New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAIitp # 49: Please check all baggage before boarding the Rainbow Rail Road

I have temporarily returned! What news from this realm?

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAIitp # 49: Please check all baggage before boarding the Rainbow Rail Road

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    I am definitely trans!
    Mom says she's getting fake boobs before me though.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

I'm going through existential doubt about my sexuality and relationships again.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    I am definitely trans!
    That's super cute! Your mom sounds awesme, Ark.

Quote Originally Posted by lord pringle View Post
    I would appreciate it. This miiiiight end up being up becoming a fairly large battle
    Zinnia Jones has this article on the subject, and if you're in the mood for something more scholarly, here is the study she references on increased stress levels for trans people due to this issue.
    This Minase Iori avatar is a masterwork by Qwernt

DS Friend Code for Pokemon Trades and such. 1549 7971 5718

5. - Top - End - #215

Quote Originally Posted by Selpharia View Post
    That's super cute! Your mom sounds awesme, Ark.

Zinnia Jones has this article on the subject, and if you're in the mood for something more scholarly, here is the study she references on increased stress levels for trans people due to this issue.
    She is.
    Anyone know of Transgendered support groups in Massachusetts?
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

I am definitely trans!
    Oh, nice! What confirmed it?
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    I'm going through existential doubt about my sexuality and relationships again.
    I'm sorry to hear that. I'd ask if you want to talk about it, but I'm imagining that you've spoken about it in previous posts.

Digital hug?

7. - Top - End - #217
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

She is.
    Anyone know of Transgendered support groups in Massachusetts?
    I know they definitely exist. Especially in and around Boston, because it's Boston, it's a major city, and it's Boston.

Google keeps making noises about PFLAG starting in the vicinity of Boston, which is probably of interest to at least your parents if not yourself. Boston Area Trans Support (BATS) keeps getting mentioned as well.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2014-03-18 at 10:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, nice! What confirmed it?

I'm sorry to hear that. I'd ask if you want to talk about it, but I'm imagining that you've spoken about it in previous posts.

Digital hug?
    Hug. It's pretty simple. I have feelings for two people. One of them is demisexual, and I'm pretty sure I'll never be on her dance card. The other is cute and sweet, and I have a little freakout every time I think about asking him out because my feelings about men are really complicated, at least when I'm looking at them romantically rather than just sexually.

I just make it way bigger and more complex in my mind. I'm really good at blowing things out of proportion.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #219

Hi guys and gals.
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

10. - Top - End - #220

Quote Originally Posted by EvilRoeSlade View Post
    Hi guys and gals.
    Hello!
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

11. - Top - End - #221
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    One of the good things is that the uterus isn't really useful except during pregnancies. So people who aren't planning on getting pregnant - like women past menopause - can donate it without really risking much (there is a risk, but it's not huge).

The sad news is that I don't expect trans women to be on the list for transplants soon. It will happen - I don't doubt that - but even if the clinical trials go off without a hitch, don't expect a womb transplant for some time. I don't know how long.
    Wait. Wouldn't a transplant after menopause be a waste of surgical procedure?

I realize I may regret this, but what is a thrysus?
    A staff topped with a stylized pine cone or acorn as part of the ritual paraphernalia of (I believe) a Dionysian mystery cult.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Yeah, is that a Mage reference? =.=
    Yup!

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Lynn View Post
    And of course a hundred years is a long time! That's just shy of half the age of our nation!
    I actually had to recalibrste that. All that fantasy literature in my youth, never had a clear idea of time scale.

And for the English people, it's the same way in the North East of the US. A half hour drive is an all day affair, whereas a half hour drive is about the limit I'm willing to push for commute time to work.

It is really interesting listening to people talk about their perspective on distance, time, near/far, and the like. It really is a very binary debate. Either 100 miles isn't all that far, or it's a weekend trip.
    Would explain why Jade always drives at a bajillionty miles an hour, then. She's gotta go fast to cover all those states over there she can!

Though my hypothesis is it's cold. A mile is a lot longer when you're freezing.

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Spoiler: Transphobia Discussion
    Show
    She wouldn't have even had to interact with living, breathing trans* people. Or even non-trans* people who know a lick about trans* people and trans* issues and concerns.

It's a matter of historical record that there have been trans women who died as the result of complications arising from uterine transplants.

So yeah.

My current understanding is that they've only recently begun to look into uterine transplants again after stopping in the 1970s because in vitro fertilization became a thing, and, IIRC, the trans women who received uterine transplants invariably rejected them and had nasty complications back in the dark ages of the early 20th century.

Anyone recall how things are going with that or with more clarity? I'm sure I've misremembered something there.
    Huh. That's actually news to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    165 miles, apparently. SiuiS beat me to the witty truism though.
    Aye, 265.4 km is a ways.

