New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: DrK's Wrath of Righteous IC

Fionnuala nods in agreement with Flash, though adds

Maybe i should go first then, if there is a chance of it braking, since im somewhat slighter than you. And that way i can help you down, maybe adding less strain to our makeshift ladder?

2. - Top - End - #62

RogueGuy

"My lady I would feel a lot happier if I went first. I have fallen from many a tree and am accustom to the sharp stop, plus I am stout and most likely to survive"

3. - Top - End - #63

NecromancerGirl

Well, having you to there to catch me might make me more comfortable too, but don't go making any sudden stops on my behalf!

Fionnuala says with a smile.
    Last edited by ShineyDuck; 2014-03-20 at 03:03 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

(walking through the rift)

"It's one of Terendelev's scales," I tell Flash. "Has my face burnished on it. I don't know what that means, but I think our former guardian's last act was to manipulate them with some sort of fate magic. I don't know what it means yet, but I think I saw one with your face on too. Talk to Maxwell, he found them."

-------------------

(back to the present)

<Please, Tali's fine. My lands were lost a long time ago, I've never used my title other than to impress Lord Horgus.> "I can't spot any activity from up here, we'll need to get closer. There's a twenty foot drop to the cavern floor that the others are working to rig some sort of rope ladder down."

5. - Top - End - #65

RogueGuy

Flash will tug the rope a bit and then climb down.

Spoiler
    Show
    I know this is going to hurt but by how much, that is the question.

Climb checks
    [roll]1d20+2[\roll]
    [roll]1d20+2[\roll]
    [roll]1d20+2[\roll]

6. - Top - End - #66

RogueGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolls again sorry.
    Climb checks
    (1d20+2)[14]
    (1d20+2)[22]
    (1d20+2)[14]

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

The makeshift rope works well. Flash, Ogier and Maxwell sliding down first whilst Hotel holds the rope steady. Fion and Tali also find it easy to slide down and even Gwern manages despite his bulk. The noble sneering slightly at both Aveni and Arivishnial as they are helped down, clutching onto the rope before a gentle "let go" from the women leaves the wounded falling the last 6 ft to land in Flash and Maxwells capable hands.

The passage out with its worn statues looks quiet and pitch dark with no signs of use. The two statues battered and scraped and abused. At mention of the statues Arivishnial looks to the speaker Statues. Please tell me more, I have long suspected some of Under-kenaberes was developed by the original inhabitants of the first crusade
    Spoiler
    Show

Skills like Know history, religion, arcitechture, nobolity or geography may give clues.

Staring at the heavy stone door, metallic hammer motif covered on heavy verdigris Ogier and Flash can both feel the evil emanating from within...
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

8. - Top - End - #68

RogueGuy

"I feel uneasy. I feel the taint of evil here." Flash looks around.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Detect Evil

Let me see what could this be ....

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge Religion (1d20+4)[11]

9. - Top - End - #69

PirateGuy

Maxwell will have a cautious look around for exits or interesting features.

"I know what you mean, something not quite right. A strange place to build a structure. A tomb or maybe a prison?"
    Last edited by Mark_L; 2014-03-21 at 05:35 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70

NecromancerGirl

Fionnuala takes a few moments re donning her armour she had dropped bit by bit over the edge once safely at the bottom, after offering an appreciative grin to Maxwell and Flash for her ease of descent. As she sits on the ground, strapping on her scale mail grieves Fionnuala looks to the statues and what they might refer to now closer to examine as she fastens the metal over her shins.

Spoiler
    Show

Know religion
    (1d20+5)[11]

At Flash's words of warning, she increases her pace of tightening straps, her eyes looking to where his seem to be gazing, getting to her feet to fasten the last few straps and put her weapons away safely in their holster and scabbard on her belt, picking up her shield and strapping it on her arm ready to intervene should something come bursting out.

