New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Rise of the Crypt Lords (E6 rogue-like, solo)

30 years ago, the Crypt Lords arose.

Their existance had long been rumored and prophesied, but no one really believed the old tales. If such a terrible evil had once existed, how was it ever defeated? And once defeated, how could it rise again?

There may never be an answer to those questions, but the facts are inarguable: The Seven rose, and with them rose armies of the dead, an insurmountable tide of walking corpses. The nations of the world banded together, stalwart knights and masters of the arcane, faithful priests and brave footmen. All to no avail.

It's not easy to fight an enemy that can run, day and night, for weeks on end, without ever tiring. It's hard to face an enemy that never breaks, never routs, never fears. And enemy for whom any and every sacrifice of troops is acceptable.

An enemy whose numbers increase, every time one of your own falls.

The township of Helgen (meaning saint in Danish) is far from any of the battlefronts. Of the Seven Cryptlords, the armies of Űlhamac and Chor are engaged a thousand miles to the north, while Esprecht and Phystos are pushing in from the west and east, respectively. Ur-Chraile has been spotted far to the south, but has thus far avoided combat, while the last two, Odo and Skyth remain unaccounted for.

Until this morning.

The Town of Helgen:

Spoiler
    Show

Helgen is a walled town of 2000 souls - though at present, only around 600 remain: The old, the weak, the infirm. Also a few of dubious morals: Deserters, looters, thieves. Finally, there are some who simply wasn't around when the Kings conscriptors came around, hunters and farmers and so on.

All is not well in Helgen. Crops go untended, stores are running low, and a few old men try to fill the role of constables. The skies are heavy with black clouds, the rains are constant, and the town is in open decay without a populace to maintain it.

Even far from the front, the price of war is heavy.

Then this morning, the citizens that remain woke to a chilling sight. A ring of thralls and soulless surround the town, shoulder to shoulder, thousands of them against the towns scant hundreds. Above their encampment the the red, fanged banner of Skyth the Relentless can be seen.

There is no rescue, and no real option for defence - there are simply too few armed men in town to effectively man the walls. And the fact that the enemy is just standing there, motionsless, patient, only prolongs and deepens the sense of doom and despair.

Last night, you had a dream.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2014-03-18 at 06:35 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Rise of the Crypt Lords (E6 rogue-like, solo)

Erica had awoken in a cold sweat this morning. Her dream had been... unsettling to say the least.

She knew she had to do something though for these people, but she couldn't think what. The ring of the dead was more than the people could hope to overcome. She knew there had to be a way past them, but the more people she took with her, the riskier it would become.

Erica intends to try and gather a couple of others to make a getaway with her. She couldn't think of anything that she could do to help the town. All she could do was get killed to. Besides, even though she had no real reason to believe that it was true, there was something that made her believe, with unshakable faith, the dream.

Spoiler
    Show
    Erica d'Jorasco

I don't know what kind of rolls you want, but Erica is going to look for someone that she believes she believes she can trust to come with her. She would also like to see what she can do about finding a dog to befriend with Wild Empathy.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

As a ranger:

Spoiler
    Show

You have a dog. A big one.

You also know things. Some years ago, the town was plagued by dire badgers. You yourself was instrumental in ending their reign of rather low-scale terror - but for that reason, you know that their tunnels still exist under the town, and has several exits. Both inside town, and out beyond the ring of thralls and soulless. And they are easily large enough for you to navigate - a grown human would have to stoop rather a bit.

As a member of a divine caster class, you also know a few tidbits about the undead. Thralls are basic footsoldiers, near-mindless but driven by a low cunning and instinctive malice. They are not zombies - do not expect them to be slow. Soulless on the other hand are a strange mix of material and immaterial - their bodies fade away below their torsos. They are spear throwers, and seem to have senses beyond normal vision.

Personally, you also know some people - such as Giorn the hunter, Lute the tanner, and a half-elven bowyer called Thuillen.

You are in your home. It is morning.

Your possessions are meagre. You have 2 apples, 1 loaf of bread, 2 candles, and some odd bits of clothing and odds and ends. Starvation is not far off, and nor is winter - the cold is setting in, and you've already burned some furniture in the stove. The neighbors, to be exact, he wont be needing it.

I need to know where you want to go, and when you will go there.

The town has a market (with blacksmiths, merchants, potters, leatherworkers), tho the shops tend to be closed these days. There is a temple, where Brother Cassius holds fervent sermons. There is an inn - the Dragons Breath - where a certain type of rough-shod individual is likely to hang out.

You could also go to the walls, and have a look at the opposition, or to the guard house, where the towns sad excuse for stalwart defenders hang out.

Or any other idea you yourself might have =)
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2014-03-20 at 04:19 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Erica ponders her course of action, if she could leave a trail through the tunnels, the village might just be able to get to safety.