Hmm. What's the clearance level needed to read brown text? As it's not on the standard spectrum I suspect it's probably Ultra-Violet only. Kindly report to the nearest self-termination booth. Have a nice day! Happiness is mandatory.
    So you're saying the safest character is the one who is truly colorblind?

Quote Originally Posted by Kesnit View Post
    When I was growing up, the nearest city was 30 minutes away. It was a day trip to go there.

Then I moved to the DC area, and my commute 1 way was an hour. (I didn't drive an hour. I used mass transit the whole way. But it was still a 2 hour round trip, every day.)

My current commute is 30 minutes one way, and I do drive it.
    As a wee'n, I used to collect bottles and cans, and exchange them at the recycling center. When I got a dollar, I would go down to Burger King and buy a whopper, because they were 99¢, and then play in their jungle gym for a few hours before heading home.

My mom flipped out when I stayed an extra hour because it was a ten mile walk and she never knew I was out because I only left while she was at work? Yeah.

Hi guys and gals.
    Hi there! Nice dramatic kick~!

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    So you're saying the safest character is the one who is truly colorblind?
    Die mutant!
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

13. - Top - End - #223

Thanks, Batmare is always ready to defend the innocent.

I'm just stopping in to introduce myself. Even though I've got that little venus sign on my profile, I was actually assigned male at birth, I just haven't been able to bring myself to change it to M<F because issues. I was actually introducing myself as female on the internet long before I came to terms with my need to transition.

Anyway I'm not there yet, the road is long and painful. Don't know any queers in RL, I plan to change that but I'm shy and socially awkward so I don't know how it will go. Until then I'm just poking my head into little nooks like this to meet other people.
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

I'm just stopping in to introduce myself. Even though I've got that little venus sign on my profile, I was actually assigned male at birth, I just haven't been able to bring myself to change it to M<F because issues. I was actually introducing myself as female on the internet long before I came to terms with my need to transition.

Anyway I'm not there yet, the road is long and painful. Don't know any queers in RL, I plan to change that but I'm shy and socially awkward so I don't know how it will go. Until then I'm just poking my head into little nooks like this to meet other people.
    Well, this is a pretty awesome community to get support and help in, I'm sure you'll fit in just fine. They haven't even kicked me out yet!
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    Says the professional truck driver :P
    Right... Speaking as a trucker, and not as a person who's driven two hundred forty-three miles for a burger from a particular restaurant...

Well, I'm no longer in self imposed exile from the thread, I'm on hormones for 13 days now, and.... *other people speak here*

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

So I got kicked pretty hard in the feels.

Spoiler: Trigger Warning: Child Abuse
    Show
    Someone just linked me to a comic about a guy who was abused as a child and was worried about himself becoming an abuser. It had a good ending, but it hit me pretty hard. A lot, okay, pretty much all of my sexuality baggage is tied up around being abused as a child myself, and I really like kids. The idea of anyone taking a child's innocence, or hurting them, is one of my berserk buttons and at the top of a very short list of things that can provoke me to physical violence. But the whole "victim becomes the offender thing" is so prevalent, I've got a lot of angst about whether I'd be tempted to do that myself. I know I'd never do it, but it's still a source of doubt, so seeing someone else wrestling with the same fear knocked me right in my weak point. Even though it ended pointing out that that stereotype is false, it poked at one of my wounds.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Someone just linked me to a comic about a guy who was abused as a child and was worried about himself becoming an abuser. It had a good ending, but it hit me pretty hard. A lot, okay, pretty much all of my sexuality baggage is tied up around being abused as a child myself, and I really like kids. The idea of anyone taking a child's innocence, or hurting them, is one of my berserk buttons and at the top of a very short list of things that can provoke me to physical violence. But the whole "victim becomes the offender thing" is so prevalent, I've got a lot of angst about whether I'd be tempted to do that myself. I know I'd never do it, but it's still a source of doubt, so seeing someone else wrestling with the same fear knocked me right in my weak point. Even though it ended pointing out that that stereotype is false, it poked at one of my wounds.
    Spoiler
    Show
    A large percentage (90%?) of people who abuse were abused.
    20%(?) of people who were abused go on to abuse. Sadly, I don't recall the exact numbers. But you should be fine.
    LGBTA+itP

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Lynn View Post
    Right... Speaking as a trucker, and not as a person who's driven two hundred forty-three miles for a burger from a particular restaurant...
    So, you have to drive a really long way for White Castle too?

