New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Help, we're *kinda* screwed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    May make the corpse recovery a bit difficult, though. And you really want to ab able to skin that dragon...

Can you wish for the dragon to suddenly suffer a fatal brain apoplexy?
    Priorities dude

Priorities.

"Survival" rates higher than "Getting lots of money". And the GM ain't gonna be favorable on you trying to abuse an already unbelievable situation..

Plus, the Dragon has been summoned. Don't think you will have a carcass.
    Finally, a specific body part of the dragon is still going to have the magic resistance.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Finally, a specific body part of the dragon is still going to have the magic resistance.
    Yeah, any wish that directly affects the dragon is probably subject to MR, maybe saves. (And you probably can't know beforehand if it will be - I don't imagine most DMs would give you that kind of information for making an in-character decision.)

Something like "I wish a mountain would land/fall on the dragon" might be most effective for dealing with it (well, maybe something with less potential for turning the PCs into collateral damage ).

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, see I was assuming the Wish would by-pass magic resistance. I guess that's not necessarily the case though.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

What are the wish restrictions?

Couldn't you just wish to win the battle? Would the drsgon get a saving throw against that?

Or, the fighter is an unstoppable Dragon slayer today?

5. - Top - End - #35
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    What are the wish restrictions?

Couldn't you just wish to win the battle? Would the drsgon get a saving throw against that?

Or, the fighter is an unstoppable Dragon slayer today?
    There's a fine line to walk between "abuse the unlimited power given to you by the GM" and "don't upset the GM with something that wrecks his story"

Since the GM fiated the Wishes into existence in order to deal with a random-related screwup, I say it's a bad, bad idea to try to exploit the wish into making ridiculous amount of money. Don't abuse your GM's generosity, and try to make a good story out of your wish. This is why I liked the "perfect strike" idea. It's something a GM might just handwave and say "it worked" without looking at it too close.

In the end, the perfect wish would be one that negates the terrible strokes of bad luck you've got. Don't try to get ahead.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

"I wish that we had never opened the djinni bottle, and that the consequences from doing so never came to pass."

Or, just wish that the djinni bottle had never been found by your party. Either way, assuming the GM isn't out to screw you, that should undo everything bad that happened.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

The characters got free wishes. Of course the GM is screwing with them.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alejandro View Post
    "I wish that we had never opened the djinni bottle, and that the consequences from doing so never came to pass."

Or, just wish that the djinni bottle had never been found by your party. Either way, assuming the GM isn't out to screw you, that should undo everything bad that happened.
    Actually, the bottle had an Efreet in it. The friendly Djinn came from a ring of summoning. Which the players rolled for and randomly got a Djinn Noble who would grant the wishes.
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Right, I just meant the chain of events that led up to the problem started with the bottle, so that's what they might consider changing.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    The characters got free wishes. Of course the GM is screwing with them.
    Yea, I agree that the GM/DM is messing with them. I'm not sure you can cast a wish spell in combat. Do Efreet get "at-will wish" spells? Generally this has to be cast, making it next to impossible to cast while a bunch of PCs are waling on you. If it was "at-will" NPCs that have wish spells suddenly become the most over powered NPCs of all time, because ALL NPCs will wish for <party kill monsters> and be almost unstoppable. Also wish spells have some limitations (granted, this is up to the DMs discretion) I don't think I could wish for a Red Dragon, unless it was an egg or something.

I'd wish for more consistent rules, but that's just me. But if he can get a Red Dragon, why not wish for a Gold one? Let the dragons/efreet duke it out then wish everyone back to health. Now you have 1 wish to use for something fun.
    Last edited by Drumbum42; 2014-04-01 at 09:43 PM.
    Proud 1st edtion player!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

Welp, since the site's back up, just thought I'd let all you guys know what happened. So, our cleric used a timestop spell, and summoned his Djinn (the djinni named Mr. Cleanie). He extended the Timestop spell with a wish so they could talk, and worked out a deal that if he guaranteed his freedom, our mage would get 5 wishes. So, our party decided to use the wishes to 1.Give everyone in the party 100% fire resist. for the fight, 2. Give everyone in the party invulnerability per the potion,(which only applied to the fighters, whoops), 3.Summon an Ancient Wyrm Gold Dragon to save our bacon if things went downhill, 4. Resurrect all dead party members who'd died in the past 12 hours, and 5.Give every mage in the party (3) an ice breath weapon, since red dragons are immune to cold. First thing that happened when timestop ended, one of our party members actually looked at his sheet and realized he had a Bag of Beans. For those of you who don't know, a bag of beans contains, you guessed it, beans. If planted these beans will summon an item, or a monster, but usually a monster. But if dumped out, they explode, doing 5d4 points of damage. This party member also had a flying broom. You can guess what happened next. All in all, the beans did approximately 154 hitpoints, almost killing the dragon. Some of the other people in our party landed a couple hits, and we got the dragon down to 1 hitpoint. Then, the next turn the dragon got initiative and cast cure critical wounds on itself, but we still were able to kill it. *wipes head in relief and uncorks champagne*

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Sounds like things turned out well for you! Time to break out your skinning knives and visit the best leather worker you can find.

Now you just need to get your DM to tell you if dragon skin armor counts as leather, hide, or something in-between.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Sounds like things turned out well for you! Time to break out your skinning knives and visit the best leather worker you can find.

Now you just need to get your DM to tell you if dragon skin armor counts as leather, hide, or something in-between.
    I'd say it's probably scale armor. (assuming you use the scales as well) I'd assume it would give a solid fire-resist bonus too. The AC may be better then scale because dragon scales are known to be very hard (like non-magical weapons can break or bounce off hard). That's up to the DM though.

And gratz on not becoming lvl9 ash piles! Live to plunder another day!
    Proud 1st edtion player!

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

Dragon armor is specifically supple and non-bulky, weighing 25 lbs for a human-sized suit. This is somewhere between Hide (30 lbs) and Leather (15 lbs), and actually matches Studded for weight quite nicely. Scale weighs in at 40 lbs.

In my campaign, it counts as leather for affecting thieves' skills and determining who can wear it. But that's my campaign. YCMV.