New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Rise of the Runelords - IC (Jamie's edition)

A town of Sandpoint, on the southeastern shore of the Varisian Gulf. A pretty insignificant one, in the great scheme of things – still, for those little over a thousand souls who call it home, its local turmoils and tragedies arew no less important than the Worldwound Crusades or the constant struggle foe power among the nobles of distant and misterious Minkai.
    One season of such tragedies, perhaps the worst in the town’s short history, came about five years ago – and today, at the day of Autumn Equinox, the last material damage dealt by the so named Time of Unpleasantness would finally be restored… though the dead can not be brought back, of course, nor the damage to people’s hearts and souls be healed completely. Still, the Swallowtail Festival, culminating in the consecration of the town’s new cathedral, is a joyous event for all, and, although the ofiicial celebrations aren’t scheduled to start until noon, pretty much everyone is in the streets from the very dawn, not to mention more visitors than the town saw in years – perhaps ever – and all kinds of makeshift attractions and entertainment are set up throughout the town.

Spoiler
    Show
    You can explore the town for a bit if you want; othervise, we’ll declare it is suddenly noon and proceed with the festival.
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

"Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

Extended signature

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Rise of the Runelords - IC (Jamie's edition)

theres far too many people here so early before the celebrations.

3. - Top - End - #3

Kobold

what exactly is happening around us?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kahto

Kahto could hear the sound from Sandpoint before he even saw the town. He looked down at Nakka, who was sitting on his shoulder nibbling on some seeds Kahto had given him. Kahto smiled at his little friend.

After walking for some time the busy town came into view and Kahto walked into the North Gate and into the crowd. He is a tall, strong man of obvious Shoanti heritage with his tattoos and mostly bald head. He is an odd site in his hide shirt carrying a longbow, greatsword and a backpack, with a field mouse sitting in his shoulder.

As savage as he looks he smiles and seems very calm.
    The story has been told a million times, but it is different when it is your life.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

How am I ever going to find them in this? I can't image how it's going to be in the actually celebration.After responding to what Marco had said, Alea begins to think about how it's going to be and slightly loses herself in thought and nearly loses Marco in the crowd but hurries back over Marco and continues on her search.
    Last edited by Draco-V9; 2014-03-13 at 04:54 PM.
    "My Sirens name is Brick, and she's the pretiest"
    Brick, Borderlands II Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep.

6. - Top - End - #6

Kobold

Your right, Aela, if this is before proper celebration, then the actual time for it will be chaos. Marco ponders to himself though that it would be a perfect time to get a few extra coins to line his pockets.
    Last edited by alstaman1; 2014-03-13 at 09:38 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alea begins to look around for her family

*Perception*
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20)[8]

EDIT 8+6=14 EDIT
    Last edited by Draco-V9; 2014-03-13 at 09:45 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

@Smileybastard:

On most days, KAhto's appearance would probably attrsct quite an amount of looks; today, however, not only are people of Sandpoint busy with preparations, but the festival had attracted rather a number of outsiders into town - some of them rather exotic-looking. Though, despite that, he soon finds several kids watching him, obviously curious, but not daring to approach.

@DracoV-9:

It doesn't take Aela long to locate her parents, her mother helping setting up tables in front of a tavern-looking buildings, and father helping the other men prepare the stages for contests of physical prowess, which are grouped together on the Market square. They didn't seem to have noticed their daughter yet.

"Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

Extended signature

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Upon seeing her mother Aela remembers to how much she loved her but the begins to think about how she left how would she react to seeing her daughter grown up. But I must do this.
    Aela started to walk forward trying not to be oushed around in the crowd enough to lose where her mother was is, she eventually got to the tavern and her mother was there.

*Cough* Hello

10. - Top - End - #10

Kahto

Kahto smiles at the children and squats down stroking Nakka, his mouses fur. "What is going on here my little friends?"
    The story has been told a million times, but it is different when it is your life.

11. - Top - End - #11

Kobold

'I could do with a few extra coins.'Marco looks for a place around the celebrations for games to play and bets to make.
    Last edited by alstaman1; 2014-03-15 at 02:18 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

@Draco:

"I'm sorry, but we're not open yet-" the woman says, turning to the call. Then, after a few moments, the realization strikes her, "Aela!? Is that really you?!" she rushes to hug her wayward daughter, "My child, where have you been all these years? We feared the Unpleasantness claimed you!"

@Smileybastard:

The kids all take a step back upon being discovered, except for one boy, about 10, who, while onviously cautios and prepare to make escape any time, asks, "Oh, nothing, sir, it's just we were having an argument, and, eh, maybe you could decide it for us... Eh, sir, did you by chance ever saw a goblin?"

