New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments III - We've Left a Banana In Charge

The "Hel has no living worshippers" link in the table above points to the kickstarter quote.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

2. - Top - End - #572
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments III - We've Left a Banana In Charge

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    The "Hel has no living worshippers" link in the table above points to the kickstarter quote.
    So it is was. Weird, thought I had double-checked that....Oh well, it's fixed now!

...geez, I somehow managed to post an update notice on the very bottom of a page? OK, quoting myself so no one needs to go back a page to see it:

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    UPDATE COMING, CALLING FOR PMs TO REQUIRE VOTES

Anyone thinking some/all entries marked "Accepting PMs to require vote" should not be included in the Index should send me a private message, saying which entries should require a vote. (The default is to include, an item not voted on will be included in the Index.) If I get PMs from two or more people about a particular entry, it will be voted on to decide inclusion; the vote will be the next stage, and I'll announce it when the vote is ready.

Five of the quotes below reached strong consensus already. A vote is considered unnecessary in these cases, so they will be included.

Proposed Items for Index 3.5
    The Giant on Stats in Earlier Strips
    Elan singing about skill points, Haley having Rapid Shot and Manyshot, Roy and Vaarsuvius' mental ability scores, verbal components in OOTS, and insight about Vaarsuvius' spellcasting.
    #180 05/14/2005 No vote required, will be included.
    Evolution of D&D Adherence
    The Giant hasn't made explicit statements about feats/items since 2008, OOTS' internal consistency is still maintained, and the Giant has no regrets about using D&D in OOTS.
    #886 05/09/2013 No vote required, will be included.
    Xykon vs Dorukan
    There would be no dramatic function to drawing out the fight. "If it helps, think of that page as a montage scene rather than a direct moment-to-moment narrative."
    #960 08/18/2014 No vote required, will be included.
    Malack is Ash
    Vampires take their gear with them when they assume gaseous form, but not when they're destroyed.
    #906 07/28/2013 Accepting PMs to require vote.
    No vote required, will be included.
    The Kickstarter Cameo
    It hasn't happened yet. "When it happens, I will almost certainly mention it in the News."
    #869 02/14/2013 No vote required, will be included.
    Hel Has No Living Worshippers
    "That means literally not one single living person, ever." We'll find out why someday.
    #962 09/11/2014 No vote required, will be included.

PMs will be accepted until September 14th, 4PM EDT. I'll try to update the table if/when entries get sufficient PMs.

To send me a PM, click my username (The vaguely-pronounceable(?)-looking word above the spellcasting-and-invocation-using banana with purple hair) and select "Private Message". Or I guess you could click here. Anyway, include the titles of the entries you're nominating in the message. Mentioning something about "Index Nomination" in the subject line would be helpful.

A few final reminders:
    • Don't post suggestions to require votes. They're sent by PM to avoid filling up the thread with them, posts will not be counted.
    • Only PM for entries you think should be excluded. They'll be included if they don't receive sufficient nominations.
    • We're not voting on the entries yet. The voting will be the next stage, assuming a vote is required; I'll call for the vote at an appropriate time.
    • We've left a banana in charge. Hi.

Further discussion of entries is encouraged at this point. In particular, recommendations for different titles and descriptions for the quote entries are things I'd be happy to consider.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2014-09-14 at 03:25 PM.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

3. - Top - End - #573
    Titan in the Playground

The one quote that might have been voted on, didn't meet the PM threshold required to trigger a vote, so it will be included. Guess support for it solidified after all!

With nothing to vote on, there will be no vote; all six entries are now in the Index.

I love it when a plan comes together.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Well, that way easy. More evidence that new system works! I find it interesting that only two of the six entries are recent ones; all the others are old ones that were dug up.

Peelee’s Lotsey

5. - Top - End - #575
    Firbolg in the Playground

The one quote that might have been voted on, didn't meet the PM threshold required to trigger a vote, so it will be included. Guess support for it solidified after all!

With nothing to vote on, there will be no vote; all six entries are now in the Index.

