New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments III - We've Left a Banana In Charge

Malack had free will. His devotion to Nergal was because he was a lawful cleric, not because he was a vampire. Also, Nergal and Hel don't necessarily have the same goals or disposition.

I don't know if this one is quite as essential (perhaps it could be a see also). I couldn't come up with a good summary for it, so I would appreciate your thoughts on that.

Peelee’s Lotsey

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments III - We've Left a Banana In Charge

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    Malack had free will. His devotion to Nergal was because he was a lawful cleric, not because he was a vampire. Also, Nergal and Hel don't necessarily have the same goals or disposition.

I don't know if this one is quite as essential (perhaps it could be a see also). I couldn't come up with a good summary for it, so I would appreciate your thoughts on that.
    I think it's relevant, and not just for the novelty of an entry in the Index being about the Giant taking me to town on my own faulty assumptions.
    3DS Friend Code: 3067-5674-0852. Currently running: Emerald.

Latias, Groudon, Rayquaza, Kyogre promised to JustPlayItLoud for a shiny Gastly, Gulpin, Frogadier, and Dedenne. Regirock, Regice, Registeel up for grabs.

Spoiler: Living Shinydex Progress 31/718 Newest Shiny: Buneary
    Show
    Gen I: 9/151
    Gen II: 6/100
    Gen III: 7/135
    Gen IV: 3/107
    Gen V: 3/156
    Gen VI: 2/69

Come visit World's Finest Gaming on Tumblr or Facebook or even our Youtube channel and watch me stream!

3. - Top - End - #243

I agree that it's relevent for exactly the reason the Giant states. A lot of people have a very set idea of what a vampire is, or what a specific type means. This sometimes leads to some preconceived notions that don't fit the story. The term "vampire" carries a lot of pop culture baggage when introduced into a story.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm in favor of including, "The Giant takes Loreweaver15 to town."
    Okay, okay, it can have a different caption if it has to.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Firbolg in the Playground

We should include. The debate about it has grown to nearly 300 posts, quite a few people felt strongly about it.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I am in favor of including both, but this might be one of those times when we hold back a bit to see how many comments Rich makes there.

The first, I think, gets included no matter what. It's probably the most important comment about the comic since his initial How Familicide Works one. The other might get supplanted later on as the debate continues in that thread.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

7. - Top - End - #247

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I'm in favor of including, "The Giant takes Loreweaver15 to town."
    Okay, okay, it can have a different caption if it has to.
    Why isn't there a like button for posts
    3DS Friend Code: 3067-5674-0852. Currently running: Emerald.

Latias, Groudon, Rayquaza, Kyogre promised to JustPlayItLoud for a shiny Gastly, Gulpin, Frogadier, and Dedenne. Regirock, Regice, Registeel up for grabs.

Spoiler: Living Shinydex Progress 31/718 Newest Shiny: Buneary
    Show
    Gen I: 9/151
    Gen II: 6/100
    Gen III: 7/135
    Gen IV: 3/107
    Gen V: 3/156
    Gen VI: 2/69

Come visit World's Finest Gaming on Tumblr or Facebook or even our Youtube channel and watch me stream!

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

So let me see, I think that makes...four quotes so far?

...please excuse the informal summaries
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

9. - Top - End - #249

I support including all four of them.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    So let me see, I think that makes...four quotes so far?

...please excuse the informal summaries
    The first two I support including as supporting quotes. The second two I support including as individual entries.