What kind of evil?
    Last edited by ShineyDuck; 2014-03-21 at 05:50 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

As the group completed their descent, Hotep found himself at the top, alone and unafraid. Untying the bedroll and cloak, he wrapped it around his waist ... mostly to cover his butt. He also pulled off his hides and stuffed them in his pack and slowly lowered himself to his full height to start his climb down.

Spoiler
    Show
    Climb Check vs DC 22: (1d20+8)[16], (1d20+8)[24], (1d20+8)[14]
    Ah, timing is everything ...

With a thud, Hotep falls to the ground (hopefully on his cushioned posterior). Standing up, he grunted, rubbing his backside for a moment, before smiling apologetically and slowly putting his armor back on.

"Sorry all, I fell.
    Harder to climb than it looks.
    Good thing I missed you."

He followed the others, returning the cloak to whoever volunteered, periodically rubbing his backside as he watched everyone cluster around the building. Very talkative bunch, but they didn't actually do much. Well, not yet at least.

Spoiler
    Show
    Since Hotep hung down first, not sure if he counts as falling 10 ft or 20 ... but probably a d6 of damage at least
    Last edited by Starbin; 2014-03-21 at 06:34 PM.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

As everyone is eventually lowered down to the floor of cavern, scrambling down in some cases. Being carefully lowered in others such as an embarrassed Aveni or a worried looking Aravishnial you can all approach the small squat bunker. To Ogier's finely honed senses the temple seems to glow with an unnatural and low level glow of "evil" that is at odds with the normally benevolent god of craft and artifice. Tired Aveni sits down beside one of the worn stone statues tired and wincing at her leg. Nearby Gwern looks at her with a look of anger, "We should leave her behind, she's slowing us down. Gods know what is happening above as we waste time down here".

Aveni shoots him a look before her face seems to collapses inwards as tears break out. Her eyes looking towards the rocky ceiling and the city above, a mutter of "Irabeth" on her lips as she's clearly worried about someone in the city above.

Beside Tali, still holding on the sorceresses sleeve like a talisman the blind elf touches on the statues. "What do they look like? Are they of crusaders? If so the theories of the underpeople and the first crusades could be true, and it bodes well for paths leading back to the surface. As long as the assault didn't destroy them..." His words echo the thoughs of many of you as there is another faint rumble and small chunks of the ceiling and pebbles trickle down the walls echoing loudly in the cave.

A larger thud announces a crevice appearing high up in the wall to the right hand side as a large chunk of rock breaks free. Worse is to come as slithering out of the new crack high up drops a trio of large strange creatures. Massive, with a diameter of some 9 ft they look like giant octopuses with jet black skin and a row of red eyes on their cone, long barbed suckers on their claws.... Seeing prey the angry giant darkmantles immediately move to attack....

Spoiler: Combat
    Show

You are on the floor of the cavern in a space that's ~30ft long and 40ft wide between the 10ft tunnel and the door of the temple.

The darkmantles (3) all creep in through a crevice that is ~20ft up and 40ft away...
    Players won the block initiative

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

"Respectfully, sir, we need to advance cautiously anyhow. Not really slowing us then. Besides, another set of eyes in these caves can't hurt." Quite a piece of work, aren't you, openly suggesting dropping the wounded for your own convenience. Keep an eye on you, blue blooded... Ogier's thoughts are broken by the attack. He wastes no time in sending two shafts upward. "What are they?"

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    rapid shot
    att (1d20+3)[22]
    damage (1d8)[1]

att (1d20+3)[20]
    damage (1d8)[8]

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Hotep stood staring off into the darkness as the others talked. He missed Ash - the man usually gave Hotep direction, usually with beer. Sighing, he leaned on his spear ... until the others began to turn and look upwards. Gripping his spear, he turned to look too, and was surprised by the grim-looking beasts that flew towards them.

"Ugly nasty things!
    Do we strike them now? Or wait?
    Hotep is ready!"

