New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary IV: Chrome and Punishment

I am sad by the latest strip.

Spoiler: Really not sure if I should spoiler tag this.
    Show
    I would have loved to see the younger Tagon as Commodore.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2014-03-15 at 01:27 AM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Welp, that's the end of that, I suppose. I genuinely wonder why Howard felt the need to wrap up this story with such indecent haste--was he getting bored with the can full of sky, or something? Running out of pages, maybe?

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well, I guess that torpedoes the "virtual reality hell in which the cast is trapped" scenario. And Tagon is actually selling most of the fleet, though I guess that's fair given that even at their largest, they'd have had a hard time crewing it.

Does seem a bit abrupt, but... I guess? Wonder what the new book will focus on.
    "Simon Ten Broek loves to draw attention;
    Simon Ten Broek spent years in bleak detention;
    Simon Ten Broek, with crimes too vile to mention;
    Simon Ten Broek won't live to see his pension."

10:07 PM [Matthias] And the Kohr-Ah are all "GIT THEM DUKE BOYS!"

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

This really strikes me as PART ONE of a multi-book story.
    3DS Friend Code: 3067-5674-0852. Currently running: Emerald.

Latias, Groudon, Rayquaza, Kyogre promised to JustPlayItLoud for a shiny Gastly, Gulpin, Frogadier, and Dedenne. Regirock, Regice, Registeel up for grabs.

Spoiler: Living Shinydex Progress 31/718 Newest Shiny: Buneary
    Show
    Gen I: 9/151
    Gen II: 6/100
    Gen III: 7/135
    Gen IV: 3/107
    Gen V: 3/156
    Gen VI: 2/69

Come visit World's Finest Gaming on Tumblr or Facebook or even our Youtube channel and watch me stream!

5. - Top - End - #65
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Loreweaver15 View Post
    Nah. Each books deeply delve into their backstory, that's what makes this webcomic so great.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Loreweaver15 View Post
    Yeah, I think that as well. This seems to be more part of something larger rather than a full story itself.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

7. - Top - End - #67

The overall plot has been building up for a long time. can't wait to actually get back to the bloody Andromedan war.

I mean, there's an inter-galactic war going on for the past 5 books, and it happens offscreen. Worse, we are learning that Petey is LOSING IT?

But there's Credomar. And quite a few other elements added that I suspect will turn out to be critical to the overall plot.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

The influx of oafan ships and new old intel will help, petey is highly undergunned.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #69

Quote Originally Posted by Fjolnir View Post
    The influx of oafan ships and new old intel will help, petey is highly undergunned.
    10 to 1 in term of energy production. And its enemies like to blow-up stars.

I think we overshot "undergunned", and are now in "desperate situation". Even if Petey has the intelligence/tactic advantage (which I believe it has, it's a single hivemind not being The Borg, after all), he must be breaking everything just to remain even.

10. - Top - End - #70

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    10 to 1 in term of energy production. And its enemies like to blow-up stars.

I think we overshot "undergunned", and are now in "desperate situation". Even if Petey has the intelligence/tactic advantage (which I believe it has, it's a single hivemind not being The Borg, after all), he must be breaking everything just to remain even.
    I'm wondering if the hivemind has tried creating the wormgates+star singularity method of production in Andromeda to generate huge numbers of teraport modules and TAD drones to gear up for an assault on the core there.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

11. - Top - End - #71

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    I'm wondering if the hivemind has tried creating the wormgates+star singularity method of production in Andromeda to generate huge numbers of teraport modules and TAD drones to gear up for an assault on the core there.
    Hmmm... That sort of production would certainly be achieved without Annie Plant, which would make it undetectable by the Dark Matter Entities.

But then again, I don't think Petey wants to destroy the Andromedan Galaxy. there's too many innocents there.

12. - Top - End - #72

Hmmm... That sort of production would certainly be achieved without Annie Plant, which would make it undetectable by the Dark Matter Entities.

But then again, I don't think Petey wants to destroy the Andromedan Galaxy. there's too many innocents there.
    Not destroy, conquer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

The overall plot has been building up for a long time. can't wait to actually get back to the bloody Andromedan war.

I mean, there's an inter-galactic war going on for the past 5 books, and it happens offscreen. Worse, we are learning that Petey is LOSING IT?

But there's Credomar. And quite a few other elements added that I suspect will turn out to be critical to the overall plot.
    And let's not forget the maybe-already-breaking-loose UNS civil war.

Remember here, we see that there are three battleplates in Sol. That's a very very heavy concentration of firepower, against what threat? Petey? He's been pretty clear that he's not interested in galactic conquest of the Milky Way. (Andromeda yes, Milky Way not so much... yet.) Credomar? Battleplates could never stop it. The DAMEs? The Core War saw them wiped out in our galaxy. Maybe the Ob'enn, but the impression Petey gave was that they were too terrorized by him to start expanding. So... why are those battleplates there? Is someone in the UNS planning a coup?

And then there's this. The UNS is apparently on the verge of a civil war, so much so that even a single leak of information would be sufficient to push things past the boiling point.