Peelee’s Lotsey

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Peelee’s Lotsey

12. - Top - End - #252

Not all details about all deities in the OOTS world have been decided on.
    Nor do they need to be.
    I'm not expressing support for or against including either of these, just posting them for others to decide.
    Last edited by 137beth; 2014-04-19 at 08:54 PM.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Not all details about all deities in the OOTS world have been decided on.
    Nor do they need to be.
    I'm not expressing support for or against including either of these, just posting them for others to decide.
    I feel like the last one is really useful just as a general "I know you want more details about this, but the Giant is probably not going to give them if they're not plot-relevant" thing. No strong opinion on the first one.
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

14. - Top - End - #254

Those two are only useful if we believe that "you're not going to get more information" is in itself informative. While technically correct, that doesn't warrant inclusion in my opinion.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    Those two are only useful if we believe that "you're not going to get more information" is in itself informative. While technically correct, that doesn't warrant inclusion in my opinion.
    I could see a case being made that they could work well with the Not everything needs a backstory quote we already have; sort of a "Not everything has a backstory" addition. I don't find it an especially convincing reason to include them, though.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2014-04-21 at 12:05 PM.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

How many quotes do we have that at ready to be included now?

Peelee’s Lotsey

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    How many quotes do we have that at ready to be included now?
    Four, still.

Your proposal about the story role of Nergal's ex-shaman hasn't gotten any discussion one way or the other so far; and the two ones 137ben suggested after that don't seem to have gathered much support.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Four, still.

Your proposal about the story role of Nergal's ex-shaman hasn't gotten any discussion one way or the other so far; and the two ones 137ben suggested after that don't seem to have gathered much support.
    Okay. Just checking to see that I didn't miss anything from this recent flood of comments.

Peelee’s Lotsey

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Yet more evidence that this thread is more nerdy than the Class and Level Geekery
    Coming up next: "Index Of The Giant's Comments IV - even the people whom the nerds call nerds, call us nerds"
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

20. - Top - End - #260
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The OOTS-world is intentionally a humorously-thin genericized D&D setting because OOTS is a character-focused comedic satire of the fantasy genre.

I could have sworn we already had something along these lines (with a bit about how almost every location has a generic/descriptive name, maybe?) but a search of the index didn't turn up anything.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Coming up next: "Index Of The Giant's Comments IV - even the people whom the nerds call nerds, call us nerds"
    Wait, so would that be meta-nerdousity or hyper-nerdousity?

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    The OOTS-world is intentionally a humorously-thin genericized D&D setting because OOTS is a character-focused comedic satire of the fantasy genre.

I could have sworn we already had something along these lines (with a bit about how almost every location has a generic/descriptive name, maybe?) but a search of the index didn't turn up anything.
    Such a post has been made before, but I don't recall it being proposed for the Index. I think the new quote would be a better choice for the subject anyway.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I never use Twitter, so I'm not sure how to embed a tweet or link to one, but a tweet Rich just made eight hours ago suggests that he may consider eBooks in the future ("I'll consider it when I've finished all the Kickstarter stories").

We should probably record that. At the moment, the Index only has a quote from Rich suggesting that he's considered eBooks and dismissed the idea. That now seems to have changed.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

23. - Top - End - #263

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    I never use Twitter, so I'm not sure how to embed a tweet or link to one, but a tweet Rich just made eight hours ago suggests that he may consider eBooks in the future ("I'll consider it when I've finished all the Kickstarter stories").

We should probably record that. At the moment, the Index only has a quote from Rich suggesting that he's considered eBooks and dismissed the idea. That now seems to have changed.
    He may have just meant that he'd consider doing an eBook of the KS stories. I'm not sure.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I think it's too ambigious to be included, myself. The curse of 140 character limits and all that.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

25. - Top - End - #265
    Dwarf in the Playground

Here's the permalink to the eBooks tweet. Sounds to me like digital sales are completely off the table until the Kickstarter stories are done. On a related note, there are no plans for an OOTS omnibus right now because color printing is expensive and (reading a bit between the lines) economies of scale don't work when you print two separate editions.

Ultimately, I think it all comes together to say that the Giant would rather have a single definitive version of each story to sell, rather than juggle supply and demand for multiple editions of the same content.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    I think it's too ambigious to be included, myself. The curse of 140 character limits and all that.
    I think it should be included, if only because the Index as currently read implies that Rich has ruled out eBooks for good. The tweet basically says, "no, they still might potentially happen in the future." To me, there's a big difference between "eBooks will never happen" and "eBooks will be 'considered' in the future," which is approximately the language Rich uses in the tweet.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2014-04-24 at 01:44 AM.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

I think these two sound useful.

