New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments III - We've Left a Banana In Charge

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Ok... sorry if i'm being a headache, but my default assumption was no mention = abstain.
    You're not being a headache. (Banana-fication gives one new perspectives insight on head pains )

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    So just to confirm, this should be correct:

When someone votes, if they do not explicitly vote for an item, it is voted against.

When someone votes, to abstain from a certain item, you must explicitly state you are abstaining.

Example:
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe the Voter
    Yes on 2, 3
    means "I vote yes on 2 and 3, but no on 1"
    Yes?
    That's correct. If it helps, the final outcome is equivalent to measuring votes in favor out of total votes placed, which makes abstaining a special case that alters the total vote count for a particular quote (which is why I discouraged such when I called for the vote; My verification is ensuring my yes and no counts add up to the total number of votes, so "no opinion" votes add an extra step).

We've done it this way before (where not mentioning is equal to voting against), here's out founder explaining it in the context of a multi-vote to remove quotes:
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    Yes, if you want all of the quotes to remain in the index, vote none or alternately vote keep all.

The reason is because the quotes are removed based on majority opinion. If only ten people vote and eight want to remove a quote, it will be removed. But if twenty people vote and eight want to remove a quote, it will stay.

So EVEN IF YOU WANT TO KEEP ALL THE QUOTES LISTED, VOTE.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

3. - Top - End - #213

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments III - We've Left a Banana In Charge

Compared to this quote we already included recently, this feels redundant to me. (Though I kinda like the Twitter answer more.)

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

5. - Top - End - #215
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    Compared to this quote we already included recently, this feels redundant to me. (Though I kinda like the Twitter answer more.)
    I agree. I was not keen on adding this quote (voted against, in fact) but I wouldn't mind adding this new Twitter remark. Now, having both... No. that would be really redundant.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    I agree. I was not keen on adding this quote (voted against, in fact) but I wouldn't mind adding this new Twitter remark. Now, having both... No. that would be really redundant.
    I'd have voted against had I noticed a vote was going on, so that's my own fault, but I think the newest comment explains much better and more in depth than the recently added one.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

Since some people like the Twitter comment more than the forum post, what are the rules for replacing quotes?

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    Since some people like the Twitter comment more than the forum post, what are the rules for replacing quotes?
    Actually, I think this is more of a "supporting quote" scenario. The Twitter quote talks about characters and scenery in general, while the forum post focuses on the hands and feet (and a tunnel entrance). It seems to me that having the Twitter quote as a main entry with a "see also" for the forum post would make the most sense...assuming we want the Twitter quote in the Index, of course.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Actually, I think this is more of a "supporting quote" scenario. The Twitter quote talks about characters and scenery in general, while the forum post focuses on the hands and feet (and a tunnel entrance). It seems to me that having the Twitter quote as a main entry with a "see also" for the forum post would make the most sense...assuming we want the Twitter quote in the Index, of course.
    I see no problem with that set-up.

Also, on a completely unrelated note, I'm pretty late to the party, but I greatly enjoy how you've embraced the banana.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

10. - Top - End - #220

Makes sense.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I agree with Gwynfrid and Peelee agreeing with Jasdoif about the supporting quote idea.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I agree. If we are going to include the other quote, we should include this new one as well.

Peelee’s Lotsey

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, I've long been a proponent for doing the 'supporting quote' thing way more often, since it increases the amount of information in the index without adding to 'clutter' in any way. Best of both worlds! Many more supporting quotes!

14. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Last edited by Jaxzan Proditor; 2014-04-18 at 10:51 AM.

Peelee’s Lotsey

15. - Top - End - #225

My thoughts exactly.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Oh, that's a big one. I don't see how anyone could object to that one being included.
    Quote Originally Posted by BootStrapTommy View Post
    Related thought: 5e D&D PC with Hermit background. Discovery is that the universe is just a 5e D&D campaign. Trade in herbal kit proficiency for a gaming set proficiency: 5e D&D. Your "scroll case stuffed full of notes of you studies"? The PHB, DMG, and MM.
    "You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant." -- Harlan Ellison

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Angel Bob View Post
    Oh, that's a big one. I don't see how anyone could object to that one being included.
    Give it some time. I'm sure somebody will come up with one.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

wink Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments III - We've Left a Banana In Charge

Quote Originally Posted by Angel Bob View Post
    It simply restates what's already been shown in the comic, so it's redundant and would only clutter the index.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmegil View Post
    It simply restates what's already been shown in the comic, so it's redundant and would only clutter the index.
    As shown in many threads, it was not obvious to many what the actual process for vampirization is. If the comic had easily shown what the quote states, the quote would never have been given in the first place. Clearly, it was necessary, and will no doubt continue to be necessary to end any similar debates that pop up.