Well, I'm no longer in self imposed exile from the thread, I'm on hormones for 13 days now, and.... *other people speak here*
    I have decided to start the transition to full time. And that's really all I have.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground

Show
    *hugs tight* I haven't gone through something as bad as you, but I'm still afraid I'll repeat the same patterns as my parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    I have decided to start the transition to full time. And that's really all I have.
    *hugs tight* Lots of luck.
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #230
    Banned

Don't fret none about the icon! It's there to be inclusive, but not prescriptive. You aren't required to even use one let alone use a specific one with certain accuracy requirments :3

And yeah. Long. Painful. Rewarding. That's how it goes...

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    A large percentage (90%?) of people who abuse were abused.
    20%(?) of people who were abused go on to abuse. Sadly, I don't recall the exact numbers. But you should be fine.
    That took me a while. I was sure they were contradictory, but when it clicked, it clicked.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Are dust storms common during the wedding season in Australia?
    More common than you'd think.

Quote Originally Posted by Kesnit View Post
    I did a study abroad in London summer of 1998. Since I was there, I took the chance to play tourist a lot. When I toured the Tower of London, the tour guide said (about the White Tower, I think) "this is the newest tower. It is only 300 years old."

I couldn't help but think "Only 300 years old. It's older than my country, and it's only 300 years old."
    When I was there I played the "Spot the Things Older Than My Country Game". The best thing was a book in a pub that was published around the time of Australia's Federation.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Wait. Wouldn't a transplant after menopause be a waste of surgical procedure?
    As donors. The tissue is still perfectly fine (there have been women past menopause who have received IVF), and most women past menopause don't plan to use their uterus anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Reminds me of this.
    Last edited by Asta Kask; 2014-03-19 at 04:52 AM.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

23. - Top - End - #233
    Banned

As donors. The tissue is still perfectly fine (there have been women past menopause who have received IVF), and most women past menopause don't plan to use their uterus anyway.]
    That makes sense. For some reason I thought "ovary" instead of "uterus".

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

Ovaries would be nice, although I'm not sure how they would interact with testosterone-raised brain... Note, however, that the cis-women who received uterus transplants didn't have them hooked up to the ovaries (it's very fiddly), so they'd still have to get IVF. I don't know if they can give birth vaginally, but planned caesareans are really no danger anymore. I appreciate that some trans women would like to give birth vaginally for psychological reasons, though.

ETA: On the LGBTAI ship, do we go to Rainbow Alert?
    Last edited by Asta Kask; 2014-03-19 at 05:32 AM.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

25. - Top - End - #235
    Banned

Ovaries would be nice, although I'm not sure how they would interact with testosterone-raised brain... Note, however, that the cis-women who received uterus transplants didn't have them hooked up to the ovaries (it's very fiddly), so they'd still have to get IVF. I don't know if they can give birth vaginally, but planned caesareans are really no danger anymore. I appreciate that some trans women would like to give birth vaginally for psychological reasons, though.
    Yeah, that was a clear instance of me not actually thinking.

As for vagunal birth (that's... Honestly how you think that is spelled iPhone?), I am uncertain. Apparently the uterus is a vital structural component of the female torso, yet nothing I have ever read even comes close to suggesting this. Male bias in medical science?

ETA: On the LGBTAI ship, do we go to Rainbow Alert?
    Only if you're absolutely sure sir. It does require changing the bulb.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

As for vagunal birth (that's... Honestly how you think that is spelled iPhone?), I am uncertain. Apparently the uterus is a vital structural component of the female torso, yet nothing I have ever read even comes close to suggesting this. Male bias in medical science?
    If it was necessary, how do women who have had hystos keep their torsos from collapsing?
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Banned

The same way your teeth are necessary to structure your mouth but you can live with one pair of molars, really. Things move around. The uterus is so inter aliased with everything else though, that it's a marvel to think of how a transplant would work.

It's a can of worms! You can grow a body with a uterus in, you can take a uterus out, but I'll be darned if it's as easy to put one in where it wasn't before...

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

When there's no fetus around, the uterus is about 3" by 2" by 2".

ETA: Many of the trial patients are cis women who were born without a uterus. As the uterus grows with pregnancy, other organs just... move out of the way. And it's a not uncommon experience that when the woman sits up after delivery she feels her organs... fall back into their right places.

Ask Braz after the delivery.
    Last edited by Asta Kask; 2014-03-19 at 06:42 AM.

― Tim Fargo

29. - Top - End - #239
    Banned

I wanna point out that the stance you are arguing against is 'women are cans of worms'. If it was a serious argument, you could have just pointed out discrepancies in the average tin and nickel amounts.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Firbolg in the Playground

ETA: Many of the trial patients are cis women who were born without a uterus. As the uterus grows with pregnancy, other organs just... move out of the way. And it's a not uncommon experience that when the woman sits up after delivery she feels her organs... fall back into their right places.
    That sounds like a super gross feeling.
    Jude P.