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Readied action to attack when darkmantles approach (hoping to catch them charging!)
    Attack: (1d20+5)[21]; dam: (1d8+6)[13] (add (1d8+6)[10] if they charge)

15. - Top - End - #75

NecromancerGirl

Fionnuala looking up at the Darkmantles wincing at little at their horrific forms. Moving next to and infront of Aveni, offering her a hand to her feet, shield held up ready to invervene and get in close should she need to.

Anyone not getting in the thick of this fight get behind me...

She says in a hushed voice, hoping not to attract these horrors to the injured, her eyes quickly glancing round just incase there are other threats that the party hasn't yet seen.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception cheak as she glances round the rest of the cavern quickly

(1d20+5)[11]

16. - Top - End - #76

RogueGuy

"Do not worry my dear I will distract them while you look after the injured."

Draw Sword and shield and make noise.
    "Hey you, ummm Evil thing. I am the bane of your kind and have come to put your existance to an end."

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Tali

"Get down!" I hiss at Arivishnial, pushing down firmly on his shoulder to make sure he gets the message. With a word of command a ball of acid shoots from my outstretched palm at the closest thing.

"Three flying octopuses just came through a crack in the ceiling," I inform the blind elf. "Try not to attract their attention."

Show

Attack with Acid Splash
    Touch Attack: (1d20+2)[17]
    Damage:(1d3+2)[3]

18. - Top - End - #78

PirateGuy

At the noble's words Maxwell turns to give Gwern a meaningful look "I would keep those observations to yourself sir, as they only serve to underline the tenuousness of your position and antagonize your guardians."

As the party readies to face the new threat Maxwell draws his sword and stands ready to meet the advancing dark mantles next to flash, cringing slightly at his words.

Spoiler: Prepared action
    Show

Prepare to attack the first one that comes into reach
    Attack (p attack) (1d20+5)[7] and (2d6+9)[17]

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

The massive flapping octopi float about for a second before a pair of arrows and a zipping ball of acid sear into them. All 3 of the massive creatures shimmer, waves of red and black rippling across their rubbery skin as they descend in whorl of rippling tentacles and lashing teeth! THe beasts and their tentancles moving to attack Ogier, Hotep and Flash, the one attacking the barbarian pierced brutally by the spear in a great gout of blood.

Spoiler: Darkmantles
    Show

Vs Ogier Slam (1d20+6)[25] damage (1d8+3)[8] grapple CMB (1d20+7)[19]
    Vs Flash Slam (1d20+6)[7] damage (1d8+3)[8] grapple CMB (1d20+7)[20]
    Vs Hotep Slam (1d20+6)[20] damage (1d8+3)[5] grapple CMB (1d20+7)[20]

20. - Top - End - #80

RogueGuy

"HA. Now you are on my level..."

Spoiler: Attack
    Show
    (1d20+3)[18]

Damage
    (1d8+2)[8]

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

The sudden impact of the creature knocks the wind from Ogier. He struggles to push himself free, feeling the rapidly forming bruises as he does so.
    Spoiler
    Show
    grapple to break the hold (1d20+3)[5] not built for this!

Ogier Strongbow
    M LG Human Paladin (Oath of Vengeance/Oath against Fiends), Level 1, Init +4, HP 3/11, Speed 30
    AC 17, Touch 14, Flat-footed 13, CMD 17, Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +3, CMB +3, Base Attack Bonus 1
    +1/+1 inside 30' longbow +5 (1d8, x3)
    longsword +3 (1d8+3, 19-20x2)
    longbow (rapid shot) +3/+3 ( , )
    Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +4 Dex)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 18, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 18
    Condition None
    Last edited by stack; 2014-04-03 at 04:05 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82

NecromancerGirl

Fionnuala seeing The creatures attack with vile ferocity landing hits on on both the Archer and the Brute, quickly trying to work out who to aid as they are both enveloped with leathery folds of the creatures. Assuming Hotep with his size and strength will have the easier task of the two to break free she walks purposefully towards Ogier calling on her patron for assistance.