I love it when a plan comes together.
    I wasn't a strong supporter of that quote, but I saw no compelling reason to oppose it, either. And yes indeed, our process works very smoothly now. Compared to the endless debates in the old thread, this is a marked improvement.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Ettin in the Playground

What you call endless debates I call fascinating discussions. I think we should have a vote to decide what exactly to call those previous discussions!
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zherog View Post
    What you call endless debates I call fascinating discussions. I think we should have a vote to decide what exactly to call those previous discussions!
    No we shouldn't.

A game is a fictional construct created for the sake of the players, not the other way around. If you have a question "How do I keep X from happening at my table," and you feel that the out-of-game answer "Talk the the other people at your table" won't help, then the in-game answers "Remove mechanics A, B, and/or C, impose mechanics L, M, and/or N" will not help either.

Tragak's Planar Reconstruction Archive (current active project: Acheron)

Avatar Credit goes to: Chd. Thank you!

8. - Top - End - #578
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tragak View Post
    No we shouldn't.

I vote that we do vote to decide what they are called

9. - Top - End - #579
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

How about we compromise on fascinatingly endless discussions?

Peelee’s Lotsey

10. - Top - End - #580
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    How about we compromise on fascinatingly endless discussions?
    How about we go with endless fascination and call it a day eternity?
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2014-09-16 at 06:00 PM.

11. - Top - End - #581

I would likely want to debate with you on that point, but first I will need to debate with myself on whether it is appropriate to do so under the rules of this thread, and agree on the rules for setting up a vote on which debates to engage in. I'll be back to you when that's all done.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    I would likely want to debate with you on that point, but first I will need to debate with myself on whether it is appropriate to do so under the rules of this thread, and agree on the rules for setting up a vote on which debates to engage in. I'll be back to you when that's all done.
    I find your debating debate debating...debatable.

13. - Top - End - #583
    Barbarian in the Playground

I find your stance on debate controversial and would like to continue the dispute on whether to approach an argument about possible deliberation!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avy by spectralphoenix

Sammael, Aasimar Blackguard

Avys by Neoseph07

Astaroth, Human Lich Dragon Disciple

Jophiel, Gray Elf Mystic Theurge

<--Naamah Vampire Illusionist

14. - Top - End - #584

Quote Originally Posted by Vemynal View Post

I find your stance on debate controversial and would like to continue the dispute on whether to approach an argument about possible deliberation!
    That is so objectionable, it's bananas!

15. - Top - End - #585
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vemynal View Post

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    That is so objectionable, it's bananas!
    Such a fruitful exchange. Orange you glad I didn't say banana (this time)?

In (semi-)seriousness, we've had more than one kind of "endless debate" in Index thread history. The debates about whether or not a particular quote should be included in the Index or not, I do miss. It's nice to see people having and expressing their opinions on whether/how a quote meets our guidelines; and as our founder mentioned on occasion, people have changed their minds during such discussions, so refinement of thought processes happens. And, well, our debates here about including quotes tend to be more harmonious than debates about the contents of the quote themselves

The debates about debating, as well as debates about debating debating, are more of a mixed bag. They can range from iterative hilarity (the above, for example) to recursive acrimony. Not to say there's no value to them, the well-received voting process we use now did result from one of the less funny ones. I just don't think I can accurately say whether or not I miss them as a category

16. - Top - End - #586
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

A "See Also", I think, on the fate of children who die in OotSWorld, along with a comment about fairness.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

17. - Top - End - #587
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    A "See Also", I think, on the fate of children who die in OotSWorld, along with a comment about fairness.
    I agree with it being included as a "see also".

Peelee’s Lotsey

18. - Top - End - #588
    Barbarian in the Playground

The statement that there is no "overgod" in OotSverse could be new, though.
    Ares - Music and sounds system for roleplaying

19. - Top - End - #589
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'm also in favor of including that as a "see also".
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

20. - Top - End - #590
    Titan in the Playground

Looks like we have our first quote for the next update cycle!
    Quote Originally Posted by Joerg View Post
    The statement that there is no "overgod" in OotSverse could be new, though.
    Since the Giant wanted to be clear on the point, it's worth mentioning, at least.
    OK, how's this look?
    On Children, Souls and Afterlives
    And D&D cosmology makes no sense. More here (also, there is no "overgod" in the OotS cosmology).
    #946 03/19/2014

21. - Top - End - #591

The High Priest of Hel and Durkon's memories are going to be around for a while.
    Last edited by ORione; 2014-09-30 at 12:21 AM.