I have to try. I've devoted my life to this town, I can't just abandon it.

Spoiler
    Show
    What does Erica know about the Survival skill, combat ability, and general disposition of Lute the Tanner, Thuillen the Fletcher, and Giorn the Hunter?

Where is the nearest town that might be safer for these people?

Is Brother Cassius, or anyone else in the town, a caster?

What manner of gathering the town's inhabitants is common?

I'm going to swap out a point of Hide for Handle Animal, so that I can teach Spike (the wolf) the following tricks:
    Attack (all) (2)
    Down
    Track
    Heel
    Stay

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Thuillen and Giorn are both experienced in weapon use, and Giorn might be your equal at wilderness lore. Lute is just a tanner.

You're fairly convinced that while no great miracle worker, brother Cassius is capable of at least a few spells. He is, however, old and frail, and very devoted to his flock.

There were once fairly regular gatherings in town, but the war has changed that. People are scared, and tend to stay at home. Frankly, you're a little unsure how many even attend the service in the temple anymore.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2014-03-20 at 01:45 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Erica goes to visit Thuillen. Hopefully she can convince him to come with her. On her way, she listens to anyone out and about talking about the undead.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Techwarrior View Post
    Erica goes to visit Thuillen. Hopefully she can convince him to come with her. On her way, she listens to anyone out and about talking about the undead.
    ... when? Right away, or?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes. First she gives Spike the Stay command. He shouldn't leave the house now without her coming back and saying so. Maybe she could get him a scrap of meat while she was out.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

As you leave your home, grey clouds streak across a sky still crimson with dawn. A chill in the air signals the closeness of winter, and the wind drives a slight drizzle that is neither really rain, nor dry.

Down in the streets, among the buildings, it's still mostly dark. You go left down Tanner Way, across a nameless little square where and old lady used to tell fortunes, and come turn right at St. Ells. Down the road you spot a man rooting among the garbage.

Info:
    Spoiler
    Show

You didn't specify anything, but since you're a halfling, I assume you're fairly stealthy. Hence, you spot him before he notices you.

You do not recognize the man - but that's not as strange as might seem. In such a fairly small town, you know everyone by face and almost all by name, but since the war there has been an influx of strangers that you've yet to meet and greet.

How shalt thou proceed?
    Also, roll listen.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2014-03-22 at 04:08 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Listen: (1d20+8)[13]

Erica learned caution at a young age. She moves up against the wall to better hide herself and pays careful attention to the stranger. At worst, she should be able to go around, but she didn't know what his intent was currently.

Taking 10 on Hide for a check of 20.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Taking refuge in the shadows, Erica listens to the stranger as he tears through various piles of trash and other things - some just contents of chamber pots and kitchen bins, others left or dropped in a hurry as previous owners fled the war, or rushed to join the ranks of defenders.

He goes, softly and slowly, throught a long list of colorful expletives, before saying 'gods dammit, there has to be something in here!'

Since you are unaware of the potential consequences of being discovered - and since those unknown consequences might be dangerous - I'd like a roll for hide.

It is indeed possible to move around. It will make the trip a bit longer, is all.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Damn. Quite understandable though (1d20+10)[25]

Erica takes out a boomerang and steps into the middle of the road, but advances slowly, hands raised as a peace gesture. As she speaks, she hopes that between her size, and the Dragonmark of Jorsasco, she'll seem non-threatening to the man and he won't attack. As she speaks, she is careful to note any hostile action, and holds herself ready to react.

"Hail traveler. What is it you were looking for?"
    Last edited by Techwarrior; 2014-03-31 at 08:34 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

The man, caught completely unaware, jumps in surprise - then whirls, and a couple of long daggers appear in his hands. There is a clear gleam of desperation in his eyes, as he slowly advances.

'A wee halfling, eh? Food, lil miss - I'm looking for food. But I'll take what you have, in exchange for your life.'

We shall need initiative.

Rolls:

Spoiler
    Show

Oh, say - does the dice roller still function?! Well, I guess I'll find out.

Initiative: (1d20+1)[10]
    Other roll 1: (1d20+5)[9]
    Other roll 2: (1d20+5)[18]
    Different roll A: (1d20+8)[16]
    Different roll B: (1d20+6)[15]

A fight seems about to happen. I'd like to know how you plan on reacting.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Erica attempts to act non-chalant as she pulls an apple from her pack.

"Here Stranger. I wish no quarrel with you, but I must point out that I will not go down so easily as you might expect."