It is not a simple restatement.
    Last edited by Jaxzan Proditor; 2014-04-18 at 10:38 AM.

Peelee’s Lotsey

20. - Top - End - #230

Don't characterize the quote as "contradictory" comments, Rich never used that word. There were no contradictory comments. What he said was "metaphorical" and "ambiguous".

21. - Top - End - #231
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    As shown in many threads, it was not obvious to many what the actual process for vampirization is. If the comic had easily shown what the quote states, the quote would never have been given in the first place. Clearly, it was necessary, and will no doubt continue to be necessary to end any similar debates that pop up.

It is not a simple restatement.
    Yeah, hence the winky icon on my post.

I will note that I myself have made the argument you just laid out and had it roundly rejected here before.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Koo Rehtorb View Post
    Don't characterize the quote as "contradictory" comments, Rich never used that word. There were no contradictory comments. What he said was "metaphorical" and "ambiguous".
    Alright, I will change that to ambiguous.

I will note that I myself have made the argument you just laid out and had it roundly rejected here before.
    Oops, didn't notice that.

Which quote was that?

Peelee’s Lotsey

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

Post icons have an excessive amount of subtlety, in my experience.

If I'm remembering the correct prior argument (that was about if Tsukiko was actually eaten by her wights, wasn't it?), a big difference I'm seeing here is that the quote says "There is only one way that vampirization works" and so should apply to any vampire we run across, not just Malack and Durkon.

I'm thinking this one should go in.

Also, since I think RMS Oceanic's proposal may have been overlooked....This one strikes me as another "supporting quote" scenario, since it talks about page size and so would fit as a primary with the recently added quote about font size relative to page size making an excellent "see also".

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

From the same comment, I think this is worth including because a lot of people have asked about it

Nothing that happens with vampires in this comic can be extrapolated to work similarly with other undead. All types of undead work differently, that's why they are different types in the first place. Xykon is still Xykon.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

25. - Top - End - #235
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

d20 Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments III - We've Left a Banana In Charge

Yeah, when I read a post, I rarely ever look at the header and look at the post itself. That's why I didn't see it until Kalmegil pointed it out.

Peelee’s Lotsey

26. - Top - End - #236
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Sorry. For the record, it should absolutely go in.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Bugbear in the Playground

As disappointing as it is that that's how vampires work, it should absolutely go in--it's the kind of quote this index was designed for: the recurring-arguments-that-have-already-been-answered kind.
    3DS Friend Code: 3067-5674-0852. Currently running: Emerald.

Latias, Groudon, Rayquaza, Kyogre promised to JustPlayItLoud for a shiny Gastly, Gulpin, Frogadier, and Dedenne. Regirock, Regice, Registeel up for grabs.

Spoiler: Living Shinydex Progress 31/718 Newest Shiny: Buneary
    Show
    Gen I: 9/151
    Gen II: 6/100
    Gen III: 7/135
    Gen IV: 3/107
    Gen V: 3/156
    Gen VI: 2/69

Come visit World's Finest Gaming on Tumblr or Facebook or even our Youtube channel and watch me stream!

28. - Top - End - #238

Yes. I was puzzled reading this from Kalmegil, who's pretty much come out in favor of inclusion every time so far. I totally failed to notice the smiley.

And sure, that quote should go in. Heck, it ended a debate that had been raging for well over 200 posts and showed no signs of abating - it was even on the verge of becoming nasty.

Also, I agree with the whole "see also" mechanism as suggested by Jasdoif.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ettin in the Playground

Since it came right after my snarky post, I assumed it was laden with sarcasm.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

It was in direct response to it.