New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Most relateable character

Hey guys. As the title implies, I'm wondering which character in the comics you guys feel most, for lack of a better word, connected to. Which one do you find you relate to most. For me, oddly enough, it's Belkar. There are times when I feel like I should Belkar out. (somebody add that term to the dictionary) And even when I'm not angry, No one else in the order really grabs at me. Hell, Belkar's perfect world looked like the awesomest place ever. Basically I consider myself a less violent version of him. (Kind off an oxymoron) And as always, go nuts.
    Player: I'm going to make a new character, I suck at bard.
    Me: Your only saying that because you died.
    Player: So?
    Me: Everyone dies when they do stupid stuff between two rogues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Your companion? The goblin you are using as ammunition.
    Surprise! You've got no legs!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Most relateable character

Hm... Probably Roy. I connect with him most of the time. He doesn't really resemble me, but he reminds me of my best friend, they're both the same actually-good-honourable-and-clever-at-the-same-time-LG-types. He's one of the most well-rounded characters : he can't be boiled down to one or two traits that really define him, but his reactions always make sense in context and are what you'd expect not from a roleplayer's character, but from an actual human being (and a pretty amazing one, too). That's why he's easy to relate to IMO.

EDIT : @Grey Watcher : Yeah, same thing here.
    Last edited by Seto; 2014-03-15 at 01:05 PM.
    My True Neutral Handbook, a resource for creating and playing TN characters.

Check out my extended signature and the "Gitp regulars as..." that I've been honored with!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

For me, I guess I'd have to say it's either Roy or Haley. Roy is more the person I wish I was (were? whatever): intelligent, confident, driven, and able to balance a lot of stresses and difficulties with only a minimum of snarky bad attitude. Haley is more the person I probably am actually most like: smart, good at what I do, not without ambition, but lacking the confidence in myself to really go for what I want.

4. - Top - End - #4

For me it's Durkon or Elan. I want to do the right thing but there is always more growing up to do and more harsh realities to grapple with.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Sometimes, I feel like I can relate to Vaarsuvius. At others times, I connect to Roy. I don't think I can relate to Belkar that much.

Peelee’s Lotsey

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I would like to relate with Belkar, but unfortunately I'm no sexy shoeless god of war .

From the rest I would pick Haley (with Elan as a close second). But I can't really say why.

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    Haley is more the person I probably am actually most like
    Note to self: do not annoy Grey Watcher. He might shoot an unarmed bystander in the foot.
    Last edited by Qaanol; 2014-03-15 at 07:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by NihhusHuotAliro’s cousin View Post
    It's a secret, like suspenders.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'll have to go with Redcloak. A good intentioned extremist who uses evil means to further the cause of his wrongly oppressed people. I am not as noble as Redcloak, but I generally have good intentions that lead to problems. Maybe I'm more of an Elan with self-destruct runes than a Redcloak.

9. - Top - End - #9

SwashbucklerGuy

Elan and Durkon. Easy. Elan because I'm in the process of accepting that the world does not care at all about my hopes and dreams, and the best thing that I can do is to do the best with what I have. Tying into that is Durkon's thing about doing your duty, even if it makes you miserable. My duty, to me, is to try and make the world a little better, a little brighter than it was before I go. Even if it makes me miserable.

10. - Top - End - #10

Probably Xykon.

... look, I get really ornery when my sidekick doesn't let me drop people into vats of corrosive acid to have a fight to the death with an acid-breathing shark, okay? I mean, ****, who doesn't, really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Sad to say but I worry I'm too much like Eugene, i.e a douche.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Vaarsuvius, because I always want more power and stuffs then I have, and tend to be middling to terrible at handling it, and the only way I know how is hard work, so if someone offers me an easy ride to the top, I take it.
    Roy, because at the same time, I am also willing to shoulder responsibility for my actions, and make a fairly good leader.
    My life is a oxymoron!
    And finally, Redcloak, Xykon and Belkar, because 1: I am always tempted to screw the ways, as long as I get the means.
    2 and 3: when I'm fed up, sometimes you just gotta blow crap up, or stab it, or light it on fire, or whateves suits you. And doing such while being aloof and sarcastic is my favorite way.
    And finally, Elan, because somewhere in me is a voice screaming: I'm just a kid! Can't I have fun? Why do bad things happen to good people?