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    I'll assume a full-round of actions, since I definitely was not Surprised.
    Move Action: Manipulate Item: Specifically, Erica pulls an apple out of her pack.
    Free Action: 5 ft. Step to the closest wall.
    Standard Action: Ready: Erica will make an attack should he, or anyone else she notice, do anything overtly hostile towards her, such as charging or moving in with the intent to harm.
    Attack (1d20+4)[15]
    Crit Confirm (1d20+4)[20] (crit on 20, double damage)
    Damage (1d3+1)[2]
    Attack roll to catch: (1d20+4)[19] DC 10.
    Last edited by Techwarrior; 2014-03-31 at 08:33 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Clever - I like it.

Erica positions herself against the wall, and as she does so, spots the man's partner - who had been stealthily trying to flank her. The first assailant looks tempted by the apple, but the partner, a scrawny and evil looking man, whispers:

'Look, Eber - it has food. Maybe if we can take it alive, it has entertainment too.'

He grins wickedly as he moves in to attack. As he does so however, he gains a boomerang to the face, giving him a nasty cut across one cheek and upper neck below the ear. He cries out in pain and anger.

The two men attack - Eber, the garbage searcher, with a knife, while his stealthier partner uses a nail-shod club.

Spoiler: Spoiler
    Show

Eber:
    Attack roll: (1d20+1)[8]
    Damage: (1d4)[3]
    He has two knives, because that looks dangerous, but he has no feats with which to make use of both.

Geller (for such is his name):
    Attack roll: (1d20)[1]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[2]

They make a pretty pathetic show of themselves, both missing. As Gellers swing doesn't connect, he flails wildly, and instead hits Eber, dealing him a nasty blow to the shoulder.

Round ends.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2014-04-01 at 03:51 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Erica's AC is currently 16. She doesn't have her shield equipped.

"I don't want to have to hurt you two. You can have an apple each if you withdraw now. You can't take me out."

Erica drops the apple to the ground, keeping an eye on it as it rolls away slightly. She draws her sickle and waits for their reaction, keeping an eye on her two assailants.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Move Actions: Draw Weapon: Her sickle.
    Standard: Ready. Should they continue attacking, Erica will strike at Gebbel if they both continue, or whichever one attacks if one of them halts.
    Attack (1d20+4)[18]
    Crit Confirm (1d20+4)[17] (20, x2)
    Damage (1d4+1)[4]
    Free Action: If she can position herself where they can't just 5 ft. Step to flank, she'll 5 ft. there.

For reference, she has her boomerang in one hand, and her sickle in the other.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

It seems you never rolled initiative? Or did I simply miss it?

Anyways ...

Eber may be an unpleasant man - even more so because of hunger and desperation - but his primary motivation is hunger. His eyes greedily follow the apple as it drops ...

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

He will grab it if it rolls towards him, 50/50 chance. Roll: (1d100)[81]

Seeing the apple end up right at his feet, Eber grabs it, and backs off. He even drops on of his knives to do so.

Geller on the other hand is convinced that anyone giving away two apples must have even more. On top of that, he's evil, racist and a pig. He moves to flank, assuming that Eber will follow suit. Then he swings his club, aiming to hurt.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Geller, attack: (1d20)[14] and damage: (1d6+1)[5]

Had the two assailants been flanking, Erica might not have been able to avoid the solid swing of Gellers club - but as it stands, she's able to dodge it and avoid damage.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2014-04-01 at 09:00 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

My apologies. I assumed you rolled it with your other big pile of rolls. (1d20+3)[23]
    Where does that put her, and did Erica's readied attack on Gebbel hit?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Oh yea - my apologies. I forgot you readied an attack. In hindsight, I'm going to just pretend it happens simultaneously.

As Geller steps in, swinging hard with his club, you attack in turn with your sickle. While Geller misses, you do not - instead, the inward curve of your blade slices across his exposed throat, sending a huge gout of blood into the air. Gellers eyes roll up under his eyelids, and he collapses to the street, unconcious and dying.

Seeing his mate fall, Eber quickly drops his second dagger, and takes another step back - holding up his hands pleadingly.

'I's so sorry, missus - we's just hungry, missus, desperate-like. Please don't kill me.'

Eber cuts a pathetic figure, half-starved, drooling slightly around the mouthfuls of apple, and terribly afraid for his life.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

"I understand. I tried to warn you. Now, get over here and help me stop him from dying."

Erica drops her weapons and kneels over the wounded man, applying pressure to the injuries she gave him to keep them from bleeding out. She tears a strip of cloth from her jerkin and binds the wound.

Erica is asking him to Aid Another on a Heal check to give Geller First Aid. Erica's check: (1d20+4)[9]
    She continues to make checks until she succeeds, or the man dies. Assuming she stops the bleeding, she gives Eber instructions.