And if I'm not mistaken, that makes six ready to go up.

UPDATE COMING, CALLING FOR PMs TO REQUIRE VOTES

Anyone thinking some/all entries marked "Accepting PMs to require vote" should not be included in the Index should send me a private message, saying which entries should require a vote. (The default is to include, an item not voted on will be included in the Index.) If I get PMs from two or more people about a particular entry, it will be voted on to decide inclusion; the vote will be the next stage, and I'll announce it when the vote is ready.

Four of the quotes below reached strong consensus already. A vote is considered unnecessary in these cases, so they will be included.

Proposed Items for Index 3.2
    The Larger Online Page Size Aids Readability and Showcases New Art
    Also, the font is larger because the online comic page is larger.
    #949 04/17/2014 Will be included.
    Updates an existing entry.
    The Scenery is Harder to Draw Than the Characters
    Also, the new hands don't take longer to draw.
    #949 04/17/2014 Will be included.
    Updates an existing entry.
    There is Only One Way that Vampirism Works
    And nothing that happens with vampires can be assumed to work for other undead.
    #949 04/18/2014 Will be included.
    Vampires Have Free Will #949 04/18/2014 Will be included.
    Malack Chose to Worship Nergal
    And "shaman" is a descriptive term, not a non-cleric class.
    #949 04/19/2014 No vote required, will be included.
    The OOTS World is a Humorously-Thin D&D Setting
    "...the generic vanilla world I'm using in OOTS fits for a comedic satire of the fantasy genre."
    #949 04/21/2014 No vote required, will be included.

PMs will be accepted until April 26th, 4PM EDT. I'll try to update the table if/when entries get sufficient PMs.

To send me a PM, click my username (The vaguely-pronounceable(?)-looking word above the spellcasting-and-invocation-using banana with purple hair) and select "Private Message". Or I guess you could click here. Anyway, include the titles of the entries you're nominating in the message. Mentioning something about "Index Nomination" in the subject line would be helpful.

A few final reminders:
    • Don't post suggestions to require votes. They're sent by PM to avoid filling up the thread with them, posts will not be counted.
    • Only PM for entries you think should be excluded. They'll be included if they don't receive sufficient nominations.
    • We're not voting on the entries yet. The voting will be the next stage, assuming a vote is required; I'll call for the vote at an appropriate time.
    • We've left a banana in charge. Hi.

Further discussion of entries is encouraged at this point. In particular, recommendations for different alternate titles and descriptions for the quote entries are things I'd be happy to consider.

There are also some recently proposed quotes; there's no reason the update process should inhibit discussion on those.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2014-04-26 at 03:05 PM.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Hey, so, slightly related topic with regards to indexing, I've noticed that the search function using google (searching all of giantitp.com/forums/ with the last line in The Giant's sig) no longer works properly, and fails to show all of his recent posts for me this way. Does anyone know why, or is experiencing the same problem?

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jajama View Post
    Hey, so, slightly related topic with regards to indexing, I've noticed that the search function using google (searching all of giantitp.com/forums/ with the last line in The Giant's sig) no longer works properly, and fails to show all of his recent posts for me this way. Does anyone know why, or is experiencing the same problem?
    Offhand, I'd guess it's because Google doesn't update its listing of forum threads here as frequently as you might be expecting it to.

That said, the forum search was re-enabled during the forum update (which is why the Google search link was removed from the first post); you should get more accurate and timely results if you use that instead of a Google search.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Offhand, I'd guess it's because Google doesn't update its listing of forum threads here as frequently as you might be expecting it to.

That said, the forum search was re-enabled during the forum update (which is why the Google search link was removed from the first post); you should get more accurate and timely results if you use that instead of a Google search.
    Or you could look at the Giant's profile and see what recent posts he's made.

Peelee’s Lotsey