@Alstaman:

Most games aren't open yet, though there are some that could catch halfling's attention - the classics, like the greased wooden pillar with the prize on top, or the log hanging between two large trees that one's supposed to walk across - thee's also a dart-throwing range. Also, the tavern notably has a large sign, obviously fresh-painted, "Free lunches for everyone!"

Extended signature

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Nuada walks through the crowds, admiring stalls, and occasionally stopping to chat with villagers. It wasn't often, but occasionally a break from travelling was for the best. Perhaps a day at the festival, a few days of relaxation... Well that was in the future. For now, it was time to take in the sights and meet with the locals.

He ducks into the local tavern, lured by the offer of free meals, and takes a seat in the common area.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    The kids all take a step back upon being discovered, except for one boy, about 10, who, while onviously cautios and prepare to make escape any time, asks, "Oh, nothing, sir, it's just we were having an argument, and, eh, maybe you could decide it for us... Eh, sir, did you by chance ever saw a goblin?"
    "I have seen a goblin or two in my time in the lowlands," said Kahto smiling to the bold child.

15. - Top - End - #15

Kobold

Marco decides that the log climbing game could be interesting, and heads to the person who seems to be in charge of it.
    perception check. peception mod +6
    (1d20)[19]
    total: 25
    Last edited by alstaman1; 2014-03-15 at 10:26 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aela leans into the hug and says I'm sorry I ran away Aela bursts into tears and cries over her mother's shoulder. When the hug breaks Aela wipes the tears away and contiues talking You always told me to make more friends Aela looks back to her wolf expect Marco to be there with him. But then remembers that her mother said something about the Unpleasantness and looks back at her mother to say Wait what did you mean by the Unpleasantness?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

@SmileyBastard:

The kids draw a bit closer, but it's still the same boy speaking, "So, sir, we were arguing... they say goblins are, like, eight feet tall, but I heard they're actually small!"

@Draco-V9

"Oh, right, you left just before... I suppose that might be for the best... five years ago, lots of terrible things happened here in Sandpoint... Lots of people died... or went missing... we were afraid you..." the woman barely stops herself from crying, "Father Zantus said today we will recover from that tragedy... and it seems he was more right than I ever hoped..."

@alstaman1:

It isn't difficult to locate the man in charge; "Good morning to you too, sir", he calls, noticing Marco's interest, "Want to try the climb? Well, I sure ain't stopping you - it's a single silver to try reach the top and the purse is yours - though it'll likely be a bit heavier by the evening... unless, of course, someone grabs it before!"

@OracleofSilence:

"Hi there, sir", a young woman approaches Nuada's table, "Brought in by that sign, are you? Well, it says free lunch, and now's a bit early for lunches don't you think?", she smiles, "I'll make you an offer, though - you look like a man who had traveled for quite a time - and here in Rusty Dragon a good story of adventure always counts as a fair payment!"

Extended signature

18. - Top - End - #18

Kobold

Well my good man, you have earned yourself one nice peice of silver.
    Marco hands the man a silver peice and attempts to climb the log
    climb check. modifier +3
    (1d20)[9]
    total: 12
    Last edited by alstaman1; 2014-03-17 at 01:30 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

What killed the people? Aela stood waiting for answer and thought that if she just left she must not have been far away an should of heard something. After that moment of thought Asked again What killed them? but this time in alouder voice not caring if others hear, some one or something had damaged the town and it's people including her parents, which got her thinking And where's Dad?

20. - Top - End - #20

Kahto

Kahto smiles.
    "While it is true the most dangerous of creatures are generally very large", Kahto rises to his full height for effect. "Sometimes the smallest are very dangerous as well."
    He squats again. "Goblins are quite small. Smaller even than you, although they have large heads. Because they are small they can hide and sneak very well and they are often in large numbers and are very unpredictable.Trust me when I say they can be very, very dangerous."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

@ alstaman1

Marco starts well, quickly reaching the halfway mark - but at that moment, his arm grabs the particularly greasy spot, and the halfling slowly slides down, unable to secure a good grab with his remaining limbs...
    "You didn't expect that to be easy, did ya", the man in charge gives a good-natured chuckle, "Want another go? You'll have to wait a bit, though - it seems you got me some more customers!" he points at the small queue, then says shaking his head, "Sorry, Nishy, but you know I can't allow you to play."

"Why not?" a girl, barely taller than Marco, steps away from the line, "It isn't fair!" At first glance, she looks completely normal, but Marco's trained eyes quickly notice a couple of unusual features - namely, under her nose there's something looking like thin whispers, and her eyes are vertical-slitted.

@ SmileyBastard:

"See, I've told you!" the boy who was speaking all the time, turns to his comrades, "Thank you, sir!"