22. - Top - End - #592
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ORione View Post
    The High Priest of Hel and Durkon's memories are going to be around for a while.
    I think the information in the quotes is good to know, but I am also against including information that will eventually be obsoleted. Hmmmm.

Peelee’s Lotsey

23. - Top - End - #593
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    I think the information in the quotes is good to know, but I am also against including information that will eventually be obsoleted. Hmmmm.
    Samesies. With a QAD look through the existing character/plot quotes, it looks like the vast majority are explaining things that already happened, or clarifying character aspects. This knowledge, while nice, is basically going to be played out as the comic progresses. I don't think it merits inclusion.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

24. - Top - End - #594

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Samesies. With a QAD look through the existing character/plot quotes, it looks like the vast majority are explaining things that already happened, or clarifying character aspects. This knowledge, while nice, is basically going to be played out as the comic progresses. I don't think it merits inclusion.
    Same here. It's very little information to begin with, and it's going to become obsolete. Not worth the space.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ORione View Post
    Aside from what everyone else has said, the tone of the tweets (particularly the second one) reminds me of a post that the Giant asked us not to include.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Titan in the Playground

It's unlikely anyone's missed that Blood Runs in the Family and the 2015 Calendar are now available for preorder, what with the news post and Twitter comments and forum thread.

But what might not be as apparent is that there's a product page on this website, mentioning that the book includes the very early unpublished/unused OOTS strip where Durkon was turned into a vampire.

A strip that effectively has its own entry in the Index:

Durkon Becomes a Vampire
    Originally, Durkon was going to become a vampire in the dungeon of Dorukan. This plot element has been developing for some time and even predates Xykon himself.
    #906 07/28/2013

Anyone have any thoughts on whether the mention warrants being included in the existing entry?

This is totally not not totally an attempt to keep this thread from falling into obscurity.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2014-10-21 at 06:01 PM.

27. - Top - End - #597
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

It's unlikely anyone's missed that Blood Runs in the Family and the 2015 Calendar are now available for preorder, what with the news post and Twitter comments and forum thread.

But what might not be as apparent is that there's a product page on this website, mentioning that the book includes the very early unpublished/unused OOTS strip where Durkon was turned into a vampire.

A strip that effectively has its own entry in the Index:

Durkon Becomes a Vampire
    Originally, Durkon was going to become a vampire in the dungeon of Dorukan. This plot element has been developing for some time and even predates Xykon himself.
    #906 07/28/2013

Anyone have any thoughts on whether the mention warrants being included in the existing entry?

This is totally not not totally an attempt to keep this thread from falling into obscurity.
    I think that since it is print-only content, anyone who doesn't own BRitF will not be privy to the exact details of the strip or any commentary (which, if it exists, would probably be similar to that post) accompanying it, and we should keep it for reference for those people.

Peelee’s Lotsey

28. - Top - End - #598

Since we can't link to it anyways, I think it should just be added onto the end of the description:
    Durkon Becomes a Vampire
    Originally, Durkon was going to become a vampire in the dungeon of Dorukan. This plot element has been developing for some time and even predates Xykon himself. This strip was included as a bonus in book 5 (Blood Runs in the Family)
    #906 07/28/2013

29. - Top - End - #599
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by NerdyKris View Post
    Since we can't link to it anyways, I think it should just be added onto the end of the description:
    I'm going to second this one. It's very useful to link to for people who don't have the book.
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

30. - Top - End - #600

Yea, I think it should stay in the index.

Awhile back I remember a quote by The Giant saying that he had spent all (or almost all?) the money from the kickstarter--i.e., if he makes a profit off of it, it wouldn't be until after a lot of the reprinted books were sold. I went looking for the quote and couldn't find it. Anyone else know what I'm talking about and/or if I am delusional?