (Even if she is a spy )
    Last edited by ChowGuy; 2014-07-29 at 08:27 PM.
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by ChowGuy View Post
    Aha! Haley! I knew there was a reason I liked Sorlie! (Even if she is a spy )
    can you really call somebody a "Spy" when there are no secrets being kept?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

23. - Top - End - #473

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    can you really call somebody a "Spy" when there are no secrets being kept?
    "Nothing to hide" maybe, but there are things which are hidden. The difference is pretty significant. (And I didn't say she was a particularly good spy.)

24. - Top - End - #474

I sometimes find Schlock quite adorable for a big moving green pile.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Dwarf in the Playground

So the actual message was, "we have the box; we need Pandora", right?

26. - Top - End - #476
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Ialdabaoth View Post
    Presumably, which means the Toughs want Breya to...release the information they now have to the Galaxy..thus throwing it into the

SECOND galactic Civil war that has been directly caused by the toughs, along with a Pan-Galactic War. Tagon might be going to the bad place just based on the amount of indirect deaths he has caused.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ladies and gentlemen, what are the odds that everyone's favorite MadKow just so happened to pick up a chunk of Schlock which just so happens to contain a fragment of the message?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

28. - Top - End - #478

I cannot remember what or who Pandora might be?

Breya herself?

29. - Top - End - #479
    Troll in the Playground

I cannot remember what or who Pandora might be?

Breya herself?
    It's a metaphore. They have information that will stir up big trouble, but they need someone to actually reveal it. You do remember the mythological Pandora and the box she was given?
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

30. - Top - End - #480

Quote Originally Posted by Ialdabaoth View Post
    More precisely, "we need a Pandora". They're not referring to someone or something in particular with such a codename, but to someone or something that could serve the role of opening the box.

See also the "we have nothing to hide, but we have something hidden". Also, Emm knows about it.

They have a big reveal to do, and it's being built up to be Teraport Wars-level stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!