"Keep the wound clean and he'll come to sometime in the next day. Tell him he's to be very careful until that wound heals, and you both are not to assault any more people for food. Make sure he gets one of these apples, or that you'll be able to give him something different for food when he comes to. Also, see what you can do to gather what friends you have in the center of town, and try to get anybody else you can. The town needs to leave here, and I know a way out."

With that, Erica continues on her way, after she gathers her weapons again.
    Last edited by Techwarrior; 2014-04-01 at 06:19 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Additional heal checks to see how long it takes: (1d20+4)[20]
    (1d20+4)[23]
    (1d20+4)[14]
    (1d20+4)[10]
    (1d20+4)[17]
    (1d20+4)[13]
    (1d20+4)[23]
    (1d20+4)[21]

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

Eber is basically a blubbering mess - overwhelmed with gratitude, and relief, and so on. He helps to the best of his abilities - he's actually not bad with the first aid - and together you succeed at keeping Geller alive.

Then you move on. It's just a few more streets until you reach the home of Thuillen. The sun is climbing slowly into the sky, throwing red highlights on dark clouds. The rain is picking up a bit, the drizzle becoming light rain. The streets are empty, with people huddling in the relative safety of their homes. You meet no one else until you reach the small but sturdy house in which Thuillen lives.

Sturdy is an accurate description. Thuillen is by no means rich, but his family has been living in these parts for many years. Three generations, from the time of his elven grandfather (Theldarien - tho frankly you don't know that name), racks up to a long, long time. When this house was built, there were no walls and very little of the town, but it was built to last.

Thuillen is a bowyer. That means that his home features a shop, and also of course that he crafts and sells bows and arrows - and other paraphernalia such as quivers and bowstrings and so on. He crafts for the people who come to buy - so in general his goods are not super high quality, no one would be able to afford them anyways. However .... he has his own bow. And all the skill he does not devote to his customers? Yea.

There is a door. You may knock, or do other things as required?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Erica checks her weapons again nervously, and then knocks on the door heavily.

"Thuillen! It's me, Erica."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

The door opens a crack, and a suspicious eye peers out. Then it swings open, and Thuillen says 'Erica! What brings you to my door?' - surprise clear on his face. Behind him, the shop is clearly locked down and not doing business. Displays are empty, shutters are closed tight.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Concern washes over Erica's face.

"Have you looked beyond the wall this morning? Perhaps we should speak inside."
    Last edited by Techwarrior; 2014-04-02 at 05:28 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Spoiler: Clarification
    Show

I think I've described the exact timeline of events in a confusing - or decidedly incorrect - fashion.

The ring of undead appeared yesterday morning. The night following their appearance, you had the dream. So by now, everyone in town knows - unless they're totally isolationist.

'Sure, Erica' answers Thuillen, 'Come on in.' He stands aside to let you in, and as you settle yourself among the bric-a-brac of the dismantled store, he moves to the stove in the next room - from where a low whistling can be heard.

'Do you want a cup of tea?' he calls. You and Thuillen aren't friends, as such, but you know his tea will be an herbal, elven brew of some sort.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Erica accepts his offer if she doesn't think herbal elven brew is going to be some kind of alcoholic drink or somesuch. Otherwise she graciously declines, and gets right down to business.

"I think I have a way out of town, beyond the army's reach. Would you come with me as an ally? I'd like someone to come with, as two pairs of eyes are usually better than one."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

The tea tastes very 'green' - bringing to mind both the sight, smell and ... taste, of the forest. Propably it's more of an acquired taste.

Thuillen mulls over your offer. He's clearly interested, but on the other hand what you're asking is highly dangerous and of little direct benefit to himself. Sure, getting out of the town sounds good, but you really don't know what's out there.

Finally, he says: 'I might join, sure. But for everything I need to leave here - and might never get back - I shall require compensation of say ... 100 gold crowns. Bring me that amount, and I'll join you.'

Spoiler: Thuillen
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

"Let's be completely honest Thuillen. You're going to have to leave this area just to survive, I'm offering you the safest way out of town. You know I don't keep that much gold, and haven't since I came to live in this town. I'll have to start taking on odd jobs and the like, go back to adventuring, to pay anyone anything. I can keep selling the spells off of my Dragonmark once we reach civilization, but even that won't be much, once you account for the d'Jorasco discount. I do understand your concerns though. Assuming you come with me, I'll get you that money as soon as I reasonably can, and you'll get 20% of any profits we make during adventuring.

OOC:
    Is Thuillen's two cantrips and three languages not being listed on purpose?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Posted from my phone, late at night, after a couple beers. Results may not match my intentions.

Ooc: heavens no, he's just a work in progress.

He replies: 'Erica, you claim to have the safest path out of town. I might not agree. I might not even agree that outside is any safer than in. Or I might have my own way out. Regardless, that's my offer. Should you come into possession of the gold - I'll be here.'

Thus speaks Thuillen.