14. - Top - End - #74

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Wayson View Post
    So... why are those battleplates there? Is someone in the UNS planning a coup?
    Is it not entirely normal and expected for the seat of central government to be more heavily defended than anywhere else? What proportion of the US fleet is routinely deployed in home waters, for instance?

As for Petey not being interested in conquest of the Milky Way--he might very well say that, and we as the reader know he really means it, but the UNS don't. All they see is a dangerous AI hive-mind, and defending against that is something they no doubt take very seriously.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Is it not entirely normal and expected for the seat of central government to be more heavily defended than anywhere else? What proportion of the US fleet is routinely deployed in home waters, for instance?

As for Petey not being interested in conquest of the Milky Way--he might very well say that, and we as the reader know he really means it, but the UNS don't. All they see is a dangerous AI hive-mind, and defending against that is something they no doubt take very seriously.
    As Tagon senior pointed out, they were far too close to be any use in defense. Gimme a bit and I can dig up a reference link.
    :edit: oh hey that was quick, it was linked to in the post you were quoting.
    Last edited by NEO|Phyte; 2014-03-15 at 04:25 PM.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

16. - Top - End - #76

BlackDragon

Doesn't that reinforce the idea that they're not about to launch a coup? If they're too close to effectively defend against anything, then their only option is to start bombarding ground targets, which doesn't seem a great way to start things off to be honest. They could be there so they're visible from the ground and thus either reassure or oppress the population, who knows?

17. - Top - End - #77
    Barbarian in the Playground

Doesn't that reinforce the idea that they're not about to launch a coup? If they're too close to effectively defend against anything, then their only option is to start bombarding ground targets, which doesn't seem a great way to start things off to be honest. They could be there so they're visible from the ground and thus either reassure or oppress the population, who knows?
    Well, they can teraport. It doesn't really matter where they are in system, since they won't be subject to TAD and can be anywhere if they need to.
    "Simon Ten Broek loves to draw attention;
    Simon Ten Broek spent years in bleak detention;
    Simon Ten Broek, with crimes too vile to mention;
    Simon Ten Broek won't live to see his pension."

10:07 PM [Matthias] And the Kohr-Ah are all "GIT THEM DUKE BOYS!"

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

We have seen Battleplates used with VERY near pinpoin accuracy in the past. With proper sensor data you could probably kill somone and leave the rest of the room untouched. And even make it look like a heart attack.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    When exploited at that scale it led to the star exploding. Not sure if the output when explored conveniently pays for the cost of building it on a short time-scale.

I still find the neoafans creepy. They are being released in the Galaxy, lending their hardware and services. Tagon's epiphany hinted at that they could probably be brought back from the dead using the info in the aluminum things guarded inside the golden cannisters. Broken wind went to a lot of trouble protecting those things to simply forget about them.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I don't think the Neoafans are that big a threat. There are a LOT of things that are bigger and will be bigger for a very long time. Take the UNS and the building Civil War. The Neoafans are just another race with high tech, a single "world" and a VERY small population. And that world is being run by a human build AI. The only ones that the Neoafans are any kind of threat too are the Dark Matter Beasties and that is because of information they may have.

21. - Top - End - #81

Quote Originally Posted by teratorn View Post
    When exploited at that scale it led to the star exploding. Not sure if the output when explored conveniently pays for the cost of building it on a short time-scale.

Only because the star lost the equipment controlling the gate copy system and toroidal singularity. Just means you want backups outside usual controls you use.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

22. - Top - End - #82

I don't understand what is annoying Elf?

23. - Top - End - #83
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

She thinks Schlock is mocking whoever the 'captain' is. Not sure if he actually is or not.

24. - Top - End - #84

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    She thinks Schlock is mocking whoever the 'captain' is. Not sure if he actually is or not.
    Unless the captain is... Ennesby? This IS the corvette after all

25. - Top - End - #85

BlackDragon

Unless the captain is... Ennesby? This IS the corvette after all
    I suppose it sort of makes sense--if Tagon Sr. is now the Commodore of this little fleet, each of the individual ships would have their own Captain. Still don't see Tagon Jr. being very impressed at Ennesby calling himself a captain, though!

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I think that Ennesby has always been classed as a civilian contractor, so he probably wouldn't get a captaincy. Anyhow, he's not really command material, is he?

For Schlock's attitude to annoy Elf that much, I'd guess that the captain might be Kevyn.
    Spinnin' that Disc...

27. - Top - End - #87
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-Spinner View Post
    I think that Ennesby has always been classed as a civilian contractor, so he probably wouldn't get a captaincy. Anyhow, he's not really command material, is he?

For Schlock's attitude to annoy Elf that much, I'd guess that the captain might be Kevyn.
    Then how would we tell Captain Kevyn and Captain Kevyn apart?
    Play your character, not your alignment.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I think Elf is getting angry at who the Captain is, not Schlock's attitude. And it probably is Ennesby. And he is probably being a Pain In the Neck about it in some way.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Silly Elf, that's not an attitude. You know very well that he's always like that.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

30. - Top - End - #90

You know who I hope we see again?

Lunesby I worry about her