@ DracoV9:

"Not 'what'", Aela's mom shakes her head, obviously not wanting to recount the events of those tragic days, "'who'. You remember mr. Stoot, right? That man who used to carve birds above the doors? Well, it turned out he wasn't just an artist and bird-lover... he also was a madman... No one could believe thta such a kind and quiet man could kill over twenty people... but he did... and just as the tragedy started to wind down, another struck... There was a fire in the church... by the time it was stopped, there was nothing left to restore. And... Father Ezakien and his daughter... they couldn't escape..." the woman barely holding her tears.

Extended signature

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aela takes in the information but snaps back at her mother with a quick question Where is Dad? He could be one of the people. That can't of happened. Where is he? Aela franticly begins to look for her father in desperation and thinking that the worst had happened to him but hoping that it hadn't.

23. - Top - End - #23

Kobold

I reckon she's right Marco states in protest. Although i reckon that she should be allowed to go, if your going to treat it like this. Marco looks toward the girl with a smile. i say go ahead!

24. - Top - End - #24

Kahto

"You are welcome," says Kahto with a smile.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

"Well, I wasn't looking for food just yet, but every now and then, a story can't hurt." Nuada sits leans back against the table thinks back over his travels and begins.

"Have you ever been to Magnimar? Fascinating city. Not quite the midden that is Riddleport, nor the den of intrigue that calls itself Korvosa. Well, I was returning there after a few months on the road. I had been traveling with a some family in a Varisian caravan when, just as the winds were turning bitter, and the last few leaves of autumn were falling from the tree's, we arrived at the city. Naturally, everything seemed normal at first, but that didn't last long. The first sign that things were out of the ordinary was when..."

Nuada spends the next half hour or so recounting an outrageous tale, including lost lockets, treacherous relatives, forgotten promises, and dark family secrets. Some of it is even true. After he is done, he grins to himself, then faces the woman. "A bit outrageous, I know, but I prefer to try to earn my meals, even if they're early"

Spoiler: Perform Check
    Show
    (1d20+10)[18]

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

@Draco-V9

The woman looks shocked for the moment, then exclaims, "The Six bless you, my child! What are you talking about?! He's at the Market Square, helping with the games! Or at least he was half an hour ago -"
    Spoiler: In case you missed it OOC
    Show
    It doesn't take Aela long to locate her parents, her mother helping setting up tables in front of a tavern-looking buildings, and father helping the other men prepare the stages for contests of physical prowess, which are grouped together on the Market square. They didn't seem to have noticed their daughter yet.

@Alstaman

"Well, sir", the man chuckles, "I thought it was in your interest for the purse to remain filled until it's your go again, but if it's all right with you..."

"Thank you, mister!" the girl smiles, throws the man a coin and quickly pulls off her shoes. Her feet are somewhat less human-like - disproportionally large, though that won't look unusual for halfling. The small, but sharp-looking claws that spring from both her hands and feet the next moment, though certainly do. thanks to them, it's over in less than half a minute - and that with the girl holding the rim of her dress with one hand. "Thanks again, sir!", she waves to Marco from the top of the pole.

@SmileyBastard

Their curiosity satisfied, the start to kids walk away, and Kahto hears one of them saying, "But still, you couln't have seen a goblin near the town, they never come that close, everyone knows that!"

@OracleofSilence

The tavern's landlady proves to be a good listener - and, from her reactions, no stranger to Magnimar herself. "Well, earn your meal you did", she smiles as Nuada finishes his story, "Even though some details you might've mixed a bit. Anyway, since today's free anyway, you might claim that meal anyday - or a free room if you like. Oh, but the time does fly - the celebrations gonna start any minute now!"

Extended signature

27. - Top - End - #27

Kahto

"You must have sharp eyes if you saw a goblin near the town, as I said they are very sneaky. It would not surprise me if they come close to town far more often than most assume. Some goblins make great use of a towns refuse."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

"I think I'll take you up on that. We can talk later on that subject." Nuada stands and stretches, then wanders out into the town square, admiring the new cathedral, and talking with some locals. While he may not be an adherent to the Lady of Dreams himself, he had always found here philosophy attractive, and it never hurt to admire the beauty she inspired.

29. - Top - End - #29

Kobold

Your welcome! Marco yells at the girl, a smile on his face. Also, just on a side note, who are you?
    Last edited by alstaman1; 2014-03-19 at 07:11 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh thank the Gods I feared the Worst, Aela had a slight memory blank as she worried for her father and this was a new feeling to her, a feeling of fear. I better go find him then a talk to him he may want to meet his daughter again Aela Hugs her mother and bids her a fairwell Will I be able to find you later at the old house?