Sarenrae, I who stand in the darkest depths call upon you to shine your light and heal this warrior to battle back the shadows

Spoiler: Action
    Show

CLW

(1d8+2)[8]
    (+1 from trait)

Laying her free hand glowing with divine golden light on his leg (or any area free of the leathery monsters grapple) casting the healing into him and holding her shield up with her other hand incase this makes her a sudden target.
    Last edited by ShineyDuck; 2014-04-03 at 04:19 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83

PirateGuy

Maxwell takes a step and slams his great sword into the nearest dark mantle

"Don't look tasty enough eh?"

Show

Assuming the one next to flash is still standing, looking for flank,otherwise move to Ogier and attack the dark mantle there
    Attack (p attack) (1d20+5)[10] and (2d6+9)[12]
    Last edited by Mark_L; 2014-04-04 at 12:36 AM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Hotep struck the flying mouth hard, but the thing kept flying on. As he flailed away with his spear, trying to kill the thing before it could bite him.

Suddenly, it was on him, tentacles gripping his mighty arms, trying to bury its beak into his neck.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure if Hotep gets an AOO when the thing moves in. Did it charge? If so, these things are tough!
    So, AOO if he gets one: (1d20+5)[10], dam: (1d8+6)[12]
    Otherwise, trying to break free of the grapple: (1d20+5)[17]

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

I summon forth another ball of acid, but without a clear target to fire it at, it ends up just dissipating in my palm; I'm not sure whether the risk of hitting an ally is worth taking the shot and err on the side of caution.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Two of the massive beast's latch onto Hotep and Ogier whilst Flash steps aside as the third lashes at him. Engulfed in flapping tentacles that seek to crush and tear Ogier struggles and is held tight, but the wounds close as Fionulla steps up close to the twisting pair. A hand reaching out with healing power as the darkmantle's red eyes glitter eerily at her. Flash and Maxwell tackle one of the creatures, Flash's sword plunging into it as Maxwell is batted sideways and blocked and tangled by the flapping razor sharp tentacles. Hotep, covered in blood and bile stabs and fights and manages to break free of the massive creature.

The two mantles not grappling lash about fiercely with tentacles, the third seeking to crush Ogier in its coils..

Spoiler: Darkmantles
    Show

Vs Maxwell (1d20+6)[13] dam (1d8+3)[11]
    Vs Hotep (1d20+6)[19] dam (1d8+3)[7]

CMB (1d20+7)[23] VS Ogier's CMD or constrict (2d4+3)[11]

27. - Top - End - #87

RogueGuy

Flash will hack at the one next to him but 5ft towards the next one.

Show

(1d20+3)[8]
    Damage (1d8+2)[9]

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Seeing one of the tentacle monsters unattached, I blast it with a third ball of acid!

Show

Spell: Acid Splash
    Ranged Touch Attack: (1d20+2)[4]
    Damage: (1d3+2)[4]

29. - Top - End - #89

PirateGuy

Cursing as his sword gets tangled in the dark mantles tentacles Maxwell renews his assault stepping to catch the mantle between the two armored men.

Show

Attack (w/power attack & flank bonus) (1d20+7)[24] (2d6+9)[19]

If it's dead.. Move to help ogier

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

The big man flexed mightily and flung the darkmantle off, but one of the tentacles lashed out and sliced through his leg. Roaring, Hotep felt his control slip away ... and his dark side emerged, hungry for blood.

Muscles bulging in power, the wild-eyed northlander pulled forth his huge blade and slashed downward.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rage! Draw greatsword, attack w/greatsword: (1d20+7)[20], dam: (2d6+9)[14]

Status
    HPs: 11/23 (down 12); AC: 14; F +7 R +2 W +4; Rage: 6/7