I relate to a lot of people....
    Washed up Gm in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenChord View Post
    This seems like a level of crazy-talk only you could accomplish.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Mick View Post
    ... I've played a few games with D20ragon as GM in the past, and I have to vouch for his skill - he's an excellent writer, his world-building is top-notch ... and his games are, while sometimes too ambitious, some of the most fun to be had on these boards.
    avatar by the marvelous asdflove

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I would say I'm about 1/3 Roy and 2/3 Durkon, with maybe a tiny splash of Belkar hiding in the back somewhere.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Choosing between the Order: Roy. Thats probably the reason he's also my favourite character (the second one is Belkar, but not because i feel similar to him... )

Outside the order: Redcloak (at least, he's the one I'm more sympathetic with)
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I have to say nale, i know this may be unpopular but as i child i really liked slapstick (a.k.a hitting somone in the face with the ball during soccer) and was really anoying when i did not get my way. Since if grown up ive becoe less like him and i never was evil but i still like the freedom that evil charachters enjoy en like the charachters more for it.
    evil always triumphs because good is dumb

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

Belkar. I'm not a violent murderer or anything, but I like his sense of freedom and how he does what he wants in order to get the most enjoyment out of life.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Vaarsuvius, a fellow scholar. Arrogant at times. Talks too much. I haven't committed mass murder, though.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Last edited by Keltest; 2014-03-17 at 07:17 PM.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teapot Salty View Post
    Hey guys. As the title implies, I'm wondering which character in the comics you guys feel most, for lack of a better word, connected to.
    Well, to be serious for a moment, as someone who has a chance to reflect back on various mistakes and missed opportunities and foolish blunders (and as someone who struggles with a superiority complex based on a perception as being extremely intelligent), I feel that Vaarsuvius is the character I most strongly identify with. Red Cloak is a second, but his religious connotations clashes with my worldview enough to knock him back to a distant second.
    Last edited by BenjCano; 2014-03-19 at 09:24 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

O-Chul. I do what I think is right even if it means putting myself in a bad situation, and I don't like cats very much.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Belkar. I'm not a violent murderer or anything, but I like his sense of freedom and how he does what he wants in order to get the most enjoyment out of life.
    So... Elan then?
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

hinjo

or

redcloak

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

Roy. A guy who tries his best to be good, with some really notable slip-ups? Oh yeah. I also end up finding myself carrying responsibilities that no one else will, but I can't do it half as gracefully as him.

And for some reason I heavily identify with the power struggle between Redcloak and Xykon. I don't even know what that says about me.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The wizard in green robe.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Like others, Roy is mostly an ideal for me when I'm at my best. I most often identify with Vaarsuvius though. Loquacious, smart, driven, but sometimes less considerate than I ought to be. I also admit that Xykon's philosophy on power has a certain appeal to it...
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Roy is probably closest, but he's a bit more lawful than I am.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

27. - Top - End - #27

NecromancerGirl

Among the Order? Oh, it's gotta be Vaarsuvius. No question. I've always been the "super-smart" androgynous introvert with a distended vocabulary who tends to over-think things. Also, she gets the best lines. I wish my snark were that refined.

Outside the Order? Malack. Even though he was a filthy hypocrite and a terrible person, I have to admit -- if I were a vampire, I'd be exactly the same way. He valued his own survival and comfort above all else, but when those two goals were sated, he was happy to subdue his sinister nature and engage in cordial conversation with "friends". (And he's flippin' badass without being a hulk of muscle, so I respect that.)

Tl;dr I'm a brainy introvert who secretly craves the power to kill people with style. Fear me.
    Quote Originally Posted by BootStrapTommy View Post
    Related thought: 5e D&D PC with Hermit background. Discovery is that the universe is just a 5e D&D campaign. Trade in herbal kit proficiency for a gaming set proficiency: 5e D&D. Your "scroll case stuffed full of notes of you studies"? The PHB, DMG, and MM.
    "You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant." -- Harlan Ellison

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Of the Order, I identify with Haley the most, followed by Roy, followed by Vaarsuvius (I need help). Outsider the Order, I'd identify with Redcloak and Right-Eye were it not for a particular allegory that I'm only half-sure is intentional. Not the one you think.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Most of the characters talk too much for me to relate to them, so I guess I'll go with Zz'dtri. In group situations, I tend to let the person with the biggest ego get all the spotlight they want, much like Z. Also, I wouldn't have minded V being sent to the Demiplane of Extremely Painful Torture.

Plus, in a sense, isn't everyone on this board scrying on the OOTS?
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

30. - Top - End - #30

SamuraiGuy

It's always been a close race between Roy and Durkon for me. I generally have Roy's temperament (i.e. nice guy whose sharp tongue gets him in trouble and follows the rules MOST of the time) while tending to fill Durkon's role in any group (advisor/big brother figure) I'm in. I guess that suggests my alignment is Lawful.